Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm sorry if this was already covered, but I have an unlocked iPhone 4 AT&T and I am moving to straight talk. Does it allow me to turn on hotspot? I am aware of the bandwidth limitations but I want to know if my iPhone will allow it to work, it's kind of a deal breaker if it doesn't.

It's factory unlocked iPhone 4 and I already ordered the st micro sim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Straight Talk is quite militant about even streaming audio/video and will ban you fast. I don't know about tethering but my guess is they won't be fans.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You're probably not going to get tethering to work with an un-jailbroken iphone on any prepaid service, sorry.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I just got a message about the terms and conditions changing for Virgin Mobile. What rather worries me is this part

"Virgin Mobile USA posted:

The software and content on our mobile phones and devices, including the operating system, applications, data, information, music, games, images, text and other material, are owned by us or our business partners. You are permitted to use this software and content solely in connection with your use of your Virgin Mobile phone or device with our service as expressly authorized under the General Terms & Conditions. You may not distribute or upload any pre-loaded software or content to another mobile phone or device, or transmit or broadcast the software or content, or otherwise copy or use the software or content in any manner not expressly authorized under the General Terms & Conditions. If you violate the General Terms & Conditions, including without limitation by using one of our mobile phones or devices on another network without our prior written consent, by modifying any hardware or software on our mobile phones or devices, or by distributing, copying or otherwise using any of the software or content on one of our mobile phones or devices in a manner that is not authorized by the General Terms & Conditions, your license to the software and content will terminate immediately and your continued use will constitute copyright infringement.

Does this mean that they won't allow custom firmware anymore? Or is this saying that their VM-specific apps and such aren't allowed to be distributed?

The update is here for anyone who wants to read it for themselves. Also looks like they're making tethering against their terms of service, as well as rooting.

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006
The man, the myth, the legend...

taiyoko posted:

I just got a message about the terms and conditions changing for Virgin Mobile. What rather worries me is this part

Does this mean that they won't allow custom firmware anymore? Or is this saying that their VM-specific apps and such aren't allowed to be distributed?

The update is here for anyone who wants to read it for themselves. Also looks like they're making tethering against their terms of service, as well as rooting.

Where's the part about tethering?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

taiyoko posted:

They *might* go after VM-based ROMs, but completely custom ones, like CM variants should be fine I think. Well, they're rooted, so they'd be against that part but yeah. Also, who knows if they'll actually enforce any of this stuff, they could just be putting it in to go after big abusers.

Good thing I'm planning to go to TMo soon, just in case!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Arob1000 posted:

Where's the part about tethering?

It's in the section under "Specific Terms and Restrictions regarding Data Service".

Virgin Mobile posted:

(4) for an activity that connects any device to personal computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for the purpose of transmitting wireless data over the network (unless customer is using a plan designated for such usage),

Edit: and rooting is mentioned specifically here:

Our Right to Suspend or Terminate Services posted:

(g) modifying a Device from its manufacturer specifications (for example, rooting the device);

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 22, 2012

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
When I bought my rumor touch day after Thanksgiving that was pretty much already in there (tether ing)

In 2010 I meant

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So Virgin owns your nudie pics? Does that sound right?

Wait, do other providers "own" your content as well? That sounds pretty sketchy to me.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's just one of many reasons to go with Google Voice: so you can gently caress around and break terms of service and when they ban you and steal your phone number, just grab a new SIM and update Google Voice to the new number.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
It sounds like posturing to me, but who knows. If they start banning rooted devices, I will switch carriers quickly, though. Where is the part about tethering? Tethering with EasyTether doesn't require root.

hotsauce posted:

Wait, do other providers "own" your content as well? That sounds pretty sketchy to me.
Welcome to the 2010s, this kind of thing is widespread.

Lowtax probably owns this post.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Question: I'm thinking of bailing on Sprint for the $30 T-Mobile plan with 100 minutes / unlimited text / 5GB fast data. That said, I have no idea how good/bad T-Mo's reception actually is and if their data is actually significantly faster than Sprint's here in Phoenix.

So, two questions:

1) Any recommendations on a cheap phone to pick up for testing purposes? I don't care about the actual experience of using the phone (I'm keeping my Evo 3D until I actually switch) but I just need some sort of T-Mobile compatible phone that is at least fast enough to saturate their network. Once I switch I'm almost certainly going to snag a Galaxy Nexus.

2) That plan is for new customers only, as far as I know - will this bite me in the rear end if I want to use it for a month, and then let it lapse until I'm actually able to get out of Sprint?

