Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cock Goblin posted:

I can't wait for Hero's Call to finally get released. We're planning on restarting our adventures once all the new player races are released (but jeez I'm running out of space to HOLD everything.)
I opened my copy yesterday. It is awesome.

Yoshimo posted:

When we tried to make characters I think the thing that made us give up is when we got told "ok now pick <x> amount of Action Cards," and we just sat looking at this huge deck of cards with no clue what was good and what was bad. I'd have liked to have seen lists for each class that they could have picked from.
Do you just have the base set? If so, do the following:

Separate out the Basic, Magic and Religion cards and put them to one side. This will knock down the pile considerably.

Pour your points into ability scores and skills. This will leave you with just needing to pick your free action card.

Don't look a the mechanics of the cards. Just look at the names and what skill they use. Give your melee guy a melee card with a cool looking name, your ranged guy a ranged card with a cool looking name, if you have a sword and board guy give him the "sword and board" card (though that may be in AV, not sure), and if someone has put a lot of points into talk give them one of the fellowship based cards.

Frontloading with skills and stats is the most newbie-friendly way to enter the game. As you get a feel for the system you can pick up focusses and new action cards and such, but for your first character building session just take a bunch of hitmore/yellmore/rollmore and a single neat-looking power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
There are lists in the Player's Guide. You can play it with just books and dice if you want.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I ran a demo of it on MapTool last night, also my first attempt to play it with other live people. A lot of things didn't go very well, but I am thinking about how to improve the MapTool experience of WFRP.

I started with this stuff. I made macros that spit out action cards, which was a big help, if labor-intensive initially. I want to get party sheets and some progress tracks scanned in as images and such, and be able to move tokens along them. The big problem is movement -- has anyone dealt with this on MapTool, or on a grid (because that's what the table had)?

In other news, I am also interested in getting people together to try it all again on MapTool. My regular group is up for 4e, but weren't really into learning a new system and the game suffered. This thread is a good place to (re)start, since you all like the game in theory or in practice. I have not mastered Portforwardmancy and can't host, unfortunately, but am willing to fumble through the GMing part if you will bear with me; even better if people are also interested in trying GMing.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:

homullus posted:

I ran a demo of it on MapTool last night, also my first attempt to play it with other live people. A lot of things didn't go very well, but I am thinking about how to improve the MapTool experience of WFRP.
Do you happen to have a screenshot of how WHFRP looks like on MapTool?

My copy just arrived, I like everything I've seen so far. What is the "prepare manoeuvre", as mentioned on Sniper Shot? The rulebook is not clear.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Just picked this game up as well, and looking forward to running it. My group usually just plays board games, and I'm hoping the ease of running/playing this (plus a million components to play with) will make it easy for them to jump into an RPG. I suppose it helps that they've been prepared for the setting after Chaos in the Old World.

Are there any tips for GMing the system for the first time? Does the intro scenario "Eye for an Eye" work out well?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Cock Goblin posted:

Also, did anyone here actually choose their jobs when they began adventuring or did they draw 3 from a deck and choose one?

Our first game I provided about fifteen pregens for everyone to pick from. In future games we've gone with draw three, pick one because it's fun. (We let one guy pick since he wasn't down with random draw, which was fine too.)

Also somebody asked for an example of character creation about a million years ago and I don't know if anybody ever did so

Creating a Character

Step 1: Race

At this point you can select from Human, Dwarf, Wood Elf or High Elf (working from the core book). You can also roll randomly - which is what I'm going to do. Roll four Fortune (white) dice and count the number of hammers.
One hammer means Human or Dwarf, so I'm gonna go with Human.

As a Human (Reiklander, whatever) I'm adaptable (can change Careers easily) and diverse (more character creation points), and fairly lucky and tough (decent wound threshold, can add two Fortune dice once per session)

Step 2: Career

You can either draw three Careers and keep one, draw one at random or just pick what you want. Let's keep this exciting and draw three, keep one.
Some Careers require specific races. If you aren't eligible for one of your Careers, keep redrawing until you have three valid Careers.

