Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

You can't fool me Soom! Those are clearly axolotl dolls!

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Oh god DAMMIT Soom you can't do that to me. Those eeeeears :3: I don't usually care for Soom's tinies, but those are so cute and unique!

@Sudden Guts Pill: Welcome to the club!

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I got a Soom Mini Gem for my 21st birthday from my mom. I was really disappointed in the feel of their resin. The doll just felt really cheap. I loved the monthlies, but I know now I'll never buy one because I don't feel they are worth the money. I know lots of people do, and I respect their choice, but I don't have to agree. I adore my doll just fine, but she just isn't as quality as the other companies I've handled (Fairyland, Abio Angel, Volks, Dollmore, to name a few). But they are cute.

Does anyone have any advice about selling a doll? I need to sell my Abio Angel, but she's my first and I'm emotionally compromised. I don't want to overvalue her, but I'm willing to wait for a good buyer.

Linear Ouroboros
Mar 30, 2007
Sweet loving Ginger!
I wish I had never found this thread.

I've found myself browsing bjd pictures, fantasizing about what I could create and trying to justify a purchase.
My boyfriend has already told me he sees zero reason why I need a "dolly baby", and I can already tell I'd spend eons creating face ups. Every minute I am in the studio not creating something to sell is wasted time.

But.... I could get a Monster High doll and redo her on the sly, right? I mean, it's not much money, maybe it will get this out of my system, it's only one doll...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

milpreve posted:

I got a Soom Mini Gem for my 21st birthday from my mom. I was really disappointed in the feel of their resin. The doll just felt really cheap. I loved the monthlies, but I know now I'll never buy one because I don't feel they are worth the money. I know lots of people do, and I respect their choice, but I don't have to agree. I adore my doll just fine, but she just isn't as quality as the other companies I've handled (Fairyland, Abio Angel, Volks, Dollmore, to name a few). But they are cute.

Does anyone have any advice about selling a doll? I need to sell my Abio Angel, but she's my first and I'm emotionally compromised. I don't want to overvalue her, but I'm willing to wait for a good buyer.

If I hadn't resold him, Euclase would have been one of the worst purchases of my life. Now it's Iple or nothing for me personally.

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.
Yeah, I'm not all that keen on my Soom Chalco - something about his aesthetic bothers me; he's kind of cartoony. It didn't help that when I painted him up he looked like a cross between Brett Michaels and a Vegas showgirl. I really need to repaint him.

However, I have a Soom Lupin that I LOVE - the sculpt of his body and face is far more detailed and characterful.

I was oolging Iplehouse Ashanti the other day and am hoping that I win the lottery. That'll be a bit hard considering I don't play the lottery.

Linear Ouroboros Yes, get a Monster High. It's cheap and practise at least. They can look pretty cool all customised and everything.

You may also want to look into the small Obitsu eyehole head - then you also have the option of changing out the wig and eyes:

http://www.junkyspot.com/obindex.html
Edit: poo poo I can't get the link to work. It's the third head down on the 21-23cm heads page.

Here's one of mine (it's the third head down):

Though those little Obitsu bodies stain like a muthafucka.

I will also add that finding nice 4" wigs and small eyes is a HUGE PAIN IN THE rear end. I did find a really handy eye-making tutorial that's suitable for making small eyes. I shall go and have a look for it and post it when I find it.

Edit: balls, the person that made it has taken their tutorials down. This one is very similar, but a lot more complicated:

http://www.dollmakersdream.com/make-realistic-doll-eyes-aimee1.html

I made mine with printed acetate rather than painting the irises, and now I can't remember how I did it. The secret to nice, glossy eyes is the liquid fimo + heat gun.

As far as I recall it was:
1. Make little rounds out of white fimo and bake*. Make sure they are a bit flat on the top.
2. When set, add a pre-printed acetate iris to the top. You can make anything you like in Paint Shop or Photoshop then pierce them out with a hole punch.
3. Drop on clear liquid fimo and hit it with the heat gun. Do this a couple of times.
4. YOU NOW HAVE EYES.

