Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess I really had one in mind where you investigate a bunch of different mine sites and then at the end you get the real quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

HenryEx posted:

Also, the Night Elf town is huuuugge. Sooo big. I've been walking all over the place doing quests and talking to people for the last ten hours since i arrived there and got my full party back. Probably 5 hours of that were spent walking through that goddamn ginormous town. Let me use public transport or something! :argh:

That was one of my minor annoyances with the game. Just put on as many movement speed up gems as possible.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Those of you emulating the game with Dolphin, do you have a best-case setup you can share with us? I went through the trouble of buying the component cable and component-VGA kit so I can play on my TV, but I'm still interested in trying out Dolphin for how amazing it would make the game look.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

Idioteque Dance posted:

All I'll say is avoid ALL spoilers. Locations, characters, anything - keep it a blank slate if you can.
This is my recommendation as well, you'll enjoy the story heaps more, I went in blind and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed the game a lot more for it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Put warning about the speadsheet in the OP and edited that it's out in the states tomorrow.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 5, 2012

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Wait, it's out NOW in canada? Well, shoot, I'll have to call in to EBGames and see if my copy is ready then. Maybe have it dropped off at my place.

Thanks for the heads up, Louisgod!

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

I ordered this solely off the recommendations of the internet. I'm gonna pick it up in an hour and play it tomorrow. This better be good!!

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
Gamestop just robo-called me to remind me to pick it up tomorrow. I just finished Portal 2 and traded in some old dvds to get a classic controller pro. I know what I'm going to be doing during all of my 2 year old daughter is not awake hours this weekend.

I think this is actually the first time I have ever preordered anything, ever.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Preordered via Nintendo's site awhile ago.

I assume that they won't do release day shipping like Amazon does, and that I'm in for an excruciatingly painful wait over the weekend.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MisterZimbu posted:

Preordered via Nintendo's site awhile ago.

I assume that they won't do release day shipping like Amazon does, and that I'm in for an excruciatingly painful wait over the weekend.

I think some goons have said it won't ship until late this month,

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think some goons have said it won't ship until late this month,

Yep:

Nintendo's pre-order confirmation e-mail posted:

Thank you for your Xenoblade order! We wanted to let you know that we have received your pre-order. We expect to begin shipping by the end of April, 2012.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nintendo's store page says "We expect to begin shipping on April 6th, 2012. A confirmation email will be sent when your order ships."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Louisgod posted:

Dduuuuuuuuuurrr. Useless idiots. Let's REVIEW a game we haven't finished. May as well rename yourself to IGN. I'd wager they're like 40% of the way through if they've completed "quite a few of the side quests".

Really though, I have no idea what they're looking for since Xenoblade bucks so many JRPG staples and cliches: inns, items, mana, potions, save points, random battles.. essentially every generic JRPG motif has been removed.

I have no idea what games they've been playing in order to come to that opinion of Xenoblade. Only a few hours into the game I knew I was playing something special. I'm a little surprised that he considers it "just another RPG."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't see why you guys are making so much of that Kotaku review. What about Kotaku sets it above other gaming sites that you need to react badly to its review? And is the game really so fragile that one "very good, not amazing" review is going to destroy it or something?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't see why you guys are making so much of that Kotaku review. What about Kotaku sets it above other gaming sites that you need to react badly to its review? And is the game really so fragile that one "very good, not amazing" review is going to destroy it or something?

It's popular and people are worried that thus large numbers of people will be influenced by it.

Also, it's hardly the only issue people have with Kotaku.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Its kotakus ability to half rear end an opinion into a review. Its ok though they gave solid reasons like, its not the best rpg of this gen because "unnamed" game is better.

I'm just astounded that they hated the protagonists of the game. Dunban as Shanks is all I need, the rest are fantastic icing on a fun group.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Kotaku guy hates Riki, that's our problem.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

InfiniteJesters posted:

It's popular and people are worried that thus large numbers of people will be influenced by it.

Also, it's hardly the only issue people have with Kotaku.
They recommended it. They said it's worth buying if you like RPGs. It's like a 9/10 versus a 9.5/10. I don't see the issue.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's the internet. Are you suggesting that we SHOULDN'T fuss over things like this?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Overbite posted:

I was all primed to hate Riki, but I found myself liking him and his whole race. I thought it was pretty funny that he turned out to be (minor spoiler)40-years-old, with like six or seven kids. He's also a great damage sponge in battle, as he has a metric tonne of health.

