Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Spoggerific posted:

I've never really thought about it before, but looking at the Earth from orbit during an eclipse would be really cool.
Agreed, and there are some, but they're from satellites whizzing around. It's probably cooler looking for a total eclipse since it would be a harder shadow around the edges. The best vantage point would obviously be the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Ka-pe!

cute daughter, hot wife, Mutta's right to be jealous.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Spoggerific posted:

Yeah, I was kind of expecting a bunch of awesome pictures of the Earth and ISS, though these are pretty cool in their own way.

They really should show more of those breathtaking space pics. Last episode it reverted back to astronauts doing god-knows what again.

Pyronic posted:

Ka-pe!

cute daughter, hot wife, Mutta's right to be jealous.
:3:
That was an unexpected reveal. From the way the series was going I was expecting Kenji was going to be Mutta's rival for Serika of sorts.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The ka-pe thing is going to come back to haunt us when Kenji is struck by space debris and his last word to Mutta is 'ka-pe, my brother!'.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morgenthau posted:

That was an unexpected reveal. From the way the series was going I was expecting Kenji was going to be Mutta's rival for Serika of sorts.

Me too and I'm glad they didn't, had enough of anime love triangles at the moment.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Me too and I'm glad they didn't, had enough of anime love triangles at the moment.

I think Mutta's love is going to be unrequited. Serika's not interested in much that isn't edible. If he were a nice spicy curry, that'd be totally different.

Intesting to watch this -- with NASA sending folks into space in 2025 -- and then seeing "reality" as it is in 2012 with SpaceX actually starting to do the job.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm not sure I can explain why, but I enjoy this series so much. It's great to finally watch an anime that doesn't conform to the same old stereotypes. I can imagine this show being produced as an American drama. There's just something so inspirational about it.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Dan7el posted:

I think Mutta's love is going to be unrequited. Serika's not interested in much that isn't edible. If he were a nice spicy curry, that'd be totally different.

Intesting to watch this -- with NASA sending folks into space in 2025 -- and then seeing "reality" as it is in 2012 with SpaceX actually starting to do the job.

The latest episode reinforces how much Serika is into food. Man, it was just food, food, food all the way. Mutta would have had a better chance if he was a chef; wrong career choice Mutta!

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

So, is it safe to assume the bus has just been circling the Jaxa parking lot for hours?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Vincent Valentine posted:

So, is it safe to assume the bus has just been circling the Jaxa parking lot for hours?

That's what I think. The test is obviously to see how they react in confined spaces with others for a few hours. Most of them seemed to react fairly well.

I love how Mutta always notices the wrong things. The driver is bald!

I didn't realize their telescope aunt wasn't really their aunt. I figured she married into the family or something. That was a pretty cool revelation.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

That was my thought too. It's plausible but there's no real evidence one way or another until they show us more of where they arrived, IMO.

Dan7el posted:

I didn't realize their telescope aunt wasn't really their aunt. I figured she married into the family or something. That was a pretty cool revelation.
What? Really? What made you think she was family?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

What? Really? What made you think she was family?

Well,they called her "aunt". Maybe I am not that familiar with the culture. I figured she was. Simple as that. Otherwise, just call her Miss or what-not. Also, they knew her from when they were young. Seemed logical to me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, I bet the facility their in won't have any windows or anything to do. They're going to be looking to see who goes nutty in a confined space for an extended period. Weeding out people susceptible to space madness and what not.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Dan7el posted:

Well,they called her "aunt". Maybe I am not that familiar with the culture. I figured she was. Simple as that. Otherwise, just call her Miss or what-not. Also, they knew her from when they were young. Seemed logical to me.

Fairly sure aunt is just how they chose to translate it. Oba-san is an honorific title you give to wise older women or some such.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

OmegaZultan posted:

Fairly sure aunt is just how they chose to translate it. Oba-san is an honorific title you give to wise older women or some such.

Even it is wasn't, it's not as if it's a culture thing anyway. I called half my parent's close friends Aunt/Uncle growing up.

