Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Get your component on... $4.18 shipped Prime fast to your face: http://www.amazon.com/Component-AV-Cable-Nintendo-Wii-HDTV/dp/B000MTVWAQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1333742375&sr=8-7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

"Let's spend $90 for a robo-puppy who will follow me and play with me and love me forever!"

The dog just walks around and sleeps all day. It won't even play fetch. What kind of dog won't play fetch?
It's funny, when I tried FFXII, I got completely bored by the combat system and gave up after like five hours in. Here, I play the game for a few hours at a time, and during the moments when I'm not playing I'm thinking about this game: reflecting on what just happened during the last main quest parts, how am I going to tackle the next part of the main quest, what sidequests I'm going to finish... :shepface:

It's fantastic so far. The combat is smooth and engaging and so easy to pick up, the music is just lovely, and the characters aren't at all annoying! Even Shulk!

Although some of the names are a little silly, but that's okay.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Gee I'm so happy my copy and classic controller are sitting in my trunk while I'm at work for another four hours fuuuuuuck

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares
Seems like my Wii doesn't want to read dual layered discs. Is the "lens cleaning kit" the only solution, or can I used a vacuum/compressed air. This is a 3 or 4 year old Wii, I just didn't do my homework before I brought it home. :(

Edit: This worked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX_29G6DZQE

I was weary of doing something like it, but seeing as the Wii gets turned on for maybe 2 games a year, I didn't really care. It didn't work until I turned the console on and did it, but YMMV. Be careful.

SaxMaverick fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 6, 2012

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Yeah I've been searching around and it looks like component cables are what I need. I ended up ordering these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M4KIME/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details for less than $6, and they have good reviews. I've been meaning to get component cables for my Wii for a long time anyway.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Okay well I asked about buying some online before any nobody could confirm any of them are actually decent quality. After buying 3rd party cables for 360 and finding out they had absolutely 0 shielding I'm a little more careful about them these days! :I

But like I said, I dunno if they will even make it playable on this TV or not. How sensitive is this game to lag really? Because this TV does not upscale without a lot of it. :/

(Also I checked Walmart and they don't carry them at all anymore. NOBODY in the area seems to actually, Gamestop doesn't even list them in their system anymore.)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Bastard Tetris posted:

Gee I'm so happy my copy and classic controller are sitting in my trunk while I'm at work for another four hours fuuuuuuck

I'm happy that I ordered online and opted for a "better" shipping speed. My copy won't be here by Teusday, and people who used free shipping already seem to have it. Yaaaay!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

As I expected, my computer (AMD Phenom II X4 2.80 GHz, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD4890) is too lovely to run Xenoblade on Dolphin at more than 15 frames per second. This hardware can handle PS2 emulation at high frame rates pretty nicely, but looks like Dolphin is simply too much. That, or I need to gently caress around with the settings some more. :arghfist::saddowns:

Guess I'll head out to Gamestop tomorrow and trade in some old games to get that classic controller, I want to play this thing with a decent gamepad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Giant Bomb has a Quicklook up and I really want to watch it despite my self-imposed info embargo on this game. Should I watch it anyway?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So it seems a lot of the team of past Xeno-games is behind this, and I'm looking over the characters in the main post again (and wishing Nintendo would mail me my video game). For those playing now: Does this Dunban guy give off Citan/Jin-type vibes? Dignified-looking slightly more mature guy with a katana and military background.

I wonder if he also turns out to be a dick of grand magnitude like ol' Doc. :allears:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Giant Bomb has a Quicklook up and I really want to watch it despite my self-imposed info embargo on this game. Should I watch it anyway?

It's only 25 minutes and they don't actually see any major cutscenes or battles. It wasn't that entertaining, but it's not going to spoil anything besides one location.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah the quick looks generally shows off the battle system in a location later in the game, but doesn't spoil anything at all. It's probably worth watching to see the elements of the game in action.

By the way, do you have to return to a person to complete a quest? I completed a quest in town and it told me I got the reward for it already.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Rirse posted:

By the way, do you have to return to a person to complete a quest? I completed a quest in town and it told me I got the reward for it already.
Usually you don't. I've had one quest where I needed to fix someone's watch and bring it back to them, but all the "bring me 10 bear asses" style fetch quests are auto-completed once you've killed enough monsters.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Slight early game spoiler Poor Colonel Mustache

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Rirse posted:

They mention in the QL that you don't have to return to quest givers to get rewards.

Looks like the nintendo.com orders are going out. That backordered status had me worried.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I've found you have to return to NPC's for quests that are more than "kill x monsters in the field" But with the instant fast travel and time manipulation the hardest thing is remembering where they were and what time they appear.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Len posted:

Slight early game spoiler Poor Colonel Mustache

Minor note to this spoiler that the townsfolk give away almost immediately after that sequence: dude's just in the hospital.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
How do I activate a chain attack? I know I have to have all three member bars filled before doing so, but once this happens I have no idea what to do next. I see the lines connecting all of my party members but there's no prompt to set it off. I re-read the in-game tutorial on it but it wasn't of much help.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mazed posted:

So it seems a lot of the team of past Xeno-games is behind this, and I'm looking over the characters in the main post again (and wishing Nintendo would mail me my video game). For those playing now: Does this Dunban guy give off Citan/Jin-type vibes? Dignified-looking slightly more mature guy with a katana and military background.

I wonder if he also turns out to be a dick of grand magnitude like ol' Doc. :allears:

Dunban to me was Shanks from one piece. Whats Citan/Jin from?