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 23, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

2) That plan is for new customers only, as far as I know - will this bite me in the rear end if I want to use it for a month, and then let it lapse until I'm actually able to get out of Sprint?

I have the t mobile plan as a backup and I've let it lapse for a couple of weeks every couple months. So far so good and all I have to do is add more money to turn it back on. I'm not sure how long it will have to lapse before they disconnect it but I think its 6 months.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Answer:

Tmobile posted:

Monthly Plans: Features available for 30 days; if sufficient account balance, plans automatically renew at the end of 30 days. If balance is insufficient to renew for 60 days, account will be converted to Prepaid - Pay As You Go
If they make good on the 60 days part then I imagine it would be pretty hard to switch back from pay as you go to the 100 minute plan.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there a decent T-Mobile phone out there (at least rootable and capable of running cm9 with decent xda support) that has an under 4" screen? I'm debating getting the One V on Virgin Mobile* versus something nicer on T-Mobile, but I don't know if I would want to carry around a phone with a 4.7" screen like the One X or Galaxy Nexus. I'm just curious if there's something good with a smaller screen out there than I'm not aware of.

*I have weird network issues whenever I'm in the Chicagoland area with my Optimus V. Sometimes the phone likes to lock up, sometimes the battery drains super fast, sometimes I can't hook onto mobile data. It all goes away when I'm back in Peoria.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Question: I'm thinking of bailing on Sprint for the $30 T-Mobile plan with 100 minutes / unlimited text / 5GB fast data. That said, I have no idea how good/bad T-Mo's reception actually is and if their data is actually significantly faster than Sprint's here in Phoenix.
I live in the east valley and looking at my speed test through the year, I average around 2.5 mbps down and 1.4 mbps up.

IOwnCalculus posted:

So, two questions:
1) Any recommendations on a cheap phone to pick up for testing purposes? I don't care about the actual experience of using the phone (I'm keeping my Evo 3D until I actually switch) but I just need some sort of T-Mobile compatible phone that is at least fast enough to saturate their network. Once I switch I'm almost certainly going to snag a Galaxy Nexus.
A MyTouch 4g is about 120 used on ebay.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Worst case you just sign up again with a different sim.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Uthor posted:

Is there a decent T-Mobile phone out there (at least rootable and capable of running cm9 with decent xda support) that has an under 4" screen? I'm debating getting the One V on Virgin Mobile* versus something nicer on T-Mobile, but I don't know if I would want to carry around a phone with a 4.7" screen like the One X or Galaxy Nexus. I'm just curious if there's something good with a smaller screen out there than I'm not aware of.
Nexus devices have the best modding support. The Nexus S screen is only 4 inches, but of course it is not a high-end phone.

The Galaxy S Blaze 4G is also only 4 inches, and has a dual-core processor, but I don't know about rom support.

Edit: and I'm sure you know this, but the Evo V is not the same thing as the One V, the One V has been rumored for Virgin Mobile USA but not announced.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Capt. Morgan posted:

I live in the east valley and looking at my speed test through the year, I average around 2.5 mbps down and 1.4 mbps up.

Goddamn. Anywhere between the east end of Phoenix and AJ, I can rarely do better than 100 kBps down.

I might just skip the 'test' and start working on leaving Sprint.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rastor posted:

Edit: and I'm sure you know this, but the Evo V is not the same thing as the One V, the One V has been rumored for Virgin Mobile USA but not announced.

Yeah, I'm just assuming that the One V will come out on Virgin eventually.

Thanks for the info. I'll check those out. I have to say I enjoy this no contract prepay stuff. I have no real hurry to switch plans and long contracts aren't affecting my decisions.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I know most of us know most of this already, but I found this guide handy:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646755

I like the addition of the Tasker that automatically turns on Airplane mode when you are connected to Wi-Fi, because I have found GrooveIP so unreliable over 4G that I'd rather use some of my precious 100 minutes to take the call, and only use it over wi-fi. Turning on Airplane mode means you avoid the double ring issues when you have calls forwarded to both Google Chat (which goes to GrooveIP) and your phone.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

ShaneB posted:

I have found GrooveIP so unreliable over 4G that I'd rather use some of my precious 100 minutes to take the call, and only use it over wi-fi.
This might not be helpful, but I've had pretty great luck with outgoing Skype calls on my 3G phone. You can set skype to show your cell phone's callerID to people receiving your call and get unlimited skype to phone calls for about ~$3 per month. It's decidedly less free than grooveIP though. Note: I have a windows phone so I can't directly compare Skype's quality to GrooveIP.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

ShaneB posted:

I know most of us know most of this already, but I found this guide handy:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646755

I like the addition of the Tasker that automatically turns on Airplane mode when you are connected to Wi-Fi, because I have found GrooveIP so unreliable over 4G that I'd rather use some of my precious 100 minutes to take the call, and only use it over wi-fi. Turning on Airplane mode means you avoid the double ring issues when you have calls forwarded to both Google Chat (which goes to GrooveIP) and your phone.

