Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Not so much concerned about Aliens crossing to Sol - but about Cornucopia and the Federation crossing to the other side to stake out claims, spy posts, and god knows what else they're up to. If they need Jump Tenders for as long as possible it limits their options significantly. If UN Warships won't be ready in 200something days, why hurt the Geo Teams to achieve a stable rift.

The big question is: Do you think you need to get a back and forth connection as soon as possible? Will the colony ships be ready in less than 2 years?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Not so much concerned about Aliens crossing to Sol - but about Cornucopia and the Federation crossing to the other side to stake out claims, spy posts, and god knows what else they're up to. If they need Jump Tenders for as long as possible it limits their options significantly. If UN Warships won't be ready in 200something days, why hurt the Geo Teams to achieve a stable rift.

The big question is: Do you think you need to get a back and forth connection as soon as possible? Will the colony ships be ready in less than 2 years?

Corny and FEAN invading K2 is not a real concern. FEAN got there first then offered it to us, they dont want it. Its doubtful they will want it in the future.
Corny is an ally, tentative, and their spyship got pwnd by the FEAN navy.

The plan projects the building of the return gate to be started after the warships enter to attack the K2 squatters.
Colony ships are already kicking about.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Ion colony ships will be ready for manufacture pretty quickly after ions are done, and truthfully I have been pretty impressed with the pace our civs are setting with Callisto. We always need more freighter capacity, but from my perspective we no longer have the crippling shortage we had a few years ago.

With regard to the stabilized JP, the usage of the JP is ours entirely by the terms of the JP treaty. If the Federation or Corny want to use it, they'll have to ask our permission or force their way through. And for the sanity of everyone involved let's not go down the 'fred can blow us up at any time so everything is meaningless' route, it's fallacious and we've gone down that path a billion times already.

With regard to the warships, like was mentioned we will need to have a plan for pulling our ships back. The current plan is to stabilize Sol-side, transit to K2, stop stabilization K2 side like a week prior to completionor time it really carefully I'm not sure anymore, then go about exterminating the xenos. If we fail, we don't stabilize K2-side and come up with a better plan. If we succeed, we finish stabilization and bring the boys home.

It's hard to say how important the extra few months Dmitri would give us will be since we have little concept on how big the missile prototyping and renewal jobs will be. But that said, it's worth noting that Dmitri in charge of an Asimov is a guaranteed benefit. Geo team duty is basically weighting dice in our favor. Loading the dice is useful, but it still means nothing if the dice keep coming up bad anyway. Our dice have been pretty bad recently.

Again, this all is just statement of fact from me, I do not have an opinion on this matter.

EDIT: I think I might be misquoting Saros's plan above, so wait for him to give the entire idea before judging anything.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 3, 2013

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
A possible solution to this is to simply change our order of construction.

The first gate, built by Dmitri, would go on Roanoke - this is a guaranteed benefit to us as it would allow us to exploit the ruins, colonize the extrasolar planet if UNCAO wishes, and the more rapid deployment would allow the gate to come online quicker since our civilian fleet will have ion engines by then.

Our second gatebuilder could then either start the K2 gate or perhaps be leased to the Federation under an intentionally bad commander. We could make keeping direct control of the vessel a condition of the deal to prevent any tech stealing, and get some sort of compensation + know whats past JP2 and control the speed that the Federation can colonize. We would build a third gatebuilder to start the K2 gate in this case - we will have plenty of need for gates as we expand so a third ship wouldn't be any sort of unnecessary burden and we could swap Dmitri back to the third gatebuilder to speed up the K2 build if our fleet is ready early.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'm fine with that idea, but I will add that I have no interest whatsoever in colonizing Roanoke at this time. Maybe if a geo team comes up with a few hundred thousand tons of valuable minerals at A1 I'll change my tune, though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah, it doesn't have anything worth serious exploitation and as it turns out isn't even looking useful as a waystation. So no colonisation efforts planned.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
A quick note on jump gate construction mechanics:

Jump gate construction is weird. Progress on gate construction is not tracked in any DB table dedicated to the task. Instead, when you queue the jump gate construction order for the construction task group, the total construction time is calculated (base_build_time_in_days * (1 - factory_prod_bonus)) and this is set as the "time remaining" for the order. Once the order completes, the gate is placed on the jump point.

