Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Is there a code to get it cheaper on GMG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I'm not going to be happy unless aliens attack from nowhere and kill you before you've got a chance to realize what is happening as a hand covers your face and pulls you into a dark cabinet where your intestines spill out and a huge "Game Over man, Game over!" message appears on your screen.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Shonuff posted:

drat. I was hoping the negativity was just typical Goon overreaction, but no, the game REALLY looks like poo poo. The aliens move like they have arthritis and the overall atmosphere in the Lets Play is a huge step down from the earlier video posted here.

This somehow managed to be more mediocre than all of the sci-fi shooters that have been aping Aliens for years.

I wasn't expecting miracles from the single player, I guess my hope is that the multiplayer was going to be epic. From what I've seen in reviews, it is a lot better. But everyone is ripping Singleplayer, and it seems rightly so.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
So disappointed. I loved AVP2, why can't they just remake something like that in a new engine?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Yahtzee.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

BexGu posted:

Oh look NOW I remember why I stopped playing AvP 2010 multiplayer: The only server with people is running species DM and its 2 aliens, 2 marines, and 7 predators.

I remember AVP2 had a thing where you could limit slots by race, or maybe that was just a server mod someone had? Does AVP2010 not have that?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Not entirely related, but since I'm not going to spend my $70 in my Steam Wallet on this game, which of the following (That I already own on 360) should I pick up to play on my new PC?:

X-Com: Enemy Unknown
COD: Black Ops 2
Farcry 3

Keep in mind, I already own them on 360. I'm just wanting to know if any of them are better for PC? I'm leaning toward X-Com.

I could probably also throw $20 toward the AVP2010 and we could all sob and tell each other it will be okay in some goon matches.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Xaris posted:

Is there a reason why you're just wanting one of those three games? Also it's bad timing since you just missed the awesome Winter Sale and next major one isn't until summer.

I've just got $70.00 in my Steam Wallet and already own most everything else from the Winter Sale. My only other option is to pre-order something, but the two games I wanted (Company of Heroes 2, Aliens) are in limbo or absolute horseshit. I pretty much own everything in the top 30 best sellers.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Xaris posted:

Gotcha. Well from stalking your Steam profile, you seem to be missing: Sleeping Dogs, Hotline Miami, Mark of the Ninja, Don't Starve, Dark Souls, Alpha Protocol, Arkham City, Max Payne 3, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Just to name a few. I'll stop derailing the gently caress Gearbox train now.

Every single one of those except for:
Hotline Miami
Mark of the Ninja

I already have on 360 as well. I've also got Assassin's Creed III, Skyrim, though I don't have the newest DLC for Skyrim.

Pretty much decided on XCOM + AVP2010(which I had on 360 at one point as well) I think. I've already got too much time invested in Farcry 3 on the 360, and I think I'll enjoy the interface of XCOM better on PC. I either own or have owned most games on either 360, PS3, or PC that made any top 20 list at any point. Too much disposable income in-between marriages.

EDIT: Yeah, I'll jump to the Steam thread. Continue the gently caress Gearbox guys!

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
The best part of Alien: Resurrection was the two soldiers chewing gum in cadence standing guard outside the door in the beginning.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Crashbee posted:

I didn't like Newt's death because it makes the last section of Aliens fall completely flat, as Ripley's heroics are ultimately wasted and pointless. From Newt's point of view being 'saved' meant she gets to live for maybe an extra ten minutes.

Are we gonna sleep all the way home? :smith:

The worst part for "Newt" is that the actress who played her never got another acting gig because of her parents.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

BadLlama posted:

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Not even worth the effort to gas

On a forum no one can hear you scream

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5WwV9YoW_U

Pacifist Mode

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

your evil twin posted:

I can't imagine anyone actually buying an old game at that sort of inflated price just to be sure to get it new and sealed, when on ebay you can get it for £1. (Except maybe some sort of collector nerd who likes it sitting on a shelf on in a box unopened, forever.)

