Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. Prometheus is nuts when it comes to trying to tie it in. You can assume some fan fictionary bullshit like I can, or just...don't think about it.

But that decon monster isn't an alien. At least not yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Not so fast there, that goofy looking thing at the end of Prometheus isn't an Alien. The Engineers may have been creating bioweapons from the Aliens, but the Aliens themselves predated what we saw in the movie - you can spot Aliens depicted in the murals in the Engineer structure, and the Derelict from 'Alien' was ancient and certainly predated the events of Prometheus.

Huh never made the connection this way. I always figured the Xenomorph murals were just depicting the type of "godlike" beings the Engineers were trying to create.

I guess that solidifies the connection between Engineers and humans, since they too seem dumb enough to try to use Xenomorphs as weapons, or at least try to craft some from them.

E: On the whole Alien reproduction lifecycle deal, I kind of piece it together that they primarily use a Queen for creating eggs, but in emergency situations like there's only one drone running around and no queen available, they'll develop the egg-morphing capability by themselves and start populating that way.

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 13, 2014

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Xenomrph posted:

Not so fast there, that goofy looking thing at the end of Prometheus isn't an Alien. The Engineers may have been creating bioweapons from the Aliens, but the Aliens themselves predated what we saw in the movie - you can spot Aliens depicted in the murals in the Engineer structure, and the Derelict from 'Alien' was ancient and certainly predated the events of Prometheus.

I figured the mural was like "this poo poo can make these".

Also it predating it doesn't really matter because they could just be using the same weapons.

I wish they had gone with the original script but that's me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
In the computer game Aliens: Colonial Marines, did they explain how Hadley's Hope is unnuked? I can't remember.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It got nuked, but not everything blew up.

Which is dumb.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I figured the mural was like "this poo poo can make these".

Also it predating it doesn't really matter because they could just be using the same weapons.

I wish they had gone with the original script but that's me.
I agree that I wish they'd gone with the original script.

Frankly I wish they'd divorced it from the Alien series completely. It's got interesting ideas and visuals, but saddling it with Alien baggage didn't do either movie any favors.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

In the computer game Aliens: Colonial Marines, did they explain how Hadley's Hope is unnuked? I can't remember.
The game doesn't spell it out, but the idea is that much of the atmosphere processor is underground so the brunt of the blast was channeled straight up out of the Atmosphere Processor structure we see in the movie, sort of like an underground nuclear detonation, rather than an above-ground one which would have been more devastating.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

SirDrone posted:

Has it ever been touched on or have explored the idea for alternatives Xenomorph life cycles? Like the whole needing a host or queen as the only method of reproduction seems kinda flimsy, what if in a situation they loving can't use facehuggers occur, what then? . The best I could find with is the Alien 3 script where *not a zombie virus* was turning people into xenos.

Before they decided the alien queen came from a human host, both she and the praetorians who defended her were hatched from giant, interconnected eggs in Aliens: Earth War. There was also a sub-group of people infected with a xeno-like virus who responded to the alien queen's telepathic instructions.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Xenomrph posted:

The game doesn't spell it out, but the idea is that much of the atmosphere processor is underground so the brunt of the blast was channeled straight up out of the Atmosphere Processor structure we see in the movie, sort of like an underground nuclear detonation, rather than an above-ground one which would have been more devastating.

This is pretty funny considering the explosion is so large you can pretty much see it from space in the movie.

Pretty great that even if the game was good it'd still make no goddamn sense.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

This is pretty funny considering the explosion is so large you can pretty much see it from space in the movie.

Pretty great that even if the game was good it'd still make no goddamn sense.
It was a half-baked way to take the player back to LV-426 because, well, the entire plot reads like Aliens fan-fiction greatest hits. Revisit the Sulaco? Check. Revisit Hadley's Hope? Check. Reenact scenes from 'Aliens' but with EVEN MORE ALIENS AND MARINES? Check. Powerloader fight with a big Alien? Check. Bring Hicks back from the dead? Check.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

blackguy32 posted:

Hmm, its like judging a film is a subjective process. I mean not as good as Alien or Aliens is still pretty drat good. Hell, Alien 3 is probably still better than 90 percent of the sci-fi/horror films out there.

And you're objectively wrong if you subjectively think the movie is anything but trash. :colbert:

Xenomrph posted:

Is this stated somewhere? I thought Ridley Scott himself said it was the Proto-Alien. Also the mural in the structure depict the Deacon, not the Aliens.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Just a quick reminder: gently caress this game, gently caress everyone involved in it, and heres to a long and messy downfall of the organization that spawned it.

