Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.
I edited the Research Directive.

We should likely also mobilize a diplomatic team to decrease tensions with the Eurasian Federation, and to look into the feasibility of eventually forming some lopsided trade agreements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Ynkling posted:

Research Directives

5 labs for Dr. Barrelfox: Fire Control Speed Rating 2000 km/s

If anybody has any suggestions on how to make better use of our R&D assets, do not hesitate to speak up.

This is fine, I just wanted to let you know that the UN starts with a Fire Control Speed Rating tech researched (1250 km/s). The tech it's missing is Beam Fire Control Distance Rating.

Puistokemisti posted:

TO: UNEC

Also, since I suppose information is a resource and nobody else seems to be doing it, can I get listing of our espionage capable agents? I think it's time why try to find out what the Feds are up to.

Ynkling posted:

I edited the Research Directive.

We should likely also mobilize a diplomatic team to decrease tensions with the Eurasian Federation, and to look into the feasibility of eventually forming some lopsided trade agreements.

You just don't have enough qualified personnel yet, though with two military academies, you should be able to field a diplomatic team relatively soon.

To: Head UN DoT
Re: Updated Ship Designs

Sir, find attached an update of our York-class freighter and our Galicia-class passenger ship.

code:
Galicia class Passenger Cruiser    9,400 tons     303 Crew     347.5 BP      TCS 188  TH 188  EM 0
1000 km/s     Armour 1-39     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 23    Max Repair 16 MSP
Passengers 500    

General Electric C62500E10 Nuclear Thermal Engine (3)    Power 62.5    Fuel Use 10%    Signature 62.5    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 95.7 billion km   (1108 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
code:
York II class Freighter    9,350 tons     103 Crew     142.5 BP      TCS 187  TH 188  EM 0
1005 km/s     Armour 1-39     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 10    Max Repair 16 MSP
Cargo 5000    

General Electric C62500E10 Nuclear Thermal Engine (3)    Power 62.5    Fuel Use 10%    Signature 62.5    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 96.2 billion km   (1108 days at full power)

The ISS yard can be retooled to produce the York II design by mid-August and each one would take just under six months to construct. Additionally, refitting our current York-class freighter to the York II design would be relatively simple and cheap once a slipway became free.

Please alter as you see fit. The ISS can currently handle ships of up to 10,000 tonnes void displacement.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 17, 2012

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

Updated Research Directives

October is too long a time to be waiting for the logistical technologies related to Cargo Handling, so as soon as assigned labs are freed up, assign them to Dr. Eumenides.

When his research finishes, assign our R&D resources as follows:

5 labs for Dr. Slaan: 10cm Meson Focal Size

15 labs for Dr. Eumenides: Engineer Brigade

5 labs for Dr. Barrelfox: Beam Fire Control Distance Rating

RE: Updated Ship Designs

Keep in mind that Cryogenics and Cargo Handling will be developed in early August and a month or so after, respectively. I'm not too familiar with ship design but there may be benefits hold off until then so that they can be incorporated. Or there might not be. :confused:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

It seems I am such an excellent spy that I concealed my talents even from myself!
I volunteer for a role in our initial penetration efforts against the Federation, once sufficient personnel to provide me with decoys backup have been assembled.
I've been practicing my commie talk especially for the occasion.

Commie Talk 101 posted:

Das vidanya, mein kamerad! Have you completed your quota of proleteriat beatings!?
I have been taking the riches of the unjustly wealthy and giving them to mentally handicapped cripples! Also, open source software!

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
I think Ynkling is right about waiting for those two new technologies before we design new colony & cargo ships. It won't be long anyhow.

Ynkling posted:

Updated Research Directives

October is too long a time to be waiting for the logistical technologies related to Cargo Handling, so as soon as assigned labs are freed up, assign them to Dr. Eumenides.

