Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Didn't play Aliens Online myself but it looks better than Colonial Marines...

Aliens vs Predator was my first Steam game :3:
It wouldn't surprise me if their were a couple people still playing it or AVP2 online to this day.

Did they really throw out the classic green for blue? I don't see what the main attraction is here. Is it the campaign? Because it looks awful and is probably unplayable without 4 friends. The multiplayer versus? Why wouldn't I just play Natural Selection 2? I doubt this game will top that. I'm really not understanding why this game exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I dig the Dead Space references, but the necromorphs weren't intelligent in Dead Space. In both the Thing and Alien, the antagonist(s) were just as smart as the protagonists at fighting, and they fought in a completely alien (heh, pun) way to the humans. It was awesome and festered paranoia. Aliens and the Thing aren't scary because they're lethal creatures trying to kill you, they're scary because you don't know how or when they'll try to kill you. I want an alien game with way less aliens, but way smarter aliens. The aliens charging straight at the player like Doom fodder outright ruins this game. No matter how beautiful the graphics, animations or sound, if the aliens don't act like aliens then it's pointless.

Create a building/ship area, make it much more accessible for the aliens, darken it, add some flashing red lights, let the player control a marine trying to survive in said area, boom, you're golden. Build a game around that. What I'm describing is pretty much Natural Selection 2 but with players instead of ai.

\/\/ Just watched the ending. Got a bunch of laughs out of it. None of the model's faces move except for their mouths. It's hilarious at the end when it's supposed to be a tense and dramatic situation but everyone is staring ahead blankly, their eyes can't even move. That's tech details we had last generation. Couple that with the horrible and awkward voice acting. The developers really do not give a gently caress about this game.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 9, 2013

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

MUFFlNS posted:

Alien 3: One of the prisoners stumbles upon the alien feasting on a dead prisoner near the end of the film. Well, it might not be eating him, but the scene heavily implies that it is.
Eh, are you sure it wasn't rape? Can't remember which Alien movies I've seen aside from the first one, but I have a hard time believing ambiguous and freaky Giger sex wasn't involved.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Speaking of the sewer level...

Least it looks pretty, but that's probably only because it's so dark with contrasting lights.
Also how are y'all deciding what is and isn't cannon? Ripley, Cameron, O'Bannon, Hill, Fincher, etc. Every movie has had a completely different development crew aside from Weaver, the guy who plays the alien, and a writer or two. Giger's artwork is changed and altered by the crew every time too.

quote:

It was such a great metaphor for that whole films "Go gently caress yourself" message.
I don't think it was intentional. At least half the poo poo he makes ends up loving itself.
:nws:
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/3e/58/b9f6224128a0514279b96010.L.jpg

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Remember that part in Aliens when the aliens ran straight at the marines? Me neither!

Why the gently caress did that marine activate a grenade when he was in a small (and presumably fragile) space hallway with fellow marines? Even Gaider doesn't write poo poo that stupid. I bet it's done in-game to create a false conflict. And why is their a stealth section in an Aliens game?

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 11, 2013

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I actually liked Borderlands 2 and pretty much didn't get the backlash to it (other than outright buggy stuff, or the terrible writing).
As do I, but Borderlands has good shooting mechanics in my opinion. The shooting in this looks awkward and stiff, plus it's as linear as can be and still has poo poo set-pieces, animations, terrible AI, graphics, etc. Not trying to persuade you, just my take. If it still looks fun despite the latest videos and screens, then I'd go for it.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Y'all are making me thinking of reinstalling and playing some AVP Classic all night.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

There's something fishy about this, I just can't put my finger on it...

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Sendo posted:

I actually went back and looked at all their other reviews to see if they did the same thing, but nope none of the ones that I checked did.
I just noticed "The Good" in EGM's review is "it's not crap".

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/how-much-of-aliens-colonial-marines-did-gearbox-actually-make

Holy poo poo. Can you be more of a shameless rear end in a top hat? The aliens in Aliens aren't as slimy as Gearbox and IGN.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Is giantbomb.com not working for anyone else? All the "isitdown?" sites are saying it's just me. keep getting a "Chrome could not connect". Never seen this before. Even their twitch is refusing me. Giantbomb hates me ;_;

e: I'll have to settle for the recorded first look later then. ...They do record 'em right?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Dapper Dan posted:

So the reason that this game is in shambles is because Gearbox scored a big, juicy contract and then decided to gently caress off and concentrate on their own flagship property (that is if this is true, but it is more probable than improbable). I cannot blame them for DNF. It was a garbage game that people were always going to buy simply for the spectacle. No studio on earth could have turned it into anything remotely decent without reworking it from the ground up. If you per-ordered it thinking it was going to be decent or even good...well, I'm afraid that's on you.

