Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was thiiiiis close to posting an unboxing just to mock the concept. But then I was genuinely excited, and my irony melted.

She will make a perfect '20s siren. Her hair is gelled to within an inch of its life so that her bob will stay put. Long-term I may try rinsing it and using a little less gel to go for either kiss curls or a Louise Brooks effect. I am also contemplating how I can get fine enough hand control to remove the tiny scar from her cheek without destroying her eyes, &c. She has adorable wee silver bolts in her neck! I think I may try using white chiffon for her first dress, but chiffon is a bitch so I may grab some grey/silver brocade and make a bathrobe. The brocade is too heavy for her scale, but what the frick, this isn't a competition.

Crappy cellphone shots ahoy.

Ultra-gelled hair run through Instagram:

My daughter and I tried to give her Lady Gaga hands:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BTW, check out this dude on Etsy who makes custom Monster High shoes... and torsos.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/DolliciousCustoms

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Oh my god, they have two-headed torsos. Now I need to own a Monster High. :sigh:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Anything that contains a warning "and my torsos lack a "buttocks crevasse" is okay by me.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was thiiiiis close to posting an unboxing just to mock the concept. But then I was genuinely excited, and my irony melted.

She will make a perfect '20s siren. Her hair is gelled to within an inch of its life so that her bob will stay put. Long-term I may try rinsing it and using a little less gel to go for either kiss curls or a Louise Brooks effect. I am also contemplating how I can get fine enough hand control to remove the tiny scar from her cheek without destroying her eyes, &c. She has adorable wee silver bolts in her neck! I think I may try using white chiffon for her first dress, but chiffon is a bitch so I may grab some grey/silver brocade and make a bathrobe. The brocade is too heavy for her scale, but what the frick, this isn't a competition.

Crappy cellphone shots ahoy.

Ultra-gelled hair run through Instagram:

My daughter and I tried to give her Lady Gaga hands:

You can rinse her hair in warm water to get out some of the glue! :eng101:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Little Miss RKO posted:

You can rinse her hair in warm water to get out some of the glue! :eng101:

And similarly, you can use hot (possibly even boiling) water to help set it in the shape you want it without using a ton of gel/glue/whatever. Just be sure to take a few strands and test it in the water temp to make sure it's not too hot.

Clockwork Eggplant
Nov 3, 2010

Then he said he has hair, it's just that it's scalp-colored.
Arsenic Lupin, using the grey-skin Frankie for a '20s actress is such a great idea that I might steal it and try it out myself. Please keep us updated!

Here's another etsy shop selling custom shoes for MH, as well as torsos. Including a clear torso with glitter that I'm starting to consider getting (as well as a CAM set to use with it).

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I just got my third Hujoo baby in the mail (you hush, they are awesome tinies :colbert:) and he's utterly blank. I think it's time for me to :derp: TRY MY FIRST FACE UP :derp: Wish me luck! I'm using Testors instead of MSC, but I think I should be alright.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Testors is pretty alright. I think it tends to yellow a little over time, but the yellow isn't a stain in the resin, and washes off.

Dorky
Mar 10, 2012
Yeah, testors can yellow, but it's good otherwise. Works just as well and smells just as bad as MSC in terms of how well it works as a holding surface for your pastels/etc. Of course, generally speaking, you don't want to smell either of them when you're working on a faceup.

Good luck! :)

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Luckily, the doll I'm using it on (ABS Hujoo Ted) is already sort of a mellow pinky yellow, so it may or may not be a problem.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Lookit my MH dollies. :) I'll consider it modding since I'm gonna be spending all night properly styling Cupid's hair.

IMAG0188 by A Humfleet, on Flickr

IMAG0185 by A Humfleet, on Flickr

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.
Does anyone know if it's OK to use Purity Seal on MH dolls? A quick google tells me it's fine, but there's not a lot of info.

I also just found out from DOA that it's fine to use on resin, which is dead handy seeing as Dullcote was banned by the EU (and it's yellowing rubbish anyway) and MSC is pretty much impossible to get ahold of.

