Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... drat, the story just yanked Melia away from me, too. That sounds awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Assuming it doesn't happen *again* in some place later than I am, she's back in like 30-60 minutes and then sticks around.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So my copy just came in the mail and I'm liking it so far! However I'm a little worried about doing all the side-quests. I noticed the OP mentions that I'll be overleveled if I do them all - will this make the game super easy? Will I miss out on tons of cool poo poo if I don't do many of them? Should I just stick with time-sensitive ones, or what?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Oh my god this game is good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads-up: any European dude who registers Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower (which came out today) on the NOE Club Nintendo page is eligible for a commemorative coin dealio:

Limited stock, first-come first-served. I wonder if they had this planned all along, or if it's a response to the whole Operation Rainfall thing. Hmm.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 13, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Heads-up: any European dude who registers Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower (which came out today) on the NOE Club Nintendo page is eligible for a commemorative coin dealio:

Limited stock, first-come first-served. I wonder if they had this planned all along, or if it's a response to the whole Operation Rainfall thing. Hmm.

This could be a great sign that all three games are planned for North America.

But then, it could also just be Nintendo trolling.

(What the hell is Pandora's Tower anyway? All I know is it was a part of this, and that getting it in NA would be a morale victory, if nothing else. :v: )

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
About to start the game, wondering about scaling. Do enemies scale to your level? Or can you become too overleveled if you do too many sidequests?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Cbouncerrun posted:

About to start the game, wondering about scaling. Do enemies scale to your level? Or can you become too overleveled if you do too many sidequests?

Enemies have fixed levels and you will become overleveled if you do every sidequest you possibly can. If you are more than 5 levels above an enemy, they become trivial.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
Here's a good way for level 38 characters on the way to the (mid-game location, unique enemy, quest goal spoiler warning) Prison Island seal area with lizards everywhere. Go to the mountain, running past all of the guys, and then focus on the lizards up top. Be absolutely sure to focus on one of the lizards at a time. I used Riki/Reyn/Shulk for this one. Trying to put someone in who isn't durable is disaster. After that, it will be far easier to beat the other lizards on bottom, if you even want to fight them. The unique one (Subterranean Zomar) is going to be nuts, even doing this.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 13, 2012

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

At what point do the Alcamoth quests get cut off? I'm about to go help out Melia at some tomb.

Happysafer
Feb 12, 2007

"You idiots!"
I bought this game, and I'm enjoying it, but I wanted to agree 100% with the Kotaku review. I don't get what the level of hype around this game is, and the giant pain in the rear end that is inventory management is really bringing down my enjoyment of the game.

It's nearly impossible to determine the best equipment for my characters, gem crafting is a chore that I don't even need to bother with,(there isn't way to upgrade gems, right?) and I've been pretty under leveled for every boss. I give 2 or 3 tries, realize I can't win, go back and grind out some sub quests and then kill the boss. Boring.

I do love the look of the game and the music is really sweet. I only bought the game because I was afraid I'd never be able to find it if I decided I wanted to play it later. I'd say give the game a shot if you're interested, but this isn't a must have game by any stretch.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

OmegaZultan posted:

At what point do the Alcamoth quests get cut off? I'm about to go help out Melia at some tomb.

You are a long ways away from the point where they get cutoff. Vague description of the cutoff point: When you have to activate a teleporter in an abandoned city by activating 4 pillars, entering that teleporter is essentially the cutoff point for the Alcamoth quests.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 13, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

evilalien posted:

Enemies have fixed levels and you will become overleveled if you do every sidequest you possibly can. If you are more than 5 levels above an enemy, they become trivial.

But if you're more than one or two levels below an enemy's level they'll probably wipe the floor with you unless you have some flawless strategy.

VV This is coming from my early experiences with the game. The named rabbit-thing that someone sends you to kill in Colony 9 whipped my rear end and it was only two levels above me (8 vs 6). Then again I only had two party members at the time, I've been meaning to exact some revenge now that I'm a higher level.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 13, 2012

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

C-Euro posted:

But if you're more than one or two levels below an enemy's level they'll probably wipe the floor with you unless you have some flawless strategy.

