Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Pochoclo posted:

That gameplay segment looked... so... loving... SCRIPTED. It's script here script there, scripted out the rear end. Every single alien feels scripted.
"It's all driven by a sophisticated artificial intelligence" MY rear end.

Also, it's not an RPG at all. I expected to be able to command a team of marines as they hacked doors and put down defenses and sentry guns and poo poo, not this generic FPS.

I expected that too, but I guess I shouldn't have really trusted Gearbox to do a good job. I think its weird for them to have ironsights in a game like this. At some point, you have to ask, what is the point? Aliens are close range and if they are that close you won't have to aim anyways and if they are far away, you will probably have more than enough time to ironsight. Here is to hoping that they at least make the Aliens somewhat quick.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Forbes does an article on Aliens: Colonial Marines

Lance Henriksen is returning to reprise his role as Bishop. The question is, Aliens Bishop or Alien 3 Bishop? :tinfoil:

Also apparently another unnamed guest star is returning from Aliens to reprise a role? There's not many options besides Ripley but they might find an option like an audio recording from Hicks or something. Who knows?

So apparently the devs have kept in contact with Ridley Scott about this, so there might be some inspirations and links between this game and Prometheus.

Anyways, I'm still eagerly following this game out of zealous fandom, but I'm still hoping this turns out to be good, both in game and in authenticity by the release.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Revitalized posted:

Forbes does an article on Aliens: Colonial Marines

Lance Henriksen is returning to reprise his role as Bishop. The question is, Aliens Bishop or Alien 3 Bishop? :tinfoil:

Also apparently another unnamed guest star is returning from Aliens to reprise a role? There's not many options besides Ripley but they might find an option like an audio recording from Hicks or something. Who knows?

So apparently the devs have kept in contact with Ridley Scott about this, so there might be some inspirations and links between this game and Prometheus.

Anyways, I'm still eagerly following this game out of zealous fandom, but I'm still hoping this turns out to be good, both in game and in authenticity by the release.

Holy poo poo, the "A-killed-offscreen-marine-from-Aliens-turns-out-to-have-survived-and-has-gone-all-crazy-survivalist-when-you-find-him" rumor from years ago might actually be true!

And Henriksen has already been revealed to be playing the part of another Bishop-style android attatched to the rescue party; apparently he wakes you up from cryosleep in the beginning of the game and says upfront that he's "not going to do the knife-trick for you."

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ChickenHeart posted:

Holy poo poo, the "A-killed-offscreen-marine-from-Aliens-turns-out-to-have-survived-and-has-gone-all-crazy-survivalist-when-you-find-him" rumor from years ago might actually be true!

:aaa:

Oh. My. loving. God. That totally slipped my mind. Please be true please be true please be true.

e: he is the ultimate badass

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Revitalized posted:

:aaa:

Oh. My. loving. God. That totally slipped my mind. Please be true please be true please be true.

e: he is the ultimate badass

It looks like an article from the newest Edge magazine might have answered this question for us: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/opm0008.jpg/

It's Wierzbowski, the marine who's only notable line in the film was screaming; also a different actor is playing his voice. Still no word if his appearance is going to be as significant as "holy crap he's alive" or "hey here's some audiologs on the Sulaco for ya," though.

The Edge article also features some nice new screens, and a couple more tidbits:

-There will be no HUD with the exception of displays from weapon ammo-counters and the Smartgun headset.

-In addition to unlocking perks and character customization options, alien players will also unlock new classes as they play.

-"Alien 3 will make a lot more sense."

-Ridley Scott handed the development team a lot of background "secrets" for them to use. Lore poo poo to build the game around?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
For years I thought Hicks was yelling "Where's Bowski?!!" because he heard somebody screaming. Think it was the DVD subs that set me straight.

What quelled Michael Biehn's rise as an action star? He was in three timeless action films ( by James Cameron) and then Navy Seals, and seems last I saw him was in Planet Terror and he was crying about hot sauce or chili or some stupid thing.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Copper Vein posted:

For years I thought Hicks was yelling "Where's Bowski?!!" because he heard somebody screaming. Think it was the DVD subs that set me straight.

What quelled Michael Biehn's rise as an action star? He was in three timeless action films ( by James Cameron) and then Navy Seals, and seems last I saw him was in Planet Terror and he was crying about hot sauce or chili or some stupid thing.

