Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Has the Mind ever communicated the "normal" way? Wasn't their first message the pseudo-telepathy kind (I don't really remember it that well)?
It would kind of suck sending a secret nuke to their ship with a trigger that blows it up when they start talking to it the only way they can. Also, in my opinion that RoboBeef plan is just a really elaborate (elaborate plans are bad - they never go the UNs way) way to blow up a Mind ship that doesn't matter instead of making the opening salvo the destruction of the Mind ship that does matter (the Linelayer).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
I am willing to detonate a tactical nuke inside of whatever mind facility they decide to show me. It would be my honor.

Obviously this would need to happen at the same time PCOC is destroyed by the Human Coalition Fleet.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Raw_Beef posted:

I am willing to detonate a tactical nuke inside of whatever mind facility they decide to show me. It would be my honor.

Obviously this would need to happen at the same time PCOC is destroyed by the Human Coalition Fleet.

Tactical? Tactical nukes are okay for third-rate dollar general terrorists.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Are there any weapons for disabling ships rather than destroying them?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Readingaccount posted:

Are there any weapons for disabling ships rather than destroying them?

High Powered Microwaves will only affect shields and Sensors making a ship blind. But otherwise its down to crits hitting the engines, fire control or weapons.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Yep, I think the leadership has got it right on this o wait, prepare k2, try to mislead the mind on the jumpoint question (can we create a Potemkin... base or something for that purpose?) and keep allied to the Federation.

When I said "blow it up now" I was thinking of how long the anti tamper software would work, but now I see it was rash.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Aethernet posted:

Hey chaps, could you kindly chill the gently caress out about who has the most imaginary spacemans in play? Some of us only get to check this wondrous sprawling saga of a thread intermittently between life crises, and would appreciate it if it wasn't full of arguments about who has the right to comment on happenings in hypothetical futurespace.

Also, UNRL would like to change its vote to a reconfigured ISIS mission in which we only send RoboBeef equipped with the kind of anti-tamper software we've just developed. Plus some kind of internal warhead that goes off if it's triggered. We then tell the MIND precisely what will happen if they fiddle with him when he's onboard their ship.

Seconding this, look I know we all really love this story and game and awesome universe BG has put a ton of effort in creating/moderating, but we have to know when to chill out. Just because a person doesn't have a character in the game doesn't mean they aren't invested in this thread/story. Hell we've just had a ton of people marathon the whole thread to reach here, that's commitment, there almost 2 and a half years of content there, some wanted characters, others didn't, but all are welcome here. The last, absolutely LAST thing we want to do is become "that thread", the one that's all insiders and people who've only been apart of it from the start and look down on "newer" people. Let's not be those guys.

I know we're dealing with a crisis, but let not have that become an excuse to be jerks okay. /rant

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Leif. posted:

Ceebees did get the message; but whether he'll be back in the thread in time or not, I have no idea. (I hope he understood me; looking back, I neglected to mention on which day the 5-day timer started, so I hope he doesn't think it's already over).

I had thought that, actually.

I think that it got this far proves the point, though, that i just don't have the free time or dedication anymore to keep a council position - with some regret, i feel it's probably best if i resign from UNFRaD. If i'm honest, i think i perhaps shouldn't have stood for re-election, but at the time it didn't look like anyone else was interested. My apologies to the thread in general and BGreman in particular for wasting time waiting for me.

Anyway, i did amuse myself playing diplomat, but i think i'd like to try something else for now. Maybe a spot in the scientist queue?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

You were the best diplomat, Ceebees. The best.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah you did great Ceebees.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ceebees posted:

Anyway, i did amuse myself playing diplomat, but i think i'd like to try something else for now.

Have you ever considered... villainy?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Good job Ceebees!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
You've done good work Ceebees, you've earned a good rest!

