Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm only 30% through the LP at this point, but sign me up for Ground Forces, please! The Volunteer State volunteers for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

bgreman posted:

Any particular role or stat preference?

If role means assignment, Mobile Infantry would be great. (I am assuming we don't have space cops [yet].) No stat preference!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, my colonel is still alive. I have an entire year of delicious LP to catch up on and apparently a lot of Belnar studying to do.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Quick question while I try to catch up: are the bgreman.com sites from earlier in the LP (for ship designs, missile design, etc.) all void now? With the exception of the personnel page, everything rolls up 404.

Pretty pleased that I'm the CO of the Belnar Imperium Exploration Corps with my thunderous 1% bonus for xenoarchaeology. :smug: What spot is my unit currently assigned to?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

bgreman posted:

http://www.bgreman.com/LP/Aurora/ColdestWarViewer/

The raw, components, and system body viewers have replaced those early static pages.

You're super fast! Thank you.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
To: Lt. General berryjon and UN Ground Forces Centcom
From: Col. RedTonic, CO Belnar Imperium Exploration Corps
Subj: Paperwork

Seems like my unit and I are missing from the UN Ground Forces Staff Directory. Now it's possible that we're just a secret to everyone, but I suspect it's an op to discredit our brave engineers from receiving their proper due as xeno-explorers. :smugbert:

I'd also appreciate an update on our orders.
While some of us might like sitting around and enjoying the smell of our own farts, most of us would prefer to be crushed by alien automata or alien constructions built by extinct fools who didn't understand the benefits of OSHA, or maybe just fried to death and/or lost in space forever, so I volunteer for the K2 incursion.

----

Out of character-ly, I haven't noticed the BIE Corps being assigned to anything while reading the text-only parts of bgreman's updates and I didn't note anything in the wiki. I could have missed something in the images, though. Is the unit currently assigned to Mars or any other known Belnar ruins? And may I have a current stats update of my officer (assuming the version in the Viewer is out of date)?

e: Gnooble's communication is the last post of the previous page and includes ~spaceship orders~ and ordnance manufacturing orders.

e2: Holy poo poo, there's way more stuff on the viewer than I thought. :aaaaa: Thanks, Saros!

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 8, 2014

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Q: What is an LP? A: A miserable pile of secrets.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Unrelated to current proceedings, bgreman, were there ever further developments with regards to Ambassador Aloyoshenka Kulikov, who came down with leukemia (supposedly)?

For Zhongguo, why not ask to establish a scientific outpost/station one of our ~science spaceships~ out there and share any xenobiology developments with Fred in exchange? A full blown colony or military outfit may threaten them, but I imagine a small research outpost would be less alarming, especially with a conciliatory approach towards research sharing. I admit I don't know what that would look like in game terms. Setting up an actual lab on a celestial body in Zhongguo seems unlikely, since I am betting that requires a civilian support population. A science ship might be significantly easier since it would prevent the UN from making any end runs with the Articles of Colonization.

e: what markus said

e2: I've begun updating the Mars page on the Aurora wiki. I'm not quite into the events with the Brotherhood of Free Mars just yet. I have taken a few small liberties with a couple of the throwaway events around UN leaders' skill-ups that bgreman included in his updates, but nothing huge. I incorporated the whole text with some small adjustments of bgreman's flavor text about the Republic of Mars (RIP).

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 16, 2014

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I finished making a big update to the Mars wiki entry. I definitely didn't lose it when my account mysteriously logged out in the middle of the day, no way. Definitely didn't have to re-do that and probably omit little factoids. :eng99:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Thanks! I think I'll work on expanding the Mars-related stuff while that's fresh in my mind. (And I guess I better aggressively check that I stay logged in...)

bgreman, I put your Belnar in Our Time and Theirs write-up into the wiki. Unfortunately the neat pictures can't be embedded if they're not in the wiki directory.

e: I intend to source aggressively so that in case of future UN shenanigans, the major actors can point to past events with more certainty. I'm very glad it's appreciated! Skeletons of related pages are going into place, should have those more fleshed out and cited over the next couple days. If someone wouldn't mind looking over the http://bgreman.com/AuroraLPWiki/Second_Treaty_of_Mars page and providing whatever the actual text of that agreement turned out to be, that would be awesome (TildeATH?). In any case I'll have that page done today based on what I could find in the thread.
\/\/\/\/

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 18, 2014

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I definitely did not spend all day working on an unauthorized Kala TildeATH biography. :eng99: Not complete, but getting there.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The Queen of Perpetual Indulgence.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Gnooble posted:

Happy Holidays United Nations! (and Figureheads/Drunken Elected Officials of our favorite cutthroat merchant asteroid)

For those who are unaware, RedTonic has been undergoing a massive effort to expand and update the LP wiki with information and references back to the thread.

Therefore, in recognition of his efforts, COL RedTonic is awarded the United Nations Conspicuous Service Award for his work expanding, maintaining, and collecting reference material for the United Nations Central Archives.

Aw, thanks! It's been a good project for slow periods at work. I'll be back at it soon.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I know where Col. RedTonic is retiring. :colbert:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ultrabindu posted:

Actually it would be handy if I could get all the UNEC logos as vectors (EPS files) or a high res PNG. I don't suppose anyone could point me in the right direction for these?