When his research finishes, assign our R&D resources as follows:

5 labs for Dr. Slaan: 10cm Meson Focal Size

15 labs for Dr. Eumenides: Engineer Brigade

5 labs for Dr. Barrelfox: Beam Fire Control Distance Rating

CO of the 57th LTA "Think Tanks"
TO: Head of R&D, Spacebook Contacts

Don't forget that those engineers need to be flown to Mars in troop transport bays which you'll also need to research at some point. If you research the transport bays first and the engineering brigades immediately after that then we can design and build the transport ship while waiting for the 5000rp engineering brigade to finish. Engineering brigades are fat so they need 5 bays. Those are kind of big too so you'll need to have bigger shipyards if you do this. I think troop bays are commercial too so the ISS shipyards are the thing that would need to be expanded before a transport could be built. I recommend starting expansion now. Otherwise this looks like a sharp plan.

If you do it this way then we can shave months off the time it takes us to get boots on Mars.

But we can't have the reds recklessly plundering an ancient alien ruin before we do. Those guys are smug enough as it is and who knows what kind of alien death ray might be on Mars. It should be our death ray.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
To: UNEC
Re: Jupiter Launch Window

Sirs, the window to launch our remaining four Gold Rush drones to the Jovian system is approaching. The optimal launch date will be in 21 days, on July 4th. We wanted to discuss a targeting strategy.

Jupiter itself would take three probes to fully scan. The Galilean satellites could each be fully scanned with one probe each, except Ganymede, which would require two. That means eight total probes for the entire survey. We currently have four in the stockpiles, and could complete another four by July 13th (sooner as more ordnance factories come online), which is still within the launch window.

We wanted to get your input and potentially your authorization of a purchase order of four new Gold Rush drones.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

RE: Research Orders Update. Again.

Dr. Eumenides plan is to be updated as per the CO of the 57th LTA "Think Tanks"' suggestion, shifting the Engineer Brigade project behind a Troop Transport Bay project to be completed with the same resources. No other changes.

RE: Jupiter Launch Window

We should by all means purchase the extra drones. We should favor surveying the moons over Jupiter itself; I can't even imagine the hassle involved in mining on a gas giant.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
This designing good warships is hard when I don't know what the Russian's are building.

code:
Tribal class Gunboat    2,400 tons     201 Crew     211.24 BP      TCS 48  TH 75  EM 0
1562 km/s     Armour 1-15     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 7
Maint Life 4.12 Years     MSP 55    AFR 46%    IFR 0.6%    1YR 5    5YR 78    Max Repair 20 MSP
Magazine 140    

Nuclear Thermal Engine E10 (3)    Power 25    Fuel Use 100%    Signature 25    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 37.5 billion km   (277 days at full power)

Size 2 Missile Launcher (2)    Missile Size 2    Rate of Fire 60
Size 3 Missile Launcher (1)    Missile Size 3    Rate of Fire 90
Missile Fire Control FC4-R20 (2)     Range 4.7m km    Resolution 20

1000 Ton Sensor (1)     GPS 400     Range 4.5m km    Resolution 20

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
Basically it's a first start. I expect it to be trumped pretty early on and the majority of the planatary defence to fall down to our PDCs while we build up technology.

The missile 3 size is a anti-ship missile and the size 2 is an anti-missile missile that will be replaced as soon as we get better nuke technology.

Please make suggestions on how to improve it :D

I have a small shopping list at the moment that I need.

1. The two magazine technologies
2. Labs to build the components

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
... Would it be possible to make missiles that fire smaller attack missiles and even SMALLER anti-missiles?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

PokeWarVeteran posted:

... Would it be possible to make missiles that fire smaller attack missiles and even SMALLER anti-missiles?

Yeah, but would be something I would like more technology and a bigger ship type first. I suppose it's something we can look into with our PDC first though :)

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

bgreman posted:

Give me one more diplomat, and i'll give you a pile of communist skulls some sort of peace treaty or other boring paper thing that involves no skulls whatsoever.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lord Windy posted:

Yeah, but would be something I would like more technology and a bigger ship type first. I suppose it's something we can look into with our PDC first though :)

I'll be happy to run that PDC :)

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

As per Lord Windy's military shopping list, here's an even newer...

...Research Directive!

Same as the old one, only this time Dr. Slaan is researching Magazine Feed System Efficiency - 75% and Dr. Magicboots is researching Magazine Ejection System - 70%, the 10 labs divided between them so that they finish about the same time.

Is this what you wanted, Lord Windy?

