Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Kotaru posted:

Its also decided to house a large collection of black widows now and I'm a giant prissy girl when it comes to spiders. :(

Burn it to the ground, buy a new one. Only way to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Kotaru posted:

Kerrville MR2 meet

I want to go to this. I will drive my Miata or take my motorcycle from Austin, but I want to go to Kerrville, especially for a MR2 meet.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

You Am I posted:

That's pretty nice, however someone should remind the writer of that article that the power will be going to the front wheels.

I love this video, a Supra with a 1UZ-FE at 9300rpm on a dyno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clRvHdA47rw
Haha, that's my youtube channel....

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Quick update before I head off to work. I got a fair bit of wiring work done, planned out my exhaust and did a butt load of little things.

The oiling system is done and just need to be screwed into the oil adapter on the engine. The oil cooler/fan is in the trunk.

Cut out and mocked up the passenger side jackshaft mount. Need to fix the bottom left bolt hole placement and weld/paint it.

Replaced the red covers I had on the motor with some new covers. The painted red ones where cracked/scuffed and sludged to hell. I'll get it powder coated red down the road.

Going to throw the motor in the car Tuesday since labor day is going to be spent an hour north helping a friend get his MR2 road ready. I'm worried about the alignment of my transmission side mount again compared to my template, I think I might have cocked it up a bit the more I look at it but I'll hit that issue Tuesday.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Loaded into the heap.

Nice and level.

There are a few issues even after all the time I spent test fitting, mocking up, etc.

Alt. is striking the coolant hardline on the firewall.

Had to flip the passenger side mount to drop that side about 10mm since I wanted the motor to sit a little lower this time around.

The rats nest on the left fills me with dread. I need to pull the drivers side mount back off and smooth/paint it.

The Camaro has developed a very infrequent hot miss at idle. They are conspiring against me.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Still one of my favourite projects. Keep it up!

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Im pretty content with the progress Im making so far but there have been issues. I discovered welding on a garage floor sucks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah, concrete's like that. Try welding on the car instead :downsrim:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Welding (in general) sucks!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

ultimateforce posted:

Welding (in general) sucks!

actually it's awesome and we wouldn't have a lot of goods without it!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Octopus Magic posted:

actually it's awesome and we wouldn't have a lot of goods without it!

Says the guy who doesn't weld everyday for a living.

The actual labour of welding for a profession is usually hot, full of fumes, and generally pretty lovely.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Sockington posted:

Says the guy who doesn't weld everyday for a living.

The actual labour of welding for a profession is usually hot, full of fumes, and generally pretty lovely.

I realize this, but someone has to do it. :(

edit: hire more computer controlled robot welders

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Octopus Magic posted:

I realize this, but someone has to do it. :(

edit: hire more computer controlled robot welders

All I'm hearing is tape a Lincoln welder to a Romba.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Doesn't look like I'm going to get to go to Kerrville this year; pretty bummed about it. I ran into a huge issue Tuesday with the axles. I had some difficulty getting the passenger side suspension/axle bolted up; ended up with zero travel on the inner CV. poo poo. Moved around to the driver's side, was over an inch off and unable to bolt up period. gently caress. I'm going to have to move the whole drat drivetrain an inch and a half towards the passenger side, what a huge pain in the rear end.

I was feeling pretty defeated and frustrated, I spent all of this time test fitting the motor, dropping it in and out for measurements to make sure I did it right the first time. Nope, like the socket in my hand minutes earlier, it was long loving gone and trying to sort it out was getting me rather flustered so I took Wednesday and Thursday off from working on the car. Then I had a eurka moment.

With this setup (almost exactly the same as a 3STGE swap)you use two turbo CV half shafts with the turbo jackshaft, but I had been using a ST185 axle with a rebuilt MR2 SC axle. The SC axle and the Turbo MK2 axle are the exact same length, while the ST185 axle is about.. wait for it.. two inches longer. I dug through my box of MR2 axle and piecemealed a Turbo MK2 axle together. Bolted it in with the orginal V6 Jackshaft rather than the Turbo Jackshaft and.. it rolls flawlessly. The CV joints on either side now have travel.

Axle angles are not too bad under load.

Oil pan clearance looks ok, sit a little lower than the stock 4age pan, but It should do fine. Engine Bright can for reference.

Pushed it out of the shop to do some cleaning up.

Dremel'ed out a vent to find a home for the oil temperature gauge. I hate gauge pods with a passion.

