Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

I love Riki's motivation for joining you (at least the one he cites when first joining the party), that he's in deep with the loan sharks and is "volunteering" to go along. But he has so many littlepons to feed :3:

And then, after he holds up his end of the bargain, it turns out she'd been using the family's charge card while he was away! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yeah, Riki is a pretty interesting character; I like when they find out he's actually forty years old, and has raised a bunch of children already. And the Nopon pretty much play stupid and have managed to infiltrate every society by playing up their cute/inoffensive nature, but play it coy so homs can be surprised at entia and vice versa.. Plus the fact there's a whole questline surrounding a secret Nopon -->drug<-- lab in the middle of the woods.

Moogles don't have poo poo on Nopon.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Chronojam posted:

Yeah, Riki is a pretty interesting character; I like when they find out he's actually forty years old, and has raised a bunch of children already

This whole scene just reeked of :3: to me.

Chronojam posted:

Moogles don't have poo poo on Nopon.

You take that back :mad:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

This whole scene just reeked of :3: to me.

Are moogles sneaky? Do they run drug labs under the guise of being adorable? Is Riki a moogle? No? :smug:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Leal posted:

For real, when I first saw the nopon in the first town, I was rolling my eyes a little bit and said, "Welp, looks like we've met this RPG's moogles."

Then as the plot went on I found out how insidious those little bastards are. Have you actually looked at what their quests are compared to the other races, and compared to the kinds of "deliver mail kupo!" quests that Moogles give you? It's like you're working for the mob if you don't just glance past the cutesy sounding words to the objectives immediately.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chronojam posted:

Then as the plot went on I found out how insidious those little bastards are. Have you actually looked at what their quests are compared to the other races, and compared to the kinds of "deliver mail kupo!" quests that Moogles give you? It's like you're working for the mob if you don't just glance past the cutesy sounding words to the objectives immediately.

My favorite Nopons are the alcoholic ones that send you on quests to either get brewing ingredients or to look for gimmick anti-drinking remedies.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
My favorite nopon is the little kid who tries to push his/her mom down the tree the whole game without the mom realizing it.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
I just beat this game, what was going on with the ending?

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Nighteyedie posted:

My guess? They wanted to make it into a series. Maybe they still do! The first one wasn't very successful in Japan, but Monolith is making a WiiU RPG right now, so maybe.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
As silly as it sounds, one of my incentives to get a Wii U yesterday was to play this. Something was up with my Wii's lens that kept making the game glitch at certain points making it impossible to progress.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

punchdaily posted:

My guess? They wanted to make it into a series. Maybe they still do! The first one wasn't very successful in Japan, but Monolith is making a WiiU RPG right now, so maybe.

Has any info come out yet on the Monolith WiiU project? Depending on what it is may determine how long I drag my feet on buying a WiiU.

Sucks to hear it wasn't successful in Japan. I can't imagine why, it beats the pants off anything Square-Enix has done in the past decade.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nighteyedie posted:

I think it was excellent, and gives it a loose connection to the universe Xenogears set up.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I think it was excellent, and gives it a loose connection to the universe Xenogears set up.

I guess it was a solid ending, but the whole Xenogears/Saga call back came from nowhere, and I'm not really sure how I feel about the world being created by some scientists and an AI

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

You got a better explanation? :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nighteyedie posted:

I guess it was a solid ending, but the whole Xenogears/Saga call back came from nowhere, and I'm not really sure how I feel about the world being created by some scientists and an AI

Under some subsets of string theory it is hypothetically possible to induce the creation of a new universe, which would technically make the person doing so a "god". You wouldn't actually be entering that universe yourself or probably interacting with it in any way whatsoever once it had kicked off, but at least it was an interesting way of explaining how Zanza became the Demiurge of this particular take on the gnostic creation myth (as opposed to being a sentient weapon of mass destruction or an omnipotent Space CEO / dimensional custodian).