This is getting a little hectic. Next time I'll ask for input first and push out a directive afterwards.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Thank you for showing me this game. This LP is cool, ive enjoyed it so far.
Its a shame the russians are going to beat you to mars.
Can you land a small brigade of troops on the alien ruins while their xeno team is present? This will get you a claim to the ruins that means war to challenge, and can be put into action quickly, on a smaller transport.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Ynkling posted:

As per Lord Windy's military shopping list, here's an even newer...

...Research Directive!

Same as the old one, only this time Dr. Slaan is researching Magazine Feed System Efficiency - 75% and Dr. Magicboots is researching Magazine Ejection System - 70%, the 10 labs divided between them so that they finish about the same time.

Is this what you wanted, Lord Windy?

This is getting a little hectic. Next time I'll ask for input first and push out a directive afterwards.

Yeah, that works well.

Laser PD can wait until after we have 'yet to be named' ship class in the sky.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Lord Windy posted:

This designing good warships is hard when I don't know what the Russian's are building.

code:
Tribal class Gunboat    2,400 tons     201 Crew     211.24 BP      TCS 48  TH 75  EM 0
1562 km/s     Armour 1-15     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 7
Maint Life 4.12 Years     MSP 55    AFR 46%    IFR 0.6%    1YR 5    5YR 78    Max Repair 20 MSP
Magazine 140    

Nuclear Thermal Engine E10 (3)    Power 25    Fuel Use 100%    Signature 25    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 37.5 billion km   (277 days at full power)

Size 2 Missile Launcher (2)    Missile Size 2    Rate of Fire 60
Size 3 Missile Launcher (1)    Missile Size 3    Rate of Fire 90
Missile Fire Control FC4-R20 (2)     Range 4.7m km    Resolution 20

1000 Ton Sensor (1)     GPS 400     Range 4.5m km    Resolution 20

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
Basically it's a first start. I expect it to be trumped pretty early on and the majority of the planatary defence to fall down to our PDCs while we build up technology.

The missile 3 size is a anti-ship missile and the size 2 is an anti-missile missile that will be replaced as soon as we get better nuke technology.

Please make suggestions on how to improve it :D

I have a small shopping list at the moment that I need.

1. The two magazine technologies
2. Labs to build the components

I like to standardize early on missile sizes so all my stuff is backwards compatible. I see no reason to go with a size 2 AMM when a size 1 lets you throw more missiles at the enemy. Early game, expect hit chances of less than 10% for AMMs, which means that you need a lot of missiles to reliably kill incoming enemy missiles. 60 seconds between launches also don't sound like a chance for success.

My suggestion would be to slim it down a little, increase its anti ship firepower at the expense of survivability and to build a shitload of them. When the Russians bombed Pearl Harbour, we filled the sky with B-17s, lets do it again before they can!

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Raw_Beef posted:

Thank you for showing me this game. This LP is cool, ive enjoyed it so far.
Its a shame the russians are going to beat you to mars.
Can you land a small brigade of troops on the alien ruins while their xeno team is present? This will get you a claim to the ruins that means war to challenge, and can be put into action quickly, on a smaller transport.

Unfortunately we need to design and build a troop transport bay before we can get any soldiers on Mars. Before we can do that we have to research the bays themselves not to mention the new troops (or expanding the shipyard for that matter) since our current low tech forces aren't suitable at all. The only soldiers that count for Mars right now are engineers since they are the ones that loot ruins for us. They have to be brigade sized. And I can almost guarantee the reds have no engineers or troop bays. Who can exploit the ruins comes down to who can get engineers on Mars first and that could still be us. But it's still a ways off.

And while the Federation may have landed their xenology team on Mars first it will only get there a couple months earlier than ours. Plus there is a chance their team is less skilled than ours and would take longer to finish. Remember their unfortunate accident in which 5 of their officers were killed didn't do their officer pool any favors.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
TO: UNEC, UN science team, UN armed forces
SUBJECT: Aliens

I have spent some time considering the presence of alien ruins on Mars, and I have a question.
Since we are very obviously not alone in this universe (or this solar system, for that matter), shouldn't we consider how to act in case we actually come into contact with these aliens?
I would be fine with anything (either try to make peaceful contact or shoot them out of the sky on sight), as long as we have some guidelines to follow, to avoid a single starship commander from accidentally starting an interstellar war.
What do you think?

