Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

ultrabindu posted:

Is there a job going? What's the salary?

Those are excellent posters.

Here's the bigger version of the UNSA banner.

[e] quote for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
I took a dive into the archive and happened to land within 10 pages of where I needed to be. The full list of letterheads, as made by Koesj, is included below. (The UNEC letterheads were adjusted in his next post.)

And, since I'm at it:
The Cornucopia flag, by yours truly. Arbitrarily high resolution or original vector files available on request.

And the somewhat uninspired but BG-approved McKiernan logo, also by me.

United Nations Jupiter flag, again, vectors available on request.:

And while we're on the subject, now that we're proper interstellar I think the UN really needs a new flag, as opposed to a map of planet Earth.

Innocent_Bystander fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 2, 2015

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
You dont actually have any permanent colonies outside of Sol though.

Besides, youre supposed to wait several decades/centuries until the non terra aligned worlds form a power bloc and rebel against the sol centric central governing authority and the ensuing civil war destroys the first human empire, plunging mankind into 1000 years of darkness. Dont you read any pulp sci fi?

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Oh.
I do, which is why.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Innocent_Bystander posted:

United Nations Jupiter flag, again, vectors available on request.:

What death star I don't know what you are talking about.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Saros posted:

What death star I don't know what you are talking about.

Whatever do you mean? That's clearly a moon.

Innocent_Bystander posted:

I took a dive into the archive and happened to land within 10 pages of where I needed to be. The full list of letterheads, as made by Koesj, is included below. (The UNEC letterheads were adjusted in his next post.)

Fantastic, thanks.
Can you post whatever vectors you have? I'll post up what I have too. What's a kosher file host here?

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Oh.
You'll have to contact Koesj for the letterheads, but here's what I got.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Excellent thank you.

This contains all the UNEC logos except UNRL. It also has the Fed logo in it as well.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
April 7th, 2037

Tonight's top story, from Geneva:

A celebration ceremony was held this evening (Central European Time), for the opening of the Sol-Zhongguo jumpgate. While this is not the first of such gates opened by humanity, this gate represents nearly a full year of cooperation between the United Nations and the Federation. Arthur C. Clarke has been performing stabilization of the Sol-Zhongguo jump point since June of 2036. The ceremony was attended by the United Nations Executive Council and two members of the Federation Triumvirate: Vitse-Admiral Melnikov, and Prof. Babushkin. In the larger audience were delegates from the Republic of Cornucopia: Ms. Kala TildeATH and Coronel Victoria Elizondo, and delegations from several unaligned nations. Security was provided by elements of the UN 80th and 81st Mobile Infantry. While most of the security detail remained out of sight, a full honor guard was provided by the 81st to welcome the attending delegates. UN media representatives were joined by their Federation counterparts to record and televise the event.

The ceremony began with speeches by top UNEC officals. UNFRAD PM Samolety heralded the event as a symbol of the renewed relationship between the Federation and the UN, and stated that the hope that it would be "the first of many such events to come."

Mr. Samolety was followed by UNCAO PM Kommando, who focused on the continuing expansion of humanity into the stars, heralding the new gate as another step to humanity becoming "a true interstellar species."

UNIN PM Gnooble made a brief speech regarding the ongoing cooperation between UNIN and FEDCENTCOM in the exploration of the galaxy, "without which, this would not have been possible."

Federation Ambassador to the UN, Eduard Ignatov, spoke on behalf of the Federation, expressing the Federation's satisfaction with the recent UN-Federation cooperation, and his wish for this cooperation to continue to both nations' benefit.

The speaking was closed by Dr. Maya Ceballos, inventor of the Ceballos Stabilization Device, herself. She gave a brief speech about the role of science in bringing humanity together, toward a brighter future. While her speech was brief, it was powerful enough to gain a standing ovation from the room.

Following the speeches, the attendees viewed the final stabilization of the jump point through a real-time feed from Arthur C. Clarke. Upon the gate's completion, UNEC and the attending Triumvirate members opened bottles of champagne and toasted to progress and cooperation. During the celebration, each member of UNEC was photographed shaking hands with the Triumvirate attendees.

Critics of the UN administration have derided the ceremony as being a "pretentious attempt to win public relations brownie-points," while one noted anti-Federation activist referred to the event as "Another example of the slow capitulation of freedom, by weak-willed bureaucrats, to the forces of tyranny."

However, the overall reception of the event has been positive, with many members of the public expressing a renewed hope in a peaceful, positive future for the human race.