I can't say I ever had that issue. Taking on anything up to 5 levels above you should be doable though maybe not in large groups.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I was just going to say that I wish the game would do a better job encouraging you to take on stuff higher leveled than you. I can't seem to beat anything more than two levels above me when I try. But maybe I'm doing something wrong. I should tinker with my strategies a bit. I love doing stuff I'm not "supposed" to do in games.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Kawalimus posted:

I love doing stuff I'm not "supposed" to do in games.

Speaking of which, at what point can (midgame character)Melia reliably ring overleveled douchebag enemies out with (ability)Spear Break? I've tried to do it on several occasions and I haven't been able to get enough pushback to do that. Does she need another ability to combo it with for the best pushback, or does the art need to be leveled more? Also, which locations are best for that on Bionis?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kawalimus posted:

I was just going to say that I wish the game would do a better job encouraging you to take on stuff higher leveled than you. I can't seem to beat anything more than two levels above me when I try. But maybe I'm doing something wrong. I should tinker with my strategies a bit. I love doing stuff I'm not "supposed" to do in games.

There's an achievement for beating something that is exactly 10 levels above you.
Also your characters wonder if you're insane for taking on something way stronger than you. That's a good reward.
Plus, high-leveled enemies drop awesome loot.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

deepshock posted:

Speaking of which, at what point can (midgame character)Melia reliably ring overleveled douchebag enemies out with (ability)Spear Break? I've tried to do it on several occasions and I haven't been able to get enough pushback to do that. Does she need another ability to combo it with for the best pushback, or does the art need to be leveled more? Also, which locations are best for that on Bionis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_uF_Lbs1lE

You should be able to recognize the location on the leg from that video. I really don't recommend you do that too much though as being overleveled really sucks the fun out of the game. It also kills the amount of SP you get making skill acquisition a lot slower.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 13, 2012

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I've typically been fine for levels, without overmuch sidequesting (basically just pick up what I come across and let things auto-complete when they auto-complete), just going from Plot Point A to Plot Point B and killing anything aggressive in between rather than just running past screaming, and those will usually be no more than 3 levels above or below me.

If even 3 levels higher are giving you problems, either switch to ether damage or pump up your agility to boost your accuracy and evasion (which is the main reason higher level enemies are a pain: you don't dodge them much and you miss them a lot). Even if you can't be bothered with gem crafting, collectopaedia coughs up a fair few free gems to keep you not-completely-incompetent. And it's not like you'll need those collectibles as much if you're not sidequesting.

6th/4th/1st is my usual go-to party, though I sometimes boot one of them for 3rd for bosses. (Not always: 6th and 1st can often keep up with the healing.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dying in this game is not a huge deal either, so if you get railed by an overleveled monster you have a few minutes of backtracking at most as a penalty. Final Fantasy VI actually did the "keep your EXP if you die" trick before but Xenoblade also lets you keep drops, collectibles and finished quests. It's awesome.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Calaveron posted:

There's an achievement for beating something that is exactly 10 levels above you.
Also your characters wonder if you're insane for taking on something way stronger than you. That's a good reward.
Plus, high-leveled enemies drop awesome loot.

Yeah I noticed that in the achievements list. They don't penalize you for dying which is great but I was just thinking I wouldn't have a shot so why bother. But I'll give it a try next time I fire it up.

It's funny cause there's some abilities that give extra exp but I would consider putting on one that reduced it!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Dying in this game is not a huge deal either, so if you get railed by an overleveled monster you have a few minutes of backtracking at most as a penalty. Final Fantasy VI actually did the "keep your EXP if you die" trick before but Xenoblade also lets you keep drops, collectibles and finished quests. It's awesome.
Some of the features make no goddamn sense from a story perspective. Fall of the edge of the world and die? Keep your exp and respawn. It took like 10 days to get to the top of the Bionis' leg? Warp back in a second. Too late in the day? gently caress it, wind back the sun.

But ALL THESE FEATURES ARE AWESOME. I just think it's funny how you couldn't possibly justify any of these things with regards to the story/setting.

