Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

TildeATH posted:

My first agenda, upon assuming the mantle of UNFRAD, would be to develop, through clandestine means, the evidence and appearance of pro-Mind sentiment among the various leadership of the unaligned nations. This activity, done either in cooperation with or through tacit knowledge on the part of FEAN and Cornucopia, would ultimately end in the equal subdivision of the unaligned nations proportionately among the three powers.

Please hear this plea from a potential voter. Right now Samo and RA come off as more credible because of the tone of your rhetoric and the insanely specific Tom Clancy fantasizing and this your replaces your platform. You are allowing yourself to be defined relative to the other candidates and this puts you in their shadow.

I feel like there are some things in what you're saying that I might agree with in spirit but they are incredibly hard to grasp and study because you are working so hard to be different from the others. Please show us how strong your platform is by standing on it. Better yet, step down off of it and show the voters the range of your Diplomatic ability by participating in the disucssion that Samo and RA are getting started on this page (edit: last page cuz top page'd).

I'm asking this of you because of my dilemma. Samo and RA may have more palatable platforms but those platforms very closely resemble the two sides of the existing political discussion. A political discussion that has led us to a state of arguably inevitable war of existential stakes with an enemy that, due to insufficiently advanced instrumentation both organic and electronic, we have recently learned we cannot even reliably measure. Others might agree that those circumstances warrant mistrust of the past political discussion. You seem to represent something else. Please show us your ability for Diplomacy, not at some future date, but right now. Your conviction belongs on the council, and we can't wait for them to open a new branch of government that better fits it, so you are gonna have to be the thing that bends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

TildeATH posted:

It's funny you should mention the unaligned nations, because they factor into my plans quite prominently.

My first agenda, upon assuming the mantle of UNFRAD, would be to develop, through clandestine means, the evidence and appearance of pro-Mind sentiment among the various leadership of the unaligned nations. This activity, done either in cooperation with or through tacit knowledge on the part of FEAN and Cornucopia, would ultimately end in the equal subdivision of the unaligned nations proportionately among the three powers.

With robo-aliens, Psychic alien rapists, space mines and Lovecraftian precursors, there can no longer be an "unaligned" portion of humanity. I intend to make that practical truth into a fundamental reality.

Crazy plan? That's all I needed.

1. TildeATH
2. Readingaccount

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

MagnumOpus posted:

Please hear this plea from a potential voter. Right now Samo and RA come off as more credible because of the tone of your rhetoric...

If you don't know who I am by now, listen to this man:

Added Space posted:

1. TildeATH
2. Readingaccount

I don't engage in debate with my inferiors, a skill I will happily employ in my diplomacy with the lesser cousins of Humanity as well as our various enemies. The only people I care about are the people. I am but their instrument. If it seems that the free citizens of the United Nations demand action and the investment of blood in the noble vanquishing of our enemies, both on Earth and in the far reaches, then that is what I shall do.

And it grows ever more clear that the only segment of the voting populace that doesn't agree with my agenda resides at 1 Fat Cat Plaza, Geneva, SW 00666.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

TildeATH posted:

It's funny you should mention the unaligned nations, because they factor into my plans quite prominently.

With robo-aliens, Psychic alien rapists, space mines and Lovecraftian precursors, there can no longer be an "unaligned" portion of humanity. I intend to make that practical truth into a fundamental reality.

Nope, no Cornucopia sympathies at all, only treating them like they're an equal superpower to the Federation and UN and trying to give them more manpower and make them grow. But totally not biased towards them guys.

Even your insane comic book plans show where your true allegiance lies.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

TildeATH posted:

Yes, let's waste our resources trying to court potential humanity-betrayers when we could easily sweep aside their outdated self-defense forces and garrison the conquered territories without the slightest strain on our military until such a time as they recognize the error of their MIND-supporting ways.

I already have it on very good authority that FEAN would agree to this with no hesitation. And spreading news of the MIND is something that will have to happen at some point--better it should serve a purpose than cause random panic, as you would suggest we do, Samolety.