Semper fi.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

Is this stated somewhere? I thought Ridley Scott himself said it was the Proto-Alien.
Ridley Scott said the opposite, acutally. I'm working on getting a direct quote, but he was the one saying that the "Deacon" isn't the proto-Alien. I'll post the quote when I find it.

Edit-- also I definitely felt the mural depicted a sort of capital-A Alien:

Incidentally that mural was actually designed for the movie by H R Giger himself, which is pretty neat.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 14, 2014

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
P sure he says that at the end of the bluray commentary -and man that commentary was a let-down. He mostly spends the whole time explaining the plot. Mostly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

IrvingWashington posted:

P sure he says that at the end of the bluray commentary -and man that commentary was a let-down. He mostly spends the whole time explaining the plot. Mostly.

Given the film's reception though it sounds very appropriate.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Edit-- also I definitely felt the mural depicted a sort of capital-A Alien:

Incidentally that mural was actually designed for the movie by H R Giger himself, which is pretty neat.

That's a bad shot, because with proper lighting you see it's head is angular, the same as the Deacon:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You're right; good eye. :) To be fair I haven't watched Prometheus since I saw it in the theatre, but I've been meaning to re-watch it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I know the concept of the Alien queen is bad-rear end and it's a great supermonster and everything, but I loved the consistency of the Dan O'Bannon original design.

Alien captures person - turns person into egg - egg hatches facehugger - facehugger hugs face - alien spawns - alien captures person - etc etc.

The introduction of the queen sort of makes the process more complicated by breaking the cycle, and there's something horribly utilitarian to me about a person being gooped out and turned into an egg.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

alf_pogs posted:

I know the concept of the Alien queen is bad-rear end and it's a great supermonster and everything, but I loved the consistency of the Dan O'Bannon original design.

Alien captures person - turns person into egg - egg hatches facehugger - facehugger hugs face - alien spawns - alien captures person - etc etc.

The introduction of the queen sort of makes the process more complicated by breaking the cycle, and there's something horribly utilitarian to me about a person being gooped out and turned into an egg.

That actually is one of the coolest scenes that was cut from the original Alien. I know why they cut it since it horribly breaks up the pacing, but seeing Brett being turned into an egg was weird.

Also, I still find Parker's death scene hilarious to this day, because you can obviously tell that it is a melon of some sort, and it looks absolutely nothing like Parker.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There has to be a way to reedit that sequence so it flows better in the film. Maybe right after she starts running away from the self destruct room? It being in the middle really fucks with the tension. But it's such a perfectly creepy scene.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It'd work better if she stumbles across it sometime before arming the self destruct, perhaps either when she's on her way to the shuttle and the Alien is investigating Jones' cat carrier, or after that when she's on her way to arm the self destruct.

I do like the scene as well, and thankfully the egg-morphing concept has been retconned back into existence. I'm curious if it'll make an appearance in the new Isolation game, and if it'll get a shout-out in the W-Y Report book.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

It'd work better if she stumbles across it sometime before arming the self destruct, perhaps either when she's on her way to the shuttle and the Alien is investigating Jones' cat carrier, or after that when she's on her way to arm the self destruct.

Yeah, this would make the most sense. It would be the perfect reason for Ripley to even arm the self-destruct sequence. I mean, the Alien killing the whole crew is cause to book it off the ship out but why risk having to arm the ship instead of getting the gently caress out of dodge. If Ripley stumbled upon them and realized that the Alien is trying to replicate it's kind with the crew then yeah, gently caress the ship and nuke it so no one else would stumble upon the infested derelict Nostromo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

blackguy32 posted:

That actually is one of the coolest scenes that was cut from the original Alien. I know why they cut it since it horribly breaks up the pacing, but seeing Brett being turned into an egg was weird.

Oh crazy I'd never seen that before. Creepy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

Yeah, this would make the most sense. It would be the perfect reason for Ripley to even arm the self-destruct sequence. I mean, the Alien killing the whole crew is cause to book it off the ship out but why risk having to arm the ship instead of getting the gently caress out of dodge. If Ripley stumbled upon them and realized that the Alien is trying to replicate it's kind with the crew then yeah, gently caress the ship and nuke it so no one else would stumble upon the infested derelict Nostromo.
Well she was planning to blow the ship anyway, she was just hoping to get Jones and her supplies into the shuttle before she armed the self destruct. Instead she stumbled across the Alien prodding Jones carrier (and between her and the shuttle) so she went to arm the self destruct because she didn't have much choice.