Hmmmm, considering Ceebees didn't have a deputy who could fill in until we have our next election and having an election right now in a crisis might not be the best thing to do, I'd like to make a motion to have UNEC do an emergency appointment and temporarily have Leif fill Ceebees post until the next UNFRAD election.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Readingaccount is considering running though, as am I (though I am reluctant to say so since bgreman doesn't like electionchat before elections), so it might not be fair to let Leif take over. I mean, I'd be fine with it, so I guess if Reading is as well it would be okay. Still, might be better to let the whip take emergency powers and dissolve the senate just for this vote.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Jimmy4400nav posted:

You've done good work Ceebees, you've earned a good rest!

Hmmmm, considering Ceebees didn't have a deputy who could fill in until we have our next election and having an election right now in a crisis might not be the best thing to do, I'd like to make a motion to have UNEC do an emergency appointment and temporarily have Leif fill Ceebees post until the next UNFRAD election.

I said like four days ago there was going to be an election if UNFRAD didn't return.

:siren::siren: With the resignation of Ceebees, there is a vacant UNEC seat for the office of United Nations Foreign Relations and Diplomacy. If you'd like to stand for election, please post BGreman, I wish to be a candidate in the election for UNFRAD.

The candidacy period will be open until 00:00 UTC on Saturday, 30th August.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 25, 2014

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
Welp, one minute later and it's okay!

BGreman, I wish to be a candidate in the election for UNFRAD.
Level-headed diplomacy today makes for a bright future tomorrow!

However, Leif, if you wish to run I will drop out of the race in your favour. However, since you said you don't want to run, I will. Nothing personal against Readingaccount, I just don't think leaving the diplomacy arm of the government in the hands of an outspoken reactionary is necessarily the best thing!

Samolety fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 25, 2014

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
As the originator of the plan that turned into ISIS, I am concerned with the potential cancellation of the such an important venture.

As UNFRaD will be needed for this venture, I advocate waiting on any decision regarding this mission until the election is complete.

I'd like to ask potential candidates what their stance is to the ISIS mission, and what you believe regarding:
1) Whether it should go forward.
2) What a "success" outcome will be.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Clear-headed human first policies for our Time of Troubles.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

bgreman posted:

I said like four days ago there was going to be an election if UNFRAD didn't return.

Oppps, my bad, sorry.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Ceebees posted:

Anyway, i did amuse myself playing diplomat, but i think i'd like to try something else for now. Maybe a spot in the scientist queue?

Let me know if this is the route you want to go. Just a warning: if you re-enter the queue, you'll lose all claim to Maurice Chabot.

TildeATH posted:

I want to make it clear that becoming a Policy Maker means you give up your in-game character. TildeATH head of UNFRAD is to be distinct from Grand Principle TildeATH.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 25, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Samolety posted:

I just don't think leaving the diplomacy arm of the government in the hands of an outspoken reactionary is necessarily the best thing!
Reading changes extreme opinions with the seasons; it isnt really accurate to call him a reactionary because he has, at various times, endorsed merging with the Fed and, alternately, destroying them in a glassy holocaust.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

bgreman posted:

I want to make it clear that becoming a Policy Maker means you give up your in-game character. TildeATH head of UNFRAD is to be distinct from Grand Principle TildeATH.

Yes, absolutely. I'll just come up with an absurd new first name. "TildeATH" is a common surname in the 21st century.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TildeATH posted:

I'm definitely voting for Tilde to watch our house of cards come tumbling down :unsmigghh:

Grunden
Jul 23, 2010
Tilde is a shoe-in for humor value alone.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Oh no.

:smithicide:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Oh yes.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I was actually going to run, but on the basis of not splitting the sanity vote I think I'll hold off.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
This will be amazing. I'll volunteer to deputy for whoever ends up winning, but no, I don't plan on running myself.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Akratic Method posted:

I was actually going to run, but on the basis of not splitting the sanity vote I think I'll hold off.

Your good deed will be repaid in full. As the only sane choice, I can promise that devout humanists like yourself will be rewarded with VIP passes to the Humanity Day Victory Extravaganza.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Coolguye posted:

Reading changes extreme opinions with the seasons; it isnt really accurate to call him a reactionary because he has, at various times, endorsed merging with the Fed and, alternately, destroying them in a glassy holocaust.