I was an owner of Starfleet Command 3 (It got pulled within a month or two of release due to a lawsuit between Activision and Paramount) and only had it in the jewel case, and some person bought it off of me for $150.00 on Amazon. Ditto for Bridge Commander. Lots of older PC games go for inflated prices, so whenever I need cash I just check through my old games. I've sold quite a few this way, because it is the only legitimate way to purchase many titles. I even had a copy of Starshatter or something that was a third party indie title with a limited run (now it is available as freeware I think) but sold it for like $80-$90. Even made $70 selling my Armada 2 copy.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADqIh9_zAp4

New Randy Pitchford video.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Question: Why wasn't the Sulaco fully manned and why don't they keep a support crew onboard in case of emergencies. You know... like loving crashing your dropship.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Cellophane S posted:

It's hilarious that AVP 2010 looks better in every way.

I played a single player alien swarm last night. The aliens move like aliens and although they aren't as movie-accurate as I like, they don't look like they are doing the dinosaur. The crawl on ceilings, walls, floors, and sneak up and surround you randomly.

Can't find anyone on MP though. :(

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Krenzo posted:

What was the deal with the action figures looking nothing like the characters from the movie?

"It's a long story..."

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Rewatched Aliens Director Cut last night. The biggest line that stood out for me was that the detonation of the atmospheric processor would be equivalent to 40 megatons.

Use the map here: http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

40 megatons is equivalent to 40000 kilotons. Check it out on some places to see how large that blast radius would be.

Suffice to say, any structure within 15 miles not concrete reinforced would be expected to collapse. Anything within 5 miles should be vaporized.

Also of interest to note, is that the explosion explicitly happened on-screen. Also of interest, is that the atmospheric processor was within walking distance of Hadley's Hope.

So... how exactly is Aliens: CM canon?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
SteamID lljksilk here if anyone wants to play AVP2010 tomorrow or later this week.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I had fun hosting a group tonight. We got about 6 of us at the most playing Infestation and Predator Hunt. Good stuff.

Thanks for the fun guys!

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Shyfted One posted:

THIS is why I bought the game (not at full price). I knew the fallout was going to be glorious and it's really not disappointing me.

It's why I didn't buy the game and bought AVP 2010 and had a fun time with goons last night. I used the extra money to buy XCOM.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Pimpmust posted:

Yeah, AvP2 is one of those impossible to get things. Something to do with the license, with it being made by Monolith, (who are still owned by Warner Bros) before SEGA getting ahold of the license.

I've still got it in a jewel case somewhere.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Triggsz posted:

^^ Yeah i'm gonna try that now.

And i'm up for some AVP later on if we can get a crowd going.

Yeah a couple of you have me on Steam (LLJKSiLk) - I hosted for a while last night, and I see another group got going after. I think the most we had was 5-6 at any one time until I logged out around 10. Looks like around midnight everyone got on.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Prometheus was just a bad movie. There was no point in revealing Charlize Theron as Weyland's daughter, there was no point in having him be this "big reveal" when it isn't really a surprise when it happens. You can't relate to David as a protagonist because you cannot relate with an android. The one chick who survives isn't even on Ripley levels of characterization. None of the characters act like someone should in their position. If you are scared of ten million year old holograms you don't go trying to facefuck something that is displaying defensive movements similar to a cobra. Why did David put poo poo in the guy's water? Did he know he was going to have sex with the one girl who was then going to birth a squid? Nobody's motivations or behavior made any sense whatsoever. Yanking off your helmet just because you detect oxygen does not take into account the fact that microbes or bacteria may be present. It is like everyone got so stupid once they landed.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Basebf555 posted:

See this is what I was afraid my post would be interpreted as. All of these questions are answered in the overt text of the film, or are complaints about realism where you use "what I would do" as some kind of metric for how characters in a movie should act. The one thing you mention that I kind of agree with is Rapace's character not being on the same level as Ripley, but I don't think thats an insult to Prometheus, more a statement on how great a character Ripley was.

I'm not even saying it was a "What would I do?" situation. The two guys that went to facefuck the cobra not even ten minutes before were making GBS threads their pants at holograms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I had most of those figures. Did anyone have the "Queen Facehugger" which was as huge as any of the marines itself?

It made no logical sense, but I had it. IIRC the "Scorpion Alien" would explode or something into pieces when you pressed its button.

• Locked thread