I used to make a whole bunch at a time in case some came out wonky.

*Actually I may have baked them using the heat gun, because they were all small. It would have been easier rather than trying to balance a little bit of plastic on top of hardened fimo.

Other edit: oops, posted wrong tutorial, that other one was a bit crappy. Fixed now.

VoodooSchmoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 23, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I was in love with Soom Glot until I held one in my hands during a doll meet. It was just so...awkward. I really can't use another word to describe it. And it was obvious that even moving the legs a tiiiiiny bit would cause huge scratches on the body blushing. :sigh:

That being said, I'm hoping the Soom booth at comic con will have a wind elf there. They look so pretty, but there's no way in hell they can actually stand on those legs.

Goldirocks
Mar 17, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

I was in love with Soom Glot until I held one in my hands during a doll meet. It was just so...awkward. I really can't use another word to describe it. And it was obvious that even moving the legs a tiiiiiny bit would cause huge scratches on the body blushing. :sigh:

That being said, I'm hoping the Soom booth at comic con will have a wind elf there. They look so pretty, but there's no way in hell they can actually stand on those legs.

I asked soom but they won't have any of the Wind Elves there :( I had a friend all set up to go get one for me but they won't be selling them. I'm a sucker for the little fox feet though and managed to get one otherwise. Now I'm all nervous about the quality. :ohdear: But I already have a stand on order for my Ace, I don't expect it to stand with those little paws.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wandering Knitter, I am cackling hysterically at your axolotl comment.

I was in Thai Silks (mmm, Thai Silks) to get some hatmaking supplies and I shopped the remnant bin for my grey Frankie. I'm contemplating tweaking her body proportions with the dress -- the '20s day dress I'm thinking of is a loose shift, so I could put the waistline and hemline anywhere I want to. This would lengthen her body a bit, but that would make her arms even more grotesquely short. Thinking...

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
My first doll won't be here for maybe two to three months, so I'm trying to figure out ways to prepare and/or distract myself. I'm trying to decide which of my clothing designs I should make for her first, but it's difficult to buy fabric or adapt patterns before I know what size she is. Still, I can design and that's always fun!

In other news, I might be going to a doll meet on the 20th. I have a few friends who overlap in both the local lolita fashion and BJD community there, so I thought it would be fun to see them again and check out some dolls. Really I just want to see how the clothes are constructed and put on, because the stock photos on the websites are sort of vague.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For the larger sized BJDs, they're literally human clothes but tiny. Working buttons, working zippers, working laces, the whole hog. You put them on your dolls like you would onto a tiny but well-proportioned corpse (only you can replace the hands on a doll for thin sleeves more easily).

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

Pick posted:

For the larger sized BJDs, they're literally human clothes but tiny. Working buttons, working zippers, working laces, the whole hog. You put them on your dolls like you would onto a tiny but well-proportioned corpse (only you can replace the hands on a doll for thin sleeves more easily).

Wow, neat! Buttons and laces might be easier for me than zippers. I honestly hate putting in zippers, but I also might not even get any large sized BJDs anytime soon. It's likely I'll be sticking with MSDs in the beginning. Would using velcro and snaps be considered lazy or cheap for MSD clothing?

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I don't know about velcro, but snaps work great for me. I like to sew them in, then hot glue a tiny button over top of it so it looks like it's really buttoned. :3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Wow, neat! Buttons and laces might be easier for me than zippers. I honestly hate putting in zippers, but I also might not even get any large sized BJDs anytime soon. It's likely I'll be sticking with MSDs in the beginning. Would using velcro and snaps be considered lazy or cheap for MSD clothing?