(Also, an OOC metagame question: if the Federation makes first contact with some aliens and that first contact is less than optimal, would it drag us into the war too? In other words, would the aliens see the Federation and us as a single entity -- after all, we are the same species and share the same homeworld -- or as two different entities?)

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I've uploaded the list of available and completed research. It will be updated regularly.

Still to come today: an update (containing informational content as well as time-advancement), and a list similar to the research one that details our component, missile, and ship designs,

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

The List looks great and I cannot thank you enough for it! Scrolling through the pages at the moment is simply a small hassle, but this hassle would build up to an unmanageable slog as more and more techs were completed, spreading the needed information farther and farther across the thread.

I've been fiddling around with the game on my own and this LP has been like a rope dangling down the wall that is the learning curve. I've had some luck in giving orders to a survey ship, but this hasn't translated well in setting up a freighter to ferry things between worlds and it's infinitely upsetting.:arghfist: Also gently caress asteroid mining modules because you can't give them orders to mine asteroids, as far as I can tell.

Please do an "Orders" update sometime in the future. :)

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Ynkling posted:

The List looks great and I cannot thank you enough for it! Scrolling through the pages at the moment is simply a small hassle, but this hassle would build up to an unmanageable slog as more and more techs were completed, spreading the needed information farther and farther across the thread.

I've been fiddling around with the game on my own and this LP has been like a rope dangling down the wall that is the learning curve. I've had some luck in giving orders to a survey ship, but this hasn't translated well in setting up a freighter to ferry things between worlds and it's infinitely upsetting.:arghfist: Also gently caress asteroid mining modules because you can't give them orders to mine asteroids, as far as I can tell.

Please do an "Orders" update sometime in the future. :)

I've been putting off the Orders update for a while because that dialog is pretty complicated. I'll try to get to it soon (probably after Ground Units / Ground Combat).

As for your asteroid miners, you don't order them to mine asteroids. They do it by default if they're at the same location as an asteroid. You need to create a colony at the asteroid, then move the miner ship to it. The colony will then produce minerals as if it had a normal mine on the ground. The minerals go into the colony's mineral stockpile. It's all kind of contrary to the way asteroid mining works in basically every other space game, but if you think of an asteroid miner in Aurora as a regular mine with engines on it that can move around to different colonies, it makes more sense.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

An easier way is to just have them drop a geology team there, then extended orbit the place. Dropping a Geo-team automatically makes a colony anyhow, so they just chill there digging up all the minerals. Still sucks they can't do it automatically. From what I can tell they work on full sized planets too, so once you're out of minerals to mine, just send em to a mining colony and the mass drivers can send everything on. Still kinda backwards to how it usually works (where the mining ships take the minerals on board)

Though it does make me tempted to give my Asteroid miners enough cargo space for a mass driver and just have them drop that on whatever rock they're mining so I don't have to send a freighter >.> Also for comedy comet mining. In the outer solar system and shooting minerals back at Earth like a boss :D

I was unable to get my tanker/refining ship to work though. It'd just hoover up a little fuel till it was full, then never drop it off :( It'd still work as a fuel ship for a fleet, but it didn't want to let me stockpile fuel at my outer system colony like I wanted to :(

As for the orders update, you could do it piece by piece. So one post on the automation part of orders, and another on the 'normal' orders.

As for setting up automated transport runs, there is a repeat option in the orders window. Just remember that if you repeat an order 100 times then repeat it 100 times again you'll need to close the ship window then never look at it until it's done. The game can store the orders, but has trouble showing you. Also add in a refuel order or your freighter may run out of gas >.>

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

I've got several freighters and colony ships running and making Mars and Venus runs, but now I have an even bigger problem. To set up these runs I've needed to make upwards of ten different task groups (most doing the same thing) simply because none of them feel like accepting new ships from my TG Shipyard. They furthermore refuse to be reassigned to any other TG for some reason.

