Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
The Belnar White Paper and associated scholarship make clear that the Belnar outpost on Mars received resupply missions from Klondike-Kagayan. It also rules out K2 as the Belnar home system, as the Belnar star was a red dwarf, and both Klondike and Kagayan are K type main sequence stars. While they may have had a mining colony or similar present, I find it highly unlikely they would have let themselves die out rather than trying to resupply from their homeworld (which if K2 was a dead end must lie through another JP) Either our math is off (xeno team away) or the JP has somehow collapsed or vanished in the intervening 30 million years.

Methinks a JP we should have found, or else a translator is gonna get fired for translating an ancient Belnar practical joke.

edit: Update on previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Technically it could be a "closed" warp point - one that's only detectable from one side. We won't find out unless we find the other side or something comes through. Of course, both of these are pretty much pointless, so... :smithicide:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Time for a newish map, it was long overdue. This one is actually from two updates ago but should give you at least some idea about current positions of ships and what all the names actually represent. I'll do a new map eventually when BG updates the raws.

===

What we need to do now is plan our future expansion. K2 is closed as I've feared which means we have to expand elsewhere - and I don't think the Federation will let us into Zhongguo, we have to find our own systems. As I've posted before, we will soon have quite a bit of exploration assets without any tanks, and I don't want to keep them idle. In short term, K2 has to be cleared of the Hoplites, after which the UNRL will send the Lyells in to provide us with geographic surveys. Hopefully we'll find at least some minerals and we'll be able to set up a mining base serviced by civilian freighters. But the question is: where do we go from there?

And I don't really see any other option than Batavia. Clearing that system should be our next goal immediately after K2, and as soon as possible. We need an extrasolar colony, and Batavia is the only candidate. In the meantime, I would suggest to send the now idle El Dorados to continue surveying the Uwazi chain.

We can set up a staging base at Jamestown, which is about half the way between Sol and Batavia.

The big question here is whether we can afford to gate the Sol-Roanoke gate and risk getting Sol connected to the Mind's network. But it's more of a rhetorical question because gating that jump point is now inevitable. Without the gate we will never expand.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: Also, shouldn't we try to locate Peaceful Concepts of Communion, much like the Federation is currently searching for To Reveal the Hidden Path, Expeditiously?

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 15, 2014

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The legendary UN luck strikes again! Except this time we can't really blame ourselves.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

EDIT: Wrong Aurora thread! Suddenly we have two and that's confusing.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
TO: Gnooble, UNIN

Sir

I'm happy to report that our mission was completed successfully, though obviously the results of the survey were disappointing, to put it mildly.

All the crews under my command performed their tasks with the highest levels of skill and professionalism, however I do have a concern with the toll that long duration missions have on the mental health of Navy personnel, especially on missions such as the one we undertook, which was a task requiring high concentration but had little to no excitement.

There were a few minor incidents of crew indiscipline and restlessness, we were able to put a lid on the tensions but the potential for more serious incidents to occur in the future exists. Especially with long range exploration missions or patrols.

It is my suggestion that future survey craft have more recreational facilities available, to keep the minds of our personnel sharp. I also think that more powerful scanning equipment should be fitted onto our craft, a modification that will aid our long term strategic goals.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

markus_cz posted:

Time for a newish map, it was long overdue. This one is actually from two updates ago but should give you at least some idea about current positions of ships and what all the names actually represent. I'll do a new map eventually when BG updates the raws.

===

What we need to do now is plan our future expansion. K2 is closed as I've feared which means we have to expand elsewhere - and I don't think the Federation will let us into Zhongguo, we have to find our own systems. As I've posted before, we will soon have quite a bit of exploration assets without any tanks, and I don't want to keep them idle. In short term, K2 has to be cleared of the Hoplites, after which the UNRL will send the Lyells in to provide us with geographic surveys. Hopefully we'll find at least some minerals and we'll be able to set up a mining base serviced by civilian freighters. But the question is: where do we go from there?