No idea but I was surprised as hell when I saw him in a Chinese action cop film "Dragon Squad".

ChickenHeart posted:

It's Wierzbowski, the marine who's only notable line in the film was screaming; also a different actor is playing his voice. Still no word if his appearance is going to be as significant as "holy crap he's alive" or "hey here's some audiologs on the Sulaco for ya," though.

Not as cool but I'll take what I can get.

LiquidFusion
Feb 11, 2004
Ezra < Me < Jake
It should be mentioned that the collector's edition picture you have is largely placeholder stuff. The figure though is real enough, but still not 100% confirmed.

It should also be mentioned that this game is technically in no way related to Prometheus, as Prometheus is officially not Aliens canon (according to Fox O GOD PLEASE DONT KILL ME).

LiquidFusion fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 18, 2012

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Kotaku recently had a big chat with Randy Pitchford about how the game links Aliens and Alien 3, with huge spoilers on why the Sulaco is at Acheron at the start of the game, and why the escape craft on the ship was launched at the start of the third film: http://kotaku.com/5907653/the-authorized-story-of-the-next-aliens-video-game-will-change-the-way-we-see-aliens-and-alien-3

To make it short: Weyland got to the Sulaco first, carts it over to LV-426 and spends the next 17 weeks unethically-science-ing it up on both the ship and a refurbished colony. Then poo poo goes down by the time you arrive. As for why Ripley got ejected, it seems like Randy was hinting that a 3rd party (UPP maybe) found the Sulaco before even WY did and hosed some poo poo up like good anti-corporate terrorists.

Randy also made a remark on the game's difficulty and nastiness of alien-on-man combat, namely that they mention Dark Souls as an inspiration.

Also, have some hot new concept art:

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 5, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Kazvall posted:

Only my favorite arcade game of all times.

Little late but Best Capcom arcade beat 'em up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugUTz3jkfgM&feature=related

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Looking forward to the game, but from the videos:
1) Already mentioned, but they're very bullet spongy.
2) You can melee aliens off of you like left 4 dead zombies? Really?
3) Shooting aliens full of horribly deadly acid off the top of people.
4) New types of aliens. gently caress, here we go again.

Honestly I like that they didn't go for the super-hyper-fast aliens. That was a terrible idea in the first AvP and is completely different from how they were presented on-screen in Alien/Aliens. The things moved slowly and purposefully with short bursts of speed to grab/kill at close range. They ambushed people by either hiding and waiting for something to walk into them or simply coming from unexpected locations and directions like through a wall/floor panel. When spotted and shot they just kinda exploded into itty bitty pieces full of acid spray which was itself incredibly deadly if you happened to be nearby.

The problem is that they aren't that deadly up close which rather defeats the point of ambushing things. The alien should die quickly to gunfire but be practically instant death if it manages to close the distance. I could definitely see that kind of game working if the marines need to move through areas the aliens are waiting for them in or the aliens get respawned and the defending marines do not.

Literally the best thing about this game is that the predator won't be in it which pretty much removes the element that ruined literally every AvP game's multiplayer.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 5, 2012

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Looks bad, man.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Warbadger posted:

Looking forward to the game, but from the videos:
1) Already mentioned, but they're very bullet spongy.
2) You can melee aliens off of you like left 4 dead zombies? Really?
3) Shooting aliens full of horribly deadly acid off the top of people.
4) New types of aliens. gently caress, here we go again.

Honestly I like that they didn't go for the super-hyper-fast aliens. That was a terrible idea in the first AvP and is completely different from how they were presented on-screen in Alien/Aliens. The things moved slowly and purposefully with short bursts of speed to grab/kill at close range. They ambushed people by either hiding and waiting for something to walk into them or simply coming from unexpected locations and directions like through a wall/floor panel. When spotted and shot they just kinda exploded into itty bitty pieces full of acid spray which was itself incredibly deadly if you happened to be nearby.

The problem is that they aren't that deadly up close which rather defeats the point of ambushing things. The alien should die quickly to gunfire but be practically instant death if it manages to close the distance. I could definitely see that kind of game working if the marines need to move through areas the aliens are waiting for them in or the aliens get respawned and the defending marines do not.

Literally the best thing about this game is that the predator won't be in it which pretty much removes the element that ruined literally every AvP game's multiplayer.

