Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I pad the gently caress out of my post count with the critique sub forum. It gets you MP access and you get to help people suck less at face ups! Dolly Debate is also a good place to make posts. It is, however, full of retarded poo poo. Seriously, I'm reading a thread that is full od people who think their dolls cry when they put them away in their carriers.

Also, does anyone else collect stupid doll names?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Hand
Nov 3, 2011
Stupid doll names are a dollar a dozen in the doll hobby. Every doll is an aristocratic steampunk crossdressing immortal teenaged gay goth lolita elf demon god from Japan and requires a Japanese, mythical, or inexplicably British name.

Though you mentioned the 'dolls are real' people that haunt Dolly Debate, you did not mention the many, many people who answer with the intent of trying to seem too cool and smart for the topic and respond to the thread's question with another question.

Dead Hand fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 23, 2012

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
My favorite stupid names are the ones that make it look like the owner just pointed to a random word in the dictionary and made it their doll's name. My favorite so far is Temporary. :downs:

As for everyone else in Dolly Debate...yes. Really, just go in assuming everyone is terrible. You are 99% likely to be correct.

MadameFishcake
Oct 21, 2010
I'm pretty excited-- A friend gave me a discontinued Leeke Mini head the other day for doing several face-ups for her, and now I've got a body for her on layaway. She's gonna look pretty drat weird next to my chubbier Volks MSD, but oh well. :unsmith: Hopefully they can still share clothes and I won't have to make tons of new stuff when the body arrives.

But, yeah, this is gonna be my fifth doll, and my first non-Volks. I own a Sunlight F-22, a MSD Mika, an oldskin F-08, and a Cyndy on an SD10 body. My preference is for dolls that remind me of antique porcelain dolls, like dolls that give you a fuzzy nostalgic feeling when you look at them. It's a huge stress-relief for me to just come home and sew some shamelessly frilly poo poo. :downs:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Argh. Last night I couldn't sleep (not because of BJD) and I suddenly put two facts together:
  • Working with resin without expensive protective equipment will give you lifelong lung damage. (See excellent thread on "why you need a respirator I am SO not kidding")
  • Bobobie/Resinsoul are made in China, which is famous for not paying attention to worker safety (See every article ever about Apple/Foxconn)

and realized that if Chinese BJD are cheaper, it's probably because somebody in China has a lung full of powdered resin. drat it. Obitsu it is.

Edit: I can totally do BBCode markup, yes indeedy.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
While you do need a good respirator when sanding resin, they really aren't that expensive (especially compared to dolls), and for the casting itself, just don't huff the liquid and you're pretty much fine. I did resin casting in college, it's not that dangerous, especially compared to enameling with lead.

Edit to add: I realize now you mean more extremely poor Chinese people lacking safety equipment. I sincerely doubt there is tons of resin dust flying around, simply because there isn't that much sanding done. If a company sands seams, they probably have a sanding area and don't parade it around blowing it on the workers. And there really isn't a huge seam in the first place, I only got a little resin dust on my jeans when I gave someone else's doll pierced ears. Sprues are probably cut off with a knife, maybe touched up with a dremel, if they even use sprues. I didn't when I cast, and my doll came out really well. I don't have her anymore, or I'd show pictures, but I don't think it's as bad as you fear. I just can't see how there would be that much resin dust, even in a factory.

Also, hi thread. I realize now I haven't posted before. I'm on DoA, I have a few dolls, I'm not one of the psycho ones, I made a doll in art school, and I'm selling my Abio Angel to buy a Dollfie Dream. :)

milpreve fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 23, 2012

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thank you, Milpreve. I have a question for you: what the heck is resin? Is it just a fancy name for "yet another plastic-like chemical substance"? Do you have to heat it after casting to fuse?

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Argh. Last night I couldn't sleep (not because of BJD) and I suddenly put two facts together:
  • Working with resin without expensive protective equipment will give you lifelong lung damage. (See excellent thread on "why you need a respirator I am SO not kidding")
  • Bobobie/Resinsoul are made in China, which is famous for not paying attention to worker safety (See every article ever about Apple/Foxconn)

and realized that if Chinese BJD are cheaper, it's probably because somebody in China has a lung full of powdered resin. drat it. Obitsu it is.

Edit: I can totally do BBCode markup, yes indeedy.

There are resin dolls at BBB price levels from different companies if you don't really want to go with an Obitsu. I'm gonna go add some to the OP so people will know to look elsewhere for an affordable first doll if BBB/RS isn't their thing.

MadameFishcake
Oct 21, 2010
Also note that a lot of discontinued, unpopular, or older dolls seem to be going for really cheap on the DOA marketplace these days. If you like customizing, maybe a fixer-upper is for you?

I got my oldskin F-08 girl for like half of what a new SD10 straight from the company would be, and I've seen some leeke and customhouse standards go for crazy low. The Leeke Eli head my friend gave me apparently only set her back 20 bucks, for instance!

I don't have any first-hand experience with any of the chinese companies, though, besides handling them at meets...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My Cunning Plan (TM Blackadder) is to stalk the market. I really truly want a doll primarily to use as a model for costuming; as long as it's roughly human-proportioned (longer legs are standard), that's good. Okay, and I do want a head that's more on the human side and less on the Margaret Keane side.