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Nighteyedie posted:

Takahashi just loving loves his gnosticism in video game plots.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I just realized something about the ending. Major endgame spoilers:

Melia gets completely screwed by the end of the game. Her family was killed, each member in a horrific way, most of her people get wiped out, and to top it all off, she comes out alone. I mean, as soon as Fiora came back, Shulk never even acknowledged her. The last moment they have together is the scene before Mechonis Core, where she gets brushed off trying to cheer Shulk up while Fiora acts like an airhead and that works. She doesn't really get much development after that, either. And, if I recall correctly, she afterwords just speaks to everyone in her "queen" voice, where she doesn't show her emotions. It's all really :smith:.

Even in the ending cutscene, where everyone is happiliy rebuilding/fishing together, she is alone overlooking where her home used to be (the Bionis's head). The only person who visits her is Fiora, and only because she's looking for Shulk.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Average Bear posted:

I just realized something about the ending. Major endgame spoilers:

Melia gets completely screwed by the end of the game. Her family was killed, each member in a horrific way, most of her people get wiped out, and to top it all off, she comes out alone. I mean, as soon as Fiora came back, Shulk never even acknowledged her. The last moment they have together is the scene before Mechonis Core, where she gets brushed off trying to cheer Shulk up while Fiora acts like an airhead and that works. She doesn't really get much development after that, either. And, if I recall correctly, she afterwords just speaks to everyone in her "queen" voice, where she doesn't show her emotions. It's all really :smith:.

Even in the ending cutscene, where everyone is happiliy rebuilding/fishing together, she is alone overlooking where her home used to be (the Bionis's head). The only person who visits her is Fiora, and only because she's looking for Shulk.

* Ending, side quest, and H2H spoilers Well it's not all bad! At least her half-sister who hates her is still alive, and there's a very slight possibility her mother is alive as well. Nah, just kidding, it's still pretty :smith:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Renoistic posted:

* Ending, side quest, and H2H spoilers Well it's not all bad! At least her half-sister who hates her is still alive, and there's a very slight possibility her mother is alive as well. Nah, just kidding, it's still pretty :smith:
Speaking of that horrid relative, did anyone else laugh their goddamn rear end off when she flew away with her headwings at the end of that sidequest? It didn't help that she was so serious when she did it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Tupperwarez posted:

Speaking of that horrid relative, did anyone else laugh their goddamn rear end off when she flew away with her headwings at the end of that sidequest? It didn't help that she was so serious when she did it.

That was a bit... awkward. Plus I seem to recall High Entia saying they couldn't use those wings to fly

As for the ending, I too felt the same way about Melia. She was my favorite character for much of the game and while I was happy to see Fiora kind of alive and sort of well, it did result in Melia getting the official unrequited love shaft. And then the true purpose of her species is revealed and pretty much all of her family dies and... well like I earlier said, I would love to see her return in a sequel where she'd hopefully make out better. But I doubt that'll happen. Poor Melia. :sigh:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dammit, I come into this thread wanting to ask how to reach a couple spots in Valak Mountain and it's nothing but black bars :negative: I'm trying to finish this in a timely manner, I swear!

But yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to make that second ice slide jump above the Nopon research camp, and also how to get up to Valak Peak. Help?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Renoistic posted:

Seeing as Melia is 88 years old during the game, that is very unlikely.
:smith:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

C-Euro posted:

But yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to make that second ice slide jump above the Nopon research camp, and also how to get up to Valak Peak. Help?

I'm pretty sure quick step gems worked for me, so give those a try.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

C-Euro posted:

Get 25% in movement speed gems on your lead party member to make it easier, otherwise it's all down to timing. The peak itself is reached from a very long slide along the eastern side of the map's upper level, but you need the lava rock item to melt an ice wall before it's accessible.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Chaltab posted:

Seeing as Melia is 88 years old during the game, that is very unlikely.
:smith:

Man, I didn't think of that, since she herself says in a h2h that she will look for her mother after everything is over. I guess she didn't think that hard about it, either...

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

And all that time Sharla was encouraging her along and trying to help her before realization sets in, too.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I got spoiled about some fort of extra party member that joins your party 40 hours into the game? How bad did I get spoiled?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

WYA posted:

I got spoiled about some fort of extra party member that joins your party 40 hours into the game? How bad did I get spoiled?

