Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

your evil twin posted:

That is definitely 100% worth it. You'll have gotten your money's worth even if you only play singleplayer or only play multiplayer, and both are decent.

I politely disagree. I'd be surprised if the multiplayer on PC was anything but dead, for starters. The single player game loses all sense of atmosphere and intelligence as soon as you go outside, which is pretty early on.

Presuming anyone is playing the multiplayer, the default deathmatch is extremely broken in favor of predators. The adversarial survival mode is the strongest multiplayer game type, but still gets tiresome quickly. The players vs. bots mode is defined by constantly running in a circle to outsmart the alien A.I., which is still apparently a step above Colonial Marines.

Still, if you love aliens and you would like to play something that is just marginally better than Colonial Marines, it is at the right price point. But keep in mind this was the major disappointment before Colonial Marines dethroned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Here's how the update looks on highest settings 1080p, if anyone was wondering. Film grain and all. They still didn't fix the dropship explosion. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsYUxjFhMhc

Yeah it's not even actually MST3K commentary, but it's stitched together from coop with everyone talking on mumble so...

Since they added dedicated server support there are dozens of servers and always a couple servers running Species Deathmatch with people on them at any given time. And while it is super unbalanced if there are more than a couple Preds it is always fun to jump on and yell at other marines over voice to stick together (which never lasts long) as you are inevitably killed. Yeah if you want to try any other modes you need to play with friends.

You are tempting to me to drop the threebux even now, since I bore easily lately. . .

Also, the funniest thing about the new film grain is that they are clearly trying to emulate the Aliens camerawork. Except one of James Cameron's eternal regrets is how grainy the film stock was in Aliens (film dork reporting in).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

That's not entirely accurate - he personally oversaw the bluray transfer for 'Aliens' and was offered the option to remove the film grain, and intentionally kept it. He did the same thing with 'The Terminator', too.

This is because he doesn't have the George Lucas gene.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

It's still bad. nothing short of forcing the developers to rebuild the game from the ground-up will make this anything more than a buggy-rear end, unfinished, beta-quality piece of garbage. The recent overpriced DLC release, combined with the fact that we're guaranteed at least another three sets of "Future Content," just makes things more depressing.

It's already on a markdown week on Steam (or had one, anyway), so at least this will join the pantheon of $5 games sooner than most.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

My mistake, he was talking about 'The Terminator' as being a "war movie" which is why he wanted to keep the film grain - he was given the same "remove the grain" option for 'The Terminator' and opted to leave much of the grain intact.

As for 'Aliens', he said this:

source

The bluray still looks incredible, though:

Unlike the 'Predator' bluray where they cleaned it up and removed all the grain, and made everyone look like wax dolls in the process:

Well, I'll be, that Aliens transfer looks OK. I would have expected everything to look like Predator.

Cameron has talked extensively about how he thought Aliens was a Vietnam allegory, though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PowerBeard posted:

There's no way they're going through with all 3 DLC packs. They'll just claim that The Horde DLC is was always worth $29.99 or whatever they were asking for and cut their loses.

If this had a season pass or whatever, then the DLC is basically paid for in large part.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

B-b-but it's a game about ALIENS that's like the best movie ever! And Gearbox made Borderlands!

Ah yes Borderlands, completely mediocre games that are amazing because they are cel shaded.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Revitalized posted:

When I think Gearbox in a positive light, I don't immediately think of Borderlands.

I think of Opposing Force :colbert:

Opposing Force was actually more fun than Half-Life 1, mainly because the guns were badass, it didn't really have a Xen section (JUMPING PUZZLES IN SHOOTERS ARE FUN, RIGHT EVERYONE?), and the new monsters were great.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

This is pretty great.

Honestly I lost interest after the third time Biehn was like "Yeah, uhhh. . . Errr. . I dunno, he was just crazy."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What really kills me is that every time there is a sale for this game that everyone thinks is the smelliest dogshit, there's still posting about it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Just how bad is Aliens: Colonial Marines, purely as an expression of economic value? We turn now to the thread for details.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DrProsek posted:

I was just trying to say that the patches fixed the game enough it's still bad but it's at the point that if you find it for really cheap it's not a total waste of money, but apparently that now means I think it's better than Doom :(.

I just want to know if A:CM is better or worse than a $3 hamburger that tries to punch me in the mouth when I eat it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I haven't paid much attention to A:CM honestly, but Hicks' model is noticeably bad on pretty much all levels, and I like that Hicks survives via hijinks from Ripley being shot in the face.

Bruceski posted:

Did they just subtitle pissants as piss ants? I know it sounds the same, but that's the kind of thing someone typing's supposed to catch, isn't it?

