Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:
Unless you're a human, changing careers always cost at least 1 XP (Advance), often more, and even if you go back to a past career. But a single XP is incredibly valuable, since you trade it 1-for-1 for anything from powers to skill trainings to HP (as well as career progress). That cost looks prohibitive. Non-humans seems to be extremely heavily encouraged to stick to their career for the whole 10 levels.

Same for taking non-career advances, really. I get that there should be a penalty for it, but one whole XP of penalty (on top of no career progress) is a really big deal.

vv True, but so does everyone else, and they get an action card out of it. vv

Turing sex machine fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Turing sex machine posted:

Unless you're a human, changing careers always cost at least 1 XP (Advance), often more, and even if you go back to a past career. But a single XP is incredibly valuable, since you trade it 1-for-1 for anything from powers to skill trainings to HP (as well as career progress). That cost looks prohibitive. Non-humans seems to be extremely heavily encouraged to stick to their career for the whole 10 levels.

Same for taking non-career advances, really. I get that there should be a penalty for it, but one whole XP of penalty (on top of no career progress) is a really big deal.

You get 1 XP just for showing up to a session with a pulse, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Unless you're a human, changing careers always cost at least 1 XP (Advance), often more, and even if you go back to a past career. But a single XP is incredibly valuable, since you trade it 1-for-1 for anything from powers to skill trainings to HP (as well as career progress). That cost looks prohibitive. Non-humans seems to be extremely heavily encouraged to stick to their career for the whole 10 levels
Is this in a response to a thing someone posted or just a general statement about careers? It takes 10XP to finish a career, plus between 1 and 3XP to buy your new career, plus 1xp to get the dedication bonus. So usually 12XP total. You get 1XP for showing up and usually everyone will get another XP, so it's rare that anyone would ever actually change career before completion. The rule is only really there to leave the option for career switching open without making it cheap (e:cheap as in cheesey) way to get out-of-career advances.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 9, 2012

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

It really depends on what you're looking for. Swapping careers often means more opportunities to buy more Talents and Actions, increase new primary Characteristics, etc without having to buy stuff you might not want (career skills, wounds, whatever). It's also a way to specialize - if yo're in a primarily social career and you want combat capability, switching Careers is the way to go. Completing a career is cool for the dedication bonus but it's not always worth it. (It usually is though.)
Plus, it's something everyone has to do. (non-humans also have the advantage of access to some specialized careers humans don't.)

Splicer posted:

You get 1XP for showing up and usually everyone will get another XP, so it's rare that anyone would ever actually change career before completion.

If everybody doesn't get the same amount of XP you're playing wrong.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mikan posted:

If everybody doesn't get the same amount of XP you're playing wrong.
That's what I meant by "everyone". As in "usually bonus XP will be handed out to everyone, with the alternative being no bonus XP handed out that session".

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
With my group we've usually given out 2xp per session, and a bonus after completing an adventure. The adventures have each lasted two session, so by the end of the fourth session everyone had completed their first careers and had enough leftover to change to their second.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies

Splicer posted:

Is this in a response to a thing someone posted or just a general statement about careers?
Just a general statement. I'm reading through the rules and asking about things that seem weird. You make good points though, thanks.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
Correction for the OP: the Adventurer's Toolkit doesn't contain extra dices. The only way to get more dices (other than the GM Vault which you do not need) is by buying them directly.

I can see the usefulness of naming similar products "Guide", "Vault" and "Toolkit", but god-drat is it confusing. I'd say don't buy any Guide or Vault but no, the Creature Vault break the rule by not being a reprint of Core Box content.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I ended up picking up the Guides & Vaults, but only because my local shop didn't have in the Core Set, and the guy offered a ridiculously steep discount so that it wasn't much more than the Core Set would have been. Is there anything I would have missed from the Core Set by only having the associated Guides & Vaults?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Correction for the OP: the Adventurer's Toolkit doesn't contain extra dices. The only way to get more dices (other than the GM Vault which you do not need) is by buying them directly.

I can see the usefulness of naming similar products "Guide", "Vault" and "Toolkit", but god-drat is it confusing. I'd say don't buy any Guide or Vault but no, the Creature Vault break the rule by not being a reprint of Core Box content.
Corrected, I couldn't remember if the AV had any dice in it.

