Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«26 »
A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I mostly wasn't sure if they used some sort of weird attachment system or if I could just wear two regular belts.

I'll probably upgrade to a proper belt with cartridge loops once I have a matched pair of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

Seeing animals in pain is fucking HILARIOUS. Can't crop that out, Buddy!

Merwin & Hulbert, only resolution there is.

From the gunsmithing forum at CASCity.

Turnbull... :HomerSimpsonDrool:

Copper plating

:fapboom: Damascus barrel sleeve for an SAA.

C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Does anyone's bank account want me dead yet?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Does anyone know if you can get a cartridge belt with loops for .22 LR? I'm seriouslt thinking about getting a single six or Bearcat this summer, and I want to carry it in style (and not have to deal with some kind of pouch for ammo).

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Beardless posted:

Does anyone know if you can get a cartridge belt with loops for .22 LR? I'm seriouslt thinking about getting a single six or Bearcat this summer, and I want to carry it in style (and not have to deal with some kind of pouch for ammo).

http://www.circlekb.com/product/Cowboy.html makes rigs to order.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

"Wouldn't want to see an angry turtle with a gun, would ya? "

Well...

Beardless posted:

The gunbelt I got with my high standard sentinel has .22 loops on it. Unfortunately it fits about a 32-34" waist at max so I can't wear it Planning on keeping it with the gun in case I decide sell it later on, though.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Triple K makes a .22lr belt. $69 on their website, $59 in stores when I see it.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Thanks all of you guys, the Triple K belt seems like the best belt, especially since they also sell holsters for both the Single Six and Bearcat. Now why does all of this stuff have to be so expensive?

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Can he be kissed without a massive erection?

$70 for a holster isn't too bad

Schwa
Jan 15, 2001

I'm wondering if there exists a reproduction shotgun that could pull double duty as a CAS shotgun and a casual trap/sporting clays gun. So far the only one that I've seen that meets the preferred barrel length (26"-30") for clays is the Cimarron 1881 Hammerless. Will a shotgun like that hold up to high-volume shooting like the clay games tend to be? Or are there any options that have that period western look/action?

Colonial Air Force
May 22, 2002

Bombing Redcoats since 1775.

The problem is the longer barrel needed for clays may hinder your speed in CAS. I suppose you just deal with that, or get something with a swappable barrel.

EDIT: I really think I'd rather have a coach gun, but there's a decent deal on an 1897 pump on the SASS forums. I just know it's going to break, though, and I'm going to be angry.

Colonial Air Force fucked around with this message at Apr 2, 2012 around 13:29

Colonial Air Force
May 22, 2002

DOUBLE POST!

I opted for the coach gun. Too many parts in the '97, too much to deal with, even if it is a pump.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...?Item=279499048

Probably going to refinish the wood, or at least stain it so it's closer to my other guns.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I WANT A PONY TOO

I think I just accidentally got into CAS.

I snagged a 20" 1897 for a decent price, and since I want one of those .357 Uberti Cattleman anyways...

What's the cheapest, quality pistol-caliber lever rifle available? Also, should I pick up my revolver in .45 LC, or is .357 fine?

Colonial Air Force
May 22, 2002

IuniusBrutus posted:

I snagged a 20" 1897 for a decent price, and since I want one of those .357 Uberti Cattleman anyways...

What's the cheapest, quality pistol-caliber lever rifle available? Also, should I pick up my revolver in .45 LC, or is .357 fine?

.357 is fine.

For cheapest, probably some sort of 1892.

But why go cheap when you could get a Golden Boy or something that's capable of being short-stroked?

Podothehobbit
Mar 22, 2004

Fighting the tyranny of cakes and deliciousness is my job! :cry:

Y'all have fancy long barrels! This is how we roll in southeast Arizona.

Texas Defender in .410/45 Long Colt It's surprisingly controllable but it does feel like it weighs more then my LC9 and 605 combined so that might do it.

Colonial Air Force
May 22, 2002

Um, ow.

The barrels don't look much longer than the rounds.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Can he be kissed without a massive erection?

I fired a .45 Colt Derringer once. Would not recommend!!

Yellowjacket
Mar 13, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

I want to see someone shoot this (from a distance)

Podothehobbit
Mar 22, 2004

Fighting the tyranny of cakes and deliciousness is my job! :cry:

Yellowjacket posted:

That would be fun! As for the kick from my derringer, it really isn't that bad at all. In fact it's a hell of a lot more comfortable then shooting 357 out of the 605 snubby.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

The Zen of Sixgun:
If I buy a gun, and don't post how terribly pleased I am...does it even please me at all?

Yellowjacket posted:

They had one of these in the gunshop near me. I was talking to the owner about it. He said that he sold it one day, the guy went and shot it the next. Came in later with possibly a broken hand and sold it right back.

