Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Mahoning posted:

Hell, the most interesting part of the TV show Lost was seeing their backstories, how they came to be how they were at the time we first met them in the wreckage on the beach.
No it wasn't. Although the rest of your argument is valid and true. It's not like everyone avoided Titanic when it came out in cinemas.

Also, maybe I'm really weird, but I find it odd that someone would take the time to post in a thread about a show they didn't think was "that good" 8 years (wait, what, it's only been 3!? :cry: ) after it's finished. I know I haven't got the patience to locate a Studio 60 thread and tell them that their show stunk.

And here's some reminders of the show's greatness, RIGHT HERE:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

counterfeitsaint posted:

Blood and Chrome could be good, but odds are eventually they will do something like introduce Tigh and some doctor
I got ahead of myself while reading this and now I want to see Cottle go through medicine school during the Cylon War.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
If they've got a problem with people believing in God, tell her to get off this planet (or kill a lot of people). BSG is a post-apocalyptic show, there's going to be people left that still have faith. Eventually those people will burn bibles and blow their brains out.

Get better friends.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Urgh, who gives a gently caress about Omar's mum being shot at on a Sunday, screw this show.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
If you really insist on not watching The Plan then at least buy the loving soundtrack. Seriously.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
The last ten episodes of BSG are amazing. Every episode is amazing. I love BSG. It's my favourite show. Everything is great. Every drat minute. I hate you all.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
But if they DIDN'T throw everything into the sun, how would we have EVER had Goodbye Sam/The Heart Of The Sun!? I swear you guys don't even think about this poo poo.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
What BSG quotes do you guys still use on a frequent basis?

I often use (circa Pegasus) Starbuck to Adama's "Anything for you, you know that."

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Pops Mgee posted:

I like to do the "I'm getting my men" schtick but replace men with whatever I'm talking about in the conversation.
In my mind you're a chef and say "I'm getting my spatula" at least twice a day.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Friendly Factory posted:

Doesn't work out so well when instead of slamming down a phone receiver he's forced to slam down a large pot of boiling water

I'm getting my spa-*sploosh* AAAAH THE GODS

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Well that demands this

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
There were what, around 40k humans left? And less than 1,000 capable of fighting a war. Survival of that is the only important thing, kill all the robots if given the chance, otherwise what's the plan? Only kill the Cylons when they're geographically close and probably shooting at you from behind?

Sure, maybe a few humans will have the weight of guilt on them forever. But the other 40k get to live and breed and restart civilisation.

Fake Edit: Should have killed all the male-based Cylons and left Baltar in charge of the Threes, Sixes and Eights.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

LooseChanj posted:

2) The first Earth was the 13th colony, a completely different planet from the one we live on (and which was shown at the end of season 3). You never actually see any identifying features, remember.
Apart from the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I assume you mean the midseason of S4, where you just see a planet.

S3 ends with Starbuck saying she's been to Earth. Then the director whips to showing us Our Earth and EVERY viewer stood on their chair shouting "OH gently caress YES".

Cut to S4 E10, and the BSG stumbles along a planet that looks a bit like ours but isn't. We think it's ours, Adama says on the intercom that they have found Earth. Bear McCreary plays a wonderful piece, we, the viewer almost start crying totally elated that they have found Earth, even though deep down we know there's 10 episodes left and something will go wrong, it's so refreshing to see our favourite characters celebrate something.

Basically:
S4 E10's Earth: Their Earth, the one from the books of Pithia that they've been searching for all this time.
S4 E20's Earth: Our Earth, the one Starbuck lead them too.

S3 Finale's Earth: Our Earth, perhaps not the one Starbuck meant, but the one that she was eventually guided towards by Bob Dylan/Her Dad. First time I've heard the Starbuck's Dad Is God theory, I like it and will keep in mind for the next watch.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Jeez, they cut a bunch out of the syndicated versions of Daybreak parts 2 & 3, which happen to be the versions they have on Netflix now. What the hell? Don't watch the series finale on Netflix.
For example...?

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

DarkCrawler posted:

Opera House, Final Five
Yeah but these didn't even turn up until S2's finale and beyond.

I asked this question a year ago, but lost the answer and am now stuck with a small iPod. I'm in Vancouver (which smells lovely), and for some reason the bus stops remind me of BSG (or maybe Caprica), but I also started freaking out when I saw a random fountain, any help with actual BSGesque locations would be great.

Also does anyone know which mountain leads Tyrol to Eye of Jupiter? Been to the Rockies, and one of the pictures I took reminded me of it.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Teek posted:

Though Vancouver's talent pool strikes its head again, as I saw more reused actors from Caprica and BSG.
I love that, it's like "Hey, his dad was a douche as well".

Watching on an iPod, loved seeing the Galactica again.

Oh and 2 days ago I saw Video Games Live, which obviously has nothing to do with BSG, except for where I saw it:

FRAK YEAH!

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
I assume we're on about Capt Tornvald, in this reiteration? Seriously when I see actors crossover, I instantly go "Oh cool, that's Gage's dad, and this must be his dad's twin brother", it doesn't ruin my immersion, it makes it stronger if anything. And the actor gets to say he's in all three segments of the Galactica world, he gets to tell his grandkids that BSG producers picked him over Sir James Callis.

