Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
markus_cz
May 10, 2009

One more order. Thanks to Saros for the blueprint.

Ladies and gentlemen, the United Nations Department of Resources and Logictics is proud to present you a brand new class of commercial ships. The Limerck class is a commercial jump tender and a large tanker, a combination that makes is ideal for supporting our exploration & colonisation efforts or even fleet operations. Limericks will be expected to sit on jump points and serve as jump tenders and refueling stations. They will be the first dedicated tanker produced by the UN.

UNRL is currently producing the Drake-class salvage/jump tender. However, the Drake line will only consist of two ships, upon which UNRL will go on producing Limericks instead and a dedicated non-tender salvage vessel.

code:
Limerick class Jump Tender    36,000 tons     628 Crew     1222.2 BP      TCS 720  TH 2100  EM 0
2916 km/s    JR 2-25(C)     Armour 1-97     Shields 0-0     Sensors 5/6/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 21    Max Repair 256 MSP

JC36K Commercial Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 36000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
P&W 15000C-E9 Ion Engine (14)    Power 150    Fuel Use 9%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 1,300,000 Litres    Range 722.1 billion km   (2865 days at full power)

"Mini" Backup Sensor (1)     GPS 30     Range 360k km    Resolution 25
UN/STY-20 "Phobos" TDA (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5m km
UN/SEY-21 "Deimos EMDA (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  6m km
Samsung Shipbuilding Void Yard is to begin retooling for the Limerick class.

UNRL is now accepting suggestions for names of other ships in the class.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenorefe
Oct 7, 2014
Well It being Limerick Class, cities of Ireland sounds appropriate. Of the whole island not just from the country of Ireland.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vkDHMIwEF5-xDjVnvfrwl84VuB6aI8LyiTclzYwzLuQ/edit#gid=0 ------------The official UN naming things spreadsheet.

Added the Limerick to the naming list.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Or we could give each a line of a limerick.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

The naming scheme should be "There once was a ENTER WORD HERE"

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Limerck or Limerick?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The Queen of Perpetual Indulgence.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Newish map - from 28th March. Seems like half of our navy is in overhaul.

Some random tidbits:

- Wee need to distinguish between the old and new Nanuckhkas. I've taken the liberty to call the new model Nanuchka 37 but someone should probably give it a proper name.
- Gnooble, there is (or at least was in March) a lone Endymion still in K2 - the one that was keeping an eye on the Hoplites while we were surveying the system. Have you left it there deliberately? Just checking.
- bgreman, your report says that there is a single planet orbiting FED 003 B, but the Raw viewer says it's orbiting FED 003 C instead. What is correct?

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

markus_cz posted:

- Wee need to distinguish between the old and new Nanuckhkas. I've taken the liberty to call the new model Nanuchka 37 but someone should probably give it a proper name.
- Gnooble, there is (or at least was in March) a lone Endymion still in K2 - the one that was keeping an eye on the Hoplites while we were surveying the system. Have you left it there deliberately? Just checking.

Thanks for the map, always appreciated.

UNIN Intelligence makes Nanuchka 37 official, and in addition assigns the reporting name Peltast to alien ship class Tuvalu, and Myrmidon to alien ship class Bahrain, both located in the Batavia system and displaying similar signatures as the Hoplites in Klondike-Kagayan.

UNS Aristarchus is currently on station keeping tabs on MINOTAUR (Hoplites) in preparation for LABYRINTH to ensure they do not depart or receive reinforcements.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

UN-IRCSPAN

Tonights update on the discussion points raised:

• Research pathways. UNEC discusses research options after the completion of Project NIKE, high on the list are Shipborne Terraformers, Colony Infrastructure Cost Reduction, and Flag Bridges.
  • UNIN Gnooble talked about his plans for Task Force Command ships
  • Garden Day discussion and plans for the Luna Rush. How to provide jobs for the anticipated booming population once the Lunar atmosphere is breathable. Options include moving research labs to luna, construction facilities and maintenance factories. Mines, as always, are guaranteed.
  • Improved Security plans for ground forces. Garrisons.
  • "Spare Parts Warehouses" on Jump Tenders
  • Speculation on Post-Garden day joint-projects with Cornucopia. Trade and Research deals for Civilian Economy expansion.
  • Something about Mind Mapping and jump point networks.