Replacing the commander mid-build will have no impact on remaining build time, since the build time was calculated when the initial order was given. Cancelling and recreating the build order will start gate construction over. It cannot be paused or restarted from the previous progress level.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

bgreman posted:

Replacing the commander mid-build will have no impact on remaining build time, since the build time was calculated when the initial order was given.

And I suppose you won't let us abuse this?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Theantero posted:

There doesnt seem to be a way how to.

We start a gate, we finish a gate. This is a construction project that just wont wait.

Call it: Energy flux normalisation, like a chemical reaction there is a required energy to flip states, the Cebellos device acts as a sort of catalyst to lower that requirement but still needs energy, without it, the wormhole slides back down the energy curve to its initial lowest energy state.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
We could abuse it by putting our best commander on each build then reassigning him immediately - and that is far too gamey - we won't be doing that.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Kommando posted:

There doesnt seem to be a way how to.

I'm not mechanically aware, but do commander skills have any effect on build times? Because if it makes the calculation when we have a really good officer aboard, we could just send them to another construction ship, get the bonus there, and so on...

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm not mechanically aware, but do commander skills have any effect on build times?

bgreman posted:

After some experimentation, it looks like the time is actually 360 days * (1 - bonus). So Capt. Dmitri would have the gate completed in 252 days, CMDR Centurium or CMDR Readingaccount would complete it in 288 days, CMDR King of Time could have it done in 306, and the rest would take 324 days.

--------------

Theantero posted:

Sky Shadowing posted:

Because if it makes the calculation when we have a really good officer aboard, we could just send them to another construction ship, get the bonus there, and so on...

Don't abuse things that seem gamey and everything will be fine.

Gnooble posted:

We could abuse it by putting our best commander on each build then reassigning him immediately - and that is far too gamey - we won't be doing that.

Thanks.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 4, 2013

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Gnooble posted:

"Dont ask me, Dmitri designed the thing, im just the project manager."

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Finally caught up!

bgreman: Enlist me in the navy as something bureaucraty (logistics/operations)

Some suggestions:

To UNIN: Our ships typically use about 300 crew each. Our naval academies currently spit out 5000 redshirts a year (and we have 20000 twiddling their thumbs the last time bgreman showed it I think). We can easily afford more intensive training for fewer, better recruits. If we switch to training level 5, our new ships will be starting with a 12% crew grade, which is better than most of our Samars/Surigaos.

This would give new ships:
- 12% fewer maintenance failures
- 12% faster missile reloads
- 12% better to hit chances for beam ships/PDCs

If we do switch it, half of the currently trained pool will wuss out and quit, but we weren't using them anyway and 12% faster missile reloads for the Capetowns and Gibraltars is worth it.

To UNIEB: I haven't crunched the numbers for exactly where the breakeven is, but we're probably better off moving production from things with long payoffs to CI->Construction conversions. We can get where we want to be faster by riding exponential construction growth harder now and then switching off to other projects.

We're bottlenecked on factory bandwidth and research right now, so that's what we should be primarily aiming to get more of.

At current rates (20%), it will take ~34 months for the CI->Construction conversion to finish. If we switched the production used on the CI->Mine (15%) and CI->Ordnance (10%) conversions, it will finish in ~15.

The conversion increases Earth's industrial output by about 50%. We'll end up with significantly more total stuff in 3 years by getting an extra half earth as soon as possible.

fake edit: terraformer production (20%) should definitely switch too. Nothing that comes out of luna in the next few years is going to be nearly as good as the extra factories.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

fake edit: terraformer production (20%) should definitely switch too. Nothing that comes out of luna in the next few years is going to be nearly as good as the extra factories.

Fite me irl :mad:

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

[b]If we switch to training level 5

terraformer production (20%) should definitely switch too. Nothing that comes out of luna in the next few years is going to be nearly as good as the extra factories.

We aren't allowed to switch training level at our whim.

Terraformed Luna is needed for our mining needs as Earth will be running very short of a number of critical minerals within the next few years. Without a lower colony cost we won't be able to run enough mines to keep up with production. For the rest of your proposed changes in production, well CI->Mines is obvious, we need more mining capacity before we hit the mineral crunch, and the CI->Ordnance conversion is being done as future proofing by UNIEB to prevent the need for extra factories later. In a game where we were alone on Earth or still had significant mineral stocks finishing the conversion at the expense of other things would make sense, but we have actually thought quite a bit about our production schedule.

