Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Enlist me in the ground forces, please.

Done, and added to Current Leaders, much as it pains me to put someone named "SpermCube" in the game.

Lord Windy posted:

FROM: The Desk of Lord Windy, Director of Defence and Procurement
TO: R&D
CC: UNEC

I like Geological Survey Sensors, but I think we should research Pressurised Water Reactors at the same time. Like a 50/50 split, and onto Thermal Nuclear Missiles and Thermal Nuclear Engines after it is done.

And if at all possible, can we grab Duranium Armour with it all?

Like this?

I can juggle those around if you like.

Red Mike posted:

It might have changed, but those construction times will be going down exponentially as you're converting to TNE industry. Since the new industry is ten times as fast as the old one, the actual point value of construction should be accelerating upwards, because you're also increasing the amount of industry that's creating faster industry itself.

In total we might very well shave off a decade from that conversion end date.

This is a very good point as well. The formulas for estimated completion date only take into account your construction capacity at this instant, and assume it will stay constant. Those dates will definitely start ticking down.

PokeWarVeteran posted:

I would like to request that I be assigned to a Civilian Administrator post.

In addition, I would like to request that we focus on getting our colonization operations going as soon as we have rudimentary defenses active.

I'd hate to be the SECOND Governor of Mars.

Also, great thread so far. I literally loaded up this game for the first time today and it just blew me away with complexity.
I mean, it only took me a few hours with Dwarf Fort to figure out how to power waterwheels with blood, but I barely got this game off the ground.
With your informative style, I may just give this game a chance.

Sadly, we only started with three civ admins, but you're first in line for the next one to show up.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm trying to be both informative and entertaining. In the research posts, (almost) everything in italics is my own spin on how Trans-Newtonian technology is incorporated into those areas. TNEs are Steve's handwavium plot device that allows the game to do things the way it does, but I'm trying to provide a narrative more grounded in reality and science, and its been fun to write those things.

Also, and I'm half-surprised no one brought this up, but as far as me controlling the Federation, I put my orders for the next time advancement in before I start posting updates for you guys, to avoid being influenced by your decisions. Obviously I want to maintain the challenge and an interesting narrative for you guys, so I won't hesitate to grease the wheels a little if necessary, but I won't be out-and-out cheating, have no fear.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Ceebees posted:

Firstly, i'd like to say thank you, bgreman, for taking the time to explain this sprawling... thing.

Secondly, the game's obsession with putting TNE's into absolutely everything amuses me in the same way that Space Pirates phazon obsession does, even if Aurora's magic space rocks usually do improve things.

:science: "Yeah, when we put duranium into the railgun rounds, it really brought down performance."
:v: "So, why not just make the bullets without any TNEs?"
:science: "I don't understand the question."

Haha, the game doesn't give any explanation for any of this stuff. All of the italic flavor text in the tech descriptions is my interpretation of why, all of a sudden, having TNEs allows people to build weaponized lasers and railguns when they couldn't before, and why certain techs work the (counterintuitive) way they do.

I'm proud of the ICEF concept though.

Vander posted:

I want to fly a ships.

Done.

Zyrden posted:

Eurasian Federation Flag

I have no photoshop skills, so I had to trace the outline of that drat bird with a pixel brush. :saddowns:

I really like this one.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 3, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Red Mike posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, jump theory was already in canon as lagrange points having some interaction with TNEs or something, rather than wormholes of some sort. I don't mind this theory at all, it even doesn't make sense the other way in most cases.

Actually, the one I used for Jump Point Theory and the one I used for Trans-Newtonian Technology are the only non-original ones. It's a slightly modified version of the official story of Trans-Newtonian element discovery and jump point theory discovery from one of Steve's own AARs, copied almost verbatim from the Aurora wiki. Definitely wormholes. Jump gates are wormhole stabilization devices.

What you're thinking of is Lagrange points trailing superjovian planets, which allow jumping to other similar points in the same system without a jump engine. (Which is something I probably should have added to that tech entry).

Ceebees posted:

As long as i'm occupying space in the thread, i might as well apply for a naval position so i can occupy space in the game. (ha ha, space puns)

If i remember how Reporting Names work, i'm pretty sure that you're in charge of naming classes of enemy machines, not individual vehicles?

You're in (I've been just going down the seniority list for commanders, and it happens that you're the Public Affairs Officer for Fleet Headquarters, you lucky dog you), and yes, reporting names are assigned to classes. So the Beijing-class cruiser, and the St. Petersburg-class carrier. Individual instances would be Beijing-class 001, etc.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 3, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Puistokemisti posted:

There has been no major issues raised about this and I cannot myself think any better solutions so I am approving this, Yes.

The carrier question can be postponed until construction of capital class becomes viable and we know more about the needs of our fleets.

Yeah you guys are forgetting something:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Puistokemisti posted:

The plan calls for starting the fleet construction with <1000 ton ships, so wouldn't those fit in the slipway. I have no idea what I'm missing here.

Unless those amounts are in kgs instead of tons, in which case why do we have a shipyard that couldn't fit even a car.

I was just noting that grandiose dreams of "battleship" vs. "carrier" doctrine are probably rather a far way out when the biggest thing you can build right now is just over 1000 tons. I'll probably write a shipyard update tomorrow, which will complete the bottom row of tabs on the Population and Production Screen.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

How the heck did the I.S.S's slipway get to be so huge?

I noted in a prior update that since the base capacity for a commercial shipyard is 10,000 tonnes, I'd update your shipyard to that base value to avoid having to build a new shipyard to get the free capacity.

MagicBoots posted:

Also, can I be a scientist, preferably in Missile and Kinetic weapons? (someone needs to counter this rampant laser obsession!)

You don't get to pick your specialty, but you're our fifth and final starting scientist. Further scientist requests will go in the queue. There are still 9 naval officers and 3 ground force officer slots open.

PokeWarVeteran posted:

... and I haven't even graduated from the Academy yet.

This is an excellent rationalization of the waiting lists and I thank you for it.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 3, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Morrow posted:

Space me!

Also, I think ISS builds non-military ships only.

I'm assuming this means you want to be a naval commander. In which case: done.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Jimmy4400nav posted:

From U.N Industrial Command
To: UNEC

Industrial Command would like inquire into the feasibility of using unmanned drone to scout the solar system for resources. While we will need a manned presence in space, sooner as preferred to later, given that we already have a missile firing system in place, would it be possible to retrofit some missiles to launch unmanned drones into space and have them scan for our needed TNEs? If it is possible it may alleviate some of the burden for scanning the various asteroids and gas giant moons in our solar system.

To: UN Department of Industry
RE: Survey drone feasibility

This should be a rather easy task to accomplish, although we'd need the following, at bare minimum:

1. A missile drone design capable of reaching the targets.
  2. A buoy design fitted with reactors and geological sensors.
    1. Reactor technology
    2. Geological sensor technology
  3. A launch complex (PDC) capable of launching the missile drone and payload.
    1. A missile launcher capable of firing the drone
    2. A guidance system (missile fire control) capable of firing the missile.
      1. Active Grav Sensor technology

For this task, we'd ideally design the buoy first, then the drone bus. Once we had a completed missile, we could simultaneously develop the launcher and fire control that would be used to launch. It is also possible that we may be able to co-opt one of the ICBM complexes and use its launcher and fire control, but we'd be forced to align with its launcher configuration.

We recommend waiting for the reactor and geological sensor technology, as they are prerequisites for this plan anyway. The only other prerequisite for the standalone complex would be the active grav sensor tech.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 3, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Before you all get too big for your britches, naval and ground force commanders are all the lowest rank, though at the top of the seniority. Non-goon in-game characters represent their superiors until such a time as they are promoted to higher commands.

As for ground force organization, the current units are all "donated" battalions from UN member nations. There is no higher brigade or division structure yet (because it hasn't been researched yet), but there are higher ranked commanders than our Goon colonels.

We currently have 22 naval commanders. When we hit 24, one of the commanders will be promoted, most likely (but not guaranteed) a goon commander. We have 10 colonels. When we hit 12, one of them will be promoted, also likely a goon. For the navy, that just means we have a goon Captain, and there are still at least two ranks above him. For ground forces, that will make a goon Brigadier General, but he'd be the least senior Briagadier General.

Rest assured however, that there will be opportunities for independent commands, with detached task groups, expeditionary forces, etc. For now, you're under the command of your NPC superiors (i.e., me), who will set most orders in accordance with UNEC directives (for those Task Groups for which the Senior Officer is not a goon).

bgreman fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 4, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Also since we've been doing so much theorizing and thinking over here the guys asked if I could name the 57th LTA "The Think Tanks".

Tolan posted:

I'd like to volunteer as a naval officer.

Deade posted:

If possible I'd like to join the Ground Forces and get in on this action! And hopefully I can become the hero Gotham my people deserve.

All done.

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

I don't know what units you guys rate warhead yields in nowadays but our current weapons have 6 and these things would have 37.

Megatons.

MagicBoots posted:

Bombard them until they surrender.

It is also possible to force a population to surrender through ground combat.

RE: Survey Drone Feasibility

Upon further review, we have determined that, as with Col. SPERMCUBE.ORG's more unorthodox suggestion, we could modify or missile silos to launch survey probes atop missile drones. We'd still require the reactor and sensor techs, but could use the current guidance computers on the missile complexes.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 4, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Slaan posted:

I like your thought about commies re: nuking them, but I must say that they are slightly... misguided. Why would you want to try and burn them up with nuclear energy on missiles that can be relatively easily shot down when you can just put a giant laser cannon on the moon? 100% hit chance, 100% destruction, 0% interception.

To: Dr. Slaan
Re: Laser Technology

While I'm sure everyone appreciates your boundless enthusiasm, recent simulations have determined that Earth's atmosphere presents too large a scattering cross-section for laser technology to be feasibly weaponized in a ground-based environment.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

My Grandpa used to say "Better rads than reds." It was true then and it's true now.

Really? I was trying to come up with a design for these but I couldn't figure out a way to target planets and asteroids and stuff. Then I got distracted by giant nuclear bombs.

Place a waypoint on the planet by clicking the planet in the system map, then opening the 'Waypoints' tab of the system map controls and hit 'last', which places a waypoint on the last body selected.

Fire controls can target waypoints in the same system.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Component Design Continued: Engines and Missile Launchers

Engines
I already covered how to use the create research project screen, so I'll be a little more brief with these next couple items.

For engines, there are six "background technologies." The only one we have an option for is "Engine Platform."

Engine Technology determines the power output per hull space (thrust:weight ratio, essentially) of the engine. Conventional empires start with the Conventional Engine technology, in able to represent pre-TNE engines pushing around hulls constructed from TNE materials. Conventional engines have a base output of 1 unit. One unit of engine power are the amount of power required to propel 50 tons (1 HS) against the Trans-Newtonian drag at 1000 km/s (this unit is also known as a EPU (engine power unit)). Therefore, for a ship or missile, speed = total_engine_power / total_size_in_HS * 1000 km/s.

Power vs. Efficiency allows for creating super-tuned or de-tuned engines, increasing output power at the cost of fuel efficiency or vice versa. Making these alterations carries with it an increased risk of engine explosion if the engine takes damage during combat. The only option we have is the base rate: no increase to either, and a 5% explosion chance.

Fuel efficiency determines the rate at which fuel is consumed. A ship running at its max speed consumes fuel (in litres) at a rate equal to its engine power every 10 hours, or fuel (in litres) equal to 2.4 times its engine power every day. A ship with one Conventional military engine (total power output: 1 EPU) consumes 2.4 litres of ReSor per day. If it had a fuel tank capable of carrying 50,000 litres (the standard fuel tank size), it could operate for 20833 days (about 58 years). If its max speed was 100 km/s, it could travel for 179 billion km before running out of fuel (about 15 round trips to Pluto).

We only currently have access to the base (no modification) fuel efficiency rate.

The way these techs work is that the Engine Power vs. Engine Efficiency tech actually increases (or decreases) the power of the engine, and then calculates fuel usage for an effective engine power. For example, lets consider a base 40 EPU engine. With the engine efficiency -10%, engine Power Increase 5%, Exp 7% technology, the engine power would increase to 42 (40 * 1.05), but the engine would act as if it had 10% more power than its base for the purposes of fuel consumption (effective fuel consumption EPU of 44).

If we applied the engine efficiency 20%, engine power reduction 10%, exp 3% tech, the engine power would reduce to 36 (40 * 0.90), but it would consume fuel at the same rate as an engine with 20% less power: 32 (40 * 0.8).

The fuel efficiency tech directly reduces the amount of fuel consumed by the engine. Fuel efficiency 0.8 means an engine consumes only 80% of the base amount that an engine of its power would.

Combining the two can lead to very drastic reductions in fuel consumption. The actual consumption of an engine operating at full power is calculated as Engine Power (including any increases or reductions from the Power vs. Efficiency tech) * Engine Efficiency (from Power vs. Efficiency Tech) * Fuel Efficiency (from Fuel Efficiency Tech).

Ships traveling at less than their max speed consume fuel based on the engine power that would be necessary to move them at that speed, modified by the total efficiency.

Hyper Drive Efficiency controls the size penalty that is incurred when an engine is made hyper-capable. We have no hyper capability now, but the first tech in this line is available for research and doubles the size of the engine. Further techs reduce this size penalty.

Thermal Reduction applies a reduction to the thermal signature generated by the engine. The thermal signature for an engine is equal to its power output * its thermal reduction modifier. A 5% reduction to a 40 EPU engine would cause it to have a thermal signature of 38.

Engine Platform is the only option we can change for engines at this time. The options are Military Engine or Commercial Engine. Military engines flag any ship they are on as military ships, and thus subject to maintenance failures and requiring overhaul. There are several other systems that flag ships as military, and will be discussed in the ship design update. Commercial engines preserve the commercial status of the ship. They provide 2.5 times more power than the military equivalent, but are also 5 times larger, reducing their thrust:mass ratio to half that of their military counterparts. Commercial engines use 1/10th the fuel that a military engine does. The prior discussion on fuel consumption assumed a military ship. Finally, military engines are hardier, having a better HTK than commercial engines.

code:
Conventional Engine E10
Power Output: 1     Explosion Chance: 5     Efficiency: 1    Thermal Signature: 1
Engine Size: 5 HS    Engine HTK: 2
Cost: 5    Crew: 25
Materials Required: 1.25x Duranium  0x Neutronium  3.75x Gallicite

Development Cost for Project: 50RP
This is the military engine we'd currently be able to design. The first line gives the auto-generated name for the ship. "E10" indicates the efficiency value. Strangely, it seems to be multiplied by ten for whatever reason (perhaps assuming that commercial ships are the base).

code:
Power Output: 2.5     Explosion Chance: 1     Efficiency: 0.1    Thermal Signature: 2.5
Engine Size: 25 HS    Engine HTK: 1

This is the corresponding commercial engine.

