Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I dunno if Obsidian is up to the task of making a lovely alien game, doubtful sega would bring them back to the table :smuggo:

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PriorMarcus posted:

Even before the game was announced early leaks clearly stated it was a game where you fought predominately human enemies while a single Alien, mostly scripted, stalked you.

Why is anyone surprised?
The latest developer vids have outright explicitly said the Alien is not scripted.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
The saddest thing is apart from the first two PC AvP games the only good Alien game I can think of is this top down twin stick shooter type game this guy made in Multimedia Fusion (I believe he went on to make Game Boy Color and Advance games with some company not Alien related games though). By twin stick shooter I mean Hotline Miami (was also graphic like Hotline Miami - the aliens and humans all broke up into pieces and the alien pieces could kill you from acid spray). It was really cool because when the aliens were on the screen but not in your character's line of sight they were motion tracker blips and became aliens once your character could "see" them.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
There was an arcade light gun shooter in the 90s that took a lot of my money but yeah

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

The saddest thing is apart from the first two PC AvP games the only good Alien game I can think of is this top down twin stick shooter type game this guy made in Multimedia Fusion (I believe he went on to make Game Boy Color and Advance games with some company not Alien related games though). By twin stick shooter I mean Hotline Miami (was also graphic like Hotline Miami - the aliens and humans all broke up into pieces and the alien pieces could kill you from acid spray). It was really cool because when the aliens were on the screen but not in your character's line of sight they were motion tracker blips and became aliens once your character could "see" them.
That's "Aliens: Thanatos Encounter".

The recent Aliens: Infestation on the Nintendo DS is pretty fun. It's not perfect, but the animations are good and it's a fun metroidvania clone.

AvP Evolution on Android and iOS is fun too, and it's got a surprising amount of polish, depth, and replay value for an iOS game.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
AvP2010 is okay. None of its campaigns are as good as their AvP2 counterparts but on its own it is a decent first person shooter/meleer/light stealth game.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Xenomrph posted:

That's "Aliens: Thanatos Encounter".

What I was talking about wasn't that game (it was PC so it had much better graphics and controlled with mouse/keyboard and played like Hotline Miami) but Thanatos Encounter was the game he was eventually hired to make so thank you because I never would've remembered.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DrProsek posted:

AvP2010 is okay. None of its campaigns are as good as their AvP2 counterparts but on its own it is a decent first person shooter/meleer/light stealth game.

The best thing Colonial Marines did was make AvP2010 looks significantly better in hind sight.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Xenomrph posted:

The latest developer vids have outright explicitly said the Alien is not scripted.

Alright, the Alien itself might not be scripted, but the game is designed to force encounters. "Uh oh, got to use that airlock but it will attract the alien - what? Nah, don't bother trying to find an alternative path, we want you to use the airlock."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PriorMarcus posted:

Alright, the Alien itself might not be scripted, but the game is designed to force encounters. "Uh oh, got to use that airlock but it will attract the alien - what? Nah, don't bother trying to find an alternative path, we want you to use the airlock."
We don't know that the game is going to be strictly linear like that.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
You are to the Aliens franchise that Republicans are to politics. So much rear end covering double-talk.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I guess if you still aren't cynical about the Aliens franchise translating into a decent videogame after reading and posting throughout this thread, I guess I kind of envy your wide-eyed innocence.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

I guess if you still aren't cynical about the Aliens franchise translating into a decent videogame after reading and posting throughout this thread, I guess I kind of envy your wide-eyed innocence.

Xenomrph is a super fan. More power to you I guess that you've enjoyed yourself

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alf_pogs posted:

I've tried. But it's one of those things that no matter what, will always excite me, and make me happy. It takes me a long time to come to terms with bullshit with this franchise (except for Colonial Marines) so it's not like I'm worried. It'll hit me eventually, or it'll be good. Sad, maybe. But whatever. I'm always there for anything Alien film/game.

MyronGognitti
Jun 15, 2008

by zen death robot
I don't know if it's been mentioned (and sorry if it has), but the problem with the Alien franchise at this point is that the xenomorph design just isn't scary thanks to overexposure in (sometimes lovely) media. It went from the thing that even the trailers hid away to being parodied in kids cartoons or featured explicitly on posters(AVP). This game might really scare your kids, but it's more or less fanservice to us at this point.

It's hard to even think about a time that this thing once existed and scared people to death based on just how it looked, and it wasn't just some tired cannon fodder in a video game or a comic book.

