Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Wouldn't care if the game was as linear as Outlast as long as it was actually decent like Outlast. Also if it cost $20 or given away for free with PS+ like Outlast.

e: Whistleblower DLC was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I made an Alien - Isolation thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642590

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

We have two bad (yes, bad) alien games in a row.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHbjped9gM8

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Palpek posted:

All things considered this game will be at least interesting as a virtual tour of the film set because drat, those environments look great in every video.

Why do people keep saying this? What film set? The ship in Alien blew up so isn't this a different place?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Why do people keep saying this? What film set? The ship in Alien blew up so isn't this a different place?

Alien games are the only games where everything is always required to look exactly like one of two movies from 1979 and 1986.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Alien: Isolation is set on Sevastopol station. It's meant to have been built at the same time as the Nostromo, thus the similarities in design.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Sire Oblivion posted:

AvP2010 owned by the way. Well, the Marine Campaign did and the multiplayer was pretty legit. The Alien Campaign sucked and I never finished the Predator Campaign because gently caress that stupid Melee system.

The multiplayer was especially bad but I wonder if the people who say it was good are used to playing on consoles or never played the two best Alien games when they came out.

SBJ posted:

Wouldn't care if the game was as linear as Outlast as long as it was actually decent like Outlast. Also if it cost $20 or given away for free with PS+ like Outlast.

In Outlast you could outrun every enemy and the story was hilariously bad.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SirDrone posted:

Do Xenomorphs even care about Androids much? Almost everything in the films or EU makes it up androids get to waltz past unless deliberate pissing off a alien or threatening the hive in some form.

Edit: ^^ Same way a xenomorph survived falling into lava
In the EU they ignore them unless they show themselves to be a threat or hindrance, and then they kill them. They recognize that androids aren't humans and can't be face hugged.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

The multiplayer was especially bad but I wonder if the people who say it was good are used to playing on consoles or never played the two best Alien games when they came out.

I played AvP2 and the multiplayer was always a laggy piece of poo poo and I never got to really experience it. :smith: AVP2010 didn't have the best combat or gun play, but Infestation was a really really fun mode. I remember playing it with like 10+ other goons and we had a blast yelling at each other on the mics as our numbers dwindled and we were backed into a corner.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Yeah Infestation was the best part of AVP 2010.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-survival-experience

Looks like it's up to :ussr: to fix up ACM:

Survival Mod for Aliens: Colonial Marines.

It's goal is to make game more Survival and less COD like. It tweak weapon parameters to be accurate to the Movies universe, and do make real damage to an Aliens. Aliens will become real threat, no more fistfighting with the most deadly killing machine in the universe, if they get close you - you are almost for sure are a deadman. NPC marines and mercs are now deal some more damage to aliens too, they will now have steel BB instead of rubber bullets.))

This mode project is containing two different mods:
1.Survival Mod, it makes aliens deadlier and player more vulnerable, and also makes players and friendly NPC weapons more powerful.

2."No more mercs" mod, it replaces mercs in BugHunt mode with aliens.

Made by Battou (Andrey Egorov) Russia.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Thank god they didn't bundle that in with the game but made it DLC instead.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am shocked that both multiplayer and co-op are still populated. Happily surprised, though. I thought the MP/Co-op achievements would take trawling Gamefaqs for a co-op buddy to get.

Started with MP, moved on to a co-op match that was on the stage with those hilarious Husk things. I dunno, I'm actually enjoying myself. I came in with low expectations and knowing it was janky as hell, so maybe that's why I'm having fun with it. It's a dumb, simple bad-AI shooter and that's totally fine!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

It's safe to say that one of my friends likes me better than another when getting me birtday presents.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Infestation was better in AvP2 :colbert:

AvP10 suffered from pretty small/cramped maps and didn't have the best MP game modes from previous games either.

Also I remember it being laggy *as gently caress* on release and lacking dedicated server support, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Single player was decent but nothing amazing, a little on the clunky & corridory side, very "modern Rebellion".

e: Ah yes this is the stuff that those poser games should aspire to (Well, maybe not Aliens: Isolation :v:)

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 19, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Oh my god Colonial Marines will literally not let me stop playing it. No matter how I close it the game keeps relaunching instantly. Right click and close, quitting normally, even the loving task manager. It just starts up again :gonk:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
the game that keeps on playing.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I force quit Steam with task manager and it hasn't started up again :ohdear: Lets hope it stays that way.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For a game that nobody liked, Colonial Marines is getting a surprising amount of merchandise (and a year and a half after the game came out, to boot). One company is doing four GI Joe-scale figures of the Aliens (Lurker, Soldier, Spitter, and Boiler) and have hinted that they might do others in that scale (Crusher, maybe the Raven), and Play Arts Kai released larger scale figures of the Lurker and Spitter.

I'm not complaining because I'm a total whore for this kind of merchandise stuff, but I'm just a little confused what the plan was, I guess? Like let's say Colonial Marines had delivered on the hype and ended up being kickass and not a bug-riddled half-finished outsourced mess, what's the point in releasing toys for it a year and a half after it came out? Or is the goofy merchandise release schedule just par for the course for a game as half-baked as Colonial Marines?

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Well those first ones you linked are pre-orders, so...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

IrvingWashington posted:

Well those first ones you linked are pre-orders, so...
The Spitter and Boiler haven't been released yet, but the Lurker and Soldier have been (I know this because my order shipped out today :v: ).