Missile Launchers

Missile Launcher Size controls the size of the missile that may be launched by the launcher. Advanced ICEF fields allow smaller missiles to be launched from larger launchers, but larger missiles will not physically fit in the launcher. Launcher size also determines the base rate of fire, with a base reload rate of 30 seconds per size (Size 1: 30s, Size 2: 60s, etc). The base physical size (in HS) of the launcher is equal to its Missile Launcher Size. The size can be any integer from 1 to 100. Size also influences HTK.

Missile Launcher Reload Rate controls the reload rate of the launcher. This tech acts as a divisor for the base reload rate. We have Rate 1, which divides the base rate by 1, for no effect. The next tech is Rate 2, which cuts the reload rate in half. A size 10 rate 1 launcher reloads in 300s. A size 10 rate 2 launcher reloads in 150s, a 50% reduction. A size 10 rate 3 launcher reloads in 100s, a 66% reduction from the original, but only a 33% reduction from the rate 2 launcher. In general, a rate N launcher offers a 1/N improvement in reload time over the previous rate, making the diminishing returns obvious.

Platform Type can be either Ship-based or PDC-based. Ship-based launchers can be used on either ships or PDCs. PDC-based launchers can only be used on PDCs. Because they don't have to meet the same space requirements as ship-based systems, PDC-based launchers can afford to include more reloading machinery, reducing their base reload rate in half compared to an equivalent ship-based system.

Reduced Size Launchers allow for decreasing the physical size of a launcher while increasing reload rate. This also influences HTK.

code:
PDC Size 24 Missile Launcher
Maximum Missile Size: 24     Rate of Fire: 360 seconds
Launcher Size: 24 HS    Launcher HTK: 12
Cost Per Launcher: 96    Crew Per Launcher: 240
PDC Only
Materials Required: 24x Duranium  72x Tritanium

Development Cost for Project: 960RP
[i]This example design demonstrates a launcher that would still be capable of firing our ICBM stocks, while drastically reducing the reload time over our ICBM launchers.

Our current launchers are a special case that is hard coded into the game for conventional empires, and has a reload cycle of 12 hours, representing the difficulty of moving a new ICBM into the silo and preparing it for launch without any TN tech (frankly I think 12 hours is extremely generous). Of course, each complex we currently have has 10 silos and 10 missiles in its stores, so they aren't really planned with more than one shot in mind.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 2, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Zyrden posted:

Er, don't you mean speed = total_engine_power / total_size_in_HS * 1000 km/s?

Yes, whoops. I'll fix that.

Shipyard Operations

Shipyard complexes are one of the cooler features of Aurora, in that you don't just tell the game, "Hey I want 50 Leviathan-class Battleships" and then they show up one at a time at your production facility. Here, you must design your ship class, retool a shipyard to build that class, then assign ships of that class to be built. All ships larger than 500 tons must be built at shipyards. Ships smaller than that can be built at fighter factories.

The top pane is an overview of the shipyards at this population (as with all other tabs on the Population and Production dialog, the contents are specific to the population selected in the left pane).

The middle pane allows control of shipyard activities. The bottom pane controls shipyard tasks. While the language used isn't very clear, the distinction is that activities are things that change the shipyard's capabilities, while tasks are actual shipbuilding efforts. Generally, activities and tasks can take place concurrently (exception listed below).

This pane gives a quick overview of the status of the shipyards located at this population.
  • Name is the name of the shipyard.
  • Ty(pe) details whether the shipyard is for commercial vessels or naval (military) vessels. The differences between the two will be spelled out below. All discussion until then will assume a military shipyard.
  • Total slipways is the total number of construction "slots" each shipyard has. New slipways can be built (see below).
  • Capacity per slipway is the largest ship buildable at that yard.
  • :siren:Assigned Class is the class that the shipyard is tooled to build. This is the biggest difference between Aurora and other (simpler?) games when it comes to ship building. In Aurora, a shipyard must be assigned to produce a specific ship class design. Changing the assigned design (called "retooling") takes time and materials, so shipbuilding is a very involved and strategic process.
  • Current Complex Activity is what the shipyard is currently doing to expand its capabilities (see below).
  • Progress is the progress of the current complex activity.
  • Completion Date provides an estimate of the date of completion of the current complex activity.
  • Mod Rate is the number of Build Points per year that the shipyard uses for shipyard activities. This rate increases as the size of the shipyard complex increases.

This pane controls the shipyard activity. Selecting a shipyard in the overview pane makes it active in this one.
  • Task Type controls what kind of activity the shipyard will engage in.
    • No activity means the shipyard is not actively changing capabilities. It may still be building ships.
    • Add extra slipway adds a new slipway to the yard with the yard's "Capacity Per Slipway" value. Cost: 120 BP, 60 Duranium and 60 Neutronium for each 500 tons of capacity to be added. Example: If the yard currently has a 1250 ton capacity per slipway, adding a new one will cost (1250 / 500 = 2.5) * 120 BP, 60 Duranium, 60 Neutronium = 300 BP, 150 Duranium, 150 Neutronium. Note that for commercial yards, capacity is divided by ten to calculate the cost.
    • Add X tons per slipway increases the capacity of each slipway at the shipyard. This has an associated cost: each 500 tons of expanded capacity costs 120 BP, 60 Duranium, and 60 Neutronium. Note that for commercial yards, capacity is divided by ten to calculate the cost.
    • Retool for Selected Class begins the process of converting the shipyard to be able to construct a different class of ships. A new combobox appears when this option is selected which contains all ship classes capable of being built at this yard (i.e., filtered by military vs commercial and by the tonnage of the ship design; ships too big to be built at this yard will not appear).
      • The BP cost to do this is C * (0.5 + 0.25 * n), where n is the number of slipways at the yard and C is either the build cost of the ship design to be tooled or the refit cost to refit from the currently tooled class to the target class, whichever is lower. The minerals required to do this are split between Duranium and Neutronium.
      • The first retooling of a shipyard is free and instant.
      • A yard that is tooled to build a certain ship class can build other classes if those classes are "similar enough" to the assigned class. "Similar enough" means that the cost to refit from the assigned class to the "extra" class is less than 20% of the cost of the assigned class in BP. For example: Say our Butte-class destroyer costs 200 BP. We tool a shipyard to build this class. We redesign the class after building a few, incorporating a new iteration of sensor and call it the Butte II-class. The refit cost between two designs is based on the level of difference between them. If the cost to refit a Butte-class destroyer to a Butte-II class destroyer is less than 40 BP, the yard assigned to build Butte-class destroyers will also be able to build Butte-II class destroyers without needing to retool. There are some nifty gamist tricks you can use to exploit this feature, but I won't be telling you about them.
      • If a yard is assigned to one class, and has active shipbuilding tasks of that class underway, retooling to a new class will not cancel those tasks and they will proceed normally. New shipbuilding tasks cannot be created until retooling is completed.
    • Continual capacity expansion uses the same material and build costs as the fixed-size expansions, but adds its new capacity in increments every construction cycle instead of in one lump at the end.

Build Cost describes the cost in BP listed above for the various activities. There is also an associated wealth cost equal to the cost in BP. Completion Date provides an estimate of the time it will take to complete the activity. Required materials lists the materials (minerals, generally) required for the activity.

As for the buttons, Set Activity sets the selected activity as active on the shipyard. Delete Activity cancels the current activity for the selected shipyard. Pause sets the activity to paused (to avoid consuming minerals, for example). Rename SY lets you manually rename the yard, and Auto-Rename names the yard after one of many real-life shipbuilding yards on today's Earth.

When deleting activities, some preserve partial completion (capacity expansion), and some don't (retooling or adding slipways). If an expansion activity is canceled, the percentage of completed activity is added as new capacity, rounding down to the nearest hundred tons. If adding 1000 tons of capacity, and canceling at 75% completion, then the shipyard gains 700 tons of capacity (1000 * 75% = 750 tons, rounded down to 700).

This pane controls shipyard tasks (i.e., shipbuilding tasks).

The buttons are somewhat straightforward: Add Task Adds the selected task with the configuration provided. Default Fleet sets the Task Group current selected in the Task Group combobox as the default for this shipyard, that will always be selected when the current shipyard is selected in the overview. Refit Details replaces the overview pane with a view that provides details on refitting ships between classes (and will be covered later). New Name picks a new name for a pending construction order ship from the ship design's associated class theme.

Task Types
Construction (image above)
Builds new ships of the class assigned to the yard.

• New Class selects the class of the ship to be constructed.
  • Ship Name allows entry of a name for the ship to be constructed.
  • Build Cost is the cost in BP and wealth to construct the new ship.
  • Create default names controls whether the Ship Name editbox is filled in when selecting the Construction task type. The default name consists of the ship's class and a three digit number, starting at 001.
  • Task Group is the task group to which the ship should be assigned once it has been built.
  • Completion Date is the estimated completion date of the task.
  • Required Materials are the materials required to construct the new ship.

Repair
Repairs any damaged ship as long as its size is within the capacity of the yard.

All is the same as Construction, except New Class doesn't appear, and:
  • Repair contains a list of classes of ships currently in orbit of the selected population.
  • Ship Name contains a list of ships in the class selected in Repair. Selecting a ship from this list will cause it to be the one repaired when Add Task is clicked.

Refit
Refits a ship from any class (as long as it is within the size capacity of the yard) to the class assigned to the yard.

All is the same as Construction, except :
  • New Class selects the class of the ship to be refit to.
  • Refit From contains a list of classes of ships currently in orbit of the selected population.
  • Ship Name contains a list of ships in the class selected in Refit From. Selecting a ship from this list will cause it to be the one refitted when Add Task is clicked.

Scrap
Destroys a ship and recovers some of the materials involved in its construction.
All is the same as Repair, except New Class doesn't appear, and:
  • Scrap contains a list of classes of ships currently in orbit of the selected population.
  • Ship Name contains a list of ships in the class selected in Scrap. Selecting a ship from this list will cause it to be the one scrapped when Add Task is clicked.

This tab of the Population and Production screen provides an overview of all shipyard tasks (construction, refitting, repair, scrapping, etc) taking place at this population.

At the top of the pane is a brief highlight of your empire's shipbuilding rate (calibrated for a 5000 ton ship) in build points per year, and the number of still available slipways at all yards associated with this population.

The buttons at the bottom allow the user to:
  • Delete Task cancels the task. I'm not sure what happens to the minerals involved in ship construction if a construction task is cancelled.
  • Pause Task pauses the task, allowing you to conserve the minerals and wealth that would be involved in its execution.
  • Higher and Lower Priority moves the ship up and down the priority queue. Higher priority tasks get first dibs on minerals (if your mining output isn't sufficient to cover all your shipbuilding tasks, for example).
  • Schedule replaces the overview pane with a delivery schedule for all shipyards in your empire.

The overview lists the following things:
  • Yard is the shipyard involved in the task.
  • Task is the task being executed.
  • Unit Name is the ship being constructed, refitted, repaired, or scrapped.
  • Progress is the amount of work already done on the task compared to the total required.
  • Assigned Task Group is the current task group of the ship for refitting, repairing, or scrapping, and the task group to assign a new ship to for construction.
  • Completion Date is the estimated date the task will be finished.
  • ABR is the adjusted build rate of the task (see below).
  • Priority is the priority of the task.

Commercial vs Military Shipyards
Commercial shipyards differ from naval shipyards in the following ways:
  • Commercial yards can only build commercial ships. Naval yards can build military or commercial ships.
  • The costs for shipyard expansion for commercial yards are one tenth the costs for naval yards.
  • Commercial yards require only one tenth the staffing of naval yards.
  • The modification rate for commercial yards (see below) is based on one tenth of their capacity.
  • The build rate for commercial ships is based on one quarter of their size (see below).

Shipbuilding Rates

An empire has a base shipbuilding rate that depends on a tech level. It can be increased by researching that tech line.

Larger ships are built at a faster rate than smaller ships, based on the formula:

Adjusted Build Rate = Base build rate * (1 + 0.5*(Size of ship (in HS) / 100 - 1)).

Note that a size 100 ship (5000 tons) is built at the base build rate. Ships larger than 5000 tons are built at a higher rate than the base build rate and ships smaller than 5000 tons are built at a lower rate.

Note that this doesn't mean that larger ships will be completed faster than smaller ships, as the time to build is calculated as Time to build (in years) = Build cost of ship / Adjusted build rate. Larger ships tend to have larger build costs.

The ABR is further modified by the existence of a planetary (and/or sector) governor's shipbuilding bonus.

The modification rate for shipyards is similarly calculated, with larger shipyards having larger modification rates than smaller shipyards. Adding extra capacity to a 15,000 ton capacity shipyard is done at twice the rate of a 5000 ton capacity shipyard, though the total time for a similar percentage increase should be the same.

The Shipyard Operations tech line reduces the time required to complete shipyard activities.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 6, 2013

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Ok, I'm pretty sure you guys have enough information to get progress time again. I will be advancing time at 10:00pm EST and posting the update tonight.

Here's how your orders are currently set:

The Versailles Naval Shipyard is still continuing to build capacity. The ISS yard (with its updated 10,000 capacity) is idle.

The research projects have been configured thus, but I can make any adjustments.

The configuration of the construction projects.

Your current mineral production and stockpiles. The orange lines are those for which projected usage for the year outstrips projected production. This might not be an issue though, as your TN mines begin coming online and ramping up production rates.

This will be the general format for pre-increment updates, so people can get in last minute changes to the orders if necessary. I want to generally keep things moving when I can, but in the beginning, we'll have to take it slow as I present new gameplay mechanics and information.

I'll try to post a Teams/Academy update today, and maybe a ground forces update.

Also, someone asked about foreign relations, and it would be best said that relations with the Federation are not great, and are deteriorating now that competition for the limited stocks of TNEs on Earth has arisen. No one is mobilizing or actively raising troops, but that could change very quickly if tempers flare. The situation post-Syria is similar to the situation post-Korea: A cold war that could go hot at any moment if the wrong words are said by the wrong people at the wrong time.

I'll do a diplomacy/foreign intelligence update relatively soon.

:siren: While brushing up on Aurora mechanics today, I realized that every production/research/shipbuilding/etc task in the game also costs wealth, usually equal to its cost in Build Points/Construction Points/whatever. I've gone back and edited the posts to reflect this, but wanted to point it out here as well.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 5, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Military Academies and Teams

This tab of the Population and Production tab allows you to create and modify teams. Teams are groups of in-game characters who perform a few different task. This tab also gives a bit of information about your military recruitment program.