And I don't really see any other option than Batavia. Clearing that system should be our next goal immediately after K2, and as soon as possible. We need an extrasolar colony, and Batavia is the only candidate. In the meantime, I would like to send the now idle El Dorados to continue surveying the Uwazi chain - if UNIN can provide us with some jump tenders.

We can set up a staging base at Jamestown, which is about half the way between Sol and Batavia.

The big question here is whether we can afford to gate the Sol-Roanoke gate and risk getting Sol connected to the Mind's network. But it's more of a rhetorical question because gating that jump point is now inevitable. Without the gate we will never expand.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: Also, shouldn't we try to locate Peaceful Concepts of Communion, much like the Federation is currently searching for To Reveal the Hidden Path, Expeditiously?

In order to clear Batavia, UNIN will require a gate chain through Roanoke. We do not have the capability to move heavy warships via jump tender. LABYRINTH will go ahead (if nothing else, the lack of resupply from beyond K2 for the Belnar would indicate we'll find SOMETHING) after which yea...it's pretty much Batavia. ALso, the xeno team should re-examine the Belnar relics, because some wires got crossed.

Either way, this a massive blow to our ability to expand effectively, and one that we had plenty of evidence to suggest wouldn't happen. Damned RNG...

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Oh right, I forgot our military doesn't have tenders. Setting up gates all the way to Batavia will take more than four years. :(

Well we could at least gravsurvey it. Batavia looks like it could be surveyed even with the alien ships still in, much like K2.

Eratosthenes was blown up by planet V which is in the inner system. All survey points are located in the outer system, consisting only of gas giants. If enough care is taken to avoid the inner system, the survey should be relatively safe.

Or we can always try our luck with the brown dwarf system near Uwazi (UNTJS 13) or the other small systems.

===

EDIT: Oh and a funny thing... the Hakahaka chain doesn't need many gates because they've already been built all the way to Thebes and perhaps beyond. So if we want to dare coexisting with the Mind, we can always expand that way :)

That also means we can send warships into Thebes...

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 15, 2014

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Note for our shipbuilders: can someone please come up with a design for a civilian jump tender that would use the 36000 ton engine we got from Cornucopia? Or perhaps bgreman could do this directly in-game? Just take the jump engine we got from Cornucopia, throw in the 1HS passive sensors, both EM and thermal, and fill the rest of the hull space with engines and fuel tanks as appropriate. Thanks.

Once I have the blueprint, I think I can start retooling for the tender in the now free Samsung shipyard which has been building the Asimovs.

And since we have one spare huge shipyard - Sydney Shipworks, currently at about 88 000 tons - I'm thinking of building a class of resupply ships in it. It should carry fuel and maintenance supplies (civilians can carry maintenance supplies, right?). Anyone familiar with Aurora 5.4 wants to come up with a design? If it can be made in shipyards classed for Brunel - or the other way around - that would be amazing. Thank you!

Mitsubishi Commercial shipyard is to begin construction of a new slipway.
The shipyard is ready to produce a salvage vessel once we have finished a design of a salvage module.

=========

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 15, 2014

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

markus_cz posted:

Note for our shipbuilders: can someone please come up with a design for a civilian jump tender that would use the 36000 ton engine we got from Cornucopia? Or perhaps bgreman could do this directly in-game? Just take the jump engine we got from Cornucopia, throw in the 1HS passive sensors, both EM and thermal, and fill the rest of the hull space with engines and fuel tanks as appropriate. Thanks.

Once I have the blueprint, I think I can start retooling for the tender in the now free Samsung shipyard which has been building the Asimovs.

And since we have one spare huge shipyard - Sydney Shipworks, currently at about 88 000 tons - I'm thinking of building a class of resupply ships in it. It should carry fuel and maintenance supplies (civilians can carry maintenance supplies, right?). Anyone familiar with Aurora 5.4 wants to come up with a design? Thank you!

Mitsubishi Commercial shipyard is to begin construction of a new slipway.
The shipyard is ready to produce a salvage vessel once we have finished a design of a salvage module.