The majority of the unaligned nations (CLC, Balkans, North Africa) have been steadily increasing their ties to the UN via our various diplomatic overtures. Is the shining light of the UN suggesting we hand over UN leaning nations to FEAN? Only East Africa remains a FEAN supporting bloc of unaligned nations. If we were to equally divide these nations, would we not be violating one of the central tenets of your platform? Does this mean the esteemed TildeATH is ACTUALLY A FEDERATION AGENT!? Your plan seems to closely resemble the fate that befell the United Nations at Mars...

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

TildeATH posted:

I don't engage in debate with my inferiors, a skill I will happily employ in my diplomacy with the lesser cousins of Humanity as well as our various enemies. The only people I care about are the people. I am but their instrument.

Prove it. Fat Cats are fond of telling me they will do things in the future and doing everything they can do avoid showing in the right now. What you "won't do" doesn't do us poo poo, and if you're "an instrument" then we don't want a horn that just blows itself all day. All you've shown me so far is you can ignore what I do actually care about just so you can pick the part that's easiest for you to respond to.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Also vote for yourself Tilde you incompetent poo poo

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.

Added Space posted:

1. TildeATH
2. Readingaccount

There you have it, folks! The man responsible for the biggest blunder the UN has ever made has endorsed candidate TildeATH. Crazy plans, Added Space, why, it's beginning to look like a vote for TildeATH is a vote for another Mars Crisis!

Where is old Korbalev these days, anyway? He always did have a knack for infiltrating deep cover agents...

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

MagnumOpus posted:

Prove it. Fat Cats are fond of telling me they will do things in the future and doing everything they can do avoid showing in the right now. What you "won't do" doesn't do us poo poo, and if you're "an instrument" then we don't want a horn that just blows itself all day. All you've shown me so far is you can ignore what I do actually care about just so you can pick the part that's easiest for you to respond to.

I'm not going to pander to get votes. If you can't see that I am the only candidate with the iron and skills to engage in high-level negotiations with bad actors in The Federation, the Community, Cornucopia, and whatever robo-hellhole we uncover next, then I can't help you.

This is a democracy, you have to decide on your own who the right candidate is. I have confidence in the people of the United Nations that they will make the right choice in this, our darkest hour.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Tilde is still incredibly biased towards Corny as shown by wanting to divide territory with them (lol no they dont get a seat at the table) and trying in irc the last few days to get us to back a '3 power joint task group' which mostly involves giving massive amounts of tech to Corny so they can build a few dinky warships.

Tildeath where do your true loyalties really lie?! Seriously vote for Samoltey this annex the world poo poo is the worst idea ever. Nobody remembers Iraq or Syria already?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Bah, I might me an uncompromising UN nationalist but goddamn it I am a UN nationalist! I am changing my vote. I refuse to let a Corny sympathizer be in charge of UN diplomacy!

1.Readingaccount
2.Samolety

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

TildeATH posted:

I'm not going to pander to get votes. If you can't see that I am the only candidate with the iron and skills to engage in high-level negotiations with bad actors in The Federation, the Community, Cornucopia, and whatever robo-hellhole we uncover next, then I can't help you.

This is a democracy, you have to decide on your own who the right candidate is. I have confidence in the people of the United Nations that they will make the right choice in this, our darkest hour.

It is hard for me to imagine a diplomatic scenario more stacked in your favor than a voter in an election you are trying to win who, disinclined to all other parties and platforms, is desperately trying to give you their vote. If you could not successfully navigate a diplomatic encounter that straight across the plate, how are we supposed to think you'll do with aliens?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Saros posted:

Tilde is still incredibly biased towards Corny as shown by wanting to divide territory with them (lol no they dont get a seat at the table) and trying in irc the last few days to get us to back a '3 power joint task group' which mostly involves giving massive amounts of tech to Corny so they can build a few dinky warships.

To be fair, my idea was to arm Cornucopia, pull them closer into our sphere, and annex them. I suggested that we create a formal 3-sided task force with Cornucopia and FEAN, that would be referred to as Humanity's Fleet, that would keep those Cornucopia ships under our watch, and would allow us to better relations with FEAN at the same time.

