Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Times posted:

I'd like to see a game do that but with just ONE monster. ONE really hard-to-kill/stop monster that you don't know where will strike next. Be it an alien monster or a horror movie slasher stalker.

That's what made Resident Evil 3 so goddamn scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

blackguy32 posted:

Friday the 13th for the nes??

Even that janky old game had lots of stupid smaller 'filler' enemies.

I dunno - I think I want to see someone approach a 'being stalked by a single intelligent and hard to stop monster' game the way that shadow of the collossus's minimalism approached 'fight one single epic boss at time.'

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

blackguy32 posted:

Friday the 13th for the nes??

Contrary to popular belief, was not just a repetitive mini-game where your camp personnel got slaughtered piecemeal by the unstoppable Jason. There were zombies all up in that loving game.

Yodzilla posted:

That's what made Resident Evil 3 so goddamn scary.

Tense, perhaps. Which sadly drained out of the game the second you realized how easy the Nemesis' encounters were to beat. I think Outbreak and File 2 did some stuff along this line that had the advantage of more experience and better execution, though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Both Outbreak games had a Nemesis-like enemy that chased you throughout the stage.

File #1 had "Leech Man" in the hospital stage. He was a corpse that was controlled by a swarm of apparently hyper-intelligent leeches. His whole gimmick was that he could basically teleport from room to room by disassembling the swarm and then scuttling through an air duct to another room to attack you. Since most of the rooms in the hospital had air ducts, it meant Leech Man could pop up at any time. I seem to recall he had the standard zombie attacks and a Bandersnatch-esque stretchy arm whip attack too. The worst part about him was that he really couldn't be killed until the very end of the stage, only repelled for certain amounts of time. He's actually pretty scary at first because he's a looming, omnipresent enemy that just won't die so you'll probably wind up unloading tons of ammo into him only to realize he's not going down.

File #2 had a slightly worse one: the Axe Murderer, who appeared in that really awful forest stage that lead into a broken down, abandoned cliffside hospital. He was a more straight forward enemy, just a really pissed off mutant guy ala Clock Tower who appeared at random times with a fire axe. I seem to recall you could gun him down, but he operated on Jason rules so he'd eventually come back.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Dan Didio posted:

Tense, perhaps. Which sadly drained out of the game the second you realized how easy the Nemesis' encounters were to beat.

Eventually yeah but for that first playthrough it kind of blew my mind that running out of a room wasn't going to save me. What do you mean he can follow me through doorways this isn't how Resident Evil works!!

:psyduck:

nictigre03
Oct 31, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Both Outbreak games had a Nemesis-like enemy that chased you throughout the stage.

File #1 had "Leech Man" in the hospital stage. He was a corpse that was controlled by a swarm of apparently hyper-intelligent leeches. His whole gimmick was that he could basically teleport from room to room by disassembling the swarm and then scuttling through an air duct to another room to attack you. Since most of the rooms in the hospital had air ducts, it meant Leech Man could pop up at any time. I seem to recall he had the standard zombie attacks and a Bandersnatch-esque stretchy arm whip attack too. The worst part about him was that he really couldn't be killed until the very end of the stage, only repelled for certain amounts of time. He's actually pretty scary at first because he's a looming, omnipresent enemy that just won't die so you'll probably wind up unloading tons of ammo into him only to realize he's not going down.

File #2 had a slightly worse one: the Axe Murderer, who appeared in that really awful forest stage that lead into a broken down, abandoned cliffside hospital. He was a more straight forward enemy, just a really pissed off mutant guy ala Clock Tower who appeared at random times with a fire axe. I seem to recall you could gun him down, but he operated on Jason rules so he'd eventually come back.

I totally forgot about "Leech Man", he was great.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I found that single player trailer to be kind of funny. "Aliens will use stealth and bounce off walls" Then in the video it shows a Alien walking quite slow up to your face.

But I guess it can't be any worse than some of the other Marine campaigns out there.