But yeah, moving the cocoon scene to earlier fixes the pacing problem for the most part, and it still works from a character point of view for the reasons you mentioned.

Now if only they'd fixed the really awkward jump-cut between Ripley fiddling with Ash's android head and then Ian Holm's head through the table when he "wakes up". Like it seriously looks lovely, there had to have been a better way to edit that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Well she was planning to blow the ship anyway, she was just hoping to get Jones and her supplies into the shuttle before she armed the self destruct. Instead she stumbled across the Alien prodding Jones carrier (and between her and the shuttle) so she went to arm the self destruct because she didn't have much choice.

You're remembering wrong, the self-destruct is already armed when she finds the Alien blocking her, she goes back to disarm it and fails. She decides to blow the ship up just to destroy the Alien but it's one hell of an added risk where I'd just say gently caress it, I'm gonna bounce.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Xenomrph posted:

Now if only they'd fixed the really awkward jump-cut between Ripley fiddling with Ash's android head and then Ian Holm's head through the table when he "wakes up". Like it seriously looks lovely, there had to have been a better way to edit that.

Is there a youtube displaying this fine piece of cinematic excellence?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Is there a youtube displaying this fine piece of cinematic excellence?

right here, lovely quality though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGiGWwDyxyk

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

You're remembering wrong, the self-destruct is already armed when she finds the Alien blocking her, she goes back to disarm it and fails. She decides to blow the ship up just to destroy the Alien but it's one hell of an added risk where I'd just say gently caress it, I'm gonna bounce.

poo poo, you're right. And I just rewatched the bluray like a month ago, too. :doh:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Decent? :psyduck: How could anyone think what we got was even decent? The Assembly cut is definitely better, but only makes that film bearable. The film is raw rear end and it's soundtrack is forgettable.

Alien 3 has a lot of problems, but if you think the soundtrack is one of them then :psyduck: Elliot Goldenthal's score is one of the best original scores of the nineties.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wild T posted:

Alien 3 has a lot of problems, but if you think the soundtrack is one of them then :psyduck: Elliot Goldenthal's score is one of the best original scores of the nineties.

Any chance to post this is worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_4nAJsUYe0

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Did the aliens in 3 "move differently" because it came out of a dog/ox?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. That's what started the whole :supaburn: ALIENS TOY MOVEMENT OF 1992 :supaburn:. Which is where Kenner pretty much made everything into an Alien, despite logically not being possible. (Scorpion Alien.)

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Did the aliens in 3 "move differently" because it came out of a dog/ox?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

And on that day, no fucks were given at Pinewood Studios. Jesus Christ :lol:

How did Ripley know the alien inside her was a queen?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 15, 2014

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How did Ripley know the alien inside her was a queen?

It had ridges on its head. The normal aliens have smooth heads.

Deadlock
Oct 10, 2005
I loved Alien 3 and will defend it to the death. I loved the the look and style of the film, and good acting all around. Also as many have said the score is amazing. It has a really long and storied history of its development cycle ( The use of a wooden planet was kinda neat), its just such a shame that the studio kept interfering with Fincher's work. Has Fincher spoken about Alien 3 in interviews at all? He understandably didn't enjoy the filming experience.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Deadlock posted:

I loved Alien 3 and will defend it to the death. I loved the the look and style of the film, and good acting all around. Also as many have said the score is amazing. It has a really long and storied history of its development cycle ( The use of a wooden planet was kinda neat), its just such a shame that the studio kept interfering with Fincher's work. Has Fincher spoken about Alien 3 in interviews at all? He understandably didn't enjoy the filming experience.
Someone posted a recent quote from him, apparently he's still bitter about it. I'll try and find the quote when I get home.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
gently caress Aliens, Alien and Alien 3 are the poo poo. Prometheus is a good film.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Kokoro Wish posted:

gently caress Aliens, Alien and Alien 3 are the poo poo. Prometheus is a good film.

One thing in this string is right.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wild T posted:

It's lovely mood music 90% of the time, the rest are chorales that would fit into a Batman film, it's overly boisterous too. It also doesn't have any leitmotifs that catch your ear and make you instantly go, "Alien 3, definitely" like the con legno cello of Alien (or it's melody) or the military march snares of Aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Kokoro Wish posted:

I liked Prometheus, but I saw it with my grandmother who's a science teacher, and something about that made me acutely aware of the number of stupid things the scientists in that movie did. Stuff I'd normally let slide made me laugh.

I've actually enjoyed all the Alien and Predator films, even both the AvPs and Resurrection.

• Locked thread