The topmost part of this tab reveals info about your military academy on this colony. Academy Level is determined by the number of Military Academy installations on the colony. Officers Graduates Per Year is the number of in-game characters produced by this colony per year. It is equal to 5 * the Academy Level.

The right side of the pane gives details about your crewman and junior officer pool (CJO). The racial training level is a statistic of your empire, and can be changed on the Race Details screen (covered in a future update). For now, as a nascent spacefaring empire, we'll leave it at one. Crewmen and Junior Officers is the total number of academy-trained crewman and junior officers available throughout your entire empire. The UN started with 10000 and has produced 180 in the three months since we started. The number of crewman produced per year by each academy installation is 1000 / Racial Training Level, so right now, with one military academy, the UN produces 1000 crewmen per year. Crewmen enter the CJO pool with a stat called 'grade points.' The grade points they enter the pool with is 100 * Racial Training Level. Grade points determine the crew grade of a ship and will be covered when we finally get to talk about space boats.

When a ship is built, it is staffed with crew from the CJO pool. If there are not enough crew in the CJO pool to fully staff the ship, the remainder are conscripts. Conscripts are unlimited and have a crew grade of 0.

This portion of the tab simply lists commanders stationed at this colony. It does not count officers assigned to PDCs or Ships in orbit, unassigned commanders, or scientists. I suppose that leaves civ admins, teams assigned to a colony, and ground force commanders.

This pane enables the creation of teams. Team Type is the type of team to create (discussed below), and the larger listbox lists all commanders in your leadership corps who possess the required statistic for that team (those who do not have any rating in the required stat are not eligible to be on a team of that type). The small box next to the commander name is a checkbox. Checking that box adds the leader to the team to be created. The smaller editbox below lists the current command of the selected commander (if any) and his or her bonuses and ratings. This Population Only filters the commander listbox by those currently located at the population selected in the left pane of the Population and Production dialog. However, "located at" is a very loose term, since it excludes officers assigned to PDCs or ships in orbit. I will be leaving the box unchecked when presenting your team creation options, but I will still be ensuring that we're not "cheating" by creating teams from leaders located across the universe. Unassigned only filters the commander list to only those who have no command.

A team requires five commanders to be created, so after ticking five boxes, pressing Create Team will create the team and place it in the box below.

Once created, teams based at this colony will show up in the top left box. Clicking on a team will display its members in the bottom left Team Members box. Transfer to Ship allows moving a selected team to a ship in orbit of the colony by selecting a ship from the dropdown and pressing Transfer. Espionage Target sets the target for a selected espionage team (see below) when Activate is pressed. Eligible targets will be other populations on the same body as the espionage team (for example, the Eurasian Federation pop on Earth in this case).

Rename Team allows you to set the name of the team (it defaults to [Leader] [Task] Team, for example Floyd Bareilles Espionage Team). Disband Team cancels whatever task the team was assigned to do and returns the leaders to the pool of available leaders, so they can be reassigned elsewhere or to a new team.

Team Types

Espionage Teams
Espionage teams are used to gather information about the assets and capabilities of foreign empires. It represents everything from infiltration missions to signals intelligence to simply observing and investigating readily accessible information. (If an alien knew English, how much could it learn about our people through wikipedia?)

An espionage team generates espionage points (EP) equal to the team's espionage rating each year. If the foreign empire being spied on is a different species than the team, the EP/year rate is halved (its hard to blend in with a different species). The species of a team is determined by its commander. If communications haven't been established with the foreign empire, the points are further reduced by 80% (its hard to gather information if you can't understand their communication). Finally, if the target population is smaller than 10 million, the rate is reduced even further by multiplying by (population in millions / 10).

When the total number of points accumulated by the team exceeds 100, an espionage check is made in one of six areas:

• Technology: Attempts to gain information about a technology. There must be an eligible tech to steal from the race. An eligible tech is one for which you have all the prerequisites (i.e., you would be able to research it for yourself). If there's more than one such eligible tech, you get a random one. If there are no such techs, the check fails and you get nothing.
  • Missile: Attempts to gain construction blueprints for a missile design. If the check is successful, you become able to build the missile, but you cannot duplicate the technology involved in its design. If there is more than one alien missile design that you don't possess, you get a random one. If there are no such designs, the check fails and you get nothing.
  • Grav survey data: Attempts to get grav survey data for a system. The system must be one that both empires know about, but only the foreign empire has survey data for. If there's more than one such system, you get a random one. If there are no such systems, the check fails and you get nothing.
  • Geological survey data: Attempts to get geological data (mineral quantities and availabilities) for a system. The system must be one that both empires know about but only the foreign empire has flagged as surveyed. A system is flagged as surveyed when either all bodies have been surveyed, or when an automated survey fleet has found no eligible bodies to survey within 10b km. If there are multiple such systems, you get a random one. If there are no such systems, the check fails and you get nothing.
  • New System: Attempts to gain knowledge of new star systems. The system must be one that the foreign empire knows about but yours does not. If there are multiple such systems, you get a random one. When this check succeeds, you learn the system body information of the system, but no grav or geo survey data. If there are no such systems, you get nothing and the check fails.
  • Class Summary: Attempts to get summary information on a foreign ship design. You get information equivalent to the Class Summary tab on Class Design window (to be covered later). The class must be one for which you don't have complete summary information. If there is more than one such class, you get a random one. If there are no such classes, you get nothing and the check fails. If the class is one that you have partial knowledge of, your knowledge becomes complete and you learn the correct class name instead of your assigned reporting name.

Over time, there is a chance your spy team will be captured or killed. The chance of this happening is (150 - team rating) / 2, but there is always a 10% minimum chance. If the team is killed, they are gone forever. If the team is captured (33% chance if the capture/kill chance has already triggered), the foreign empire gets 1-100 espionage points.

You can also generate espionage points against a foreign empire by interrogating captured prisoners from that empire. Prisoners can be captured from life pods of destroyed or abandoned ships. You get 1 EP for every 10 crew you "rescue." Captured officers give EPs equal to the officer's rank cubed. These points do not suffer the different-species penalty that espionage teams do, but they do suffer the lack-of-comms penalty. Not being able to blend in with interrogated prisoners isn't a problem, but not being able to understand their tortured babblings is.

Diplomatic Teams
Diplomatic teams represent ambassadors, attaches, and other leaders who engage in diplomatic dialogue with foreign empires They will be covered in the foreign relations update.

Xenologist Teams
Xenologist teams are sent to examine alien ruins that you might find. They will be discussed when the necessity to do so arises.

Geologist Teams
Geology teams analyze the TNEs quantities and availabilities of bodies which have had a geological survey completed. They may find new deposits of previously nonexistent minerals, additional deposits of existing minerals, or increase the accessibility of an existing mineral.

Essentially, during every construction cycle (1 day), the team makes a mineral deposit check. The same mineral generation chances as during original system creation are used, modified by the geology team's survey rating and the proportion of a year they've been surveying. So over the course of a year, the team has a chance of generating a mineral deposit roughly equal to the original system generation chance times its rating / 100.

If a new mineral is generated (the generation check passes), then one is picked at random, though Duranium is twice as likely as any other mineral to be generated. The normal mineral generation process for that type of planet is executed, and if the new deposit is larger, the mineral quantity on the planet is set to that amount, keeping the existing accessibility. This represents finding additional deposits of an existing mineral. If the new deposit has a larger accessibility, the accessibility is changed to that value. This could mean that a smaller deposit is generated with a larger accessibility than the original deposit, in which case the quantity remains the same, but the accessibility changes.

If minerals are added to the planet or a deposit gets a higher accessibility, the team checks to see whether it is done. The percentage chance of finishing is 150 - team skill, with a minimum of ten. That is why the gamists in here suggested training up a geology team first and then using it to scout for minerals, since any team with a rating above 150 has the minimum 10% chance of completing.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 21st March 2026
Over the past two weeks, the UN has seen a new ground force commander graduate from the Academy. Additionally, Dr. Barrelfox was granted more command authority for his research endeavours.

Sorry about the 1 inactive research lab, the UN lost 5 days of RP from it. Chalk it up to bureaucratif inefficiency.

UN, 29th March 2025, 10:20 UDT

To: Secretary of United Nations Interplanetary Navy

Sir,

Approximately 20 minutes ago, a new 2MW thermal contact was detected departing LEO. Initial threat analysis seems to suggest a new Federation spacecraft, much larger than the civilian space agency craft. The contact was immediately forwarded to Fleet Headquarters for followup.

To: Secretary of the UNIN
RE: New Sensort Contact

Sir,

The contact, initial designation Krivak 002, appears to be able to make at least 117 km/s, indicating probable heavy use of TNE hull materials, as no pre-TNE spaceflight system was known to be capable of such speeds. Spectral analysis reveals no TNEs in her drive plume, indicating a non-TNE-based propulsion system. She's on a direct flight course for Luna at 117 km/s, ETA 00:34.

Contact designation has been turned over to CDR Jaramr for reporting name assignment.

What are your orders?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

With the director of defense deciding to take no firm action, every eye in the UN's deep space tracking stations remain glued on the contact blip of the Federation craft.

Within the hour, the craft's signature changes slightly as it appears to enter orbit of the moon and performs various orbital maneuvers. Six hours later, its signature disappears from UN sensors entirely, either shutting down its engines or being destroyed.

A further three hours later, at 19:55 UDT, an unencrypted video stream begins to be broadcast from the moon. UN Intelligence analysts immediately begin screening it and providing a live feed to the UNEC, but it proves unnecessary, as every major Federation media outlet is also running the feed.

Federation News Feed, 29th March 2025, 19:55 UDT
A group of space-suited figures mill around in what looks like the interior of an airlock. With one person holding the camera, there appear to be four others involved. After one of the cosmonauts, whose suit bears the rank insignia of a Federation Navy Captain, works some controls next to the airlock, a hiss is heard and then all goes silent. The airlock door opens and revealed beyond is the pristine grey plains of the lunar landscape.

The cosmonauts file out, the one with the camera going second in order to be able to film the Captain setting foot on Luna. They spend a few minutes exulting in the low lunar gravity, before the Captain turns to the camera man, presses a button on his suit's wrist console, and a deep voice begins to speak in Russian. (A English translation follows half a second later).

"People of the Federation of European and Asian Nations, I am Kapitan Tamryn Fedotov, of the FEK Sledopeyt and today I address you from the face of the moon. It has been fifty-three years since a human being last set foot on the moon. Today, in the name of the Federation of European and Asian Nations, I declare that humanity has returned to the moon and shall never let such a time period lapse again. We come in peace, for the love of knowledge and to glory in the triumph of the Federation.

Millions of people were involved in this project, and it is my fondest dream that they will one day soon be able to share this view themselves. With every man, woman, and child of the Federation of European and Asian Nations working together in harmony and trust, I believe that dream will come true before much longer.

Today is the first step in man's journey to the stars, and we will ensure that every citizen of the Federation of European and Asian Nations is along with us for every step.

Good night and glory to the Federation. Fedotov out."

The camera continues to run for the next two hours, documenting the scientific activities of the five man shore party. The camera man takes care never to point the camera directly at the landing craft, so only tiny glimpses of it are seen. After two hours, the men begin to head back for their conveyance, and the broadcast terminates.

Three hours later at 00:55 UDT on 30th March 2025, the Federation craft's thermal signature returns to the deep space tracking station's screens, as the ship departs lunar orbit, departing in the direction away from the sun and in the general direction of Mars. At 02:25 UDT, the ship's signature becomes too faint for the DSTS to maintain a contact and it disappears from sensors.

To: Director of Defence
RE: Federation Ship

Sir,

Given the last known vector of the Federation craft, it is estimated the ship is making for Mars at its best speed. At that velocity, it will arrive at Mars in approximately 7 days, 20 hours. However, it could change course at any time without our knowledge, since it has such a small signature and is beyond the range of our tracking system.

I was going to advance time to the next milestone, but I wanted to give you all time to address this latest development. You're right in that there's not a lot of things you can directly do right now, but maybe it changes your diplomatic stance or future planning. I will be out of town until Sunday afternoon EST, and will make further updates then.

Asehujiko posted:

Signing up as a Naval Commander, in charge of a missile base somewhere.

Done.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

The_White_Crane posted:

So, since I think we still have a couple of slots left, please sign me up as a naval commander of some podunk ICBM base!

Done.

Ynkling posted:

CC: UNEC, Spacebook contacts
RE: The Moon

There appears to be very little UN effort involved for getting a base on the moon with this plan. I'm ordering a feasibility study to be made on this by people who know what they're doing (Not Mr. Farecoal).

To: UN Science Administration, Department of Research and Development
RE: The Moon

TNEs have made a moon colony a far more practicable endeavour than was the situation before the discovery of Trans-Newtonian physics.

All that would be required is infrastructure (current estimates figure a ratio of 9,175 tonnes of colonization infrastructure per million inhabitants), a ship with a cargo hold capable of carrying infrastructure, and a ship with a passenger accommodation module. If we invest research resources into cryogenic storage techniques, we could vastly ramp up colonization efforts.

Since you guys seem content to wait for your tech research to finish, I advance time some more.

UN, 9th April 2025, 18:15 UDT

RE: Federation Contact

Sirs, it would appear the Federation craft moved to Mars as predicted. We're picking up what seems to be a location/identification transponder. This has to be an intentional move on their part, as their space tracking system is likely no more advanced than our own, and they must know we cannot passively or actively detect their craft at that range. They're letting us know that their ship has made it Mars. Interestingly, at their last known vector, they likely made Mars orbit sometime yesterday and have waited until now to activate their public transponder.

Foreign News, 9th April 2025
At 19:15 UDT, Federation media outlets begin broadcasting live footage of what appears to be the crew of their exploration craft performing exploration activities on the surface of Mars. Prominently displayed is an image of the Federation flag being raised on the surface.

An accompanying statement from Kapitan Tamryn Fedotov reads, "In 1957, the former Union of Soviet Socialist Republic placed the first man-made object in the orbit of the Earth. In 1961, that same nation launched the first human into space. That legacy continues today, sixty-four years later. The Federation of European and Asian Nations plants this flag in the name of all humankind, extending the domain of humanity to this, the Red Planet, Mars. This is but the first step on our outward journey. There will be many more days like today in the coming years, as the Federation of European and Asian Nations visits the varied worlds of our solar system, reaffirming our mission of peace and exploration."