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 6, 2012

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Karthe posted:

How do I activate a chain attack? I know I have to have all three member bars filled before doing so, but once this happens I have no idea what to do next. I see the lines connecting all of my party members but there's no prompt to set it off. I re-read the in-game tutorial on it but it wasn't of much help.

Press up on the middle art to select the chain attack :3:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Junkie Disease posted:

Xenogears/Xenosaga, respectively.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C-Euro posted:

My god, that was annoying. What is the point of walking around in circles while they talk?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Picked this up and played a few hours today. The combat is great, and the soundtrack is wonderful so far.

I keep getting my rear end handed to me by the unique monsters on the way to Mag Mell. I did manage to take out both Singing Bro-whatevers and 4 Bunnivs that aggroed, hot drat that was intense.

One minor thing I noticed is that the game could seriously use some more anti-aliasing, other than that the visuals are great.

Crux
Apr 9, 2007

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry...

Sorry.
Man. My Gamestop only had two art books. I got the first one by virtue of showing up just after opening. I just spent the past six and a half hours grinding around and doing quests and stuff and oh my God it has been hard to stop playing.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

This is a really dumb question for someone 35 hours in, but what exactly does the ether stat DO? Since there's no mana in this game, is it just a fancy way to say "magic attack"? then why does Rheyn, who doesn't use any ether arts whatsoever, have it?

Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

Just picked this up from Gamestop. I didn't preorder but they seemed to have plenty of copies available so if anyone missed the pre-order boat there is a decent chance your local Gamestop will have a copy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Daynab posted:

This is a really dumb question for someone 35 hours in, but what exactly does the ether stat DO? Since there's no mana in this game, is it just a fancy way to say "magic attack"? then why does Rheyn, who doesn't use any ether arts whatsoever, have it?

Check the type of skill you are using. It will be classified as either physical or magical that will scale off strength and ether respectively.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Check the type of skill you are using. It will be classified as either physical or magical that will scale off strength and ether respectively.

Oh cool. Thanks. And Agility is merely evasion?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Daynab posted:

Oh cool. Thanks. And Agility is merely evasion?

And hit.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Crux posted:

Man. My Gamestop only had two art books. I got the first one by virtue of showing up just after opening. I just spent the past six and a half hours grinding around and doing quests and stuff and oh my God it has been hard to stop playing.
poo poo, I forgot to mention to the shopkeep to give me my art book! NOOOO, ALL THAT ART THAT COULD'VE BEEN MINE!
I guess I'll just have to pray it's still there by next week when I pick up Spirit Camera.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I picked up my copy around noon, and judging by the banter the two clerks had, I was either the first to pick up a copy of the game or the only one that actually pre-ordered the game from that particular store. In any case, got the artbook without issue.

I also got an email from Nintendo stating that they shipped their copy today. One of my brothers dropped his idea of buying up two copies to flip later down the road, but the other wants my extra copy to keep, so it worked out in the end. So much for that whole "shipping at the end of the month" thing.

I'll have to play as much of this as I can before I get my copy of Super Robot Wars Z2-2 next week.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Got my copy about an hour ago with the neat art book. I can't scan it, but would be willing to upload phone camera shots of each page later if people are interested. I have no idea if it contains location or character spoilers as I haven't even opened the game to look at the manual. Just to be safe I would link the pictures instead of embedding them.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Levantine posted:

And hit.
Wait, so Agility affects your To Hit bonus? Geez, I've been using that as my dump stat the whole game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Picked mine up with the art book, looked like there may have been at least one loose copy to sell. I did have to ask about the book to get it though, so don't forget. Only got about 45 minutes in so far, but I'll post my impressions at the end of the weekend after I've put more time in.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Drove to GameStop twice today: once to pick up Xenoblade, and again to pick up the artbook. The clerk told me they hadn't gotten any artbooks, but called me an hour later to correct himself -- which was gracious of him, except I had just gotten home. :doh:

I've played about an hour of it. It's really giving me a "Final Fantasy XII, but better" vibe, and I loved Final Fantasy XII.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I picked up my copy from Gamestop today. Thankfully, the clerk was actually pretty competent and knew all about the art books beforehand. He nearly got me to pre-order The Last Story. Almost.

Glenn posted:

I've played about an hour of it. It's really giving me a "Final Fantasy XII, but better" vibe, and I loved Final Fantasy XII.

I at the same point now and getting the exact same vibe. And I dreaded playing XII. A couple simple design choices make a whole lot of difference.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Chaltab posted:

Wait, so Agility affects your To Hit bonus? Geez, I've been using that as my dump stat the whole game.

Yeah, Agi lets you hit much higher level monsters than without. It's pretty necessary for Dunban in general, Shulk benefits highly and the 7th party member is an AGI machine. I always kept the highest level AGI gems around for the purposes of fighting high level stuff.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I kind of liked Final Fantasy XII (what I've played of it) more than what I've played of Xenoblade. I think it's mostly because in the former, I could really make each character my own in terms of weapon proficiencies and magical talents, while all the Xenoblade characters are locked into a single weapon type and get all skills on a predetermined list.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Junkie Disease posted:

Oh, that's cool then.

Those previous games featured a dude with a very similar look to him, so I figured it was another call-back. In 'gears he was some kind of ambiguous "doctor" and also sort of a dick (though it may not have been intentional to write him that way) and a completely broken character in combat, and 'saga he was a generally inoffensive bookworm type, and not quite as broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Dunban gives me a Kamina vibe, personally. :kamina:

• Locked thread