But this is unforgivable and nearly fraudulent. It is no surprise that Sega doesn't have their back. I'm kind of sympathetic towards the publisher and especially everyone that per-ordered it without knowing. I hope no one with a decent IP decides to work with Gearbox after this, knowing that it'll just be ignored, endlessly delayed and eventually contracted out while they actually work on another Borderlands game.
DNF was rebuilt from the ground up, though. Likely several times judging from the screens we've gotten over the years. Gearbox had all the time in the world and they still hosed up. All they had to do was create a fun 3D Duke Nukem game, that's it. It had no restrictions placed on it.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that this is even possible. :colbert:
Haven't played it myself (not a fan of the series) but Duke Nukem 3D is a great game, isn't it?

30.5 Days posted:

Eh, 3D Realms had all the time in the world. Gearbox had a couple months.
Why only a couple months? Were they paying for the license by month? Did 2K tell them "put it out this year or you're gone"? Bottom line is they had a poo poo product on their hands, and decided to release it anyway.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 13, 2013

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

GUI posted:

The Duke Nukem Forever Gearbox "worked" on was the same one 3DRealms was making between 2007-2009. All they did was patch together all the complete/nearly complete levels then save all the unfinished ones for that even more awful Clones DLC.
It's funny some people are talking about how everyone expected it to suck since in the official thread this forum had back then everyone was circlejerking about how it was going to own. The discussions after the demo came out were hilarious and it's too bad the thread was deleted.
And what's their execuse for the glitches? Or the segments that drag on and on and on? They couldn't end the lovely mini-driving section earlier? This on top of the fact they released it with their name under the pretense that it was Gearbox quality. That quality, as we're learning, is awful to average at best. Being empathetical makes sense when it's obvious they company has been screwed over (Obsidian), but not when it's their own fault.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 13, 2013

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

GUI posted:

Because they knew that despite professional reviews people would buy it anyway due to its infamous development cycle. Thankfully for the gaming industry, Forever still bombed in sales.
It shows Gearbox is to blame. That's the only point I'm trying to make. They made their bed, despite all the great opportunities they were given.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Palpek posted:

You're jumping from argument to argument here. Your first post about the DNF issue was "Gearbox had all the time in the world and they still hosed up. All they had to do was create a fun 3D Duke Nukem game, that's it." which isn't true - as people pointed out they only put together what 3d Realms developed and NOT develop the game themselves from the ground up.

The issue that they released that bad game under their name is a completely different matter and doesn't speak about their game development skills but rather about their greed.
I suck with words. What I'm trying to say is it's Gearbox's fault. I felt like "Gearbox didn't make DNF" (which I can understand), is an execuse, but that probably wasn't GUI's intention and instead was me misunderstanding, which is all on me.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I dunno, I had a blast with Hell's Highway, and that's seemingly regarded as the "worst" in the series. I've only played that one so far, but I do have the others on Steam and I'm looking forward to giving them a shot at some point.
All the BIA games are good if you like melancholic tactical squad-based shooters. Highly recommended simply because they're original. Haven't played 'em in years, so not sure if they've held up...

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 13, 2013

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

Glad I didn't preorder this.

Regarding a spoiler in the intro, though:
I realize that bringing Hicks back retcons Alien 3, but didn't everyone pretty much agree that Alien 3 sucked, and that William Gibson's alternative story dropping Ripley for Hicks and Bishop killing aliens all the time sounded way cooler? The RPS review made it pretty clear that the dialogue sucked, but I think if the game had been well done, retconning Hicks' death would have probably been an awesome thing.
It's not so much that Hicks is actually alive, it's how they brought him back. Quite literally "it's a long story". Fanfiction is generally better written.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

Has anyone else noted that the black/female marine seems to be there to die a horrible grisly death in order to provide pathos for her white boyfriend?
Can we not do this?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

lady blue shanghai posted:

Okay? The difference, and it's a huge one, is that black women are not a privileged class. This doesn't necessarily have to become one of those discussions but it's ridiculous how people get immediately shouted down for simply pointing out stuff.
And? Can black women not be in video games? Or can they, but they must never die or injure? The context surrounding her death couldn't be more generic and lazily done. This isn't one white male shooting hundreds of black men in Africa a la RE5. This is an Aliens game with many deaths. One just so happens to be a black woman, one that spent the majority of game being shown as capable I might add. I can just as easily claim the aliens being black in color is racist, and right away that sounds like the less ridiculous argument. If there is some form of bigotry in this game (there isn't, don't give this game so much credit), it's so beyond subtle and profoundly ineffective to the point discussing it is asinine and literally no one but you is thinking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Just finished playing Rebellion's newest product, Sniper Elite Zombie Nazi Army. Surprisingly fun :colbert:.

• Locked thread