Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
EDIT: Game is pretty awful and every piece of preview media was an abject lie.

Cornbread not included.

CINEMATIC TRAILER

Aliens: Colonial Marines is Gearbox's upcoming first-person shooter based on the long-running film franchise. Presented as a direct sequel to the events in the James Cameron film "Aliens," Colonial Marines boasts a narrative-driven campaign mode where you and up to three other players (who can drop in at any time) take on the role of the marine rescue party sent to recover the derelict U.S.S. Sulaco and investigate the incident surrounding the Hadley's Hope colony. Of course, things go awry when it turns out everything's infested with giant parasitic bugs:

Alongside the cooperative campaign mode, Gearbox also revealed details on the competitive multiplayer aspect of Colonial Marines, where teams of gun-toting marines and wall-climbing xenomorphs can duke it out with each other in team deathmatch and objective-based modes featuring a leveling and award system similar to that found in games like Call of Duty. Completing objectives and scoring kills can net players access to powerful weaponry like Smartguns, or nasty bull-headed xenos that can charge through groups of marines. In addition, players will continue to unlock new abilities and customization options that will carry over in both the campaign and competitive modes, allowing you to experience new stuff regardless of how you decide to play.

Aliens: Colonial Marines is set to hit stores in Fall 2012 for the Xbox 360, PS3, PC, and the upcoming Wii U. A ton of information from a recent press release was revealed today, including numerous videos showing off new singleplayer footage and multiplayer shenanigans, not to mention interviews with Gearbox developers on game mechanics and the creative team on shaping the story with help from Ridley Scott and people who worked on the original 1986 film:

More recent screens and concept art

Big list-o-videos showing off both singleplayer and multiplayer from the press release (list shamelessly-stolen from AVP Galaxy):
http://www.gamespot.com/aliens-colonial-marines-2012/videos/aliens-colonial-marines-wants-to-scare-the-piss-out-of-you-6369892
http://youtu.be/2XgLs9Fr5XY
http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/aliens-colonial-marines/aliens-colonial-marines-videos-gameplay-preview-actu-485270.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/marine-multiplayer-aliens-colonial/728763
http://www.gamesradar.com/aliens-colonial-marines-info-blowout-new-screens-concept-art-interviews-and-details/
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/randy-pitchford-aliens-colonial/728755
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/randy-pitchford-aliens-colonial/728753
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/brian-burleson-aliens-colonial/728757
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j64Rckx2M9g#ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYyg5dtac3c#ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j64Rckx2M9g#ws
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/videos/aliens-colonial-marines-interview-mikey-newman-MwRREblsUr7q5

Old Junk:
First Teaser Trailer
Mother Teaser Trailer
11 minutes of Randy Pitchford and singleplayer footage from E3 2011

Leaked picture showing off the collector's edition bonuses:

Lastly, PAX 2012 will host a Gearbox booth and panel including Colonial Marines, where attendees can try out multiplayer deathmatch against the developers and check out footage from the campaign. Hopefully we can get more details and impressions as April rolls on.

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
MG42'S IIIIIINNN SPAAAAAACE

That movie scared the poo poo out of me as a kid (why did my parents let me watch it as a kid?) but this looks sweet. It'll probably scare the poo poo out of me too though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This game looks badass. I've been looking forward to this forever. This seems like a much better idea then the AvP games, because of the three playable races, the Marines were the coolest. I just wanted an FPS focused on them.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I REALLY want this game to be great, but Pitchford's enthusiasm hosed me over once before what with all the Borderlands hype. What a lovely game that was (on PC anyway).

Not going to let myself get too hyped up for this one because the only really GOOD game Gearbox has ever made is the Half-Life expansion Opposing Force.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

nosophoros posted:

I REALLY want this game to be great, but Pitchford's enthusiasm hosed me over once before what with all the Borderlands hype. What a lovely game that was (on PC anyway).

Not going to let myself get too hyped up for this one because the only really GOOD game Gearbox has ever made is the Half-Life expansion Opposing Force.

I had a similar thought just moments ago. Randy Pitchford has basically lied to my face (at a preview showing of Duke Nukem Forever), so I have no faith in his spiel now.

I can feel myself getting hyped in spite of myself, though.