Not that I don't want to conquer FEAN in a Cornucopia-abetted sneak attack, but until then I'd prefer that they gave us tech and trade.

So if you ask where my loyalties lie, it's the UN. I'm just a bit more willing to try to improve the UN's position through the kinds of questionable acts that a nice little choir boy like Samolety would find unpalatable.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

TildeATH posted:

To be fair, my idea was to arm Cornucopia, pull them closer into our sphere, and annex them. I suggested that we create a formal 3-sided task force with Cornucopia and FEAN, that would be referred to as Humanity's Fleet, that would keep those Cornucopia ships under our watch, and would allow us to better relations with FEAN at the same time.

Not that I don't want to conquer FEAN in a Cornucopia-abetted sneak attack, but until then I'd prefer that they gave us tech and trade.

So if you ask where my loyalties lie, it's the UN. I'm just a bit more willing to try to improve the UN's position through the kinds of questionable acts that a nice little choir boy like Samolety would find unpalatable.

The fleet we build to work for us can just as easily work against us. It is better that Cornucopia know its place as a firmly third-rate power.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

1.Readingaccount
2.Samolety

Because I don't want humanity to fall go boom. Yet.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

unwantedplatypus posted:

It is better that Cornucopia know its place as a firmly third-rate power.

As anyone with even a passing knowledge of Corny knows, that policy has pushed them ever more into FEAN's sphere. They're massive research infrastructure and other resources should be ours, and not floating around free or dangling on FEAN's keychain.

I grant that the plan is not foolproof, none are, but it is a plan, rather than a set of vague status quo ante statements that never acknowledge the value of Cornucopia as an integrated part of the United Nations and serve to feed Federation research and production goals.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

TildeATH posted:

As anyone with even a passing knowledge of Corny knows, that policy has pushed them ever more into FEAN's sphere. They're massive research infrastructure and other resources should be ours, and not floating around free or dangling on FEAN's keychain.

I grant that the plan is not foolproof, none are, but it is a plan, rather than a set of vague status quo ante statements that never acknowledge the value of Cornucopia as an integrated part of the United Nations and serve to feed Federation research and production goals.

And what has FEAN done? Kept them at arms length. We may trade with them. We may ally with them. We may assist them. However, we should not attempt to "uplift" them into being a major power.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Back when I was on the UNEC my plan for binding Cornucopia to the UN was to allow them the option to lease the entire Berlin cruiser squadron for their purposes. That had to be put on ice when K2 was discovered and UNIN suddenly needed every ship with a missile launcher it could get its hands on.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Samolety posted:

Furthermore, I have it on very good authority that you fight like a dairy farmer.

How appropriate! I have it on very good authority that you fight like a cow.

1. TildeATH
2. Readingaccount

Grunden
Jul 23, 2010

Samolety posted:

Furthermore, I have it on very good authority that you fight like a dairy farmer.

As treasurer of the Trans-Newtonian Agribusiness Council, I highly resent the implication of this statement. I will have you know that traditionally throughout history, soldiers have been primarily made up of farm workers. You sound like a man who has never even seen a cow, let alone work with them to make such an inflammatory remark.

As such, I feel I have to cast my vote accordingly:

1. TildeATH
2. ReadingAccount

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Cornucopian election update:

President Grant has issued mechanical tactile response keyboards to all office machines in RoC buildings.

Suicides have increased 400% in the last few days as cubicle dwellers are driven insane by the incessant click-clack of a thousand keys.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

TildeATH posted:

Your previous posts put the lie to that claim. You specifically called out that you wanted to split neutral nations with cornucopia like they were a superpower and keep trying to give them stuff so they can become bigger.

You sir(madam or whatever) are a Cornucopia agent through and through.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Non-aligned countries are a fiction that I'm pretty sure bgreman has never actually done anything with, so I'm actually pretty chuffed about everyone getting upset about this plan because there's literally nothing that will happen, but it's made everyone upset. Well done once again, Tilde!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It would be helpful if the other two candidates set out their position on Cornucopia clearly, as I am considering changing my vote following Tilde's dreadful appeasement of a nation whose long-term future can only involve being accelerated to ramming speed. While Cornucopia has significant infrastructure, given their previous reluctance to contribute to the common good of humanity (see: "We will let you use our shipyards at cost! Look how good we are for not making a profit during war!" while both ourselves and the Federation shoulder the cost of Sol's defence) there is a case for immediate appropriation of that infrastructure and turning it into enormous engines.