And here is some live feed:

quote:

<Komm|work> A blind Jump Point
<Komm|work> Connected to FED003
<LordNagash> connected directly to the end of a federation missile silo
<Jimmy4400nav> WHAT A TWIST!
<Komm|work> Connected to a Stargate in Antarctica
<LordNagash> hey stargates would be really useful, poo poo is far away in coldest war
<Phantom_Spaceman> that show was the best guilty pleasure
<Komm|work> along with Xfiles
<LordNagash> I love stargate
<Phantom_Spaceman> xfiles was a hair higher concept
<Jimmy4400nav> Loved Atlantis the best of the three Stargates
<LordNagash> I loved how internally consistent it was
<LordNagash> like they updated security procedures based on poo poo that happened in prior episodes
<Phantom_Spaceman> show struck a good balance in not taking its self too seriously
<Phantom_Spaceman> too
<Jimmy4400nav> Yeah, that reminds me, I gotta get back to writing that stargate fanfic I was working on with another guy
<Phantom_Spaceman> though it kind of dropped off when they brought on the whole cast of farscape :/
<Jimmy4400nav> ...one of these days
<Jimmy4400nav> Ah Farscape, another awesome guilty pleasure
<LordNagash> not the whole cast!
<LordNagash> just.. half of it
<Phantom_Spaceman> though b5 is king of my heart when it comes to 90's sci-fi
<Jimmy4400nav> I still need to watch B5, I try and then I get bogged down as I watch the first season
<Phantom_Spaceman> first season is a bit of a drag
<Phantom_Spaceman> its better on a rewatch since you notice they're setting up a bunch of stuff you didnt really notice the first time arround
<Phantom_Spaceman> if its too much of a drag I'd say skip it
<Jimmy4400nav> If I skip season one, will I miss a lot
<Phantom_Spaceman> you'll miss some but its better than not watching the show at all
<Phantom_Spaceman> if you can though I'd watch it
<Jimmy4400nav> Good to know then, I might take up trying to watch it again this winer break. That long pilot movie always zapps me though
<Phantom_Spaceman> you can skip the pilot

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kommando posted:

UN-IRCSPAN

This is a good service for the thread. Just wanted to put that out there.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Indeed, great work!

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Kommando posted:

UN-IRCSPAN

• Research pathways. UNEC discusses research options after the completion of Project NIKE, high on the list are Shipborne Terraformers, Colony Infrastructure Cost Reduction, and Flag Bridges.
  • UNIN Gnooble talked about his plans for Task Force Command ships
  • Garden Day discussion and plans for the Luna Rush. How to provide jobs for the anticipated booming population once the Lunar atmosphere is breathable. Options include moving research labs to luna, construction facilities and maintenance factories. Mines, as always, are guaranteed.
  • Improved Security plans for ground forces. Garrisons.
  • "Spare Parts Warehouses" on Jump Tenders
  • Speculation on Post-Garden day joint-projects with Cornucopia. Trade and Research deals for Civilian Economy expansion.
  • Something about Mind Mapping and jump point networks.

This makes me happy, thanks.

I wanted to make a "spare parts" jump tender but Saros advised me that it's only possible with military tenders. Commercial ones can't carry maintenance supplies.

And I have one question: Are there any plans for a naval jump tender? It would be nice to have the capacity to attack outside our jump network and clear systems like Batavia in advance before our freighter rush. Just building the gates to Batavia will take 3 years.

AMARDA
Mar 30, 2014
How big would we need a naval jump tender? Do we want to try for some level of future proofing and build it larger then we need to, or do we just build to our current fleet?