A clear misrepresentation once again. What I've said when attempts to turn the UN more Federation friendly has been rebuffed is that we should not aim towards cold relationships, we should aim towards a close relationship, or outright alliance, if possible, or outright conquest rather than annoying our neighbors with for example sponsoring piracy, or establishing colonies for the initial purpose of such. Alas, it became apparent with time that the Federation wished to keep us at arm's length. The UN was for a time more interested in meaningless slights rather than either an effective plan to conquer them or working with the Federation, to slowly warm up relations, but with time things have improved as the UNEC started trading tech again, and on my urging BGreman reminded us trade was inactive and ministers put it into motion again. Now, with the aliens here, they've warmed up significantly, though I'm confident they will never consider a merger.

To reiterate, I prefer clear strategic foreign policy approaches towards neighboring polities whose space overlap heavily with our own, and indeed towards any polity in general. I believe in long-term foreign policy approaches, but they should be made with decisive intent.
To summarize: I have always been friendly towards the Federation, but when the UN has been hostile towards the Federation in the past I have advocated formulating a clear foreign policy to strategically reflect such thinking rather than allow it to pull us unprepared into disadvantageous conflicts.

Historically
Against the Mars War and BFM scum (except after a UNIN report that our ships were superior)
Proposed trying TildeATH for treason
Hated Piracy and Cornucopia as a pirate base from Day 1, kept screaming for a second vote after the first one was against those things. Have eventually made my peace with Cornucopia now that they've cleaned up their act and are useful to society.
Pro contact, but anti-alien when we figured out they wished to starve our society of energy and then culturally assimilate us.

As for the Future my stances on the other polities are:

1. Cooperate with the Federation as far as they will cooperate with us, as an equal sovereign entity.
This means I will make a sustained and continuous effort to broaden cooperation on economic, technological and military matters where they are willing to fully and immediately reciprocate. I will however keep a clear seperation on matters of national sovereignty.
2. Immediate War with the Mind
3. Cooperate with Cornucopia as a supplier of various services, as a sovereign entity which must not overstep its bounds as a minor actor in Solar affairs. (Yes, that last part was lifted straight from the Federation announcement.)
4. Cooperate as closely as possible with non-spacefaring blocs on Earth to encourage their accession to the UN. I will not however sabotage the political process of any power that wishes to join the Federation, provided the Federation extends this same courtesy to the UN. In this time of crisis there are but two human powers that truly matter, and they must be made as strong as possible.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 26, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

TildeATH posted:

Yes, absolutely. I'll just come up with an absurd new first name. "TildeATH" is a common surname in the 21st century.

Hmmm, if this is a new character, can I join your ticket as a deputy? We wouldn't want to split the humanist vote.
As you know, I've always admired your efficiency in achieving your goals.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 26, 2014

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Readingaccount posted:

Hmmm, if this is a new character, can I join your ticket as a deputy? We wouldn't want to split the humanist vote.
As you know, I've always admired your efficiency in achieving your goals.

Wouldn't work. I figure since no one would ever believe that I'm Cornucopia neutral, that my candidacy represents stronger ties with Cornucopia officially. I'll put out an official plank once all the candidates have declared.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

Don't let me stop you! I am interested in running UNFRaD and diplomacy is a favourite hobby of mine, but I don't want to prevent someone who has been contributing longer than I have from running. If you're just kinda apathetic to the idea, that's fine, but don't not run purely to avoid splitting the vote.

I will also wait until the candidacy phase is over to give my stump speech.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Yeah dude, just have fun making a run for it. You can always withdraw (I think) if it's necessary to help an aligned candidate win.

> I think most of us would believe it, Tilde. It's RP after all. And for those who wouldn't believe that we're both neutral now a deputy might balance out the councilor a bit.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 26, 2014

wisemanofhyrule
Oct 19, 2012
Im still catching up on the threat but is it possible for me to get added to the Naval Officer Queue?

Thanks

wisemanofhyrule fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 28, 2014

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

bgreman posted:

Let me know if this is the route you want to go. Just a warning: if you re-enter the queue, you'll lose all claim to Maurice Chabot.