I will look kindly on candidates willing to take a firm line with this craven lesser nation, and may switch my vote accordingly, depending on their Appeasement Score in other areas. I will certainly not vote for a candidate who believes Corny should be at the top table when the fate of Sol is decided.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

DatonKallandor posted:

Your previous posts put the lie to that claim. You specifically called out that you wanted to split neutral nations with cornucopia like they were a superpower and keep trying to give them stuff so they can become bigger.

You sir(madam or whatever) are a Cornucopia agent through and through.

Look at this puppet of the Council of Weakness slandering a candidate that has done nothing wrong. Clearly we need to crush Cornucopia as they, like the MIND and the FRED are not part of the UN.

But how do we do this? TildeATH is the ONLY candidate to issue a plan on dealing with the MIND/FRED/CONNIE menace. The plan is sound and will surely put a spanner into the hammer and sickle of the FRED warmachine.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Chiwie posted:

TildeATH is the ONLY candidate to issue a plan on dealing with the MIND/FRED/CONNIE menace. The plan is sound and will surely put a spanner into the hammer and sickle of the FRED warmachine.

How. Explain how. You or Tilde, I don't mind, but I want to hear how your plan will put a spanner in the works of the Federation's military. I've been reading the thread and I don't see where this claim comes from. So answer.

Oh, and explain to me also how now is the best moment to reduce the military capabilities of the Federation. Tilde or you, explain that one. Now.

VV So that's where your avatar quote comes from? ;)

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 2, 2014

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Tilde, I demand you explain how magnets work. Oh, and explain how to meet girls online.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

unwantedplatypus posted:

And what has FEAN done? Kept them at arms length.

Would that this were true. Cornucopia has provided us with some usefulness, but they have been like a Second India to the Federation. Partly, this is the fault of the mad woman and drunk who have run that warren, but the majority of the blame for arming our enemies goes to the willful intransigence of UNEC, which through their petty squabbles and vindictiveness have pushed Cornucopia into deal after deal with FEAN. As a result, FEAN provides Cornucopia with money and weapons of war and God knows what else, while we pat ourselves on the back for maintaing Jimmy and Gnooble's blood feud.

Aethernet posted:

It would be helpful if the other two candidates set out their position on Cornucopia clearly, as I am considering changing my vote following Tilde's dreadful appeasement of a nation whose long-term future can only involve being accelerated to ramming speed. While Cornucopia has significant infrastructure, given their previous reluctance to contribute to the common good of humanity (see: "We will let you use our shipyards at cost! Look how good we are for not making a profit during war!" while both ourselves and the Federation shoulder the cost of Sol's defence) there is a case for immediate appropriation of that infrastructure and turning it into enormous engines.

I suppose this all stems from my desire to split up the unaligned nations proportionately between FEAN, UN and Cornucopia. I only suggested this out of expedience, because I wanted to have it done as quickly as possible, and by including Cornucopia in the conspiracy, it left no loose ends and only cost us 80m/2b / 2 = 2% of the population and infrastructure. Maybe there was some confusion of the proportionate comment, by which I meant proportionate to population and not three ways equally, which is nuts (but I suppose a reasonable misunderstanding of my plan). I am perfectly willing to see the plan amended to give Cornucopia nothing in this case, though it might provide the unaligned nations with some kind of annoying leverage. I would like to see the Unaligned Problem resolved immediately, so that we can put their resources and manpower to work fighting the MIND, and I cannot believe the planners and candidates who think that we can put another 10-20 years into wooing them, as if mindraping aliens weren't sharpening their knives as we speak.

