Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Speak of the devil, huh? Alright, let's see what drama Beef can stir up now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
So. Now we're officially able to be a stellar empire, right?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

That's just the power generation tech not the engines, we get that last from what I remember.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Although smaller more efficient reactors do make BEAM SHIPS more viable*...

*in other versions of Aurora

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

Saros posted:

That's just the power generation tech not the engines, we get that last from what I remember.

We get engines second to last, and you need to vote on the treaty.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh I thought I had, it looks good to me so UNSA votes yes.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I also thought we said yes. So yes.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
We tentatively approved, but never had a formal vote on wording of the treaty. Since that has been an issue in the past, we try to make it formal.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Blarghl Death to Cornucopiaaliens. Arghl

Nice to see this running again.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Since I kind of liked the tiny fluff bits I'd written for each one, I went back and collected all the retired shipping line vessels and their fates.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

So I was randomly browing the updated raw viewers and...

CALLISTO HIT 25M POP!

This means whoever is in charge of shipping people there (Kommando I guess, although markus could input I suppose) can order it set stable! Once it's stable we can dump all our colonists and civ infrastructure back into Luna for maximum colonial growth!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gnooble posted:

So I was randomly browing the updated raw viewers and...

CALLISTO HIT 25M POP!

This means whoever is in charge of shipping people there (Kommando I guess, although markus could input I suppose) can order it set stable! Once it's stable we can dump all our colonists and civ infrastructure back into Luna for maximum colonial growth!

I approve of expanding my Lunar Empire.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Alright I just started playing this and I'm sensing the hype train incoming but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Seriously, the wiki is dead, how's one supposed to even know what something does or means?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

So, while BG is doing Important Life Things, does anybody have any thoughts on Stellaris?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yes, in like a year and after about twice the purchase price it will be the best 4x ever made.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I love Stellaris but you might as well wait for the first big patch that's supposed to come out before the end of this month.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

froody guy posted:

Alright I just started playing this and I'm sensing the hype train incoming but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Seriously, the wiki is dead, how's one supposed to even know what something does or means?

There are some outdated tutorials on the guy's forums. The tutorials in this thread are also outdated since they are from like five versions ago. Still they are good enough. T B H

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.

Viral Warfare posted:

There are some outdated tutorials on the guy's forums. The tutorials in this thread are also outdated since they are from like five versions ago. Still they are good enough. T B H

There's also an excellent tutorial-let's play by Quill18 which is what was finally enough to get me past the barrier and start understanding and enjoying Aurora.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

So, while BG is doing Important Life Things, does anybody have any thoughts on Stellaris?

The general consensus seems to be that while the game is very nice and smooth and exciting at first, it gets bland and repetitive quite soon. It needs patches and DLC. There is a separate threat for Stellaris. But seeing as it's huge and fast, we could maybe use this thread to compare Stellaris to Aurora?

I was for some reason expecting Stellaris to be a polished version of Autora but boy, was I wrong. It's more like Civilization in space, way too streamlined and abstract, way too "gamey" which is a surprise given how "realistic" the other Paradox games are. People praise the great opening phase of exploration, and indeed the anomalies are nice, but I still feel that Aurora made me more excited about discovering space. Partly I think it's a matter of pacing - in Aurora you are limited by having to do surveys first, and more importantly by fuel which limits your range until you are able to expand your logistics by building colonies, refueling stations or using tankers. Your area of operations expands slowly and it feels like an achievement. In Stellaris you just fly out and in an half an hour you have contacted everyone in the galaxy, it's hard to be excited about that. Especially since all aliens are basically just reskinned humans with different stats.

The lack of fuel and the too fast FTL break combat too - people have complained that it boils down to two superstacks fighting each other, no tactics involved. Whereas in Aurora, just getting your fleet anywhere takes so drat long that wars can be won and lost by proper positioning (as we well know). You have to guess where the battles will be fought and divide/deploy your forces way beforehand.