The Federation spends five days broadcasting from the surface before the transponder contact winks off.

All ships are equipped with transponders. When switched on, all empires, regardless of hostility, are given the location and speed of the ship. Civilian ships, by default, leave their transponders on at all times.

UN, 14th April 2025, 19:20 UDT

At 19:20 UDT, the Federation craft switched off its transponder and became invisible to us once again. Based on its past actions and current solar system planetary locations, we suspect that it will make for Jupiter, and will make planetfall there in approximately 61 days. We agree with CMDR SPERMCUBE.ORG's analysis of the capabilities of this craft, and believe it possesses mostly propaganda and morale capabilities for the Federation. We also believe it is unlikely to be delivering TNE survey teams to its destinations, as they would require a preliminary geological sensor survey that the ship seems unlikely to possess the capabilities for.

Domestic News, 14th April 2025
UN-affiliated astronomers and planetary geologists today lambasted the UN Executive Council for allowing the Federation to jump to the forefront of planetary science capabilities. Long having to rely on robot probes for planetary exploration, the group is lobbying hard for the UN to develop its own manned exploration craft.

UN, 17th May 2025, 07:11 UDT

Today at 07:11 UDT, the Federation craft transponder became active again, in the vicinity of an asteroid categorized as #74. We believe that this asteroid has no particular significance, other than that it was on the general path between Mars and Jupiter and presented a science opportunity. The asteroid orbits the sun at a distance of around 3.2AU. It has a diameter of about 60km. Presuming the ship resumes its journey to Jupiter, it should make planetfall there in a further 30 days.

Foreign News, 17th May 2025
Federation media outlets begin broadcasting footage of Federation cosmonauts performing science activities on the surface of the asteroid. Kapitan Fedotov makes a similar speech as at Mars. The footage continues for approximately three hours before the transponder shuts off again.

UN, 21st-26th May 2025

An internal review released to the UNEC on May 21st reveals that CMDR Vander has improved his training efficiency. A new academy graduate joins the UNIN leadership corps on the 26th.

UN, 17th May 2025, 07:11 UDT

Today at 18:19 UDT, the Federation craft's transponder became active again, apparently in orbit around Jupiter itself.

Foreign News, 20th June 18:19
Federation media outlets begin broadcasting live footage of the clouds of Jupiter, superior to that produced by any remote probe that had visited the largest planet before. Over the next several weeks, the footage continues unabated as the ship moves about the Galilean satellites, landing crew on each and raising the Federation flag.

UN, 22nd June 2025, 19:19 UDT

RE: Federation Contact(s)

Sirs, the Federation has launched a new craft with the same signature as the first Krivak-class vessel. It has broken Earth orbit and appears to be heading in the direction of Saturn. Assuming identical functionality to the first Krivak-class vessel, it should be en route for nearly 150 days. We expect loss of contact with the vessel at a range of approximately 500,000 km.

UN, 3rd July 2025

The first six-month tour of duty comes to an end, and the UN military forces reassign their commanders. Some remain in their previous billets, others receive new commands. The most significant change is the assignment of CMDR DagPenge as the new Fleet Headquarters Communications Staff Officer.

:siren:Check your commander screenshots. If your missile complex was named by you during the last tour of duty, and you've moved to a new one, you can name the new one (something different from the first one). Ground force commanders are still welcome to nickname their commands, but none of the ones so-far named have changed.

UN, 8th July 2025

With the Federation's push into space, a United Nations Demographic Polling Service poll of a random selection of UN member nation citizens showed that more than 50% of those polled considered the Federation as an "enemy" or hostile. A similar internal poll of UN administrators, diplomats, and other staff reflected a similar sentiment.

In Aurora, diplomatic relations are always deteriorating if diplomatic relations are not established. I'll do the diplomacy update tomorrow, but there's little you can do, with only three available leaders with diplomatic bonuses. Besides, since neither the UN nor the Federation are NPRs, no automatic combat will occur because of this anyway. The only noticeable effect is that all Fed contacts on the system map have turned red.

UN, 8th July 2025, 04:08 UDT

RE: Federation Contact(s)

Sirs, the Krivak-class ship (Krivak 002) in orbit around Jupiter's moon Callisto has switched off its transponder. With Krivak 003 apparently making for Saturn, and Neptune and Pluto being on the same side of the sun as Saturn, we have no good reason to speculate that Krivak 002 will make for that side of the system. We are forced to admit that we will not be able to discern its intentions until it reactivates its transponder or reappears on the DSTS.

UN, 14th July 2025

To: UN Science Administration, Department of Research and Development
RE: Research completed

Dr. MagicBoots has released his report on his research with duranium armor. His results are already being studied and implemented by our ship design specialists, and shipyard armor manufacturies are ready to provide armor for duranium-hulled craft. The report also indicates further avenues of investigation.

Research Unlocked
Defensive Systems
  • High Density Duranium Armour Cost: 2500 RP Description: Armour is used for the hull of all ships. Following on from his development of the first practical Duranium armors, Dr. MagicBoots theorizes that while duranium itself does not exhibit the ICEF effect, applying a strong ICEF field force to cooling tempered duranium may compress the material into a higher density format, allowing better protection for a reduced amount of material.

State of the UN, 8th July 2025

Industry

Mining

Shipyards

Research

Note that there are four unassigned labs.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 9, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

The_White_Crane posted:

Isn't that alteration actually making the game less realistic though?
I thought that at the moment, the problem with long-term lunar colonisation was that humans can't deal with the prolonged low-gravity environment (if they ever want to go home again)...
Not that I'm saying 'OMG hard sci-fi, etc.', but so far Aurora seems comparatively careful in its breaks from reality, whereas this seems a little arbitrary.

Being able to colonize 15 or so worlds in the Sol system is a little better than being able to colonize just Mars and Titan. It opens up the game a bit and lets the two factions potentially squabble over mining rights.

DagPenge posted:

TO: UNEC

Also this is kinda wierd, but I could not locate any manual on if I have any special responsibilities towards your guys, maybe it's because the position is so new and nobody bothered to write one yet. Please advice

Right now the Fleet HQ Comms Staff Officer has no metagame role. It's just an in-game thing for now.

Edit: Steve just posted a bunch of new changes for 5.70, and some of them would be pretty useful in a game with multiple Earth empires at game start (like freezing diplomatic relations so they don't automatically deteriorate, having empires already know each other and how to communicate, etc). I might make a go of trying to port our game to 5.70 once it is released.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 9, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Vander posted:

(A couple of questions: What does Training Rating mean and do personality Traits mean anything in game?)

The ratings are all discussed in the leadership update. Traits have no in-game effect. Feel free to RP them or not.

The particulars of Crew and Ground Force training will be covered in due time.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Diplomacy and Foreign Intelligence

The diplomacy/foreign relations screen is accessible from a few different places in Aurora. From the main menu bar, it's in Empires->Diplomacy Intelligence (Ctrl+F5). From the System Map buttonbar, either the grey alien head (Diplomacy) or the compass (Intelligence on Alien Classes) will open this screen (they used to be separate functions, but the foreign intelligence tabs were moved to the diplomacy screen at some point).

The Alien Race combobox contains a list of all alien races that you have ever detected on sensors. Apparently, in Aurora, each race gives off a distinctive signature that allows them to be differentiated from other races. There is no way to spoof this and pretend to be a ship from another race. (For narrative reasons, this might get overlooked).

The Abbrev field contains a three-or-four-letter abbreviation to represent the Empire on various screens in the game (particularly contacts). Class Theme lets you pick one of the in-game themes for this race, such that new classes of ships that you detect get automatically picked from this list. "Krivak" is the first class on the Russian theme, so it is what got picked both when I designed that class as the Fed, and when a new contact was assigned when the UN first detected one. I have since removed the class theme, so it will randomly pull a name from ANY theme.

Delete Race removes the race entirely from the game, if in SM mode. Rename Race renames the race AS SEEN BY YOUR EMPIRE. So we could rename it to "Dirty Reds" if we wanted (though I have to note that of the Federation member nations, only China is technically communist, so you guys throwing around the "drat commies" rhetoric is hella amusing).

These five buttons control the colors of contacts of various affiliations on the System Map screen. Clicking one of the buttons brings up a color picker dialog that allows setting the color for that threat level. We will leave them at default unless you deem they need changed.

The first box contains the species image for the selected empire. In this case, its the same as our picture, since both empires are composed of humans. The second box contains the selected empire's flag image.

Initiate Communication attempts to make meaningful contact with the selected empire if none has yet been established. Think the scene from
Independence Day when the helicopter flashes its lights at the bad guy spaceships. Different species have different communication forms, although this is not indicated anywhere in-game. First Contact indicates the date the species was first detected on sensors. Full Communication Established is the date when the species were able to fully communicate. Current Diplomatic Rating (DR) for this Race is our view of the selected empire. This rating controls what treaties we can set with respect to them.

:siren:I'll say it again because it's important. Each empire has a DR for every empire it knows about, and it is not necessarily the same as that empire's DR for them. I.e., our DR towards the Federation is not the same as the Federation's DR toward us. Similarly, the Treaties set by Alien Race details the things they allow us to do. In this screenshot, this means that they consider us Neutral, do not grant us Trade Access, do not share Research with us, and do not share either survey type with us. If both our DRs were sufficiently high, it is entirely possible that they'd grant us all those things, and we'd still not grant them. :siren:Treaties are not bidirectional.

Assign Diplomatic Team contains a dropdown that lists all available diplomatic teams you have put together. When one is selected in the dropdown, Current Assignment displays the empire they are currently engaging in diplomacy with, if any. Pressing assign will assign them to engage in diplomacy with the empire selected at the top of the diplomacy screen.

Known Species and Environmental Tolerances contains a list of species belonging to the selected empire (an empire can contain more than one species, if one is conquered by another, for example). The lower boxes contain the actual tolerances of the selected species. I'm not sure what the right hand box contains, and I think the only way to get these boxes to contain anything is to capture prisoners of the selected empire, which is kind of annoying for a multi-empire Earth start.

These are the available treaties that we set allowing them to do things. Right now we have them set as neutral, are not allowing their traders to trade with us, are not sharing survey data with them, and are not sharing research with them. Most of these options are greyed out because we don't have the requisite DR to activate them. The treaties each contain their own descriptions right on the dialog, unlike basically every other UI element in the game.

Diplomacy

When two empires first make contact, their respective DRs are set to a value of 0 minus a random number between 1 and the empire's Xenophobia rating. (The rating for an empire is the rating of the dominant species in the empire and any governmental Xenophobia modifier. Both empires in the game right now are listed as Player Race and have no governmental modifier. The base Xenophobia modifier for humans is 67, for whatever reason). Therefore, the DR starts as negative for both empires, though it is different for each based on the random factor.

Establishing Communication

When an attempt is made to initiate conversation with an alien race, their communication (verbal, somatic, tonal, etc) types are compared to get an initial modifier between -25 and +25. Each species has an associated translation skill, and the higher of the two is added to the initial modifier. During each construction cycle, a check is made to see whether communications attempts are successful. Each positive effort adds a bonus to the next check. Negative efforts add a penalty to further checks. Over time, efforts will eventually succeed and communication will be established.

Increasing DR
  • The diplomacy rating of a foreign diplomatic team is added to your DR for a race (your opinion of them) over the course of the year. NPRs will create teams and assign them to your empire. If we created a team and assigned it to the Federation, it would increase their opinion of us.
  • During attempts to initiate communication, positive efforts add between 1 and 10 to DR rating instantly.
  • 10 DR is granted instantly when communication is established.
  • If they have granted us trade access, our DR for them goes up by 100 per year.
  • If they share research with us, our DR for them goes up by 200 per year.
  • If they share geological survey data with us, our DR for them goes up by 100 per year.
  • If they share gravitational survey data with us, our DR for them goes up by 100 per year.
  • If they view us as friendly, our DR for them goes up by 100 per year.
  • If they view us as Allied, our DR for them goes up by 200 per year.

Decreasing DR
  • Our Xenophobia rating is deducted from our DR toward them over the course of a year.
  • If communication has not yet been established, our DR toward them decreases by 100 per year.
  • Each point of damage inflicted on us by an empire reduces our DR toward them by the amount of the damage. Internal damage doubles the effect.
  • If an empire bombards one of our colonies, 200% of the damage is instantly deducted from our DR toward that empire.
  • If an empire's ship is on our active sensors, our DR toward that empire goes down by 10% of the contact size in hull spaces. For the purposes of this rule, we would ignore freighters if we grant trade access to that empire, and we would ignore all ships from empires we consider friendly or allied. (Note, this apparently doesn't apply to races set as Player Race, so those Krivaks running around aren't hurting our DR on either side.)

If an empire attacks us, all treaties we have set toward them are cancelled, and our DR toward that empire is set to -150 if it is larger than that.

DR Requirements for Treaties
  • Neutral Military Status: -100 DR
  • Friendly Military Status: 800 DR
  • Allied Military Status: 4000 DR
  • Trade Access: 200 DR
  • Share Geological Survey Data: 800 DR
  • Share Gravitational Survey: 2400 DR
  • Share Research Data: 6000 DR

Foreign Tactical Intelligence

This tab of the Diplomacy and Intelligence screen allows a central location to keep track of known alien ship classes.

The Alien Race Ship Classes combo box contains a list of all classes for the selected empire that have ever been detected on any kind of sensors. The Sensor Data block lists information about the class picked up from our sensors.

• Cross Section is the signature of the ship when detected by active sensors. It is related to the Estimated Tonnage of the ship.
  • Thermal Signature is the amount of energy put out by the ship's drives.
  • Observed and Estimated Speed are how fast we've seen the ship go, and how fast we think it can go based on other sensor data. Ships operating at less than full speed can fool this reading if only detected on thermal sensors.
  • Shield Strength and Recharge Rate are determined by EM detection.
  • Armor is detected by damaging the ship but not penetrating the armor.
  • ECM is detected by the ship jamming missiles and other targeting electronics.
  • Est. Jump Dist is how far away from a jump point that a ship will appear.

The Weapon and Sensor Data pane lists known weapons and sensors on the class. These are usually determined by being fired upon, painted with a sensor, or finding components in wrecks. Stolen ship class information will also fill this in.

This pane lists all known members of the class as well as:

• Last Contact lists the last known contact of the ship or PDC.
  • System indicates the location of the last known contact.
  • Name is the name of the individual contact.
  • Speed is the last known velocity of the contact.
  • Shields indicates the shield status of the last known contact.
  • Thermal indicates the thermal signature of the last known contact.

The buttons at the bottom allow control over this information.