Both Praetor-class troop transport vessels are to relocate to the Callisto fleet base. I don't even know why we have been keeping them on Earth orbit.

=========

The jump tender was going to incorporate the salvage module. The Praetors are in Earth orbit because that's where the majority of our ground forces are, and also, they are under UNGF control. You can easily build a supply and fuel tanker at way less than 88000 tons, you could probably build one to use the Lyell self-jump drive. For example:

code:
Tanker class Fleet Support Vessel    7,000 tons     233 Crew     363.4 BP      TCS 140  TH 300  EM 0
2142 km/s    JR 1-25(C)     Armour 1-32     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 11     PPV 0
MSP 357    Max Repair 38 MSP

JC7K Commercial Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 7000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 1
Commercial Ion Engine (2)    Power 150    Fuel Use 9%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 550,000 Litres    Range 1570.8 billion km   (8487 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
And the proposed salvage/tender

code:
Drake class Salvager    36,000 tons     574 Crew     914.2 BP      TCS 720  TH 1050  EM 0
1458 km/s    JR 2-25(C)     Armour 1-97     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 16    Max Repair 256 MSP
Salvager: 1 module(s) capable of salvaging 500 tons per day

JC36K Commercial Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 36000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
Ion Engine E1 (7)    Power 150    Fuel Use 10%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 150,000 Litres    Range 75.0 billion km   (595 days at full power)

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

You never cease to be helpful, Gnooble. Didn't know troop transports are under UNGF, deleted the order.

I didn't notice the Drake was both a tender and a salvager, that's neat. I suppose I'll be retooling both Samsung and Mitsubishi to it, for a nice total of 3 slipways.

I didn't intent to use all 88000 tons for a tanker, that's too huge. I was just mentioning that we have a huge civilian shipyard and nothing to do with it. Seems like a waste to use our largest shipyard to produce our smallest civilian ships :) If there are other suggestions, I'd appretiate them. I guess I could always retool it for Brunel or Drake and then build freighters in it.

EDIT: Oh and Panner is UNIN's? I noticed it sitting idly on top of the Sol-Roanoke jump point. Maybe call it back to Callisto? Or to the K2 jump point?

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 15, 2014

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

markus_cz posted:

You never cease to be helpful, Gnooble. Didn't know troop transports are under UNGF, deleted the order.

I didn't notice the Drake was both a tender and a salvager, that's neat. I suppose I'll be retooling both Samsung and Mitsubishi to it, for a nice total of 3 slipways.

I didn't intent to use all 88000 tons for a tanker, that's too huge. I was just mentioning that we have a huge civilian shipyard and nothing to do with it. Seems like a waste to use our largest shipyard to produce our smallest civilian ships :) If there are other suggestions, I'd appretiate them. I guess I could always retool it for Brunel or Drake and then build freighters in it.

EDIT: Oh and Panner is UNIN's? I noticed it sitting idly on top of the Sol-Roanoke jump point. Maybe call it back to Callisto? Or to the K2 jump point?

Thanks for the Panner reminder. Most of the time when I end up with a giant shipyard, I turn out giant civilian ships. For example the dual tooled Colony/Freighter set for civilian and gated system use:

code:
Genesis class Colony Ship    70,700 tons     637 Crew     2847.4 BP      TCS 1414  TH 2250  EM 0
1591 km/s     Armour 1-152     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 25    Max Repair 38 MSP
Colonists 200000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 10    

Commercial Ion Engine (15)    Power 150    Fuel Use 9%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 200,000 Litres    Range 56.6 billion km   (411 days at full power)

Atlas class Superfreighter    70,650 tons     482 Crew     932.4 BP      TCS 1413  TH 2250  EM 0
1592 km/s     Armour 1-152     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 8    Max Repair 38 MSP
Cargo 50000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 10    

Commercial Ion Engine (15)    Power 150    Fuel Use 9%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 200,000 Litres    Range 56.6 billion km   (411 days at full power)

To: UNS Panner
Re: Return to Callisto

UNS Panner recalled to Callisto.