And don't let me started about the planets and systems. Where are my orbiting planets? Why are the distances between orbits completely regular? I want my tightly packed inner system and then Jupiter and Saturn with travel times of months. And with the planet types and the rules of colonisation, we've left the zone of plausibility way behind.

Eh...

I still like the game, it's a good game. I just can't stop thinking about what game it could be.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Samolety posted:

There's also an excellent tutorial-let's play by Quill18 which is what was finally enough to get me past the barrier and start understanding and enjoying Aurora.

Yep, I'm watching that and the other one by the guy with the funny accent.

I couldn't have done a single thing without those but I was wondering for instance: how do I know what a Financial Center does, or what an Infrastructure is or why to build a Military Academy or a Maintenance Facility first? All those things like if a Research Officer has the field of research in his specializations than the bonuses are 4-folded? I mean, there must be a manual of a wiki somehere, no way one can learn all those things by trial and error (and pencil and paper).

By the way, I'm seeing shortages in my Sorium usage since I apparently extract 495 but use 540. Problem is I have done nothing that uses Sorium or fuel, how comes I have shortages? Where do I check what's using it and how do I tune it?

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

froody guy posted:

Yep, I'm watching that and the other one by the guy with the funny accent.

I couldn't have done a single thing without those but I was wondering for instance: how do I know what a Financial Center does, or what an Infrastructure is or why to build a Military Academy or a Maintenance Facility first? All those things like if a Research Officer has the field of research in his specializations than the bonuses are 4-folded? I mean, there must be a manual of a wiki somehere, no way one can learn all those things by trial and error (and pencil and paper).

By the way, I'm seeing shortages in my Sorium usage since I apparently extract 495 but use 540. Problem is I have done nothing that uses Sorium or fuel, how comes I have shortages? Where do I check what's using it and how do I tune it?

You are making fuel every construction cycle w sorium bro, it is on the industry page (I think) at the bottom. Click the button to turn it off

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Saros posted:

Yes, in like a year and after about twice the purchase price it will be the best 4x ever made.

As it seems to be for most Paradox games, unfortunately.

markus_cz posted:

It's more like Civilization in space

THIS puts into words perfectly what I feel, thanks. Stellaris is a fun way to burn a few hours (especially in the early game), but it just feels.... watered down or something. I know that the trend for Paradox games is that they get much better over time with the major updates and expansions (god knows I hated EUIV at release, but love it now - mostly), but here and now Stellaris just trails off after a few hours of play, and even those first few hours are only enjoyable because I get to read all the cool anomaly descriptions. Even that's starting to get boring because I think I've seen most of them by now. There doesn't seem to be much actual strategy. The AI behaves pretty much the same across the board, there's no logistics (beyond wormhole stations, I guess, and that's not much), wars are decided by whoever's doomstack wins the one important battle, and because of the limited trait system/uniform mechanics across all species you might as well be playing reskinned humans 98% of the time. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Aurora and even Distant Worlds, but Stellaris just doesn't live up to what I was expecting.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Until the official wiki gets unfucked, the wayback machine should be sufficient to get the basic information out of it: https://web.archive.org/web/20160303055949/http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If it makes any of you feel better, Crusader Kings 2 was very basic and had a lot of flaws when it first hit the street, but its grown to be Paradox's best game. Everyone over there, especially guys like Wiz, know what their fans want and know how to make a good game.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

hailthefish posted:

Until the official wiki gets unfucked, the wayback machine should be sufficient to get the basic information out of it: https://web.archive.org/web/20160303055949/http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

How did you even unfuck time? :dogbutton:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

*emerges from thread*
Oh my god that took a week to go through. Super cool! I wish my games could be this cool, but I suck too much at this to actually play properly against, say, an NPR, and I don't have a way to play like this (though I really wish I did)

I understand that the LP is temporarily on hiatus, so I guess I picked a good time to read it.

