Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

SoleilEquil posted:

Well it certainly is the best price for trying something out... may be able to set up and jump on it this upcoming weekend when I have some free time. Everything has been boring me recently due to it all being such a "blitz to end-game now ram your face into your keyboard until you kill ULTRABOSS on legendary mode or whatever excuse of re-hashing content we came up with" game strategy.

I remember a friend quite literally not leaving his house for three days out of the blue when it first came out (neighborhood kids playing) and we all thought he died.

well when you make your character let us know who you are and we can do our best to help you out. I can do ports or maybe scare up some crummy gear and a few elfbucks for ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

Lakedaimon posted:

well when you make your character let us know who you are and we can do our best to help you out. I can do ports or maybe scare up some crummy gear and a few elfbucks for ya

First newbie question...elfbucks?

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

He's just talking about PP (Platinum Pieces), the main game currency piece.

10 copper = 1 silver, 10 silver = 1 gold, 10 gold = 1 plat.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010
Thanks for clearing that up! Wasn't sure if it was some weird reputation-grind item,e tc.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Sorry about that im used to referring to imaginary in-game money as spacebucks in EVE and whatnot, and that isnt really applicable to a game like EQ. Well unless they added the Luclin expansion I suppose (which they wont).

Trip Report SONH:

had some serious success yesterday, but after someone interrupted me to tell me all about the horrible, soul-melting pedofurry characters you can make in TERA I went on a major cold streak. Still I should be several thousand plat richer.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Lakedaimon posted:

had some serious success yesterday, but after someone interrupted me to tell me all about the horrible, soul-melting pedofurry characters you can make in TERA I went on a major cold streak. Still I should be several thousand plat richer.

Nice! Every time I try to camp Soblohg I get jack poo poo, but I've gotten 4-5 BD/Diamonds just knockin him off on the way to Seb or wherever.

SoleilEquil posted:

Possibly starting EQ

If you do decide to start up put all of us on your friends list (check 2nd post) and don't be afraid to send tells about whatever ( /t playername ).

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Nice! Every time I try to camp Soblohg I get jack poo poo, but I've gotten 4-5 BD/Diamonds just knockin him off on the way to Seb or wherever.

Unfortunately now he is light blue to me and I dont think even I could stomach grinding through a level camping him anymore. Managed to get two black sapphires and a diamond though, and I made a harrowing run to Karnors in order to transfer them to my main. So ill probably try Dalnir zone in now to keep the exp bar moving.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Jesus, the double XP weekend really illustrated how slow XP is. I managed to struggle to 15 on my Bard but after a vacation I'm finding it hard to get back into things, especially since the idea of the learning curve for swarm kiting on P99 is so intimidating (and I'm not 18 for the second AOE).

Let me offer some advice to anyone starting:

Do not go to loving Oasis. It is the most boring zone in the game and I'm not sure why everyone congregates there. Get your rear end to Unrest if at all possible.

Think really carefully before starting in Qeynos. It's probably my favorite zone to start in, but you don't really realize how isolated it is until Blackburrow XP dries up. Because of this, no one actually seems to start there. /who all blackburrow returns 1-3 results on average.

Apply for IP exemptions immediately upon starting if there is even the slightest chance that you will play with someone from the same location. The guides on P99 are great. The programmers are relatively snappy with updates. Everyone else is just godawful. It really does take 4-8 weeks to get an exemption for some inscrutable reason. Just kidding, it's easily explained: the idiot that approves them is just loving lazy.

Do not make a tank unless you have access to Platinum Fire Wedding Rings. (Exception: You play an Ogre or Troll). The kindness of goons will probably get you a pair, but if you can't get some, don't try to tank as anything other than an Ogre/Troll until you save your pennies and buy some/beg for some. Your HP is just way too low otherwise, and Clerics are drat rare. Not to say Clerics are the only healers, mind you, but they're probably the only ones that can keep up with the tiny margin of error your low HP causes early on.