MyronGognitti fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 8, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I still think you can make it scary if you put it in the right context. Shooting it isn't scary. But imagine a film taking place inside their hive? Once again, back to Alien Labyrinth, which is one of the creepier Alien stories out there. There's so much weirdness you can tap into without ruining the creatures. And honestly, the mystery is gone, so why not show what really goes on there?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blacktoll posted:

You are to the Aliens franchise that Republicans are to politics. So much rear end covering double-talk.
I guess I'm just willing to give it the benefit of the doubt when what we've seen looks really cool, and unlike with Colonial Marines, apparently people have actually played some of the game and said "no really, it is as cool as it looks".

An Alien game where you can't kill the Alien is a pretty refreshingly novel concept, the last time that happened was on the Commodore64, decades ago.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Xenomrph posted:

I guess I'm just willing to give it the benefit of the doubt when what we've seen looks really cool, and unlike with Colonial Marines, apparently people have actually played some of the game and said "no really, it is as cool as it looks".

An Alien game where you can't kill the Alien is a pretty refreshingly novel concept, the last time that happened was on the Commodore64, decades ago.
Are you pre-ordering?

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

How would you make the alien scary in a video game? I think the only game I've played that came close to replicating that kind of horror was Dead Space, which was more a case of jump scares and music than anything else. The creatures in that lost the scare factor less than an hour into the game, and I'm not sure how anything could actually keep the creatures scary?

The xenomorph in Alien: Isolation doesn't seem that scary either, especially with how it seems to aimlessly wander around looking for people. I thought one of the scariest things about the Alien movies was how the xenomorphs always knew where people were despite not having eyes. I don't think any characters in the movies would have survived encounters by hiding behind something.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Rip off Amnesia. The longer you look at the alien the more sanity you lose til you finally scream and alert it to your position

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Palpek posted:

Are you pre-ordering?
If they do a cool special edition, yeah. Between Alien: Isolation and the new Wolfenstein it might even get me to buy a next-gen system one of these months.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Alien: Goatsim would be a nice stopgap.

I think the scariest Alien games I have played were ones where you had other stuff to do, and usually died super fast if an alien saw you. The Spectrum game was great for that.

There was a game on either the Amstrad or Amiga I think, where you took control of the marines from Aliens and moved them around a ship, all in first person view with little monitor screens for each of the marines.

Sometimes you'd open a door and an alien would walk past - you might have had a short window of opportunity to try and kill it, but usually almost straight after seeing an alien, the screen for that marine would cut to static, which was great for horror-type jump scares.

I think the thing those games had going for them was they were relatively short, and the alien encounters were (or at least seemed to be) completely random - it was never predictable so you never felt safe moving to any room or opening any door. The Alien(s) games these days all seem to want to be the movies so badly that they sacrifice good gameplay in favor of the storytelling. Amnesia and its precursor did so well because they had a decent mechanic that worked well in context of the games - and ripping it off would be a good idea for sure.

An Alien 3 game built like a 3D tower defense would have been interesting, and I think that works within the setting of the movie. A Colonial Marines game where the gung-ho FPS game was turned into something else after discovering that the USCMs were absolutely vulnerable (and therefore totally hosed) would have been so much better than taking an Aliens story and slapping it on a generic FPS.

I think having the xenomorph in Isolation wandering around is something that could go horribly wrong - who needs Alien Fudd lightly creeping through the hallways going "Sshhh! I'm hunting Wipleys!" The scariest moments (to me) are in disturbing it - coming across the alien finishing someone off, spotting it uncoiling in the shadows, hearing something in the vents - and when it gets you it is fast and savage. Some of the videos for Isolation look like they have at least the potential to capture that kind of feeling, so I'm not writing it off yet.

There's one section in particular where the player looks through a window and is possibly spotted. She retreats and backs into a corner, then notices the xeno has moved, turns around and sees death hurrying toward her down the corridor she thought was a safe route out of there. She turns to run, but it's too late. If that is representative of the experience of playing the game, then gently caress me it's going to be awesome. If instead it is exactly what happens in the game, then it's going to get very old, very quickly.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Xenomrph posted:

Stop doing this to yourself, dude.

Xenomrph posted:

But seriously Colonial Marines looks like a total blast, and based on literally every gameplay review on the internet including one by a goon on this very page, it is.