Before this I didn't even know a pissant was a real thing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Holy poo poo, Hicks sounds like he is drunk. That is terrible. Also, what the gently caress? What is the context on that? Did they plan to switch them out initially? That is the only way I can justify them having a guy wearing the same clothes as Hicks, because in the future, they don't have DNA testing.

The canon explanation is Yakety Sax.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bruceski posted:

What the hell? That Wikipedia entry looks like some 12-year-old got a vocab question wrong and made things up to justify their answer. If pissant ever referred to actual ants, it doesn't anymore.

I just always figured that the basis of the insult was that you were an ant (already bad!) that ate piss and vomited it back up at the nest and so forth, or something. Colorful army insults.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I can't imagine how awful it will be when it does going by how goons judge these games immediately on release vs. how they grow on people.

AvP1 on release: Wtf you can't save everything's so dark this is so hard I don't userstand it the Predator is way too strong the game doesn't have REAL multiplayer what is this coop horde mode crap uugh it's not even nonlinear like before this game is a joke compare to the TRUE MASTERPIECE, AvP Jaguar

AvP2 on release: Wtf is this crap story the weapons multiplayer graphics and lighting and sound are all worse than before why is the Predator so loud you don't even shoot anything for like ten minutes this game is a joke compared to the TRUE MASTERPIECE, AvP1

AvP 2010 on release: Wtf is this crap story why does a Predator box with Aliens these graphics are so loving bad chain kill conga line lmao there isn't even any atmosphere you just start shootin stuff in a club I can't believe the entire game uses techno club
music I think what a joke compared to the REAL MASTERPIECE, AvP2

Looking forward to discussing overlooked fan favorite GOTY Colonial Marines in a few years when the new one comes out.

AVP 2010 was and still is lovely, it's just not quite as lovely as this.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

So speaking of AVP 2010...

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/aliens-vs-predator/

On sale, steam key (naturally), $3.74

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

AVP 2010 was and still is lovely, it's just not quite as lovely as this.

Please be mindful that before Colonial Marines, AvP 2010 was the huge disappointment, and Colonial Marines coming out has not made it better.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

IrvingWashington posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but now I'm definitely going to make sure I see that DLC.

It was a lead works, not steel :spergin: - do they call it steel in the game?

I really liked Alien 3. Hated the idea of it at the time because ALIENS and MARINES and FLAMETHROWER-TAPED-TO-RIFLE, but it might be my favorite Alien story.

Amanda Ripley is a terrible idea, especially as it's going to have to retcon her death somehow (I can't think of a way to get her in a room with an alien that isn't terrible, but however they do it W-Y will almost definitely end up murdering her with "cancer" to keep her quiet, right).

I know people were upset with the amount of Dead Folks We Loved in Alien 3, but come on, guys, surely it's time to stuff all those corpses back in their boxes; poo poo's stinking bad enough here without digging up another.

Burke lied in Aliens when he said she had died, or that she was a grandma. What really happened: She went looking for Ripley against Company orders after receiving evidence that the Nostromo crew had been set up. She gets a group of mercenary prospectors (the only people who will listen because they think they'll make a big score if they visit this alien planet) to go, on the condition that they bring her along, to Ripley's last known whereabouts. There is a saucy ethnic merc, a dumb merc, a badass merc, a competent but unprepared captain merc, an unethical merc, a sexually non-threatening girl merc, a love interest merc, and some redshirts. Hijinks ensue.

There, I just ground my heel into the face of your favorite IP.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Oh hey it's another Colonial Marines fire sale, $5 on Amazon right?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009K6YJTS?tag=deals4dowcom-20

To match Steam's $5 Halloween sale?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/49540/

But! According to the Deals4Downloads page (and nowhere else)...

http://www.deals4downloads.com/games/detail/1jmx/buy-aliens-colonial-marines-5-credit-pc-download/rg6x?utm_source=feedly

...you get $5 credit just for buying it. So Amazon are basically paying you a penny in store credit to buy Aliens.

Yes, we are at the point where stores are willing to PAY YOU FOR IT

You're still paying fifty cents or so in tax. NO DEAL

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Testekill posted:

How bad of a person am I if I giveaway a copy or two of this?

It still isn't at Bad Rats pricing, so pretty bad.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Nostromo was vaporized in a nuclear explosion. Let's not pretend that the story makes any sense and just hope the game is OK.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

But that doesn't contradict anything they've said so far, does it? They found signs of the black box and sent a ship to check it out, which gets hit by a Xenomorph while in the area.

