Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Going to follow this, albeit cautiously, since I know just how complicated Aurora can be, and how hard it is to make a fun LP of it.

Are you going to be using SM Mode to set up a good starting scenario, so you have a bit more control over the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I think it's fine like this, it's not as if it's a well-designed interface.

Also, is the United Nations/Eurasia Federation bit you having two actual colonies on the planet, or just artistic license?

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

bgreman posted:

There are actually two colonies on Earth, one belonging to the UN and one belonging to the Eurasian Federation. The ability to have multiple colonies on a single world is a nice little feature that allows for game starts like this one, instead of having to come up with a fiction that explains how the world united into one government (you know, instead of two, which is so much more realistic :v:).

I'm not sure how many bugs were fixed since then, but last time I tried such a start, I was plagued with bugs. From the 'ship disappearing and suddenly becoming a different faction than myself' type, to the '«Returned type instead of type.» ad infinitum until I start a different game' type. Hopefully it's been fixed. It's been a while after all.

Just a bit of a trivia question, the game's designer/programmer/etc is now playing poker professionally, or something, right?

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So how can we increase industry on a planet, or is a set amount that's always there? Also are the mines automatically placed, or do we build them?

For now we've started with Conventional industry. This is the basic 1 to 1 type of industry, presumably the kind we've got around here. You can build more conventional industry, but the increase is linear. For every 1 building of Conventional Industry, you gain another 1 in the industry amount. This is for now, and will change once we're further along.

Mines are of two types: automatic and manual. The manual ones have a greater efficiency, thus mine more in the same period of time, but need the population on the colony to be numerous enough for enough people to have been assigned to the industry (might be wrong, there could be a separate industry for mining, I can't remember) sector of the colony. You can build them as you see the order to build financial centers in the last post. You can also convert manual mines to automated ones for a paltry cost in materials and time. Once the mines are built, you'll need to move them to the actual colony you want them to mine from (or build them already there), but that'll show up later.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Ynkling posted:

The level 1 military academy we have can produce these, correct? I'm sure that this will be covered in due time, but with these dense updates it might be good to get some preliminary ideas out there.

Yes, it can. I'm not even sure the level of the military academy influences anything other than the amount of personnel it spits out.

Even better, we've more than likely already started with a good number of administrators, researchers, etc, that are likely at least a bit skilled with geological surveys.

On the game aspect of it, it's better to not survey the planet just yet, because once you do, it's final, but higher skill levels from the team will mean more discoveries before it's finalised. Unless you're so low on minerals that you can't survey other planets, but that's not the case here.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Well, I think it's safe to say that if it happens, bgreman will probably just use SM mode to fix it so the playthrough is fun.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Sad King Billy posted:

Would you say I have been quite unlucky in that I have only been given two scientists initially.

My academies haven't produced more yet and I am limited to two research projects at a time, which isn't ideal!

Unless you have enough research labs, or the scientists can control so few, that you end up with unused labs, focusing on two research projects at one time seems ideal to me, for starting out. Once you're further along, you'll get more scientists, increase your annual RP overall, and train your older scientists, so you end up managing a lot more projects.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Yes that is what I would like to do, in keeping with the percentages assigned earlier.

So by next year, we should be able to bring our construction time for the conversions down by a couple of years :toot:

It might have changed, but those construction times will be going down exponentially as you're converting to TNE industry. Since the new industry is ten times as fast as the old one, the actual point value of construction should be accelerating upwards, because you're also increasing the amount of industry that's creating faster industry itself.

In total we might very well shave off a decade from that conversion end date.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

bgreman posted:

In the research posts, (almost) everything in italics is my own spin on how Trans-Newtonian technology is incorporated into those areas. TNEs are Steve's handwavium plot device that allows the game to do things the way it does, but I'm trying to provide a narrative more grounded in reality and science, and its been fun to write those things.

Unless I'm mistaken, jump theory was already in canon as lagrange points having some interaction with TNEs or something, rather than wormholes of some sort. I don't mind this theory at all, it even doesn't make sense the other way in most cases.

Something I like to do in my games, and would like to bring to light towards the people handling the decision-making, is having one or two constant research projects in my list. Basically, I'll generally appoint a scientist focused on Construction and Production to work on Research Rate, with only 5 labs or less, and use the rest for whatever I'm doing. This doesn't generally happen until I've got all the tech I need to make the first barebones ships and geological sensors (since that's an actual emergency sometimes), but I find that the steady, slow increase in annual RP is incredibly useful even in the early game. Even the first step might not finish for a decade, depending on the bonus, but it's worth it sometimes. I also occasionally do this with Construction Rate, depending on what I'm planning.

It's a useful technique, and you all might want to consider it, depending on your intentions. Keep in mind it'll mean slower research for the short term, since 1-5 labs would be gone.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Can you make teams with less than 5 characters, or are we going to be waiting a while before we can make diplomats?

You can (or could a while ago), but it's not worth it in any way. The skill of the team is simply adding all the ratings for every member. This means that a two-member team would have a rating of 0-60, which isn't good at all.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Gameplay question (again):

How do you create a waypoint on Luna (or any other planet) that sticks to it? Do probes even still work when they wind up half way across the solar system because orbits!

Select Luna (or any other planet) by clicking on it, so the game window centers on it. Go to the waypoints tab and hit 'Last'. That will create a waypoint affixed to the planet.

If a probe isn't on the planet itself, it won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

probes probes probes!

Also is there any way to get around some of the windows (including the officer window D: ) from going off the screen in sub 1600x1200 resolutions. Cause I wanna play on the couch, but my light monitor is only 1440x900 so I can't assign officers at all :( or even turn on automatic :((

Main window, the toolbar-like one, has a "Reduced Height Windows" toggle in one of the menus. It doesn't help much, and generally still requires you to auto-hide your taskbar and be careful while navigating, but I've been playing like that just fine on my 1366x768 laptop.

Alternatively, if you're running Windows 7, Win key + P to set projector mode to extend, make the second monitor be on top of your current one, and move the game window upwards through the roof of your monitor. You won't see the title of the window, but it'll let you reach lower buttons.

• Locked thread