Aurora. :argh:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ynkling posted:

I've got several freighters and colony ships running and making Mars and Venus runs, but now I have an even bigger problem. To set up these runs I've needed to make upwards of ten different task groups (most doing the same thing) simply because none of them feel like accepting new ships from my TG Shipyard. They furthermore refuse to be reassigned to any other TG for some reason.

Aurora. :argh:

Huh? I've never had any trouble adding new ships to a task group.

The easiest way to do it is wait for the task group to arrive at earth and then use the special orders/organization tab, select the shipyard group, and move the ships back and forth.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

You can only transfer ships between Task Groups when they are in the same location. There is also the order "Join Fleet" if you check the "Fleets" checkbox on the orders pane and select a task group from the targets pane.

The "Fleet" / "Task Group" terminology is extremely inconsistent in the game, and part of the orders update will be explaining it and setting the record straight.

Also be careful with the Shipyard TG. If you move it away from your shipyards, and it is still set as the Default Fleet for the shipyard, new ships will disappear when it finishes construction. I know this bug has been reported to Steve, I just don't remember if it has been fixed.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Double post oh well.

UN, 18th June, 2026

CAPT Veazey's fleet handling capabilities improve. From here on out, I don't plan to list stat increases for NPCs. I'll continue to list them for goon characters.

UN, 30th June, 2026

The reactors on the Prospector probes orbiting Mars finally run down and the probes go silent, their jobs long since completed. This will happen to each probe as its mission completes.

UN, 4th July, 2026

The final set of Gold Rush rockets with their Prospector probe payloads is launched from Missile Complex Valkyrie, en route to the Jupiter and its moons.

Eight hours later, the Federation also launches a set of eight probes toward the Jovian system.

UN, 5th July, 2026

Approximately 30 hours after launch, the Gold Rush drones release their payloads throughout the Jupiter system.

UN, 11th July, 2026

The UN military force tour of duty ends, and reassignments are made. Missile Complex Valkyrie launches the last Gold Rush probe toward Callisto.

Reassignments have shuffled people around again. Check your leader images. If you've got an unnamed battalion or missile complex, you can rename it.

UN, 13th July, 2026

The final Prospector probe is deployed at Callisto. While participating in a mock missile defense exercise, CMDR The_White_Crane's superiors are impressed with his ability to present information to his subordinates.

UN, 18th July, 2026

A new officer takes command of Missile Complex Hammerfest.

Romeo Wharff. This game.

UN, 23rd July, 2026

The Prospector probes around Venus finish their survey and the report is prepared for UNEC.

UN, 26th July, 2026

The Prospector probe surveying Mercury completes its task without discovering any significant mineral deposits. A dedicated geological team might find something worthwhile, but UNSA geologists advise focusing on other bodies.

UN, 3rd August, 2026

Dr. Barrelfox's research into gravitational detection systems comes to completion. While he is initially assigned to begin investigating fire control sensors for energy and kinetic weapons, he is pulled off that project to dedicate the labs for Dr. Eumenides's cargo handling system research.

Research Unlocked
  • Active Grav Sensor Strength 12 Cost: 2000 RP, €2 billion. Description: Active sensor strength per hull space of the component. Provides the strength of the output pulse for active sensors, which are used to detect alien ships based on their size. The active pulse can be detected by EM sensors. Uridium refining techniques allow for higher quality detector arrays to be fabricated, improving sensitivity.

Component Design: Active Sensors / Missile Fire Controls

Active Sensors are the analog to radar (or active sonar) in Aurora. The fiction states that the sensor sends out a gravitational pulse, which interacts in a handwavium fashion with a ship made from TNEs, and causes the ship to emit some kind of electromagnetic signal that locates it and determines its mass. The sensor array then picks up this EM signal. Therefore an active sensor in Aurora needs the Active Sensor Strength tech and the EM Sensor Sensitivity tech.

Sensor Size, like other components, sets the size of the component in hull spaces (HS).

Hardening determines how likely the component is to be destroyed by an anti-electronic weapon (i.e., High Powered Microwaves). The options available for it depend on the Electronic Hardening tech line. We currently don't have anything researched in that area, so our only option is Hardening Level 0.