Also, in the forest level, there's big (jump into the) river that ends in a waterfall that flows right off the edge of the world. And as you get closer, the current picks up. I felt so bad as my characters swam against the current in a futile effort to stave off (temporary) death :(

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Do achievements carry over to different game files/new game plus?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

For the former, pretty sure game files are independent of each other. For the latter, I believe records (e.g. "kill X enemies of Y type" or "use N arts") carry over, and trials (e.g. "discover Z landmarks") do not because you redo those.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I was in Satorl Marsh when I was given the quest to kill the unique giant bird mob . Unfortunately I'd killed it on the way to get the quest since I didn't know any better. How long does it take for unique mobs to respawn?

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Karthe posted:

I was in Satorl Marsh when I was given the quest to kill the unique giant bird mob . Unfortunately I'd killed it on the way to get the quest since I didn't know any better. How long does it take for unique mobs to respawn?

Save in the area where it spawns and keep reloading. They all respawn by the 4th reload on average I've found.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Happysafer posted:

I bought this game, and I'm enjoying it, but I wanted to agree 100% with the Kotaku review. I don't get what the level of hype around this game is, and the giant pain in the rear end that is inventory management is really bringing down my enjoyment of the game.

It's nearly impossible to determine the best equipment for my characters, gem crafting is a chore that I don't even need to bother with,(there isn't way to upgrade gems, right?) and I've been pretty under leveled for every boss. I give 2 or 3 tries, realize I can't win, go back and grind out some sub quests and then kill the boss. Boring.

I do love the look of the game and the music is really sweet. I only bought the game because I was afraid I'd never be able to find it if I decided I wanted to play it later. I'd say give the game a shot if you're interested, but this isn't a must have game by any stretch.

That Kotaku review is a loving heap. YES you should do Gem crafting, jesus christ. Just shoot for 200 or 300% instead of 100%, you will be so glad you did it. MEGA-HEAT, my friend. Also "Failure" in gem crafting is the key to success.

As far as equipment goes, Blue numbers Good. Red number Bad. You maybe have to count the numbers a little bit? The tank should probably have high physical defense? More slots is mo' better usually? It is pretty simple, its not like you are calculating out some kind of dps formula. This weapon does more damage, this one has more block or slots or something, which is better for what you want your guy to do?

You realize you can sort your inventory in a whole bunch of ways right? Default view is based on WHEN you got stuff, so the old trash is always at the back of the list. Find the point where old lovely gear starts and just mash A to sell all the crappy old bunnit crystals (only inv section that ever fills up for me really) you have, armor/weaponry is easy to keep track of and sell too, but then I'm always looking at whatever new crap I got from monsters.

I'm also not sure how you are underleveled, I'm like 15 levels above the monsters where I am in the story right now. Did you do any quests? I mean if you think of quests as just "grinding out" levels, and you're just breezing through areas without lending a hand to anybody (doing quests raises your affinity in an area), yeah you might end up underleveled maybe?

I suppose if you skipped hunting down every interesting unique monster, ignored every quest, and dodged around all the monsters you possibly could, yes you would be underleveled. But that just sounds like trying to blitz the whole game just for the story, like you are taking a hammer to the tasty candy outer shell and licking up the gooey sweet center.

Karthe posted:

Save then load near the place he hangs out. Save + Load respawns all the critters in an area including the unique mobs (usually, sometimes they refuse to spawn once or twice) Also that monster is only around in the daytime

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Karthe posted:

Save your game next to the spawn point, then load that save until he spawns again.

e: wow beaten hard

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Karthe posted:

If you fast travel to another region and then fast travel back, it should respawn all the monsters. Certain uniques will only show up during certain times of day though, so you might need to fiddle with the clock after traveling back to the unique from the nearest landmark.

"CodfishCartographer posted:

So my copy just came in the mail and I'm liking it so far! However I'm a little worried about doing all the side-quests. I noticed the OP mentions that I'll be overleveled if I do them all - will this make the game super easy? Will I miss out on tons of cool poo poo if I don't do many of them? Should I just stick with time-sensitive ones, or what?

