Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

At this point, I'm rather hesitant to support any prequels, as clearly no one knows how to actually pull it off. Granted, Prometheus may make me eat my words.

The Prometheus timeline and keynote speech on the official website are really loving cool, I hope the movie can keep up with that and give us a prequel which actually fits into the fictional universe and doesn't suck out loud.

The difference between a prequel and a documentary is that a prequel is almost always developed after the story it's supposed to precede, which can cause all kinds of plot problems and seems to induce an unusually high degree of hack writing in the form of "cute" or "clever" callbacks to the original property.

Another rare exception to this trend is the Babylon 5 TV movie "In The Beginning", which is widely hailed as both the best of the B5 telemovies and a great tale in its own right, although it does have a framing story in the future of the series and so may not count for the same reason Godfather II doesn't. (I think both should, since making a coherent prequel/sequel doubleheader HAS to be harder than just doing one or the other, right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

The Plan is really bad and you should avoid it unless you want to see dongs.

And to watch Al shank a kid.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Crosscontaminant posted:

I can't buy that they'd go from uncomfortable silence because they're all aware of what he's doing to joining in. It doesn't work for me as a piece of narrative.

Was there ever a period of uncomfortable silence, though? It's been a while since I saw it but it seemed to me that most of the Pegasus crew was on the "gently caress the Cylons, figuratively and literally" train pretty much from the start.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

3Romeo posted:

What I really liked about Kat is that she thought of Starbuck the way Starbuck thought of Tigh, which was a really great perceptual shift for everyone involved.

The problem is that the audience knows that's bullshit. Starbuck earned her cock-of-the-walk attitude and Kat really is a bitchy upstart who literally flew to glory in the wake of a superior pilot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pops Mgee posted:

Hittin the home stretch of my rewatch. I forgot how bad "Deadlock" was. So much dumb stuff happening. And Baltar's harem continues to go nowhere despite it seeming like it might. Was the whole "we need more guns, bigger guns" speech something leftover from the original plan pre-writers strike or just filler?

I think that in the original plan for the mutiny arc, Baltar's cult was going to end up siding with Adama and being a key component to the retaking of Galactica. As it is, it's just a strange bit of disconnected foreshadowing that goes nowhere.

• Locked thread