Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zyrden
Mar 25, 2012

Climbing gear.
Oh. Well slap a new name on it, and use it for something else then I guess.

e: update on previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
TO: Lord Windy

I was not aware that my request for a field deployment would result in the Council granting me a promotion to this deskjob. By my calculations, however, this makes me the highest ranked Ground Forces officer currently in service to the UN. In response to that new facet of my job description, I would like to suggest that we examine our strategic supplies of TNEs, especially Neutronium, and seek to secure with armed presences our mining colonies on Luna, as well as the future Xeno-research station on Mars. Callisto and the rest of the Jovian system should also have a small presence once we can safely supply our forces that far out.

Remember that we are in service to our people, not the other way around. Their protection should be our priority.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.
By November we will have the two magazine techs and the TNE missile engine completed. We should decide what our early missile ships should look like and what armaments they should carry, as well as design some useful PDCs. I'm partial of the active and passive sensor buoys, and hope we can work both of them into our plan, somehow.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

berryjon posted:

I was not aware that my request for a field deployment would result in the Council granting me a promotion to this deskjob. By my calculations, however, this makes me the highest ranked Ground Forces officer currently in service to the UN. In response to that new facet of my job description, I would like to suggest that we examine our strategic supplies of TNEs, especially Neutronium, and seek to secure with armed presences our mining colonies on Luna, as well as the future Xeno-research station on Mars. Callisto and the rest of the Jovian system should also have a small presence once we can safely supply our forces that far out.

Remember that we are in service to our people, not the other way around. Their protection should be our priority.

FROM: The Desk of Lord Windy, Director of Defence and Procurement
TO: Brig. General berryjon

Congratulations on the promotion! You have my full support in any troop manoeuvres and relocation you have in mind. When the new troop ships come into action, you can expect to have them used at your discretion. At least as far as I'm able. As for your current goal of securing TNE, feel free to position soldiers as you feel fit to take advantage of the situation.

Please make sure you vocalise any requests you have in regards to troop training and deployment. I'll be happy to arrange any construction that I can for you.

TO: UNEC
CC: Brig. General berryjon
re: Command Structure

Greetings again, I have a new proposal to make.

I think we should look at the command structure and make something easy and accessible for the time being. Something nice and easy for the time being and can be changed to suit our needs. Basically a chain of command would look like

CnC -> Sector Command -> Planetary Command -> Task Group Command -> Field Command

Most should be be fairly straight forward. I do think I need a better name for Task Group Command, but basically it would be the most senior officer in a task group.

And here is what it would look like at the moment:

Commander in Chief - Lord Windy, Director of Defence and Procurement

Basically I envisage a more strategic role. Decides where to put resources and overall campaign goals (Like kill the russians!). But can do the role of others if they are absent or wants to

Sector Command - Sol
Naval Staff headed by: NPC
Ground Command Staff headed by: Brig. General berryjon

Commands the resources of a sector and how they should be deployed and what should happen. Basically Navy tells the task groups where to go and the army tells the soldiers where to invade

Planetary Command - Earth
Administrator: Farecoal
Planetary Defence: Next most senior army officer so - berryjon

Commands the defence assets of a planet in a defensive role. So things like PDC use, local gunships and fighters and the industrial might of the planet to provide more resources for war

Task Group Command - Shipyard TG
Most Senior Naval Officer: eg. Admiral Mike Dexter

Commands the particulars of the fleet. So Ship 1 kill enemy 1 type thing.

Field Command - Ship
The officer : eg. Admiral Mike Dexter

Commands his particular ship/army unit

Let me know what you all think :)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Lord Windy posted:

TO: Brig. General berryjon

Congratulations on the promotion! You have my full support in any troop manoeuvres and relocation you have in mind. When the new troop ships come into action, you can expect to have them used at your discretion. At least as far as I'm able. As for your current goal of securing TNE, feel free to position soldiers as you feel fit to take advantage of the situation.

Please make sure you vocalise any requests you have in regards to troop training and deployment. I'll be happy to arrange any construction that I can for you.

Given the nature of your suggestion to the Council on the command structure of the Ground Forces, I will be reinforcing my deployment concerns. I suggest that Tranquility be given a single full-strength brigade as soon as it is feasible, tasked not only with the protection of our interests on Luna, but also as a training rotation for those who will learn low-gravity and TNE combat.