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

markus_cz posted:

This makes me happy, thanks.

I wanted to make a "spare parts" jump tender but Saros advised me that it's only possible with military tenders. Commercial ones can't carry maintenance supplies.

And I have one question: Are there any plans for a naval jump tender? It would be nice to have the capacity to attack outside our jump network and clear systems like Batavia in advance before our freighter rush. Just building the gates to Batavia will take 3 years.

Engineering Spaces hold MSP, so you can dump a bunch of them on a commercial ship to carry MSP, it is expensive though.

Naval Jump Tenders - yes, for destroyer sized vessels, a cruiser sized jump tender might be a possibility for the far future when we have more than one cruiser yard.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

You only get a fraction of the MSP using EBays on a civ ship that you do on Military ships. Its not practical to make a civ MSP tender.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Happy Holidays United Nations! (and Figureheads/Drunken Elected Officials of our favorite cutthroat merchant asteroid)

For those who are unaware, RedTonic has been undergoing a massive effort to expand and update the LP wiki with information and references back to the thread.

Therefore, in recognition of his efforts, COL RedTonic is awarded the United Nations Conspicuous Service Award for his work expanding, maintaining, and collecting reference material for the United Nations Central Archives.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

UNIEB officially requisitions for the holidays:

10% Production to making 50 units to eggnog
30% production to making 500 units of fruitcake
25% production to make 750 units of cookies
35% production to make toys for 1.7 billion children around the world.

UNN

McMurdo City

Researchers at Lockheed Martins McMurdo offices today has unveiled the newest TNE arctic combat vehicle, the S1-38H. Armed with twin rail-rotary guns and six short range meson cannons, this vehicle is mostly a holdover from Unite Nation's R&D development contracts that were farmed out in the early days of the organization before the discovery of Trans-Newtonian Elements. With the global oil crises of the early 20's, many saw the Arctic and Antarctic reserves as some of the last possible holdings on Earth, and both the UN and Federation prepared for what was believed to be the next area of conflict. While TNE's made these developments largely unnecessary Lockheed wanted to use the opportunity to test possible applications for making high-speed, extreme cold-resistant terrestrial vehicles for the UN's future colonies on Callisto and beyond.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Merry Christmas coldest warriors.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Gnooble posted:

Happy Holidays United Nations! (and Figureheads/Drunken Elected Officials of our favorite cutthroat merchant asteroid)

For those who are unaware, RedTonic has been undergoing a massive effort to expand and update the LP wiki with information and references back to the thread.

Therefore, in recognition of his efforts, COL RedTonic is awarded the United Nations Conspicuous Service Award for his work expanding, maintaining, and collecting reference material for the United Nations Central Archives.

Aw, thanks! It's been a good project for slow periods at work. I'll be back at it soon.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
THE FUTURE IS NOW, GUYS!

Want to live on another world? There's plenty of space for you all.

Perhaps you want to explore that final frontier yourself?

Or do you chafe under the conflict of two great powers and want to get away from it all?

The choices are yours my friends!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
These are all great and the Cornucopia poster made me laugh.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Those are some amazing posters, kudos!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I know where Col. RedTonic is retiring. :colbert:

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

ultrabindu, those posters are great, you get the fluff medal! Please do more!

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

ultrabindu posted:

THE FUTURE IS NOW, GUYS!

Want to live on another world? There's plenty of space for you all.

Perhaps you want to explore that final frontier yourself?

Or do you chafe under the conflict of two great powers and want to get away from it all?

The choices are yours my friends!

:swoon:

Apologies for the lack of updates, I've been out of town and holidaying it up round these parts, and also trying to eat into my Steam backlog a little bit (finally, finally, after fifteen years, beat FF7).

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Hot drat, those posters are amazing! Great work ultrabindu!

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

They really are wonderful!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

So where is the UNFI recruitment poster, hmm? :colbert:

In all seriousness though, those posters are absolutely incredible (and the Corny one is hilarious).