To: EMISSARY SURVEY
Re: K2

With the extremely disappointing result of the Klondike-Kagayan survey, you are recalled to Callisto for brief shore leave and overhaul in preparation for resumption of Uwazi survey. UNS Alfred Nobel will remain to comm relay the system until gate completion. All grav survey data to be forwarded to UNSA for thorough examination.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I presume that the secondary star in K2 won't have its own jump point possibilities, since they're a single "system" in Aurora?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Akratic Method posted:

I presume that the secondary star in K2 won't have its own jump point possibilities, since they're a single "system" in Aurora?

They don't, unless that got changed in the last version.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Akratic Method posted:

Correct. Each system has only 30 survey locations, located around the primary star. There is the possibility of a "dormant" jump point, that can only be opened from the other side, but that is also at RNG mercy and with our luck, basically impossible.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Well that's a lovely but predictable development.

UNCAO pushes for a Batavia expedition.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Before I start playing with ship designs... does anyone keep a copy of Aurora with duplicated ship components and research as in our game? If yet, could you share it please? That would save so much time if I hadn't to replicate it myself.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

markus_cz posted:

I'm already building one of those, you realize. It will be a little bit before that shipyard is ready as it is currently rented out, but it might make more sense to just buy one from me. Due to the inclusion of the jump engine it's basically impossible to double-tool these ships with something that's actually useful.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
When im playing a game and hit this many RNG bad rolls i usually re-load or turn the difficulty settings down one level. Of course i only ever play on very hard...

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

markus_cz posted:

Before I start playing with ship designs... does anyone keep a copy of Aurora with duplicated ship components and research as in our game? If yet, could you share it please? That would save so much time if I hadn't to replicate it myself.

I have one I can share, I dunno where aurora keeps its save files though.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Saros posted:

I have one I can share, I dunno where aurora keeps its save files though.

Aurora saves are kept right in the database, just zip your Aurora folder and you're good.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Can we assign a science/some other sort of team to Musgrove to research what the hell is going on with him? I know the K2 survey coming up blank sucks, but now that our dudes are on Callisto I'm really keen to figure out what happened and what Musgrove can still tell us. Also, I should have two diplomatic teams on Callisto now (minus Beef)? I'd like to use those once they've had their requisite leave (another update or two?) and been cleared by UNIN.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Samolety posted:

Can we assign a science/some other sort of team to Musgrove to research what the hell is going on with him? I know the K2 survey coming up blank sucks, but now that our dudes are on Callisto I'm really keen to figure out what happened and what Musgrove can still tell us. Also, I should have two diplomatic teams on Callisto now (minus Beef)? I'd like to use those once they've had their requisite leave (another update or two?) and been cleared by UNIN.

rekon you can wrangle a joint initiative in ZG? with K2 not being the Ace in the bolt hole we hoped it was we might rethink the articles of colonisation.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.

Kommando posted:

rekon you can wrangle a joint initiative in ZG? with K2 not being the Ace in the bolt hole we hoped it was we might rethink the articles of colonisation.

I could certainly try. The main issues I see are:
We don't have a lot to bargain with at the moment.
We should probably vote on proposing a treaty like that, since it would involve all branches of the UN.
If we try to open the Feds up to that idea, we'd be admitting that everything we have right now is garbage, which some might argue is not something we should be doing.

Essentially, I think we would need to vote on: If we want to try to snag parts of ZG or systems past ZG, and what we would offer in return.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
We should have proposed that back when we thought the feds were in a dead end as I proposed. Alas.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

markus_cz posted:

We only really need the Mitsubishi commercial retooled for the Drake. Honestly the Samsung and Sydney are at a bit of a loose end at the moment. If we had a use for them we could produce Divisional Transports (21 Batallions) but we have neither the ground forces, command tech or the need for ships like that. My suggestion would be two module Terraforming ships in the Sydney but it will be some time until we have the Terraforming module tech. I would at least order the Sydney to stop expanding because there's really no need for it to be bigger and Duranium is about to get extremely precious.