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Xenomrph posted:

For a game that nobody liked, Colonial Marines is getting a surprising amount of merchandise (and a year and a half after the game came out, to boot). One company is doing four GI Joe-scale figures of the Aliens (Lurker, Soldier, Spitter, and Boiler) and have hinted that they might do others in that scale (Crusher, maybe the Raven), and Play Arts Kai released larger scale figures of the Lurker and Spitter.

I'm not complaining because I'm a total whore for this kind of merchandise stuff, but I'm just a little confused what the plan was, I guess? Like let's say Colonial Marines had delivered on the hype and ended up being kickass and not a bug-riddled half-finished outsourced mess, what's the point in releasing toys for it a year and a half after it came out? Or is the goofy merchandise release schedule just par for the course for a game as half-baked as Colonial Marines?

I'm just going to go right ahead and assume that you have purchased everything you just linked.

e: beaten. I KNEW IT

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You aren't really surprised, are you? :v:

I didn't get them because they're Colonial Marines related, I got them because they're cool Aliens figures.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to get the Sentry Duty challenge outside of MP? Because no one plays anything but Team Deathmatch.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Looks like it's up to :ussr: to fix up ACM:

I tried the A:CM multiplayer for about an hour or two and just gave up. I can't fathom whose bright idea it was to take a class-based, rank progression shooter that gives one side experience from the single player campaign. Every match was one or two level 3 aliens getting blasted by a fireteam of marines with fully upgraded weapons.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Alien toys are Alien toys. It doesn't really matter if they say Colonial Marines on them or not, though I don't really see the point in marketing them as such.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
great game, just, wow. enjoyed every last minute.

5 stars

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hakkesshu posted:

Alien toys are Alien toys. It doesn't really matter if they say Colonial Marines on them or not, though I don't really see the point in marketing them as such.
Yeah, that's part of what surprised me, that it was specifically marketed as Colonial Marines.

Incidentally, NECA is doing a Queen figure to scale with their other Aliens/Predators/Marines (which means she's goddamn huge), I think they'll have a prototype on display at SDCC.
They're also doing a to-scale Powerloader, too.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Wild T posted:

I tried the A:CM multiplayer for about an hour or two and just gave up. I can't fathom whose bright idea it was to take a class-based, rank progression shooter that gives one side experience from the single player campaign. Every match was one or two level 3 aliens getting blasted by a fireteam of marines with fully upgraded weapons.

At first I thought it was because they were planning a Alien campaign DLC and if the game had sold better, it was going to be released a lot sooner and give Aliens players a chance to get some levels before going into multiplayer, but even if that's the case unless that hypothetical campaign is as big as the Marine one, you'd still have that problem, just to a lesser degree.

This mod might actually make playing through the campaign again worth it. Has anyone played it?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Its an ok mod. It actually changes the Pulse Rifle back to what it was supposed to be, but since the game has brain dead AI, it makes it a bit easy since almost everything dies with 4 or 5 bullets.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, that's part of what surprised me, that it was specifically marketed as Colonial Marines.

Incidentally, NECA is doing a Queen figure to scale with their other Aliens/Predators/Marines (which means she's goddamn huge), I think they'll have a prototype on display at SDCC.

I can't wait for their powerloader and Queen but I have hope of either being good due to NECAs lovely quality control.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god drat it, trying to get Short, Controlled Bursts (the challenge) is going to give me an aneurysm. You're never alone, so you'll constantly end up shooting a dead guy who wasn't dead when you hit RT. Or you'll just randomly not get the hit even when you hit a dude square in the chest. Or you'll Restart Checkpoint and oh hey, ammo and health doesn't respawn for some loving reason so now you don't have the ammunition to even do the challenge!

And yes, I'm using the Battle Rifle. The weak-as-hell, can't-kill-a-thing Battle Rifle. Single shots are easier to keep track of than burst fire. I've been trying to get this for, no joke, 2 hours now. I tried it on level 1, now I'm trying it on level 2, because at least the human enemies don't twitch around like the aliens do. Not that it's helping. O'Neal and Bella are kill-stealing constantly.

This just something I'll have to get in a later stage? I've heard some people say they got it on the Queen fight, but lots of others claim they didn't. So I dunno to wait or to keep trying these early levels in the hopes of getting 'easy' kills.

Don't hunt achievements, kids. That way madness lies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ChibiSoma posted:

Don't hunt achievements, kids. That way madness lies.

Truer words have never been spoken on this shitheap.

I gave up trying to unlock poo poo long ago.

Actually I just gave up long ago.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Xenomrph posted:

This is the Queen

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got the bigger Play Arts Kai aliens in the mail today and they're seriously fantastic. They're big and mega-articulated with sturdy clicky-joints that hold their poses and the sculpted details and paint work are crazy. I'm surprised that I actually like the Spitter more than the Lurker. The differences in the sculpt are really cool, and the acid sacs on the head are done as transparent domes over bright green sculpted details underneath, so it gives a lot of depth to the design.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Any idea when the NECA Ripleys coming out, Xenomrph?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I can't remember if Neca said they'd have a prototype ready for SDCC. I'll send them a tweet and see if I get an answer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

NECA is a world class tweeter.

"Hey do you think you guys might consider making ______ sometime?"

"No."

I really dislike NECA's staff. Having talked to one of the sculptors...Christ. What egos.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

IrvingWashington posted:

Any idea when the NECA Ripleys coming out, Xenomrph?

I actually don't know if they ever confirmed Ripley. I think people are just assuming they're making Ripley because they're making the Powerloader.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Here you go.

http://necaonline.com/46990/blog/news-and-announcements/alien-35th-anniversary-first-ever-figures-of-ripley-with-sigourney-weavers-likeness/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well gently caress, hopefully there's a prototype at Comic Con then.

• Locked thread