Gnooble fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 4, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Coolguye posted:

Fite me irl :mad:

You dream of swinging on a vine through the low-gravity jungles of Luna?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Is there a house rule on training level somewhere that I missed? There's nothing in base Aurora mechanics that stops you from changing it besides paying half of your current trained pool. It's not linked to research or anything.

Finishing the conversions will take 10000 tons of duranium and 5000 tons each of tritanium and vendarite. It will eat a year of earth's production of duranium (stockpile will stay steady) and a quarter of our stockpile of tritanium (earth is tapped out). Vendarite is still plentiful.

At 55% (taking CI->mines, CI->ordnance, and terraformers), conversion finishes in 11 months.

Opportunity cost of CI->mines

None of our minerals will underflow in that time, so it doesn't hurt our production directly.

Neutronium (shipyards), tritanium (missiles), and mercassium (labs) are already all gone on earth, so not building more mines doesn't change anything for them.

The other strategic minerals on earth are duranium (everything) and corundium (mines).

11 months is also about how long the CI->mines conversion will take at current production, so we would be building mines the entire time. We will build 200 mines in that time. So we lose about 100 mines average for 11 months. That's 744 tons of duranium and 180 tons of corundium assuming no loss of accessibility. Accessibility of duranium is dropping, so call it 700 tons lost to Fed/Corny total.

700 tons of duranium and 180 tons of corundium seems like a reasonable price to me.

Opportunity cost of CI->ordnance

We're probably not going to fire the entire stockpile in the next year or replace it before ion engines come online, so we don't need immediate production increases to survive.

We would finish the current order of 100 factories during the conversion year and could build 150 if we kept the same production level.

Opportunity cost of terraformers

This is harder to math because we don't have constant terraformer production queued. If we kept at the current pace, we would build about 10 in a year. So we lose an average of 5 for the conversion year. I can't figure out how to SM an atmosphere onto Luna to check what it does to the colony cost, but I don't expect it to be much.

Post-conversion year

That covers costs up to the end of the conversion year. After that there's 25000 BP/year free to catch up on the suspended projects.

10 terraformers @ 600BP each = 6000BP
200 CI->mine @ 20BP each = 4000BP
150 CI->ordnance @ 20BP each = 3000BP

Total BP needed to build everything that was paused = 13000 BP (half a year of production)

The half a year of catch up needs some more catch up time (because we could have been building new things instead of catching up), but it eventually converges. I don't want to work out the ODE now, so call it about 3/4 of a year for the fast conversion economy to pass the slow conversion economy.

tl;dr:

Fast conversion passes slow conversion in total stuff produced after about 1.75 years total. We won't run out of minerals in that time, we aren't going to need lots of new missiles in that time (missile engines won't be done), and it will probably terraform Tranquility faster in the long run(terraformers take longer to arrive, but we can build them much faster)

It costs about 700 tons of duranium and 150 tons of corundium lost to Fed/Corny.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 4, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not going to call any of your calculations into question here, but the problem with your presumptions is that duranium mining on earth at minimum is NOT going to stay steady over the next year. It's very quickly reaching its depletion points (remember that both Fred and Corny are ALSO taking these minerals). Magrov actually graphed out the impending duranium crunch a few (real-life) months back, and that factored in heavily to our current trajectory. Saying if we take the pain for a year we'll make up for it later presumes that the later years are going to be more or less business as usual. They're not. In another year, on our otherwise undisturbed trajectory, we will be staring a Duranium shortage in the face. Another year after that we will probably start feeling the effects of the shortage. This is right when we're supposed to be reaping the benefits of a revitalized and vibrant industrial sector, by your calculations.

You're not wrong that if we were to prioritize conversions it would pay large dividends in industrial capacity. You're also not wrong that more IC is fantastic and we should all want it. The problem is that we don't have the mineral wealth to use that IC to its fullest if we were to focus on it. Lunar mines are going to help the situation quite a bit but they won't solve the problem entirely.

Essentially, if we can get a geo team to crack open the mammothly large D deposit on Venus or to find another good source of Duranium on one of Jupiter's moons I think we'd all be paying a lot more attention to what you were saying. But as it stands we're not really sure what that investment would get us since our mineral future is a little uncertain right now.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 4, 2013

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ah, that's a different argument than I thought you were making.