If this game is considered "loving terrible" by goons who haven't played it (and "good fun" by those who did),

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I'll give it a rent, That LOTR game comes out the same day and batman a week after. I am hoping Alien will at least be interesting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Same here. I rented Colonial Marines, so it being garbage was kinda funny because I didn't pay for it. I won't pay for this either. If it's really, really good, I'll buy it when it's 15 bucks.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I personally had a bit of fun with Colonial Marines. Even though it was a garbage game worth $5 at best.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Dan Didio posted:

It also hasn't had unanimous praise from people who've played it, either. I recall a RPS feature being quite critical, and pointing out that some journos playing the game actually gave up and walked out because it was so bad. There appears to be some really big problems with the alien AI according to people who've previewed it as well and yeah, there's already frustration amongst them regarding the inclusion of droids and humans to shoot. I'm not sure where Xenomrph is getting the impression that everyone who's played it thinks it's good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dan Didio posted:

No, never. :colbert:

And Colonial Marines *did* look good at the time I made that post, it was just that the "gameplay" we were being shown was, you know, a total fabrication. :suicide:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yes, the situation we have here is totally different.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
What is it with Creative Assembly and bad AI?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

We don't know that the game is going to be strictly linear like that.

We basically do, all gameplay we've seen so far has been scripted so that encounters happen in certain rooms under certain circumstances with animations specifically for those encounters. I REALLY want the game to just dump you in the space station and play almost like a Metroid title with a completely dynamic enemy, but let's be realistic.

Xenomrph posted:

And Colonial Marines *did* look good at the time I made that post, it was just that the "gameplay" we were being shown was, you know, a total fabrication. :suicide:

Didn't you make that post when the game was leaked early and was being lambasted left and right by everyone playing it who stated it was a horrendous piece of poo poo?

Some gameplay via IGN employees playing in the dark and getting spooked.:ghost: Not digging the Alien's chickenlegs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That gameplay looks completely great, and unlike the Colonial Marines gameplay, it's not a total fabrication. They completely nailed the 1970s tactile "lived-in" 'Alien' aesthetics and environments, and it looks gorgeous and incredibly detailed. If nothing else, the game is going to be great to explore.

Like I get why people are wary after the Colonial Marines shitstorm, but this is a completely different game in a completely different genre with an entirely different goal (scare the player silly and make them feel largely helpless, rather than "Aliens 2: Now With More Aliens"), and every bit of actual live gameplay we've seen recently is looking like it's going to deliver on that goal.

Short of them pulling a Duke Nukem Forever and straight-up scrapping the game and starting over, I'm not particularly worried about the game not being worthwhile given what we've seen so far.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Xenomrph posted:

That gameplay looks completely great, and unlike the Colonial Marines gameplay, it's not a total fabrication. They completely nailed the 1970s tactile "lived-in" 'Alien' aesthetics and environments, and it looks gorgeous and incredibly detailed. If nothing else, the game is going to be great to explore.

Like I get why people are wary after the Colonial Marines shitstorm, but this is a completely different game in a completely different genre with an entirely different goal (scare the player silly and make them feel largely helpless, rather than "Aliens 2: Now With More Aliens"), and every bit of actual live gameplay we've seen recently is looking like it's going to deliver on that goal.

Short of them pulling a Duke Nukem Forever and straight-up scrapping the game and starting over, I'm not particularly worried about the game not being worthwhile given what we've seen so far.
Actually we're seeing the same sequence over and over again and all those people play it in a suspiciously identical way (even entering the exact same lockers etc.) which shows just how linear the level design is + a lot of scripted scenes. We haven't seen the combat sections that are going to be a large part of the game at all yet. They don't really need to pull a DNF here - the game can end up with those few interesting but really linear Alien sections and the rest that you can't wait to be done with.

Of course this title can end up amazing but you're really pulling off the Colonial Marines trailer syndrom all over again here.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 26, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Did you watch the IGN video from today where they play the game?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Organs posted:

How would you make the alien scary in a video game?

The Oculus Rift and a good simulation of the Nostromo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Xenomrph posted:

Did you watch the IGN video from today where they play the game?
The one that we were talking about where different people play the same section in the dark and end up doing the exact same things? Or is there another one?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McSpanky posted:

The Oculus Rift and a good simulation of the Nostromo.

A special add-on that causes a horrible monster to burst from your chest and kill you when you die.

Include a special achievement for finishing the game with the add-on.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
In the words of another Space Marine, "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
They should make this game a rogue-like, trying to escape from the ship in different ways. Also it would be scarier if there was permadeath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Palpek posted:

The one that we were talking about where different people play the same section in the dark and end up doing the exact same things? Or is there another one?

Look buddy if you don't trust the totally and completely unbiased opinion of a guy with an Alien name and avatar who thinks AvP is a good movie I don't know what to tell you.

• Locked thread