We could order the Samsung to add a second slip but I suspect that it would take over a year and there is only about 6 months left on the final Asimov build. Another option for the Samsung is a 36K Jump Tender/Tanker/Maintainence ship with a small cargo hold or perhaps a Jump capable troop transport, but again uses for it are somewhat limited without somebody to invade.

One thing to remember about the Drake is that it needs a cargo ship along with it. Due to the various constraints imposed by the 36k jump drive the best option at the moment is the Yorks.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I'm currently thinking of scrapping the Drake design and using two new ones instead. One of them would be a dedicated salvager (with more salvage modules), the other a tender/tanker/supply ship - that's a nice idea, Saros! These two would use Samsung and Mitsubishi. That leaves the huge Sydney free and I see two options - either build huge terraformers, or huge asteroid mining ships. The other is probably more useful to us at this point. Saros, if you could give me a time estimate when a module, either a terraforming or an asteroid mining one, could be ready, I'll decide what to do with the shipyard in the meantime and whether it makes sense to try adding a new slipway or retooling for Brunel.

Saros posted:

One thing to remember about the Drake is that it needs a cargo ship along with it. Due to the various constraints imposed by the 36k jump drive the best option at the moment is the Yorks.

Yeah, I know about this. The Yorks and Brunels are our only freighters that will be able to jump with the future tenders. Salvaging K2 is no problem, but for Roanoke where we don't have jump gates, the Yorks will serve with the salvager task force.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The problem is we need BOTH salvage and Tender capability Asap and we have only the single instant tooling available. It will probably take a year+ just for retooling an already tooled shipyard to either of those designs, in large part due to the Ion Drive upgrade.

I'm simply never going to research asteroid mining in the timeframes useful in this game. Automines are just better. As for terraforming I wouldn't look for it before 2038. The labs are booked solid getting the basic techs for the Project NIKE fleet update.

That reminds me: Jimmy4400Nav can we please have 14 P&W 15000C-E9 Ion Engine added to the build que for the Upcoming salvagers.The 2x Salvage mosule will also need to be ordered once the research is complete.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 17, 2014

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Diary of trainee Administrator Sloshmonger
Well, that's done.

After only a few years in training, I'm finally graduated and certified to lead a planet of my own. And being the forward-thinking genious I've always been, I'm one of the foremost experts in ship construction efficiency and recruitment facilitation.

Which will serve me nicely on whatever asteroid hellhole I'm assigned to.

Well, a job's a job. There are only three assignments worth anything, and all are occupied by people with a lot more seniority.

Then again, accidents happen all the time...

(OOC: only 18 months from my request to when i get dwarfed commandered. quicker than i thought it would be)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

sloshmonger posted:

Diary of trainee Administrator Sloshmonger
Well, that's done.

After only a few years in training, I'm finally graduated and certified to lead a planet of my own. And being the forward-thinking genious I've always been, I'm one of the foremost experts in ship construction efficiency and recruitment facilitation.

Which will serve me nicely on whatever asteroid hellhole I'm assigned to.

Well, a job's a job. There are only three assignments worth anything, and all are occupied by people with a lot more seniority.

Then again, accidents happen all the time...

(OOC: only 18 months from my request to when i get dwarfed commandered. quicker than i thought it would be)

Welcome Aboard.
With the advanced awarded by Uridium signalling and robotics from Syrian war drone tech enhanced by Belnar automata architecture and maintenance free gearing with Duranium alloys, physically administering automated colonies is unnecessary.

Enjoy your third floor office in UNCAO Washington.
You can work from home if you like for now.

Look at how far we've come in a decade. When we start hollowing out asteroids and turning them into shipyards you'll be foremost in mind.

For now. Please look over these population charts and workforce projections. There's an interesting white paper on a Batavia colony using aerostats, check it out on Google Scholar.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Task Group EMISSARY SURVEY: Deep Space, Klondike-Kagayan, 13th February 2037

1st Fleet orders the survey vessels in K2 to return to Sol. Rather than a direct course to the Sol JP, the task group will skirt the inner system, increasing their time en route to nearly a month.