Velcro honestly doesn't scale well. It'll always look weird and bulky and low-quality. Snaps can be useful, though, and hooks. Elastic can also be used to great effect.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Ah, okay. I'll avoid the velcro, then. That idea with the snaps and button sounds really clever. I'll pick up some snaps and thin elastic next time I hit the craft store. And I hadn't even thought about hooks! I have a ton leftover from my last craft store raid, so that'll be fantastic.

Thanks you guys. :3: It'll still be a while before I get started, but it's fun to plan. I guess some test muslins couldn't hurt...

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

I absolutely suck at making clothes, but I know a lot of BJD clothes makers don't bother with a fly closure for pants (zip or otherwise), because it adds too much bulk. The pants are normally small enough that just one snap is enough to seal it.

There's also a technique for sewing on tiny sleeves, but you've probably already realised that it would be quite fiddly.

Last pair of pants I made came out awful. I put them on the doll and his rear end burst out of them. Oops.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I'm fairly certain that doll pants that fit asses perfectly simply do not exist. My girl's jeans fit perfectly when she's standing, but once she sits they're sagging. :argh:

Is anyone else here going to NYCC? There's a meetup thread for it on DOA.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
I'm a little convinced I may have to make all pants and shorts with elastic waistbands. I guess it'll be all bloomers and pumpkin shorts if I want to avoid momjeans. I'm not as disappointed as you'd think.

Linear Ouroboros
Mar 30, 2007
Sweet loving Ginger!
I'm not finding many places where people are using the dolls as a jumping off point for historical costuming and that surprises me. Am I just missing it?

I'm mostly fascinated because I come from a seamstressing background and we always created designs at 1/4 scale to test out patterns, so technically I've been making large doll clothes, like, forever without realising it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There's a cool historic costume thread on DoA. (Me, too; I'm interested mostly as mannequins.)

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
A lot of the SCA (medieval re-enactment) doll people I know are so much more SCA-focused that they don't really do doll stuff online. I'm sorry I don't have any resources to share, but the Pennsic doll meet is a big deal.

*Pennsic is the big (~13,000 people) SCA event every year in Pennsylvania.

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

I found this Flickr with some nice period/period style stuff:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ayuana/

They have quite a mix of different stuff.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
It has come to my attention that the only 5/6 wigs that exist are either 1) Liv Wigs 2) Handmade fur wigs and 3) BOB CUTS :argh:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Wandering Knitter posted:

It has come to my attention that the only 5/6 wigs that exist are either 1) Liv Wigs 2) Handmade fur wigs and 3) BOB CUTS :argh:

5/6 is the Pukifee/Lati Yellow/16-inch fashion doll size, so while they're not absolutely the most common thing out there, they definitely exist:
http://www.facetsbymarcia.com/wigshop56a.htm
http://www.facetsbymarcia.com/wigshop56b.htm

http://www.cancan-jseries.net/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=80157ff983122258313fcf1222fbd46f

http://www.parabox.jp/eng_new/wig-03.html

http://www.angelicdreamz.com/JAMIEshow-WIGS_c_1864.html

Basically, look for Pukifee, Lati Yellow, Sybarite, Gene, Tyler, Jamieshow, AvantGuard, etc. etc.

Of course, if what you're looking for is a short wig for a boy, ha ha, you're screwed. Unless you want him to have a spherical head. Then you're in luck. ... I'm not bitter.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

A couple of times over the past years I've found myself looking at some cheap options for getting a doll to paint and dress up just like the pretty pictures the internet kept showing me, but everything always seemed so expensive. Last night I found this thread and read it all, following links to blogs and tumblers, and discovering that 'Monster High' dolls can be easily modded.

So I went out today and bought two dolls. I blame you all. :argh:

One is a Monster High roller derby Operetta, and the other is a 'Liv' 'School's Out' Daniella. Operetta was $19.99, and Daniella was $12.99, so I am pretty pleased. I'm planning to use greenstuff to build up Operetta's face, so her 'scars' can be worked into that at some point. Unfortunately as I have begun to remove their paint with nail polish remover, I've come across some problems that maybe you can help me with.