I really want to do this!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

1karus posted:

I really want to do this!

So do it, son.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I have found GrooveIP so unreliable over 4G that I'd rather use some of my precious 100 minutes to take the call, and only use it over wi-fi.

I tried the "data calling only" on my T-Mobile $30 plan and I, too, grew tired of GrooveIP/Talkatone via 3g in about 2 seconds. It was an exercise in frustration for me and the callers. Just didn't work worth a poo poo.

I'm trying to move to the $30 T-Mo plan full-time, but at this point, it's just too difficult to limp by with 100 minutes. I suppose 10 cents/minute extra is pretty cheap, but I don't like the idea of mentally worrying about my usage when on the phone.

Maybe I'll try again but it seems to come with too many compromises so far.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

hotsauce posted:

I tried the "data calling only" on my T-Mobile $30 plan and I, too, grew tired of GrooveIP/Talkatone via 3g in about 2 seconds. It was an exercise in frustration for me and the callers. Just didn't work worth a poo poo.

I'm trying to move to the $30 T-Mo plan full-time, but at this point, it's just too difficult to limp by with 100 minutes. I suppose 10 cents/minute extra is pretty cheap, but I don't like the idea of mentally worrying about my usage when on the phone.

Maybe I'll try again but it seems to come with too many compromises so far.

There's an app called Prepaid Widget (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fahrbot.apps.ussd.widget.lite) that lets you keep a 1x1 (or however big you want) display of your remaining minutes on your desktop, which helps me in alleviating any anxieties about running short on minutes.

Following the tasker profile mentioned in the link a few posts up, I place and receive all calls via VOIP when I'm in a usable wifi connection; place calls via Talkatone if I'm in solid 4g territory; and receive all other calls via my minutes. I barely touch my minutes, especially since I can text replies to voicemails without taking minutes.

Also worth noting for this thread that I got into TMobile's help chat and asked that I get my voicemail answer timer set to the maximum, or even better have it forward to my Google Voice account, and the lady just straight up set up my conditional forwarding even on my prepaid account. Now all missed, voicemail, or can't connect calls go to my GV account.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I only use voip with Skype on wifi, even that only work 80% of time. I seldom use voice however, so 100 minute is enough for me even if I don't use voip.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Now that the Optimus Elite is the new low-end game in town, letstalk.com is clearing out the Optimus V smartphone for $28.

It's not a very impressive one, but it's an honest-to-god smartphone. For $28. Contract free.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Rastor posted:

Now that the Optimus Elite is the new low-end game in town, letstalk.com is clearing out the Optimus V smartphone for $28.

It's not a very impressive one, but it's an honest-to-god smartphone. For $28. Contract free.

Availability: Backordered-Available to ship: unknown

Too bad. My female friend just got her OV stolen. Was thinking of upgrading to the Evo V and giving her my beat up OV, but at $28 I'd just get new OV and wait for the whole customs rom mess to sort itself out.

hotsauce posted:

Straight Talk is quite militant about even streaming audio/video and will ban you fast. I don't know about tethering but my guess is they won't be fans.

I've been hearing this more and more as people switch to Straight Talk. Apparently people have been pegged simply for web surfing for a couple hours (going over 100mb in a day).

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Naffer posted:

This might not be helpful, but I've had pretty great luck with outgoing Skype calls on my 3G phone. You can set skype to show your cell phone's callerID to people receiving your call and get unlimited skype to phone calls for about ~$3 per month. It's decidedly less free than grooveIP though. Note: I have a windows phone so I can't directly compare Skype's quality to GrooveIP.

I downloaded skype and put some credit on to my account to test it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to show my cell number as the outgoing number. I looked through every option in the settings menu a bunch of times and I am not seeing it all, of course I have the Android version.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Porkchop Express posted:

I downloaded skype and put some credit on to my account to test it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to show my cell number as the outgoing number. I looked through every option in the settings menu a bunch of times and I am not seeing it all, of course I have the Android version.

You can do it on the website:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/allfeatures/caller-identification/

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There seem to be more pentaband android phone now. Huawei P1 is pentaband, cost about 10% more than Galaxy Nexus in China.

(There is also the Huawei D1 (P1 w/ larger screen) not release yet. Also an used Nokia n9 you can flash to Android.)