I can't think of anything else, really. Livejournal post: I'm thinking about (re?)rolling a Wizard. They're mysteriously rare. If I do, I'll have some Bard-appropriate (and possibly applicable to other classes) gear for another goon Bard. Also, potential income from ports.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ok so I lie like a cheap rug. I dont have a ton of playtime during the week so ive just been camping that drat frog. At least I got another black sapphire. This weekend I should be able to go find a proper exp spot

Yeah as far as advice to a new player... do we try to steer them away from hybrids and their ridiculous 40% exp penalty? Probably Ranger at least.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

boho posted:

Great anecdotal advice for new folks

I'll just add - don't be afraid to ask if you need help with stuff.

I love the poo poo out of starting in Qeynos, mostly because BB and gnolls fangs are the absolute best way to get XP around from 1-12, especially if you're not twinked to kingdom come - as such, I'm more than happy to run my wizard over to QHills to snag level 12 people who've done all they can there to eliminate that painful run. You just need to ask.

I also have access to a 250 JCer and am happy to hook people up with 5/55 rings or whatever other non-Jacinth/BD/BS/Diamond stuff they need. You just need to ask.

The main thing is, if goons in game don't know who you are and you don't ever ask for help, it's really hard to hook you up. We really love it when people stick around and play long term, but even if you aren't sure if you're going to be one of them, don't let that be a detriment to looking us up. If we give you things and you disappear it's really not that big of a deal. No one is going to give a new person anything that they expect to see returned in any way, so if you decide to check things out, let us know - many of us are happy to help. (It's a pleasant surprise when people log in one last time to return stuff before quitting :D )

Lakedaimon posted:

Yeah as far as advice to a new player... do we try to steer them away from hybrids and their ridiculous 40% exp penalty? Probably Ranger at least.
Hybrids are rough, but I honestly think people should play whatever they enjoy. 1-50 for any class/race combo is a joke compared to 51-60, so pick something you think you'll like playing all the time, and treat the first 50 levels as an experiment.

That said, if people are interested in which classes are better for soloing and grouping situations, there are reasons to recommend certain classes above others.

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

Are rogues sought after in groups? I have a 34 rogue who is well geared in pre-kunark items. 880hp/489ac, strength heavy gear (190 strength), Gloomwater and PSD.

Rainbow_Horse fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 29, 2012

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
I just recently started playing again, after getting burnt out shortly before the Kunark release. Is a lot of the goon presence no longer in Invalid Guild? I don't think I've seen more than two people on even during the evenings.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bybus Slago posted:

I just recently started playing again, after getting burnt out shortly before the Kunark release. Is a lot of the goon presence no longer in Invalid Guild? I don't think I've seen more than two people on even during the evenings.

Most of us left and went to various other guilds a long time ago. Even pre-Kunark, once people hit 46 they were leaving to whatever raiding guilds were big at the time (Divinity, DA? I can't remember). The guys I leveled up with in IG (I remember awesome times in Unrest, heh) have all seem to have left anyways. I mean, there's a couple still around (Illtair/Bugen, Sirduh is apparently playing again some, etc), but yeah, IG is dead as far as "doing something".

Pretty much when I came back after Kunark was released, there was noone in the guild, and that's when I left to join BDA.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Rainbow_Horse posted:

Are rogues sought after in groups? I have a 34 rogue who is well geared in pre-kunark items. 880hp/489ac, strength heavy gear (190 strength), Gloomwater and PSD.

Rogues are great DPS and definitely sought after in groups once the tank/healer/cc spots are locked down. You'd want to update your weapons a bit with kunark stuff, but otherwise you would be set. Because the rogue epic is so easy to do the price of rogue mainhand weapons has plummeted, so you should be able to pick up something decent for cheap.

