Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Souai
Dec 16, 2007
Wii system updating time to go see if my blind preorder and time scheduling was worth it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
God drat the GB quick look makes this look like a straight-up must-buy. Like they said, 'a JRPG that "gets it"'... that's a great tagline. So, question.

How must motion control is there? Not that I have any problem with it, but if I play it on my PC for HD goodness, I can't use my wiimote since I have no bluetooth. Will I be able to get by with keyboard alone?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

There is no motion control whatsoever.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Well, I picked up the game, have to swing by later today for the art book as it hadn't arrived yet. The Gamestop guy was actually pretty cool, he imported the EU copy and was just as excited to see the NA release. We chatted a bit about that and The Last Story, which I might also end up getting later. Do we know whether or not that is preorder only?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

If someone who did do the Gamestop preorder was only mildly interested in the artbook, I'll pay money for a copy. Never mind, it was already being sold on eBay. :v:

I went in to ask if they'd sell me one anyway, and the girl said that no one even knew where they were. Yeah, way to distribute stuff, Nintendo. So I just bought a copy of Dark Souls to tide myself over. :emo:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 6, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mazed posted:

If someone who did do the Gamestop preorder was only mildly interested in the artbook, I'll pay money for a copy. :v:

I went in to ask if they'd sell me one anyway, and the girl said that no one even knew where they were. Yeah, way to distribute stuff, Nintendo. So I just bought a copy of Dark Souls to tide myself over. :emo:

I didn't even know there was an art book bonus for preorders.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

It's here! I hope it's as good as the internet has promised.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
By the way, what did the reversible cover end up being for the US version?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got my copy from Gamestop (even through I forgot to pre-order). Fricking Other M didn't trade for poo poo as I hoping, but at least one bad games leads to one good game. I want to play it on the Wii, but am kinda tempted to try the Dolphin.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

By the way, what did the reversible cover end up being for the US version?

It's the same as the art book cover.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

So I preordered this like 2 days ago and got the artbook with it somehow still?

Not that I'm complaining but, I guess they lied.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
Well, even though I'm basically broke after the Vita launch, I still picked up my copy today. JRPGs are essentially genre non grata to me these days, so the promise of something unique and interesting was too much to resist. The last couple hours of work are gonna be torture.

I guess I can decide whether to dust off the Wii or get it running in Dolphin to enjoy that sweet 1080p goodness.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Zereth posted:

Does anybody have any non-spoilery tips for starting out?

Read the hints and tips that pop up early on. There's a number of subtle things that go on, especially in combat, that are good to know and aren't immediately obvious.

Also, don't stress if you can't kill every enemy in an area before moving on--come back later or wait for New Game +. There are level 90+ creatures in just about every area.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Volt Catfish posted:

I think that may just have been for online orders. If you ordered it in-store, and snuck in under the number of books they were getting, then you got it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Volt Catfish posted:

You probably got someone who pre-ordered before you's art book before they got off of work to pick it up... huzzah!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My GameStop didn't get any artbooks, what the hell?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

zenintrude posted:

You probably got someone who pre-ordered before you's art book before they got off of work to pick it up... huzzah!

Well I sure hope not, that would make me feel like a massive dick.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

They seem to have a habit of misplacing preorder bonuses. I remember I did preorder Xenosaga 3 from them, which also came with an artbook, but they had trouble actually finding where they'd put the drat things.

If you can't get the clerk to dig around right there, my suggestion is to hang onto your receipt and head back in a few days. It seems they're misplacing shipments left and right.

Also, if anyone else who preordered from Nintendo.com gets any info on just what the hell "on backorder" actually means (a mistake? a delay? how long?), please share that information with us. :sigh:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Here's a scan of the artbook cover, I think it's a really cool picture.

http://route-20.tumblr.com/post/20595979954/thanks-operation-rainfall

EDIT: the artbook itself is really lame though, you're not missing much if you didn't get it.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I've never pre-ordered from Gamestop before -- do you generally have to wait for them to call you that your order is indeed in stock on launch day, or could I head over there and grab it?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

MrChupon posted:

I've never pre-ordered from Gamestop before -- do you generally have to wait for them to call you that your order is indeed in stock on launch day, or could I head over there and grab it?

Just call the store and see if it's in, they usually send a text message to the phone number you used to preorder.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I got an artbook, even though I didn't preorder (from GS...) until March 30th. I just said I knew about the supposed cutoff date, but it never hurts to ask. Apparently the store I went to got one artbook, and he said I could have it since according to their system, I was the first preorder :).

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

MrChupon posted:

Try calling the store and asking if it's in. I've both had no call and the game is there and had no call because the game wasn't there yet. Better than wasting a trip over there.

I'm trying to call the store right now and they're not picking up.

Just got ahold of them and yep, no call no text no email, but the game is in!

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 6, 2012

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

For some reason I always thought you were stuck with the English voice actors, it's nice to see the option to use the original Japanese/subtitles. This game is blowing my mind so far, I've only just started but it's clearly something special.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Hypothetical question: if you started a game on an imported copy using Gecko or some other region hack and then loaded the North American version through the disc channel, would you be able to continue your game?

d0s posted:

For some reason I always thought you were stuck with the English voice actors, it's nice to see the option to use the original Japanese/subtitles.
Don't do this, though. They don't put up subtitles for the in-fight banter.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Chaltab posted:

Hypothetical question: if you started a game on an imported copy using Gecko or some other region hack and then loaded the North American version through the disc channel, would you be able to continue your game?