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks everyone.

Dr. Snark posted:

So where is the UNFI recruitment poster, hmm? :colbert:

Well I had an idea for one but I couldn't find the logo for UNFI in the thread, I gave up after trawling the first 100 odd pages. Actually it would be handy if I could get all the UNEC logos as vectors (EPS files) or a high res PNG. I don't suppose anyone could point me in the right direction for these?

Gnooble posted:

Please do more!

Sure thing!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ultrabindu posted:

Actually it would be handy if I could get all the UNEC logos as vectors (EPS files) or a high res PNG. I don't suppose anyone could point me in the right direction for these?

That really would be great. If the files could be included in the associated wiki articles, then it would be cool and a handy reference.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Oh wow, those are amazing!

thank you.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

RedTonic posted:

Unrelated to current proceedings, bgreman, were there ever further developments with regards to Ambassador Aloyoshenka Kulikov, who came down with leukemia (supposedly)?

The game has random events that remove officers, and this was my fluff for one of them.

markus_cz posted:

bgreman, your report says that there is a single planet orbiting FED 003 B, but the Raw viewer says it's orbiting FED 003 C instead. What is correct?

The planet is definitely around the B component. There may be a bug in the report generator, or in the way that bodies are internally named in the DB. I'll have to look into it.

Earth: Low Earth Orbit, 5th April 2037

Oceania Aerospace announces that it has completed operations to convert its void naval construction yard to production of Carl Sagan-class gravitational survey vessels. Work immediately begins on the first three vessels, Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, and Gerard Kuiper. BuShips estimates they will be completed in mid-to-late July. The shipyard, meanwhile, resumes capacity expansion upgrades.

Elsewhere, the Republic of Cornucopia delivers its second Lyell-class gravitational survey ship to the UN. The RoC's BVAE shipyard begins work on a third Lyell, to be completed within two months.

Finally, Samsung Shipbuilding begins a long-term project to convert operations of its commercial void shipyard to production of Limerick-class commercial jump tenders. Samsung hopes that its fleet of jump point fuel depots and jump tenders will allow it to collect significant jump service revenues once extrasolar development moves into an accelerated phase. The retooling effort will not be completed until August of 2039, however, meaning Samsung Shipbuilding must continue to rely on its UN defense contracts for the forseeable future.

Earth: Low Earth Orbit, 7th April 2037

The first three Cape Town-L refits are completed at Volvo-Saab's orbital shipbuilding complex. Boston, Kharkiv, and Tartu are the UN's first shield-equipped warships, a crucial element in UNIN's defense plan against potential Mind aggression. The shield generator is based upon a Federation design acquired in the leadup to the Battle of Mars.

The three vessels form up with the UN's collier task group for a trip to Callisto with another load of the UN's next-generation ion ordnance. Meanwhile, two more Cape Town-Bs enter the shipyard to be refit to the shield Cape Town-L variant.

Shields

Shield generators provide additional damage protection for ships. They produce a number of shield points (dependent on Shield Type tech level), which are damaged first when damage is allocated. Thus, if your shield strength is higher than the incoming damage, none of it leaks through. The shield strength is then depleted by the amount of incoming damage. Shield generators have a fixed size of one hull space (50 tons), but you can stack as many as you want to achieve the desired shield strength.

Shield generators have a recharge value that is based on their Shield Regeneration Rate tech level. This recharge value is in shield strength points per 5 seconds. The total time to recharge is based upon both Shield Type (which increases the total time with more advanced techs due to providing more shield strength points) and Shield Regeneration Rate (which decreases the total time with more advanced techs due to improving the recharge rate).

Early shields are very weak. The shield generator fitted to the
Cape Town-L, the Siemens VED Alpha R300/10 Shield Generator, produces only a single shield strength point per generator. This single point takes 300 seconds (5 minutes) to recharge.

