Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Is there any way to contact this self proclaimed "most knowledgeable about aliens there is" guy and ask him how certain kind of Xenomorphs are blind when none of them have eyes?

Just found him on twitter. He's a smart man. He left for a cruise yesterday and won't be online/around for the launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

drat you Green Man Gaming and your sweet preorder deals. Welp I guess I'll find out soon enough for myself.

At least there is a deal. I can't imagine being on a console and having to pay $60 for this game.

I don't think it looks good, but most people I still talk to from the AvP2 days pre-ordered or will end up getting it. Hopefully we can get a few months of enjoyment from it.

And hi, Xenomorph. I'm assuming you're the same guy from AvPNews many many years ago.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I quit about 5 minutes into the first mission then went to play MP.

I've only played Escape so far, but it was pretty fun. It's basically L4D VS in the Aliens universe. I wish there were more maps for it.

Wall walking is horrible and I don't know why there is a sprint button for the aliens. They should just be going at that speed by default all of the time with walk requiring a button. The spitting alien was decent, but lots of times the spit never even showed up or it'd hit something right in front of me even though the aiming mechanism was showing it not being stopped. I like the Lurker a lot, but the damage sucks.

Also, having to unlock stuff for MP blows. You're basically stuck playing as the shittiest alien possible for hours until you can actually play the class the way it's designed. If this game was actually going to have a long life then it would suck for new players because you'd be stuck fighting decked out marines with acid-resistant armor, a trait that lets them run faster, and weapons that put you down in 1-2 shots.

I really don't even know why they offered a season pass for the game. Gearbox now has to make multiple DLC for a game that no one is buying post-launch until it hits $10.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 12, 2013

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Found a glitch in MP. I pounced a guy as we were both rounding a corner and after the pounce I couldn't attack. In fact, I couldn't do anything. I wasn't even able to hit escape to leave the game. Got saved by another alien who came by and killed the guy which freed me.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

So for those of you who finished this piece of poo poo, do they ever explain how the colony is still intact despite being at the centre of a nuclear explosion?

They retcon out the explosion. Seriously.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

your evil twin posted:

The limited edition comes with an activation code for Ripley's Pulse Rifle that has a flamethrower strapped to it, for use in multiplayer. Technically it is the wrong way round, in the movie the pulse rifle was on the the right of the flamethrower, not the left, but if they'd done that you wouldnt' be able to see the ammo counter, and also I think it would have obscured more of your screen that way, so that's a perfectly sensible change for gameplay reasons. The pulse rifle is the classic mark 1 movie version, it has the incredinly high firing speed and it is full auto, and a 95 round magazine. (Don't see why it isn't 99 or 100 like in the movie, but whatever.) It still has a working grenade launcher, but you can't use the ironsights. Instead pressing the aim button makes you fire the flamethrower. I think that's a pretty good way of implimenting it, as the pulse rifle/flamethrower combo is so huge and bulky that aiming down the sights would be pretty impractical and in the movie I think Ripley only ever fires it from the hip.

That sounds overpowered as gently caress. Holy poo poo.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Chat is broken in MP.

Some of the challenges are broken. I've only been using Flurry as a Soldier the past few games I've played and killed at least 40 rines using it. Still haven't unlocked the Berserker achievement. Same with "Alpha". I've gone on 3 7+ kill streaks and didn't unlock it. I would be very surprised if these are the only challenges that are broken.

And in the campaign, I reloaded from a checkpoint and the sentry they want me to pick up isn't where it was last. If you go back to where you initially got it there is a sentry gun you can't pick up. I'll have to restart the whole mission.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 13, 2013

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Oh god, I found out why I was having problems with the challenges. You have to unlock all of the challenges IN ORDER. That is quite possibly the dumbest thing. So before I can get the reward for :siren:Killing a Marine from a wall or ceiling:siren: I have to first pounce 3 marines in 10 seconds with the lurker.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Dezztroy posted:

The easy way to win in Versus as aliens is to get Rupture for the spitter class. Then you simply run into the group of marines and get yourself killed. The resulting pool of acid is enough to kill all 4 marines in Escape and Survivor. I've done so several times now.

I don't know why I'm still playing this.

I just tried this. It really does make Escape a joke. And that's with only me being able to play that class on the team. If you had 4 Rupture aliens then it would be impossible to ever complete the second objective on either maps (I'm assuming you could still get the first just by rushing to it and not bunching up).

This really just completely breaks MP.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

BadLlama posted:

Are they like boomers in L4d though so that when you melee them they fly back 100 feet and are dazed for an hour?

No, the melee doesn't push them back that far and the stun is maybe a second long. Perhaps a decent team would be able to combat suicide spitters a few times, but that would essentially become the game. How long can you avoid getting suicide bombed. Latency blows for everyone besides the host, so the chances of being able to stun and safely kill them is a pretty hilarious idea. Although I'm sure you'd see a lot more marines carrying the Tactical Shotgun for the stun secondary. But it's a projectile, not hitscan so it's not that easy to hit with.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

workingdogv1 posted:

Still trying to grasp the challenge system. It's weird; there are times it makes more sense to just die firing a stupid weapon and do a section over and over again.