With just popping the disc and and going to continue, I'm not seeing my old save data. Wonder if there will be a fix shortly since it'd be cool to NG+ with the NA copy just because.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
Just got back from my Gamestop with the game and artbook. Although he seemed aware of the game's hype, the clerk didn't know there was an artbook until I asked him to check. So, like everyone else has probably said, make sure you mention the artbook. It's not super awesome or anything but it's a nice piece of tchotchke if nothing else.

Picked up a Classic Controller Pro as well. Would have preferred to save ten extra bucks and gotten the Classic Controller, but there were none in my area.

Now I shall proceed to let the game languish unopened in the vicinity of the Wii and forget about it for the next couple days/weeks.

...nah, I'll probably play it tonight.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I just got this with the art book and got through the prologue bit. People weren't kidding when they said this was like FFXII...but feels better somehow.

I'm playing on an SD TV though so the text is hard to read. :( I was worried that would happen. I find it weird that it would happen on a Wii game. Is this game running at a higher resolution than your average Wii game or something?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Picked up my copy today as well. I'm really excited to fire up the wii, a feeling I haven't had for a good while now.

As a bonus, registering the game put me at platinum this year on club Nintendo, too. Yay for that.

Goons, I swear, if you're lying to me about this...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Chaltab posted:

Don't do this, though. They don't put up subtitles for the in-fight banter.

The japanese audio also sounds painfully generic and silly, at least to my non-japanese ears. I usually choose the japanese audio, too, but in this case it's just not the right choice.

Also, i just passed the story mission in perpetual rainy storm on a big floaty rock (you know what i mean) and drat, that was awesome. Despite all the premonitions giving me a really good idea of what was to come and the "huge twist" they more or less completely gave away, the whole scene was just so well executed. And there were still some things that blindsided me.

Metal face :aaa: Why didn't i notice earlier?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

HenryEx posted:

Also, i just passed the story mission in perpetual rainy storm on a big floaty rock (you know what i mean) and drat, that was awesome. Despite all the premonitions giving me a really good idea of what was to come and the "huge twist" they more or less completely gave away, the whole scene was just so well executed. And there were still some things that blindsided me.

Metal face :aaa: Why didn't i notice earlier?

I just did this as well. If I had known this game had giant cockney hammer robots I would have imported it a year ago.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Picked up mine today, although the manager apparently wasn't aware of the art books -- had to prompt him to go back in the rear storage whatever so he could bring mine out.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I blindly pre-ordered this game based on the April 6th sticky. I'm only a couple of hours in and holy poo poo, it's pretty amazing. The story is has me hooked already, the english voiceovers are surprisingly good, the music rules, and the battle system is fluid and tons of fun. I had never even heard of this game till I read about it on SA - thank you for recommending this wonderful game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If the USPS package tracker is to be believed, my copy was in a mail center one hour away from me approximately 90 minutes ago :dance: I wasn't expecting to actually get the game today and I'm having company this weekend, but if it's already here then hot drat.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
This game is fantastic but it sure does look worse and worse the bigger the screen you try to play it on. My huge rear end nice TV doesn't do the game justice. Too lazy to move the Wii to my small 32 or 22 sets in other places though so I will :dealwithit:

It's amazing how quickly time goes if you just mill about exploring, doing quests, gathering things and taking down the unique monsters. Plus there's that whole "plot" thing waiting in the wings.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

frosteh posted:

I blindly pre-ordered this game based on the April 6th sticky. I'm only a couple of hours in and holy poo poo, it's pretty amazing. The story is has me hooked already, the english voiceovers are surprisingly good, the music rules, and the battle system is fluid and tons of fun. I had never even heard of this game till I read about it on SA - thank you for recommending this wonderful game.

Yay, this is what I like to hear. Keep the impressions coming!

Also, Nintendo store orders are shipping today.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I had no clue about the art book so that was a pleasant surprise when I picked up my pre-order! Too bad I have to go work now so I can't play it yet :(

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Purple D. Link posted:

I'm playing on an SD TV though so the text is hard to read. :( I was worried that would happen. I find it weird that it would happen on a Wii game. Is this game running at a higher resolution than your average Wii game or something?

I think "hard to read" is a bit of an understatement. I tried playing it on my good old CRT and the text was so blurry that it was literally illegible. And I tried playing it on my HDTV and it was an unplayable, motion blurry mess. I've only got Composite cables right now since I never found a good set of component cables that didn't cost an unreasonable amount.

Even better, my capture card for my PC doesn't seem to work anymore, so I have literally no way to play this game I just bought.

I have no idea at this point if I should deal with the game being unreadable, or pay ANOTHER 20$ to see if component cables will make the game playable on my HDTV.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I have no idea at this point if I should deal with the game being unreadable, or pay ANOTHER 20$ to see if component cables will make the game playable on my HDTV.

If you spend $20 on component cables, you're spending about five times too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Wii component cables, while not Nintendo branded, are literally $5 on amazon right now. I got my Energizer set for, like, $7 at a Wal-Mart. It's not that hard.

• Locked thread