Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bleh. Maybe it's a good thing I never got too excited about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Action movies are fine, the problem is that a TV show is several times longer than an action movie and it's almost impossible to keep the momentum going indefinitely. 24 may have come the closest to that but it had its own problems and eventually fell apart (not to mention it was working with a network budget, not basic cable). And Aliens works because it's only the length of a feature film; it's hard to imagine it being much longer than it already is (not to mention having a yet larger budget and being helmed by one of the best action directors in the business).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If any kind of spirituality at all is a total dealbreaker, then she will probably not enjoy the rest of the show, or any of a vast number of other excellent shows I can think of, but that's her loss.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

298298 posted:

Did something big happen between seasons 2 and 3, or 2 and 4, like a major head writer leaving the show or something?

Throughout seasons 2 and 3, there was a lot of pressure on the show to become more episodic. Also, halfway through season 4, the industry-wide writers' strike happened.

Moore has always maintained that he knew how the series was going to end, the problem was that he never seemed to put much work into aiming at that from the place the show was at any given time, resulting in the clumsy dragging together of threads at the end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How did I know that, when this thread suddenly got 70 new posts out of nowhere, virtually all of them would be about the ending.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

IRQ posted:

Wasn't Badger/Head Cat in Black Market? Either one of them is enough to make it ok.

No, he only appeared at the end of season 3 and briefly in season 4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If they posted it without changing the music it would get taken down for copyright infringement.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VaultAggie posted:

Well I finished Season 3. The court room drama was beyond boring but once the final five appeared the episode turned loving awesome. So Tigh, Tyrol, Ander, that random press lady and Starbuck are the final five, I'm assuming. The only thing that bothers me is that that dumb press lady ends up being a final five. I don't even know her name and she's had no impact at all on the story up until now. It would have been more meaningful to have an actually important person like Felix or Tigh's wife be a final five instead of this random chick.

It's obvious that had Billy still been alive (read: had his actor not decided to jump ship) then he would have been a Cylon instead and it would have resonated much more strongly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

That Rough Beast posted:

Also, the worst thing about the trial sequence was Romo Lampkin. He feels like he stopped over from a Joss Whedon show or something.

Only because half the people in this thread kept posting :neckbeard: BADGER :neckbeard: whenever he was onscreen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Of course he denied it, that's completely in character.

vvvvvvvvvv Not explicitly, but every piece of circumstantial evidence points to Baltar.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 13, 2012

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That was the whole point. The Cylons started out being seen as the genocidal aggressors and the humans started out as the wronged survivors and over the course of the show they drifted towards each other until they met in the middle.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Snak posted:

Billy was like, my favorite character and I was so pissed when he died right after finding out Dualla was dumping him for Lee. Dualla is a villain for doing that :colbert:

fake edit: ^ my ex's cat was named Helo after the BSG character...

No, Billy's actor is the villain for instigating that by wanting off the show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fly McCool posted:

Dualla's suicide made no sense to me whatsoever.

Suicide often doesn't to anyone else. I think it was a completely plausible response to finding out that the home you've dreamt of for literally years is actually a radioactive wasteland.

quote:

And for that matter nor did the absolute insistence on finding Earth. Galactica had discovered at least one previously unknown but habitable planet so why couldn't there be others?

Earth wasn't just a habitable planet, it was a symbol of the human will to live and something to cling to when there seemed to be nothing else left. That's why the fact that no one actually knew where it was or even if it was really out there was such a closely guarded secret.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

eriktown posted:

Him leaving really hurt the show

I'd actually finger this as my least favorite retcon (or at least unplanned change). The Billy/Dee storyline and the hope for the future it represented was one of the most human and positive parts of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Admiral Bosch posted:

Hero, Woman King, Black Market... I think there's a 4th I pretty much always skip.

Epiphanies (the abortion episode).

• Locked thread