Also, I'm going to throw Gearbox a bone and say that the original Brothers in Arms was good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Also, I'm going to throw Gearbox a bone and say that the original Brothers in Arms was good.

If nothing else, this game was awesome. I'm a bit bias though; I know a guy who got a job at Gearbox and this was the first game he worked on, doing level design. They gave him the job just based on Unreal Tournament maps that he created in his free time.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Also, lets not forget Half-Life Opposing Force. Which (In my opinion) managed to be much more fun than regular Half-Life.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Venmoch posted:

Also, lets not forget Half-Life Opposing Force. Which (In my opinion) managed to be much more fun than regular Half-Life.

The multiplayer for HLOF was awesome. So many memories as a kid just zipping around with the disgusting organic grappling hook maw thing :kiddo:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This doesn't look as good as the earlier shots where they spoke of trying to duplicate the lighting and look if Aliens. They were so close...

I hope it's still true that every variant from the movies (besides the Ressurrection queen/newborn) will appear along with different models of androids.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Venmoch posted:

HL:OF was definitely better than HL, it's just not remembered as much because it wasn't quite as revolutionary (HL broke a lot of new ground). Some day we'll get to see what happened to Shephard I'm sure...

Also this game looks awesome and I'm really excited for it

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Multiplayer footage posted today

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/marine-multiplayer-aliens-colonial/728764

Seems like the drawbacks from Rebellion's AvP are creeping into this game as well. I was expecting something with more polish and atmosphere. Shouldn't there be situational music, dynamic environmental effects or ambient marine yelling/cursing? I thought one or two aliens were supposed to be pretty easy to kill, but their strengths were in numbers and the ability to attack from unexpected places like floors or ceilings. Like a cross between emergence holes in Gears and the swarms in Left for Dead. In this game, they're more like heavily-armored attack dogs.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Did anybody do a "Get away from her you bitch" photoshop aimed at Pitchford when his cut-rate studio was first announced to be attached to this franchise?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dick Jones posted:

Seems like the drawbacks from Rebellion's AvP are creeping into this game as well. I was expecting something with more polish and atmosphere. Shouldn't there be situational music, dynamic environmental effects or ambient marine yelling/cursing? I thought one or two aliens were supposed to be pretty easy to kill, but their strengths were in numbers and the ability to attack from unexpected places like floors or ceilings. Like a cross between emergence holes in Gears and the swarms in Left for Dead. In this game, they're more like heavily-armored attack dogs.

This looks pretty bad, especially if this is a team deathmatch mode. Marines are slow and Aliens seem to have way too much health. The game has a perfect set-up for a Nazi Zombie style horde mode, just give us a nice chunk of maps with objectives to complete and a whole lot of Aliens to kill. That would be decent.

Or gently caress it, just give me Borderlands: Aliens. Come on Gearbox.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I have no confidence that Gearbox will pull off a decent competitive multiplayer mode in the game, although it's somewhat based off the fact that the one part of Duke Nukem Forever they had complete control over (the multiplayer) was completely terrible.

Still, I think the singleplayer will be a good time as long as they don't make the aliens bullet sponges that pop out one or two at a time.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
:fap:

I can't loving wait for this. Ever since this game resurfaced in Game Informer this game jumped on to the top of my radar. It was the first booth I headed straight to at PAX Prime last year. Got a rad pulse rifle t-shirt :c00lbert: Peace through Superior Firepower.

comedy option: they should have a dedicated button for 'harsh language'

e2: although the bullet sponge seems to be most apparent when an alien has pounced a player.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 5, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dick Jones posted:

This didn't look all that great to be honest. Im really not liking the cinematic alien kills. Just do them like the first and second AvP and be done with it. No need for a animation to play out. Im hoping that the Aliens just sucked from that gameplay vid but you would think that a Marine would get ripped to shreds if a Alien got close.

Revitalized posted:

e2: although the bullet sponge seems to be most apparent when an alien has pounced a player.