Next, we must secure the Martian ruins. While I dislike the idea of leaving our civilians in the Jove system undefended, the strategic necessity of Mars at this point means that they must be bumped down to third on my list.

The Mars deployment will be tasked with securing the Xeno sites as they are examined, as well as protecting our population onworld.

The Jovian deployment will be a 'stepping stone' deployment into the outer solar system, as well as a general defensive posting against aggresstion from our fellow humans.

Also, please request of bgreman a study on the possibility of TNE-based piracy and corporate espionage. I want the army and navy ready to respond to any threats, not just from the Federation.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
Poor dumb civilians. They just don't handle space very well.

CO of the 66th LTA "Battlefield Zamboni Division"
TO: Resource Acquisition
CC: The guy what has to deal with our idiot civilians

Normally I wouldn't care too much about resource shortages but I was watching a TV show on History 9 called "Tomorrow Guns" about really cool weapons that shoot neutronium bullets and stuff. That's the kind of thing I signed up for, I thought. After that there was a show about the Belnar Imperium and how they likely interfered in our past and probably are responsible for all the worst things that ever happened. Anyway the jist of it is that Adolph Hitler could have been an alien and he might still be out there. Now I don't know about that but I CAN'T RULE IT OUT.

The point is neutronium. We need it. The Federation needs it. And if Hitler (or somebody like him) is out there in space then we need to shoot him with it. And we can't trust the commies to do it for us. After all, they tried to be friends with him and they'd do it again. And even if it turns out that Hitler was just a regular guy and he isn't out in space then the Belnar Imperium was still on Mars and they could be out there somewhere. So we still need to secure new sources of elements off-world. We need to do it before we're short on just neutronium and we need to do it before the Federation does it.

There is a significant amount of highly accessible neutronium on Callisto that's already being mined by a private mining enterprise. Right now we're just kinda letting these guys do whatever they feel like (tritanium toilet seats) with what I would call a rapidly dwindling strategic resource. Now I'm not suggesting that we seize their minerals 'cause I'm not an unwashed commie but we should think about buying their production. We could let all the stuff sit around in a big pile on Callisto until we get around to building a mass driver here on earth. After we have a mass driver we can launch that crap through space and and catch it on earth which is pretty cool.

Oh and make sure to inform the reds before we start shooting chunks of metal at Earth. If they see that with no explanation then they may think Hitler is coming back and panic. A commie is a cowardly creature after all.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sadly it looks like our subsidy should've included TNE vessel pilot training. That was a lot of ships they made though!

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The most useful PDCs are those that boast meson weaponry. Not only could they engage enemy ICBMs, but they can also target ships in orbit and other PDCs, with armor being absolutely useless.

If we consider enhancing our military capabilities on Earth, we should look into the feasibility of basic meson weaponry.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Morrow posted:

The most useful PDCs are those that boast meson weaponry. Not only could they engage enemy ICBMs, but they can also target ships in orbit and other PDCs, with armor being absolutely useless.

If we consider enhancing our military capabilities on Earth, we should look into the feasibility of basic meson weaponry.

I think you've been quoting my entire campaign speech

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I assume PDC mounted meson weapons don't suffer the whole "can't shoot through the atmosphere" problem that ship based systems suffer?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I don't think meson cannons have that issue in general

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Look at that training bonus :smug:

(that's the first thing that's actually happened to me so far, other than routine assignment transfers)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Veloxyll posted:

I assume PDC mounted meson weapons don't suffer the whole "can't shoot through the atmosphere" problem that ship based systems suffer?

Meson cannons can shoot through anything, including shields, armor, planetary atmosphere, and planets themselves.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
With the caveat that they have very short range and deal a single point of damage. Researching the basics of meson weaponry would take slightly less than six months, if we devote all of our research capacity to it. However, they'd be able to absolutely wreck the Red ICBM capability, and the research done here could eventually be applied to more versatile beam weapons.

Other options are to focus on development of anti-missiles. While not able to target the Red ICBM silos, they can almost certainly engage them in flight and be much more effective when deployed on warships in the outer system.