(note: I have a bunch of the expansions and I'm not going to bother taking them out of the Career pile)
I drew Thug, Coachman and Bailiff.
Thug is a straightforward combat type, available to Humans or Dwarves. Its primary characteristics are Strength and Agility, its career skills are things like Athletics and Weapon Skill. The two Talent slots are for Tactics, which are generally combat-oriented. No surprise, the stance tracker is one Conservative and 3 Reckless.
The Coachman is more balanced. Toughness and Agility are the primary characteristics, so starts out fast and tough. It also has a nice mix of skills - things like Ballistic Skill and Resilience, but also utility like Animal Handling or Ride. With an even Stance meter (two Conservative, two Reckless) and both a Reputation and a Tactic slot, the Coachman is fairly flexible.
Then we've got the Bailiff. Dude gets Toughness and Fellowship, so we're looking at a social character who can take a hit or two. Skills are focused more on the social end - Charm, Folklore, Guile, Intimidate - along with Resilience. Reputation and Focus Talent slots reinforce this, so the Bailiff probably won't be the most effective fighter. Stance is two Conservative, two Reckless so we've got room to go either calm diplomat or crazy agitator.

Let's go with the Bailiff, since this way we can look at some of the cool social/mental abilities while still having a chance to look into combat. Gonna name him Ayre Essman, tax collector for the king.
As a Bailiff, our Career card lets us add 1 fortune point to the party's fortune pool the first time our Bailiff suffers stress in an encounter. Not bad.

Step 3: Creation Points

As mentioned earlier, we start with 25 creation points (instead of 20, like non-human characters). Let's see what we can spend that on.

Characteristics
As a Human, we start with a two in all of the characteristics. Because he's a Bailiff, Ayre increases Toughness and Fellowship to 3 for free. Yay! Three is considered more or less average for a Human.
Increasing characteristics requires a number of points equal to the new score. So, going from 3 to 4 costs 4 points. Pretty simple.
We want Ayre to be tough and charming, and let's make him a decent melee fighter too. I'll spend 3 points increasing Strength to 3, and let's spend 8 points increasing Toughness and Fellowship to 4 each. Another 3 for Intelligence while we're at it. Unfortunately he's not very agile and he likes to skim a bit off the top.
14/25

Strength 3
Toughness 4
Agility 2
Intelligence 3
Willpower 2
Fellowship 4

Wealth, Skills, Talents

So basically everything else.
You spend creation points to determine how wealthy you are. At 0 you've got the clothes on your back and not much more. For 3, you've got a bunch of nice poo poo and 5 gold. Ayre's been stealing money from his collections for years, so let's spend 2 points to make him affluent (nice things, a weapon, 2 gold).
16/25

We also spend creation points on training skills. For 0 you get just 1 skill training, while 3 points nets you 4 trained skills and 2 specialties. We're gonna go for that option.
19/25

Same for Talents. 0 gets you 0 Talents, 3 gets you 3 talents. Let's be generous and pick up 3 talents so we can slot one on the party sheet.
22/25

Money: We start with a nice set of traveling clothes, an extra set of clothes and a few things like candles and other mundane stuff. We also get our pick of weapon - he seems like the type to carry around a small but intimidating axe, so we'll call that a hand weapon. He's justifiably worried about his enemies, so he'll wear Chainmail (1g) under his clothes. Then we can spend the other gold piece on some miscellaneous stuff and keep some money for later purchases/bribes.
Skills: We can train the skills we have on our Career. Let's go with Charm (to stay out of trouble), Guile (to lie about it), Intimidate (to cause trouble) and Resilience (to survive it). We'll take the Appear Innocent specialty for Guile and the Politics specialty for Intimidate.
Talents: We get 3 Talents, and have a Focus and a Reputation slot on our Career card. We want to pick at least one of each Focus and Reputation, while our third Talent depends on the party sheet (or we can keep it for ourselves, and swap Talents around as necessary. :twisted: ) For Reputation let's go with I Know A Guy, which we can exhaust for two extra Fortune (white) dice on a Fellowship check. (Ayre's well connected.) Skeptical is our Focus talent - anyone who uses Guile against Ayre gets a Misfortune (black) die. The third Talent is for our hypothetical party sheet's Reputation slot - Notorious (anybody rolling with Ayre is probably up to no good) and so everyone in the party gets an extra Fortune (white) die when they use Guile. Lying owns.

Actions

You've probably figured it out by now. You can spend up to 3 points to get extra Action cards. Conveniently, we have exactly three points left so we get 4 extra Action cards.
25/25

Ayre starts out with the following cards:
  • Assess the Situation
  • Block
  • Guarded Position
  • Melee Attack
  • Parry
  • Perform a Stunt
  • Ranged Attack

That's the basic Action set, minus Dodge (he's not Agile enough). That's not a bad set but let's see if we can take advantage of his Fellowship and make him a social monster.
Since it matters most here, I imagine Ayre as a guy who's pretty Conservative until he thinks he has the upper hand, so I'm paying most attention to the Conservative side of these cards.