If you don't have a name, not very much. It's pretty obvious as the story progresses anyway.

I actually misinterpreted some other information as a spoiler and thought the seventh party member was somebody other than who I expected and was rather disappointed. This made me extra happy with the actual result.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Chinston Wurchill posted:

If you don't have a name, not very much. It's pretty obvious as the story progresses anyway.

I actually misinterpreted some other information as a spoiler and thought the seventh party member was somebody other than who I expected and was rather disappointed. This made me extra happy with the actual result.

I hoped it was a Mechon, so I was alright with it, but I was really pulling for Xord. Some of his voice-overs are delightful, and he's just goddamned huge!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I hoped it was a Mechon, so I was alright with it, but I was really pulling for Xord. Some of his voice-overs are delightful, and he's just goddamned huge!

[unintelligible yelling]

All of his voice overs are delightful, especially coupled with everybody's reaction to them. He gets downright wistful at times.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Should I be trying to fight every possible creature I see? (ie. the planes you run through at the start)

Also apparently the story progresses on its own accord. Are there some things I'll want to do right away?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 19, 2012

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

WYA posted:

Should I be trying to fight every possible creature I see? (ie. the planes you run through at the start)

Also apparently the story progresses on its own accord. Are there some things I'll want to do right away?

It's not necessary but I killed a lot of stuff just because it was there. You should be at an appropriate level by just fighting what gets in your way and doing a few quests here and there.

If a sidequest has a clock beside it, that means it will no longer be accessible after a certain story point. Most of them have a pretty wide window, though.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This game is loving great, just really goddamn great. I'm only 3 hours in but I can tell I'm going to be enjoying it. So many quality of life things that are changed from the regular jrpg formula. Fast travel, non-terrible or embarrassing characters, solid voice acting. great combat... this list goes on. Well I guess this thread is full of raving, may as well add my 2 cents as someone who normally doesnt really like jrpgs.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

WYA posted:

The party member is generally refereed to as Seven to avoid spoilers.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Swilo posted:

Get 25% in movement speed gems on your lead party member to make it easier, otherwise it's all down to timing. The peak itself is reached from a very long slide along the eastern side of the map's upper level, but you need the lava rock item to melt an ice wall before it's accessible.

Is this the one that you have to climb along for five minutes as part of a quest?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

C-Euro posted:

Is this the one that you have to climb along for five minutes as part of a quest?

If it's the one I think we're talking about, it includes a lot of ice slides and a huge jump that is really hard to make without speed gems.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How do you go through more than one chain for each character? It said you could go around five times with a chain attack but its not obvious how to do this

edit: is it just me or is the main character's heal basically useless in the beginning with its cooldown and how little it does

edit2: Could someone explain to me what determines when you can do a heart to heart? When I click them it says 'i cannot see them yet'.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 19, 2012

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

WYA posted:

How do you go through more than one chain for each character? It said you could go around five times with a chain attack but its not obvious how to do this

Have high affinity between the characters. The higher it is the greater the chance the chain will continue. It won't happen much early in the game but later it'll become pretty common.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

WYA posted:

Could someone explain to me what determines when you can do a heart to heart? When I click them it says 'i cannot see them yet'.

For each Heart to Heart, you need to have the two involved characters in your active party, they need to be at or above a certain friendship level, you may need to progress the plot farther, and it may need to be a specific time of day. You probably can't see most of them from the get-go, but none of them are missable, so don't worry too much about it. There should be a menu somewhere with all of the HtH you have found so far listed, and I believe any that are currently available will be highlighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WYA posted:

edit2: Could someone explain to me what determines when you can do a heart to heart? When I click them it says 'i cannot see them yet'.

There's another factor involved here that hasn't been mentioned. The message that says you can't see them yet means one of two things - you don't yet have a character involved yet or you haven't reached the point in the story that it becomes available (since some of them directly reference events in the story it wouldn't make sense to have them only made available by affinity).

• Locked thread