Bybus Slago posted:

It's pretty much like xZAOx said - people have largely moved on to other guilds. If you're under 50 and looking to level up, Full Circle seems to be the place to be right now. If you're getting close to 50 and looking to do some raiding or work on your epic, BDA has probably the most goons at this point of any of the casual-ish raiding guilds. TMO is the only option currently if you want to be involved in a hardcore raiding guild.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I love the poo poo out of starting in Qeynos, mostly because BB and gnolls fangs are the absolute best way to get XP around from 1-12, especially if you're not twinked to kingdom come - as such, I'm more than happy to run my wizard over to QHills to snag level 12 people who've done all they can there to eliminate that painful run. You just need to ask.

Similarly, my druid is bound in Qeynos, so anyone can feel free to ask Arctos or Runes for a port out of there (or anywhere for that matter).

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
Is swarm kiting plausible on this server?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Thanks to Illtair for helping with my lovely level 50 Life Leech quest.

After loving up on my first try at the quest, I had to get all the quest components again plus another 3k plat.

Come along for the pictorial journey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to kill the Noble on live side of lguk. Thankfully he popped after killing the first placeholder. He dropped the white gold necklace I needed.

Illtair came down to perma to help me kill a few icy terrors before we could get a prickly pear to drop.

The last steps of the quest are all in Rathe Mountains, it's just a matter of turning in certain components. Everything centered around this "Telesm" necklace thing. The second to last step involves giving the telesm to a druid npc, which kills her. gently caress druids.

Illtair was able to find a cleric and mage to help out with the MONSTROUS loving ZOMBIE OH poo poo (red skeleton). Prior to this I accidentally used my OT Hammer trying to kill a mob and had to be gated back, it was really me at my best.

Zombie dropped a heart which I gave to the quest NPC and I got my lovely spell that drains 280HP for too much loving mana.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 29, 2012

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

moolchaba posted:

Prior to this I accidentally used my OT Hammer trying to kill a mob and had to be gated back

Ohhh yea, I've definitely pulled this smooth move before. Mine was along the lines of "Last call to sky, OT hammer spot". I got there, got up to sky, looted my key corpse, made it to the correct island, engaged boss mob ... poof, right back to OT!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

ohno posted:

Ohhh yea, I've definitely pulled this smooth move before. Mine was along the lines of "Last call to sky, OT hammer spot". I got there, got up to sky, looted my key corpse, made it to the correct island, engaged boss mob ... poof, right back to OT!

Uh, what? Thought OT hammers, like gate, ports, etc, didn't work in Sky...

Jangles
Apr 1, 2006
Just started playing this after not having played EQ in forever. God, I hate/love how long it takes to level, and how an even con mob can kill me about 20% of the time.

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

One does not play EQ because one enjoys playing EQ. One plays EQ because one hates the self.

Can someone enlighten me on my choice of Rogue weapons? I have ~500pp to spend.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Oh god please tell me 35 was a hell level. I shoulda just stayed in the swamp. Ended up grinding out the last orange in the Overthere against blues that hit like freight trains. Maybe it really is time to get myself over to the old world.

Im not super familiar with rogue weapons. Is Gloompoon the best available weapon in that price range? I know Bone Razors have plummeted in price down to like 2k, but im sure there has to be something decent im forgetting.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!

Lakedaimon posted:

Oh god please tell me 35 was a hell level. I shoulda just stayed in the swamp. Ended up grinding out the last orange in the Overthere against blues that hit like freight trains. Maybe it really is time to get myself over to the old world.

Im not super familiar with rogue weapons. Is Gloompoon the best available weapon in that price range? I know Bone Razors have plummeted in price down to like 2k, but im sure there has to be something decent im forgetting.

Either 35 or 34 is a hell level. I can't remember. I think it's every level that ends in 5 and 9 if I remember correctly.

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
Trying to get started up with a buddy. I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I have a couple million D3 gold I'm trying to get rid of if anyone has some plat they'd want to trade :)

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jamuraan posted:

Either 35 or 34 is a hell level. I can't remember. I think it's every level that ends in 5 and 9 if I remember correctly.

30/35/40/45 and 54/59 are currently the hell levels: http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Game_Mechanics#Experience_Requirement_by_Level
It did used to be 29/34/39/44 a long time ago on P1999, so you might be remembering that Jam.