But yeah, I'll be pretty floored if the bus actually went anywhere. What possible need could JAXA have for a top secret facility? Unless the next episode is where it gets revealed that aliens are secretly invading Earth and only barely held at bay by an elite team of giant robot pilots. If they do choose to go in this direction I have to say that I commend them on their devotion to the setup.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Dan7el posted:

"Oba-san" and "Oji-san" (note: not "obaa-san" or "ojii-san", with the longer syllable) translate to either "aunt"/"uncle" or "older woman"/"older man".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dan7el posted:

That's what I think. The test is obviously to see how they react in confined spaces with others for a few hours. Most of them seemed to react fairly well.

I love how Mutta always notices the wrong things. The driver is bald!

I kinda like while Mutta has skills he actually does seem to have a whole lot of luck that's helping him out. Achievements in ignorance and all that.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

I agree, but I think that there is more too it than that. I bet that there is really only 8 applicants and the remaining 7 are stooges set up to see how the candidates react to people with more grating personalities.
Fun episode anyhow, Mutta is hilarious as usual.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am pretty sure that you can cover the windows of a bus without armor-plating the entire thing. What was the point of that, were they venturing out of the Green Zone or something?

Sojourn
Mar 28, 2005

Rexides posted:

I am pretty sure that you can cover the windows of a bus without armor-plating the entire thing. What was the point of that, were they venturing out of the Green Zone or something?

Maybe they were trying to make them nervous before they even got on the bus. But, yeah, it was a tad bit odd.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Serika's joyous love of food is so endearing.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

I kinda like while Mutta has skills he actually does seem to have a whole lot of luck that's helping him out. Achievements in ignorance and all that.

I have experienced this first-hand in real life. You say one thing and mean another and they take it as the first thing which is way more intelligent than what you actually meant. Yeah. Been there.

Did that live-action movie hit Japan already? I am very curious as to what that story is.

The bus is armor plated because you can draw armor plating as easily as paint on the windows. Plus, it looks really ominous. If you tell me, "Get in that armor plated bus." versus "Get in that window-painted-over bus." I am going to think the armor plated bus means serious business.

Plus, armor plating makes a nice, natural Faraday cage. We all want to live in one of those, if we can.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Dan7el posted:

Did that live-action movie hit Japan already? I am very curious as to what that story is.

Yep. It has apparently made 15 mil (US, not yen) after it's 4th weekend now. Don't know if that's good or bad.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Depends on the budget I think.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

holy poo poo Mutta you smooth motherfucking troll

E: Also I'm guessing that based off of the Director's comments about the orange head, it does seem like they are decoys planted amongst the real candidates

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
it was a pretty blatant time deprivation test when they took away their watches. And I don't think there are plants in the group. If the orange head guy isn't a real candidate, then he's one hell of an actor to have a fake inner monologue. No wonder he isn't worried about being on camera, since there are apparently psychics taking the test.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Is there a source for the 13 episode count? By the way things are going right now it doesn't feel like the show is nearing an end at all and extrapolating by the amount of volumes and how far the anime is into the story it doesn't seem likely either.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

First off, I think the short, orange-haird, annoying-as-hell, applicant is not a plant. He's just bit overbearing and has gotten away with it apparently his whole life. My guess, and I am by no means a cultural expert here, so please correct me if I'm wrong, is that people in Japan don't aspire to act like this, but if someone does, there's like nobody there to correct them and they just keep getting away with it. The Japanese are just generally too polite. They might be thinking he's an annoying little poo poo, but no one will say anything about it.

In the good ol' USA he'd have been slapped down hard.

The first time they "focused the camera" on Serika, I thought "She's going to be thinking about food." Did I ever laugh when they gave away her inner thoughts. A tad one-dimensional, but funny as hell. That woman has a one-track mind.

Mutta has more or less already proven that he has the ability to track time very exactly without a clock or stopwatch. Didn't he clock his brother's running around the track in Texas to the second? Therefore, it's no huge leap here to assume that his guess that it is 3am is exactly correct simply because he has the unique ability to keep time internally.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dan7el posted:

Mutta has more or less already proven that he has the ability to track time very exactly without a clock or stopwatch. Didn't he clock his brother's running around the track in Texas to the second? Therefore, it's no huge leap here to assume that his guess that it is 3am is exactly correct simply because he has the unique ability to keep time internally.

