Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ratbert90 posted:

Well that's really lame. My Suggestion is this then:

Buff the hood so all the swirls are gone, that way the auto body shop will have a much MUCH easier time matching paint.

Or do what I did and find somebody off of craigslist who was out on his luck but had 20 years of auto body experience . :v: He painted my spoiler, hood, front bumper, and back bumper for 200$ + paint. The nearest quote I got was 1,000$ from a auto body shop down the road.

I hadn't thought of that! If I could get it done that cheap I'd do it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Good luck! :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ratbert90 posted:

Good luck! :)

Thank you for all your help and advice! When I'm ready to tackle the SHO and the Lightning I'll be back!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You are quite welcome! There is a TON to learn about car detailing, and once you get into it, uh... well your wallet won't be thanking you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ratbert90 posted:

You are quite welcome! There is a TON to learn about car detailing, and once you get into it, uh... well your wallet won't be thanking you.

My wallet stopped talking to me at the third vehicle purchase. Thankfully the Mazda's problems are only cosmetic.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I thought of this thread when I saw some highschool girls car wash for their club or whatever. Every single towel they used for cleaning to drying the car was left on the ground, on the concrete, after every single car they washed.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

I thought of this thread when I saw some highschool girls car wash for their club or whatever. Every single towel they used for cleaning to drying the car was left on the ground, on the concrete, after every single car they washed.

:gonk: The swirls! The swirls!!!!! I do the same thing now. :(

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
I have a Honda Element and unfortunately half of the body panels are made out of old Rubbermaid trashcans. Any recommendations for a plastic conditioner for lots of exterior plastic bits?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Matt finishes are a tricky subject, especially rubberish materials. The good news is that there isn't any swirling, the bad news is there isn't any fancy stuff you can do to them.

The autogeek forums recommend:
http://www.autogeek.net/pbtr16.html

Poorboy's Trim Restorer.

SentinelXS
Aug 30, 2009

Why don't you make like a tree, and FUCK OFF?
What can I do to remove hard water stains from windows and side mirrors?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

SentinelXS posted:

What can I do to remove hard water stains from windows and side mirrors?

Invisible Glass and a good microfiber cloth

http://www.amazon.com/Stoner-92164-Invisible-Windshield-Cleaner/dp/B000M3V95U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337717418&sr=8-1

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

What this guy said. Invisaglass is amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I place an inquiry on Craigslist and have had 4 responses already! 3 of them offer free estimates so this might work out!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Rhyno posted:

I place an inquiry on Craigslist and have had 4 responses already! 3 of them offer free estimates so this might work out!

Make sure to ask for examples/previous customers to talk to. There are some lovely automotive painters out there (I seem to remember a 350z paintjob/bodykit install that was done by a guy who didn't even use a mask).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Crustashio posted:

Make sure to ask for examples/previous customers to talk to. There are some lovely automotive painters out there (I seem to remember a 350z paintjob/bodykit install that was done by a guy who didn't even use a mask).

I plan to. The first guy says he used to work for the big player in local paint and body so I'll ask for some examples and why he no longer works there.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

standardtoaster posted:

I have a Honda Element and unfortunately half of the body panels are made out of old Rubbermaid trashcans. Any recommendations for a plastic conditioner for lots of exterior plastic bits?

303 aerospace protectant. I use it for vinyl, plastic and rubber trim, prevents uv fading and keeps things looking new.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Another attempt with optimum no rinse. Going one panel at a time and immediately drying before moving on to the next turned or a lot better.

This stuff rules. Still not as great as a full wash, but with what little access I have to a hose it's great.

A single bucket, a sponge, and a towel was all it took. ~30 minutes and I was done.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 23, 2012

foundtomorrow
Feb 10, 2007

Frozen-Solid posted:

ONR

A single bucket, a sponge, and a towel was all it took. ~30 minutes and I was done.

Woah now. A towel? Singular?! I hope you meant towels! Looks good though. What sponge did you pick and what towels?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I need a harsher compound than t-cut, what's the next level up? They all have confusing names.

Also, repeating my question about crazed clearcoat on one quarter, anything I can do without a respray on non-metallic paint?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

foundtomorrow posted:

Woah now. A towel? Singular?! I hope you meant towels! Looks good though. What sponge did you pick and what towels?

One gallon bucket with a few capfulls of Optimum No Rinse: http://www.amazon.com/32oz-Optimum-Rinse-Wash-Shine/dp/B000E9TS6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337778892&sr=8-1

A Towel: http://www.amazon.com/The-Absorber-Synthetic-Drying-Chamois/dp/B0000AY69V/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337778394&sr=8-1

The sponge was one like this: http://www.amazon.com/Armor-All-6347-Microfiber-Sponge/dp/B002NXUDWM/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1337778642&sr=1-8

I don't see the actual one on Amazon and don't remember the brand. It's blue microfiber and a yellow sponge pad thing.