The most likely point of conflict with the Eurasian Federation is going to be Mars, and we may want to tailor our military capabilities with that in mind.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
TO: SPERMCUBE.ORG

We are not exactly needing Neutronium currently and there's plentiful supplies of it on all the planets we are currently eyeballing for colonization/mining. I'm not convinced we have need for the Callisto's minerals and due to that, the annual cost of 1.125 billion is too high.

If arguments can be made that we should rapidly increase our stocks of neutronium, I'm still willing to reconsider my stance.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Morrow posted:

With the caveat that they have very short range and deal a single point of damage. Researching the basics of meson weaponry would take slightly less than six months, if we devote all of our research capacity to it. However, they'd be able to absolutely wreck the Red ICBM capability, and the research done here could eventually be applied to more versatile beam weapons.

Other options are to focus on development of anti-missiles. While not able to target the Red ICBM silos, they can almost certainly engage them in flight and be much more effective when deployed on warships in the outer system.

The most likely point of conflict with the Eurasian Federation is going to be Mars, and we may want to tailor our military capabilities with that in mind.

And of course, anti-missile-missiles use the same tech as anti-communist-missiles

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
To: Everybody

Yes! my* brilliant plan worked, by giving the McKiernan Transport Corporation subsidies, we finally got ourselfs a fully functional logistics backbone.
That is once the CEOs stop taking pleasure cruises all over the solar system, I must admit that the trip to the moon in the Galicia was nice, but they've had those things for 2 months now! It has to stop and I'll make sure to give them a stern talking to.

Now all we need is more production getting ready to help us expand into the solar system. Just let me know if you want something moved, we can haul anything**

(*In the case my means SPERMCUBE.ORGs idea, thanks my friend)
(**Except for troops, but we are working on that)

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

berryjon posted:

Also, please request of bgreman a study on the possibility of TNE-based piracy and corporate espionage. I want the army and navy ready to respond to any threats, not just from the Federation.

To: Brig. Gen. berryjon
Re: Piracy and Corporate Espionage

The thought of a criminal organization engaging in piracy is currently far-fetched at best, for a number of reasons.

The costs involved in maintaining Trans-Newtonian spaceflight operations are staggering. Even McKiernan Transport Corporation required heavy subsidies from the UN to become operational.

All current shipping traffic is either state-controlled or operated by MTC, and are carrying goods without much value. Theoretically, there could be a black market for colony infrastructure, but as the UN is providing those materials at no cost to the colonies, it is unlikely to be a profitable market. Tranquility's population is too small to have a developed trade base, so there's unlikely to be any profit to be made in smuggling goods there either, at least on the scale suggested.

Our passive deep space tracking system can detect ANY Trans-Newtonian engine signature, even one that is idling, out to a distance of 250,000 km (75% of the way to the moon). A pirate group would have to smuggle its ships and weapons out piecemeal, giving ample opportunity for detection.

Conversely, we don't possess any sensors capable of detecting most ships much further than 2.5 million km, and that is assuming the most powerful drive signature we've yet observed (the Reka-class). If we don't possess the sensors, it stands to reason a hypothetical cartel would not either. However, with shipping lanes rather restricted right now (Earth-Tranquility and perhaps Earth-Mars), setting up ambushes may be a viable tactic.

The cartel would have to maintain a base of operations (to store its loot and to maintain its ships). Practical locations for such a base are hard to come by in solar space. The asteroid belt provides many such locations, but none are suitable for long-term habitation without orbital habitat modules, which we can't build and --presumably-- neither could any cartel.

To sum up, it is unlikely that it would be profitable at the current time for any organization to engage in deep space piracy. When civilian shipping traffic is more plentiful, such an opportunity may arise.

As for corporate espionage, the only company operating in the sector is McKiernan Transport, who we pay handsomely for their infrastructure deliveries to Tranquility. We also provide the shipbuilding licenses for our designs, so it is unlikely they would have much to gain by attempting to spirit away our technology.

In short, all the civ companies do is transport and trade. Piracy as an AI function is not in the game, though Steve has indicated on a number of occasions that he may add it in the future.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

Research Directive Update May 2027

Inform Dr. Slaan when he finishes that he's finally allowed to look into 10cm Meson Focal Size weaponry with the resources he has. Assign him Dr. Eumenides' labs when they become available.