Active Sensor Type determines whether this is a search sensor (used to detect and track ships) or a missile fire control (used to direct missile fire). MFCs don't detect ships, and search sensors can't be used to direct missiles. Therefore, at least one ship needs to have a search sensor to detect the enemy ship, and each launching ship needs its own MFC(s) to direct the fire of its missiles. MFCs have three times the range of an search sensor with the same design parameters.

Minimum Resolution is an important aspect of active sensor design. Basically, active sensors must be designed to optimally detect ships of a minimum size. They can detect ships smaller than this, but at a reduced range. Ships larger than the minimum are detected at the same range as the minimum.

The range of your sensor is calculated as follows:

For ships equal to or larger than the resolution value, the max range at which they will be detected is: Active Sensor Strength x sensor size x sqrt(Resolution in HS) x (EM Sensor Sensitivity / 10) x 10,000 km. So if we built a size one sensor, with EM sensor sensitivity 5, active grav sensor strength 10, and targeting resolution 5000 tonnes (100 HS), then it could see a 5000 tonne (or larger) ship out to a range of 10 x 1 x sqrt(100) x (5 / 10) x 10,000 km = 5,000,000 km. A missile fire control with the same parameters would be able to direct fire for missiles out to 15,000,000 km.

For ships smaller than the target resolution, the range is calculated as above, and then multiplied by (target size (in HS) / resolution (in HS))^2. That means an object half the size of your targeting resolution will only be able to be detected when four times closer than an object of the targeting resolution.

This generally means missile ships either specialize for their roles, or ships mount multiple sensors and/or fire controls. This is especially important for missile detection, since missiles are all, for the most part, under 1 HS.

In particular, when a Resolution 1 sensor is selected, the Proposed System Parameters box changes. The smaller object maximum detection ranges change to describing the maximum range at which various missiles are detected, using the above formula and remember that 1 MSP = 1/20th HS. (The display is technically incorrect for the size 6 (or smaller) missile. In order to make active sensor resolutions be forced to be integers (necessary for other reasons, I suppose), he needed to set a minimum size for objects in the detection algorithm. This is set at 0.33 HS, even though a 6 MSP missile is actually 0.3 HS. Therefore the game is actually displaying the range for a size 6.6 missile (and smaller). Incidentally, since there is a minimum size, size 1 (and 2-5) missiles are just as easy to detect as size 6 missiles.)

Sensor Design Practice
I'm going to spoil this, in case any of you want to play the game clean for RP purposes or whatever. Its very useful info to have when designing active sensors though, and I want to include it for the "informational" portion of this LP.

General practice is to design active search sensors of resolution 1 (for missile detection, also useful for fighter detection if upsized), 20 (for detecting gunboat sized objects (1000 tonnes)), and whatever the typical ship size of your enemy is.

Corresponding missile fire controls for each size are needed, but typically you design your fire controls with your missiles in mind, and perhaps a view to the future. There's no need, for example, for your MFC to be able to paint ships 3x further away than your missiles can strike, but 2x might be wise in order to anticipate development of better missiles without necessarily needing to develop and deploy new sensor systems.

Industry

No instruction necessary here.

Mining

Nor here.

Shipyards

Here are your current shipyards and their capacities. Additionally, a screenshot of how long it would take to convert the ISS to begin building York IIs as currently designed (i.e., without the cargo handling systems).

Research

The blurb in the event log about starting beam fire control stuff was because I had it set in the queue and because the increment was slightly over the construction cycle trigger, the Active Sensor tech finished and a couple RPs were sunk into the beam fire control tech. The above is how the research is configured now. As I understand the current orders, once Slaan's Cryo Transport finishes, those five labs will be assigned to Eumenides. Once the Cargo Handling system is done, Eumenides will begin Troop Transport Bay (as you can see in the queue), but be dropped down to 15 labs. The other ten will be split between MagicBoots and Slaan's missile magazine research. Is this right?

Tomorrow I will update again, taking into account any changes to standing orders you guys might have. Btw, "Tranquility" won the moon colony name vote, so I've set that in-game. I'll very much try to get the Ground Units / Combat update done tomorrow, so I can dive into the "Orders" update sometime this weekend. With plenty of updates if you guys keep it rolling like this!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

probes probes probes!