So the concern is that we're going to become duranium bound instead of factory bound (i.e. we'll have lots of factories and no duranium to build anything in them)?

Current duranium production is 20K tons/year. 11.5K tons/year is from earth and is going to start dropping away and 8.5K tons/year is from stable supplies.

Tranquility has some reserves for a few years (100Ktons @ 0.9), and we have plenty of lift to move stuff to and from earth. The problem is enough population to run the mines.

There's enough free workers now to run 30 more mines. Moving ordnance and construction to earth would free up workers for another 164 mines. Trading admins with Iaeptus for a better mining bonus gets Tranquility to 2750 tons/year more than now.

So we could have about 11K in stable sources right now. Installations tend to be 1 ton/2 BP (ships are cheaper). So that's stable sources for about half of a fully converted economy. Depending on how quickly earth drops/tranquility rises/CMCs rise, you're right, it could be a problem.

bgreman: Can you post the trade goods tabs for earth and tranquility? I want to figure out how much infrastructure the civilians are moving to see if the population will grow fast enough and they aren't on the viewer.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

bgreman: Can you post the trade goods tabs for earth and tranquility? I want to figure out how much infrastructure the civilians are moving to see if the population will grow fast enough and they aren't on the viewer.

I'll post details tomorrow, but I can tell you now that all privately-produced infrastructure from Earth is being delivered to Callisto. Tranq deposits all its private infra into itself.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

Ah, that's a different argument than I thought you were making.

So the concern is that we're going to become duranium bound instead of factory bound (i.e. we'll have lots of factories and no duranium to build anything in them)?

Current duranium production is 20K tons/year. 11.5K tons/year is from earth and is going to start dropping away and 8.5K tons/year is from stable supplies.

Tranquility has some reserves for a few years (100Ktons @ 0.9), and we have plenty of lift to move stuff to and from earth. The problem is enough population to run the mines.

There's enough free workers now to run 30 more mines. Moving ordnance and construction to earth would free up workers for another 164 mines. Trading admins with Iaeptus for a better mining bonus gets Tranquility to 2750 tons/year more than now.

So we could have about 11K in stable sources right now. Installations tend to be 1 ton/2 BP (ships are cheaper). So that's stable sources for about half of a fully converted economy. Depending on how quickly earth drops/tranquility rises/CMCs rise, you're right, it could be a problem.

As calculated by UNEC (and in particular our mechanics guy, Nathan) additional terraforming provides better returns than additional infrastructure on Luna due to the phenomenon of hab ticking which steadily drops the colony cost for us. The current plan as developed by UNCAO/UNIN/UNIEB to deal with the mineral crunch is that once Callisto reaches the population level necessary for maintenance of our warships, Luna will resume full growth. As the mineral access of Earth drops, the ordnance factories on Luna would be returned to Earth and replaced with mines, with additional mines being shipped up as population grows and colony cost falls (reduced CC not only allows more people but lets more people work instead of just working to survive). In addition, conversion of additional automines for deployment to Callisto will enter our production queue since Callisto has our largest deposit of duranium.

A lot of planning has also gone on about ways to crack Venus - including pooling our geo-teams to try and get a lucky access boost that would let us mine the frankly ridiculous amount of Duranium that sadly is currently at access 0.1

Also yes, there is a house rule about training level. Per BG in IRC, he will raise our training level dependent on number of years passed and number of academies built, I believe its something like 10 more years or 5 more academies will get us a bump to level 2, but it has been awhile since that conversation so I may be way off on the numbers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There's also the note with regard to luna that the body is due for an albedo shift in the near future if we keep it going hard enough. An albedo shift will be HUGE for its overall habitability and should happen within 3-4 years if we're rolling 20 terraformers on the moon (IIRC - that has also been a while).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Coolguye posted:

There's also the note with regard to luna that the body is due for an albedo shift in the near future if we keep it going hard enough. An albedo shift will be HUGE for its overall habitability and should happen within 3-4 years if we're rolling 20 terraformers on the moon (IIRC - that has also been a while).

Is that possible with Luna? I didn't think that it had much in the way of polar ice.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Is that possible with Luna? I didn't think that it had much in the way of polar ice.

As far as aurora's concerned it only matters that it has a hydrosphere (which luna does).

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Coolguye posted:

As far as aurora's concerned it only matters that it has a hydrosphere (which luna does).