Remember to feed the other scientists.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Ynkling posted:

Research Directive Update May 2027

Inform Dr. Slaan when he finishes that he's finally allowed to look into 10cm Meson Focal Size weaponry with the resources he has. Assign him Dr. Eumenides' labs when they become available.

Remember to feed the other scientists.

:dance:

I can't wait till that is finished, than we can get started on proper laser gunboats!

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Magazine Design

Magazines are ship components used to store missile reloads. A ship doesn't technically require magazine space (our ICBM complexes don't have them), since a ship is considered to have enough magazine space to hold a single salvo of missiles for its launcher armament. These missiles are considered to be kept in the launcher itself. In order to be able to launch more than once without returning to base or getting a reload from a collier, a ship needs magazine space.

Note that this means that PDCs on a homeworld generally don't need magazine storage, since missile transfer between ships and populations (and between ships themselves actually) is instantaneous. PDCs at forward bases either need magazines or need the population they are based at to have a stockpile of missiles.

Missiles cannot be transported between populations via freighters. The only two options are loading missiles into a ship's launchers and then unloading the missiles at the destination, or building a ship with magazines to transport the missiles.

All the magazine space from all the magazine components on a ship are lumped into one value for determining how much ordnance a ship can hold (magazine storage values are in Missile Size Points (MSP)). So if you have a magazine component with capacity 100 and a magazine component with capacity 50, you can put both on a ship and the ship will have 150 MSP worth of ordnance storage.

Magazine Feed System Efficiency determines the amount of space in the magazine that is actually devoted to missile storage. We only currently have the 75% tech, which means 75% of the magazine's space is devoted to missile storage. A 1 HS magazine would therefore have 0.75 HS of missile storage. Since 1 HS = 20 MSP, a 1 HS magazine could hold 0.75 * 20 = 15 MSP of missiles. That can be 15 size 1 missiles or two size 7.5 missiles. Magazines are generic and not keyed to individual missile designs. You can shove any combination of ordnance into a magazine, as long as the total quantity is below the capacity of the magazine.

Magazine Ejection System determines the risk of a magazine exploding if it suffers a hit during combat. The 70% tech we have means there is a 70% chance the magazine will be ejected if it suffers enough damage to destroy it, and no internal magazine explosion will take place. That means a 30% that there
will be an internal explosion when the magazine is destroyed.

Armour lists the armor to be used for any internal armor for the magazine. While it lists all the available armor techs for the empire, I believe only the best armor is actually used (so changing this selection does nothing).

Magazine Size is the physical size of the magazine, in HS. The larger the magazine, the more missiles it can hold, obviously.

HTK determines how difficult it is to destroy the magazine. An HTK 1 magazine will be destroyed on any hit. The chance to destroy a magazine is (Hit damage / HTK). This is independent of the explosion chance. This internal armor also deducts from the amount of space devoted to ordnance storage.

The amount of armor required for a magazine is calculated as follows:
  • The magazine is assumed to be a sphere with volume equal to its displacement in HS.
  • The surface area of the magazine is calculated, then divided by ten.
  • This reduced surface area is multiplied by (HTK - 1). This gives the required armor strength.
  • To determine the actual amount of armor required, the required strength is divided by the strength per HS of the selected armor type. Round to nearest tenth to get armor required in HS.

Example: Assume a 10 HS magazine using our current 75% feed system and 70% ejection chance. With the base HTK of 1, this magazine would be 10 HS and have 75% of that (7.5 HS, or 150 MSP) devoted to missile storage.

If we decided to increase the HTK of the magazine to 3, using Duranium armor (5 armor strength / HS), we find that:

• "Volume" of the magazine is 10 HS.
  • "Surface area" is 4*pi*(0.75 * Volume / Pi)^(2/3) = 22.4466. Divide by 10 to get 2.2447.
  • Multiply by (Desired HTK - 1). 2 * (2.2447) = 4.4894 armor strength required.
  • Divide by Duranium armor's strength / HS. 4.4894 strength required / (5 strength / HS) = 0.8979 HS of armor required. This is rounded to 0.9 HS.

So our 10 HS magazine now has HTK 3, which reduces the amount of internal space usable for missile storage by 0.9 HS. Therefore, we have (9.1 * 75%) = 6.825 HS (136 MSP). This is a 9.4% decrease in capacity due to the internal armoring.

EDIT: There was wrong information here about magazine explosion chances being independent of HTK.

