Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
This is my first real "project" thread and I'm not quite sure what sort of details most people look for so I hope it does not end up as a stream of consciousness. I was hoping to hold off of this thread since I don't feel I've made enough progress to warrant it yet, but I can't help but get excited when I go out to work on it and thus the need to share.

Here is a little background first.

I present my 1989 MR2 NA that as it stood before being parked in the unit has 255,000+ miles; rust free, straight as a rail and had a tome of service records since it was rolled off the lot in late 89. Also according to the door jam and Araon from the MR2 masters at ATS racing, it was one of the last 200 built before they started pumping out the Super Edition. I've had it four years so far and don't see myself getting rid of it ever.

It does have its flaws, the original motor gave out after a month in my ownership. I found another 4age in a yard and threw it in. That one survived 3 months before something made its way into #3 and destroyed the piston. I took my time picking around until I found a "smallport" 4age out of a AE92 Corolla through an importer in SoCal. 3 years later and the bug bite me again. The smallport is such an awesome little motor but I wanted something bigger that didn't upset the weight too badly (No 3VZFE) or the reliability (No 3SGTE).

Alright enough of that crap, lets get this disaster started.

I found a 96 1mzfe out of a crashed camry one lazy weekend junkyard binge. The motor was a sludge warranty motor with less than 60k on it. Jackpot!

A week later it was cleaned and freshened up. I slowly began collecting the larger parts for the swap and poured over several other build threads. Mounting the engine was the biggest hurdle in my mind.

The 4 major parts.
  • 1MZFE, 3VZFE or if you have a lot of money you can throw in a 2GRFE.
  • You can either use the S54 transmission out of stock NA MK2 MR2 or you can throw in the E153 out of a Turbo Mr2. I snagged a non LSD e153 for next to nothing.
  • Axle setup is very similar to the Mr2 MK1.5 builds. You use either the S54 and its axles with Celica St185 outers or you can use the e153 from a turbo car and its beefer supported turbo shafts with ST185 outers like I plan to do. Some of the British guys have used the standard 4AGZE axles with no problems but they are hard to find in workable condition.
  • Wiring the pig up to the stock chassis harness. I hate electronics and have a chap in the owners club who will build a plug and play harness for me. He did the smallport one aswell.

9lb Chromoly flywheel for a MR2 Turbo. Needs a little machine work before I can mate the engine to the now cleaned up transmission. Stock Turbo Exedy clutch kit bolts right up.

Had to drill out a bolt hole on the block, 5 of the 8 bolts lined right up. Cool beans! You ever have that moment in the garage where you run around the bay fist pumping the air because everything turns perfectly for once?

Exhaust off. I'm going to give making my own a shot. Most likely I'm going to build it around a Flowmaster 80 since my 3rd gen mullet is showing.

Started pulling the Smallport out. I will miss it. 4AGEs are such awesome little motors.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puGKFkP13fc

Yoink! Out it goes. I wheeled it around to the passenger side of the car to get it out of the way. I don't know what I'm going to do with it. It as it stands has everything it needs to plug into another MK1 but it's never been opened and it leaks a little oil around the front of the pan.

Cleaning the bay, that bottle of purple super clean crap from Advance worked pretty well cutting through the grim and poo poo that has collected over the years.

There I'm all caught up on the last week's worth of work. I dropped the fuel tank today. The stock pump will never keep up with the V6.

I grabbed a stock Denso pump for a MK2 Turbo and threw it all together. I'm amazed the rubber ring for the tank stayed in one piece.

Tank has a little rust in it; no sweat.

Ran home with some measurements for my engine mounts. My goal is "ZERO CUTTING" of the body. Most people who do this swap cut the stock mounts out and weld in their own custom set. There is a company in the UK that sell the passenger side mount (I purchased one) but it still requires cutting. Last resort. I found a few people who were able to get away without cutting their mounts up so I drew some inspiration. They are being made from 1/4 inch steel. I figure the engine's aluminum mounting bracket will fail well before this bends.

This Saturday I'm going to throw the gas tank back up, reconnect everything under that section of the car and hopefully start my first round of test hanging the motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
This is a crazy, wonderful build. I know nothing about the advantages or disadvantages of having a V6 in an MR2 - but I look forward to seeing how you engineer this thing into existence.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I've been mulling this one over for a while. Thanks for doing it first.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Can't wait to see more updates! Looks like it will be fun :dance:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
cool it's going to be a baby NSX :3:

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

psssSSSSSSHHHHHHH TOOTOOTootootoo
I got to drive an 87 with a 1mz in it at an MR2 trackmeet in Oregon (called PacNW) and it was drat fast. Way better than the anemic 4age. This will be a fun project :)

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I was gonna say you shouldve done a 3sgte but then I have a friend with a 1.5 that has ran like once in 3 years so yea :v:

Shoulda went with a 2GR motor though, 300whp just with manifolds :toot:. But then it costs a bomb and youve got the effort of faffing with getting dbw working or going standalone and fabbing a conventional throttle.