It looked more like a animation to me. A uninterrupable animation

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Dick Jones posted:

I agree, though this quote from the Gamespy interview might shed more light into the dull-looking multiplayer:

quote:

"I personally can't imagine Colonial Marines making it out this year -- as Pitchford points out, Fall is already looking pretty crowded, and Gearbox itself has given Borderlands 2 a hard date of September 18th. And considering Colonial Marines is in a "pre-pre-alpha state" today, I'd imagine Colonial Marines might more realistically come out in March of 2013, well clear of the holiday competition from the Halos and Call of Duties. And if it gets just a few more months of polish out of the deal, so be it."

So apparently a good chunk of the sound design is still under construction; a lot of effects like gun sounds feel like placeholders to me (especially since they literally use the authentic movie sounds in their teasers), or in the case of marine dialogue and music, just plain not present yet. Might explain why all the gameplay videos have this weird "floating man-turret" feel to them, as well.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

It looked more like a animation to me. A uninterrupable animation

My feeling is that if they can't figure out that uninterruptable animations aren't a great idea in a game like this then how can they be expected to get anything else right?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

I agree, though this quote from the Gamespy interview might shed more light into the dull-looking multiplayer:

So apparently a good chunk of the sound design is still under construction; a lot of effects like gun sounds feel like placeholders to me (especially since they literally use the authentic movie sounds in their teasers), or in the case of marine dialogue and music, just plain not present yet. Might explain why all the gameplay videos have this weird "floating man-turret" feel to them, as well.

How long has this game been in development?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Did anyone play Aliens: Colonial Marines for the DS? It was released last year, to little fanfare. If this can be half as good as that, it'll be great.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

OldMemes posted:

Did anyone play Aliens: Colonial Marines for the DS? It was released last year, to little fanfare. If this can be half as good as that, it'll be great.

I didn't play it, but reviews were pretty lukewarm at best. I'd hope this game is better than it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OldMemes posted:

I wanted to get it, but I heard that it was pretty terrible from the goons around here.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

IMO that footage resembled nothing more than a bog standard co-op shooter and any elements from Aliens were just window dressing.

If the xenos are coming from every angle as they constantly were in the footage than the marines should have already lost having no perimeter left to defend. If adhering to the example set in the film and having marine players work to prevent any and all breach in their defensive perimeter sounded like to rigid or boring of a gametype to the devs, then why pick this franchise to run with in the first place?

Maybe they do plan to have the players defend, then bolt, and then defend a new location in the final but what was shown in the clips was a big, constant clusterfuck and that really should just be the endgame for the alien players/AI. I mean, I didn't see hand-welder one.

I saw aliens not bursting under fire from 10mm explosive-tipped ammunition and indeed pushing through into the player. And how many of the Sulaco's marines were mortally wounded from acid blood because an alien was shot too close to them? Yet this footage and about 15% clips of sustained fire on a xeno who had a marine pinned right underneath it. Not even the motion tracker functioned like it did in the film, being more distinct and with IFF.

Obviously none of this stuff is absolutely necessary for a good game, but why take a run at the most meticulously modeled part of a great franchise if you're going to omit so much of what made it unique and just make Gearbox Shooter #7?

EDIT: Just checked out some of the earlier single player videos and saw CoD hit indicators. Bog Standard.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 5, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Copper Vein posted:

IMO that footage resembled nothing more than a bog standard co-op shooter and any elements from Aliens were just window dressing.

If the xenos are coming from every angle as they constantly were in the footage than the marines should have already lost having no perimeter left to defend. If adhering to the example set in the film and having marine players work to prevent any and all breach in their defensive perimeter sounded like to rigid or boring of a gametype to the devs, then why pick this franchise to run with in the first place?

Maybe they do plan to have the players defend, then bolt, and then defend a new location in the final but what was shown in the clips was a big, constant clusterfuck and that really should just be the endgame for the alien players/AI. I mean, I didn't see hand-welder one.

I saw aliens not bursting under fire from 10mm explosive-tipped ammunition and indeed pushing through into the player. And how many of the Sulaco's marines were mortally wounded from acid blood because an alien was shot too close to them? Yet this footage and about 15% clips of sustained fire on a xeno who had a marine pinned right underneath it. Not even the motion tracker functioned like it did in the film, being more distinct and with IFF.

Obviously none of this stuff is absolutely necessary for a good game, but why take a run at the most meticulously modeled part of a great franchise if you're going to omit so much of what made it unique and just make Gearbox Shooter #7?

