Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, I read through that Dice of Doom overview of what sorts of things each set has, but I'm still a little confused. I just got my game shop to order me a copy of the core set, but my group is probably going to be 5-6 players when I run. I know the core set's designed around 3 players, so should I pick up the Player's Vault, too? Or is there a better way to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Tysonium posted:

It mainly depends on whether your players are going to shoulder any of the burden in purchasing materials.

Pfft, HAHAHA. Nope. Not a huge deal, though. I think I may just try running the core with them and seeing where the weak links are in terms of stuff. I did score a copy of the DM Toolkit, though. I'm also going through my local place, so the core set is somewhat (read: 10% off retail) more expensive, but everything else from there is pretty much either on par with Amazon's 3rd party or better. It would honestly be a lot cheaper for more bits if I go with my FLGS and score the Player's Vault, and two extra sets of dice.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Alright, once I get my core set and get a chance to go through it, I'll get an Adventurer's Toolkit. Thanks for the advice!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, I got my core set and have been reading the core book. So far everything makes sense except for one thing. Career advancements. I see there's the Open Career Advancements on the back of the sheet. On the Career cards, there's that block of numbers under the Advancements heading. Is that how many of each you're allowed before you hit the advancement cap? Like the Student has 2 Conservative and 0 Reckless, so I'd be able to add two more Conservative blocks to my Stance meter over the course of the Career and never add Reckless at all? Do you just get 6 advancements out of that set and the specifically marked advancements?

Also, regarding colorblind-chat from a while back, the reds and greens are alright for me, but drat if I can tell the blue and purple markers apart. The dice are fine, it's just the diamonds they use to represent them. It does seem like you'll never be adding the blue Characteristic dice as the result of a card though, so it's probably not a big deal.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have another question, if someone would be so kind. When you use an action, you take the refresh on the top left and put that many refresh tokens on it. During the end of turn phase, all refreshing actions get a token removed. Does this include the one you just used? I feel like I missed something, since the combat example doesn't do this, but it also doesn't specify that actions used this turn are exempt, from what I can tell.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, I've tried running a bit of combat and chargen with some friends, and I have a quite a few more questions. Some are dumb, some are just clarifications.

• Based on my reading, I don't see a way to start with a check in an Advanced skill or gain a check until Rank 2. Is that accurate?
  • When upgrading a Primary Attribute with advances, you scratch out Career Advances. Is this all Open ones or can you drop some of the 4 fixed advances?
  • You get and mark off the Dedication Bonus for free, right? It doesn't sound like it costs advances. Also, the Career Transition line is where you mark career you're going into and how much it cost?
  • This one's kinda dumb, but standard maneuvers like closing range and drawing weapons doesn't require any rolls, right? Obviously using a skill in one would, though.
  • You get to use one Action Card on your turn and can perform as many maneuvers before or after as you feel like taking Fatigue for. That sound right?
  • Where does it say you can move further along your Stance track at the cost of stress? It's used in the combat example, but I don't see where it says that was an option. It also sounds like it's a maneuver, since he draws his bow and it costs him Fatigue.
  • Using a Resilience check to recover while Lightly Wounded doesn't explain what happens, far as I can tell. It says if you heal a Critical Wound, you get wounds removed equal to boons, but what happens if you're not critically wounded? Do you just get the boons in wounds healed?

I'm sure I'll have more, but that's from my third or so read through the rulebook.

This GM screen is also really great. I only really like them for Paranoia, but there's nothing but useful info in here. It's all the sidebars and that's the stuff you really need during play.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Awesome, thanks for the help. I'm still a little unclear on healing with Resilience checks, but that's not a big deal. I think boons make more sense, since you already get your toughness back in wounds at the end of an encounter. I did find the Stance track thing after it was pointed out, too. The errata/FAQ is pretty helpful, as well.

Is there a list of the contents of the newer expansions anywhere? The Core Component List is from September.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Actions are anything that uses a card. That's the rule as far as I can tell. Skill checks in combat are Maneuvers, even though they have a roll involved.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I grabbed a copy of The Winds of Magic and am a little confused (surprise, surprise). An Amber Order mage can still Channel Power while in a beast form, right? That seems pretty brutal if you have to be magically juiced to hell and back BEFORE you turn into a bear.

I also got a copy of the Creature Vault and those cards are boss as all hell. Working out the book is for suckers.

What's the next item in list of pro-buyness? I have the core set (with a second one coming), Adventurer's Toolkit, DM's Toolkit, Creature Vault, Edge of Night, and The Winds of Magic. Even got a Player's Guide as part of the EoN/Winds of Magic buy. My heart is telling me Black Fire Pass, because :black101:The Book of Grudges:black101:. Otherwise The Gathering Storm would probably be good since I'm not especially all that creative.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I thought the GM allocated Bane results?