Rainbow_Horse posted:

Can someone enlighten me on my choice of Rogue weapons? I have ~500pp to spend.
Jade Chokdai Prod (11/30) is roughly 500pp and you will need one someday anyway to do your HS key quest.

Rapier of Oriin, Bone Razor, and some other pretty big upgrades to JCP are in the 2-4k range these days, so you could get a JCP and save for those.

xZAOx posted:

They don't anymore but I guess maybe they did early on?

Zombones posted:

Trying to get started up with a buddy. I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I have a couple million D3 gold I'm trying to get rid of if anyone has some plat they'd want to trade :)
FYI this sort of trade is against server rules and will result in a ban for both parties if you get caught. Just sayin!

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 1, 2012

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

xZAOx posted:

Huh, yea, I must be mixed up. But I've definitely OT'd on accident at very inopportune moments.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Well, they still haven't approved my multiple-IP request. Or even commented on it.

I learned today that it's possible to play EQ Mac (the permanently locked in PoP pre-Rathe Council nerf server) on a PC. And it's free. And its population is competitive with P99's.

So, when it comes to getting my free classic EQ fix, I'm probably going to be doing it on EQ Mac (unless P99 gets around to giving me an exemption soon). Assuming they don't, I'll be sure to hand off my gear to a needy goon or otherwise return it to whoever's dishing out the welcome packages.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

EQ Mac is free? Thats cool. But I think I can live without Luclin and PooP.

Hit 37 in the monk, still just crawling along but ive made some serious bank. Has anyone here done the Jboots MQ before? I was fortunate to get the boots from Drelzna on my original character (first spawn too lol). And the monk could really use them. Just wondering how much of a pain it will be, ive got the 5k no problem.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

boho posted:

I learned today that it's possible to play EQ Mac (the permanently locked in PoP pre-Rathe Council nerf server) on a PC. And it's free. And its population is competitive with P99's.

So, when it comes to getting my free classic EQ fix, I'm probably going to be doing it on EQ Mac (unless P99 gets around to giving me an exemption soon). Assuming they don't, I'll be sure to hand off my gear to a needy goon or otherwise return it to whoever's dishing out the welcome packages.

Cool coincidence, I was just about to ask if anyone had tried EQMac on a PC, and I researched it a bit today. I'm going to try it today when I get home. Here's what I gathered from a bit of searching:

1) download Intel EQMac client:
http://www.eqmac.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10782

2) guide to play on PC, including a hack to the patcher:
http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorpg-general-discussion/38234-eqmac-now-free-play-79.html#post2289359

A few other random tips and fixes to bugs I found, which may or may not be necessary:

* In windows you can create a junction to a directory on another drive. For example if you want the actual files to be on D: create an EQMac directory there then run in a command prompt:
C:\>mklink /J /D EQMac d:\EQMac

* I was having very strange problems with this. The graphics were messing up very strangely, and I was running at supersonic speed. Fixed it.

You need to set processor affinity to 1. This is what my command line looks like...
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 eqw.exe

* IF you need to fix your FPS issues and your gfx card software doesn't allow it, there is a freeware program called dxtory with an FPS limiter. I have mine set to 60 and it works perfectly. Fraps has one also, but only works in record mode. Dxtory is always on without recording.

* crash upon patching:
That is what happens when your virus software deletes WSOCK.DLL from your program directory at launch. Reinstall "secrets patch" and disable your virus software before you start the program

Can't wait to try it out!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

If you happen to figure out how to make the Bazaar usable on PC EQMac please let me know, it's a pretty big dealbreaker.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Biaaaaaaatch!

Works on the PC and I'm in the game! :D

Edit: Holy shiiiiiiit check this out:

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 5, 2012

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Go into eqclient.ini and turn NewUI to TRUE. Seeing the original stuff is great, but it's hella unstable unless you're using the Luclin (NewUI) one.

blatman posted:

If you happen to figure out how to make the Bazaar usable on PC EQMac please let me know, it's a pretty big dealbreaker.
The Bazaar is working fine for me. What's the problem you're having?