For a general combat card, I'm going with Beat Back. It has a neat feature where we get an extra Fortune die while using it since we have Resilience trained. It hits for normal damage, and with enough successes/boons/comets it knocks away enemies and lets party members recharge their cards faster and can hit someone so hard they get Sluggish for 3 rounds. On the Reckless side of the card it kinda sucks so we'll try to avoid using it when Ayre's mad.

It's better if we can avoid fighting entirely, though. Winning Smile helps with that. On its Conservative side, it prevents a target from attacking for at least one round (unless it's attacked first, of course). More good things give Ayre bonuses to Charm checks and recover stress - but two Banes means you've made the party more tense, you smug git. (that's literally what the card says.)
The Reckless side is the same as the Conservative side

Honeyed Words is a great utility card. On its Conservative side, you tell someone exactly what they want to hear and if reasonable they'll agree to a request. Getting Boons on this card owns too because you get an extra Fortune die on social actions while it's recharging.
The Reckless side is more brutal. You straight up lie to the target, with the same effect as the Conservative side. It has the Boon effect as well. However, if you roll enough Banes you'll also get a Misfortune die in your social actions against the target.

Let's add a little threat to Ayre's repertoire. Steely Gaze intimidates the target into moving away from you and can't approach you again until your next action. With enough boons it also Rattles the target, but if you get too many Banes the next Charm or Guile check from your party is more difficult.
On the Reckless side it's similar, but you can instead give your opponent the Cowed condition with boons. (Rattled prevents the target from converting dice into Conservative dice, while Cowed does the same for Reckless.)

And there we have it! Ayre is a tough dude who can stare anybody down and pull all kinds of mean social combat tricks. Character creation is actually pretty fast - I could have done it in less than ten minutes if I weren't writing it up - and honestly you could be pretty successful just grabbing whatever Action cards have your best skills/characteristics on them and going from there. Later I might level Ayre up to show how advances work, and then make a Wizard so you can see how it works for them compared to normal people.

I really want to play this now :smith:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Turing sex machine posted:

Do you happen to have a screenshot of how WHFRP looks like on MapTool?

My copy just arrived, I like everything I've seen so far. What is the "prepare manoeuvre", as mentioned on Sniper Shot? The rulebook is not clear.

Messy screenshot. You don't have to have all those things open at once; the character thing, for example, is only visible on mouseover.

My understanding of "Prepare" is that if the card says you need to prepare, you have to spend an extra maneuver to do that or suffer a penalty stated on the card. I don't have a "Prepare" card handy for reference, though.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

There's no specific Prepare card. It's just a maneuver you can take during combat as a requirement to use some powers. It's basically "don't move this turn to use this card". It's on page 52 of the rulebook that comes with the box.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mikan posted:

There's no specific Prepare card. It's just a maneuver you can take during combat as a requirement to use some powers. It's basically "don't move this turn to use this card". It's on page 52 of the rulebook that comes with the box.

Ah, sorry, I meant a card that mentions "prepare", not an actual Prepare action. I was imagining it was one of the keywords, like an Active Defence card.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies

Mikan posted:

Thanks. I had seen that page but wasn't sure that was what they meant.

I love how the Cure Insanity spell has a small chance of making its caster insane that is independent of success. There were a couple of effects like that in D&D 4e when you failed a ritual but you'd quickly outgrow them. In WHFRP you can min-max like a boss, pile up bonus dices to the heavens, but that purple dice with its chaos symbol is never going away.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Thanks. I had seen that page but wasn't sure that was what they meant.

That's basically WFRP 3e summed up in a sentence. I wish the rules were clearer and better presented.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Mikan posted:

I wish the rules were clearer and better presented.

That's Fantasy Flight Games summed up in a sentence.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Paper Kaiju posted:

That's Fantasy Flight Games summed up in a sentence.