And yeah, the vault/kit thing is confusing. That said if you already have the core set then the GM's vault can be viewed as a dice expansion set + 16$ of tokens, standups and dupe character cards, so if you're looking to buy more dice it's not a bad way to go.

e: Huh, player's vault has some dark-skinned human and generic dwarf standups. Didn't know that.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I ended up picking up the Guides & Vaults, but only because my local shop didn't have in the Core Set, and the guy offered a ridiculously steep discount so that it wasn't much more than the Core Set would have been. Is there anything I would have missed from the Core Set by only having the associated Guides & Vaults?
Here's a good comparison:
http://diceofdoom.com/blog/2011/03/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-core-set-vs-guides-and-vaults/

Short version: You're down a few dice, generic tokens, and Wizard/Cleric fluff. On the other hand, you're up disease/mutation rules and table versions of their effects, as well as some expanded rules options. If you got it for about the cost of the base set I'd say you came out on top, especially since the Monster Vault is a pro-buy no matter what.

e: You're down a few generic physical bits but come out well on top mechanicswise and overall fluffwise. Bitswise I'm jealous of your location dupes.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 10, 2012

Han Yolo
Feb 14, 2012
So is there any point to the Creature Guide if I'm planning on getting the Creature Vault?

Cock Goblin
Mar 25, 2008

gobblegobblegobblegobble
thats all i do around here

1Q84 posted:

So is there any point to the Creature Guide if I'm planning on getting the Creature Vault?

I like the Creature Guide because it's really nice to get fluff on the creatures. On top of that, they also toss in examples of how to use them for a story, which is useful. They have all the stats of them (obviously not ones that come with expansions) and it's just kind of a useful book to look back on.However, all the cards come with the stats and whatever, so if you know the setting well enough you should be fine. I also think the core box has most of that stuff in it?

I like mine for the sake of it being convenient and handy to look at, but it's not ABSOLUTELY necessary. If you have a local game store, browse through it and see if it's worth it to you.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007
I'm running my first WHF game this Saturday, and I have a few questions:

1- Do all talents and power cards fully recharge after each battle, or is there a Story Mode timer for them that I am missing?

2 - Any advice on a good 4-man, all human team? I understand the rules well enough to make pregens, but I'm not familiar enough to understand the group dynamics enough to stat out a balanced adventuring party. Right now I'm thinking Apprentice Wizard, Barber-Surgeon, Hunter, Thug, since it gives a good mix of reckless and conservative, social and combat, close and ranged. One of the players is a gaming veteran so I'm giving him the Wiz, but the rest are randomly passed out. I'd have loved to just to random draw for careers, but I having everyone look through the powers and talents sound like it would take forever.

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.

Assumethisisreal posted:

I'm running my first WHF game this Saturday

I'm doing mine tonight and am a bit nervous. Most recently we've been doing very storygamey stuff like Danger Patrol, FATE style stuff, etc. I'd like to move to something crunchier and do a campaign, any advice from the more experienced GMs?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Assumethisisreal posted:

2 - Any advice on a good 4-man, all human team? I understand the rules well enough to make pregens, but I'm not familiar enough to understand the group dynamics enough to stat out a balanced adventuring party.

A group of any 4 Careers is likely to do fine. General creation advice:
  • Give everyone at least one decent combat action and one decent out of combat action. Partly because actions are fun, but also to make sure everyone has something useful to do in every situation. Even a social/intellectual guy benefits from a combat action that forces an enemy to disengage, for example, while the tough guy can use something intimidating.
  • Always on talents are easier to use and remember than talents you have to exhaust. Especially the talents on the party sheet.
  • Anybody on the front lines should aim for some decent armor. Combat's rough.

quote:

Right now I'm thinking Apprentice Wizard, Barber-Surgeon, Hunter, Thug, since it gives a good mix of reckless and conservative, social and combat, close and ranged. One of the players is a gaming veteran so I'm giving him the Wiz, but the rest are randomly passed out.

Avoid the Wizard your first time out. Maybe even your first few. During your first game of WFRP 3e you're learning:

• Funky dice! WFRP 3e dice own but they're new and you need to get used to them.
  • A whole pile of cards. Wound cards, action cards, talent cards, condition cards, maybe even insanity and mutation cards depending on which sets you have.
  • an ownage system that doesn't explain itself very well
  • the setting maybe if you're using it

As the GM you've already got a ton of stuff to do and learn. If you're anything like me you also have to be on top of the rules since you'll be teaching everyone else and making sure they get it right. That means on top of the other new stuff you're also learning channeling and miscasts. It's not such a huge thing that you can't use the Wizard or Priest your first game but they are more complex and it's another thing to keep track of.

coeranys posted:

I'm doing mine tonight and am a bit nervous. Most recently we've been doing very storygamey stuff like Danger Patrol, FATE style stuff, etc. I'd like to move to something crunchier and do a campaign, any advice from the more experienced GMs?