While operating, shields consume fuel. I don't know why the decision was made to have (most) beam weapons run off of power plant power but shields to run on fuel, but I wish it were more consistent. Shield fuel consumption is based on Shield Type technology, with higher tech shield generators requiring more fuel per day. This rate is then reduced by the generator's fuel efficiency technology (yes, the same one from the propulsion tech line). The base rate for an Alpha (tech level 1) shield is 10 liters of ReSor per day. When most actions are over in minutes, the fuel cost is essentially negligible. It may factor into protracted anti-Mind pickets, however.

Elsewhere, Pratt and Whitney completes an order of commercial ion engines for the UN. This had been a large procurement, tying up nearly a third of the UN's discretionary budget. Combined with resources freed up by the completion of the massive ordnance infrastructure expansion lobbied for by UNIN, nearly 80% of state funding is available for new proposals, and they are not long in coming.

UNRL presses hard for renewed funding for mining expansion, both on Earth and offworld, and is rewarded with increased resources for consolidating mining infrastructure into TNE extraction mode and increased automation of existing facilities.

With heavy backing from United States representatives within the United Nations, the General Assembly authorizes a contract with the United Launch Alliance to build and operate two new void naval shipbuilding complexes. One will be operated by SpaceX-Boeing Space Systems, and one will be operated by Lockheed-Martin.

UNAS Arthur C. Clarke: Sol-Zhongguo Jump Point, 7th April 2037, 22:16 UNT

CMDR Critic of the Dawn sends word back to 1st Fleet HQ that after ten months, the Zhongguo jump point has been stabilized. The commander adds that Federation Naval Engineers are already installing cross-jump communications equipment similar to the prototype equipment operated by the UN at the Roanoke-Hakahaka gate and the Sol-K2 gate. This effectively puts Shenzhou within realtime communications range of Earth.

On Earth, a large celebration is held to commemorate the event...

Officer Attribute Increases
  • CMDR Baloogan - Crew Training Rating: 75 -> 100 (+25), 7th April 2037

Civilian Construction
  • Beedi Transport and Trading
    • Udaloy 31-class freighter, 7th April 2037

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Oh man I have spent the last few days sick as a dog so I havent checked the thread. Those posters own bones, and I love the RoC one. Have you been contacted by our Propoganda Department?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
With the installation of shields, we've officially surpassed the first Enterprise in terms of defensive technology.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

ultrabindu posted:

Well I had an idea for one but I couldn't find the logo for UNFI in the thread, I gave up after trawling the first 100 odd pages. Actually it would be handy if I could get all the UNEC logos as vectors (EPS files) or a high res PNG. I don't suppose anyone could point me in the right direction for these?

These are the banners we've been using throughout the thread for each organization:

And if you want to do some ship-based artwork, here's some visuals from some posts earlier on in the thread:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

There are definitely a few more than that. My personal favourite being UNS Samar - the derpiest spaceship.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
To UNEC
From Cmdr Affi
Re ETI

The way I see it is that sooner or later the people will find out about the Mind. (K2 sentinels can probably be kept under wraps?)

Either it leaks, we tell them, the Fred tell them or we make a joint pubic announcement.

I believe you are all highly intelligent individuals who can spot the pros and cons to these scenarios (and typing on a tablet sucks) but this needs to be brought up for another round of consideration.

Finally back, dropped out sometime around the mars crisis, interesting things have been going down. I think I am a ground forces commander?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

bgreman posted:

Civilian Construction
  • Beedi Transport and Trading
    • Udaloy 31-class freighter, 7th April 2037

Coolguye posted:

Have you been contacted by our Propoganda Department?

Is there a job going? What's the salary?

Zeroisanumber posted:

With the installation of shields, we've officially surpassed the first Enterprise in terms of defensive technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Dr. Snark posted:

These are the banners we've been using throughout the thread for each organization:

Thanks!
I think I can make some reasonable approximations of most of these, but UNRL and UNFRAD are too complex to use at that quality. Is it possible to get in touch with the person that made them?

• Locked thread