• Rename Class renames the entire class without renaming the individual members.
  • Rename Ship renames an individual member of the class.
  • Renum Ships renames all members of the class with (Classname) (Number).
  • Reset clears all observational data for this class.
  • Delete Class resets your tactical intelligence to a state that has never detected this class.

The middle tab Class Design Summary will list the full or partial design summary of the class. Partial summaries come from salvaging wrecks. Full summaries can be stolen by espionage teams.

The last tab All Active Contacts for this Empire lists information about all enemy ships that are currently detected by active sensors.

Strategic Intelligence

This pane details all the Known Star Systems that we know the other empire knows about, either through the fact that we've observed their ships in those systems, or by stealing the system information from them via espionage.

Known Tech Systems are all the technologies that we know the alien race knows about, either through salvaging components from their wrecks or stealing their technologies from them via espionage.

Edit: Also, because its stupid, I am using SM to set established communications between the Fed and UN as of right now.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 10, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

All people who have signed up or changed their base name have been handled and leader images updated.

To: Mr. Triskelli
RE: Ship Designs

Sir, in order to accommodate your ship designs, we put out a call for an appropriate engine. After a first round of bidding, we decided on a proposal by Pratt and Whitney:

code:
Pratt and Whitney 2500C-E10
Power Output: 2.5     Explosion Chance: 1     Efficiency: 0.1    Thermal Signature: 2.5
Engine Size: 25 HS    Engine HTK: 1

The ships as designed would be limited to operation within Earth's orbit, out to the radius of the moon. Anything further would risk the ships not being able to catch up with Earth's own orbital velocity.

The prototype has already been constructed; all that is required is a couple weeks to fast track it through the feasibility and man-rating procedures. We believe that a team like that of Dr. MagicBoots, utilizing the currently idle research facilities could complete the testing by 2nd August, and the ship designs could be finalized then.

To: Department of Research and Development
Re: Research Facilities

Your proposed plan (adding the idle facilities to Drs. Slaan and Barelfox's projects), would have the following effect.

Once this decision is made we can advance time until research is complete.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 10, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 19th July, 2025 04:00 UDT

From: United Nations, Department of Internal Security (UNDIS)
Re: Enemy Espionage Ring

Sirs, today a team of UNDIS counter-operatives engaged in a covert action to shake out a suspected Federation espionage ring operating in Geneva. We were unfortunately unable to take any of the suspected enemy agents alive.

Didn't expect this to happen. I'll let you guys brew over this, then we can try to advance time again tomorrow.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 29th July 2025

CMDR Vander's constant work in the simulators has paid off, as he is now a more effective combat task force commander.

UN, 3rd August 2025

To: Mr. Triskelli
Re: Ship Designs

With the completion of shakedown testing for the new Pratt and Whitney rocket, we've gone ahead and drawn up plan for the two ship designs you asked for.

code:
York class Freighter    9,350 tons     103 Crew     109.5 BP      TCS 187  TH 8  EM 0
42 km/s     Armour 1-39     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 7    Max Repair 5 MSP
Cargo 5000    

Pratt and Whitney 2500C-E10 (3)    Power 2.5    Fuel Use 10%    Signature 2.5    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 94.5 billion km   (26041 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Materials Required: €109.5 million, 109.5 BP, 83.25 tonnes of Duranium, 5 tonnes of Corbomite, 10 tonnes of Mercassium, 11.25 tonnes of Gallicite.
Base build time: 133 days.
The York-class freighter is just as designed. At its best speed, it can make the Earth-Moon trip in a little over two and a half hours. With no in-built cargo-handling facilities and no ground-based support, the York-class can be fully loaded or unloaded in a little over two days.

code:
Galicia class Passenger Cruiser    6,800 tons     198 Crew     192 BP      TCS 136  TH 8  EM 0
58 km/s     Armour 1-31     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 18    Max Repair 5 MSP
Passengers 250    

Pratt and Whitney 2500C-E10 (3)    Power 2.5    Fuel Use 10%    Signature 2.5    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 130.5 billion km   (26041 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Materials required: €192 million, 192 BP, 90.75 tonnes of Duranium, 5 tonnes of Corbomite, 85 tonnes of Mercassium, 11.25 tonnes of Gallicite.
Base build time: 260 days.
The Galicia-class passenger transport is slightly modified from the original design. One of our engineers ran a cost-benefit analysis, and discovered that by adding another engine, the vessel's speed could be increased by 28%, for only a 5% build cost increase. The build time remains unchanged due to the increased scale of the vessel. The Galicia-class can make the Earth-Moon journey in about 1:50. It should also be able to make the Earth-Mars trip, though the time required depends on Solar system geometry.

The International Space Station shipbuilding facilities are fully geared to begin producing either design, but once the decision is made to produce one or the other, retooling for the non-chosen design will take some time and materials. We recommend tooling for the York first, since the retooling for the Galicia will be cheaper and faster and can be started as soon as construction on the first York is completed.

If nothing else, the York will be able to transport many units of infrastructure to Luna while the Galicia is building, or while civilian yards build members of either class. Once some infrastructure and civilians are on the colony, civilian shipping may take over its expansion.

To: UN Department of Research and Development
RE: Facility Availability

Sir, with Dr. MagicBoots's completion of his work on the new Pratt and Whitney engine, we again have four available institutions. With completion of the reactor project by Dr. Slaan and the geo sensors by Dr. Barrelfox imminent (about 13 days from now), we'd like to know your intentions for these labs. Assigning them to the current projects would only push their completion forward a couple of days, which we don't feel is significant enough to warrant their utilization in that fashion.

I reassigned the narrative value of a 'wealth' in game from €1 billion to €1 million, since that seems to give more reasonable costs for things. I edited the population summary update. I also defined the available "wealth" of the UN as that available for discretionary spending, not its total GDP. The UN creates about €50 billion per year, and has over €123 billion in reserve right now.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 10, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Triskelli posted:

(bgreman)

While I've got your ear, can I get a brief report of any established civilian companies (Trade Routes) that are interested in space? Just names, numbers, and wealth of those companies should be enough.

berryjon posted:

How fast can the York Class get to Mars/Titan, if it can?

Depending on system geometry, the York-class can make the Earth-Mars trip in 104 days when on opposite sides of the sun and in 22 days when on the same side of the sun.

As for Titan, the trip would take 350 days when on the same side of the sun, and 435 days when on opposite sides of the sun. Trips to the outer system are not advised with these conventionally powered vessels.

Puistokemisti posted:

I'm also advocating that after the new reactor technology and the geo-survey system have been finalized, we concentrate our efforts into minituarizing the reactor to allow our ships to use it, so that we can begin our ascend to stars. Afterwards, the research should focus on Offensive, Defensive and Logistic projects.

TO: UN Department of Resource Acquisition
RE: Reactor Technology

We anticipate that the PWR technology will be mature enough to begin designing ship-borne reactor systems immediately. Further research will be required to investigate the application of the new reactor systems to engine technology for ships and missiles.

Mikl posted:

Just a small note, it's Comiso and not Cosimo ;)

Whoops, fixed.

Mikl posted:

To: ALL

:words: about The Outer Space Treaty and Moon Treaty

To: CMDR Mikl, CO Missile Complex Comiso
Re: Space Treaties

The only relevant treaty is the Outer Space Treaty, which entered into force on October 10, 1967. No other outer space proscription treaties have ever been signed or ratified by any major space-faring nation (with the interesting exception of India, which signed --but did not ratify-- the Moon Treaty of 1979).

The OTS makes the following summarized proscriptions:

• Article I states that the exploration and utilization of space is done for the benefit of all mankind, and that all areas of all celestial bodies shall have free (libre not gratis) access to all states.
  • Article II states that no state may make a claim of sovereignty over any part of any celestial body.
  • Article III states that outer space activities will be conducted in accordance with international law, including with the Charter of the United Nations.
  • Article IV prohibits any state from placing into orbit any object carrying nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction. It also states that no state may establish any type of military installation on any part of any celestial body.
  • Article V gives special protections to astronauts engaged in space exploration activities and compels states to provide assistance to astronauts in danger, and return them to their home state upon rescue.
  • Article VI compels member states to take responsibility for space activities conducted by citizens of that state, whether those actions are performed by a governmental agency or not. States are required to authorize and supervise all non-governmental space-based activities perpetrated by their citizens.
  • Article VII makes states liable for any damages incurred on another state by the former state's space activities or objects.
  • Article VIII states that a state that launches an object into space retains control and jurisdiction over that object.
  • Article IX stipulates that the principle of co-operation should be paramount where all space-based activities are concerned, including international consultation on space-based activities.
  • Article X gives states the right to petition to observe the space-based activities of other states, and urges the states performing the activities to consider the request under a condition of equality.
  • Article XI requires states to inform the UN Secretary-General to the greatest extent feasible of any planned space-based activities.
  • Article XII gives states the right to visit or inspect the space-based installations of other states if proper notification and procedure is followed.
  • Article XIII states that the treaty applies regardless of whether the activities are carried out by a single state or an inter-governmental association of states.
  • Articles XIV - XVII are procedural articles that discuss the signing and ratification of the treaty.

The interesting one is Article III, which stipulates that outer space activities be conducted in accordance with international law, including the Charter of the United Nations. Since the nations of the Federation of European and Asian Nations no longer subscribe to the UN Charter, they are not bound by its terms, though they are still parties to many international law agreements. Moreover, the UN itself isn't bound by that UN Charter, as the 2nd UN Charter overrides any provisions of the first.

The individual member nations of the UN and the Federation are still parties to the Outer Space Treaty. According to article XIII, the UN and the Federation, as supragovernmental entities, are also required to abide by its provisions. This is a tricky legal issue, and either side could use this fact as recourse to disobeying the provisions of the Outer Space Treaty.

As for enforceability, in the past, violations of the treaty would have been brought before the UN in some capacity. It is unlikely that the Federation would abide by any ruling the UN made on a Federation violation of the treaty, and vice versa, making the enforceability suspect.

It is also important to note that the Outer Space Treaty does not ban weapons in space, only weapons of mass destruction.

In my capacity as legal counsel, I advise that a new bipartite treaty be drafted, similar to the one proposed by Lord Windy, and presented to the Federation as superceding the Outer Space Treaty when it comes to UN and Federation space activities.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 10, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

What I'm waiting on now is two things:

1) Is the commercial shipyard going to be tooled for either design and if so, is construction going to start on a ship of that design?

2) What should the idle research labs do?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 3rd August 2025

The keel of the first fully UN-owned ship, the UNS York, is laid down at the ISS Shipyard, which had been preparing to tool for it for some weeks. Completion of construction and space trials is estimated for mid-December. Conversion to tooling for the Galicia-class passenger transport will take 216 days.

Let me know if you want me to set the ISS yard to begin retooling for the Galicia-class. That can be done even while the York is building.

Meanwhile, four of the UN's top research institutions, under the leadership of Dr. Eumenides, begins work on large-scale cryogenic transport.

UN, 8th August 2025

A magna cum laude graduate of the UN's military academy joins the command officer ranks today.

Officers entering the game are flagged with New Officer, Promising New Officer or Exceptional New Officer depending on their initial promotion score. This officer's 755 is really high for a new officer. It is also our 24th commander, meaning one of them will be promoted shortly.

UN, 17th August 2025

Dr. Slaan's research into ship-borne pressurized water reactors and Dr. Barrelfox's investigation of geological survey sensors finally come to fruition. Dr. Slaan's work has revealed several interesting avenues of exploration.

PWRs generate 2 MW per hull space. Further reactor tech increases this ratio, and also serves as the basis for further engine techs as described in the Engine Design update.

Research Unlocked
Power and Propulsion

• Nuclear Thermal Engine Technology Cost: 2500 RP, €2.5 billion. Description: Base engine technology for engine component designs. Provides 5 power per HS of engine. By utilizing TNE-salted pressurized water reactors to heat ReSor and vent it through an exhaust, nuclear thermal engines can provide up to five times more thrust than the best conventional rocket engines.
  • Pebble Bed Reactor Technology Cost: 3000 RP, €3 billion. Description: Base technology used for creation of power plants. Pre-requisite tech for nuclear pulse engines. Using duranium and boronide as part of the structural layers of a TRISO or QUADRISO fuel in a pebble bed reactor allows for greater amounts of fuel to be packed into a smaller space, increasing the energy density of the reactor compared to more conventional designs.

Power Plant Design

Power plants in Aurora are used to generate power needed to fire beam weapons (energy weapons and railguns; gauss cannons do not require reactors).

Power Plant Technology is the type of power plant to build. It determines the power / hull space ratio and the cost / hull space.

Power vs. Efficiency is the same tech as for Engines. A power increase setting here increases the output of the reactor at the expense of a higher explosion chance upon a hit. I don't know what the "efficiency" refers to, since as far as I know, power plants consume no fuel. I think it's just to be able to reuse the same tech from Engines.

Size is the size in hull spaces of the reactor. The total Power Output of a reactor is Power Output per hull space (which is a constant for each type of reactor) times size in hull spaces. Everything else is also multiplied by the size: cost, crew, required materials, and development cost.

Example Reactor:

code:
Pressurised Water Reactor PB-1
Power Output: 2     Explosion Chance: 5
Reactor Size: 1 HS    Reactor HTK: 1
Cost: 6    Crew: 5
Materials Required: 1.5x Duranium  5x Neutronium  4.5x Boronide

Development Cost for Project: 60RP
Additionally, a joint UNIN-UNSA task force has created a design for a remote geological survey probe based in anticipation of these new capabilities.

Missile Design

Missile design is complicated, with a lot of fiddling with numbers to get what you want.

The Empire dropdown, like most others, selected the empire that is designing this missile. The Missile Type radio button selects whether we are designing a missile, a drone (a slower, more fuel-efficient missile with fixed agility), or a buoy (a "missile" with no engines, but with reactors, that can be dropped or deployed as the second stage of a drone or missile. A buoy's reactors allow it to stay active where it is deployed, compared to missile and drones, which self-destruct when they run out of fuel).

This dropdown allows selecting any previously designed missile that is not marked obsolete. Doing so will fill in all the component values to be the same as those for that missile design. This can be useful when you want to update a missile design because your tech has improved, but you want to maintain the same proportion of components as the prior design.

This gridview contains a condensed listing of all your current technologies concerning missiles. Unlike other player-designed systems, you don't have an option of which tech generation to use when designing a missile. You are forced to always use the latest tech.