Cécile Laurent - UNBC News

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Samolety posted:

Tonight's top story, from Geneva:

Nice.

I know in the game there's no physical gate, but for the purposes of story telling are we assuming there's some kind of gate facility that the Clarke has built?

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe the use of "gate" is referring to the stabilized jump point.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Thanks for digging up all those lovely letterheads. I've uploaded them (both versions for each office) to the wiki and included them (the large only) in the appropriate pages (where I could find them, at least). I also added the Mars flag (though I think I might be wrong; the one I used might be Brotherhood rather than UN) and Jupiter flag. Were any other flags (Venus, Luna, etc.) ever decided upon? I'm having a little trouble locating flags.

fake e: love parentheses

real e: Thanks, Gnooble. I've made a little correction or two accordingly.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 5, 2015

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

To: UNEC
Subject: The worst-kept secret on campus.

I have only been here a few months, but the rumor mill is hard at work and it is all but obvious: the highest levels of UNIN are preparing for a major mobilization and it is not aimed at the Federation. The unexplained "radiation accidents" among our elite exploration corps, the unprecedented military cooperation between the UN and FEAN, the joint munitions factory project in Tranquility, our own crash expansion program in ordnance production, they all point to one thing: something is out there, and we are preparing to defend ourselves. It is even being remarked upon in the mainstream media.

It is my belief that allowing tinfoil "experts" to spread FUD unchecked on SpaceFoxNews does far more damage to the UN's credibility and operational security than an official release of knowledge, should any exist, on the UN's contact with active ETI. Rather than widespread fear and panic, I think such a release would generate overwhelming public support for the efforts of our naval and manufacturing sectors as we take another big step in to the future.

(And, with all due respect, we cannot claim to live in an open society if such a secret was kept for too long.)

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

RedTonic posted:

Thanks for digging up all those lovely letterheads. I've uploaded them (both versions for each office) to the wiki and included them (the large only) in the appropriate pages (where I could find them, at least). I also added the Mars flag (though I think I might be wrong; the one I used might be Brotherhood rather than UN) and Jupiter flag. Were any other flags (Venus, Luna, etc.) ever decided upon? I'm having a little trouble locating flags.

fake e: love parentheses

That is indeed the Brotherhood flag, as a seed/research colony, UN Mars never had an official flag.

Mr. Peepers posted:

To: UNEC
Subject: The worst-kept secret on campus.

I have only been here a few months, but the rumor mill is hard at work and it is all but obvious: the highest levels of UNIN are preparing for a major mobilization and it is not aimed at the Federation. The unexplained "radiation accidents" among our elite exploration corps, the unprecedented military cooperation between the UN and FEAN, the joint munitions factory project in Tranquility, our own crash expansion program in ordnance production, they all point to one thing: something is out there, and we are preparing to defend ourselves. It is even being remarked upon in the mainstream media.

It is my belief that allowing tinfoil "experts" to spread FUD unchecked on SpaceFoxNews does far more damage to the UN's credibility and operational security than an official release of knowledge, should any exist, on the UN's contact with active ETI. Rather than widespread fear and panic, I think such a release would generate overwhelming public support for the efforts of our naval and manufacturing sectors as we take another big step in to the future.

(And, with all due respect, we cannot claim to live in an open society if such a secret was kept for too long.)

To: Mr. Peepers
Cc: UNEC
Re: The worst-kept secret on campus.

The existence of the Belnar automatons and the alien minefield in Batavia give us ample evidence that this is indeed a dangerous universe. Both UNIN and FEDCENTCOM are dedicated to protecting and facilitating human expansion, and our fleets frequently undergo training exercises and drills that require large scale mobilization. The loss of UNS Klondike and UNS Kagayan was a sacrifice to the pursuit of knowledge that we will not forget, however we must refer any further comment on this matter to my colleagues in UNCAO, UNFRAD, and UNSA.

To: UNIN First Fleet Cape Town and Delphis
Re: Refit Schedule

Cape Refit Group 2 is now underway, CRG3 will consist of UNS Seville, UNS Portsmouth, and UNS Vancouver.

In addition, Delphi refits will be continuing with UNS Delphi and UNS Dodona. Upon DRG1 completion, both UNS Bassae and UNS Parnassus are being retasked to the Roanoke Task Force, and should depart at completion of refit to relieve UNS Didyma on station there.