No hard feelings though, he knew that he just hadn't thought his cunning plan through, and the gun functioned flawlessly.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Bronies
B4
Honies

Yellowjacket posted:

I really want one of these.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Get the lever in the same caliber as the revolver you are getting. Or vice versa if you are getting the lever first. I personally would go .45 Colt and reload but I enjoy reloading for its own sake as well as big fat old calibers, so I am biased.

And I'd lean towards some '73 based design, betcha you could find a nice used uberti in .45LC or .357

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Colonial Air Force posted:

.357 is fine.

For cheapest, probably some sort of 1892.

But why go cheap when you could get a Golden Boy or something that's capable of being short-stroked?
The Golden Boy (edit: whoops, "Big Boy" is actually the name of the centerfire version) is, in my opinion, a very bad choice as a CAS gun, in part because it actually cannot be fitted with a shorter throw lever or really any modifications at all, except a large loop lever. It also weighs 9 pounds and doesn't feed from a loading gate in the receiver, but rather from the end of the removable magazine tube, like a .22. Their actions are actually based on the old Ithaca lever action of all things, so they're really not as workable or tunable as something based on a Winchester action and they certainly don't have as many parts floating around.

If you are getting your Cattleman in .357 (objectively the best caliber for CAS), then get your levergun in .357 as well. Rossi, Puma, Taylor's & Co., Navy Arms, and others all sell their own versions of the Chiappa 1892 clone which is a pretty solid rifle, and probably the cheapest .357 lever you'll find. Just beware: quality varies on these so try one in person first if you can (this mostly applies to the Rossi and Puma versions since the others seem to 'screen' theirs a bit better), and they are somewhat sensitive about the overall length of a cartridge. No .38 wadcutters through these.

HDS mentioned the 1873 action/clones: that's what I'm going with myself, but they aren't gonna be your cheapest option. If you get lucky, you might score a used one for $800.

If you wanna plan for the long term CAS-wise, it would likely be a good idea to invest in a rifle that you could tune up some in the future (such as an 1866, 1873, or Marlin action) with a capacity of 10 rounds. Or, you could take the "gently caress it" approach, and shoot what's fun! Some people run matches with a Spencer carbine. Why the hell not?

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at Apr 3, 2012 around 04:14

LingcodKilla
Dec 28, 2002

BUY MORE CRABS

Carbohydrates posted:

The Golden Boy (edit: whoops, "Big Boy" is actually the name of the centerfire version) is, in my opinion, a very bad choice as a CAS gun, in part because it actually cannot be fitted with a shorter throw lever or really any modifications at all, except a large loop lever. It also weighs 9 pounds and doesn't feed from a loading gate in the receiver, but rather from the end of the removable magazine tube, like a .22. Their actions are actually based on the old Ithaca lever action of all things, so they're really not as workable or tunable as something based on a Winchester action and they certainly don't have as many parts floating around.

If you are getting your Cattleman in .357 (objectively the best caliber for CAS), then get your levergun in .357 as well. Rossi, Puma, Taylor's & Co., Navy Arms, and others all sell their own versions of the Chiappa 1892 clone which is a pretty solid rifle, and probably the cheapest .357 lever you'll find. Just beware: quality varies on these so try one in person first if you can (this mostly applies to the Rossi and Puma versions since the others seem to 'screen' theirs a bit better), and they are somewhat sensitive about the overall length of a cartridge. No .38 wadcutters through these.

HDS mentioned the 1873 action/clones: that's what I'm going with myself, but they aren't gonna be your cheapest option. If you get lucky, you might score a used one for $800.

If you wanna plan for the long term CAS-wise, it would likely be a good idea to invest in a rifle that you could tune up some in the future (such as an 1866, 1873, or Marlin action) with a capacity of 10 rounds. Or, you could take the "gently caress it" approach, and shoot what's fun! Some people run matches with a Spencer carbine. Why the hell not?

Anyone make a stainless 357 1892 clone of good quality?

markoshark
Nov 6, 2005

probably the wrong place to post this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...px?id=463078054

Last fired a black powder rifle 15 years ago. I want one.
Can't afford a real one, so looking at the above
What accessories do i need :P

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

markoshark posted:

probably the wrong place to post this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...px?id=463078054

Last fired a black powder rifle 15 years ago. I want one.
Can't afford a real one, so looking at the above
What accessories do i need :P

Something like this would be a good start. Substitute the sabot rounds with the appropriate caliber balls and a mold.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It was a sherbet that I'd screw this up!

Accessories are fairly simple:

- At least one spare nipple.

- Appropriately sized nipple wrench.

- Powder measure.