Trollocalypse
May 22, 2012

"Quit no-scoping, Hitler!!" - Winston Churchill. Probably.
This game only needs two elements to be moderately enjoyable.

Firstly, make the Aliens uber glass-guns. If they get shot they die; if they get close you die, or you scatter (and then die). I know this seems like a simple concept but the game designers need to have the balls to carry it through without worrying about whinging kiddies shouting for an all-purpose killing machine. While this will force the Alien players to lurk in the shadows more, awarding patient and coordinated attacks with a slaughterfest, it'll also force marine players to huddle together for survival, a la Left 4 Dead (a game which got spot on (for the most part) how to punish loners). The worst thing I can imagine this game being is Aliens charging about in broad daylight taking massive damage and just attritionally grinding down the marines.

Secondly, provide an in-game comms system that works on proximity. The farther you move away from teammates the harder it is to hear them. That way, when you're alone, you're REALLY alone. I know people can circumvent it but it'd be a nice touch.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Trollocalypse posted:

This game only needs two elements to be moderately enjoyable.

Firstly, make the Aliens uber glass-guns. If they get shot they die; if they get close you die, or you scatter (and then die). I know this seems like a simple concept but the game designers need to have the balls to carry it through without worrying about whinging kiddies shouting for an all-purpose killing machine. While this will force the Alien players to lurk in the shadows more, awarding patient and coordinated attacks with a slaughterfest, it'll also force marine players to huddle together for survival, a la Left 4 Dead (a game which got spot on (for the most part) how to punish loners). The worst thing I can imagine this game being is Aliens charging about in broad daylight taking massive damage and just attritionally grinding down the marines.

Secondly, provide an in-game comms system that works on proximity. The farther you move away from teammates the harder it is to hear them. That way, when you're alone, you're REALLY alone. I know people can circumvent it but it'd be a nice touch.

From what I have seen you probably aren't going to get the first considering we have seen videos of Marines simply pushing Aliens away with their gun much like Left 4 Dead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

From what I have seen you probably aren't going to get the first considering we have seen videos of Marines simply pushing Aliens away with their gun much like Left 4 Dead.

To use the L4D analogy, Aliens need to be more like the witch and less like any random zombie. You should think you have plenty of room to take them down and then BAM theyre in your face and your dead before you know it.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Trollocalypse posted:

Don't Colonial Marines have radios and mics? Nice touch if this were a game of civilians sure, but they're mostly fully equipped soldiers, I think they'd have communications.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Revitalized posted:

Don't Colonial Marines have radios and mics? Nice touch if this were a game of civilians sure, but they're mostly fully equipped soldiers, I think they'd have communications.
Yeah, but in the movie their comms went in the toilet as they entered the hive (when they initially got massacred). Whether that was a byproduct of being in the bowels of the atmosphere processor, of whether it was due to the slimy hive gunk all over the walls, the movie doesn't exactly make clear.

In the old Leading Edge 'Aliens' pencil-and-paper RPG, the Alien hive gunk can gently caress with comms.

Speaking of Leading Edge, anyone jonesing for some filler Colonial Marine action should try the Aliens board game Flash edition. Think the way the Marines handled themselves in the movie was bullshit? Think you could do better, and keep more of them alive? See if you're right! :haw:

Also the Colonial Marines Technical Manual is finally, finally getting reprinted later this month after being out-of-print for like 15 years. It is absolutely worth buying.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 23, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, but in the movie their comms went in the toilet as they entered the hive (when they initially got massacred). Whether that was a byproduct of being in the bowels of the atmosphere processor, of whether it was due to the slimy hive gunk all over the walls, the movie doesn't exactly make clear.

The movie is really weird about it. They could transmit video pretty much perfectly but the audio signal was fading in and out.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Xenomrph posted:

Also the Colonial Marines Technical Manual is finally, finally getting reprinted later this month after being out-of-print for like 15 years. It is absolutely worth buying.