That really would be great. If the files could be included in the associated wiki articles, then it would be cool and a handy reference.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Thanks for digging up all those lovely letterheads. I've uploaded them (both versions for each office) to the wiki and included them (the large only) in the appropriate pages (where I could find them, at least). I also added the Mars flag (though I think I might be wrong; the one I used might be Brotherhood rather than UN) and Jupiter flag. Were any other flags (Venus, Luna, etc.) ever decided upon? I'm having a little trouble locating flags.

fake e: love parentheses

real e: Thanks, Gnooble. I've made a little correction or two accordingly.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 5, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
To: UNGF Mailing List
Subject: A Martian History

Finally recovered from a spate of tne gastronomy-poisoning. Don't let the eggheads out here in Callisto convince you that mercassium-assisted sous vide moonbear steak is in any way safe or delicious. In between bouts of mortal suffering, I have included further updates in my little unofficial history of our Martian efforts. I'm pretty sure I managed to exclude any mention of my delirously beautiful medal.

Mediocrely yours,
Col. RedTonic
BIEC

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I love all this art! :swoon:

Also looking at the Illuminati UN logos cracks me up.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Order the crew to concentrate on singing the song that never ends. At the very least, it will baffle and annoy the Mind before the crew's inevitable personality death; at best, it'll drive the Kaavi nuts and they'll be ineffectual!

:ohdear: Psychic enemies are the worst.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Oh man, stuff happening. :allears: Reminds me that I need to get back on updating the wiki.

What's the estimated date of completion for Masada Velvet Hammer?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
That was one action-packed update. I'm not sure having no apparent guns means that ship isn't a threat. After all, a previous unarmed pod was able to make modifications to a military class vessel of ours. (Sure it was narrative... But who knows?)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Logistics is too close to my real job. Playing disaffected space hobby-archivist is more my speed. :eng101:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:allears: Just fantastic. I kind of expected us to be blown out of the void, honestly. I'm glad my lack of faith was not vindicated.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

:magical:

Holy poo poo. I for one cannot wait to read the response of our UNEC overlords.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

MagnumOpus posted:

Or, considering how little it takes for this thread to gleefully descend into torturechat, one of the hostile barbarian civilizations encountered by The Culture.

I too think we're the barbarians. Glory to the horde, god save the gerontocracy, etc.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

TildeATH posted:

It was used up making all these hats, remember. :tinfoil:

:tinfoil: I don't remember when these became part of the standard UNGF uniform, but I admit they're better than the stainless colanders.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Wow, we just killed the Mind with a space sawzall? :drat:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

wjs5 posted:

Hmm is this a point where some one with some kind of diplo bonus would be good to "talk" to the captured things?

Is risking this worthwhile? If the Mind can still forcibly Osaka someone, we're at a (diplomatic) impasse. Might just be a good idea to drop it down a Lunar mineshaft and drop a few tons of space rubble on top. e: or, I don't know, launch them into the sun so they can achieve one-ness with a star?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Kommando posted:

They may still do this.

Right. If I were a potent mind-eating Mind, maybe I would wait until the density of detectable minds rose to population center levels before exerting my mind-eating Mind powers instead of chowing on the ship crew. Or maybe I did chow on the ship crew and no one has figured it out; meanwhile, I'm taking a pleasure cruise to the all you can eat naked mind buffet.

I mean, I'm out on a distant space rock. If Earth's population gets eaten, before our inevitable lonely end, I'll write some tragic space memoirs for future explorers to use as sani-wipes. :eng101:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Chiwie posted:

Is it possible to recommend the crew of the UNS Bassae for some serious medals, Because they seriously deserve some.

Chiwie deserves a Tildo-esque number of medals, really.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

SIGSEGV posted:

We shot up aliens who were fixing potholes. It's our, and Humanity's, greatest victory to date.

To be fair, they were blocking our driveway.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

AJ_Impy posted:

They tried to communicate in such a manner that effectively rendered our people brain-dead. Naturally, we replied in kind given the technology available to us.

Missiles are just mobile phone calls through a different platform. We can't be held responsible for how the recipient receives the message!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

That's one seriously fine lemon.

And once again, excellent work, UNIN. Looking forward to further victory in LABYRINTH.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Woozey posted:

Didn't expect to potentially see action this soon, I am both thrilled and terrified.

I'm jealous. :colbert: But I suppose one doesn't purposefully put a knot of infantry engineers where they might get hazard pay. (Except Mars. :un:)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The best thing about being in the outer rings of the Sol system is that it's gonna be so much harder for my relatives to bombard me with stupid questions about space alieums.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

lenoon posted:

Or just win and remain moderate?

That's really not how factional politics or negotiations work in practice. Participating in negotiations with no intention to cede any position is also negotiating in bad faith; whereas if we start from the most extreme position and demand all beneficial (to us) outcomes and then cede those we are most willing to give up, that's both better tactics and more honest.

e: Not that being honest really matters to :un:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
In the process of catching back up and I just want to say that the effort put into this LP is stellar. Maybe I oughtta get back into updating the wiki...

• Locked thread