- Rolling paper cartridges is easy and makes reloading simpler. Just find a wooden dowel of the appropriate diameter and make reloading the rifle easier: http://www.wikihow.com/Roll-Paper-Cartridges-(Reenacting)

- Miniť balls are awesome and can be stupidly accurate, but you are best off casting your own. Supply of pre-made can be spotty depending on your area, and the skirts are easily hosed up in shipping: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...grain-new-style And use whatever lead. Pure lead was the standard in the day and the softer, the better. The skirt expands tight into the rifling so you don't need to harden anything.

- Lube for the Miniť balls. I like to fill the cavity of the skirt with bore butter and my Springfield clone will Would, before it was hosed-up by a water line leak. cloverleaf them at 65 yards. It came recommended by an old black-powder shooter and the results indicate he was right.

- Bore butter for your barrel. Olive oil vs. bore butter vs...... The debate among the black powder crowd rages. Find a non-petroleum grease for your bore and go hog-wild. You'll have to find your own preference here.

- Bullet puller. You will get a dud charge or stuck bullet when you first start out. I've only had one so far, knock on wood.

- Cleaning jag. Cleaning doesn't need soap (and the debate about whether barrels season or not leads to soap/no soap debates) and can be very simple. Some good methods in this thread: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/f...php?tid/262517/

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

My newest SA pistol... found this (didn't know it existed) in .45acp and couldn't resist.

Ruger New Vaquero (Talo Distributor special) 3.75" barrel

Added to my other two SA revolvers, a Taurus Gaucho .357 (Amazingly smooth action and trigger) and an unmolested 3-screw Super Single Six convertible.

comaerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

My favorite gun.

New Vaquero in .357 magnum.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Capn Beeb posted:

my 9mm Derringer is hilarious enough to shoot. Talk about a gun that I have only shot twice...everyone else I know once.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

DILLIGAF posted:

My newest SA pistol... found this (didn't know it existed) in .45acp and couldn't resist.

Ruger New Vaquero (Talo Distributor special) 3.75" barrel

This is boss as gently caress. How do you like those birdshead grips?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Carbohydrates posted:

This is boss as gently caress. How do you like those birdshead grips?

I was never a fan of the look... It feels a little awkward at first, finding the right hold, but they are surprisingly comfortable. Now that I have handled it a lot and fired it, I am liking it a lot more.

Colonial Air Force
May 22, 2002

I got a thing in the mail yesterday!

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I would be a lot more interested in SASS if I didn't have to make up a dumb name and wear dumb clothes and hats. Guns are cool, but I don't want to play dress up. I have no illusions that wearing a 10 gallon hat and spurs would make me look like anything less than a complete fool. :/

Colonial Air Force
May 22, 2002

I already do American War for Independence reenactments, so dressing up like a cowboy ain't no thing.

Also years of Rocky & Bullwinkle have taught me to appreciate silly puns.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Don't fish swim south for the winter?

No, sir. That's birds.

Birds swim south? How do they breath?

Most of TFR has seen these guns already, but I'm always looking for an excuse to post them.

Here, ladies and gentlemen, are Cyrano's Dad's Guns: Blackpowder Edition.

Note that I have close to zero clue about what any of this is as far as manufacturer and whatnot.

First, the wheel guns. Understand that my dad was a child of the 50s. He grew up watching Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Rawhide, etc.

First up we have a Walker Colt. Note the chunk of fiber optic superglued to the front sight. That's the Cyrano's Dad Special Touch and something you're about to get VERY familiar with.

Next we have . . . I dunno, I think it might be a Navy Colt clone or something? gently caress I'm terrible with 19th century handguns and right now I'm too lazy to google to see what it actually is. I DO know that it's "just like" the one carried by some guy on Gunsmoke, or maybe Rawhide. Either way, that's the entire reason my dad bought it.

Again, I have no real idea what this is, other than it's supposedly identical to some gun that some guy had on a TV show from the 50s or 60s. Well, minus the american flag on the grip of course. Dad got it cheap, and loved whatever character it was on whatever show, so he puts up with the flag. Note the fiber optic front sight.

Now for some of the long guns. THis is where things get. . . interesting. Let's just say that my dad comes from a long line of men who never found a mechanical device that they couldn't improve with whatever was rolling around in the back of the truck. So, you know, hillbillies. And yes, his family is from Kentucky.

My father is a surgeon. Yes, these two things actually become relevant to the guns.

First off, though, is the gun that's just my dad waxing poetic about his home state's firearms legacy, his "kentucky long rifle:"

He shoots that one a lot and will not shut up about how accurate it is. Those of you with sharper eyes might have noticed the sight on the stock. Here's an up-close view of it, and a bit of my dad's woodworking skills.

Functional. Not too pretty, but not terrible. Yet.

Here we have another muzzle loader. I forget what this is supposed to be, I think some kind of Civil War musket? Anyways, check out the buttplate of that gun.