EDIT: Just checked out some of the earlier single player videos and saw CoD hit indicators. Bog Standard.

Is that coop or versus? I thought it was versus with players actually playing as the Aliens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Copper Vein posted:

Did anybody do a "Get away from her you bitch" photoshop aimed at Pitchford when his cut-rate studio was first announced to be attached to this franchise?

Makes me feel really old, Gearbox was considered amazing when this was first announced. I've been to a conference involving games pretty regularly now. Aliens: Colonial Marines has been mentioned as in development since 2008! Did they spend all that time polishing Duke Nukem Forever? Oh wait Brothers in Arms: Double Time for the Wii. What happened to these guys? This Aliens game went from really interesting in concept to just...safe.

Rebellion's Jaguar and PC AvP (and even Monolith's very fun AvP2) were very specific types of games. Man remember playing as a synthetic? Lose an arm and you can still fight and have to hold the gun in your mouth to reload with the other hand, amazingly detailed. I'd love to see games like those again where the Alien runs faster than Doom Guy and only a fully armored Predator can survive being attacked for more than like one and a half seconds and the levels have a nice amount of open space instead of just corridors and the game in general gets the sort of brutal body horror feel the movies had but after being suckered into getting Rebellion's AvP I realize now it will never happen. :(

AvP1 man, that had a multiplayer mode called Skirmish. It was the first "horde mode" and it owned. Some human and Predator pals against an endless horde of Aliens. With that game's speed it was amazing.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 5, 2012

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I just can't get excited for this.
It's going to be heavily scripted with aliens that probably won't climb walls unless they get triggered to do so.

That's one thing I hated about AVP2, the aliens were pretty much stuck running around on the ground unless scripted sequences dictated otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OldMemes posted:

If you mean the Wayforward one, I didn't think much of it. It just felt really... dull and repetitive. It was like Metroid, but without the power-gaining or ability-unlocking of Metroid and taking place entirely on a bland and unmemorable ship, aside from a few linear action levels. You just wandered around a place until you found a key, then went to a new place, and combat was really lackluster.

It really didn't help that you had like 35 marines but they were all interchangable and you could only get new marines if you let an old one get killed off, leaving me to be stuck with the boring default cast unless I got a guy killed.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That multiplayer video is fairly depressing. Every time an Alien would surprise the player and he would just shoot it with the pistol like it ain't no thang made me think about how dangerous even a single one of these things is supposed to be. In two movies they were just fighting one Alien. Honestly just have them move around a bit more. If you've ever played an AvP game online then you probably know how frustrating an agile Alien player can be. Then again he was probably on Easy or something, who knows.

I actually really enjoyed the most recent AvP game for the record, both single and multiplayer. Just after a while people stopped playing it :(

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That multiplayer video is fairly depressing. Every time an Alien would surprise the player and he would just shoot it with the pistol like it ain't no thang made me think about how dangerous even a single one of these things is supposed to be. In two movies they were just fighting one Alien. Honestly just have them move around a bit more. If you've ever played an AvP game online then you probably know how frustrating an agile Alien player can be. Then again he was probably on Easy or something, who knows.

I actually really enjoyed the most recent AvP game for the record, both single and multiplayer. Just after a while people stopped playing it :(

In Aliens, they were fighting thousands of them.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah and they survived by coordinating and having heavy weaponry beyond a pistol, like smartguns and flamethrowers. And they all died anyway. What I'm saying is that one lone Alien running around shouldn't feel like fighting one lone zombie in Left 4 Dead. Speaking in situations where a player is alone without cover from his 3 buddies, 1 on 1 an Alien seems like it should have the upper hand. However, 4 armed people should wreck any single Alien's poo poo.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 5, 2012

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The best part about AvP classic online was the mode where only one player starts as an alien, and each kill they got made that player an alien, too. Being the first one was always great because you could just hang out on the ceiling until some poor gently caress wandered by you and bam. Voice chat made moments like these even better.

It seems like this game won't be like that.

MyNameIsAlex
Dec 26, 2011

By jungle law
the ghost who walks
calls forth the strength of ten tigers

Giggily posted:

The best part about AvP classic online was the mode where only one player starts as an alien, and each kill they got made that player an alien, too. Being the first one was always great because you could just hang out on the ceiling until some poor gently caress wandered by you and bam. Voice chat made moments like these even better.