Yeah, the one thing this game could use is another game picking up the dice, cleaning up the system, and changing the setting.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Why do you guys poo poo on the setting so much? I know it's the epitome of magical not-Europe, but you guys sound like you think it's worse than Carcosa.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I don't think anybody hates the setting - it's kinda cool. I just don't care about it nearly as much as I do the system.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I like it more than I did at first, now that I have read some more of the background material and see how the major forces work in the world. I think that greenskins talking like football hooligans is A) really, really stupid, B) comic relief at odds with a supposedly grim and perilous setting, and C) one of many signs that the Old World was accreted rather than designed (yes I know I can just not have them do that). The Ruinous Powers are all borderline ridiculous (Nurgle is a buffoon who just loves to let his beloved diseases loose upon the world? really? maybe I am misunderstanding). The peasant's-eye-view of the setting is great, though, with evil and mutation and chaos behind any friendly smile.

I really just want to learn the system well enough so that I can run it in other settings I like more (Eberron!).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ahh, okay. I think the orcs and ruinous powers make a lot more sense if you look at it as a comically grim and perilous setting. I've always thought of the Old World as sort of the Spinal Tap of fantasy settings. But it's good that the rules are easily divorced from all that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's very British Humour, there's no arguing about that I like the orcs they're my favourites squigs are the best

Please note that British Humour and Soul Destroying Horror are in no way mutually exclusive.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Splicer posted:

Please note that British Humour and Soul Destroying Horror are in no way mutually exclusive.

The terms are often synonymous.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

homullus posted:

The Ruinous Powers are all borderline ridiculous (Nurgle is a buffoon who just loves to let his beloved diseases loose upon the world? really? maybe I am misunderstanding).

Nurgle's the hardest god to nail down, because he made it on the roster before they really tried to narrow down the whole 'chaos gods are manifestations of human emotions.' So you get a plague god, because hey, plague demons, but what emotion is that? Khorne gets to be rage/courage/honor/bloodlust, Tzeentch gets to be curiosity/deceit/ambition, Slaanesh gets to be lust/love/sensation, what does that leave Nurgle? There hasn't been a really satisfying answer yet.

Personally, I like to play him up as a twisted harvest god. In worshipers, he inspires gluttony and fecundity. He's a god of unchecked growth as well as consumption. He's a plague god because he loves ALL his childrens, and if one human dies horribly so that a billion germs can live, well, the math checks out!

Edit: vvv The one thing that you can say for sure about the Chaos Gods is that they represent more than a couple paragraphs can encompass. You'll see a dozen interpretations for each one, and come up with your own unique spin, and they're all correct. some are still stupid though

Tendales fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 6, 2012

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

I've been slowly working my way through the Reckless Dice podcasts, and the discussions there have really helped with my understanding of both the game mechanics and the setting. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in WFRP3e.

Episode 4 actually discusses Nurgle in some depth, and now I can appreciate his place in the setting, and where his good humor comes from. Before I was skeptical, having dealt with minis gamers for too long (they aren't all annoying, but some can really take things like "Blood for the Blood God" to irritating heights). But I understand his role now, and will be happy to give him a place of prominence in my games (sorry players).

Give the podcast a listen - it really helps.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The way I can handle/accept the ruinous powers is to imagine that they basically all want the worst of what uncivilized human life is -- disease-ridden, violent, pleasure-driven, and ambitious. They are not all emotions, but conditions that civilization tempers. The ruinous powers (to me) do not want humanity to be destroyed, only its civilization, putting them at odds with both each other and with the other forces that (as I understand it) actually seek the death of humans (like orcs).

I don't worry about the ruinous powers a lot because if I wanted a game where PCs regularly took on world-shaking powers, I'd play D&D 4e.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

homullus posted:

The way I can handle/accept the ruinous powers is to imagine that they basically all want the worst of what uncivilized human life is -- disease-ridden, violent, pleasure-driven, and ambitious. They are not all emotions, but conditions that civilization tempers. The ruinous powers (to me) do not want humanity to be destroyed, only its civilization, putting them at odds with both each other and with the other forces that (as I understand it) actually seek the death of humans (like orcs).

I don't worry about the ruinous powers a lot because if I wanted a game where PCs regularly took on world-shaking powers, I'd play D&D 4e.

I generally treat them as different manifestations of entropy. Though that is probably easier to see from the 40K setting. Eventually everything will be ground down and worn away.

GW is a very different company now than they were when they originally published the setting. The bits of seemingly out of place comical tone are the remnants of that time before everything had to be all GRIM DARK, all the time.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Having read the character writeup, I really can't wait for my box to arrive.

I've always liked the "greenskins are soccer hooligans" thing. They're ugly, not very bright, and only dangerous in a mob. Seems right to me. Also, Warhammer in general tends to be appealing because it's so obviously overblown, turned up to 11, fantasy idiocy. It appeals to the 13 year old boy in all of us.