You can get overleveled on quests, but some of them may require fighting high-level mobs, so if you're having trouble beating a quest enemy that's a pretty good sign you should move on. Alternatively, just take note of your affinity star level for the current quest region, and don't try to go over what seems appropriate for how far you are in the game. And you can always go back and finish all the early quests later in the game when the experience reward is less significant.

Kawalimus posted:

What point in the game are you? Near the very end of the game I was regularly fighting enemies 6-10 levels higher than me by using Melia, Riki, and Sharla. Mostly because ether attacks are more accurate, especially for Melia.

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 13, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zombie Defiler posted:

As far as equipment goes, Blue numbers Good. Red number Bad. You maybe have to count the numbers a little bit? The tank should probably have high physical defense? More slots is mo' better usually? It is pretty simple, its not like you are calculating out some kind of dps formula. This weapon does more damage, this one has more block or slots or something, which is better for what you want your guy to do?

I think what he's referring to is the fact that the equipment menu shows you which stats are going up or down...but not by how much. If you could easily see before and after stats it'd be a lot better, but for now I just ask myself if there's more blue than red when I highlight a given piece of equipment.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Is there any way to get the Pandora Mushroom away from the spider in the Windy Cave without walking? I'm playing on an emulator, so I can't really tilt the stick to walk, so I'm just curious if there's another solution besides coming back and fighting something level 70+

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

PurplieNurplie posted:

Is there any way to get the Pandora Mushroom away from the spider in the Windy Cave without walking? I'm playing on an emulator, so I can't really tilt the stick to walk, so I'm just curious if there's another solution besides coming back and fighting something level 70+

Didja try baiting it away by throwing a rock yet?

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Yeah, but I don't think I can run past it once it de-aggros and beat it to the shinies. I'll give it a shot, though.

EDIT: Never mind, threw, ran into the cave, and ran back around it and got it. Boy, the AI in this game is pretty exploitable.

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 13, 2012

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

C-Euro posted:

I think what he's referring to is the fact that the equipment menu shows you which stats are going up or down...but not by how much. If you could easily see before and after stats it'd be a lot better, but for now I just ask myself if there's more blue than red when I highlight a given piece of equipment.

While I agree having a little number saying up by 12 or down by 30 would be helpful, it isn't THAT big of a deal to move the cursor UP one space to read your normal stats, round the numbers, then look at the stat changes. Or only just look at the hundreds and tens places on the numbers. The guy said "Nearly impossible" like it was some insurmountable task, which is just bullshit.

Now heres a weird thing; the game favors high end damage over low end damage (opposite from my preferences), so sometimes I have to double check those red numbers to see if they are really "bad" for me. Attack stability gem Vs Attack plus gems do this for example.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PurplieNurplie posted:

Yeah, but I don't think I can run past it once it de-aggros and beat it to the shinies. I'll give it a shot, though.

I'm pretty sure there are gems that increase your stealth. Though... I'm not sure if they decrease your aggro just in battle or in the field as well.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Most of the time with armor it makes sense to go with weaker sets that have more gem slots than those that don't, so relying exclusively on the BLUE NUMBERS GOOD mentality isn't always the best course of action.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Louisgod posted:

Most of the time with armor it makes sense to go with weaker sets that have more gem slots than those that don't, so relying exclusively on the BLUE NUMBERS GOOD mentality isn't always the best course of action.

Furthermore, sometimes the armour with the best stats look terrible on your character. So you often have to sacrifice your stats in order to properly accessorize and look like a badass.

Yes, I do this. :colbert:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Blind Sally posted:

Furthermore, sometimes the armour with the best stats look terrible on your character. So you often have to sacrifice your stats in order to properly accessorize and look like a badass.

Yes, I do this. :colbert:

Kinda made me sad that (at least for me) Shulk's best armor was just so bland and bleh. poo poo should've been colorful and extreme and awesome.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
My game finally arrived so time to see what the fuss is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Same for me. can't wait for 4 PM when I get to play it!

Games > Xenoblade Chronicles - (Jump in the) Thread

• Locked thread