It's my belief that Samolety is actually softer on Cornucopia, since he has long referred to improving the UN's relations with this vile little lamprey, but without any plans to absorb them, as I have always stated. I think, like FEAN, Samolety wants to live in peace with Cornucopia, and whatever new festering boils he lets grow out of the unaligned nations. This comes from Samolety's basic desire to live in peace with everyone and everything. I've heard he even intends to reopen talks with the K2 aliens, with the hopes that they can be resettled on Earth. It's hard to tell, given that I have always provided detailed answers and plans at the slightest prompting, even though I know that such complicated plans can and have been used against me in willful misconstruction by my enemies and the enemies of the people of the UN.

In contrast, Samolety prefers to stand back and nod when the establishment attacks me for daring to claim that FEAN is our sworn enemy and that the MIND should be destroyed and that we should absorb Cornucopia. Like so many others, I would like to know his positions on these important topics. Likely we'll just get more smoke and mirrors from his establishment proxies.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TildeATH posted:

It's my belief that Samolety is actually softer on Cornucopia, since he has long referred to improving the UN's relations with this vile little lamprey, but without any plans to absorb them, as I have always stated. I think, like FEAN, Samolety wants to live in peace with Cornucopia, and whatever new festering boils he lets grow out of the unaligned nations. This comes from Samolety's basic desire to live in peace with everyone and everything. I've heard he even intends to reopen talks with the K2 aliens, with the hopes that they can be resettled on Earth. It's hard to tell, given that I have always provided detailed answers and plans at the slightest prompting, even though I know that such complicated plans can and have been used against me in willful misconstruction by my enemies and the enemies of the people of the UN.

First off, that stance on Cornucopia is, from what I've seen, fairly reflective of what a decent portion of us think. Since we're stuck with Cornucopia, our best bet is to improve relations so we can suck up more and more resources and benefits from them. Plus again, Cornucopia is just a few offices in Brazil that subcontract throughout the CNC and they have two asteroids.

As for the later, nice strawman argument there, because the candidate does not advocate immediately declaring war, they must be some liberal peacenik, never mind that they have said multiple times that they will not tolerate any MIND incursion into Sol.

TildeATH posted:

In contrast, Samolety prefers to stand back and nod when the establishment attacks me for daring to claim that FEAN is our sworn enemy and that the MIND should be destroyed and that we should absorb Cornucopia. Like so many others, I would like to know his positions on these important topics. Likely we'll just get more smoke and mirrors from his establishment proxies.

See, to make a historical analogue here, your basically being Joseph Kennedy, AKA the Worst Kennedy. Do we want to appoint a person to high diplomatic office whose been on record saying that the guys he's supposed to be talking to should be destroyed? There are offices where that's appropriate, but not what is in essence our high ambassadorial office.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.

TildeATH posted:

I believe I have made this abundantly clear, and your strawman arguments begin to tire me. I will make it as simple as possible.

Federation: Cooperate, but don't let them pull ahead.
Cornucopia: Cooperate, sway to the UN's side of the political spectrum, diplomatically annex if at all possible
MIND: Observe, prepare for war, destroy if they attempt to enter Sol
Unaligned Nations: Spread UN-positive propaganda, diplomatically sway into the UN's court, convince to join the UN.
K2 Aliens: Expedite the murder of these bastards and claim their sweet, sweet loot.

Your accusation that I intend to 'reopen talks with the K2 aliens' simply continues to point at how out of touch with reality you actually are. Are we truly considering allowing a legitimately crazy person onto the council?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Chiwie posted:

Look at this puppet of the Council of Weakness slandering a candidate that has done nothing wrong. Clearly we need to crush Cornucopia as they, like the MIND and the FRED are not part of the UN.

But how do we do this? TildeATH is the ONLY candidate to issue a plan on dealing with the MIND/FRED/CONNIE menace. The plan is sound and will surely put a spanner into the hammer and sickle of the FRED warmachine.

You mean the only candidate to issue a plan to give unaligned nations to the FRED and CONNIE menace. By our own description you should be calling for Tilde to be lynched.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Thanks for the convincing Tildeath.

I am changing my vote
1. Samolety
2. Readings count
... Everyone else
#.Tildeath

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
You know what we need: more policy debate. I don't yet understand Samolety's complete position on his improved relations with Cornucopia.

