Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Xiahou Dun posted:

So, the Reckless vs. Conservative sockety things have got me thinking. How much of this poo poo is color-coded?

Because I've been lusting after this for years, but I'm really worried that I won't be able to use it because I'm colorblind.

Like, I have no loving clue what you mean by the red and green sockets. Are they the things underneath career skills?

Are there just a few fiddly bits that I could memorize, or would I have to do what I did for Arkham Horror and get my girlfriend to write what color things are on every card? Because that kind of nullifies the point of pretty cards.

Color-blindness might be a problem in this game. Not so much with the stance meter itself (if you're more Reckless than Conservative, then you know that the Reckless side is the one with more sockets). But I think there is no way to identify which side of the Action cards are which other than the colored label at the top. A solution, however, is to get some card sleeves with opaque backs, then have someone sleeve your actions with your dominant side facing out (I pretty much never see anyone use any side other than their dominant).

Another aspect that might be of concern are the dice, which are color-coded. You could still identify them by what symbols are on them, but relying only on that would slow you down when you needed to build your dice pool. Of course, your fellow players could just help you with that as well; just tell them how many Characteristic, Stance, Expertise, and Fortune dice you need, and the GM will hand you your Challenge and Misfortune dice.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

homullus posted:

The colors on these two may not look different to you, but the border on "you must be within close range of and able to make eye contact with the target" seems to be consistently different on the action cards. The one on the right, with the straight line border, is the red reckless.

I never noticed that before. Neat.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Rexides posted:

15-minute Adveturing Day: Splicer's post gives me the impression that Overnight Rest is the main way for characters to recover from wounds. How often (in terms of battles-encounters) does the party have to retreat and seek a place to rest? Are there any daily-style abilities that reinforce this pattern, or is it just the healing issues?

There are no 'dailies', every action and exhausted talent comes back during 'Rally Steps', which is the WFRP3e equivalent of a short rest in D&D4e (except they can also take place during combat, if the GM is running a protracted battle or a tiered boss fight). The only exceptions are some abilities that can be used only once per session, so there's nothing the PCs can do to speed their recovery.

Also, the adventure structure of WFRP runs differently than D&D. In a dungeon crawl, the default is that of static encounter, where the pace is driven by the PCs; so they can rest when they want to, and the encounter in the next room will still be there waiting for them.

In WFRP, there are no dungeons, and the pace is most often driven by the GM and the plot. If you decide to take a full night's rest after a big fight, your enemies aren't just going to sit there waiting for you to wake up; they're going to be out and about furthering their evil schemes. And it's hard to get good sleep when there's a marauding band of orcs just outside the town walls.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
My favorite part of Troll Slayer fluff is that, even though they are trying to redeem their honor by dying fighting something big and nasty, they can't lose on purpose. And by that, I don't mean that it's against the rules; they are actually psychologically incapable of fighting to lose.

"gently caress! I won! Now I've got to go find something bigger to fight!"

Edit: This also means that, when you see a veteran Slayer, you KNOW he's a badass mofo.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 30, 2012

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Mikan posted:

I wish the rules were clearer and better presented.

That's Fantasy Flight Games summed up in a sentence.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
With my group we've usually given out 2xp per session, and a bonus after completing an adventure. The adventures have each lasted two session, so by the end of the fourth session everyone had completed their first careers and had enough leftover to change to their second.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
It should be noted that the Adventurer's Toolkit has the Ratcatcher, which is a surprisingly awesome career, due to the Small Vicious Dog that comes with it.

Also, just because a career sounds wimpier doesn't mean it is; they aren't as limiting or defining as they sound. In the campaign I'm in, we had one player start out as a Sword Master, and the other as a Smuggler. The combat strength of the two characters was roughly equivalent, since there's nothing stopping the Smuggler from spend her starting points on being a engine of destruction.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Gort posted:

I just read An Eye For An Eye with an eye to GMing it, and it looks complex as gently caress. There are like twenty separate characters in that drat house.

Are there any more straightforward adventures out there that are suited to a first-time party?

I ran that adventure as my first time, to teach my two players the game. My solution was to type up every NPC and Room into a short blurb of what the PCs would see upon first meeting/entering them. Then I printed them out and cut them up into separate slips of paper, and handed them to my players as they encountered each one.

It was my first time using this trick, but it worked out so well, I'm going to try and use it from now on; there are SO many advantages to it. I don't have to spend lots of time describing everything, so the game becomes more about what the PCs are doing, and not about me assailing my players with torrents of flavor text. It also gives the players lots of notes to reference as they investigate the manor, as well as highlights areas of interests, so the players don't spend most of the session fumbling in the dark. And by putting out all of their options in front of them, visually, it lets the players move the game at their own pace, while keeping that pace brisk.

Here's the write-up I did: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7CwmpY2kgfBMy1EdW5YSl9Sb3c

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

DRAKES N CAKES posted:

However, why's left to be released? A loving lizardmen splat?

I would loving kill for a lizardman splat. Because goddammit, I want to run an all lizardman campaign.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Just came back with from my campaign launch/character creation session. I'm a pretty lax GM, and I have every expansion (with 50+ basic careers), so I dealt everyone 5 career cards and allowed them to pass them around freely; basically telling them to 'just play whatever you like.'

They made an entire party of Wood Elves.

:shepicide:

Seriously, what the gently caress do I do with a party of Wood Elves? There's no elf-centric expansion, and none of the adventure seem really appropriate of an entire party of isolationist hillbilly knife-ears.

Please help me.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

dishwasherlove posted:

Take this, you'll need it:

http://www.liberfanatica.net/Elf_Project.html

Basically they will be social outcasts anywhere they travel in the Empire. You say you have every expansion, what adventure were you thinking of running?

I was originally considering Winds of Change or Mirror of Desire (from Libers Mutatis and Ecstatica, respectively), but I'm hard-pressed to think of a reason for a party of wood elves to get involved in either scenario. I had thought that The Gathering Storm might work, but it turns out one of the players is currently running that exact adventure in another game (gently caress my life). I could probably fit them into The Witch's Song, but that one's designed for Rank 2 PCs, and they're still fresh meat.

(Edit: Thanks for the link, though.)

Edit2: The one thing I've got going for me is that one of the PCs is a Mystic, so sending them places for no other reason that 'your goddess said so' is totally an option.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 13, 2014

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

dishwasherlove posted:

There is no 4th ed. The latest edition is 3rd ed. There is no druid class so your choices would be between a Priest of Taal or an Amber Wizard I think.

I hadn't thought about it before, but yeah, those two careers are pretty much druids with slightly different window dressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Man Dancer posted:

I wanted to share my organization solution for WFRP3 (not sure if this has been mentioned before), the Stanley 25-Removable Compartment Professional Organizer.

It is goddamn perfect. The big cards fit in the big compartments and the little cards fit in the medium compartments, with just enough room to pull them out with my fingers. The little compartments are great for tokens. The little dents on the lid prevent bits and cards from sliding around, even when turning the whole thing upside down and shaking it. It has easily cut my setup/cleanup time in half, and it makes it much easier to just grab a corruption token out of a little box and sprinkle it on someone's character sheet like a fine spice.

One word of advice, don't try to take the label off without some Goo-Gone or something, because the residue is sticky as all get out.

I use this for my stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mobile-Pro-Organizer-with-3-Removable-Organizers-17193870/203431528

I have everything but the The Enemy Within, and it holds every last bit except for the big cards, with I keep in a standard card box. I've got standees in the bottom bin, small cards in the middle, and the top has the dice, chits, and other odds and ends.

It also has swinging doors with dog heads on them, which looks awesome.

• Locked thread