Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Coolguye posted:

Should I write up a 1000ish word summary of the important stuff thus far to ease people into this? It strikes me that reading the entire thread would be rather daunting.

I did that after finding the thread during the Mars Crisis. I just had to go back and see how things lead up to that point. It's a fantastic read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Leif. posted:

Provisionally designate the new Federation ship class as Kharkov.

Aren't Ukraine, and therefore Kharkov, are part of the UN?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I binged on this thread months ago, been following regularly for a while. Sign me up for the Space-Navy, and my votes:

1. Samolety
2. TildeATH

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

bgreman posted:

All three of you have been added to the queue. Do any of you have a preference for what stats the officer has? If so, you will receive the first available officer with that stat, at the risk of passing on an officer available earlier.

Just under four hours left to vote!

Great! Anyone with decent combat-related skills will do.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Are we sure this is just the Mind, or if it's connected with the jump effect?
It might be the Mind amplifying the jump point effect, or it could be a coincidence. Or, something else. After all, why would the Mind make him write a star map, ours or theirs, in blood?

What were the results of the jump point trance research again?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

He's totally not dead.

He's died before.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Or we could give each a line of a limerick.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Why not do it after the operation?
Then we can say "There were scary robot aliens in K2, but the we teamed up with the Feds and kicked their asses. Go Earth!"
Also, do we want to reveal that we've lied about the cause of the loss of Klondike and Kagayan? Might be useful to say that we initially assumed it was because of the gamma rays (can't remember exactly what we said), but a joint exploratory expedition with the Federation revealed it may have been the robot aliens, who we promptly destroyed.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Before attacking PCOC, it would be useful to think about:
1. Avoiding the Osaka Effect. Based on this new information, it would appear the Mind was trying to "brainwash" the Osaka into joining them. If we send unshielded ships against the Mind's vessel, we risk not only losing the ships, but having them and their crews assimilated and turned against us.
2. We should evaluate what potential armament the PCOC might carry. In particular, are there any weapons it could have that disable or penetrate shields? If so, that could put the ships and crews at risk of #1.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

MagnumOpus posted:

We have scouted very little of our corner of the galaxy. We don't know where their planets, bases, and fleets are. Our two leading theories regarding the strength of the enemy are that they either have massive forces capable of crushing as with ease, or no combat-capable ships at all. We wet our collective shorts every time we see one of their logistics vessels, which we are not completely sure we could even take in a stand up fight.

But by all means let us get the usual chest thumping going it has been a few months.

Especially considering one of said logistics vessels nearly brainwashed the crew of our ship.
But no, let's immediately send our entire fleet within brain-rape range of their ship. I'm sure it will end well.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Go get 'em boys (and girls)!
Just save a few for me to kill once I get a void command.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
A life pod?

Could it be... MIND_Beef? :ohdear:

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Are we going to tell the public about the aliens we blew up, or the aliens we're going to blow up? Or are we going to keep everything under wraps, maybe with an MiB team to keep the truth from getting out.

Also, Coolguye: go for it! I look forward to it.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
We can probably expect the ship to have Osaka Effect type weapons, either the same that we saw on the Giza-classes or stronger. Their strategy might be to use said Effect to incapacitate enemy ships then disassemble them with short-range beam weaponry.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
We could also go all X-Files and see how long we can keep the alien conspiracy secret, which seems to be our current plan.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlcUwUwjLrs

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
If I'm reading the design specs right, the missile FAC has much greater range and accuracy than the Meson FAC.
I think the missile FAC is better suited for our needs because they have greater flexibility. The missile FAC can be used just as well as the Meson FAC outside a jump point, but can also be used in an offensive role, and is less vulnerable if confronted with enemy missile ships. Plus, we already have the Gibraltars as a jump point defense ship, and the missile FAC can use our existing missile designs and stockpiles, and upgrades as well. Finally, the Mind may or may not have some sort of affinity for the gates - they might be able to shrug off the jump effect more quickly than we expect.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
But they require us to get closer with our unarmored FACs. If they bring anything with weapons that have greater range than ours, meson FACs are screwed.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Gnooble posted:

That's why you sit directly on the point and fire as they transit. Neither type of FAC can be used for offensive operations, the fuel costs of the gunboat engines are just too high.

Alright, makes sense.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

BwenGun posted:

I'm just going to throw some ideas against the wall here and see what sticks.

So we have dots and lines. Now the obvious assumption is that the big dots are star systems and the lines are jump paths between stars. The little dots could be stationed ships, could be priority of clearance/JP re-stabilisation, could be the Mind equivalent of a name in the only way a human mind could easily represent them. Could even be planets.

From left to right we have:

-6 Lines and 5 small dots
-5 Lines and 3 small dots
-5 Lines and 2 small dots
-5 Lines and 1 small dot

Each connected, in sequence to the next none of them lined to more than one other visible large dot/star.