TildeATH fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 2, 2014

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

1. TildeATH
2. Readingaccount

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

DatonKallandor posted:

You mean the only candidate to issue a plan to give unaligned nations to the FRED and CONNIE menace. By our own description you should be calling for Tilde to be lynched.

Well what do we have here?

A Council of Weakness hitman sent to attempt to discredit the voice of the people.

Tide is the only candidate that is ANTI FRED, ANTI ALIEN and PRO REMOVAL OF THE CONNIE MENACE by destruction or absorption.

More importantly, Tide is the only candidate that will not be a mindless Council of Weakness puppet.

I for one, want a new voice on the council. Not just the same "WAIT AND SEE" approach and gross mismanagement that has made us lose out time and time again.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

unwantedplatypus posted:

Bah, I might me an uncompromising UN nationalist but goddamn it I am a UN nationalist! I am changing my vote. I refuse to let a Corny sympathizer be in charge of UN diplomacy!

1.Readingaccount
2.Samolety

Well, I understand your thinking, but is Tilde being pro-Cornucopia (presumably, seems to be taking a different tone now, but not one I take seriously, as absorbing Connie would defeat the long-term research advantage and cash and carry construction capabilities it provides) really worth Samolety being more pro-Federation and 'wait and see' to you? To me at least, Cornucopia seems to be the least important part of our platforms as compared to our relations with the only other human superpower and an alien one.

The Federation stance on Cornucopia is that they were initially wary of it, but find it useful now (but insists and has made it clear it will take steps to ensure it remains a minor power in Solar affairs). I don't think anyone hated Corncuopia more than me, and it's still ambitious, but it's a fairly vanilla structure now with Coolguye in charge. It does not engage in criminal insanity and war crimes anymore, though it's probably still a financial laundry point.
Granted, Tilde will probably make a number of reasonable to outright wild pro-Cornucopia proposals that either seem innocuous or use her animal charisma to hypnotize/entertain voters, but the UNEC is mostly immune to that by now.

sloshmonger posted:

I am changing my vote
1. Samolety
2. Readings count
... Everyone else
#.Tildeath

I think you'll find Tilde very sane when actually in power, with the exception of the propaganda and an experimental plan or two.

Samolety posted:

Federation: Cooperate, but don't let them pull ahead.
Cornucopia: Cooperate, sway to the UN's side of the political spectrum, diplomatically annex if at all possible
MIND: Observe, prepare for war, destroy if they attempt to enter Sol
Unaligned Nations: Spread UN-positive propaganda, diplomatically sway into the UN's court, convince to join the UN.
K2 Aliens: Expedite the murder of these bastards and claim their sweet, sweet loot.

The diplomatic annexation of Cornucopia would negate most of the long-term advantages it provides to humanity.

On the matter of the Mind, we once again have confirmation you will not act till the ones who have declared our imminent destruction (by resource starvation or assimilation) are on our very doorsteps. Even if we do not attack sooner rather than later we should absolutely not wait till such a late stage; especially if we are planning, as you are, to speak firmly to the Mind.

Unaligned Nations: The UN is indeed the most favorable umbrella of mankind, but we must remember the unaligned nations are unimportant. What really matters is that as part of neither bloc their potential for humanity has and will continue to be wasted. An agreement with the Federation on a sphere of influence or even outright conquest would be far more effective.

K2 Aliens: I agree, except I believe the priority should be the destruction of the Linelayer. Also, while the chance of recovering technology and other artifacts and resources are high we should not assume a 100% likelihood or that recovering them, even once victorious (if we are victorious), will be easy.

As regards the Federation, I absolutely agree, though I believe it will be a very difficult job to charm them into cooperating more closely without giving away anything. For that purpose I have a very firm knowledge of the absolute unwillingness of the UN General Assembly to give away any advantage for free, with that as my foundation I am the candidate that understands and am more fond of the Federation than any other UN personnel whom will build a diplomatic system to more efficiently and regularly interact with our neighbor.