Anyway, ordered a GM Guide and Black Fire Pass as suggested. I also wanted to clarify my Amber Order question from last page. In Beastform, you have access to Beastform spells and all Basic Actions you qualify for? Meaning you can still Channel Power and Dodge/Parry as normal?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

CPA Hell posted:

Awesome Idea

This is pretty brilliant. I've taken to using UltraPro baseball card boxes in the various heavier boxes. I've been trying to figure out a better way to handle all of this stuff. How much space does the binder take up compared to the core set box? Do you do anything special with monsters from the Creature Vault?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

MagnumOpus posted:

So in my haste I ordered the GM and Creature Guides. Should I already be looking to offload these as useless or will I get some value from them? My understanding is I should have picked up the Creature Vault and GM Toolkit.

The GM guide is pretty boss. Covers a lot of stuff from the first few expansions like disease and such. I wasn't too impressed with the Creature Guide, I was hoping for more fluff than it has.

I do have to weigh in and say that the Player's Guide is GREAT. I have two box sets and you can never have enough player books at the table. It also has all the careers and actions through the first few expansions.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

MagnumOpus posted:

Thanks for the replies. My plan is to introduce my group to WFRP using some of the intro modules, but after a session or two once they've got the basic mechanics down we'll do character creation for the actual game and I'll get to writing.

If that's my intention, sounds like I'll want the Creature Vault and GM Toolkit for the variety of new stuff? And also I suppose the Priest and Wizard expansions? Basically for the actual campaign creation I'd like to have as many cool things as possible to build with, while leaving some of the more obscure and specialized options for future purchase as new options for 2nd characters.

I love everything I've read about the game so far but it feels like FFG really bungled the product management here because trying to figure out what I need is complete :psyduck:

Like it says in the OP, you don't NEED anything besides the core set (or 3 core books if you like it old-school). Anything else is immediately awesome and useful, though. It's VERY modular.

My collection so far is 2 core sets, Winds of Magic, Signs of Faith, Black Fire Pass, the GM and Adventurer's Toolkits, a Monster Vault, and the Player's and GM's Guides. I also have The Edge of Night. Every new thing just adds new options that you don't have to use if you don't want.

My top picks to go with the core set are the Adventurer's Toolkit and Monster Vault. Both add some nice stuff, the MV especially with the monster cards. Then just get whatever sounds cool. If you have a player who likes dwarves, get Black Fire Pass. Combat guy? Orders of War. You get the idea. Just start small until you get the feel, THEN spend all your money on the rest.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 27, 2012

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Turing sex machine posted:

The toolkit doesn't have extra dice. The only way to get more is to buy a dice pack.

Or another core set! :getin:

Also, the GM Toolkit has the same set that comes in the dice pack, from what I understand.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I wasn't super impressed with Omens of War. I expected crazier stuff from the Khornites and the knightly Oaths are kind of dull. I do like the weapon styles, though. I also don't understand how you're supposed to play a Pistoleer as a starting Career with how expensive guns are.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mikan posted:

Omens of War was the one I'm least interested in just because I already have a bunch of combat cards through the other sets. New social actions, though? That sounds great. Can't wait for Lure of Power to get here tomorrow.

What's up with the Weapon Styles?

There's two parts. One is a new set of actions all linked to 6 fighting styles. They are Zweihander for two-handed weapons, Diestro for fencing weapons, Bulwark for sword and board, Twin Weapon for dual wielding, Hunter's Eye for ranged, and Thunder for black powder. Some act a bit like the Way of the Sword and Ancestor cards in that you can get bonuses while recharging other cards with the keyword. It basically gives other combat classes access to coherent styles with bonuses the way Ironbreakers, Swordmasters, and Wardancers do. There really aren't enough, though.

In addition to those new actions there are add-on actions called Enhances, one per style. These are sort of the opposite of Dwarven Engineering. Where DE adds dice to relevant pools, Enhances let you remove dice to get static effects. For example, Dangerous Modifications is the Thunder Enhance. You have to use a Ranged Attack after using a maneuver to load more powder. On the Conservative side, if you remove a Fortune die you get +2 Damage. Remove a Characteristic die and you get +1 damage and -1 CR. If you do both of those, you can choose to remove an Expertise die you can ignore the target's Armor Soak. On the Reckless side Fortune is +1 damage, Characteristic is +1 critical and Expertise gives you and the target 1 wound per Chaos Star.

Overall, I feel like this is a good spot for a POD expansion with more Enhances and more Actions for the styles.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
FFG's been slacking fairly hard on keeping the card lists and living index up to date. It's kind of annoying.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Kin33 posted:

Bought the Creature Vault and am really regretting not getting the Creature's Guide as well. I think I've figured out what all the symbols on the cards mean but I could be getting things wrong or mixed up. I'm also wondering if there are unique rules for swarms/creature groups beyond whats already on the cards. Unfortunately I live pretty far north in Canada and it takes a long time to get product up here for a decent price.

I picked up the Vault and I was pretty unimpressed with the Guide, honestly. It's pretty dry and doesn't have a whole lot of fluff in addition to what you already have from the Vault. The PDF might be a better investment, I really don't see how the hardcover would be useful at the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
A second full set of dice is REALLY helpful. I only had three players and I think we would have felt the crunch from having a single set of dice around the table. I got a second core set and don't really regret it besides the fact that we only played once so far.

I will say that Blackfire Pass is really cool. The rune magic and engineering are super-neat.

• Locked thread