Edit: Also, please tell me more about which makers are disfavored?

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank you, Milpreve. I have a question for you: what the heck is resin? Is it just a fancy name for "yet another plastic-like chemical substance"? Do you have to heat it after casting to fuse?

It's basically two liquid parts that have a chemical reaction to heat and solidify. Then it's basically a funky plastic that doesn't liquefy ever again. Resin will burn before it melts.

Dorky
Mar 10, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My Cunning Plan (TM Blackadder) is to stalk the market. I really truly want a doll primarily to use as a model for costuming; as long as it's roughly human-proportioned (longer legs are standard), that's good. Okay, and I do want a head that's more on the human side and less on the Margaret Keane side.

Edit: Also, please tell me more about which makers are disfavored?

I think if you want a more realistic doll, your best bet is to get something like the Iplehouse EID/SID models. They're quite large, but I haven't seen anyone else that has sculpts as realistic as theirs. There might be something better though, seeing as how I don't know that many BJD companies.

And if you make your own resin, it really stinks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm actually impressed by Angel of Dream's default female body. I wish Resinsoul's male body for Feng (scroll to bottom for comparison) didn't have such freakishly short arms. And Gang has weirdly narrow shoulders. MY LIFE IS HARD. HARD I TELL YOU.

Edit: BBCode, not HTML.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Have you looked at Feng clothed? Some time ago I was looking at buying a Wu, who also has the freaky short arm thing going on, and found that it isn't quite so noticeable when the doll is clothed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That's what makes it all so complicated! I have utterly lost my heart to Doll Family Ran Qi (can I claim to have multiple hearts?) but all the photos show her in long robes. It turns out that she's actually this body, whose toed-in stance and childish physique I dislike.

I think it's starting to grow on me....

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I feel like you could find a better body for a similar price, but I'm a little biased toward bodies with three part torsos. Those elbow and knee joints though...:swoon:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tell me what you see when you look at the elbow and knee joints? (Nice Syo there.)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Don't you mean :syoon:? :v:

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
They just look like they move and pose nicely. Having the double joints with the "peanut" pieces at the elbows and knees gives you a wider range of poses, such as the ones seen on the website. They look a little less "human", but if you're basically just using one like a mannequin I don't know how much that matters to you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm pretty sure that if (when) I go through with this some doll-playing will ensue, yes indeedy.

(Edit: Hee, Wandering Knitter! Quite right. I am currently swatching the project I'll do for the Ravelympics. )

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
A Syo doll would be amazing, and yet tricky since the doll would be a spoiler. Then again, it would be totally worth it for the tiny little scissors. :v:

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Super! :D

If anyone wants to chat over IMs rather than stretch the thread with questions/answers, my AIM name is in my profile, or you can add me on Google chat (hdcpunk@gmail.com). I need more doll buddies to sperg with. :v:

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Wow, I had no idea there was a BJD thread here. I'm Haruhi on DOA (shutup) and all I have to say is: gently caress you Dollshe. gently caress you, and I'll take those words back only after I get my Bernard. :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Little Miss RKO posted:

Wow, I had no idea there was a BJD thread here. I'm Haruhi on DOA (shutup) and all I have to say is: gently caress you Dollshe. gently caress you, and I'll take those words back only after I get my Bernard. :(

Man, I remember when those were the most "adult"-looking male dolls on the market. Back when a Bermann was worth its weight in passive-aggressive angel cat emoticons.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Pick posted:

Man, I remember when those were the most "adult"-looking male dolls on the market. Back when a Bermann was worth its weight in passive-aggressive angel cat emoticons.

I never wanted a male doll, but Bernard's soft face changed my mind. He's cute enough for me to live with being grouped in with the creepy Dollshe fans. =.= Even my plan for it is almost creepy, but it made enough sense that my boyfriend even begrudgingly agreed with it.

Of course right after I posted last night, Dollshe replied to me on the Q&A board and changed my status to before shipping.

I guess pointing out that someone who ordered a pale doll on the same drat day as me (back in March) got a shipping notice, followed by someone who ordered a pale doll two months after me getting their notice, was enough for them to derp on over and box my order too.

Dorky
Mar 10, 2012

Little Miss RKO posted:

I guess pointing out that someone who ordered a pale doll on the same drat day as me (back in March) got a shipping notice, followed by someone who ordered a pale doll two months after me getting their notice, was enough for them to derp on over and box my order too.

It sucks that it took so long, but I'm glad to hear they finally boxed up your doll. Congrats!

And what makes Dollshe fans creepy, if you don't kind my asking? I've never had any experience with them,so I have no clue why this is.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Dorky posted:

It sucks that it took so long, but I'm glad to hear they finally boxed up your doll. Congrats!

And what makes Dollshe fans creepy, if you don't kind my asking? I've never had any experience with them,so I have no clue why this is.

I've avoided dollshe threads for quite a while now, but I remember back when I first joined DOA and they were the flavor of the month (right before Lishe, maybe?) they were all over the yaoi threads.