I'm glad somebody else tested PS out on resin; hosed if I was going to spray it on my expensive dollies as a test.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

How do you style that sort of hair, by the way? Besides "use hot water", I mean. Long, long ago I had a doll book that recommended using pencils as rollers.

What happened to MSC? I see lots of entries in the DoA saying "Will do faceups for MSC" -- did the manufacturer discontinue it?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How do you style that sort of hair, by the way? Besides "use hot water", I mean. Long, long ago I had a doll book that recommended using pencils as rollers.

What happened to MSC? I see lots of entries in the DoA saying "Will do faceups for MSC" -- did the manufacturer discontinue it?

Junkyspot isn't selling it lately that I've seen, so I'm really not sure.

And this is where I'm at with fixing Cupid's hair right now. Still a lot of work to do. :(

IMAG0211 by A Humfleet, on Flickr

Clockwork Eggplant
Nov 3, 2010

Then he said he has hair, it's just that it's scalp-colored.
Volks' US store site used to sell it, but it looks like they've stopped too, and are only carrying their own brand, ZM finishing spray. They used to sell both, so I don't think it was a matter of them focusing on their own stuff. I haven't tried ZM spray. It's a little cheaper than I remember MSC being, but if I remember right, shipping from Volks can be pretty pricey. I wonder if there's some sort of new law/regulation now prohibiting MSC's import? I've had that happen with some Japanese stationary supplies in the past, where all the online retailers just stopped carrying it and I didn't find out why until I was in the Kinokuniya stationary store and asked a clerk.

Granted, I stopped following the BJD community a few years ago, and now only really follow this thread and fyeahbjdmods, so I am well out of the loop as far as doll news goes.

In an unrelated note, where would I get a chair that would look okay with a 1/4 sized doll? Hopefully something that wouldn't take up too much room.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Clockwork Eggplant posted:

In an unrelated note, where would I get a chair that would look okay with a 1/4 sized doll? Hopefully something that wouldn't take up too much room.

You could make one! My Froggy Stuff has a few tutorials for chairs in scale for an 18" doll, so roughly 1/4 size. You can also look around for American Girl stuff, though the furniture might be a bit bulky for an MSD, as AGs are a little chunkier.

Fake edit: Googling American Girl stuff led me to a brilliant tutorial for how to make tights/leggings out of knee socks. :swoon:

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It depends on the style. Back when I could be arsed to reroot Pippa dolls (and put up with the bleeding fingers), I used cut down straws, toothpicks and pipecleaners as curlers.

You have to test a hair sample every time though; I once used a new colour of a brand of hair I'd used before to do a Pam Grier style afro. I forgot to test it and as soon as I boil permed it, it all melted and snapped off.

That was 5 hours of bleeding fingers and rerooting down the toilet. I promptly shot myself in the face and now post from beyond the grave.

To clarify; I'd pour on boiling water, let it cool for a bit then pour on cool water and let it dry naturally before taking the rollers out. I'd often dry them out on top of a radiator to make sure the inside of the head dried completely. It is a very imprecise art, because unless you can test a sample beforehand you don't know how that particular hair-type/doll head will behave.

VoodooSchmoodoo fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 2, 2012

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Deal alert: Some Bratz and Moxie Girl dolls just got discontinued, so they're on clearance in a few places. Great for clothes scavenging/practicing on vinyl!

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Hey guys, remember those before pictures of Cupid's hair?

C. A. Cupid by A Humfleet, on Flickr

:D

Edit: I AM SO PROUD

moonsour fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 2, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Deal alert: Some Bratz and Moxie Girl dolls just got discontinued, so they're on clearance in a few places. Great for clothes scavenging/practicing on vinyl!

Liv Dolls are vanishing from the stores near me, and a lot of them are going on clearance. I'm only mentioning because their wigs are sized 5/6 and work really good with BJDs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

drat, that's gorgeous, Little Miss RKO. And VoodooSchmoodoo, I appreciate your taking the effort to type with rotting fingertips.