• Warhead Strength per MSP gives the amount of damage the warhead is capable of doing for each missile size point (MSP) you invest in the warhead.
  • Missile Engine Power per MSP gives the amount of power per engine MSP that the missile will have. It is currently at zero because we have not researched any missile engine technologies. Recall that each regular engine technology has an associated missile engine tech that is unlocked when the engine tech and the prior missile engine tech have both been researched.
  • Drone Engine Power per MSP gives the amount of power per engine MSP that the drone will have. This is separate from the missile engine rating because drones are slower. Each missile engine tech has a corresponding drone engine tech that is unlocked when the missile engine tech and the prior drone engine tech are researched. Conventional empires start with Nuclear Thermal Drone engine technology for whatever reason (probably so we don't have to research four techs to be able to launch survey probes: Pressurized Water Reactor, Nuclear Thermal Engine, Nuclear Thermal Missile Engine, Nuclear Thermal Drone Engine).
  • Missile Agility per MSP gives the amount of agility the missile has for each MSP invested in agility. Agility is used to calculate the manoeuvre rating of the missile, which determines its chance to hit things.
  • Fuel efficiency is the same tech as for regular engines and determines how much fuel the missile or drone uses in a given time for a given engine power. Drones are 10x more efficient than regular missiles.
  • ECM Strength per MSP gives the amount of countermeasures built into the missile per MSP invested in ECM. ECM makes missiles harder to target with point defense.
  • Active, Thermal, EM, Geo Sensor Strength per MSP gives the strength of the various kinds of sensor for each MSP of that sensor type invested. Missiles, drones, and buoys can have sensors placed on them that can detect other ships, missiles, etc. Geo sensors on missiles, drones, and buoys can be used to remotely survey bodies. These values are determined by the various sensor strength techs, except geological sensors, which is fixed at 0.01 per MSP.
  • Reactor Duration in Months per MSP dictates how long the reactors in a buoy will last for each MSP invested in reactors.
  • Laser Warhead Strength and Enhanced Radiation Modifier are values that advanced missiles will use to modify their effects. They will be covered should those techs ever be researched.

Note: An MSP is 1/20th of a hull space, or 2.5 tonnes. Aurora missiles are therefore much larger than most real world missiles, as the size 1 missile in Aurora is still 2.5 tonnes. It is possible to make missiles smaller than size 1, but launchers have a minimum size of 1, so the only benefit would be massive amounts of missiles carried. At high tech levels this might be feasible, but at low levels, it would be hard to make any kind of effective missile with less than 1 MSP.

These panes allows setting the various MSP values for each missile component. The MSP value for each component is multiplied by its associated tech ratio, and the result displayed in the value column.

• Warhead Strength determines how much damage the missile does when it hits.
  • Engine Power primarily determines the speed of the missile. A missile's engine power is 5x that of its ship-based equivalent, and consumes 10,000x as much fuel. A missile's speed is given by its total engine power / its size in hull spaces * 1000 km/s, rounded to the nearest hundred. Ex: a Size 7 missile (7 MSP = 0.35 HS) with engine power 5 has a speed of 5 (engine power) / 0.35 (size in HS) * 1000 km/s = 14,300 km/s. The engine power MSP for a drone is fixed at 5 (which also means that a drone has a minimum size of 5 MSP, though this would be an all-engine drone and would do nothing else). The engine power of a missile also indirectly contributes to its range.
  • Fuel Capacity determines how much ReSor fuel the missile carries. Each MSP devoted to fuel is 2500 litres of ReSor. Fuel use for missiles is calculated the same way as for ships, except that missiles consume fuel at 10,000x the rate of ship-based engines. Drones only use fuel at 1000x the rate. The fuel capacity of a missile divided by its fuel consumption gives its endurance. It endurance times its speed gives its range.
  • Agility determines how manoeuverable the missile is. Manoeuver rating (MR) is calculated as 10 + (agility / size in MSP). Drones have a fixed MR of 5. The chance to hit a target is % chance to hit = (missile speed / target speed) x MR. This chance is modified by crew grade when fired by a ship or PDC.
  • Active Sensor gives the strength of an active sensor built into the missile. Active sensors will be covered in a later update.
  • Thermal/EM Sensor gives the strength of the EM or Thermal (or both) sensor built into a missile. This strength works exactly like the strength listed in the EM/Thermal sensor design update.
  • Geo sensor is the geo sensor strength. This is equal to the number of geological survey points the sensor generates per hour. Each system body has a number of points required to complete the geological survey of it.
  • Ablative armor devotes MSPs to armoring the missile. The chance to destroy a missile when hit is equal to damage done / (armor + damage done). Thus hitting a size 2 missile with 1 MSP of armor with a 1 damage hit has a (1 / (1+1)) = 50% chance of destroying it. An unarmored missile would have a 100% chance of destruction from a single 1 damage hit.
  • ECM increases the difficulty of hitting the missile with point defense munitions. ECM reduces the effective range of fire controls targeting the missile.
  • Laser Warhead and Enhanced Radiation are advanced options for missiles that we'll cover if the time ever arises when it is necessary.

This pane allows you to set the second stage of the missile, drone, or buoy. You select the missile design that composes the second stage from the Missile Type dropdown. :siren:A rookie mistake is to then forget to increase the Number from 0 to any number. This would create a missile without any upper stage. I have done this more times than I can count. Separation Range gives the range from target at which the missile will deploy its second stage munitions. Missile Size and Cost give details about the size and build cost of each second stage munition. Total Size and Cost multiplies those values by the Number of submunitions and give a total value. Materials lists the materials involved in constructing the second stage.

Second stages can be used for many things. You can give a buoy a second stage that consists of small thermally guided missiles to create a mine. You can give a drone a second stage of many small missiles to create a sort of MIRV. Before some clever goon asks, yes, you can chain these, though the final missile size starts going up quick, and the max launcher size is 100.

We'll be using this functionality to create a drone that carries a buoy to a system body, then deploys the buoy, which will begin a geological survey of the body.

The Missile Series pane gives a list of missiles added to the series selected in the dropdown. The buttons at the bottom of the missile design dialog allow manipulation of the series. A missile series is a micromanagement avoidance feature (gasp!) added to try to minimize ordnance juggling. Essentially, when you design a ship that uses missiles, you can specify its ordnance loadout. If the missiles in the loadout belong to a missile series, when the ship is ordered to reload and cannot find any of the missiles from its loadout, it will attempt to reload the most recently designed missile in the series instead.

Clear Design blanks all the MSP allocations on the dialog. Create Series creates a new missile series. Delete Series deletes the series selected in the Missile Series dropdown. Set Series sets the series for the missile design selected in the MSP Allocation of Previous Design dropdown near the top of the dialog.

Replace All is a powerful function. It searches the loadout of all ships for the missile design selected in the Previous Design dropdown, and replaces it with the missile design selected in the Missile Series listbox. This is a quick way to force all your ships to start trying to carry the latest missile design in a series.

This pane displays all the parameters of the missile as currently designed, including the size (in both MSP and HS), warhead strength, armor rating, manoeuvre rating, speed, endurance, range, cost per missile (in BP and wealth), materials required, and RP development cost. It also lists a chance to hit for various target speeds.

:siren:Just as with designing components, we're not creating a missile we can go and start mass producing. We're creating a design for one, that needs to be researched before construction can start.

UN Missile Naming Nomenclature
UN missiles are given a designation of the following format: (Launch Environment Code)(Mission Description Code)(Missile Type Code)-(Missile design number)(Modification Letter).

Launch Environment Codes
  • L PDC or silo launched.
  • F Space vessel under 1000 tonnes displacement.
  • S Space vessel over 1000 tonnes displacement.

Mission Description Codes
  • G Designed to destroy land-based targets.
  • B Designed as a carrier stage that deploy a submunition.
  • R Designed to perform reconnaissance, detection, surveillance.
  • I Designed to intercept targets in a defensive role.
  • S Designed to destroy space-based targets.
  • Y Designed to perform sensor surveys.

Missile Type Code
  • M Guided missile.
  • D Drone.
  • P Probe or buoy without submunitions.
  • N Mine (probe or buoy with submunitions).

The joint UNIN-UNSA project first requires the development of the remote geological sensor buoy.

code:
LYP-1A Prospector Geological Survey Probe
Buoy Size: 10 MSP  (0.5 HS)     Armour: 0
Reactor Endurance: 5 months
Geo Sensor Strength: 0.075    Maximum points: 270
Cost Per Buoy: 2.375
Materials Required:    1x Boronide   1.5x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 238RP
This design will be able to entirely scan Luna in about 96 days. Larger bodies will likely require multiple buoys. The buoy will be conveyed to the body by a carrier drone, to be designed after the Prospector probe design is finalized.

It is annoying that I have to actually research this before I can set it as the second stage of a drone design. Up to you guys to decide whether to proceed or redesign the probe or whatever. I also need your other research priorities now that reactors and geo sensors have finished.

Industry

Mining

Shipyards

Research

bgreman fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 11, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

This is CMDR Veloxyll's proposal. It would need to be signed off on by Councillor Ynkling or Administrator Farecoal before I can advance time.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

berryjon posted:

Is it optimal to construct more Labs for faster research?

You can improve your research abilities either by constructing more labs or researching the Research Rate techs, which make your existing labs produce more RP.

UN, 25th September 2025

Dr. Barrelfox completes feasibility studies of the Prospector GeoSurvey probe. He forwards his data on to the UNIN-UNSA team, and they respond quickly with their design for the carrier bus drone.

code:
LBN-2A Gold Rush Geosurvey Carrier Drone
Missile Size: 24 MSP  (1.2 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 5
Speed: 4200 km/s    Endurance: 2700 minutes   Range: 680.4m km
Cost Per Missile: 3.9167, €3.9167 million
Second Stage: LYP-1A Prospector Geological Survey Probe x1
Second Stage Separation Range: 150,000 km
Overall Endurance: 152 days   Overall Range: 680.4m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 21%   3k km/s 5%   5k km/s 4.2%   10k km/s 2.1%
Materials Required:    1x Boronide   1.5x Uridium   1.1667x Gallicite   Fuel x22500

Development Cost: 392 RP, €392 million
They urge research into this design to begin immediately.

You have 10 available labs. Here's what it would look like if Dr. Barrelfox were assigned those labs. Once I get a research plan from Ynkling or Farecoal, we're good to proceed again.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 11, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 22nd October 2025

Another academy graduate joins the UNIN leadership, and Captain Boen increases his combat leadership.

UN, 29th October 2025, 18:08 UTC

To: UNIN Intelligence Office, UNEC
Re: New Federation Contact

Sirs, five seconds ago, our system picked up a 6 MW thermal contact making for the moon at 4200 km/s. The drive plume bears a characteristic Federation signature.

Re: New Federation Contact

The signature does not appear to be a new ship, and is traveling at nearly 40 times the speed of the Krivak-class ships. We suspect it is some kind of missile or probe.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 29th October 2025, 18:10

The Federation probe contact disappears one and a half minutes after it was detected, in the vicinity of Luna.
The game peculiarly does not raise an event for a missile contact disappearing after a second stage release.

Domestic News, 18th November 2025

The UN today announced an expansion of its military academy. A new branch of the facility opened in Western Europe, doubling its training capacity. UN leaders hope that enrollment at the new branch matches that at the original academy, and look forward to the new possibilities presented by a more rapidly expanding leadership corps.

The UN now produces 10 leaders per year (one every 36 days) and 2000 crewmen and junior officers. They still enter the pool with 100 crew grade.

The completion of this work frees up a significant amount of the UN's industrial capacity, which can now be turned to other projects.

Industry

• CI is converted to Construction Factories at a rate of 1 every 3.44 days. (Current TN factories: 69).
  • CI is converted to Mines at a rate of 1 every 27.56 days. (Current TN mines: 8).
  • CI is converted to Ordnance Factories at a rate of 1 every 55.13 days. (Current ordnance factories: 4).
  • CI is converted to Fuel Refineries at a rate of 1 every 55.13 days. (Current refineries: 4).
  • Infrastructure is being built at a rate of 1 unit every 2.33 days.

These rates are all as of this day (2025.11.18). As noted, the rate is increasing as new CFs come online. The UN had 48% of its construction capacity available to re-task. This can be split among existing projects, used for new projects, or a combination. I've gone ahead and assigned 5% to building 10 infrastructure (enough for about 3 million people) (leaving 43% CC available), but will wait until Farecoal or Jimmy4400nav submit a plan to proceed.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 12, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Ceebees posted:

Can we improve the scan time by deploying multiple survey drones?

Yes.

Ynkling posted:

If we convert the conventional industry to TNE industry, will the other convertions go faster in turn?

Yes.

UN, 25th November 2025, 07:40 UTC

Re: Federation Contacts

The second Krivak-class ship has activated its transponder. Predictably, it seems to be in orbit of Saturn. We still have no information as to the whereabouts of the first Krivak-class ship.

Foreign News, 25th November 2025, 07:40 UTC

As with the other Federation broadcasts, this one contains spectacular close-up footage of Saturn, its rings, and several of its moons. A Federation Kapitan, identifying himself as Kapitan Maxim Sobolev, makes a brief speech about the accomplishment of extending mankinds reach so far from its home planet. The broadcast continues for about three hours, with various members of the crew making scientific observations about the Saturn system.

Three hours later, the broadcast returns, depicting the hazy atmosphere of Saturn's moon Titan. The broadcast continues into the next day, when a landing party descends to the surface of Titan. Another propaganda coup for the Federation.

UN, 26th November 2025

Dr. Barrelfox's team completes feasibility studies on the Gold Rush geosurvey carrier drone. It is available for building immediately.

The UN has four currently operational ordnance production facilities. Assigning 100% of their capacity to the Gold Rush carrier drone would give a production time per-missile of approximately 32 days.

Ordnance factories are under the authority of Councillor Lord Windy and any purchase orders need to come from him. The number in parentheses after each cost line-item are the current amount of that material available at this colony. Note that you don't have to order the production of the Prospect-class probes. They are included when you build the Gold Rush-class drones that have them set as the second stage.

Industry

No input needed, these orders will continue unless adjusted by Jimmy4400nav or Farecoal.

Mining

Shipyards

The ISS shipyard has no activity set, and is still building the first York-class freighter.

Research

There are 10 free labs available to be assigned. Ynkling or Farecoal will need to provide a research order.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Puistokemisti posted:

3. Titan

The current probes have a range of 680m KM. Saturn (and therefore Titan) at its closest is just under twice that. The probes can just barely reach Jupiter and its moons when Earth is closest to them.

Puistokemisti posted:

I'm pulling this from my memory from either this LP or the previous one but the answers are Yes and yes if retooling to that model would only cost 20% of orginal blueprint's BP cost.