I know more of the 40k fluff, so...

"There are these dudes, and they're genetically engineered and have two hearts and stuff and are massive and they exist only for battle. Their guns have chainsaw knives attached and shoot rocket propelled exploding bullets" :black101:

"The god emperor of mankind is a thousands-of-years old corpse and is kept alive by a throne that feeds on the souls of the worthy (I think) and is the central thingamajig that lets city sized cathedral looking spaceships which exist only for battle get to the planets that they blow up for questioning the emperor" :black101:

"These green dudes are actually fungi or some poo poo, they live only for battle and charge forward in huge mobs screaming WAAAAAAAGH! They have all this technology that literally works because they're too dumb to realise it's impossible" :black101:

"You know the aliens from Aliens? The are millions and millions of 'em. All different sizes and shapes. They exist only for battle and eat everything forever and give no fucks" :black101:

You know the whole thing's dumb as gently caress, I know the whole thing's dumb as gently caress, but it's so loving stupid that it manages to be awesome.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't need help coming up with really loving dumb settings, though -- I need help coming up with compelling ones. I don't think most of WFRP is dumb; it's just that the really dumb parts stick out for me, in a bad way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ocrumsprug posted:

I generally treat them as different manifestations of entropy. Though that is probably easier to see from the 40K setting. Eventually everything will be ground down and worn away.

GW is a very different company now than they were when they originally published the setting. The bits of seemingly out of place comical tone are the remnants of that time before everything had to be all GRIM DARK, all the time.

It seems to me that they are the dark side to the civilization and order that the Empire tries to maintain. Cities are rife with disease, debauchery, murder, cruelty, schemes and death. Civilization isn't an refuge from Chaos, but a reflection.

If Nurgle the plague god needs an emotional connection, it seems to me that despair, disgust and self destruction are free. Those seem plague-y to me, but I haven't paid much attention to how he actually behaves.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

homullus posted:

I don't need help coming up with really loving dumb settings, though -- I need help coming up with compelling ones. I don't think most of WFRP is dumb; it's just that the really dumb parts stick out for me, in a bad way.

Yeah, I get that. Still, the system probably only exists because someone was able to attach it to the Warhammer IP. Hopefully it gets ported to something more serious. I mean, I'm not into superserious gaming, but something a bit less over the top would be nice too.

Speaking of that, how easily would the system port away from the setting? Is it super tied in? Still waiting for my box, but it seems like the only setting-dependent stuff is the symbols on the dice, and you could probably ignore those pretty easily.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Lotish posted:

It seems to me that they are the dark side to the civilization and order that the Empire tries to maintain. Cities are rife with disease, debauchery, murder, cruelty, schemes and death. Civilization isn't an refuge from Chaos, but a reflection.

If Nurgle the plague god needs an emotional connection, it seems to me that despair, disgust and self destruction are free. Those seem plague-y to me, but I haven't paid much attention to how he actually behaves.
In 40k at least they make more of a deal over his connection to despair. People in desperate situations who've given up on hope turn to him, and rather than fight their terrible situations his worshippers joyfully embrace them, and seek to share them with others.

It's an interesting concept that could be applied much more broadly, and I've been wanting to try a DH campaign where a underhive Nurgle cult tries to sabotage a hive's water & air processors, lights and so on- figuring they're never going to make it out of the underhive, so why not bring the underhive to the rest of the spire. Fantasy-wise you could have villages that turned to Nurgle after a failed harvest and subsist off maggots writhing in their rotting fields, or the members of a failing noble house plotting to engineer a peasant rebellion to drag down all the nobility in their town.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
What's the greatest amount of dice you've rolled? Or the highest number of triggered effects or something. I'm wondering how crazy it can get.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

What's the greatest amount of dice you've rolled? Or the highest number of triggered effects or something. I'm wondering how crazy it can get.

Barring a really lengthy card with a lot of boon or bane lines, you'll likely only see a max of seven effects triggered.

* (1 Success) You can only trigger one "success" line on the card (whichever one you want, of the ones you have enough successes for)
* (2 or 3 Boons) Boons and banes cancel out (so you'd never have both), but you can trigger each boon line on the card once, so if you roll enough boons, you could trigger all the ones on the card and the "always on" one.
* (1 Chaos star/Sigmar's Comet) Chaos stars and comets are rare, but you can always trigger those.
* (1 Delay) If you're rolling conservative dice, you can get delay.
* (1 Exertion) If you're rolling reckless dice, you can get exertion. I am sure I've seen things that could cause you to roll both conservative and reckless dice, but it's rare.