It seems like this game won't be like that.

AVP Classic will be missed. I am just hoping Gearbox can make the SP good on this one. Even if the MP is good the odds are it will die pretty fast, at least on consoles anyway.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I liked the marine campaign for the new AvP, and the multiplayer was fun before everyone realized that the Predator was overpowered, but they seriously made a mistake in having the executions be really long animations. They got boring after seeing them for the 10th time.

But really, this game only has to balance two teams. I haven't played much, but in a lot of those scenarios, the marines should be having their poo poo pushed in. I'm not saying to make it as unbalanced as AvP classic where a Alien ran super fast and could kill a marine in one charged tail attack, but at least make them vicious in close range they kind of were in AvP2

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Gewehr 43 posted:

That movie scared the poo poo out of me as a kid (why did my parents let me watch it as a kid?)

My dad hated me playing violent video games like Contra and Mike Tyson's Punch Out but at the same time loved sitting down and watching Aliens, old Arnold movies, and The Three Stooges with me. Figure that one out.

blackguy32 posted:

I liked the marine campaign for the new AvP, and the multiplayer was fun before everyone realized that the Predator was overpowered, but they seriously made a mistake in having the executions be really long animations. They got boring after seeing them for the 10th time.

Yeah the Marine campaign was good (save for the loving horrible ending), Alien was half interesting/half frustrating, and most of the Predator campaign was pure poo poo. Yes let's give the Predator all of these neat powers but turn him into a complete pussy who can't use them half of the time, disable them constantly, and force him to loving box with the xenomorphs like some sort of lovely sci-fi Fight Night clone. Good job.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

blackguy32 posted:

But really, this game only has to balance two teams. I haven't played much, but in a lot of those scenarios, the marines should be having their poo poo pushed in. I'm not saying to make it as unbalanced as AvP classic where a Alien ran super fast and could kill a marine in one charged tail attack, but at least make them vicious in close range they kind of were in AvP2

They should make the Xenos high speed killing machines, but be complete glass cannons at the same time. I think AvP classic would've been perfect if the Aliens went down as quick in multiplayer as they did singleplayer, but would still destroy any marine they caught.

Of course, their being fragile depends entirely on whether they can wall crawl or not. I can't even imagine an Aliens game without that.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Probably less than 200 actually. But the underlying point of the whole series including novels and comics is that it only takes one xenomorph, one egg, to change a planet and end a civilization.

Then the first thing you see in that multiplayer video is the player pistol whip an alien who was already at his throat.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Someone should totally get an AVP2000 server going.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Giggily posted:

They should make the Xenos high speed killing machines, but be complete glass cannons at the same time. I think AvP classic would've been perfect if the Aliens went down as quick in multiplayer as they did singleplayer, but would still destroy any marine they caught.

Of course, their being fragile depends entirely on whether they can wall crawl or not. I can't even imagine an Aliens game without that.

We just don't need another AvP 2 where the marines have no reason to pick any other class other than Sniper. Also, Aliens need something to prevent marines from simply camping in a corner somewhere. That was one of the best strategies as Marine in the new AvP

Deakul posted:

Someone should totally get an AVP2000 server going.

I would be down for some skirmish mode. I find the multiplayer to be too unbalanced to be fun at this point.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

NINbuntu 64 posted:

It was around 100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

blackguy32 posted:

We just don't need another AvP 2 where the marines have no reason to pick any other class other than Sniper. Also, Aliens need something to prevent marines from simply camping in a corner somewhere. That was one of the best strategies as Marine in the new AvP

Well, yeah, actual skirmish type games in AvP have always been pretty terrible, which is why almost all 8 hours of my recorded Steam time with AvP classic were in the gametype I mentioned earlier. The predators were also super lame to play with in any of the AvP games in my opinion, and the maps in AvP 2 were just so bright and weird that they were pretty lame as well.

Really I just liked to pretend that I was playing some kind of Aliens game, and it owned.

Also AvP Classic is on steam for five bucks and I've hosted servers for it tons of times. We really should get some games of it running, because it can be fun with the right mindset.

• Locked thread