It's not 20% of retooling. If a shipyard is assigned to a class, call it Class A, and Class A can be refit to another class (Class B) for less than 20% of the BP cost of Class A, then the shipyard assigned to Class A can also build Class B without retooling.

Ex: Class A costs 200 BP. Refitting from Class A to Class B costs 25 BP. 25 = 12.5% of 200, so a shipyard that is tooled to build Class A can also build Class B.

Another ex: Class A costs 200 BP. Refitting from Class A to Class B costs 60 BP. 60 = 30%, so a shipyard tooled to build Class A cannot build Class B.

Another ex: Class costs 200 BP. Class B costs 300 BP. Refitting from A to B costs 50 BP. Refitting from B to A costs 60 BP. 50 = 25% of 200, so a shipyard assigned to build Class A cannot also build Class B without retooling. 60 = 20% of 300, so a shipyard assigned to build Class B can also build Class A without retooling.

Lord Windy posted:

FROM: The Desk of Lord Windy, Director of Defence and Procurement
TO: Department of Earth Ordnance Production

Truly a momentous day is upon us. The Federation may be 'beating' us into getting into space, but we have constructed the better facilities and ships now. We will win.

I'm ordering the Construction of 12 new Gold Rush missiles with their Probe Second Stage. Lets show the Federation how it's done.

Once I get a research order, I'll advance time.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 1st December 2025

The 2nd Krivak class deactivated its transponder today, and we cannot currently account for its whereabouts. We urge a massive investment into active sensors, to keep us from being ambushed by a potential surprise Federation attack.

UN, 7th December 2025, 13:42 UTC

Sirs, approximately six minutes ago, the DSTS detected a pair of 6 MW thermal contacts exiting Earth's atmosphere, matching the signature of the earlier suspected Federation probe. They were launched from the same re-purposed ICBM complex as the first probe as well. From our nearest guess, the pair is on an intercept course for Mars. They left our DSTS detection range just moments ago.

Note the stale contact for Krivak 002. This is a "lost contact." The "149:09:28" indicates the last time we had sensor contact, and the dot is placed at the location of that last contact. The tail on the "Thermal 6 x2 6257 km/s" contact indicates the distance it moved in the last time advancement, which was, for this picture, 30 seconds. Ignore the speed rating there, it is a known bug with drones. Pretend it says 4200 km/s.

UN, 13th December 2025

30,000 tonnes of packed colony infrastructure sits in a warehouse in Western Spain, awaiting the launch of the UN's York-class freighter.

A new academy graduate joins the UN's leadership corps.

For the sake of expediency, I went ahead and assigned the 5% of free industry to construction factories. I'll unassign it when I get to the next milestone.

UN, 19th December 2025

A monumental day in the UN's space-faring history takes place as the USMS York heaves off from its slipway moorings, becoming the first Trans-Newtonian vessel launched by the UN. Its crew begin orbital shakedown maneuvers and place it in low Earth orbit, awaiting a commander.

To: Head, UN Department of Defense (Councilor Lord Windy)
Re: CO Suitability Report

Sirs, please find attached a report detailing a list of all current UN Naval Officers with experience in logistics handling and cargo operations.

• CMDR Galenus is currently UN Fleet Headquarters Logistics Staff Officer.
  • CMDR Jaramr is currently UN Fleet Headquarters Intelligence Staff Officer.
  • CMDR DagPenge is currently UN Fleet Headquarters Communications Staff Officer.
  • The rest command ICBM Missle Complexes

Need a leader assigned and initial orders. Leader from Lord Windy, orders from Triskelli.

Industry

Need input from Farecoal or Jimmy4400nav for the available 5%.

Mining

Shipyards

ISS is currently sitting idle. It can start on a new York-class, refit to Galicia, expand capacity, or start the build, retool, and then expand capacity, or whatever. Triskelli is in charge.

Research

Now that we've got a ship, I'll do the individual ship window update tomorrow, and maybe the Task Group screen.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 13, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Mikl posted:

Could I get a look at my character's traits, for roleplaying purposes? Or is the "stubborn" I see in my character's profile all there is?

The character screens on the leaders page are sized to show all your traits and stats. It includes everything. For you, Stubborn is all there is.

Individual Unit Details

This window allows you to check the status of individual ships/PDCs and manage their settings. The Empire dropdown selects the active empire, whose ships you will be viewing. The listbox on the left contains a list of all ships, fighters, and PDCs controlled by your empire. The radio button at the top of the listbox allows sorting by Size (in tonnes), Alphabetically, or by Hull classification (the York is designated as a freighter (FT). Hull classifications are settable using the ship design window, to be covered later). The checkboxes at the bottom filter the listbox. No Fighters removes all craft buildable by fighter factories (under 500 tonnes), and Military Only removes all ships flagged as "commercial".

This section lists current information about the selected ship. Ship Commander is the naval officer assigned to the ship or PDC. Only one officer can be assigned to each ship, so ships don't have things like Engineering officers or XOs. There is a suggestion on the Aurora forums to add this functionality, to give a mature empire something to do with its dozens of unassigned officers.

Basic Information gives exactly that. It lists the Class, current Fleet (interchangeably called a Task Group), and Task Force the ship's Fleet is assigned to. It also lists the Construction Date and whether the Transponder is currently active.

Power Systems list functional information about the ship. Its Max and Current speed, its Base Thermal signature (I have no idea what this is or how it is determined) and its Current Thermal signature (generated by its engines). It also lists the Reactor Power generated by all the ship's reactors, and the Required Power to run systems requiring power (currently only energy weapons and railguns. In the spinoff of Aurora Steve is working on on-and-off, power is used for more things, and that might eventually be backported to Aurora).

The next group lists the Max and Current Shield the ship possesses, its Standard Crew complement and the number of Casualties the ship has taken. The crew's Grade Points and Bonus are listed as well. It is my understanding that crew grade does not decrease when casualties are taken, but it has been suggested.

Crew Grade Mechanics
The grade bonus in percent is sqrt(crew grade) - 10. So a grade 100 crew has a bonus of sqrt(100) - 10 = 10 - 10 = 0%. The grade bonus may be capped.

Crew grade bonus applies to the following situations:
  • Beam weapon hit chance: The crew's grade bonus is applied to the hit-chance of beam weapons. If a crew has a 20% grade bonus, and the beam weapon has a base 60% chance to hit, the total chance to hit is 60% * 1.2 = 72%. A crew with a -10% grade bonus would give the weapon a 54% chance to hit.
  • Missile rate of fire: The missile reload rate is increased by the crew grade bonus. A launcher that takes a base 40 seconds to reload would reload in 32 seconds when operated by a crew with a 20% grade bonus.
  • System failures: The crew applies its grade bonus to reduce the rate of component failures on craft subject to them (i.e. non-commercial ships).

Crew grade is increased based on the Crew Training Rating of its CO. (I presume, but cannot confirm, that the CO adds his crew training rating to the crew grade over the course of a year).

The Maintenance section gives information about the ship's operational capabilities. Clock is how long the ship has been in service since its last overhaul. The component failure rate for a ship goes up as a function of its overhaul clock. Ships in orbit of planets with sufficient maintenance facilities for their tonnage do not accrue time on the clock. The clock can be rewound by putting the ship into overhaul. Range is how far the ship can go given its remaining fuel load. MSP is the number of Maintenance Supply Points the ship has on board. MSP (same acronym as for missile size points, annoying, isn't it?) is used to repair maintenance failures. MSPs are held in engineering spaces and dedicated MSP storage modules. Fuel is how much fuel the ship has, in litres. We will cover maintenance, overhaul, and failures in a later update.

Mothership displays the current assigned mothership in the top textbox, and allows selecting a new mothership from the dropdown below it.

The buttons in the Parasite Commands section allow for launching and recovering "parasite" craft (gunboats, fighters, etc) from ships equipped with boat bays or hangars. We will go over these commands when we have a ship that needs to use them.

Ship Design Display and Class Design Display

These two tabs contain information about the selected ship. The Ship Design tab gives information about the ship in its present state, taking into account battle damage, etc. The Class Design tab gives information about the ship class, disregarding any battle damage or damaged components. The biggest difference between the two is that the Class Design display lists the Max Repair line item, which lists the largest repair cost in MSP of any component on the ship. If that component failed on a ship without enough MSP to repair it, no automatic maintenance repair would be possible (it would require emergency damage control repair (which costs double MSP), or repair at a shipyard).

The two sets of radio buttons on the right side of the Ship Design Display control the "to hit" chances displayed in the main text.

Combat Settings and Combat Summary

These panes provide options for assigning weapons to fire controls, assigning fire controls to targets, raising and lowering shield, firing weapons, and turning active sensors on and off. This only affects the currently selected ship. The Combat Overview window (F8 or the crosshair on the System Map buttonbar) contains all the same information in a better format, so it is more likely to be used. I'll go over the Combat Overview window when we launch our geo probe.

Ordnance Management

This tab allows shuttling missiles into and out of a ship's stores. Fast Reload makes the ship automatically attempt to reload from various sources, using the ordnance loadout specified for its class. Ordnance loadouts will be covered in a later update. Colliers makes the ship attempt to reload from ships flagged as colliers in the same task group. Population makes it attempt to reload from the population selected in the Assigned Population dropdown at the top right of the screen. Mothership makes it attempt to reload from its mothership. Standard is an SM-only function that gives the ship a free reload of its loadout.

The buttons in the Options window allow for quickly setting ammo loadouts for parasites and reloading them. Select Ship sets the currently selected ship to be the one selected in the ship dropdown under Magazine Contents. Para - MS sets all parasites on the same mothership as the currently selected ship to use the same ammo loadout, and to reload using only the mothership. Para - CO does the same thing, except it also allows reloads from colliers in the same task group. All Para - MS does the same thing as Para - MS except it applies to all parasites in all motherships in the same task group. All Para - CO does the same thing as Para - CO except for all parasites on all motherships in the same task group. Ammo Mgmt brings up a dedicated ordnance transfer dialog. That may be covered in a bonus update.

Magazine Contents allows setting the contents of the magazines of the selected ship. The x1, x10, etc radio button sets the amount of missiles to be transferred with each double-click, to avoid carpal tunnel. The left-side edit box contains a list of the contents of the magazines of the currently selected ship. The right side editbox contains the contents of the magazines of the source selected using the two dropdowns above it. The top dropdown selects the type of source (Mothership, Population, TG Colliers, TG Non-Parasite, All Ships). These only account for sources in the same physical location as the selected ship.

• Mothership gives no options in the second dropdown, and displays the contents of the mothership's magazines in the editbox only if the parasite is on board the mothership or at the same location.
  • Population displays the contents of the colony ordnance stockpile, allowing you to transfer ordnance directly from the population to the selected ship. The population is the one selected in the Assigned Population combobox.
  • TG Colliers fills the second editbox with a list of ships in the same location as the selected ship, that are also flagged as colliers, and are in the same task group as the selected ship. Selecting one of these ships fills the editbox with the contents of its magazines.
  • TG Non-Parasite fills the second editbox with a list of all ships at the same location as the selected ship that are also in the same task group and are not under 500 tonnes / have a mothership assigned. Selecting one of these ships fills the editbox with the contents of its magazines.
  • TG All ships fills the second editbox with a list of all ships at the same location as the selected ship and in the same task group. Selecting one of these ships fills the editbox with the contents of its magazines.

To transfer a missile from one ship's magazines to another, double click on it in the SOURCE editbox. The number transferred is set by the quantity radio button as discussed above.

The Assign Selected Missile to Launcher listbox contains a list of launchers on the ship. Selecting a missile in the ship's magazine contents listbox and a launcher in the rightmost listbox, and then pressing Assign or Assign All will set that missile type to be used in that launcher or in all launchers, respectively. Clear All clears the missile type assignment from all launchers on the ship.

Armour Status

This tab displays the armor belt of the ship graphically. Armor is arranged in a grid, with white boxes still intact and grey boxes destroyed. The number of columns is determined based on the size of the ship. The number of rows is set during class design. Damage is allocated from the top down. Different kinds of weapons have different shaped damage templates, and the size of the template depends on the damage rating of the weapon.

Damage Control

This tab allows emergency repairs to be conducted.

The Damage Allocation Chart (DAC) shows the odds of a penetrating hit hitting each of the interior components of the ship. These odds are directly based on the percentage of the ship's interior devoted to that component, based on hull spaces. The values in parentheses after each component describes (number of components of this type / HTK rating of each component of this type). Damage is allocated by rolling an n-sided die, where n is the size of the ship in hull spaces. The
York-class is 9350 tonnes, or 179 HS in size, so the damage roll would be a random number between 1 and 179. The result of the roll is compared against the DAC and damage allocated to the resulting component. Note that this doesn't take interior arrangement or ship facing into account at all.

Damaged Systems contains a list of currently damaged internal components. When an internal component takes damage as described above, it is placed in this section (and becomes nonfunctional). Components can never be destroyed, only damaged. Pressing Begin DC begins damage control procedures immediately. The crew attempts to repair the damaged component. This repair costs MSP, equal to two times the build cost of the component. (Regular maintenance failure repairs only cost the build cost of the component). Add to Queue places a component in the DC queue.

Current Damage Control Assignment lists the item being actively worked on. Abort DC cancels repair attempts.

Items in the queue become actively worked on when the current assignment completes. Items can be moved up and down in the queue using the arrow buttons, and removed with the Remove button.

Abandon Ship makes the crew and officers leave the ship via life pods. The chance of the officers and crew surviving is greater during an abandonment than during a ship explosion.

Manual Damage allows applying a specified amount of damage, to set up a scenario or for roleplaying purposes.

Parasites / Cargo / Ground Units

This tab displays the ship's non-ordnance contents. Parasite Ships lists all ships contained in boat bays or hangars on the selected ship. Ground Units lists all ground units embarked in troop transport or assault modules. Current Cargo lists all the cargo loaded on the ship, as well as its remaining capacity. Delete Cargo removes the cargo from the ship and from the game. Think of it as destructively jettisoning the cargo. Teams lists teams embarked on the ship. The dropdowns below allow moving a team to a ship in the same location (top dropdown and Transfer button) or the indicated population (bottom editbox and Transfer button).

Miscellaneous

This pane contains various minor ship management tasks.

Manual * Transfer (Ships and Population) allows moving fuel and MSPs between ship and populations. The top two sets of controls allow moving fuel and MSPs between ships located at the same place. The target ship is selected using the combobox, and the Other Ship Fuel/MSP updates to display the amount of fuel or MSP available on the other ship. Filling in a value in Transfer Amount and then pressing Transfer To or Transfer From will transfer the indicated amount of fuel or MSPs to or from the other ship. Transferring fuel and MSPs between the selected ship and a population it is orbiting (as assigned in the Assigned Population combobox in the top right) works the same way.