OOOOOOOOH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MOOOOORNIIIIIIIIING

OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAAAAAAAAY

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

blackguy32 posted:

The movie is really weird about it. They could transmit video pretty much perfectly but the audio signal was fading in and out.

I dunno, I seem to remember the video washing out here and there.
And I think the static was heavier than when it showed them entering Operations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mister Macys posted:

I dunno, I seem to remember the video washing out here and there.
And I think the static was heavier than when it showed them entering Operations.

I think you're right. They couldn't entirely tell what was going on in the video feeds. They were very unclear.
Part of what made those scenes so tense.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

This is the fastest it's ever been between me seeing something on Amazon and buying it.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.gearboxity.com/content/view/880/33/

Official announcement of the Collector's Edition.

quote:

Recently, we announced that Aliens: Colonial Marines has a worldwide release date of February 12, 2013. Today, we're unveiling details on the Aliens: Colonial Marines Collector's Edition (US $99.99) as well as the bonuses fans will receive by pre-ordering the game from a participating retailer, including four playable characters from the original 1986 movie for competitive multiplayer.
North America

GameStop Exclusive Pre-Order Content in North America*

Four Playable Movie Characters
Players will be able to fight for their squad’s survival and confront hordes of enemies as the original ALIENS film icons Private Hudson, Corporal Hicks, Private Drake and Sergeant Apone.
Additional Marines Character Customization Options
Ripley’s Flamethrower

Collector’s Edition*

High Quality Resin Powerloader Figurine in Limited Edition Xeno Hive Box
Players will be able to fight for their squad’s survival and confront hordes of enemies as the original ALIENS film icons Private Hudson, Corporal Hicks, Private Drake and Sergeant Apone.
Ripley’s Flamethrower
Exclusive Multiplayer Weapons
Sonic Electronic Ball Breakers
Phase Plasma Rifle
Exclusive Game Level
USCM Academy Firing Range
USCM Dossier
Mission Brief
USS Sephora Schematic
Recruitment Card
LV-426 Recon Photo
USCM Iron-on Badges
USCM Graduation Certificate

International

Limited Edition for Pre-Order*

Ripley’s Flamethrower

Collector’s Edition*

High Quality Resin Powerloader Figurine in Limited Edition Xeno Hive Box
Ripley’s Flamethrower
Exclusive Multiplayer Weapons
Sonic Electronic Ball Breakers
Phase Plasma Rifle
Exclusive Game Level
USCM Academy Firing Range
USCM Dossier
Mission Brief
USS Sephora Schematic
Recruitment Card
LV-426 Recon Photo
USCM Iron-on Badges
USCM Graduation Certificate

*While supplies last. Participating retailers only. Internet connection required to access downloadable bonus content.

YOU CAN PLAY AS HUDSON. calling dibs. (for multiplayer anyways)

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 31, 2012

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
So uh...what do the "Sonic Electronic Ball Breakers" do, exactly? Aside from breaking balls, that is.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Those motherfuckers, giving Drake to gamestop? Now I have to buy this poo poo from gamestop, gently caress.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

No sharp stick? No sale. :colbert:

E:

ChickenHeart posted:

So uh...what do the "Sonic Electronic Ball Breakers" do, exactly? Aside from breaking balls, that is.

They sure made someone excited in the drop ship.

Scoobi posted:

Those motherfuckers, giving Drake to gamestop? Now I have to buy this poo poo from gamestop, gently caress.

No poo poo :( Also where is Frost :colbert:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 31, 2012

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Definitely buying the collector's edition.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Man, why does every game that involves this IP always focus on the inferior sequels? I would love a survival horror type game in the vein of Alien.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Hm or do you get all the benefits if you buy the collector's edition? If so I will just get that poo poo from amazon. I hate all this pre-order non sense. This could be the worst game in history and I still want to be drake :qq:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:siren: :siren:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=2601979&postcount=28

Gearbox Guy posted:

Drake and Apone will be using the voices of the original actors. Nothing else to share about returning characters at this time.