A Ripley character being involved at all is your first red flag that the story will be dumb, since it's just another ill-conceived attempt at fanservice. What does that improve, exactly? Other than that we know very little. I guess if your black box can survive a nuclear explosion big enough to disintegrate a ship the size of a small city.

The good news is that any stupid story elements can operate mostly independent of the mechanics being competent or even good.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 7, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

Aww, it wants a hug :)

Still not as good as Alien 3 Whippet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Games have gone from "day one DLC/Gamestop exclusive poo poo" to the "season pass" model, at least, which is honestly much better for the consumer who waits for the season pass price to go down.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Seriously just watch like the first two minutes of Colonial Marines to see them cram every Aliens movie plot or visual reference they can possibly think of into the opening FMV sequence.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Caustic posted:

I'm hoping someone better at it than I can make a Alien: Isolation-specific thread, wholly separate from this Colonial Marines thread (although I understand the skepticism over another game in the series after how badly we've all been burned by CM).

From what I've seen, I'm excited about this game and I hope it sticks more to survival horror and minimizes any run-and-gun scenarios.

It is probably time for an Isolation thread, since this one was very dead other than to laugh at $2.00 digital sales because Colonial Marines is terrible.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

This is all your fault ChickenHeart

Have they patched Contagion to be fun yet?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is still $20 right now so I cannot in good conscience pay approximately 8 times my upper limit even for a guided tour.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I've said this before, but there are three trains of thought on Prometheus:

1) Everything is symbolic and most everything has some deeper meaning, and anything that's "dumb" that happens, happens for a specific reason.

2) This movie disappears up its own rear end

3) This is dumb and not how my space mission would go

This is the first I've seen people criticize the production design. Not my favorite Ridley Scott movie but hardly the worst.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You guys actually thought they were going to make Amnesia but with aliens, that's cute.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The main point being that it's the least likely thing to be adopted as a game style by a major developer, especially for something that has gone beyond fanboyism and back again like Alien. Although "purist" horror games are gaining steam as a thing, especially with LPers putting on a show by constantly mugging for the camera while playing them.

Amnesia is pretty cheap on Steam, should run on just about anything, and got a sequel recently (that wasn't received that well? Can't remember).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Organs posted:

Are the monster appearances in Amnesia scripted, or is it completely random where and when you run into them?

It's generally a combination of scripted things and free-wheeling monsters. You have to hide a lot, but staying in shadows makes you lose your mind.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I assume this is yet another reference to alien fans heavily anticipating the new aliens game despite their misgivings, before swallowing a mouthful of poo poo on launch day.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

I figured that is what you meant. But I honestly think this game will be a heap of poo poo as it stands now. So don't mistake my curiosity for hope. And I have some pretty drat low standards. After all, I loved the Marine campaign in the recent AvP. I also somewhat enjoyed the multiplayer.

Also, AvP 2010 was ok when it was released. A:CM was universally poo poo. I think some goons were trying to defend the versus as not poo poo, but we saw how that panned out.

This re-writing of history where AVP 2010 is a good game because A:CM happened is pretty funny. They are both more or less a waste. I have a grim curiosity about A:CM but won't satisfy it for more than $2.50 or so.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

We have two bad (yes, bad) alien games in a row. If you pay $60 for any game at all ever these days you're a sucker, if you pay $60 for an alien game, you earn credit toward a place at Xenomrph's right hand in his all-consuming quest to collect every alien toy, media, and tie-in ever created.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Why do people keep saying this? What film set? The ship in Alien blew up so isn't this a different place?

Alien games are the only games where everything is always required to look exactly like one of two movies from 1979 and 1986.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am waiting for Cheapshark to give me a deal on Colonial Marines at or below $4 so I can play the defining interactive Aliens experience of our generation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Today I learned Daikatana had a Game Boy Color release.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Even with my rose colored nerd fanboy glasses, i think I can safely say that it wasn't THAT bad. If people were honest to god complaining to Steam and demanding refunds, then they haven't actually played bad DLC. Stasis Interrupted is mediocre and inoffensive at best, but there's way, way worse content more deserving of gamer outrage and refunds on Steam.

Would you just shut up with your loving terrible fanboy gimmick ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mquByeLRYNM

Check out this A+ modeling, with Michael Biehn delivering lines on Nyquil and a hilariously bad excuse for this DLC to even exist. This DLC for a loving terrible game that helped drive a studio out of business and generated a lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Pitchford has a long history of running his mouth and overhyping nearly everything he's ever been part of.

Pattern recognition indicates that this method actually works as far as gamers are concerned.

• Locked thread