Mutta has already stated that he had no idea how much time has passed while on the bus. Keeping track of minute amounts of time as opposed to hours are completely different things (either that or he just wasn't paying attention to the time, consciously or subconsciously at that point). Plus the whole big reveal at the end was that he did have a watch all along.

E: WAIT A MINUTE NO, I got it all completely wrong! Guys check out the beginning of this episode right after the OP. There's a clock on the dashboard

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 10, 2012

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

pandaK posted:

Mutta has already stated that he had no idea how much time has passed while on the bus. Keeping track of minute amounts of time as opposed to hours are completely different things (either that or he just wasn't paying attention to the time, consciously or subconsciously at that point). Plus the whole big reveal at the end was that he did have a watch all along.

E: WAIT A MINUTE NO, I got it all completely wrong! Guys check out the beginning of this episode right after the OP. There's a clock on the dashboard

You're right. I totally forgot he said that. I was so focused on the idea that he had some internal clock mechanism working for him. I remember being disappointed when he admitted it.

Good catch on the clock on the dashboard. It says 2:01.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Ha, I thought he was just looking at the bald driver, and he probably was, but his powers of observation win. I'm guessing the whole thing with talking to each person for 10 minutes was a trick and it was really only 6 minutes. That'd shave a full hour off.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
And here I was thinking someone was just going to set whatever time they put the battery in the clock as noon/midnight and go from there. Time is relative after all.

Edit: This episode really made me start to think how perfectly suited to adaptation into shounen anime/manga material the whole astronaut selection process is.

Amstrad fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 10, 2012

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

OmegaZultan posted:

Is there a source for the 13 episode count? By the way things are going right now it doesn't feel like the show is nearing an end at all and extrapolating by the amount of volumes and how far the anime is into the story it doesn't seem likely either.

The 13 episode count thing came from a bunch of people saying the people handling the show marked the end date as June 27th. June 27th was the end date for a poll/campaign/whatever they were running and people misunderstood it. All other (terrible, mostly unreliable hearsay)sources puts it at 48 episodes. Which is a lot, but also way more plausible considering we're at episode 11 and Mutta isn't even close to being in space yet.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

All other (terrible, mostly unreliable hearsay)sources puts it at 48 episodes. Which is a lot, but also way more plausible considering we're at episode 11 and Mutta isn't even close to being in space yet.
Which sources would those be? 48 sounds about right to me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I do have to wonder why the battery and clock was included in the puzzle setup. Why provide those things if they aren't necessary for figuring anything out?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Which sources would those be? 48 sounds about right to me.

Random blogs that turned up on google. I try not to stare too long into the abyss, if you know what I mean.

paragon1 posted:

I do have to wonder why the battery and clock was included in the puzzle setup. Why provide those things if they aren't necessary for figuring anything out?

It's a simple exercise to assess your teammates problem solving skills. Personally I would have just said 12am because it has zero impact whatsoever on anything, and 12am makes it easy to say "It is exactly Monday right now for all intents and purposes." How would this have made you feel if everyone else had done precise calculations to figure out the time that it should be at?

Also, I would be willing to bet that battery has six to seven days worth of battery life in it, just enough to get people comforted by having a clear passage of time, only to gently caress with them by taking it away.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

paragon1 posted:

I would imagine setting your clock to the answer is the next step of the exam.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That, and the clock is a nice visual and tactile element to help focus their thinking.

So is this going to be released 48 episodes/weeks in a row or will it be divided into seasons?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I was honestly expecting Mutta to pull a watch out of his afro at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

paragon1 posted:

Originally, I thought that perhaps the clock would be used to solve the riddle. Actually, though, they'll just set it. At the minimum, even if they mis-guess, this will give them something to mark the passage of time, relative rather than absolute for sure.

Also, if one or more of them are evil, they can gently caress with each other by resetting it. "I swear it feels like three hours has passed, Mutta!"

"No Serika-chan, only an hour has passed. See the clock?" (Secretly: Mwa haa haa haa haa -- he has set it back two hours).

Well, you could possibly drive your competition crazy that way.

• Locked thread