Took a day off yesterday and drove up to Tyler Tx Loco Gringo U pull and scored a complete cat back exhaust from a 4thgen TransAm. Its a 2.5" Flowmaster 80 into 2.25 pipes with Magnaflow 3" resonators for 30 bucks.

So while I'm sad I'm not going to get to fly around the twisties this year with a cloud of fellow MR2 owners, I'm happy that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

My next section to attack. Torque mounts.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 22, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are you gonna fabricate a skid plate for the oil pan? Looks like it would be a good idea.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

leica posted:

Are you gonna fabricate a skid plate for the oil pan? Looks like it would be a good idea.

Thought about it but there is about 5 inches of clearance as is and im not quite sure how to go about fabbing that up. Did mock up the back half of the exhaust; 2.25 all around.

Going to paint the whole thing with some black bbq paint.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Still working on the car. I was getting so frustrated with mocking up the torque mounts that I took a break and committed completely to the exhaust and prepping the engine for its first start; I the motor is going to take almost 7qts with all the oil plumping, cooler, and accumulator. I'm not 100% how I'm going to pre-oil a system so large. Its going to take a bit till for it to fill all of that up before it hit the bottom end.

Not bad for my first exhaust system. $30 bucks well spent. I'm curious how the V6 will sound through an 80 series.

Its far from perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Next stop is the Y pipe. I'm going to build a much cleaner/better flowing setup down the road since the OE setup has a 90 degree flow coming off the rear bank.

How everything sits right now.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 13, 2012

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Looking awesome. Can't wait for the start up!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

That looks like quite the clusterfuck, oh my!

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

ultimateforce posted:

That looks like quite the clusterfuck, oh my!

Its not that bad of a mess. :(

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

There is just a lot going on in there I mean.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Just throw a carb on it :v:

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Sockington posted:

Oh god. The vacuum hoses, they are everywhere. :stonk:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kotaru posted:

Oh god. The vacuum hoses, they are everywhere. :stonk:

I was kidding.

I really want to go V6, but I have soooo much 4AGE stuff that it just wouldn't make sense right now. Maybe I'll track down a M90 s/c..

Sockington fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 17, 2012

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Working on body mounts when spur of the moment decided I wanted to try to fire the engine.

Got a little excited near the end and went for a victory jog around the complex my car is stored at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Hogw6oeOk

Exhaust is half bolted on without any gaskets. No fires, no big issues outside of a CRAP LOAD of fuel leaks I had to track down.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 25, 2012

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

7 months from OP to first startup? God drat, son. Not bad, bot bad at all.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Nice!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Yeah for a thread making progress!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
This is my favourite AW11 project.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sockington posted:

This is my favourite AW11 project.

It's the only AW11 project. :smug:

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

ratbert90 posted:

I'm the jailhouse gay of Toyota project threads.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I'm in the process of getting a title for mine, cockbag. 1985 "competition shell" hardtop. :colbert:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sockington posted:

My name Tusen Takk and I approve of this message :v:

This is an awesome thread, and is also a huge influence on me (never) ever working on a V6 swapped Fiero.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

This is an awesome thread, and is also a huge influence on me (never) ever working on a V6 swapped Fiero.

They came stock with a V6 :confused:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sockington posted:

They came stock with a V6 :confused:

Sorry, I should clarify. A 3800 series 3.8L V6, not the little one that came in the GT.

My bad.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
They aren't much bigger. There's a local guy with two; a 3800 daily driver and a 3800S/C weekend car. :clint:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah, it's an easy peezy swap compared to the OP's but claustrophobic work spaces aren't my thing :v:

I find my IRL annoyingly tight, I would kill myself with that.

Edit: oooo never thought to use one of the Bonneville SSEI engines...

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Tusen Takk posted:

Edit: oooo never thought to use one of the Bonneville SSEI engines...
Fun fact: The 2000-2005 SSEi version of the L67 had an aluminum oil pan, while all others had a steel one. :eng101:

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Running on 8+ month old gas at the very bottom of the tank is one problem, but good god it sounds angry when you briefly hear it roar. I'm a little excited. The video does so little justice for how LOUD it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzeYufQ5XRU

I've got the exhaust bolted on for good now. Next stop is to fix the issues I've discovered starting up the engine (leaks), then tackle the CV shafts/transmission stuff since I want to get it out of the shop when I bleed the coolant.

Edit: Runs better with fresh gas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RO83WAMwGQ

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Kotaru posted:

Edit: Runs better with fresh gas.

That sounds nice and angry. :kimchi:

• Locked thread