I suppose i'll stick with Maurice. I suppose i don't really need an in-game reason for it if i ever get around to running sims for things.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Gnooble posted:

To: Volvo-SAAB Ship Assembly
Subject: Capetown Refits

We will be retooling the yard to the Capetown L variant to allow for refits within 2 months time. The yard will then resume expansion for future use with PROJECT NIKE.

To be clear, does this mean you want me to start the retool process immediately so that it will complete within 2 months, or that you are warning Volvo-SAAB that the order to begin the retool process will come within 2 months?

Task Group COLLIER: Low Callisto Orbit, 6th December 2036

UNS Pearl Harbor is detached from the COLLIER task group. Under the command of CMDR Lu Yan, she is ordered to take on a full load of 75 "Eagle" anti-ship missile and make for the Sol-Roanoke jump point at 2000 kps. The trip out will take nearly five weeks.

Earth: UNCAO HQ, Geneva, 8th December 2036

A new colony level administrator joins UNCAO. Trained in Belnar studies and colonial economics, DagPenge Jr will remain in Geneva until he is assigned a formal colonial oversight position.

Elsewhere, reports from Lockyer on Mars indicate that the Federation has completed the "Phase I" reintegration project, which means that all former BFM settlements are back under de jure administration of the Federation Mars government. While there is still lingering unrest in the most remote areas, the Western media consensus seems to be that most of the communities have fallen in line and are beginning to resume normal economic operations.

Earth: Mumbai, 10th December 2036

Saros posted:

To: Dr. Mikhail Bushuyev, Acting Director NUF; Kontr-admiral Arman Melnikov; UNIN Gnooble; UNFRAD Ceebees.
Subject: The Kaavii/Mind Crisis

The two exchanges and timeframes outlined are acceptable to the UNSA. We will endeavour to have crew quarters miniaturisation and fire control speed improvements ready by March and mid-july respectively. The UNSA will contact you when each of the technologies in question are completed to set up the exchange.

Also attached is a copy of a report on the probable non-existence of the Kaavii Shard and the sensor and perception manipulation capabilities of their ships. The capabilities displayed are extremely troubling especially considering the 'real' vessels encountered so far (the Giza linelayers) are in all likelyhood not specialised deception craft. The UNEC is currently conferring and is likely to consult with the Triumvirate further on this matter.

To: Director Saros, UNSA
Subject: The Kaavii/Mind Crisis

We are pleased to have come to an equitable arrangement so smoothly. We also appreciate the intelligence regarding the Shard and Mind mental/electronic project abilities. We intend to ask To Reveal the Hidden Path, Expeditiously to refrain from direct projection and instead to communicate by more conventional (by human standards) methods. However, in order to not potentially tip off the Mind that humanity has become aware of these abilities, we wish to clear this course of action with the UN first.

Additionally, please find attached sensor readings on the stabilization efforts of To Reveal the Hidden Path, Expeditiously in FED 003. We wonder whether your experience with Peaceful Concepts of Communion have left you with any insight as the rate of Mind gatebuilding?

Officer Attribute Increases
  • CMDR DarthDan - Crew Training Rating: 75 -> 100 (+25), 3rd December 2036
  • CMDR MrYenko - Crew Training Rating: 125 -> 150 (+25), 3rd December 2036
  • Administrator Iunnrais - Ground Unit Construction Speed Bonus: 15% -> 25% (+10%), 8th December 2036

Civilian Construction
  • BP Saturn
    • Iapetus Civilian Mining Colony: Expanded to 26 CMCs, 6th December 2036
    Yamamoto Marine
    • Santa Maria-class colony ship SS Marruvium, 9th December 2036

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Last time I counted it, they took about 140 days to stabilise a gate.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!

bgreman posted:

Earth: UNCAO HQ, Geneva, 8th December 2036

A new colony level administrator joins UNCAO. Trained in Belnar studies and colonial economics, DagPenge Jr will remain in Geneva until he is assigned a formal colonial oversight position.

I finally got a administrator, with those stats, I doubt I'll get somewhere good for quite some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
That's another thing, if the Mind has begun to get sloppy it probably thinks it's already gotten the information it wants.

• Locked thread