Task Group WATCHTOWER: Roanoke-Hakahaka JP, Roanoke, 14th February 2037

The collier UNS Pearl Harbor arrives on station near the WATCHTOWER task group. Pearl Harbor is carrying 75 SSM-11A "Eagle" anti-ship missiles for the Cape Town-B destroyers in WATCHTOWER.

Earth: UNSA Research Facility Guildford, 15th February 2037

Dr. Rotekian completes his prototype testing of Denel's new SSM-13A "Harrier" anti-ship missile. After receiving his results, UNIN places an order for over six hundred of the powerful new weapons.

Meanwhile, Rotekian begins work on the final phase of Project SPRINTER: an update to Denel's SSM-11A "Eagle" missile platform. He estimates that it will be less than a fortnight before Eagle-Bs are ready for production.

Callisto: UNFI HQ, Ragnarok, 17th February 2037

To: UNEC
Re: Federation Shipbuilding

Sirs, the Federation has launched an eighth Irkutsk- (FED: Vishnu)-class destroyer. Unlike prior launches of this class, this vessel is remaining near the Federation shipyard complexes at idle power.

Earth: Dallas, Texas, 21st February 2037

Wealthy American shipping magnate Sean Griffin announces that he will be expanding his terrestrial shipping empire into the void sector with the launch of Griffin Container Line. Analysts welcome the development, as the Federation has long held a wide lead in void shipping operations.

Elsewhere, UNIN welcomes a new officer to its flag ranks as CMDR wisemanofhyrule is promoted from lieutenant. Well-versed in current UN diplomatic matter, the commander is initially assigned to complete the shakedown assessment of Lyell. BuPers takes the opportunity to create another captaincy, promiting CMDR busb, CO of UNS Samar to the position.

To: UNEC
Re: Federation Ship Movements

Sirs, the lone Nanuchka-class vessel at Mars is making to return to Earth at 3000 kps. She should arrive within 35 hours.

Officer Attribute Increases
  • CAPT serelon - Fleet Movement Initiative Rating: 266 -> 285 (+19), 19th February 2037
  • Administrator Jihad Joe Colonial Administration Rating 3 -> 4, 19th February 2037

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I just noticed that I've been relieved of command of the Delphi and sent back to the minor leagues a Dragon's Teeth station. Why did this happen?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

FredMSloniker posted:

I just noticed that I've been relieved of command of the Delphi and sent back to the minor leagues a Dragon's Teeth station. Why did this happen?

People were promoted and adjustments needed to be made. This is almost always the case when an assignment change happens outside the normal tour of duty.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

bgreman posted:

Earth: Dallas, Texas, 21st February 2037

Wealthy American shipping magnate Sean Griffin announces that he will be expanding his terrestrial shipping empire into the void sector with the launch of Griffin Container Line. Analysts welcome the development, as the Federation has long held a wide lead in void shipping operations.

:woop:FINALLY! Now it'll just take us a few years to close that shipping gap.

Saros posted:

That reminds me: Jimmy4400Nav can we please have 14 P&W 15000C-E9 Ion Engine added to the build que for the Upcoming salvagers.The 2x Salvage mosule will also need to be ordered once the research is complete.

Please add the 14 P&W 15000C-E9 Ion Engines to the end of the build queue.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

To: UNIN
Re: UNFRAD Diplomatic Teams

UNIN, please approve or deny the release of UNFRAD operatives currently on Callisto, TACT and the ISIS Expedition.
If release is approved, arrange transport for the former ISIS expedition to be sent to Earth, and arrange for TACT to be sent back to 2 Pallas.

bgreman
Please send TACT to 2 Pallas in the way which is most convenient for you using in-game methods, they are to re-establish their embassy there.
Please send ISIS back to Earth and dissolve the current team. Then form a new diplomatic team consisting of:
CAPT Readingaccount
CMDR mods rear end
COL Nakatoni Tamiko
CMDR wjs5
CMDR Deranged Imp
CMDR wisemanofhyrule
(Unless any of them actually have important jobs, I'm bad at the actual game so I don't know what's important)
And send them to the CLC with orders to work with CLC leadership and attempt to diplomatically sway the CLC to join the UN.