Yeah. Dad thought it recoiled a little stiffly (he's a total pussy for recoil) and rather than spend the $TEXASMEGABUX$ that a limb saver apparently costs, he decided to duct tape some kind of fluid-filled post-surgery physical therapy device to the end of it. What is this device? hosed if I know. All I know is it's thick, yellowish plastic filled with what i hope is water.

Here's another muzzle loader. The ramrod is some kind of replacement from god knows what, and he's added a peep sight to the rear. Oh, and of course a home-made limb saver. I don't remember exactly what he put on the rear of that one, but I know that one of them is filled with gauze dressings, and I'm pretty sure that's the one. The sling is some random piece of surplus junk he picked up at a gun store. It's a canvas mystery sling that looks like it was probably designed during the era of full-cartridge battle rifles.

He's not JUST into old designs, though. Here's a modern BP design that he uses for shooting deer. It's one of those new types that looks like a bolt action and where you load the BP blocks in through the rear.

Remember what I said about medical device limb savers?

Here is something of an oddity. He decided to go out and buy an actual shoulder pad for this muzzle loader. I have no loving clue what's going on with the ram rod, presumably he broke the original and bought a replacement that was too long. I'm honestly shocked he didn't take a hacksaw to it.

Of course, he couldn't have a gun that DIDNT have duct tape on it, so he made a cheek riser. What's inside that cheek riser? Part of an old couch cushion. How do I know this? Because I watched him cut up the cushion on a couch we were getting rid of on the grounds of "there's some perfectly good foam in here!"

And finally, the highpoint of his collection, the gun that I get asked for pictures of at least once a year. Of all my dad's guns, this is the one that I am hell bent on inheriting, because it pretty much sums up my dad in gun form. One day I will pass this down to my children, and from them to their kids:

First off, let me say that the buttpad is made from the foam that he was able to dig out of the side of a ripped passenger seat on a truck. A late 80s blue Chevvy S-10, for those who are curious. How do I know this? Again, because I was there when he made it and watched him do it. We were out on BLM land shooting tin cans (literally - he watches for when my mom makes soup and intercepts and washes the cans for use as targets) and he decided it recoiled a bit hard for him. The man is nothing if not field expedient as gently caress.

What's that you say? None of that is particularly impressive at this point? You know how in the 19th century people went around converting old flintlocks to percussion cap guns?

ZOOM. ENHANCE.

Yep. At one time this was a flintlock kit gun, then dad got tired of loving around with flints. Two hex head bolts, a dremel, a bit of soldering, a bit of filing, and a nipple later and you have that.

Yes, it works. I've fired it.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at Apr 4, 2012 around 16:01

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yes, it works. I've fired it.

You're a good son.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

cuntrageous posted:

You're a good son.

hahaha no poo poo. if my dad said "here boy, fire this" and handed me that I'd tell him to go gently caress himself. cyrano is a brave or stupid young man, and I respect that.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I dunno, I think it might be a Navy Colt clone or something?

Again, I have no real idea what this is...

First is a clone of the Remington 1858 New Army, though they were never offered in brass frames afaik. They typically had an 8" barrel but this was the era when you could send a polite letter to most gun factories and they would make whatever the hell special version you wanted.

Second is a clone of the 1860 Colt Army.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Don't fish swim south for the winter?

No, sir. That's birds.

Birds swim south? How do they breath?

Uncle Caveman posted:

First is a clone of the Remington 1858 New Army, though they were never offered in brass frames afaik. They typically had an 8" barrel but this was the era when you could send a polite letter to most gun factories and they would make whatever the hell special version you wanted.

Second is a clone of the 1860 Colt Army.

Both of those make a lot of sense now that I hit IMDFB with that info. The second one is apparently carried by one of the main characters in Lonesome Dove which is both his favorite book and favorite TV miniseries. Now that I think about it, I remember that the OTHER main guy in Lonesome Dove carried a Walker Colt, so there you go.

I think there's also a Bonanza connection in there, though, because I goddamned KNOW he referenced one of those guns SPECIFICALLY as being the one carried by Little Joe on that show.

Gtab posted:

hahaha no poo poo. if my dad said "here boy, fire this" and handed me that I'd tell him to go gently caress himself. cyrano is a brave or stupid young man, and I respect that.

A good mix of both I'd say.

I will say one thing about my father, his knocked-together DIY solutions tend to actually be shockingly well built and durable, albeit ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's one of those new types that looks like a bolt action and where you load the BP blocks in through the rear.
A minor point, but inline muzzleloaders still take the powder & bullet from the front, it's just the ignitor (usually a 209 shotshell primer, sometimes a musket cap) that is placed in the "loading port" area.

quote:

he watches for when my mom makes soup and intercepts and washes the cans for use as targets
I like your Dad. There is a 55gal trash can in my workshop full of soup cans dating back a good ~5 years. Even if I never shoot them I will still be the richest man in hobotown.

«26 »