I suppose I may as well introduce myself as well. I discovered Aurora via EnterElysium's Lets Play and it was the reason I dragged a monitor to school with me to hook to my laptop, but I realize now that I played a game in the late 2000's that was very similar to Aurora in spirit called Beyond Protocol, right down to designing components and THEN researching them. It was an MMORTS in its purest sense (galaxy split by systems and planets, and everyone is in it, go wild). For various reasons, that game collapsed, but not before the company behind it released the source code. There was an open source effort to revive the game, and for a few months it was successful, but as far as I know, it is now dead.

Aurora scratches so many of the same itches as that game that I loaded its soundtrack into Aurora via that really handy portable launcher. I'm very much looking forwards to the C# port of the game.

EDIT the second: Also the wiki for the game is back up. You don't need the Wayback Machine anymore. Huzzah!

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 10, 2016

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
UNS Warsaw: Sol-Roanoke Jump Point, 2nd September 2037, 20:32 UNT

The mood is tense on the bridges of the Berlin II-class cruisers of task group RAMPART. Sensor operators wait nervously for the tell-tale blip on their display. Aboard UNS Warsaw, CAPT Grey Hunter's sensor chief calls out, "Contact! Two ships matching expected signatures."

Grey Hunter holds up a hand to his weapons officer. "Ready missiles, hold fire."

"Aye sir, all tubes hot," is the response.

The seconds tick by, and the Captain's hand remains poised. After a few moments, he asks, "Well, Reyes? Anything?"

"No, sir. Both ships are holding just off the jump point, engines idled."

Grey Hunter lowers his hand. "You can never be too careful," he says, cracking a smile. "I wouldn't want to accidentally blow something up." After a strained chuckle from the bridge crew, Grey Hunter orders, "Tell the rest of RAMPART to keep their tubes hot and locked and to fall into formation around those two ships." After a chorus of ayes, the Captain adjusts his restraints and casts the sensor display into his aug. As he does so, six other ships emerge from the jump point.

"WATCHTOWER has transited, sir," says the comms officer. "CDRE Corbett says he will be forming up, but the Cape Towns will be taking on new missiles for the first thirty-six hours en route, limiting us to the maximum speed of the colliers Okinawa and Jinhae."

Grey Hunter quickly runs the numbers and says, "That'll delay us, but not too much. It's going to be over three weeks to get to the K2 jump gate anyway." Into his aug mic, he says, "This is Captain Grey Hunter aboard Warsaw, acknowledging handoff of command to Commodore David Corbett. We'll keep a keen eye on the bogies, Commodore." He settles in and watches the sensor readout as the group forms up and begins to head in-system.

Thirty-five hours later, Commodore Corbett informs the combined WATCHTOWER task group that resupply efforts are completed and that the group will be speeding up to its maximum of 2745 kps. They should arrive at the K2 jump gate by September 22nd.

Civilian Construction
  • BP Saturn
    • Civilian Mining Complex on Mimas expanded to 19 complexes, 4th September 2037

Intelligence Updates
  1. Federation Expeditionary Force (11x Moskva 31, 1x Grisha) changes course from Roanoke jumppoint to Klondike-Kagayan jump gate, 4th September 2037, 1:32 UNT

bgreman fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 5, 2016

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

bgreman posted:

Intelligence Updates
  1. Federation Expeditionary Force (11x Moskva 31, 1x Grisha) changes course from Roanoke jumppoint to Klondike-Kagayan jump gate, 4th September 2037, 1:32 UNT[/b]

Been a while, so can someone confirm my memory that we DID invite the Feds to the party, right? They're not going to be crashing our little get together uninvited and causing a diplomatic incident, and this is all planned?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Crazycryodude posted:

Been a while, so can someone confirm my memory that we DID invite the Feds to the party, right? They're not going to be crashing our little get together uninvited and causing a diplomatic incident, and this is all planned?