That's because it's a lovely linear system where you can't just play however you want if you actually want to unlock things. I'm stuck on kill 2 enemies at once with the primary fire of the pump shotgun (I've bloodied so many drones and had them right next to each other or right behind each other and would never kill both so I gave up). I'm also expecting to get stuck on Cat-Like Reflexes where you need to pounce 3 marines in 10 seconds. Oh, and then the kill 2 enemies with one shotgun shot in MP. That's going to be pretty impossible unless I get 2 other people in a private game to just let me do it.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

pixelbaron posted:

Thumbnail looks like a screenshot from UT99 but click it.

What part of the game is that from and on what settings? I saw a lot of bad textures while running through the game, but I don't recall seeing that.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6832-A-LIE-ns-Colonial-Marines

Christ, I was already pretty sour on the game and I've played it for roughly 18 hours. But I didn't follow a lot of the news about the game before it came out, so I didn't know about the that demo. He's right, it is infuriating to see that after having played the final product. That looks like it would have been an awesome game.

GiantBomb reviews is up and it's spot on

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/aliens-colonial-marines-review/1900-558/

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 14, 2013

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Alchenar posted:

SEGA will have profited (or at least, minimised their losses).

It isn't exactly a new development in the industry for a Publisher to throw a troubled product at a developer and say that they have to have something ready to sell by a certain date and on a certain budget, no extensions.

30 million with little oversight and lots of outsourcing. SEGA might profit based on whatever the contract was, but I doubt the game makes more than what it cost. I also doubt the Aliens license is dirt cheap and releasing a game that not only pisses people off, but also embitters them for future releases doesn't help long term profits especially when SEGA has another Aliens game in the works. Everything from GBX for over the past 2 years has been straight up lies including the demo they showed at E3 in 2011.

I doubt anyone bought this game based on how it turned out. It sold based on "100% ingame footage!" trailers and other bullshit.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I'm pretty sure GBX can't play that card considering how impassioned Randy was about being able to make an Alien game and how much he loved the universe and how much he knows OTHER developers just use licenses to cash in and how he wouldn't settle for anything but the best because he met Ridley Scott and blah blah blah.

You can't play dumb on a game that was in development for 6 years that YOU were developing regardless of who you outsourced to.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Merry Magpie posted:

Do you happen to have a source for the 30 million dollar cost? If true, Gearbox needs to be lambasted.

I forget where I heard that. Did a quick drunk google search and didn't immediately see anything that referenced it. I'll give it another shot later on.

I actually thought that I saw it referenced in multiple places. Even if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure that A LOT of money was sunk into the development of this horrible horrible game and I will be surprised if it brings in more than what it cost.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

GoldenNugget posted:

Well it could be that the consoles couldn't handle some of those effects well and therefore they decided to scale down the quality of the graphics for all platforms... And then it became convenient because they also didn't have to work on higher quality art assets for the PC version so all versions ended up looking mediocre.

But they then also didn't execute ANY of the things that happened in the demo in the final version. Even if you allowed the textures and lighting to suck, what happens in the demo would have been 2000% better than what happens in the game. And it's not like they didn't already know what to script because they already loving did it.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Imagine if they had you fight the queen in the power loader like anyone with half a brain would've done.

You mean a quicktime button mashing boss fight? Sounds awesome.

I would have been fine with them not doing that.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

AHungryRobot posted:

What is even up with that first picture? 3 different colored balls? Is that something they forgot to take out? I don't get it.

Yeah. I don't get the joke here. Is it that they spent more time on an obscure inside joke than they did on making a good game?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Millions of Crows posted:

gently caress you Pitchford, you fat lying jackass.

The appropriate response

He said without sarcasm.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Oh boy! We're getting Shift codes for A:CM this weekend!

Randy would never take advantage of his fans!

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
THIS is why I bought the game (not at full price). I knew the fallout was going to be glorious and it's really not disappointing me.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Rasczak posted:

It's even better when you haven't bought the game at all!

It's just not the same. Having something invested makes it more enjoyable.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Hey now, no need for sarcasm here. That's three maps and one game mode that were originally supposed to be included with the game at launch.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
New patch.... that's already been pulled from Steam because it broke the game for most people :allears:

It's the film grain toggle that was promised ages ago, that a modder had a fix for within a few hours, and they've locked down some (most? tough to tell when people can't even launch the game) of the ability to mod the game.

It's fantastic.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

pixelbaron posted:

The best part about this patch is everyone flipping out about their placebo .ini fixes going away.

Yeah, the fact that any of them believe that the AI could be improved through the ini files is pretty hilarious.

Still 3 more pieces of DLC to go!

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Not the NHL GDT... sorry

Let's just pretend it was an accidental double post

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Hey, stop stealing my posts on the GBX forums!

I said it would be $15 for the skin pack (4 sets of skins which were just originally planned as packaged free shift codes they don't want to release) :ssh:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
This would be the greatest thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
The game is loving terrible and no one should buy it for anywhere near $20

• Locked thread