Since comets can be downgraded to boons, though, a lot of the time you'll be happy to have it total up to one success and no other effects.

Edited so I'm not telling filthy lies about the rules.

homullus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 6, 2012

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Lotish posted:

There human nature, full stop.
Civilization doesn't contain or constrain them, it just adapts them. And the worst thing you can do is deny them, because that just makes them become secretive and destructive.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

homullus posted:

and boons down to successes
Turns out you can't actually do that. You can turn a comet into a boon or a success but you need to buy talents to push boons to successes.

I said this wrong in the 5e thread :(

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

AlphaDog posted:

Speaking of that, how easily would the system port away from the setting? Is it super tied in? Still waiting for my box, but it seems like the only setting-dependent stuff is the symbols on the dice, and you could probably ignore those pretty easily.

I have never played WFRP 3e in the Warhammer Fantasy setting.
It worked extremely well for Dark Sun - fairly lethal, magic is A Bad Thing - and it's my new go-to for Dark Sun games. Sorry, D&D.

The only issues with running it in other settings are all optional parts. Remove the Sanity system, remove the Miscast deck (so Tzeentch doesn't eat wizards) and you should be good to go. (Wizards can still have crazy poo poo happen by reading the dice, Banes and Chaos Stars are still bad but you won't have like crazy mutations and other things happening). Because of the cards and a strong foundation mechanic it's really easy to remove or add rules to make it fit your game better.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I want to run a Call of Cthulhu game in the system. Swap miscasts for the insanity deck and away you go.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Mikan posted:

I have never played WFRP 3e in the Warhammer Fantasy setting.
It worked extremely well for Dark Sun - fairly lethal, magic is A Bad Thing - and it's my new go-to for Dark Sun games. Sorry, D&D.

Yeah, I can see it lending itself very well to Dark Sun. I think it would be a surprisingly good system for Spelljammer. The abstract movement, wound cards, and open skill and action systems could make for some really great fantasy boat combat.

Vylan Antagonist
Jun 5, 2005

Much less clever than he looks
Tortured By Flan
I'm working up to running a game now that I've bought all of these various cards and dice, but I'm a little unsure of how to handle action cards.

I've read the FAQ and I get that 'Traits' are not restrictions per se. A servant could take 'Troll-Feller Strike' and a dwarf burgher could learn the Whirling Death ritual dance. That's slightly counter-intuitive, but I think I've got it. I'm just having trouble believing that the same is true of the various Orders, Faiths, and Chaos/Ruinous Power action cards. Can an Inquisitor take 'The Perfect Stroke'? Can a priest of Sigmar take "Blessing of Shallya'?

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

Traits on action cards are not necessarily restrictions, though many GMs do restrict things like ritual dances, ancestors, etc. to their proper careers. I tend to favor this as well, though it is certainly possible to justify certain cards (Troll-feller Strike, for instance, is just training in fighting large/multiple opponents).

Orders and Faiths I believe are specifically stated to be College- or Deity-centric, so I would not allow a Sigmarite to choose a Blessing outside of his faith.

All in all, use common sense and it should be pretty obvious which things to be rigid about, and which to say, "yeah, that sounds pretty cool... go ahead".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Anyone can take any card, but if a, say, peasant, were to take a bright order spell then he would have a card that costs power to use and no way to regain it other than waiting for it to recharge as normal, unless he bought the channel power card for more xp.

Meanwhile someone in a wizard career would get channel power (and some other neat cards) for free AND gets a college ability that keys off spells with the right college trait. So she'll able to cast the spell better and more often. Similarly there's nothing restricting the wizard from picking up an out of college spell except that it won't trigger her college special, and she'll get killed by witch hunters if she gets caught using it. As would the peasant come to think of it.

Picking up a spell In a non-spell casting class can be a good prelude to picking up a wizard career in your next rank. There's a whole bit in the magic book about dabblers.

The above also applies to clerics, except without the whole murdered by witch hunters thing.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 7, 2012

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Can we post pics of our methods for organizing all the cards and such? It might be a week or two before I have time, but I would like to show off what I came up with, as well as see what others have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That'd be nice. Right now I've just got about a dozen baggies.

• Locked thread