At its core WFRP 3e isn't all that complex. Roll the dice, interpret the symbols (which ends up being pretty loose and collaborative to be honest). Get your players involved with what the symbols mean and what happens. That's my most important piece of advice, make the dice fun.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007
Awesome, thanks for the advice on passive talents rather than exhaustible. Ill also try and give everyone a social skill in addition to combat.

How about skills? Is there anything that a party really needs, or can I just sort of grab arbitrary skills listed on the career card?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

You should be fine. In my experience good characteristics and actions are more important than the die you get from a trained skill (though a trained skill itself can be a prerequisite for cool actions). The career skills are generally a good set for that career.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

coeranys posted:

How are you prepping for your game? Are you doing pregens or having players make their own? Are you running one of the published adventures?

Also, post after the game and Tell me about DICE. I've got four players plus myself, and I'm wondering if I should go out and buy more dice or the iPhone app before the game.

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

I recommend listening to some of the Live Plays on the Reckless Dice podcast. I'm getting ready to start running for the first time, and those sessions plus the main biweekly episodes have really helped with my understanding of the nuances of the system.

Are you doing pre generated characters or are they creating their own? If the latter, I highly recommend using the standard pick-3 random system rather than letting them choose. Part of the beauty of WFRP is that you are playing individuals, not classes. If you let them pick right off the bat, you'll see a lot of soldiers, mercenaries, bounty hunters, etc. You lose out on the chance to play say a commoner (farmer's son who takes off to see the world after goblins burn the farm), or similar role playing opportunities.

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.

Assumethisisreal posted:

How are you prepping for your game? Are you doing pregens or having players make their own? Are you running one of the published adventures?

Also, post after the game and Tell me about DICE. I've got four players plus myself, and I'm wondering if I should go out and buy more dice or the iPhone app before the game.

I've been terribly busy at work so I didn't have time to get deep into prepping for my own session. I did one of the demo things they have on their site (Journey to Black Fire Pass) and it was alright, not amazing but pretty good. It could have been WAY better if I'd had the half hour free to read the thing before I started running it, but I'm alright at improv and I have a good group whose style works well with the game and who love love love mechanics, so this was right in their wheelhouse, and everyone got into it and enjoyed it.

After the session we spent about an hour (after our normal end time) doing character creation for a campaign we'll be starting next week, so apparently even with me fumbling through and not having the core book with me (my core set showed up with 2 wizard books and no core set, so I'm waiting for them to send me the core book) it went alright.

Now I need to actually prepare something for next week.

PS. Holy poo poo did the sheets I printed for the pre-gen story look like poo poo. The default sheets use way too fine print for the dark background behind it, maybe it's because we're old, but it was nearly impossible to read the ones I printed, and the ones that came in the core set weren't much better, at least when it came to reading the skills. I'm going to print out some 3rd party sheets to use during play.

Dear You
Nov 1, 2011
I need to compile a bunch of information for my GM about Warhammer lore. I have almost everything ever published for the rpg lines, heaps of novels and a few forge books. I need some help to narrow the scope and include information that will be helpful to running adventures in the Empire . So, what sort of stuff do you guys think would be essential to a GM?

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Tysonium posted:

Are you doing pre generated characters or are they creating their own? If the latter, I highly recommend using the standard pick-3 random system rather than letting them choose.

Assumethisisreal posted:

Right now I'm thinking Apprentice Wizard, Barber-Surgeon, Hunter, Thug, since it gives a good mix of reckless and conservative, social and combat, close and ranged. One of the players is a gaming veteran so I'm giving him the Wiz, but the rest are randomly passed out. I'd have loved to just to random draw for careers, but I having everyone look through the powers and talents sound like it would take forever.

;)

quote:

You lose out on the chance to play say a commoner (farmer's son who takes off to see the world after goblins burn the farm), or similar role playing opportunities.

Isn't this the default background for every fighter-jock ever created? I think it's just part RPGs to be a farmer's son with his father's sword going out to make his place in the world at least once. If you're in an OSR game, I'm pretty sure EVERY character is a farmer's son!

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007
Excellent decisions made in today's game:

-Putting a wizard's apprentice in charge of the party
-Scissors as "hand weapon"
-Generating five banes while pathfinding through mountain hexes at night to avoid spending the silver on an overpriced inn.
-Saving a carriage from beastmen, and then killing the coachmen to steal the carriage

Edit: Actual first-play reflections

-My players seemed to find "swords cancel hammers, skulls cancel eagles, comet's are great, and stars are bad" easier than the real names. That being said, the dice where a big hit. Everyone loves gimmick dice.