Now lining them up to our current star charts proves difficult as although the first possible system (6 lines, 5 small dots) could be a match for Uwazi (at least according to this map taken at the time of the Musgrove incident: http://www.bgreman.com/LP/Aurora/20140911/GalMap1.png) with it's six JPs the next system in sequence doesn't match any of the systems we know about connected to Uwazi. Now all the other presumed systems now have 5 assumed JPs present, coincidentally we have another system fully explored with 5 JPs as well, Hakahaka. Of course the fact that there are three such systems only differentiated by the small dots makes it impossible to know which, if any of the systems shown on the Musgrove map correspond with Hakahaka.

Unless, of course, the small dots are a timetable for jump point restabilisation in this region of space that the Mind ship had in mind when the Musgrove incident took place. If that's the case then the single small dot can be reasonably be assumed to be their starting/first target system. Logically that makes it Hakahaka. If we then also assume that Uwazi is the 6 JP system on the Musgrove map that may mean that the other two systems, priority 2 and 3 respectively may well be systems that we have yet to engage in JP surveys for. The only way to be certain, of course, would be to carry out those surveys and see whether we find two 5 JP systems linked to each other and through each other linking Uwazi and Hakahaka; though given current events I concede that may not happen for some time.

Now if all the above is true what does that mean? Well one possibility is that having completed the Yosei gate the Mind ship would have jumped through, stabilised that JP and then proceeded to the next system on the list before eventually entering Uwazi. That being the case it's entirely possible that we could have had a fairly lengthy amount of time without having to worry about the Giza heading to Roanoke and then Sol. Which would be irritating if true, but not the end of the world. If true it might also be useful simply because it provides a baseline for any data extracted from the Mind prisoners we've managed to take thus far.

Bear in mind the above is based on my memory and a hasty reread of recent events so feel free to tell me if I've gotten things wrong or you think I've misinterpreted something, which being fair I very likely have! Either way I'll put my pondering cap on and see if anything else strikes me.

This seems entirely plausible. Especially considering it came from the linelayer itself.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

e: ooh, ooh, educated guess - somewhere on that map wraps around to Federation space. It's possible they possess a more promising logistical basis for staging an assault on the Mind given their early colonisation efforts and potential distance advantages.

e2: which is why getting Fed co-operation matters, which will involve telling them about the map etc etc to explain why we know all this stuff and think it's important and worth pooling resources.

There might also be a longer chain of opened jump gates going there. Sol-Zhongguo is open both ways, and IIRC we're opening Zhongguo->FED002 now. I believe the mind ship was working in FED003, suggesting that there are open jump point connections stretching from Fed-003 to either to the Mind cluster (tentatively, Mind-001) or the next one over (Mind-002).

This also suggest that if the Mind is sending a stronger force, and they know or suspect where Sol is, they'll send it through the Fed's JP chain.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Lu Yan posted:

Onboard a shuttle, racing back towards the UNS Pearl Harbor:

"The fleet has gone to condition one. We're turning around."
Figures. I had just finished labeling FED-00. I had hoped to include the entirety of human space, but duty required my abilities elsewhere. I slipped it into a regular log transmission as the shuttle dove back towards the Watchtower fleet.

Several comm-bouys later, this image arrived at UNIN HQ:

Quoting for the new page.

So, should we share this theory with the Feds?
Considering that they are still our rivals, perhaps we should wait until the Mind comes knocking on Himalaya and Zhongguo first and they request our assistance before we rush to share information or help them.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Traditional Chinese?
It should obviously be 中国 because the PRC is part of the Federation while Taiwan is part of the UN. :spergin:

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Actually, now that I think about it, the space Zhongguo should be written in traditional characters, while the Earthly-PRC Zhongguo should be written in simplified characters. Avoids confusion and I'm sure there can be a symbolic meaning behind it, too.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Why do we have to give it now?
Why not wait until it's relevant, or until we suspect they have something to offer us in return, like intel gained from interrogating their POWs?

Seriously, they're our ally of convenience, the USSR to our USA. They're not our best buds and we shouldn't give them potentially valuable information for free (or nebulous "good will").

Pash posted:

Take this with a grain of salt, seeing as I mainly have been lurking in this thread and have not read all the background in the thread, just the last few months worth... But seeing as offensive action against the Mind, at this time, is all but impossible without a slow, deliberate and time intensive march, is giving this map to the Feds really going to accomplish anything? The current issue is the defense of Sol, and we don't need to give the Feds the map to have them have a vested interest in working with us to that end. At best giving them the map gets us a long term joint military venture quite a ways down the line, at worst they have some information helps reveal what this map means, don't share it with us, and reap some sort of benefit from it.

This too.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I think one of the treaties we signed requires us to allow the Feds passage through our space if they are blocked into a dead-end.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Question: are ansible communications interceptable?
Like, if Chiwie tries to communicate with the rest of the fleet in order to set up an attack, would that give away his position?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Holy poo poo! :vince:

EDIT: Update last page. The Beef has Returned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Amazing :perfect:

• Locked thread