Also, I vote that this image should be in the OP. EDIT: (Warning: it's a Xenoblade-related image macro, so don't click if you hate macros)

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

Overbite posted:

To be fair at that point of the game (since he's 35 hours in I'm guessing he's at or just after prison island , he said he was doing sidequests so maybe before) I kinda disliked Riki too, but then you actually use him in battle or reach some of his "good" conversations (the beach one with Dundun is pretty good) or whatever it is I'm not sure exactly he kinda grows on you. Of course your mileage may vary, so any Riki haters feel free to be sidekicks forever.

randomcommoner fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 5, 2012

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me
whoops double post.
quote != edit

randomcommoner fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 5, 2012

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Blind Sally posted:

It's the internet. Are you suggesting that we SHOULDN'T fuss over things like this?
I like to think that on some parts of the internet we can be mature and not fall prey to fanboyism :P

That said it's a minor thing, it's not like you guys are going ballistic to ME3-ending levels or anything.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gifts for Audiophiles posted:

Picked this up in Oshawa, Ontario today without a pre-order. They had a full retail shipment of copies and the whole PRE-ORDERS ONLY thing was a load of crap! Probably will be impossible to find when that all sells out but anyone in Canada could probably walk out and buy this today, pre-order or not.

It was the same at the Thicksons Road store in Whitby. I get in there to pick up my copy and there's piles of 'em on the back shelf. At least I got the art book. :v:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me... or do all of the characters in the OP look nearly identical to characters we have seen before? I see tidus, wakka and Rikku for certain. Different clothes, but drat are they similar.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kharmakazy posted:

Is it just me... or do all of the characters in the OP look nearly identical to characters we have seen before? I see tidus, wakka and Rikku for certain. Different clothes, but drat are they similar.

The characters definitely have some similarities (I'd say that Reyn definitely reminds me of Wakka) but the Tidus one I'd be iffy about and the Rikku comparison is definitely off-base. They're not the most original characters I'd agree, but it's not really a bad thing.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kharmakazy posted:

The game is made by former Square employees, so I imagine there's some influence from that.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
They are pretty distinct though, so far as everyone in the game sounds like a right ol' knees up cockney geezer.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'm not a fan of a link of the spreadsheet being the third line of OP, that poo poo will ruin some of the magic. There should also be a FAQ section in the OP to address stuff that EVERYONE always ask about such as when certain timed quests expired etc.

No one's holding a knife to your throat.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Great visuals, great music, great voice acting, great characters, great story, great gameplay. Cant go wrong with this game. Hopefully we get more games from these guys cause they knocked out of the park with this one.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Just spent seven hours or so playing Xenoblade, and I must say I haven't enjoyed a JRPG this much since Persona 4. I'd been considering buying this since it was released here last year, and all the goon hype for the US release finally sealed the deal. Loving the game so far.

Really should have picked up a Classic Controller along with it, though. The wiimote+nunchuk combo is serviceable enough, but controlling the camera is rather awkward and selecting arts can be pretty drat frustrating when you've got a bunch of monsters trying to eat your face off.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I love that because it was released a day early in Canada, I can't register it on Club Nintendo's website yet.

Also I am currently just sitting on the 'Press Any Button' screen listening to the music, and holy poo poo, I already want the OST.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
I just got my shipping confirmation email from Gamestop, so it should be here in a few days. But now that it's coming, I'm not sure if I want to play it on the wii or just play my euro copy in Dolphin. On the one hand the wii version won't have the sound corruption issues and occasional crashes. On the other hand, dolphin has hi res, savestates, and lets me switch around the buttons.

Decisions decisions...

Ranilen
Feb 13, 2012
I just got my text telling me I can pick up my copy tomorrow. As if getting through work on Friday wasn't hard enough...

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Preordered through the Nintendo site. I would be able to borrow a Wii to play this, but I would much prefer to emulate it through my desktop. Any good goonfellows doing this that could help a brother out?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Just spent seven hours or so playing Xenoblade, and I must say I haven't enjoyed a JRPG this much since Persona 4. I'd been considering buying this since it was released here last year, and all the goon hype for the US release finally sealed the deal. Loving the game so far.

Really should have picked up a Classic Controller along with it, though. The wiimote+nunchuk combo is serviceable enough, but controlling the camera is rather awkward and selecting arts can be pretty drat frustrating when you've got a bunch of monsters trying to eat your face off.
Check the Dolphin thread. There are Xenoblade specific builds patched to alleviate audio problems when using HLE audio. There are even mods for Xenoblade like FPS patches and texture packs.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Preordered through the Nintendo site. I would be able to borrow a Wii to play this, but I would much prefer to emulate it through my desktop. Any good goonfellows doing this that could help a brother out?
You need a Wii to dump the game disc to your HDD unless you plan on trying to play it directly on disc. (it will run like rear end)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The music that plays when you get in a fight with Unique Mobs is so loving metal.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
Picked this up on recommendations. Didin't even realize it was coming out.

I played for about an hour, and spent way too much time running around...havent even done the first mission when you get to the colony. .Ran into a level 72 guy who attacked my face to death.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Gyoru posted:

You need a Wii to dump the game disc to your HDD unless you plan on trying to play it directly on disc. (it will run like rear end)

Is there an easy way to do this or am I going to have to follow one of these billion step guides using terms I don't understand? I doubt I'll ever rip a game for wii except for this one and it seems like such an undertaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seanightjar
Apr 1, 2011

Any information on when we can expect Nintendo to ship theirs?

This'll be my first JRPG and a few of my friends want to watch me pay through it.

• Locked thread