I don't think there is anything wrong with new aliens, I mean people seem to accept the praetorian even though it wasn't really in the films. AvP only had the base alien, and it wasn't any better for it.

I think the whole ambush stuff is a crapshoot. After a while, people know where the hiding spots are and will check systematically. A good example of this is Chaos Theory's versus mode.

What Aliens really need is mobility. It is their one saving grace. They were super slow in AvP 2 and if they didn't have their pounce attack, they would have just been cannon fodder. It's a little better in the new AvP but once they close in, it takes them way too long to kill a marine.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
I wonder how they are going to explain a bunch of aliens on the Sulaco after the events of Aliens given there weren't really any human hosts to impregnate?

Possible answer: A search party of a couple thousand marines went in before your character did and somehow all got disabled and impregnated by the eggs the queen left behind...the thousands of eggs she somehow had time to lay between stowing aboard the dropship and battling Ripley. Oh yeah without her egg-sac laying thingie.

Oh gently caress it here's aliens to fight don't try to think too much about it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Constantine XI posted:

I wonder how they are going to explain a bunch of aliens on the Sulaco after the events of Aliens given there weren't really any human hosts to impregnate?

Possible answer: A search party of a couple thousand marines went in before your character did and somehow all got disabled and impregnated by the eggs the queen left behind...the thousands of eggs she somehow had time to lay between stowing aboard the dropship and battling Ripley. Oh yeah without her egg-sac laying thingie.

Oh gently caress it here's aliens to fight don't try to think too much about it.

It was explained in the Kotaku article to an extent: There is a seventeen-week window of time between the events of Aliens and Colonial Marines where Weyland found the Sulaco, carted it back to LV-426, and began storing aliens on it (since the colony was heavily damaged by the atmosphere processor going nuclear). By the time you get there, an entire party of research personnel/corporate mercenaries/flannel-wearing businessmen have had the time and resources to gently caress up everything.

And in other news, Colonial Marines is also going to be making an appearance at the London Comic con with another playable demo and possibly some interviews this coming May.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

This is rumor control; here are the facts:

This game is going to be amazing.

Thank you, that is all.

Also don't forget about my Let's Play thread for all your Aliens/AvP gaming needs. I've even got something special planned for this weekend! :toot:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

This is rumor control; here are the facts:

This game is going to be amazing.

Thank you, that is all.

Also don't forget about my Let's Play thread for all your Aliens/AvP gaming needs. I've even got something special planned for this weekend! :toot:

So far its looking a bit underwhelming, and considering the developer's track record, it doesn't instill me with too much confidence. Also, things didn't work out too well for the last guy who said that.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

blackguy32 posted:

So far its looking a bit underwhelming, and considering the developer's track record, it doesn't instill me with too much confidence. Also, things didn't work out too well for the last guy who said that.

Gearbox? At the very least it'll be decent. DNF is an exception because they were dealt some lovely cards to work with, and they just kinda finished it for release.

Xenomrph posted:

I've even got something special planned for this weekend! :toot:

Oh boy oh boy

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Little late but Best Capcom arcade beat 'em up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugUTz3jkfgM&feature=related

I have some dreamcast remake of this, but without the huge robo guy. I have actually been looking to purchase this arcade cabinet, cause it's that awesome to me.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There was a moment in the Star Wars prequel where a bunch of padawans are training with these floating orb things, the same floaty orb thing that Luke trained with Obi Wan in the first movie on the Millennium Falcon. What was great about that Obi Wan scene was that it looks like he was improvising a way to train Luke with what he found throughout the ship, which is kinda contradicted when you see that that orby thingy was just something jedis carried around with them, or something. It was one of those moments where Lucas physically replicated stuff from the first three, without really understanding what was behind what made Star Wars so memorable.

I think that is the road this game is going down. The entire premise is based on kinda ruining the ending of Aliens, saying that the reactor explosion didn't really end the nightmare. This kinda sucks, because what made Aliens so great is that it took the horror movie ending where the hero just barely escapes and turned it into the hero just barely BEING AWESOMELY VICTORIOUS. And all this just so some locations from the movie could be in the game.