Also is there any way to get around some of the windows (including the officer window D: ) from going off the screen in sub 1600x1200 resolutions. Cause I wanna play on the couch, but my light monitor is only 1440x900 so I can't assign officers at all :( or even turn on automatic :((

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

The research queue as you described it is just the way I wanted it. Please be sure to tell me the new dates of completion as they enter into active research. I'll definitely try to be less obtuse with the next set. I also didn't know you could queue up research orders in the game!

TO: UN Industrial Command, UNEC
Industry Conversion

I ran the numbers on the conversion of conventional industry to Fuel Refineries, and I feel like we could make better use of our industrial assets. Here is my reasoning:

(20,000 litres of fuel / year / refinery)

If we complete the 250 Fuel Refineries as planned, they will produce 5'000'000 litres of fuel a year. This is enough to fill 100 Yorks, and they can travel quite a large distance on a full tank.

If we cut the number of refineries down to 25 we would decrease our fuel capacity to 10 Yorks worth a year, which isn't very limiting given the size of our fleets at the moment, and would more importantly free up 225 IC to be put to better use.

My suggestion to the UN Industrial Command is to put these outdated assets to work by converting them into mines, and to keep a close eye on our fuel stores in the future.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

probes probes probes!

Also is there any way to get around some of the windows (including the officer window D: ) from going off the screen in sub 1600x1200 resolutions. Cause I wanna play on the couch, but my light monitor is only 1440x900 so I can't assign officers at all :( or even turn on automatic :((

Main window, the toolbar-like one, has a "Reduced Height Windows" toggle in one of the menus. It doesn't help much, and generally still requires you to auto-hide your taskbar and be careful while navigating, but I've been playing like that just fine on my 1366x768 laptop.

Alternatively, if you're running Windows 7, Win key + P to set projector mode to extend, make the second monitor be on top of your current one, and move the game window upwards through the roof of your monitor. You won't see the title of the window, but it'll let you reach lower buttons.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
To: UNEC

First off thanks for making me Logistics Officer in Fleet HQ, finally a place where my abilities comes to good use! We'll soon have a proper cargo handling system and I look forward to coordinating our great expansion into space, which we've come to call "one small step for man" here in the office. Once you guys get the ships build, we'll be ready to start shipping.

Also am I the only one noticing the giant amount of minerals on Venus? compaired to curret stocks it's huge! even though some of it is hard to get, maybe we should start thinking about getting some automated miners there?
Unless of course Mars turns out to be of better use.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

bgreman posted:

UN, 23rd July, 2026

The Prospector probes around Venus finish their survey and the report is prepared for UNEC.

While the amounts of minerals on Venus are obscenely large, they are also mostly minerals we currently don't suffer shortage from and are also hard to access.
Duranium, Neutronium and Gallicite are readily available in terran and lunar soil in quantities that are sufficient for our current needs. Corbomite and Tritanium are tempting targets however as they are far more rare in our present sources but there's not pressing need for either of them yet.

At present state, we should focus our efforts to Luna and Mars, Venus requires large investment of mining infrastructure before it's resources can be exploited in reasonable amounts but it does provide a solution to some of our longterm resource needs and as such, depending on what our probes discover when they reach Jupiter, we should move on to securing our presence on Venus after Mars. Considering how hostile Venus is for human life, perhaps it would be worth the effort to invest some research into orbital habitats when the time comes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Please assign the code name "Jerk City" to my current command.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
TO: ILB Windhammer (All Personnel)

I would like to extend my gratitude to all of you for helping to make me look good in the recent exercises.
This is clearly a shining example of your own dedication and talents and my excellent command abilities.
Anyone suggesting that it was the result of rampant cheating will be transferred to Vander's Valkyries, with immediate effect.

And a special thanks to the Windhammer Espionage Society for your diligent research.
Confodere tergo et furantur gloria boys!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

To: UNF Maning office
Re: Missile Complex 022 application for name change

Please find enclosed the paperwork to rename my current station to "Missile Simplex".