Magazine Explosions

These are bad. If a ship suffers one, it is unlikely to survive. While the nuclear warheads on the missiles are specifically designed not to sympathetically detonate, each missile has a large quantity of sorium fuel inside it, as well as the conventional explosives used in nuclear warhead design. When magazines are hit, empty magazines are always hit first for simplicity. After that, if a magazine is hit and explodes, every missile in it detonates as well for the above reasons. The damage applied to the ship is 20% of the total of all the warhead damage ratings in that magazine.

Magazine Designs

To: Lord Windy
Re: Magazine Design

Sir, find attached the latest from Lockheed Martin on the magazine design you specified. They were able to use Duranium armor in its construction instead of the conventional armor it looks like your design used.

code:
Lockheed Martin Series 1 Ordnance Storage System
Capacity: 198     Internal Armour: 1.76 HS     Explosion Chance: 30
Magazine Size: 15 HS    Magazine HTK: 4
Cost: €83.8 million   Crew: 23
Materials Required: 27.55x Duranium  0x Neutronium  56.25x Tritanium

Development Cost for Project: 838RP, €838 million
Active Sensor Designs

UN Electronics Designation System (UNESDS)

All electronics in the UN naval inventory are given a designation using the UNESDS system. This consists of a designation in the following format:

UN/(Environment)(Detector Type)(Detector Purpose)-(Series Number).

Environments
  • F - Spacecraft under 1000 tonnes displacement
  • P - PDC
  • S - Spacecraft over 1000 tonnes displacement

Detector Types
  • E - Electromagnetic (Non-Thermal)
  • T - Infrared (Thermal)
  • G - Gravitational
  • V - Visible Light (optical or low-powered laser, for beam targeting)

Detector Purposes
  • M - Missile Fire Control
  • B - Beam Fire Control
  • N - Navigation Aid (short range, detection only)
  • S - Detecting, Range and Bearing, Search (medium range point tracking)
  • Y - Surveillance (target detecting and tracking) (long range area-search)

Sir, find attached the latest from BMB on the PDC active sensors you specified.

code:
BMB UN/PGS-1 Active Search Sensor (D22-R1000)
Active Sensor Strength: 100   Sensitivity Modifier: 50%
Sensor Size: 10 HS    Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 20    Maximum Range vs 1000 ton object (or larger): 22,360,000 km
Range vs 1000 ton object: 22,360,000 km
Range vs 250 ton object: 1,397,500 km
Chance of destruction by electronic damage: 100%
Cost: €100 million    Crew: 50
Materials Required: 25x Duranium  75x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 1000RP, €1 billion
code:
BMB UN/PGM-2 Fire Control (D29-R750)
Active Sensor Strength: 50   Sensitivity Modifier: 50%
Sensor Size: 5 HS    Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 15    Maximum Range vs 750 ton object (or larger): 29,040,000 km
Range vs 1000 ton object: 29,040,000 km
Range vs 250 ton object: 3,226,667 km
Chance of destruction by electronic damage: 100%
Cost: €50 million    Crew: 25
Materials Required: 12.5x Duranium  37.5x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 500RP, €500 million
Missile Launcher Designs

Sir, General Dynamics sent over the plans for the missile launcher contract.

code:
General Dynamics GML-5 Mk. 1 Launch Tube (R75)
Maximum Missile Size: 5     Rate of Fire: 75 seconds
Launcher Size: 5 HS    Launcher HTK: 2
Cost Per Launcher: €20 million    Crew Per Launcher: 50
PDC Only
Materials Required: 5x Duranium  15x Tritanium

Development Cost for Project: 200RP, €200 million
code:
General Dynamics GML-1 Mk. 1 Launch Tube (R15)
Maximum Missile Size: 1     Rate of Fire: 15 seconds
Launcher Size: 1 HS    Launcher HTK: 0
Cost Per Launcher: €4 million    Crew Per Launcher: 10
PDC Only
Materials Required: 1x Duranium  3x Tritanium

Development Cost for Project: 40RP, €40 million
All these designs are available for research now. Another exciting note is that Steve helped me solve the issue with the flighty civilian ships. It turns out that the low diplomatic rating the UN has towards the Federation makes the civilians frightened of the Federation missile bases, so they attempt to flee. I've used SM to adjust the DR to 0 for both, so we can set them to neutral and not have terrified civilian shipping. The DR doesn't really make sense in this game anyway, as all diplomatic interchanges will be in-thread.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 13, 2012

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
FROM: The Yacht of Lord Windy, Director of Defence and Procurement
TO: UNEC, UN R&D
re: Design work

Fantastic going boys! Now I just need these researched, and the new missile engines and range to be designed and we can get this party started.