Is the uk company woodsport? If so you should ask him to get you some st185/65 brakes. I forget which one but they bolt straight on to the aw11.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
Every now and then I watch this video and daydream how awesome having a v6 mr2 (sw20 in this case) would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_PkswoXMx0

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Kotaru posted:

This is my first real "project" thread and I'm not quite sure what sort of details most people look for so I hope it does not end up as a stream of consciousness.

I think you've hit it just right. :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
If I already didn't have a 4AGZE with matching E51 and axles, I'd be going down this road right now with mine.

I still may join the V6 club eventually (when I get tired of the 4AGE).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ursa_minor posted:

This is a crazy, wonderful build. I know nothing about the advantages or disadvantages of having a V6 in an MR2 - but I look forward to seeing how you engineer this thing into existence.

More power, obviously!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Manny posted:

Every now and then I watch this video and daydream how awesome having a v6 mr2 (sw20 in this case) would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_PkswoXMx0

It sounds nice but it has the horrible 3vz motor

This is the only way to go with an SW20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykq9-1RFrWo
Making it a cut price evora with much worse suspension

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

More power, obviously!

Could be your Panda:

Man up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mom's Avalon has a 1MZFE, and even with 120k in a 3500 lb barge it'll throw you back a bit when you stomp it. Definitely one of the smoothest/quietest engines I've ever run across too, you really can't even tell it's running at idle.

This is going to be stupid fast and fun. :swoon:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Idiot race posted:

This is the only way to go with an SW20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykq9-1RFrWo
Making it a cut price evora with much worse suspension

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to swap in a 1MZ with a supercharger? Rigging up all the DBW stuff sounds like it would be a pain in the rear end.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Internet Meme posted:

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to swap in a 1MZ with a supercharger? Rigging up all the DBW stuff sounds like it would be a pain in the rear end.
Does anybody know if there are people other than TRD who have made a supercharger for the 1MZ?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
This is going to be a good car.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Internet Meme posted:

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to swap in a 1MZ with a supercharger?

Good lucking finding one. I see them pop up on solaraguy.com once and awhile for 1500-2500 for incomplete kits. I would like to get one some day, but I need to walk before I run.. lean.

Bang Me Please posted:

Does anybody know if there are people other than TRD who have made a supercharger for the 1MZ?
TRD are the only "official" kit that was made. There have been a couple people who have clobbered a M90 onto one with varying levels of success.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
Cool can you fit a LS1 in it? If not, you should find out.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

wav3form posted:

Cool can you fit a LS1 in it? If not, you should find out.

:jerkbag: hurrrr ls1

He clearly has an engine prepared and is in the middle of an already decided engine swap.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Kotaru posted:

Good lucking finding one. I see them pop up on solaraguy.com once and awhile for 1500-2500 for incomplete kits. I would like to get one some day, but I need to walk before I run.. lean.

drat, nevermind then. Does the 1MZ respond well to mods?

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Sockington posted:

:jerkbag: hurrrr ls1

He clearly has an engine prepared and is in the middle of an already decided engine swap.

Never mind that, how do we know he can't be swayed?

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010

wav3form posted:

You've been spoiled by ultimateforce, is all.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

We all have.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

wav3form posted:

They require me to cut more than the frame and throw out over a years worth of parts hording.

Here is the only one I've ever seen near completion; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2VDG8uwXRE

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Got some prep work done Saturday but was called into work Sunday. Thankfully my work is flexible (Being a PRN is lovely), I was able to get Monday off and spent a good 2 hours playing the game of "don't drop the car"; its roughly in there.

I need to rotated the whole package more towards the rear and straighten it up a bit. I tweaked my passenger side mount and will bolt it on next time I'm out at the shed. That way I just have to jack up the transmission side and I can level out the motor before welding that mount together.

Almost in the same spot at the 4AGE crank.

Changing the alternator would most likely require an engine drop.

Need to paint this pig silver or something after I chop off some extra metal and grind it smooth. My welds are poo poo. :(

I did stumble on this while craiglist browsing last week, 5+ days with no reply to any of my emails. Little bummed about that. My beater MR2 is such a piece of poo poo and a chore to drive. I want to replace it.

Working 12+ hour shifts for the next 3 days straight then I work most of the weekend. Next goal is to figure out what I'm hitting on the front firewall and get the transmission mount tacked together.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 2, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sir Cornelius posted:

Could be your Panda:

Man up.

Where did you get this picture I have to know more now now now.