No confirmation on Hudson or Hicks though? :(

edit: egad, what's with all these awful Duke Nukem emoticons on the forums haha.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

notZaar posted:

Man, why does every game that involves this IP always focus on the inferior sequels? I would love a survival horror type game in the vein of Alien.
'Aliens' isn't inferior to 'Alien', it's just different.

Also there are plenty of survival-horror elements in this (and in the AvP games), did you see how many Marines were getting murdered by Aliens? They kinda have to give the player guns otherwise it would be a short game - we saw what happened in 'Alien' when none of the characters were armed: everyone got killed.

poo poo, 'Aliens' showed us that even if everyone has a gun, everyone gets killed anyway. :v:

Revitalized posted:

:siren: :siren:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=2601979&postcount=28

No confirmation on Hudson or Hicks though? :(

edit: egad, what's with all these awful Duke Nukem emoticons on the forums haha.
I wonder if that means they're just using soundbites from the movie, or if they got the actors to record new dialogue.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

No sharp stick? No sale. :colbert:

They need a Harsh Language DLC pack.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
A survival horror game vs an alien would be cool, but it'd be over in about 2 seconds.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

notZaar posted:

Enemy Zero? Granted that's a Japanese take on Alien itself.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
North America is NOT getting a Collector's Edition for PC. They will still get it for PS3 and 360 though.

International will get the CE for PC though. Ugh.

Pre-order regular edition from gamestop will get you the returning actors pack, but it will also be available as DLC down the line.

(from that same Gearbox thread)

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Revitalized posted:

Ripley’s Flamethrower

No Vasquez? :colbert:

Nice to see they finally got wise and put Ripley's flamethrower in an Aliens game, with duct tape and everything.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 31, 2012

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Wazzit posted:

No Vasquez? :colbert:

Female space marines? In my Gearbox Game? Ha. HAHA! AAHAHA, gently caress these people. Jesus. Vasquez was a pretty big deal.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Jefferoo posted:

Female space marines? In my Gearbox Game? Ha. HAHA! AAHAHA, gently caress these people. Jesus. Vasquez was a pretty big deal.

There was another Collector's Edition ad that shows a female space marine.

It was possible. :colbert: Probably dlc... I'd buy it. :negative:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Why do the space marines look like cartoons?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
What do you mean I can't play as an alien queen?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Revitalized posted:

North America is NOT getting a Collector's Edition for PC. They will still get it for PS3 and 360 though.

International will get the CE for PC though. Ugh.

Pre-order regular edition from gamestop will get you the returning actors pack, but it will also be available as DLC down the line.

(from that same Gearbox thread)

:byodood: Forcing me to pre order and get it on a console instead of PC :byodood:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone going to Comic-Con can get in a tie-in comic book! http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/09/comic-con-get-a-free-aliens-colonial-marines-comic

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm not going to Comic Con, but someone NEEDS to get me that comic. :stare:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not going to Comic Con, but someone NEEDS to get me that comic. :stare:

Heh I already got a man on the inside whose gonna get it to me :c00lbert:

At least I hope he remembers to pick up an extra :(

Look at that?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Revitalized posted:

Why the gently caress is the regular Alien the size of a Queen?

Scoobi posted:

A survival horror game vs an alien would be cool, but it'd be over in about 2 seconds.

It would be awesome if they made it very Amnesia-esque and basically retold the story from Alien, you and one of your crew gets face hugged and then your ship has an Alien running around screwing you over. Your whole squad is gone and you have to operate the ship by yourself to survive and get the gently caress off on the lifeboat. No shooting required, just a lot of tense moments running from whatever lurks in the darkness.

Xenomrph posted:

'Aliens' isn't inferior to 'Alien', it's just different.

Yeah, different by being inferior.

• Locked thread