Operetta's face has gone all smeary and dirty looking, and it refuses to come off even if I hold the remover on for a while and then scrub a bit.

I have only done a little bit on Daniella but I'm disappointed that her eye has become sort of foggy and dull. Her shiny eyes were part of why I got a second doll, and if I can't remove her paint without damaging the eyes then I'm not sure what to do. If it is permanent damage then at least I've only done one eye. She could have a scar or something there.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
1) Don't scrub the doll's face when working with acetone. Use a q-tip and gently "roll" it off. 2) Use 91%-100% isopropyl alcohol and water to remove the faces. It's less likely to stain, but do make sure to rinse the doll's face often when using it. 3) I think Liv eyes are actually removable? If you don't mind cutting off part of her scalp to make a "headcap" you could probably put new ones in.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
Liv eyes can be removed by dunking their heads in hot water and "popping" them out.
For face-up removal on vinyl, pure acetone works best then washing the face with water to remove any left over chemicals.
Check flickr.com for all sort of tutorials about Liv and Monster high modding. It's amazing what people can do with a simple playline doll as an artists canvas!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Guardian has a fun article on Blythe doll collecting. No faceups, of course, but costuming.

Edit: Where do you get pure acetone and high-purity isopropyl alcohol? The hardware store or the art store?

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Guardian has a fun article on Blythe doll collecting. No faceups, of course, but costuming.

Edit: Where do you get pure acetone and high-purity isopropyl alcohol? The hardware store or the art store?

You can get pure acetone at a drugstore or a beauty supply, or even at some grocery stores, depending on where you live. 91% isopropyl is also fairly easily found in drug stores, grocery stores, and so on. How high a purity do you need?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, I just need the 91% referred to two messages up. I want to mess with my Monster High doll.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
If you live in the North East I know Stop and Shop carries it by the bandages. You don't need a whole lot so a $2 bottle will last you aaaaaaages.

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I personally would not use acetone on a doll; I cleaned up a Luts Lishe with acetone and it left white bloom all over her resin that I had to gently sand to remove. It wasn't MSC residue, it was definitely damage to the resin.

I normally use Windsor & Newton Brush cleaner and restorer (which you still have to be careful with on any form of plastic) or Isopropyl - even if you can't get it near you, you can get it on ebay.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.
90% isopropyl can be had at Walmart if you live in the States. They keep it in the pharmacy/first aid area and a huge bottle of it is super cheap.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Current project!

IMAG0482 by A Humfleet, on Flickr

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I love what you've done with the forehead! What character type are you going for? I started thinking zombie, but I suspect that's the Halloween influence.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I love what you've done with the forehead! What character type are you going for? I started thinking zombie, but I suspect that's the Halloween influence.

He's the Gargoyle boy from the Create-a-Monster kit.

On a sadder note, does anyone wanna buy my Dollshe Bernard? I'm in dire need of cash. :(

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
I'm thinking about getting into this. I'd like to get an Abbey Bominable, and turn her into FFIX Shiva. I'm planning on doing a faceup and rerooting her hair first. Oh god, I'm scared. :(

Edit: I just saw in a faceup tutorial that you can use glass cleaner as a thinner for acrylic paint. Is this really a thing? Sounds weird.

uberwekkness fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 13, 2012

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

uberwekkness posted:

I'm thinking about getting into this. I'd like to get an Abbey Bominable, and turn her into FFIX Shiva. I'm planning on doing a faceup and rerooting her hair first. Oh god, I'm scared. :(

Edit: I just saw in a faceup tutorial that you can use glass cleaner as a thinner for acrylic paint. Is this really a thing? Sounds weird.

You probably can, but that's really drat ghetto. Acrylic thinner is super cheap!

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
That's what I was thinking, but nice to get a second opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
And my other current project! The hair was rooted by the owner of the gargoyle boy, who happens to be another goonette!

IMAG0489 by A Humfleet, on Flickr

• Locked thread