My project thread is coming very soon you see....:ohdear:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Very cool project! In a car that weighs like 2300 pounds that's going to be quite a rocket. I almost did a v6 swap into my na mkII mr2 but bought a turbo instead. did you skip out on the LSD transmission because of the deal you got or some other reason? I can imagine doing the one wheel peel with all of that torque is going to suck.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Paul Boz_ posted:

Very cool project! In a car that weighs like 2300 pounds that's going to be quite a rocket. I almost did a v6 swap into my na mkII mr2 but bought a turbo instead. did you skip out on the LSD transmission because of the deal you got or some other reason? I can imagine doing the one wheel peel with all of that torque is going to suck.

I got from a friend for hilariously cheap so I can always drop the transmission later to either throw in a LSD or swap it out. Every other LSD box that wasn't ragged to hell was over a grand.

I do want to snatch the taller 5th gear out of the rare Camry E153 so I'm not puttering down the highway at 75mph turning 3k.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Kotaru posted:

I got from a friend for hilariously cheap so I can always drop the transmission later to either throw in a LSD or swap it out. Every other LSD box that wasn't ragged to hell was over a grand.

I do want to snatch the taller 5th gear out of the rare Camry E153 so I'm not puttering down the highway at 75mph turning 3k.

I suggest that if you do install a LSD at some point to just look for a used quaife or other aftermarket unit because they're usually common on the mr2 turbo boards and are a lot stronger than the stocker.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Had the day off and went to Harbor Freight to get a bench grinder and some other odds and ends. The 5 inch bench grinder is weak, you cant put any pressure on it or else it stalls. poo poo.

Let's begin!

Started mocking up the driver's side engine mount.

With the engine level in the bay and the passenger side mount, I end up with this.

If I oval out that side of the mount I might be able to get away with it.

Nice and level.

Also risked my hand and tried spotting some of the areas getting stuck on the fiberglass mat on the firewall.

Hit. I might try reeling in the alt and using a shorter belt.

Hit. Common issue with 1MZFE AW11s, melting the shifter cables. I'll deal with that later. Wrap the headers / down pipe I plan to get, put a liberal amount of thermal blanketing/tape on the shifter cable sleeves and try to brace them away from the header.

And hit. I can check my oil from INSIDE the car.

I threw on the intake manifold before I rolled out for the day. The plenum hits the engine lid latch and prevents the engine from leveling out. I could cut it out and run hood latches/pins but I want to at least attempt to keep my stock latch.

Back to work for the weekend and Monday. I might try my first go at the drivers side engine mount Tuesday if I can get my welder play nice.

Also, if some of you guys are anything like me then you like to stare at hundreds of useless pictures! I've taken ALOT more than I've posted and if you want to stomp through my tome of crap knock yourselves out; http://kotaru.imgur.com

Edit: Wish I thought of something funny for the title of the thread when I started it. :(

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 6, 2012

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
You've done a drat fine job cleaning up that long block.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn, I thought the engine bay in my Altima was cramped. You weren't kidding about having to drop the engine to change the alternator. How will you be able to get to the oil dipstick?

edit: just saw in the project thread that you wanted to tear up the roads around Kerrville once it's done. I am so loving jealous, that's a beautiful area (especially out toward Hunt).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 7, 2012

valinhorn
Jun 25, 2006
I am no one to be Trifled with!!!!

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamn, I thought the engine bay in my Altima was cramped. You weren't kidding about having to drop the engine to change the alternator. How will you be able to get to the oil dipstick?

By reaching over his shoulder while he is driving. The ultimate in both style and convenience.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Just bend the dip tube sideways with a pipe bender.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Splizwarf posted:

Just bend the dip tube sideways with a pipe bender.

That crossed my mind. I might unbolt the tube and go junkyard crawling for a minivan that has a similar sized dipstick. But I want to get the engine hung on all four mounts before fiddle with other issues.

I tacked together the first version of the drivers side mount and stopped. I'm having some confidence issues with my welding, I'm worried about my lovely welds snapping off first large bump I hit. I'm a pretty novice welder with a tiny 100amp flux and most of the steel is 3/8 to 1/4 inch thick, I think I'm going to finalize the mount design, tack it together and then have someone with more skill and a bigger welder finish it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Kotaru posted:

I tacked together the first version of the drivers side mount and stopped. I'm having some confidence issues with my welding, I'm worried about my lovely welds snapping off first large bump I hit. I'm a pretty novice welder with a tiny 100amp flux and most of the steel is 3/8 to 1/4 inch thick, I think I'm going to finalize the mount design, tack it together and then have someone with more skill and a bigger welder finish it.
That's a good idea, your weld doesn't look good. Just tack and get it professionally welded.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Finish the mounts then have someone recreate them.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
You could also get some scrap to practice on. You should also turn the voltage up on your welder a bit, since it looks like you're running a little cold. You can also do multiple passes on the thicker stuff if your wire is made for it. Just play with the heat settings and practice your movements.

This is an awesome project though. I dreamed of doing this same swap on my old aw11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I sell header exhaust wrap for pretty cheap, I have two left of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320796153184

• Locked thread