Why isn't James Callis doing anything? :(

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Rincewind posted:

I'm actually a little confused about why everything looks higher tech, since we're already ten years into the war, so they should have already stripped down and Cylon-proofed all their technology long ago. I always assumed that the Galactica under Commander Adama was representative of wartime technological best practices, just starting to get a bit rundown out of old age, and yet here everything is looking fancier than Pegasus or Valkyrie.
Didn't the Colonies think they were Cylon proof until the Series Actual? Isn't that what Baltar basically helped the Cylons do? There were loads of Battlestars that got destroyed in the miniseries because they were fancy, years after these wars (See: Pegasus)

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
DVD's out on 19th Feb.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
But... But, the cylons themselves didn't know who the Final Five were, they were basically their own species that just ended up reincarnating into other human lives. The cylons didn't purposefully make Saul Tigh be an XO just like they didn't purposefully make him a suit-wearing nobody in a previous life. Right? Right? Oh I don't bloody know anymore.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
You guys means RDM, right?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yeah, I honestly don't see this as being something that going to come up in conversation about BSG even a year from now.
Speaking of, is there anywhere to watch Face of the Enemy or whatever the Gayta webseries was called? Oh and the New Caprica webseries while we're at it, only watched them the once, when they came out, and could do with something to compare watching B&C online to.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
I personally like Caprica, it was like a scifi Mad Men, nothing happened, ever, until when it did and then it was so much more effective because of it.sure, V-World sucked, and I hated the William Adama switcheroo at the end. But the midseason cliffhanger and some of the police corruptness is right up there with my favourite TV moments ever.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
I got a SW feel from the whole episode, what with the snow planet and the 2 guys and a girl listening to rumblings ready for the worst, and the big dumb snake that would have been better as a trash compactor thing.

As for the pilots doing crazier than Starbuck things, you could argue it as a sign of the times, there were billions of people, a seemingly endless supply gadgets and vipers and pilots and knuckle draggers. Everything is just so much more expendable. Starbuck and Apollo couldn't do this dumb poo poo every day because if they hosed up, the entirety of humanity didn't have a dependable pilot left, heck, they couldn't spare to lose a viper, it was 50,000 people vs Infinite Cylons, in B&C the population is what? Over 15 billion? Hell yeah lets all turn our ships into manual nukes and ram it up some Cylon arseholes! SO SAY WE ALL!

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Pretty sure Bear tweeted something about the B&C soundtrack coming out at some point. Syfy know they get a lot of income via McCreary's music, AMC keep getting told by devoted fans but won't take their fingers out.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Isn't this the boxset that doesn't actually include all the extras it claims to (in fact, next to know of them)?

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Aatrek posted:

Ugh, not this again.

Ooh ooh! I know this one! This is where we post Peter Pan quotes, yeah?

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Black Market, and the end credits to The Plan contain 2 of Bear's best pieces over the entire show.

Oh and he recently tweet hinted that the Caprica OST is on the way.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Haven't seen B&C since the youtube premieres, but there's 3 or 4 crossover actors, including Pegasus' Sharon raper Gage(?). I like to tell myself that they're they BSG character's parents.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Pretty sure Singer's BSG is dead in the water, the guy decided to make Jack and the Giant Beanstalk, pretty sure getting to indulge himself in making a remake of a forgotten late-'70s movie isn't going to happen.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
I think people got annoyed because they expected Starbuck to be explained in the finale, but it was actually done before when Baltar outed her as an angel to the whole fleet, that was the explanation.

The finale was watching her on borrowed time, I knew she was going to just disappear during the Lee speech, and it happened at the peak of Lee just being truly, joyfully happy, and I just cried like a bitch through that and the rest of the finale.

Man I just love that show. In my final week of being in Vancouver, went to the Waterfall building which were the appartments for Starbuck, Apollo, Roslin and Boomer, had some Bear McCreary playing on the iPod, good times. His music evolves so brilliantly, with his themes sounding closer to Earth the closer the fleet get to Earth. Listened to Seasons 2, 3 and 4 yesterday (excluding the awesome Daybreak disc), I just love that whenever someone complains about some part of BSG, even though I normally disagree with them, I can always say "Yeah but you have to admit the music was at least brilliant."

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
It might also be worth noting that the Dancing Robots doesn't last as long as everyone remembers.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Snak posted:

Characters walking down hallways was like, half of the best scenes in BSG...

Agreed.

I'm getting my men. One of the best moments of the series, and I think the first time I instantly hit rewind to watch again, for any tv show.

And that music, just great stuff. I've watched more episodes of The Walking Dead and Agents of SHIELD than I'd have liked because of Bear McCreary's involvement.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Hey guys here's my opinion about things I didn't watch. You cannot wiki Bear McCreary's music or Michael Hogan's one-eyed acting. Come back when you've watched the show.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Man, I was kinda annoyed about season 4 starting off with a flashback episode but it's about the Pegasus crew so of course it's worth it. edit: oh poo poo.
We waited OVER TWELVE MONTHS between Season 3 and Season 4 with that "flashback episode" the only thing to keep us going, halfway through. SciFi/SyFy hated us.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Pops Mgee posted:

The only good things from "The Plan" were the attack on the colonies and "ZOOM IN ON THE COCK!" Everything else was loving worthless.

It must truly hurt being so completely wrong.

You missed out Bear McCreary's Apocalypse.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Yeah they've got the Transcendence writer on board, who's also working on the Prometheus sequel, so he's got some experience with terrible titles.

The focus is on remaking the '78 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

haveblue posted:

Earth wasn't just a habitable planet, it was a symbol of the human will to live and something to cling to when there seemed to be nothing else left. That's why the fact that no one actually knew where it was or even if it was really out there was such a closely guarded secret.
It's hadbibibble

• Locked thread