-Monsters are really weak when you forget to use their Aggression and Cunning dice.

-It's hard to remember to throw misfortune and fortune dice around. This may be just because I was spending too much of my attention reminding people of the rules, I'm not sure. In the future I think my rule of thumb should be adding one dice plus or minus every time.

-Monster balance in general is a little hard. I guess D&D 4e spoiled me with the XP budget system, because monster ratings in skulls just wasn't cutting it for me.

-Reckless stance wizards generate a remarkable amount of stress.

-Health goes up and down FAST. A Wargor can knock out half of your health in one hit, but a couple first aid rolls and you're back to fully healed.

Assumethisisreal fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 15, 2012

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm about to begin a game later today as well. Not sure I'll have time for a full adventure, but was thinking after running the group through character creation I'd also use the Day Late, Shilling Short scenario just to teach them how combat works, before transitioning to An Eye for an Eye or Winds of Change later in the week.

I appreciate your first play reflections! Hopefully all will go well and I can provide some of mine later.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm about to begin a game later today as well. Not sure I'll have time for a full adventure, but was thinking after running the group through character creation I'd also use the Day Late, Shilling Short scenario just to teach them how combat works, before transitioning to An Eye for an Eye or Winds of Change later in the week.

I appreciate your first play reflections! Hopefully all will go well and I can provide some of mine later.

Just a warning: Don't play up the fat merchant's entrance too much, with all the shouting and "pick up my luggage and I'll give thee a shilling!", because, in the case of my players at least, they shot him with a crossbow bolt immediately.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, I read through that Dice of Doom overview of what sorts of things each set has, but I'm still a little confused. I just got my game shop to order me a copy of the core set, but my group is probably going to be 5-6 players when I run. I know the core set's designed around 3 players, so should I pick up the Player's Vault, too? Or is there a better way to go?

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

It mainly depends on whether your players are going to shoulder any of the burden in purchasing materials. If they are, recommend one or two pick up a Player's Guide. The guide has all of what they need to play, including information from Signs of Faith and Winds of Magic (the faith and magic sources). They can just write down card info

Dice are available in the GM Vault and Core set, and in blister packs. If you need enough for 6 people, and want to still use all of the cards, it is actually more cost effective to buy a second core set than to buy the Player's Vault and extra dice. You can get it from places like Amazon for about $62; just have each player chip in $10 for game materials and you'll be set for the table. You can also still find $5 copies of the GM's Toolkit online which contains a useful guide as well as a beautiful 4-panel GM screen.

The Adventurer's Toolkit is useful for the extra careers (yay Ratcatcher and his small but vicious dog!), and SoF and WoM for the casters. Black Fire Pass has great info for Dwarf characters, and you'll eventually want Omens of War and Lure of Power for information on the Ruinous Powers of Khorne and Slaanesh (Nurgle and Tzeentch are covered in Signs of Faith and Winds of Magic especially.

Honestly at this point there isn't a single product they've put out that I would skip or call useless. Everything adds tons of new actions, wound cards, insanities, etc, and they are all well worth it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Tysonium posted:

It mainly depends on whether your players are going to shoulder any of the burden in purchasing materials.

Pfft, HAHAHA. Nope. Not a huge deal, though. I think I may just try running the core with them and seeing where the weak links are in terms of stuff. I did score a copy of the DM Toolkit, though. I'm also going through my local place, so the core set is somewhat (read: 10% off retail) more expensive, but everything else from there is pretty much either on par with Amazon's 3rd party or better. It would honestly be a lot cheaper for more bits if I go with my FLGS and score the Player's Vault, and two extra sets of dice.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I don't think extra dice are strictly necessary; we share the set and it hasn't caused many issues. There's also an iPod app that does WFRP dice, it's cool.

You'll only have a few issues running for more players with only the base stuff. The dice of course, but the base set only comes with three (four?) sets of the basic action cards. If you share or print off extra sets then you'll be fine.