Also 2 microfiber cloths and Invisible Glass.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009

Geared Hub posted:

303 aerospace protectant. I use it for vinyl, plastic and rubber trim, prevents uv fading and keeps things looking new.

Thank you! This stuff is the bomb! If only the entire car was made of unpainted plastic.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Can anyone recommend a carpet cleaner? My shop was behind a detail shop and I was spoiled by the twin vac massive unit they had. It worked amazing. I need something smaller (that can also do carpets) for home use.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

the spyder posted:

Can anyone recommend a carpet cleaner? My shop was behind a detail shop and I was spoiled by the twin vac massive unit they had. It worked amazing. I need something smaller (that can also do carpets) for home use.

Bissell Little Green Machine

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Weird question...But what do people recommend for getting stubborn dog hair out of carpet? I have two siberian huskies and hair always ends up in the carpeting that vacuums won't get out. This isn't even from the dogs being in the car...they still get hairy from stray hairs on our clothes/shoes.

I could sit there all day vacuuming and still not get it out. I tried using one a lint roller but they don't work very well. Any suggestions?

Stultus
Jul 22, 2007

I have a Siberian Husky also and totally understand where you're coming from with the fur. I bought a fur removal rock from a local detailing supply store around me, and it's made a huge difference when vacuuming up the dog hair. They're not too badly priced either. Looks like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrR1QVtu0nw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have the HF high speed buffer, but the pads that came with it are crap, what kind of pads are decent, and what type of pad should I use to remove swirl marks?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I would use a foam pad (3M) and foam pad polish (3M) at around 1800rpm.

Goatshadow
Apr 11, 2002

The interior plastic of my truck is pretty cheap and seems to scratch just by looking at it. Can anything be done about scratched/scuffed plastic door panels, glove box areas, etc.? Even if to make the scratches less noticeable.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Type of plastic? Some times a heat gun and plastic wedge can smooth things. Most detail shops do this + sanding + filling + vinyl paint.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Or just wrap it in vinyl of your choice.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Stultus posted:

I have a Siberian Husky also and totally understand where you're coming from with the fur. I bought a fur removal rock from a local detailing supply store around me, and it's made a huge difference when vacuuming up the dog hair. They're not too badly priced either. Looks like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrR1QVtu0nw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

:aaa:

As an owner of two corgis, I love you so, so much.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yeah, I didn't know about that stone. I just bought one thanks to you!

Also I wish I had named the thread Detailing thread: Foam party

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Is something like Dawn going to get all the spring tree jizz off my car or do I need something else? I finally have a chance to wash and wax it tomorrow and want to get it nice. The tree jizz can be seen through the windshield when I'm driving towards the sun or under lights at night, and can only be felt on the paint.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Is something like Dawn going to get all the spring tree jizz off my car or do I need something else? I finally have a chance to wash and wax it tomorrow and want to get it nice. The tree jizz can be seen through the windshield when I'm driving towards the sun or under lights at night, and can only be felt on the paint.

Turtle Wax bug and tar has worked great for me on well bugs and grease fingerprints when I'm working on my car. Just spring in a microfiber towel and rub. Not sure about the windows though, maybe Invisible Glass.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
That honestly sounds like it would take forever. Wash car, rub with that stuff, wash car, then wax? gently caress me.

I just need some brutal soap. : (

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Dawn is used to get rid of wax and grease really really well. I recommend tarx to get rid of anything really nasty. Spray it on and wait a bit.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-tar-x-tar-remover.html

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
What I have are tiny pin sized deposits of some kind. Maybe I'll try dawn tomorrow and if it doesn't work I'll try the tar x. Is there any harm in waxing over the stuff in my car assuming dawn doesn't work to remove it?

It's from parking under a tree for about 4 weeks while I waited on a new house.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

What I have are tiny pin sized deposits of some kind. Maybe I'll try dawn tomorrow and if it doesn't work I'll try the tar x. Is there any harm in waxing over the stuff in my car assuming dawn doesn't work to remove it?

It's from parking under a tree for about 4 weeks while I waited on a new house.

Do this.

Wash with dawn > Claybar the poo poo until the plastic bag test passes > wax. That should clean 99% of your car. If after claying the spots aren't gone, then try tarx.

SentinelXS
Aug 30, 2009

Why don't you make like a tree, and FUCK OFF?
Invisible Glass + microfiber towel did a great job of cleaning my windows, much better than Windex, but there's still hard water spots that are pretty much baked onto the glass. It's from years of being sprayed by a lawn sprinkler. Any suggestions on more aggressive options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

SentinelXS posted:

Invisible Glass + microfiber towel did a great job of cleaning my windows, much better than Windex, but there's still hard water spots that are pretty much baked onto the glass. It's from years of being sprayed by a lawn sprinkler. Any suggestions on more aggressive options?

Claybar the windows. It'll lift the mineral deposits right off.