That isn't a huge problem though, as ruining the ending of the last movie is something that sequels regularly do, and if they build a good game out of these parts it could still be worth playing. Less forgivable is what they are doing with the exosuit. What made that part of the ending of Aliens awesome is, like the orb thingy, it was improvised, and she knew how to use it because of an old blue collar job she had. Some faceless marines who have never used it before in their lives suddenly picking it up? Much less awesome. (At least its obvious that they are just using them because they are there. If yellow exosuits were suddenly standard marine gear my nerd rage would be even worse.)

Nitpicking aside, I'm still looking forward to this game. The developers do seem to understand that what makes Aliens so freaky isn't that they are so fast or so strong, but that they could show up anywhere at any time. There's a few moments in the gameplay trailer where Aliens pop out of the floorboards and vents and stuff in very cool ways, and it should be fun to play a Left 4 Dead style game against those kind of enemies. I'm also impressed that they are going totally UIless, which I haven't seen a game like this try in a while. And the basic story, Marines cleaning up someone else's bullshit, is a continuation of the theme of the entire franchise of the little guy (though sadly it looks like this time the little guy is all dudes) being left to die by the evil rich dudes. I mean, in general it looks like there isn't going to be anything story-wise in this game that isn't directly taken from Alien and Aliens, but that's true of most sci-fi games.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 6, 2012

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I don't think there is anything wrong with new aliens, I mean people seem to accept the praetorian even though it wasn't really in the films. AvP only had the base alien, and it wasn't any better for it.

I think the whole ambush stuff is a crapshoot. After a while, people know where the hiding spots are and will check systematically. A good example of this is Chaos Theory's versus mode.

What Aliens really need is mobility. It is their one saving grace. They were super slow in AvP 2 and if they didn't have their pounce attack, they would have just been cannon fodder. It's a little better in the new AvP but once they close in, it takes them way too long to kill a marine.

The Praetorian is actually what I played almost exclusively in AvP2 and I never really had any trouble ambushing people with it or closing short distances, even without a pounce or the runner's speed. They may have known where the different spots were (the AvP2 maps didn't have a whole lot of good spots), but if you mixed it up they wouldn't know WHICH of those spots/corners right past a door that I'd be about to pop out of and murder them all from, especially when the rest of my team is also out there. They pop into a room and see the runner pop out a door or run up a wall and they'll miss the big rear end queen thingy 5 feet behind them, waiting next to the doorframe to gib everybody in the hallway. Literally the biggest thing I wanted for the praetorian was for dudes shooting me at close range to eat acid and die because the sniper rifle meant they could kill you faster than your alien could claw them death at point blank ranges and every single alien franchise game has treated the acid blood as little more than lemon juice. They don't need mobility, they need to kill the crap out of things when they reach them and some good complicated maps with a lot of avenues of approach/hiding spots. Speed was just a crutch to make up for the lack of cover in the first game's relatively simply maps and pretty much ruins any attempt to make the game feel/play like the movies (unless you REALLY like Alien 3).

Hell, in AvP 2 the better vanilla alien and runner players were the ones who set up ambushes, NOT the idiots pouncing around the map getting sniped mid-air by any half decent sniper. The speed was useful in competitive games (see: against teams of good players using voice comms) mostly as a means to prevent yourself from getting kited and sniped by a dude doing backpedaling sniper/grenade shots, not for closing distance.

I also don't necessarily have a huge issue with all "new" aliens. The Praetorian kinda made sense as a juvenile queen and even LOOKED like an alien. Whereas the predalien looked like a dumb shaved gorilla with dreadlocks and the runner was a hot pink speed gimmick.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 6, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Devil Tesla posted:

I think that is the road this game is going down. The entire premise is based on kinda ruining the ending of Aliens, saying that the reactor explosion didn't really end the nightmare. This kinda sucks, because what made Aliens so great is that it took the horror movie ending where the hero just barely escapes and turned it into the hero just barely BEING AWESOMELY VICTORIOUS. And all this just so some locations from the movie could be in the game.

Yeah, but the whole thing behind the Aliens is that you'll never kill them all no matter what. And also they are worth a lot of spacebux for vague reasons despite that every effort to contain them has failed catastrophically.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah, but the whole thing behind the Aliens is that you'll never kill them all no matter what. And also they are worth a lot of spacebux for vague reasons despite that every effort to contain them has failed catastrophically.