---

Some voters may still be confused as to why I believe Tilde to be a far superior candidate to Samolety.
Consider their basic histories:

Samolety is an untested candidate. From his posts however we can expect a vanilla UNEC Councilor in agreement with all mainstream proposals.

Tilde founded and grew Cornucopia against staggering odds, including a vote not to create it in the first place... In running Cornucopia she has shown the most realpolitikal bent seen in the thread, cooperating with either the Federation or the UN as necessary for survival and profit and utilizing diplomatic skills and talent to bolster its growth. The only thing I have to say against her handling of Cornucopia was her continueing to run it as a pirate haven (for fun presumably), but she did not hesitate to sacrifice Raw Beef once the Federation grew tired of the roguery, or step down for the continued prosperity and future growth of Cornucopia. Her adds are intentionally artistic propaganda entertainment and will be useful for swaying the opinions of the population. As for boredom... there'll be plenty of conflict to entertain her this time around.
She is the candidate with the talent and the experience necessary to run UNFRAD.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 3, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

An independent Cornucopia is a means by which we of the UN can directly convert money (which we have plenty of) into research and production (which we can always do with more of). So on the whole, I think Corny remaining independent benefits us. Yes, there's the downside of 'they might potentially help Fred too', but it's still a net benefit.

Offering them a seat at the interplanetary table, at this stage, is dumb, though. In my view, we need to adopt a consistent, largely benevolent, and overall pragmatic stance toward Corny, with a long term goal of making them more of an.. aligned-but-distinct entity (a vassal state, though that particular wording may be a touch on-the-nose), and less of an unpredictable wildcard that wanders to wherever the grass is greenest.

If we continue to alternate between feeding Corny from our own plates and randomly kicking them, then of course they can't be relied on, because we can't loving be relied on either.

Though, TildeATH being TildeATH, there's no doubt going to remain a degree of, let's just say 'uncertainty', no matter what we do.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Her history is one of always being able to get out of any of the trouble she gets into.
The only partial exception to that is the Mars War which she helped escalate, but ultimately the responsibility for the Mars War is on the then UNECs hands.
At any rate she turned that whole debacle into a third polity and the child of a charismatic insurgent who could end up ruling Mars someday.

The Mind will be quite a different creature to deal with, and not one that she can use her human-centric diplomatic strategies on, but before even considering options on how and when to engage an attitude of unrelenting hostility is a solid decision in the face of declarations for us to starve to death or be assimilated and relocated like so much furniture. It certainly beats one Councilor considering them construction workers yelling at us to pay our taxes.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 3, 2014

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Readingaccount posted:

Her history is one of always being able to get out of any of the trouble she gets into.
The only partial exception to that is the Mars War which she helped escalate, but ultimately the responsibility for the Mars War is on the then UNECs hands for breaking an agreement to support rebel scum.
At any rate she turned that whole debacle into a third polity and the child of a charismatic insurgent who could end up ruling Mars someday.

But what else did she ever do besides the Mars War? Founded Cornucopia, and got in no trouble at all for that by virtue of quitting to go do something else for a while. So we have one thing she helped to fail, and another where most of the success has been due to the current Cornucopian president, who's actually hung around and ruled the place.

She's the Sarah Palin of Coldest War: quotably insane, riles up the wing-nuts with fiery populism, and ultimately has no real accomplishments to stand on but for one leadership position that she quit mid-way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I'm certain Tilde was more concerned with the fate of the BFM and her personal power than the UN. It's why I wanted her tried for treason.
She did actually set up a lot of Cornucopia's existing infrastructure and some of its trade deals. And knowing when to leave office for the well-being of a charge you care about is one of the most important aspect of politics.
The insanity is for show. Notice the hedges on her platform as regards dealing with the Federation.
What matters is that as a UNEC Councilor her being reelected will hinge on her performance.

At any rate it beats Samolety's plan to talk to the Mind sternly, letting them know we really dislike their current attitude, and then telling them to stop 'if they're attempting to enter Sol'. I'm sure we'll be able to couch that in such terms that they don't understand what we're about to do; there's a chance we might tactically surprise the linelayer and that an Enforcer ship isn't already on the way after all.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 3, 2014

• Locked thread