To: UNS Mindoro, UNS Romblon, CDRE David Corbett
Re: New Orders

Commanders, you are ordered to depart Callisto for the Roanoke system at standard cruise. UNS Mindoro will relieve UNS Surigao and UNS Visayas with PIONEER, and UNS Romblon will relieve UNS Samar and UNS Bohol with WATCHTOWER. All relieved ships are to return to Callisto for overhaul. In addition, CDRE David Corbett is assigned to command of WATCHTOWER aboard UNS Cape Town, along with replacement crew.

Gnooble fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 5, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ultrabindu posted:

Is there a job going? What's the salary?

These are awesome. I've not been in this thread much for awhile but it's amazing and wonderful to see it still going. Everyone involved is magical :magical:

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Gnooble posted:

Commanders, you are ordered to depart Callisto for the Roanoke system at standard cruise. UNS Mindoro will relieve UNS Surigao and UNS Visayas with PIONEER, and UNS Romblon will relieve UNS Samar and UNS Bohol with WATCHTOWER. All relieved ships are to return to Callisto for overhaul. In addition, CDRE David Corbett is assigned to command of WATCHTOWER aboard UNS Cape Town, along with replacement crew.

Question, will the UNS Capetown/other Watchtower ships be rotated back for rest and refit before Labyrinth in order to take part in the engagement or will they be stuck out there until after Lab? I ask for the purely selfish reason that my Goon is CO of Capetown and I'd quite like to get a medal for taking part in clearing K2... and, y'know helping advance the UNs and humanities reach across the stars. But mostly the medal.

BwenGun fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 5, 2015

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

BwenGun posted:

Question, will the UNS Capetown/other Watchtower ships be rotated back for rest and refit before Labyrinth in order to take part in the engagement or will they be stuck out there until after Lab? I ask for the purely selfish reason that my Goon is CO of Capetown and I'd quite like to get a medal for taking part in clearing K2... and, y'know helping advance the UNs and humanities reach across the stars. But mostly the medal.

WATCHTOWER will almost certainly not be brought back to take part in LABYRINTH, the K2 Campaign Ribbon (I've got Innocent_Bystander on the job there) will exist, but won't be worth a huge amount of PP, similar to the other campaign ribbons we've given out. Yet never fear, by coincidence, I chose your ship for Commodore Corbett, so you will probably end up on a different ship back in Sol, please direct all bribes directly to BG that he assigns you to a combat ship on the list for LABYRINTH.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Awesome, I couldn't remember whether Commodores actually acted as captains as well as TF COs hence the question. As for the campaign ribbon, every little helps with my swift rise up the ranks, but mostly I want to be in on Labyrinth to have something interesting to do a write up for as my perspective on Watchtower has basically been months sat first in an unarmed ship and then months in an aged but armed ship, which doesn't make for much excitement or inspiration.

And BG... what's the going rate for a combat command these days?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

BwenGun posted:

Awesome, I couldn't remember whether Commodores actually acted as captains as well as TF COs hence the question. As for the campaign ribbon, every little helps with my swift rise up the ranks, but mostly I want to be in on Labyrinth to have something interesting to do a write up for as my perspective on Watchtower has basically been months sat first in an unarmed ship and then months in an aged but armed ship, which doesn't make for much excitement or inspiration.

And BG... what's the going rate for a combat command these days?

A new avatar/title goes a looooooooooooooooooooong way. ;)

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Guess I'll have to head down to the Corny space-docks to try and earn enough doing favours for sailors.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

bgreman posted:

A new avatar/title goes a looooooooooooooooooooong way. ;)

Wait, you don't like your current avatar? What would you want instead?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, you don't like your current avatar? What would you want instead?

I like it just fine, but I've also had it for going on two years now, I think. It was cool free advertising from my mysterious benefactor, but at this point I'm not sure it's bringing in any new goons anyway.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

bgreman posted:

I like it just fine, but I've also had it for going on two years now, I think. It was cool free advertising from my mysterious benefactor, but at this point I'm not sure it's bringing in any new goons anyway.

It brought me in, and that was just 6 months or so ago.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ooc question for UNEC:

Why the heck are you keeping the aliens under wrap? It will come back and bite you in the rear end. You know that right?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Have we ever made the K2 aliens public? We should probably announce those. Not the Mind, mind you, just the mindless drones.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Affi posted:

Ooc question for UNEC:

Why the heck are you keeping the aliens under wrap? It will come back and bite you in the rear end. You know that right?

how and why

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

markus_cz posted:

Have we ever made the K2 aliens public? We should probably announce those. Not the Mind, mind you, just the mindless drones.

Agreed, but only if it is a parody of Welles' "The War of the Worlds" radio broadcast.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I think its mostly inertia, I cant remember what exactly we have announced and nobody wants a repeat of the debacle that was the Mars crisis. Plus the Feds are compulsively secretive and don't want us spilling the beans.