Plus, anyone looking for an emotional conclusion after Aliens is probably already in for a huge disappointment when they pick up Alien 3 anyway.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

I imagine the future Goldman Sachs is making mega spacebux from credit default swaps on dumbass companies like Weyland-Yutani :allears:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

That isn't a huge problem though, as ruining the ending of the last movie is something that sequels regularly do, and if they build a good game out of these parts it could still be worth playing. Less forgivable is what they are doing with the exosuit. What made that part of the ending of Aliens awesome is, like the orb thingy, it was improvised, and she knew how to use it because of an old blue collar job she had. Some faceless marines who have never used it before in their lives suddenly picking it up? Much less awesome. (At least its obvious that they are just using them because they are there. If yellow exosuits were suddenly standard marine gear my nerd rage would be even worse.)

Nitpicking aside, I'm still looking forward to this game. The developers do seem to understand that what makes Aliens so freaky isn't that they are so fast or so strong, but that they could show up anywhere at any time. There's a few moments in the gameplay trailer where Aliens pop out of the floorboards and vents and stuff in very cool ways, and it should be fun to play a Left 4 Dead style game against those kind of enemies. I'm also impressed that they are going totally UIless, which I haven't seen a game like this try in a while. And the basic story, Marines cleaning up someone else's bullshit, is a continuation of the theme of the entire franchise of the little guy (though sadly it looks like this time the little guy is all dudes) being left to die by the evil rich dudes. I mean, in general it looks like there isn't going to be anything story-wise in this game that isn't directly taken from Alien and Aliens, but that's true of most sci-fi games.

I am pretty sure the loaders were standard marine equipment. You see one of the pilots using it to load the dropship in Aliens.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

blackguy32 posted:

I am pretty sure the loaders were standard marine equipment. You see one of the pilots using it to load the dropship in Aliens.

Yeah I was going to say this. It never bothered me seeing marines use power loaders because Ripley isn't the only one to use a power loader in the movie.

I'm not surprised that a portion of marines are at least qualified to control a power loader.

Space cockroaches! Except what they do is a little worse than ruining your food storage.

e: Hmm I see AvP (2010) is on sale at Gamersgate for <$4... Does anyone still play bughunt mode? Or whatever that marines vs aliens mode was.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 6, 2012

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Revitalized posted:

Yeah I was going to say this. It never bothered me seeing marines use power loaders because Ripley isn't the only one to use a power loader in the movie.

I'm not surprised that a portion of marines are at least qualified to control a power loader.
Not to mention in that demo footage, the Marine trying to fight Aliens with the loader gets his rear end kicked.

fookolt posted:

I imagine the future Goldman Sachs is making mega spacebux from credit default swaps on dumbass companies like Weyland-Yutani :allears:
In the director's cut of 'Alien Resurrection', you learn that W-Y got bought out by Wal-Mart at some point.

No I'm not kidding.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Xenomrph posted:

In the director's cut of 'Alien Resurrection', you learn that W-Y got bought out by Wal-Mart at some point.

No I'm not kidding.

Haha, holy poo poo. I always loved the whole Alien/Predator universe, but I just never really paid attention to the lore.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

fookolt posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. I always loved the whole Alien/Predator universe, but I just never really paid attention to the lore.
Fun fact: the powerloader in 'Aliens' has a bunch of Caterpillar Construction logos on it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I don't have high hopes for this game. I'll probably play it anyway 'cause it's Aliens and I played the last terrible AVP game, but all the footage looks completely underwhelming. From Konami arcade game-esque alien variants like the Bull to the fact that the aliens appear completely non-threatening. I don't know, I feel like the entire point of Aliens is that you're always hosed and outgunned, but modern shooter standards don't really allow for this as a primary gameplay dynamic anymore.

AVP2000 is one of the scariest games ever in my opinion, but this just looks like Doom 3 with Aliens.

KatMan911
Jan 21, 2002
CHEAP FUCKASS. I HAVE NO COMPASSION. IGNORE ME. I AM WORTHLESS.

Neo Rasa posted:

AvP1 man, that had a multiplayer mode called Skirmish. It was the first "horde mode" and it owned. Some human and Predator pals against an endless horde of Aliens. With that game's speed it was amazing.
Oh dude, that brought back memories of playing this on LAN! It owned indeed. Or how about Evacuation? Where you and your friends have to move towards the pick-up site and hold out until rescue comes, while massive waves of aliens are coming after you? I was so disappointed when AvP2 didn't have these.