Now, if for any reason the choice if company seems off, it isn't because I don't know the names to many defence contractors and had to frantically search Wikipedia for the names of some companies and used them irrespective of what they actually build. It's because they wanted to break into the industry and found me hideously corrupt.

Ah excellent, the good people from Kraft are here to discuss their new range of TNE Missiles and peanut butter with me...

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 1, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I'll also note that while those active sensors are designated as PDC-based, in-game, sensors have no restrictions on being ship or PDC-based. If you want to put a sensor on a ship, but the sensor's designation indicates it is for PDCs, just let me know and I will create a ship-based version of it and grant it instantly (in the real world, there really aren't (for the most part) such universal systems, but I'm not going to be that anal about it).

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

TO: Lord Windy, Director of DaP
RE: Design work.

Gimme the order you want them researched and how they compare to Mesons and we'll get this poo poo researched right.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

Are space stations in Aurora simply space ships without engines, or is there more finesse to it? I had a dream of a set of orbital 'Death Moonlets' which would be akin to anti-missile PDCs, but impervious to land assaults. Is this doable/smart?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Better question. I know that there's a station hab module for ships that allows you to have ten thousand people living each module. Can you use them to actually do stuff? Are there ship modules that demand such a crew?

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Ynkling posted:

Are space stations in Aurora simply space ships without engines, or is there more finesse to it? I had a dream of a set of orbital 'Death Moonlets' which would be akin to anti-missile PDCs, but impervious to land assaults. Is this doable/smart?

Yeah that's basically how you do a station. There are a few advantages point defense space stations have over a ground-based version but basically it boils down to they can use beam weapons. You can't fire beams (except mesons) through an atmosphere and most point defense installations are going to be protecting something within an atmosphere. Putting all that stuff in space lets you bypass the atmosphere restrictions. There are disadvantages too. They have to be built at shipyards, they have weaker armor. That kind of stuff.

Anticheese posted:

Better question. I know that there's a station hab module for ships that allows you to have ten thousand people living each module. Can you use them to actually do stuff? Are there ship modules that demand such a crew?

Fifty thousand colonists can live in each orbital habitat module. They're not for supplying a ship's life support though so no ship module needs that many people. You build these at a colony (with the colony's industry I think?) and then position them over an inhospitable planet and the people can live in space and work the installations on the ground without the need for infrastructure. A good use for these is to make gigantic orbital terraformers, I think.

I think that's how those two things work. I haven't actually done either of them in game so maybe I'm wrong.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

A good use for these is to make gigantic orbital terraformers, I think.

I think that's how those two things work. I haven't actually done either of them in game so maybe I'm wrong.

For terraforming, it's probably easier to just build terraforming ships (using the terraforming module) instead of using orbital habs to man ground-based terraforming installations.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

bgreman posted:

For terraforming, it's probably easier to just build terraforming ships (using the terraforming module) instead of using orbital habs to man ground-based terraforming installations.

I was talking about putting the terraforming modules on the habitat itself. Like 100 of them. Then just dragging it from world to world making earths. The more I think about this the more I like it. I think I'm going to build one of these in the game I got going on.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

I was talking about putting the terraforming modules on the habitat itself. Like 100 of them. Then just dragging it from world to world making earths. The more I think about this the more I like it. I think I'm going to build one of these in the game I got going on.

Ah, in that case, terraforming modules don't require any supporting population. (Neither do maintenance modules).

Of course, if you threw in some orbital habs, you could plop down enough maintenance modules to support a forward fleet and enough mines to keep those maintenance bases stocked. Have the pops in the orbital habs run those installations, and boom: A portable forward operations base that also happens to terraform while it's supporting.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

The ship based terraformers don't require populace, just crew. I'm trying to think of a situation where orbital habitats would be useful, but I'm not really coming up with anything. Nothing that can't be done just as well by a fleet vessel. Even deep space operations can be done by regular starships. I guess if you REALLY needed construction capabilities in a system and there were no viable colonisable worlds, but I can't figure why you wouldn't just be able to ship in whatever you need regardless.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Ynkling posted:

Ah, the 'Artemis Necklace' approach.