Tysonium is right about all of the sets having awesome stuff. I never, ever buy adventures/modules but I have The Edge of Night and plan on picking up at least The Gathering Storm. (I basically want every single WFRP 3e thing)

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies

Mikan posted:

You'll only have a few issues running for more players with only the base stuff. The dice of course, but the base set only comes with three (four?) sets of the basic action cards.
Three. The Adventurer's Toolkit has a few more, as well as extra tracking tokens, stress markers and the like. It does seem a good idea if you expect more than 3 players.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

The Adventurer's Toolkit is definitely a great purchase.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Alright, once I get my core set and get a chance to go through it, I'll get an Adventurer's Toolkit. Thanks for the advice!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Mikan posted:

Tysonium is right about all of the sets having awesome stuff. I never, ever buy adventures/modules but I have The Edge of Night and plan on picking up at least The Gathering Storm. (I basically want every single WFRP 3e thing)

For someone who is interested in some of the adventures/modules, would you recommend any of them (or the edge of night?). I know you said you don't really use the setting, but I'm curious if it at least looks well written or interesting.

I was able to run through character creation with my group yesterday, but as someone wasn't able to make it I'm holding off running the first game until Wednesday. Right now I've got a Thief, Ratcatcher, and Grey Wizard Apprentice running around, with a fourth yet to be made. Since they seem more focused on the investigation side of things than the combat, I will probably run Winds of Change and then have that lead into Eye for an Eye (with some adjustments to make the cult there part of the Broken Wheel).

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I'm away from my WFRP 3e stuff and probably will be for a few days but yeah, I'll post a thing or two about The Edge of Night.

I don't dislike the setting and I definitely use it, it's just the system is so good I want to use it for lots of other stuff too. In retrospect I have used the actual Warhammer setting.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I have The Gathering Storm and The Witch's Song. Both feature recurring themes of muck, poverty, and good/evil not being apparent visually. Both have factions and sides and a variety of outcomes depending on the players' choices. The Gathering Storm also has a, well, gathering storm, and the weather gets really, really bad over the course of the adventure, to the extent that the party will probably change its tactics.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I think the Witch's Song is the best of the published adventures. It's not that long but has a lot of good NPCs, some interesting dilemmas for players to find creative solutions for (especially if you play the witch hunter as escalating in fanaticism) and a really good mix of combat and investigation. The Winds of Magic and Signs of Faith adventures are also both quite good. Omens of War is quite different to the other ones and is (for obvious reasons) very combat based. I haven't run the Lure of Power one but it seems similar to the Edge of Night with a lot of social stuff.

I also highly recommend some of the 2e adventures which you can find for free online (legally - contest winners) - they are easy to adapt. Look for Rough Night at the Three Feathers for an all time classic- you may have to buy it on eBay or something.

They have also announced they are releasing a reworked version of the old WFRP1 campaign The Enemy Within which is considered (at least the first parts) one of the best all time RPG prewritten campaigns. I think it comes out later this year. At least one of the original authors is involved.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Echophonic posted:

but my group is probably going to be 5-6 players when I run. I know the core set's designed around 3 players, so should I pick up the Player's Vault, too? Or is there a better way to go?

Id still ask everyone to chip in :10bux: for another core set. I have 5-6 players a game as well, and while I fully endorse the Player's Kit, you'd be better off with doubling your number of dice, tokens, and frankly, rule books to look things up with mid game. In the four player game I ran this weekend, with just core and the Kit, I was already feeling the crunch from too few bits.

Assumethisisreal fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 17, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My set arrived today. I have to say, it looks very loving nice. The rules aren't confusing so far, but I'm only up to the chapter on Actions, so I guess I'm about to run into the harder-to-understand stuff.

It looks like this will be a very newbie-friendly game though.

Is it recommended to try using the magic system in your first few sessions? I haven't got up to that part of the rules yet, but I've heard it's a bit confusing. My players will be fine if I say "no magic careers" in the first adventure, but is there any reason for a group with heaps of RPG experience to do that?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

There's only one magic Career and one divine Career in the set, so their absence wouldn't be all that notable. If you do random Careers they're unlikely to come up.

I would suggest avoiding magic at first, but it's not going to destroy your first attempt if you use it. Likely only one person's gonna have it though so you'll be teaching every single new person the core rules while one player has to learn all those plus a separate magic system.
My group has a lot of experience with all kinds of different systems and we still ignored magic at first. Between Talents and Actions and the dice we had so many fun things to do it didn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Is it recommended to try using the magic system in your first few sessions? I haven't got up to that part of the rules yet, but I've heard it's a bit confusing. My players will be fine if I say "no magic careers" in the first adventure, but is there any reason for a group with heaps of RPG experience to do that?

If you let someone use the magic rules right at the start make sure they have access to the rules for it ahead of time. It's not an impossible thing to play just starting but it will take more time to get than simpler characters will. I'm running my group through the 13th Age playtest for now but before I got invited we all made Warhammer guys and my most experienced player took a few days to learn the magic stuff.

Still... I just wanna run a Warhammer game. :(

• Locked thread