Mechanics wise, the Crustal hydrosphere that Luna has does not affect the Albedo at all.

Basically, if there is a Hydrosphere on a body in Aurora, it comes in 4 forms: Ice Sheet, Liquid, Vapour, and Crustal. Crustal has no Extent properties, so it will not affect albedo at all and is just fluff.

For terraforming, the only two that matter are Liquid and Ice Sheet.

When a planet's surface temperature is at or below -28C, it will have an Ice Sheet. Raising it a fraction of a degree will flash melt the entire hydrosphere, changing to Liquid and raising the Albedo by (.15 * Extent), where Extent is a percentage. The reverse happens if you drop a temperature below about -24C, (I forget what the exact temperature is, but as Humans we won't worry about this). When you go from Liquid to Ice Sheet, the albedo is reduced by (.15 * Extent).

For Luna, we will need to add about .42 atm of greenhouse gas, Oxygen, and about .22 atm of inert gas for us to get the lunar tundra going, more if we want jungle.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

sloshmonger posted:

For Luna, we will need to add about .42 atm of greenhouse gas, Oxygen, and about .22 atm of inert gas for us to get the lunar tundra going, more if we want jungle.

I want a jungle. We should make Luna a giant jungle.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

sloshmonger posted:

Mechanics wise, the Crustal hydrosphere that Luna has does not affect the Albedo at all.

Having just SM added atmosphere to Luna in a test game, Albedo does shift, although not radically.

edit: The shift seems to be worth 3.8C, which may not sound like much but is a pretty good bump.

Gnooble fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 4, 2013

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Gnooble posted:

Having just SM added atmosphere to Luna in a test game, Albedo does shift, although not radically.

edit: The shift seems to be worth 3.8C, which may not sound like much but is a pretty good bump.

Well I'll be damned. I think Luna may be a special case, or Crustal is extremely rare - I couldn't generate another instance of it in couple dozen systems.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

In the absence of a UNRL opinion, I'm going to go ahead and assign CAPT Fredric Dmitri to command of UNAS Isaac Asimov. His place on the survey team will be taken by CMDR Zyrden (Survey 19%), currently head of the nearly completed Titan mine lift - a unit I feel can easily be managed by a junior officer. It is my hope that when UNRL returns or his deputy takes over they'll approve, but I'll be reassigning these UNIN officers on my own authority. Let's get this gate built! (And another linelayer laid down as well)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Have we thought about Mining Barges to pull some TNE out of some Mars-Jupiter Main belt asteroids? I hear they have high accessibility. Would this be feasible to soften the crunch?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Asteroid mining would requires a 5000 RP construction tech and a large commercial shipyard.

Each mine is 5000 tons and costs the same as a manned mine

They can only mine asteroids and comets. No moons or planets.

On a 1 accessibility asteroid for corundium and duranium, the mine recoups its mineral costs in 5 years (4 with a good captain).

A shipyard tooled for a miner can build freighters/colony ships, but the reverse isn't true since the mines are way more expensive than cargo hold, so we'd have to retool one of the big yards too.

The mines have to come from scratch (no converting from manual mines or CI), so the payoff is farther in the future than most other methods. They pay off faster than automines, but slower than moving mines from earth or converting from CI.

Another avenue to explore is buying from Cornucopia. Last time Tilde was bargaining for stuff, money was higher on her list of wants than minerals

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 5, 2013

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Kommando posted:

Have we thought about Mining Barges to pull some TNE out of some Mars-Jupiter Main belt asteroids? I hear they have high accessibility. Would this be feasible to soften the crunch?

What crunch? Resuming the purchase of Minmas output, plus reseaching the mining efficiency tech, plus reshuffling the colonial administrators have pretty much pushed the potential duranium crunch a good 3-6 years ahead.

Currently the worst situation is Mercassium. The stockpiles dropped about 3kt in the last 10 months and we only produce 0.8kt yearly, but we still have 21kt in stock, which is enough for 17,5 labs.

The duranium stockpile is still dropping, earth is still our major source and it is going to run out of the stuff in 3 years, but now we are getting over 42.7% of our total production from extra-terrestrial sources, up from 33.5% in december 2034. Iapetus doesn't suck that much nowadays.