That begs the question: can we strap engines to asteroids and send them hurtling towards enemy planets at near-c velocities?
Or for that matter, is there any kind of system in place to support suicide ramboats?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

The ship based terraformers don't require populace, just crew. I'm trying to think of a situation where orbital habitats would be useful, but I'm not really coming up with anything. Nothing that can't be done just as well by a fleet vessel. Even deep space operations can be done by regular starships. I guess if you REALLY needed construction capabilities in a system and there were no viable colonisable worlds, but I can't figure why you wouldn't just be able to ship in whatever you need regardless.

I think you can use them when you need to build facilities for asteroids or worlds where it's just plain cheaper to build them rather than infrastructure.

Or when you want something more mobile, like with large asteroid mining.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I guess. But I'd still be just as inclined to use Engineering batallions, since then I don't have to ship whatever facility in. Or just slap down a Mass Driver/automated mines. Maybe for building on somewhere that'll take forever to terraform, like Venus if you need an operations base up quickly. But again, why not just use a maintenence or refinery or mining or terraforming cruiser instead? I guess if you wanted a small human populace to GMC over to something that can live on a hostile planet, that'd make sense. Ship in infrastructure for a few million people, then use Orbitals to man the GMCs.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

bgreman posted:

Ah, in that case, terraforming modules don't require any supporting population.

Veloxyll posted:

The ship based terraformers don't require populace, just crew.

Jeez, I'm not being very clear, am I? I know all of that. What I was talking about, because terraforming modules are already so huge and I don't have shipyards in my game that have the capacity to build a really huge ship like that, was using the Orbital Habitat module to allow me to build an enormous terraformer without needing the shipyard to construct it. If I understand things right, anything with a habitat on it can be built from a world's construction factories and my spacemen may not have the biggest shipyards in the world but they sure have a lot of industry.

Anyway I think I'm going to stop talking about this because I'd rather not derail this thread into an exploration of why I all of a sudden have such a hard time communicating with human beings.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 3rd June 2027

The MTC's Galicia passenger cruiser delivers the first 500 homesteaders to the Mars colony.

To: UNEC
Re: Federation Contacts

Sirs, McKiernan's Government Liaison forwarded us sensor data from their passenger cruiser's recent colonist delivery to Mars. They observed that contact Krivak 003 is still in orbit around Mars. We assume that it is acting as a local sensor picket to observe our activities in Mars orbit.

This will be a constant thing in months to come, so I won't comment on it unless something interesting or important happens.

UN, 9th June 2027

Another new ground forces officer joins the UN's rapidly growing officer corps. Elsewhere, CAPT Musgrove becomes a more effective naval crewman teacher.

UN, 15th June 2027

As the media focuses attention on the new colonial spirit embodied by the Tranquility and Mars colonies, McKiernan sees fit to launch another Ascendancy-class colony ship.

UN, 23rd June 2027

Administrator Farecoal announces a new governmental program that will increase industrial output by approximately 9%. Elsewhere CMDRs Wharff and Stokes participate in a fleet engagement exercise.

The construction rate has gone up by nearly 10% because of Farecoal's new rating. Rate = ((457 factories * 10) + 4351 conventional industry) * 1.2 (from governor bonus) = 10704. This also means all project completion dates moved forward by 8.3%.

UN, 1st July 2027

CMDR Sad King Billy leads a group of academy cadets in a simulated training exercise and receives a commendation.

UN, 3rd July 2027

The UN geological survey team which has been ranging over the surface of the moon for some time makes a finding in the lunar highlands: a 100,000 tonne boronide deposit. With an accessibility of 0.5, lunar boronide is more readily accessible than boronide deposits on Earth.

The lessons learned by the survey team will be put to good use as they continue to canvas the moon for minerals.

UN, 7th July 2027

With immigration outpacing infrastructure on the lunar colony, some new colonists are forced to hot bunk with already-established colonists, ruffling some feathers. McKiernan is apprised of the situation and agrees to cut back on colonist deliveries until more infrastructure can be put in place.