Tractor Link allows establishing tractor links between tugs and other ships, shipyards, and orbital habitats. We'll discuss tractor beams when we develop and utilize them.

Transfer Ship to Alien Empire allows giving ships to other empires in the game. If the Include Commander checkbox is ticked, the commander is transferred to the alien leadership corps as well. This is mostly used for RP purposes.

Set Maintenance Priority sets the priority this ship gets when it is competing for limited maintenance resources at a population. If not enough minerals are available to maintain all ships, they are maintained in order of the priority set here. Maintenance and overhaul will be covered in a later update.

Transponder allows activating or deactivating the ship's transponder. When activated, all empires gain position and course information for this ship. Civilian ships (those operated by an empire's civilian sector) default to always having their transponders on.

History / Notes / Tech Data

This pane contains the ship's history. It also allows entering notes, which are saved when the Save Notes button is pressed.

Tech Data held by this ship includes information recovered by interrogating foreign crewman rescued from lifepods or from salvaging foreign wrecks. When unloaded at one of your populations, this data is converted into RP applied against the cost of the associated technology. Checking Do Not Release Tech Data prevents this from happening when the ship gets to a population.

These buttons perform various utility functions. Rename brings up a dialog that lets you give the ship a new name. Delete Ship removes the ship from the game as if it never existed. This is probably liable to put its commander into a location-less state. Destroy Ship removes the ship from the game and creates an appropriate wreck in its place. Effects on commander and crew unknown. Get Name renames the ship using the empire's theme or the class theme associated with this ship. Galactic Map opens the galactic map, centered on the location of this ship. Add History adds a line to the ship's history. Msl Launch performs a blind missile launch from all loaded tubes, useful for self-guiding missiles, mines, or buoys. All AS Off deactivates all active sensors for all ships. Repair All is SM-only and freely repairs all damage to the ship. SM Refuel returns the ship to its max fuel state for free. Auto FC lets the game's rudimentary set the fire control and weapon assignments for the ship.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 14, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Triskelli posted:

I think I'm misinterpreting how commercial ships work... do WE build them, or do civilians build them?

Civilians build civilian ships. Only commercially-flagged ships are available for civilians to build. Furthermore, they will only build commercial ships that have a cargo hold or passenger transport of some sort. We can build either commercial or military ships. See the shipyard update for the differences, but the primary difference is that any commercial-flagged ship with at least one engineering space is not subject to maintenance failures.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 19th December 2025

In a muted ceremony, CMDR Zyrden is the DoD's surprise choice as commander of the USMS York, passing up several more qualified officers.

In case it wasn't clear, the staff officer positions of the others did not prevent them from being reassigned to command the freighter. I went ahead and assumed that Triskelli's orders would be to pick up the infrastructure and move it to Luna, so we can advance time.

A group of UN bureaucrats and diplomats are granted temporary quarters on the freighter, intending to ceremonially "cut the ribbon" on the impending lunar colony.

CMDR Zyrden's first officer prepares an action plan, estimating that the operation, from start of infrastructure loading on Earth to the last scrap of it being unloaded on the Moon, will take just over four days. They set to immediately.

It's here that I realize I made a grave mistake. I thought that infrastructure requirements per million population was equal to the colony cost. It is equal to 100 times the colony cost. Whoops. That means the 10 infrastructure so far produced will support about 27,000 citizens. I'm going to go ahead and reset the 5% industry to produce another 10 infrastructure, so that the colony can support a single bay of cryo colonists, if you guys get that far.

UN, 22nd December 2025, 11:00 UTC

The UN delegation officially declares the Luna colony established, and raise the motionless UN flag over the facility.

Behind the scenes, the still citizen-less colony is erected as a new UN member nation, and also establishes a new UN Civil Administration.

Call for content: This colony certainly needs a name better than "Luna". Have at.

UN, 22nd December 2025, 12:00 UTC

An hour later, as the festivities are still taking place regarding the establishment of the lunar colony, the first Gold Rush geosurvey drone is prepped for launch at Missile Complex Valkyrie, overseen by CMDR Vander.

This is the screen that appears if you click the Stockpiles button on the Industry tab. It shows the current stocks of ship components, missiles, pdc components, and fighters in orbit. Each of these can be scrapped (with some of the construction resource recovered) by pressing the appropriate Scrap button. Ship Components salvaged from alien ships can also be Disassembled, potentially yielding research information.

We transfer the missile from the planetary stockpile to the Missile Complex as described in the a last update. We need to put an ICBM back in the stockpile to free up magazine space for a drone.

Combat Overview

This screen (F12 from the System Map, or the crosshair on the System Map buttonbar) allows a central location to manage all combat happenings. The Empire dropdown functions as elsewhere. The System dropdown filters the ships listed in the ship selection treeview by those present in the star system selected. Selecting a ship from the treeview on the left displays its combat information on the controls to the right.

This buttons turn Sync Fire on or off. Sync fire ensures that all ships fire at the same time, even in the case of firing delays due to low Task Force training levels in the Task Group. Task Force training will be covered in a further update.

This pane displays information about the selected ship, like shield status, speed, power information, and crew information. The two Targted checkboxes prefix contacts in the Assign Contact at Target with a (T) if they are targeted by other ships in the Task Group (top checkbox) or targeted by any ship in your empire (bottom checkbox). The Synchronous Fire checkbox turns on SyncFire for just this ship. Pressing the aforementioned Sync Fire buttons turns this option on for all ships in the same Task Group as the selected ship. A ship with Synchronous Fire enabled will not fire if any other ship in the Task Group is suffering a firing delay. Automated Fire enables the AI control of targeting and firing for this ship, which is generally a pretty poor option.

These controls set the various ship states.

Change Point Defense Mode for SFC sets the point defense mode for the selected fire control. Point defense will be covered in a future update.

The Copy Assign buttons copy the fire control and launcher settings of the current ship to other ships of the same class in the same Task Group (Copy TG), Star System (Copy System), or all ships of the same class in the empire (Copy Empire). The Copy Target buttons do the same thing, except for target assignments.

The Multiple Targets button makes targeting multiple ships theoretically easier. It assigns the selected fire control for all ships of the same class as the selected ship that are in the same task group to a different ship target in the same location as the selected ship's SFC's target. Only ships not already targeted will be targeted using this routine. I'll go over this in more detail the first time we use it.

The top set of Open/Cease fire controls set whether the selected fire control is firing. Raise/Lowe Shields buttons do just that. Active Sensors buttons turn on or off all the active sensors on the selected ship. Multiple active sensors on a ship cannot be turned on and off independently. The bottom set of Open/Cease Fire controls turn on or off firing for all fire controls in the selected task group. Auto Fire on the same line turns on the Automated Fire checkbox for the entire task group.

These controls configure the weapons of the selected ship. The important thing to know is that the fire control selected in the top left box is the one being operated on. It is called the selected fire control, or SFC. The Assign ECCM to selected Fire Control does just that. I'll cover ECM and ECCM if we ever get to it.

The Assign Weapons to Selected Fire Control does just that. Weapons allocated to the SFC fire when firing is turned on for the SFC. We only need one launcher to launch our probe, so we select ICBM Silo #1 and click Assign. ICBM Silo #1 is now directed by ICBM Launch Control #1. Pressing Assign All will assign all appropriate weapons to the SFC. Pressing Clear clears all weapon assignment from the SFC.

Assign Missiles to Launchers works just like on the Individual Unit screen. We assign a
Gold Rush probe to ICBM Silo #1 by selecting the missile, selecting ICBM Silo #1, and pressing Assign. Assign All assigns the selected type of missile to all launchers on the ship.

Finally, we need to use the Assign Contact as Target to set a target for the SFC. Only targets within the range of the SFC can be selected, except for waypoints. Waypoints in the same star system can be targeted by any fire control, regardless of range. We have placed a waypoint on top of Luna, and selected it as our target by pressing Assign. Extend extends the targeting listbox over top of the Weapon and Fire Control Assignment Summary in order to be able to read details of longer contact names. Clear clears the target assignment from the SFC, while Clear Fleet clears all targets of all fire controls of all ships in the same task group as the selected ship.

Here is our combat summary. We see that ICBM Launch Control #1 is targeting Waypoint #1 and holding fire. It controls ICBM Silo #1, which is loaded with an LBN-2A Gold Rush Geosurvey Carrier Drone, and it is ready to fire.

To recap: Fire controls can control multiple weapons. Launcher weapons must be assigned with a missile type. A target must be assigned to the fire control. Then you can fire at the target.

We press Open Fire for the SFC and advance time.

UN, 22nd December 2025 11:00 UTC

The UN launched a Gold Rush geosurvey drone to Luna, beginning the age of solar system prospecting.

We press Cease Fire after launching to keep from getting spammed about targeting information. You can see on the map a jumble of text on top of the label for Luna. This is the Waypoint #1 label "WP 1" placed directly on top of the Moon.

One minute later, the drone reaches the moon and releases its payload, a LYP-1A Prospector Geological Survey Probe.

The "120 days" at the end of the Prospector's contact report indicates its reactor duration.

I plan to set the York to continually cycle infrastructure to Luna. I still need shipyard orders from Triskelli. Even if just to say, "Leave it idle."

bgreman fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 14, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 27th December 2025

A UN commander is seen hobnobbing with the upper echelon administrators of the UN.

UN, 1st January 2025

CMDR Commoners becomes the first UN naval officer to receive a grade promotion; after having served for one year as a Commander, he is promoted to Captain.

UN, 6th January 2025

The 2nd Tour of Duty for UNMF personnel ends and reassignments are made. There are no major upheavals, just the general shuffling around of commanders at the various missile complexes. A brief paperwork mix-up removes CMDR Zyrden from command of the USMS York, but the oversight is quickly spotted and remedied.

Reassignments have gone out. If you got moved to a different missile complex, you can rename it. No one got moved to a new ground unit, but those of you without ground unit nicknames, feel free to submit one!

UN, 11th January 2026

A UN captain manages to swing an invite to a prestigious diplomatic function.

UN, 15th January 2026

The second infrastructure order is completed, as the USMS York continues to deliver the materials to the as-yet-unpopulated lunar colony. Additionally, yet another new graduate joins the UNIN officer corps.

UN, 20th January 2026

CMDR Jesenjin impresses his superiors during a fleet simulation exercise. Later that day, the USMS York returns to Earth after delivering the last of the lunar infrastructure. The colony can now support an estimated 50,000 people.

To: Councilor Triskelli, Head of UN Department of Transport & Commerce
Re: Lunar Colony

Sir, we recommend that a plan be put into place to begin populating our lunar colony. We may have a scored a minor propaganda win by placing the infrastructure, but without living, breathing souls on the lunar surface, our claims will quickly ring empty.

UN, 21st January 2025, 17:42 UTC

Today the Federation launched another three suspected survey probes, this time in the direction of Venus. They were launched from the same base and exhibited the same characteristics as the earlier probes, including loss of contact radius.

UN Earth Population Summary

Industry

No input needed.

Mining

Shipyards

Including time to retool to Galicia-class. No input needed, as Triskelli has confirmed to keep the yards idle.

Research

Previous orders were to transfer Slaan's labs to MagicBoots upon completion of Nuclear Thermal Engine Tech. However, MagicBoots is already commanding his max amount of labs. I need an alternate plan, but it's not necessary to be ready until this research finishes, and I will pause there if necessary.

I will advance time again later today, including any new plans you may put forward.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 27th January 2026

During a live-fire training exercise with his unit, COL Deade is seriously injured.

UN, 29th January 2026

Dr. Slaan's constant hard work pays off, as he becomes an even more effective research team leader. Jealous of Dr. Slaan's success, Dr. Scribbleykins begins to make inroads with UN higher-ups, hoping to eventually receive a research appointment.

Later that day, Missile Complex Valkyrie receives delivery of two new Gold Rush survey drones, and launches them at Mars. A communications error prevents the launch for 20 seconds, but it is eventually successful.

UN, 5th February 2026, 8:03 UTC

Sirs, the contact designated Krivak 002 has been detected. It appeared from a bearing of approximately 235' solar true at 03:57 UTC, made directly for Earth, lingered in Earth orbit for approximately 10 minutes, then transited to the moon. It stayed there for about five minutes, then headed directly sun-ward before disappearing from the DSTS again just minutes ago.

UN, 11th February 2026

CMDR Morrow's ability to command a task group improves. Later, Missile Complex Valkyrie launches a single Gold Rush to survey Mercury.

UN, 22nd February 2026

The Federation launches a pair of probes at Mercury. CMDR Galenus is given a much-awaited promotion to Captain. A new graduate joins the UNIN officer corps.

Note that this gives us 9 captains now, which means one of them will receive an imminent promotion to commodore.

Yep.

UN, 25th February 2026

Realizing that one probe won't be sufficient to fully survey Mercury, the UNIN-UNSA team launches another Gold Rush at the planet.

UN, 9th March 2026

Commodore Boen's ability to improve the quality of crewmen under his command improves.

UN, 29th March 2026

A busy day for the UN. A new ground forces officer and the launch of three Gold Rush probes to Venus.

Most importantly, however, the first Prospector probe, having been deployed to Luna more than three months before, yields results.

To: UN Department of Resource Acquisition
Re: Mineral Availability Report, Luna

Please find attached 1) an initial report of lunar mineral quantities and availabilities as determined by Prospector 1. 2) a list of personnel appropriate for forming a geological survey team and deploying to the lunar colony in order to refine these numbers.

Of these, RADM Stanberry is not assignable since he is the only one capable of commanding Fleet Headquarters right now. Dr. Eumenides, Dr. Slaan, and Dr. MagicBoots are currently leading research projects, which would need either paused or reassigned in order to use him. CMDR Zyrden is commanding the USMS York, so would need to be relieved.

Industry

Mining

Shipyards

Research

Still need an updated research order to avoid a pause when Nuclear Thermal finishes.

Lunar Colony Name Voting:
Tranquility: 3
Giant Leap: 3
Moonbase Alpha: 3 (this will need altered to something that doesn't involve "Base" since, as noted, its not a base, it's more like a small city).
Schwarze Sonne: 1
Gingrichia: 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Scribbleykins posted:

Does Political Reliability do anything specific? I can't remember if it's come up before.

Also, Lunar Colony Tranquility sounds like a good name for it.

Political Reliability is used to add promotion points for those leaders who can be promoted. Scientists can't be promoted, so in-game it has no effect.

• Locked thread