Other tips from the install guide:

quote:

11. IMPORTANT: Edit eqclient.ini NewUI=TRUE instead of NewUI=FALSE (This removes the Classic and Velious UI in favor of the Luclin UI, however, the client is much more stable and actually 100% playable as opposed to playing with the older UIs. My suggestion: try the old UIs for a little bit for nostalgia purposes, but inevitably you should switch to Luclin UI for full game functionality! )

11. (Optional): Rename eqtheme.mp3, combattheme1.mp3, combattheme2.mp3, combattheme3.mp3, deaththeme.mp3, lavastorm.mp3, guk.mp3, and nektulos.mp3 to have the original classic MIDI versions restored!

12. (Optional): Go to eqclient.ini, and change LOADARMOR17 through LOADARMOR23 from =FALSE to =TRUE. Change LoadVeliousArmorsWithLuclin=FALSE to LoadVeliousArmorsWithLuclin=TRUE (This will allow you to see Velious armor skins)

Source: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=559490&postcount=110

boho fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 6, 2012

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

boho posted:

The Bazaar is working fine for me. What's the problem you're having?

All of my bazaar searches are unusable, I can't click on any of the results or read any of the results or search for vendors, and all of the prices are just massive strings of numbers extending into forever.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

blatman posted:

All of my bazaar searches are unusable, I can't click on any of the results or read any of the results or search for vendors, and all of the prices are just massive strings of numbers extending into forever.

Ohhh OK, I see the problem you're having now. Sorry, I know of no fix for that. It would explain why I get so many "browsing" visitors when I'm in /trader, though.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jamuraan posted:

I was level 45 for two years. Definitely a hell level.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Lakedaimon posted:

anyone here done the Jboots MQ before?

I did the jboots MQ on my P1999 monk 8 months ago or so, when he was around level 20. It worked like normal, and then I proceeded to fear kite giants until "ding 50".

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Zombones posted:

I'd be interested in doing this. Hit me up at whitetalon (at) gmail.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

ohno posted:

I did the jboots MQ on my P1999 monk 8 months ago or so, when he was around level 20. It worked like normal, and then I proceeded to fear kite giants until "ding 50".

sorry for the dumb questions but im just curious what the standard procedure is as far as payment - after the quest is complete or before? I dont think ive ever MQd a quest except through like friends or guildmates. its not exactly convenient for a lizard monk to run around with 5500 plat in antonica, so im hoping to pay using my wizard parked in the same spot.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
For MQs, especially cheaper ones like JBoots, you pay the MQer and then they will do the turnins (with you doing the gold turnin last to receive the jboots). It's generally pretty safe to pay them on a different character and then log over to the one getting the MQ as well.

If you were doing a big MQ like a complete epic or something you could use a third party for escrow, but even then I think you're pretty safe handing over cash first. I haven't heard of anyone successfully ripping someone off for a MQ in a long long time. The GMs ban people for scamming and typically get cash/items back to scammed people as well - you'd just likely have to wait a bit.

quote:

EQMac stuff
Not to discourage discussion in this thread at all - EQMac chat is welcome - but there may be other goons playing who are reading the thread for SOE maintained servers rather than this one. It might be worth checking if you're trying to find people to play with. A lot of my P99 buddies have been playing over on EQMac and are having a blast raiding Velious content, but I really despise Luclin+ so I haven't bothered getting it to work. Pilsner, I will link to your post in the OP so interested people have a place to look for the info.

Also, if anyone is actively playing on both P99 and EQMac, I know that Kanras and the other P99 devs are looking for help with Velious quests. If you're questing in Velious over on EQMac and want to lend a hand over on P99, check this thread for more info: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76729

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
For those of you who have been waiting for IP exemptions:

Nilbog posted:

Recently, two additional staff members were requisitioned to process IP exemption requests.

If you have not received your pending IP exemption request yet, you should have an answer to your petition soon.

Thanks
Hopefully this means that they'll be looked at more than once every few months from now on.

• Locked thread