The tritanium stockpile is also dropping, but Callisto is an excelent source of this stuff - it's already outputting 95% of peak earth production with 1/4 of the mines, and we have about 5 years of current consumption in stock disregarding production, so we are probably safe here too.

Cause for future concerns: Earth is going to run out of Vendarite (61% of our production) in about 2 9 or so years months and Callisto is going to start losing accessibility to Neutronium (43% of our production) in about 3 years (our only other sizeable reserves are located in tranquility and (:argh:) Iapetus.)

Magrov fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 5, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Remind me again why you never put yourself into a position with UNRL.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The deputy spot IS open...

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Magrov posted:

What crunch? Resuming the purchase of Minmas output, plus reseaching the mining efficiency tech, plus reshuffling the colonial administrators have pretty much pushed the potential duranium crunch a good 3-6 years ahead.

Currently the worst situation is Mercassium. The stockpiles dropped about 3kt in the last 10 months and we only produce 0.8kt yearly, but we still have 21kt in stock, which is enough for 17,5 labs.

The duranium stockpile is still dropping, earth is still our major source and it is going to run out of the stuff in 3 years, but now we are getting over 42.7% of our total production from extra-terrestrial sources, up from 33.5% in december 2034. Iapetus doesn't suck that much nowadays.

The tritanium stockpile is also dropping, but Callisto is an excelent source of this stuff - it's already outputting 95% of peak earth production with 1/4 of the mines, and we have about 5 years of current consumption in stock disregarding production, so we are probably safe here too.

Cause for future concerns: Earth is going to run out of Vendarite (61% of our production) in about 2 9 or so years months and Callisto is going to start losing accessibility to Neutronium (43% of our production) in about 3 years (our only other sizeable reserves are located in tranquility and (:argh:) Iapetus.)

Really should just give this man UNRL for life, because holy poo poo mineralchat.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
To: FAUN Ignatov
Re: Jump point miscellany

In regards to the subject of other potential points of mutual benefit surrounding our ongoing extraterrestrial exploration broached rather more informally by our respective embassy staffs, we would like to hereby put those proposals forward more formally.

To wit; the UN can confirm that it has developed a means by which chaotic jump points can be stabilized into a (on human timescales) permanent bridge between stars, and would be amenable, given compensation, to stabilizing one or both sides of the JP2 (Zhongguo) rift on behalf of the Federation of European and Asian Nations - i believe the proposed remuneration was a ten-year extension on the UN Saturnine leases?

If your government remains interested in this possibility or has any additions or alterations to the deal, we are presently interested in moving forward with this proposal expediently and would be interested in hearing them.

message ends

Edit: the CWV now supports time-to-depletion.
Discounting Titan as a source of value due to the ongoing withdrawal, we're left with Mimas and Iapetus.

Mimas generates duranium and only duranium, at excellent accessibility, and will run out in 16 years at current rates (so, it'll run out sooner and take accessibility hits before that)

Iapetus has Duranium, Corundium, and Neutronium, all at good accessibilities, and will run out in 111 years, 90 years, and 33 years, respectively.

I'm not the mineral expert, but this sounds like it's worth hanging on to.

This is mostly just transferring something that was discussed on IRC to the thread - trade a JP2 gate for a decade-long extension of the saturn leases, which could otherwise dangerously tip our mineral situation when they expire. Suggestions, modifications, and comments of favor/disfavor encouraged

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 5, 2013

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

bgreman posted:

I'll post details tomorrow, but I can tell you now that all privately-produced infrastructure from Earth is being delivered to Callisto. Tranq deposits all its private infra into itself.

Earth

Tranquility

Callisto

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Tranquility looks like it's turning into quite the industrial and agricultural powerhouse. Not only is it our main mining colony, but it's starting to produce quite a few goods for export. I'm sure many a rich Earth dignitary has dined on foods seasoned with the finest products of the Tranquility Spice Domes while wearing a supple coat of Luna-produced animal fur.

Callisto looks like it's going to be a pretty big source for Plastics and other industrial goods in the future, but its manufacturing sector is still in its infancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

Since that was a pretty easy one to bang out, I went ahead and did so. There's now a Trade Report on the Raw Viewer. Right now the units are in tons (1 unit of trade goods displaces 2500 void tons) for fluff value, but I can change it back to direct units if this is too confusing.

I also updated the Mining Report to include estimated time to deposit depletion (in days) for each population.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 5, 2013

• Locked thread