Edit: I wonder why Monster High dolls have those weirdly arched backs? It's going to make the straight '20s line take some finagling.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I repainted my Ghoulia's face. It's really sloppy, but I guess I can redo it again later. :x

IMAG0305 by A Humfleet, on Flickr

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Much more disturbing. I like. Did you use acetone to strip the original face?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Much more disturbing. I like. Did you use acetone to strip the original face?

I did. It came off super fast. I didn't even have to press down with a towel, practically!

Lassarina
Dec 6, 2011

A little of everything, I have craft ADD.
Wow, its been to long since I checked this thread. I do MH customs! Here is my deviant art where I have a few posted: http://lassarina-jewelry.deviantart.com/

I have a ton of WIP right now, though. I need to finish them up so I can post them to my etsy. I have a bunch of bad camera phone shots on my tumblr here: http://www.lassarina.com/

I just absolutely love the hair on this abbey: http://www.lassarina.com/image/27659083715 I curled it with straws.
First thing i did was section her hair and put a little bit of aluminum foil on the tip, and stick that into a straw that has been slit all the way up the straw. Wrap it around like a curler, and then use a sewing pin to stick it onto the head. when you have her head completely covered in curlers, I take 2 cups, one with boiled water from the microwave, and the other with ice water. Put the whole head into the boiling water first, let the hair set for 5 min, then the ice water for 5 min. You don't have to wait for the curlers to dry, you can take them out right away. I finger styled her hair until it dried, then took a comb and backcombed the curls to give her the halo afro look.

ask me about my goodies :)

Lassarina fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 8, 2012

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Anyone aside from Knitter and me going to the NYCC meetup?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
We're combining the awkwardness of a goon meet with a doll meet up! It's going to be awesome! :toot:

Goldirocks
Mar 17, 2008
I'm not going but I have a friend going who will be my shopping service for the Soom booth. It should work out to be cheaper to have him buy something for me and the cost of his badge than paying second hand for a monthly doll. I'm way too excited for a convention I'm not even going to. :sweatdrop:

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

I'm really liking all the MH customs. I've noticed a lot of BJD people are getting them now; their molds remind me a lot of Marina Bychkova's stuff. NWS for nudies:

:nws: http://www.enchanteddoll.com/galleries/index.html :nws:

I got a 3 pack that I'm hoping to work on soon.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Holy cow, I want everything she ever made. recent Ebay auction :nws: A steal at a mere $26,700.50.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I finally got another package notification. It was just my stupid wig stand. :negative: When will my mohair wig get here?!

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy cow, I want everything she ever made. recent Ebay auction :nws: A steal at a mere $26,700.50.

Ugh, I remember when she only charged $700 for a custom doll. I wish I'd bought one then. How dare she be successful! :argh:

:negative:

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

I also found somebody who can competently do an albino face up! :woop:

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

^ What doll is that? She's sweet!

I just came across this eyeball seller on Etsy. They look pretty nice, and I don't normally like German style glass eyes:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/YovankaBlack

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

I just came across this eyeball seller on Etsy...

Now there's a sentence you don't see every day.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh my god, Iple finally restocked some cool EID man outfits.

IT IS TIME.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

^ What doll is that? She's sweet!

I just came across this eyeball seller on Etsy. They look pretty nice, and I don't normally like German style glass eyes:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/YovankaBlack

She's a Volks School Head A. :3: I'm sending her out for a face up soon. I can't wait to see her finished!

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

That's one of my favourite molds, I've been out of the hobby so long I didn't even recognise it. I didn't get one in the end because I already have a Schulze which is the mini version. You are now officially a Volks Elitist, by the way!

^ Don't tell me that, Pick. I am so broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Having finally found gainful employment, I've put in my order for a doll finally! Ordered 5StarDoll's Chu from Denver Doll Emporium this morning. Waiting for my first Paypal invoice. Providing layaway plans is really nice of them. :shobon:

• Locked thread