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

CO of the 66th LTA
TO: Spacebook Contacts

I can't believe I just lost command of the 57th! They'll be drunk and/or dead inside the week without me, just you wait! Now I gotta think up a name for these guys. How about the Battlefield Zamboni Division. That's all these guys are good for anyway.

Moving on to less important matters...
In about 2 weeks we're going to have both cryogenics and cargo handling so we should probably think about designing some new commercial ships that use these technologies. I think I posted this design earlier to make an unrelated point but I've become rather attached to it so here it is again:

code:
CT-30 class Colony Ship    10,000 tons     138 Crew     462.5 BP      TCS 200  TH 62  EM 0
310 km/s     Armour 1-41     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 29    Max Repair 16 MSP
Colonists 30000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 30    

Nuclear Thermal Engine E1 (1)    Power 62.5    Fuel Use 10%    Signature 62.5    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 90.0 billion km   (3360 days at full power)

It only takes 5 hours for it to load 30,000 frozen guys and it's fast enough to travel to the moon in no time flat and Mars in several days. It can also be constructed at the ISS if that's what everybody feels like doing. If requested I can make it bigger.

I'll leave a new freighter design to someone who doesn't have a division of useless know-nothings to herd around. But I'll make some suggestions about it first. I feel that we really need two new freighter designs. One that's 10,000 tons or less and can be built by us at the ISS (which really needs to be expanded soon by the way) and one that's way huger than that for our shipping lines to build. We need our own cargo ship that's under our control to set up infrastructure on new colonies and stuff like that. If you go this way then use the obsolete checkbox on the smaller ship when we're not building one to keep our dumb civilians from buying them.

And finally we have active sensors. Soon we'll be able to see what the commies are up to! We really need a sensor tower ASAP. Until then they could be doing anything over there.

SPERMCUBE.ORG fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 19, 2012

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

From - Colonel Frosted Flake
To - Any/All

I request that 71st Low Tech Armour be titled The Queen's Royal Hussars

:britain:

What kind of military capability do we have? Would we be able to fight a war against the Federation without resorting to WMDs?

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

From - Colonel Frosted Flake
To - Any/All

I request that 71st Low Tech Armour be titled The Queen's Royal Hussars

:britain:

What kind of military capability do we have? Would we be able to fight a war against the Federation without resorting to WMDs?

CO of the 66th LTA "Battlefield Zamboni Division"
TO: Colonel Frosted Flake

I went back through the thread and I think we have a total 85 low tech divisions (bgreman called them battalions but I'm pretty sure low tech forces come in division size) and 60 of them are infantry, 25 are armor. Our low tech divisions are not extremely effective. If we were to launch a surprise ground assault on the Federation with our full forces they would probably meet a similar commie army. At this point I don't think either side could win a war.

One thing I'm confused about though: Is it possible to give different orders to different combat units? I tried it out but it seems like you can only order a general massed attack with your entire army. That seems kind of weird.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

... it seems like you can only order a general massed attack with your entire army. That seems kind of weird.

I guess we should rename the high command to STAVKA.

:ussr:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

I went back through the thread and I think we have a total 85 low tech divisions (bgreman called them battalions but I'm pretty sure low tech forces come in division size) and 60 of them are infantry, 25 are armor. Our low tech divisions are not extremely effective. If we were to launch a surprise ground assault on the Federation with our full forces they would probably meet a similar commie army. At this point I don't think either side could win a war.

One thing I'm confused about though: Is it possible to give different orders to different combat units? I tried it out but it seems like you can only order a general massed attack with your entire army. That seems kind of weird.

Actually, I suspect one side or the other would eventually pull ahead, at which point the losing side would launch their ICBMs and render the Earth a radioactive wasteland for both sides.

So a full scale war is probably a bad idea. To successfully conquer the Earth, I think two things would be required:

1) A TNE missile defense system capable of shooting down the vast majority of enemy ICBMs
2) TNE ground forces in sufficient quantity to defeat the enemy troops.

Unfortunately, developing both in parallel would be incredibly expensive and slow. Finding a new Earth might well be cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

This is almost correct. If I stated 85 I was wrong. There are 25 low tech armor divisions (you're right that they're divisions, not battalions), and 50 low tech infantry divisions, for a total of 75.

• Locked thread