To: UNIN, UNSA
Re: CDRE Musgrove

Gentlemen, the status of Commodore Musgrove both intrigues and worries me. We have received no update on his condition since he arrived on Callisto. I wonder if UNSA could arrange for a research team to be sent to Callisto and attempt to discover the cause of the commodore's condition, on UNIN's authorization, of course.

Finally, for all of UNEC, should we attempt to gain access to Zhongguo through diplomatic means? My current feeling is that we do not have anything to bargain with. I would prefer we finish LABYRINTH and then re-evaluate our position. We may find something in K2 that gives us a bargaining chip to trade to the Federation for access to ZG. However, if the rest of UNEC feels that this is something we should proceed with immediately, I can act accordingly.

Samolety fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 24, 2014

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

We need to establish whether we will be colonising the Roanoke chain (namely Batavia) or not, since colonisation would mean gating the Roanoke-Sol jump point and thus theoretically connecting us to the Mind. We can either gate the point without telling the Federation or we can tell them... and presumably they won't agree with it. This is our bargaining chip - either they let us gate Roanoke-Sol or they let us into Zhongguo.

Personally, I'd prefer going into Roanoke and Batavia. Not sure whether we should tell Federation or not.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Friendly reminder: now is the time to cut GCL a subsidy to kick start its growth, if you are of a mind to do that.

Samolety posted:

To: UNFRAD Logistics
On Earth arrival, place CMDR wisemanofhyrule on the former ISIS expedition to replace CAPT Beef, then transport the team to the CLC with orders to establish a diplomatic office there. The team's standing orders will be to court the CLC and attempt to influence them toward the UN.

On arrival at 2 Pallas, the team formerly known as TACT should resume their pre-contact duties of maintaining diplomatic relations (of the above-the-desk variety) with the RoC.
Serious question: Are you establishing an embassy on Pallas?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 23, 2014

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Friendly reminder: now is the time to cut GCL a subsidy to kick start its growth, if you are of a mind to do that.

Serious question: Are you establishing an embassy on Pallas?

Yes. We had one before, didn't we? I thought TACT was pulled off of Pallas to go talk to aliens, and I intended to send them back to Pallas to resume the old job. If that's not the case and more discussion is necessary, I can put a hold on that order.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The UN has never had an official embassy with the RoC, no. The TACT team was pieced together from other officers, to my understanding. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Coolguye posted:

The UN has never had an official embassy with the RoC, no. The TACT team was pieced together from other officers, to my understanding. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

The UN briefly had a Cornucopian Embassy - quickly closed when we encountered the K2 Aliens and moved them as a contact team.

To: TACT, ISIS, UNFRAD
Re: Diplomatic Needs

All officers with diplomatic standing are henceforth released to their UNFRAD responsibilities, civilian courier and standard passenger transport is available. (Dissolve the teams, Samolety can then reform diplomacy teams on 2 Pallas or Earth as he sees fit.)

UNEC Business

UNIEB/Jimmy4400nav I am strongly in favor of subsidizing our shipping lines, it will boost their production of our new ion designs and give Griffin a solid start. 10bn each should be reasonable.

UNFRAD/UNRL We have no legal basis or true need to ask the Federation for space in Zhongguo yet, K2 may still yield valuable mineral or technological finds, and we have a route to further colonization via Roanoke and Uwazi. In my opinion, we should gate Roanoke-Sol, without a gate we won't be able to ever conduct any sort of major operations in regard to the MIND, and opening Hakahaka-Roanoke didn't result in any trans-dimensional horrors spilling out into our psyche.

Gnooble fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 23, 2014

• Locked thread