It's definitely worth considering though.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Realistically we can't reveal it until the Feds agree to unless we want to throw a spanner in our current cooperation.

Also worth considering the fact that as soon as we reveal the Mind, before they've done things overtly and incontrovertibly hostile towards us, we'll have to start dealing with groups and movements demanding that we accept the Mind's offer, seek further negotiation, seek no further negotiation, evacuate Sol, freeze the human race and hide them on Pluto, and so on and so on.

If we do release the information it realistically needs to be done when a) the Feds agree to it and b) after a sufficient amount of groundwork has been done to muffle out the crazies with rational and clearly presented facts circulated widely across the globe.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Not the Mind. The K2 automatons. Since we've already encountered Belnar automatons, announcing these doesn't really make a difference. "Further study revealed that the loss of our two ships in the K2 system wasn't caused by anomalies but rather a small group of millenia old automated defense vessels. It is currently unknown which civilisation has left them, presumably the Belnar, but we cannot be sure until we study the craft themselves. UNIN will soon launch an operation to destroy these automated defense vessels, and has already taken precautions that should prevent further incidents with ancient ships in the future. A study of the K2 system will follow once the system is clear. Condolences to the families of the deceased etc. etc."

I think the original decision to keep it secret was because we wanted to keep the Federation in the dark. That point is obviously moot now.

Anyway, we might as well:

:siren: UNRL is calling an UNEC vote. Do we publicly announce the presence of the K2 aliens before operation LABYRINTH? :siren:

YES / NO.

Voting YES of course means that there will follow a period of discussion with the Federation and drafting the announcement. The vote doesn't mean "shall we do this immediately", the vote is supposed to establish our stance so that we can act accordingly.

Feel free to discuss for a couple of days before voting.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

markus_cz posted:

Not the Mind. The K2 automatons.

This is what happens when I post on limited sleep. Stupid brain. >.<

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
YES.

I know I don't have a vote, or a body anymore, or really anything, but I feel like I should at least have a say!

There are high schools that should be named after me!

Also, as my regular reminder, a ship class!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Yes, with the caveat that we tell the Feds what we're planning before we announce it. I'm a fan of detente with human powers because it increases the chance of dead xenos.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Why not do it after the operation?
Then we can say "There were scary robot aliens in K2, but the we teamed up with the Feds and kicked their asses. Go Earth!"
Also, do we want to reveal that we've lied about the cause of the loss of Klondike and Kagayan? Might be useful to say that we initially assumed it was because of the gamma rays (can't remember exactly what we said), but a joint exploratory expedition with the Federation revealed it may have been the robot aliens, who we promptly destroyed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Honestly, just do it after the operation.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Honestly, just do it after the operation.

We can do even better. Don't leave the populace any time to wonder what the powers that be are going to do about the aliens, and instead show them by making the successful operation the announcement. Take all the telemtetry we get from it, bring in some Spielbergs to convert that into something snappy and pump it right into the TVs (or whatever people use in mid 21st century) with some patriotic music. Spin it as the human race's firm retaliation against the existential threats of the Terrible Void, unanimously agreed upon after the UN and Fed discovered the true cause of the K2 deaths.

The discovery of proof of intelligent alien life in the cosmos, especially so "close" to Earth, is going to be the most important news event in the history of Man. You cannot soften this blow and to make plans assuming so is to invite disaster. The only option is to ride the storm and show the world that those who have been entrusted to lead humanity's adventure into the stars are capable of acting decisively and with strength.

Man just discovered another predator of his order, and the obvious human reaction will be Fear. Use K2 to break the news, let the dust settle into whatever political groups, fringe opinions, and general unrest it may, and then after some time you'll actually have some information to use in considering how the announcement of the Mind is going to go. To try to make that judgement right now is lethal hubris.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I think the original reason given for the loss was something like "interaction with highly accelerated particles" (lol).

Imagine our confusion when we discovered these particles were in fact part of an alien weapons system!

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 6, 2015

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

NO

We can reveal the K2 Aliens with their destruction. Also - the Federation has already been consulted, they've known since maybe a month after Klondike and Kagayan.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
And what happens when the federation beats you to the punch. Again. And uses the secrets to their benefit?

Both the mind and k2 aliens can be spun in ways to hurt the other party if you wanted to. Id elaborate but I'm still on vacation using only a tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
I can't wait for the protests from the Robots Have Rights groups.

• Locked thread