It might have toned down since then, since now there's other mature male options, but back when they were the only "adult" looking males, the gallery threads kinda started to weird me out...

The first reference I ever heard to how "gifted" Dollshe's bodies are is a thread about how hard it is to fit Hounds into normal SD pants...

Edit: And my wait isn't nearly as long as some others! If no one here has heard of Dollshe's backload of orders, I'd be glad to tell the tale! It begins around Winter/Spring 2011... Maybe even before that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Don't forget the stigma of Naomi and Grimm.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Pick posted:

Don't forget the stigma of Naomi and Grimm.

I don't think I've heard of those; do share! I started avoiding doll communities pretty quickly.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.

Little Miss RKO posted:

I don't think I've heard of those; do share! I started avoiding doll communities pretty quickly.

There was (is?) a megathread on Den of Demons about Naomi and Grimm. Short version- StephG pairs up a 70cm Hound and a 43cm Narae and makes loads of creepy photo stories about their OMG tru wuv, including holding a mock marriage that other doll owners attended. She always protested that Grimm was just a very tall fae creature while Naomi was a short human but it still looked pedotastic as poo poo.

Edit: Here, if you have a DoA account take a look at this.

Casca fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 4, 2012

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
How creepy do you have to be that even your dolls look like they're tired of your bullshit? :stare:

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Oh wow, that's um...

Exactly the reason I never even consider clicking the photo story forum. No matter how curious I am to see how something poses.

The Dollshe problems now are just related to the company's complete inability to keep a deadline, combined with the stupidity of not canceling your next event sales when you're still backed up from the first one.

At its worst, Dollshe was 800 orders BEHIND and still taking new orders.

The people cancelling their sale dolls kept opening slots that went up for sale on the Dollshe site, so I guess thanks to that I was able to get my doll for under $400, but Jesus Christ, Dollshe, learn to admit when you're overwhelmed.

And now he's started the next sale, making the old sculpts available again, when he hasn't even finished filling the old event orders... But he considers himself caught up because the ones that were ordered during the actual event dates are done! But who knows how many were ordered afterwards due to cancellations? And this is all from a company that doesn't believe in freebies, so they really don't even make up for it.

Never have I seen such an amazing example of being in business purely from cache and quality of work. It sure as hell isn't service, affordability, or reliability.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Just in case there are any newbies interested in a starter doll or experienced folks who want a project doll, I know of somebody who's selling a YoSD-sized doll (legit, not recast) for $65. It's a Customhouse Ange Ai Gaby, if that matters to anyone. It had a bad tan job, and is still a little blotchy, but with the right care it could be a perfectly good doll. Or you could say it has vitiligo, whatever.

Grape Juice Vampire fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 5, 2012

KitschCraft
Jun 27, 2008
I've seen these dolls online for years, and I can't stop looking at them. They have such pretty faces. My resolve is weakening. I could knit them such lovely tiny things...

Does anyone still have invitations available for DOA? I'd really appreciate one.

(I've got plat if anyone has an invite to spare.)

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

KitschCraft posted:

I've seen these dolls online for years, and I can't stop looking at them. They have such pretty faces. My resolve is weakening. I could knit them such lovely tiny things...

Does anyone still have invitations available for DOA? I'd really appreciate one.

(I've got plat if anyone has an invite to spare.)

I've got some. If you don't want to post your email address here you can just email me at hdpcunk@gmail.com and I'll send one to you.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I have 3 BJDs, two of which have terrible faceups because I did them myself. The one I sorta consider my pride and joy (despite her having a terrible faceup) is my Happydoll Dorothy. I managed to get her just before Happydoll went out of business, and I don't think I've seen even used ones for sale since, so I know I was lucky to get her when I did. Downside is that her boobs make it hard to find pre-made clothes that will fit.

(The faceup actually looks better in this picture than I think it does in real life. Hosted on my livejournal.)

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Have you tried buying clothes that are designed for Iplehouse's EIDs? They're typically designed with T&A in mind.

KitschCraft
Jun 27, 2008

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

I've got some. If you don't want to post your email address here you can just email me at (redacted) and I'll send one to you.

Sent you an email, thanks! :neckbeard:

e: it didn't go through. Mine is (removed), would you mind sending an email my way?

e2: Got it! Thanks again.

KitschCraft fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 27, 2012

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Have you tried buying clothes that are designed for Iplehouse's EIDs? They're typically designed with T&A in mind.

Looking at measurements, that'd actually be like about the only doll that's got measurements several cm larger than my doll's. The dress she's wearing in that picture is a Dollmore Model doll dress, but I don't really like most of what they have available on their site.

Just annoying as hell to see something oh-so-cute and then read "Fits SD13 and similar" because there's no way I could fit her into SD13 clothes. The Volks SD-16 is close, but the waist measurement means that those clothes might be just too tight to fit there, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

KitschCraft posted:

Sent you an email, thanks! :neckbeard:

e: it didn't go through. Mine is stefnsnider at gmail, would you mind sending an email my way?

Sent. :D

@taiyoko: Man, that sucks. Well, I'm thinking about setting up a swap for later in the year, so maybe then you can get a custom piece for her.

• Locked thread