To: Councilor jimmy4400nav, Head, UN Department of Industry
Re: Infrastructure

Sirs, the private sector on Earth currently produces far more infrastructure than the state-controlled production order, at nearly 5200 units per year. This easily meets the needs of both the lunar and Martian colonies. We suggest repurposing the industrial capacity currently tasked with producing more infrastructure for more pressing tasks. The private sector can handle getting the colonies situated. We can create delivery contracts for the infrastructure we've already produced to get rid of it, then let the the private sector take over entirely.

The 100-infrastructure supply contract on Earth and its corresponding demand contract at Tranquility have run out. The McKiernan traders should start carrying civilian-produced infrastructure now. We still have 246 units on Earth and another 800+ in the production order.

UN, 8th July 2027

The UNMS Leeds is commissioned into the UN's Merchant Marine. With the ISS freed up, CMDR Zyrden has been ordered to complete his infrastructure run to Tranquility and return UNMS York to the ISS drydock to begin refit operations to the York II-class.

To: UN Department of Transportation, UNEC
Re: Suitable commanders for UNMS Leeds

Sirs, please find attached a list of naval personnel with a background in logistics, who we recommend for the command of UNMS Leeds.

• CAPT Galenus is a member of the UNSA Archaeological Team on Mars. The team has completed its work and is sitting idle.
  • CMDR Jaramr is the Intelligence Staff Officer at Fleet HQ on Earth.
  • CMDR Anna Blake is the Logistics Staff Officer at Fleet HQ on Earth.
  • CAPT Uitz commands Missile Complex 023 on Earth.
  • CMDR Zyrden is CO of UNMS York, en route to Tranquility to offload infrastructure. UNMS York is expected back at Earth within five days.
  • CMDR Kennith Darrah is a member of the UN Embassy to the Federation. He is one of only a few people in the UN leadership corps with extensive diplomatic training, and his services are essential to the Embassy.
  • CAPT Randall Veazey is the Operations Staff Officer at Fleet HQ on Earth.
  • CAPT Commoners is in command of Missile Complex 024 on Earth.

Elsewhere, CAPT Sad King Billy receives yet another commendation for his performance in a fleet maneuvers exercise, and CMDR Carson Schuchman becomes one of the UNIN's foremost geology experts.

Industry

I need to know whether or not to take the recommendation of the UNIEAB. If so, what should the idle production capacity be tasked for?

Mining

Shipyards

The ISS will be assigned to refit UNMS York to the York II-class. It will continue expanding capacity until it reaches 17,350 tonnes capacity (ETA: Mid-September), then will begin retooling for the Lictor class.

Research

Slaan will begin researching 10cm Meson Focal Size when the nuclear thermal missile drive completes. When Eumenides finishes the engineering brigade research, all his labs will be given to Slaan's project.

Thread Updates

Thanks to feedback from Steve (who is actively reading this thread!), I've edited the Magazine Design post to be more accurate. I'll be doing the same for the ground combat thread later today, since he provided me with detailed information that I was missing when I made the post.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 2, 2012

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

To: UNEC

Tritanium Crunch

54.54% of Earth's total supply of 0.4 accessibility Tritanium has been slated for use in construction projects, and we can't prevent the Eurasians from siphoning the more accessible deposits. We need more tritanium, and I only know of one place to get it with accessible quantities.

Venus.

I urge the Head of Resource Acquisition to take all necessary steps to secure our supply. We should start by sending a sanctioned geology team on our new York II and follow up by diverting industrial assets towards automated mines and mass drivers.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
From U.N Industrial Command
C.C Infrastructure Redistribution

With the growing productivity of our private sector economy, Industrial command now feels that it's appropriate to ships our production from Infrastructure to something else.

Therefore Industrial Command is ordering the following:

60% of the industrial capacity being used to build infrastructure be shifted to building rail guns

The remaining 40% of the industrial capacity being used to make infrastructure is to go towards automated mines, I figure that they can become manned if the situation calls for it, but in the meantime we need more minerals and soon,

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

bgreman posted:

Administrator Farecoal announces a new governmental program that will increase industrial output by approximately 9%.

Every industrial worker who works overtime will now receive stickers! Lots and lots of stickers, courtesy of a contribution made by McKiernan Stickers Subsidiary!

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

• Locked thread