Yes, the idea was that they can watch the robot liberation so long as they stay behind the yellow space line.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

These particular ships have been en route to Roanoke to help picket the Roanoke-Hakahaka gate for months, before the recent developments. The Grisha tender is extremely slow, only 1161 kps or so. Despite being more than 1.5b km closer to the inner system than WATCHTOWER, they won't arrive at the K2 gate until a week after WATCHTOWER arrives.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Side note from an International Relations nerd - the SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization), an organization that you can basically call an Eastern analogue to the West's NATO is about to expand to include India and Pakistan as full members. Birth of the Federation?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Crazycryodude posted:

Side note from an International Relations nerd - the SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization), an organization that you can basically call an Eastern analogue to the West's NATO is about to expand to include India and Pakistan as full members. Birth of the Federation?

Fellow IR nerd! Represent :):respek::)

I remember learning about the SCO in my international relations class, that whole semester I kept thinking "so this is where the Coldest war Begins".

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh look the UK did the thing. This is definitely the best decision and won't end badly for the UK and the EU, nope, not at all.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh look the UK did the thing. This is definitely the best decision and won't end badly for the UK and the EU, nope, not at all.

Yup. :(

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Hell yeah Brexit SUCK IT GLOBALISTS!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

This is why winning the PR war matters, people!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

To: UN Councilors
RE: Beef and Automatons

Sirs,
I hardly need to belabor the importance of recent and ongoing events, but I fear we have been grossly under-utilizing the potential for intelligence gathering from individuals who have explicitly put themselves at our disposal, and implications suggest the Federation has not suffered this same shortcoming. Whilst we cannot with certainty verify all the answers, more questioning would give us more to work with and at the least, give us more ability to compare statement to reality in the future. Thereto, Intel has composed a number of questions which we suggest are put to Belnar_Beef and/or Centurion, pursuant of course to vetting and UNFRAD rephrasing for diplomatic niceties.

1) a. Does the civilization we identify as Automatons possess any permanent settlements?
1) b. Do they intend to establish such? Do they have potential sites in mind?
1) c. Would they seek Human help in establishing or growing colonies? (We may be able to identify future trade opportunities here.)
(Intel recommends asking Centurion first, or both Centurion and one of the Beef-Belnar composite organism simultaneously.)

2) a. The MIND's concern for TNE preservation may have been engineered into them, but the issues of resources remain. Given that beings of far greater power exist in the form of both Kaavi and the First Ones, are there any known ways to engineer TNEs ourselves?
2) b. If not (or if it is on too long a timescale to be of meaningful use to us) we would want to discuss anything relating to improved extraction technologies as well as information regarding significant deposits. (If we are lucky we may also glean information about Automaton priorities from their answer, e.g. if they say "No, because we don't perform geosurveys.")

3) a. What steps can we take to ensure our long-term security against the MIND, in the event Kaavi cannot control them, or chooses not to in order to avoid suspicion from the First One? Is there some other way they might be reasoned with or restrained absent Kaavi's influence? Could they be fooled?
3) b. If we do end up fighting them again how would Kaavi react?
3) c. Any strategic or operational information we can get, most especially fleet sizes, ship templates, technology levels, population, etc. etc..

To Beef specifically;
4) Your statements have implied that you regard human unification as desirable or outright necessary. No doubt you also recall the difficulties inherent therein. Do you have any plans to bring this about, or recommendations for how you envision it be done, given the realistic dispositions of the two major factions in question?

To anyone who might answer;
5) What have you told the Federation? and/or What has the Federation asked you?

For lack of any other options, Intel is currently working on the principle of "trust, but verify" - but that verification becomes easier for us the more we have to work with. Intransigence has its own value to us and any statements they do make give us more potential avenues to establish truths and fictions.

Respectfully yours,
Cmdr. Mr. Adequate, Callisto 1st Fleet HQ.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 5, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

LP now progressing in real-time increments.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Alchenar posted:

It's mirroring how an Aurora game is played. At first you you blaze through years at a time, then you slow down as things get more complex, then you're pushing through 30 seconds at a time as you slow lose interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourCartridge
Apr 30, 2015

Alchenar posted:

...So how exactly do we sleep knowing our species existence hangs on a flimsy looking thread? Sure we get to pal around with robot rebels but that's kinda cold comfort when a hive mind is pointing a death ray at you.

• Locked thread