And not a single game made since manages to hold a candle to AvP1's single player Marine campaign as far as the sheer terror goes. I still have the game, and I'm still afraid to play through it again.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

KatMan911 posted:

Oh dude, that brought back memories of playing this on LAN! It owned indeed. Or how about Evacuation? Where you and your friends have to move towards the pick-up site and hold out until rescue comes, while massive waves of aliens are coming after you? I was so disappointed when AvP2 didn't have these.

And not a single game made since manages to hold a candle to AvP1's single player Marine campaign as far as the sheer terror goes. I still have the game, and I'm still afraid to play through it again.

I like the marine campaign, but gently caress the facehuggers. I can never tell when they are around, but maybe i would benefit from turning the music off.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.
I watched a single player footage.
So it's going to be a heavily scripted Unreal 3-powered cover shooter with squadmates you have to follow, scripted bullet sponge enemies and weak guns? Made by Gearbox of Brothers in arms: hell's highway, Borderlands and Duke Nukem Forever fame?

Color me surprised if this ends up being even on par with the mediocrity of Rebellions latest AVP outing. More like Homefront with aliens.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Because Aliens represent all that is cold and evil in the world and corporations profit off of that misery :buddy:

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Copper Vein posted:

Beihn considers the offscreen killing of his character in Alien 3 to be the biggest disappointment of his career.

Personally I'd love to see an Aliens sequel which completely disregards everything after the 2nd film, and picks up sometimes many years later with the older Beihn/Weaver.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

oswald ownenstein posted:

Personally I'd love to see an Aliens sequel which completely disregards everything after the 2nd film, and picks up sometimes many years later with the older Beihn/Weaver.

This literally happens in the Dark Horse comics that were made before Alien 3. They're not bad... for licensed comics from the 80s. They were written by one of the modern Battlestar writers.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

oswald ownenstein posted:

Beihn considers the offscreen killing of his character in Alien 3 to be the biggest disappointment of his career.

I can't agree more than I already do with this statement. As far as I'm concerned the Alien movies ended with Aliens, any other mentions of Alien 3 or Alien: Ressurection must surely be the product of a delirious mind.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Hakkesshu posted:

This literally happens in the Dark Horse comics that were made before Alien 3. They're not bad... for licensed comics from the 80s. They were written by one of the modern Battlestar writers.

It was called Earth War/Female War, I believe, and it was based around the premise of folks finding the Alien homeworld and causing an apocalyptic infestation on Earth. Highlights included really inconsistent illustrations, the first appearance of "Praetorians," and Hulk Hogan fighting aliens in a militarized Powerloader. I found it kinda forgettable.

As for the complaints against the gameplay videos we've seen so far, I do have to agree that what I've seen of the game has left me fairly underwhelmed, especially with how robotic the gunplay from both yourself and the teammates felt. However, Gearbox has gone on record about acknowledging the funky gameplay, stating that a lot of what you saw was an early build adjusted for PAX showcasing, and that a large portion of the development time between PAX and the eventual release will be spent fine-tuning the gameplay to be as "cinematic" and "aliens-y" as possible:

Randy Pitchford posted:

"The actual game is pretty lethal. The skill test is anticipating or reacting. If you are good at anticipating and reacting you will be killing lots of xenos and you will be effective at it. You have the tools to do it. But when they get you, they frickin' get you. You'll die. You'll die a lot. I don't know if we're as far as Dark Souls. We're still tuning it, but it's going to be pretty brutal."

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time Gearbox has promised us stuff that they couldn't deliver on release. *cough-BORDERLANDS-PC-cough*

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 6, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sylphosaurus posted:

I can't agree more than I already do with this statement. As far as I'm concerned the Alien movies ended with Aliens, any other mentions of Alien 3 or Alien: Ressurection must surely be the product of a delirious mind.

The director's cut of Alien 3 is actually an enjoyable movie once people get over them killing Newt and Hicks off. I actually thought it was pretty ballsy myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

The director's cut of Alien 3 is actually an enjoyable movie once people get over them killing Newt and Hicks off. I actually thought it was pretty ballsy myself.

Yeah the DC of Alien 3 definitely fixed some of the plot hole problems, but still it's an unforgivable movie.

• Locked thread