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 26, 2012

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I'm looking to set up a visiting researcher in my lab with a prepaid sim (for use in a non-smartphone) for about three months. Her GSM phone should be happy on ATT's network, but a quick glance at the pricing options leads me to believe that H2O might be a much better deal. The fact that you can call internationally for the same price as domestic is pretty intriguing, but it sounds like their customer service is a mess. The majority of internet reviews seem terrible, but so far the information I can find is sparse and limited to poorly written reviews on bestbuy.com.

Can anybody tell me about the reliability of the actual phone service (not just customer service) for this and similar companies (and would I be better off in the end just going with ATT directly?)

marmot25 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 27, 2012

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
So I lost my iPhone and looking at upgrading to a 4. If I was to buy an AT&T locked iPhone 4 could I switch to Straight Talk without having unlock it? Just want to double check before I spend $250.

I really don't use much data so I'm not concerned about their cut-off. I think I hit 100mb about mid-way through the month. I do use my phone to actually talk to family and text more so are they pretty good about that?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 29, 2012

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
After having the Sensation and the $30/4G plan on T-Mobile for two months now I don't even care that I have two phones (I was actually given another work phone today too). I'm spending half as much as some of my friends who have worse constraints on their cell phone plans. Between my two phones I have more than double what they do, just at the added inconvenience of carrying around more than one phone.

This thread rocks. Thank you all for opening me up to pre-paid cell phone service.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I just noticed that I can bill app purchases on my windows phone directly to my T-mobile prepaid account balance. That's pretty cool. For some reason I assumed that carrier billing only worked on postpaid accounts.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know for sure now if the SGS III international version can do Tmobile Pentaband? Or is it crippled to something really bad? I'd hold out for the US version but now rumors are saying it's going to be dual-core which loses the only good feature they pulled through with in the first place.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

marmot25 posted:

Can anybody tell me about the reliability of the actual phone service (not just customer service) for this and similar companies (and would I be better off in the end just going with ATT directly?)
It's the same towers and there's almost no difference. The only factor is that AT&T might prioritize their own customers in cases when a tower is overcrowded, but that isn't the situation in day-to-day use.

cheese eats mouse posted:

So I lost my iPhone and looking at upgrading to a 4. If I was to buy an AT&T locked iPhone 4 could I switch to Straight Talk without having unlock it? Just want to double check before I spend $250.

I really don't use much data so I'm not concerned about their cut-off. I think I hit 100mb about mid-way through the month. I do use my phone to actually talk to family and text more so are they pretty good about that?
Based on what I've heard (internet rumors) you're good to go, as long as you know about MMS being tricky/nonfunctional, and note that iPhones use MMS for group texting.

If you do it report back to us on your experience.

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone know for sure now if the SGS III international version can do Tmobile Pentaband? Or is it crippled to something really bad? I'd hold out for the US version but now rumors are saying it's going to be dual-core which loses the only good feature they pulled through with in the first place.
The International SIII (i9300) does NOT support UMTS on the AWS frequencies. Sorry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III#Model_comparison_table

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Rastor posted:

If you do it report back to us on your experience.

Will do. The phone will be here Friday and I'll buy a SIM card and get eveything going that night. I searched the Internet as well and people are saying it's possible. There is also supposedly a jailbreak work around for MMS.

I didn't mind having my 3GS on T-Mobile. The only downsides were I only had access to 2G and the loss of GPS so I'm hoping the StraightTalk plan will work. T-Mobile has been great with their customer service. I'd rank them up there with American Express and Apple. Just my experiences though.

I'm hoping the market saturation on iPhones will reach a point where this crap isn't a big deal anymore and they're available on post-paid plans. A girl can dream.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 31, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm hoping the market saturation on iPhones will reach a point where this crap isn't a big deal anymore and they're available on post-paid plans. A girl can dream.
Assuming you meant to say prepaid plans, your wish has been granted, at least partially.

Starting June 5, Page Plus (Verizon towers) is doubling their data allowance to 2GB and allowing activation of used Verizon iPhones.

Starting June 22, Cricket Wireless (Sprint + a few of their own towers) is selling new iPhones.

Both options will be $55/month for service. And of course you'll only be getting CDMA 3G rather than HSPA+ 4G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Is there any solution for using GrooveIP and having it NOT ring my non-VOIP line when I'm on wifi? I saw that solution using Tasker above, but I'd rather something simpler if at all possible. It'd be nice if I could just tell Google Voice to "ring" Google Chat three times, then ring my cell three times, then dump to my cell's voicemail (as I'm T-Mobile and can't use Google Voice's voicemail).

• Locked thread