Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

You can't really "prevent" an attack from happening really. It's going to happen no matter what, but what you can do is usually soften the blow or redirect so it's not an issue. For example, if it's going to hit Shulk, have Reyn use an ability that draws aggro towards him. If the attack is going to kill Reyn, then have him use a defensive move, or cure him so that he'll withstand the attack. If it's an ether art (The attack name will be white and usually have some number behind it) cue up your Monado shield for a no-damage hit. You can also try killing the enemy before the attack hits, not the best option, but do-able sometimes depending on when you get the vision.

You can prevent attacks: Topple/Daze an enemy, or just kill it as you said. That should shatter the vision.
Also, an ether art will show up in blue letters and the Mondao's shield does not defend against them; you'll have to use something like Melia's Reflect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

Hackan Slash posted:

I'm on the leg and have two questions.

1) Where can I turn in "A Thoughtful Idea" and "Thieving Monsters"? You actually have to talk to someone to do it, but they're not where I initially found them. In general, is there a way to put the quest marks on the map? It's annoying that they only pop when you're near them.

Go to your affinity menu and find the characters that you have to give the quests to, it will tell you what time those characters are active.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Hackan Slash posted:

Gem crafting, wtf? I understand the idea of creating them and getting heat status, but what teams should I be using and what does the speed up button really do? In other words, how do I get the most bonuses, fill up that green bar, or whatever else.

The speed up button does nothing except speed up the animation if you don't feel like watching the process, it doesn't affect the outcome. Once you've chosen your characters and set it running you have no further influence over what happens. You just have to choose the characters with the right abilities for what you want to do.

My usual method at the moment is to throw in crystals to get around 40 in 3 or 4 different qualities, put Sharla or Dunban on the left and Shulk on the right. They still have low affinity for me, so that lets me push those qualities up to around 80-90 without going over 100, and since Shulk is really good at the gentle flame (fills up the cylinder gauge), I usually get to take a cylinder for each quality. Once I have two cylinders with the same single quality at a high number each, I use Shulk on the left (high chance of fever) and Reyn on the right (good at strong flame, gives a large boost to a single quality) Their high affinity gives them around a dozen turns which is pretty much guaranteed to get Heat and give me a higher-rank gem.

Those four are all the characters I have so far, so I don't know what methods might be available later. I'm also going to be screwed if everyone ends up liking each other a lot. :v:

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Suaimhneas posted:

Those four are all the characters I have so far, so I don't know what methods might be available later. I'm also going to be screwed if everyone ends up liking each other a lot. :v:

These strats work great throughout the game. Later on when you have really high affinity, you have to start adding qualities you really don't give a drat about so that the ones you do don't break 100. The good thing is that with maxed affinity Shulk and Reyn can achieve mega heat even when starting from ~75 total so it becomes less of a hassle overall.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Ledneh posted:

Anyone?

While I'm asking questions, when fast traveling, to go between zones do you basically have to go to the edge of the current zone, walk over, repeat until at your destination, or is there something in the controls I'm missing?

Now sure if this has been answered (I didn't see it quoted!) but if you open the map by press 1 you can't fast travel out of the zone you're in, if you go into the map via the - menu you can switch between zones and fast teleport to anywhere you want.

Alvie
May 22, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Now sure if this has been answered (I didn't see it quoted!) but if you open the map by press 1 you can't fast travel out of the zone you're in, if you go into the map via the - menu you can switch between zones and fast teleport to anywhere you want.

Just to clarify, on a classic controller if you open the map with - you can't go to other areas, but you can from the x menu.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

evilalien posted:

Anywhere inside the circle is a success, but you are aiming for the outside edge for perfect timing. I'm not sure that perfect timing matters at all for chain attacks, but when the prompt comes up in the middle of battle, perfect timing will get you more affinity between party members.

If you're playing as Dunban, I'm pretty sure that perfect timing on all the circles makes his special Art do more damage.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Alvie posted:

Just to clarify, on a classic controller if you open the map with - you can't go to other areas, but you can from the x menu.

I've been playing with the Wiimote + Nunchuck cause I haven't used my Wii in three years and didn't think buying a classic controller for one game would be worth it... should I reconsider that decision? With the classic controller do you have to hold a button to pan the camera and/or change targets in battle? When I want to spin the camera in battle, I almost always hold Z (change target) instead of C (pan camera) and end up switching targets and spreading my damage too thin and getting my rear end kicked.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been playing with the Wiimote + Nunchuck cause I haven't used my Wii in three years and didn't think buying a classic controller for one game would be worth it... should I reconsider that decision? With the classic controller do you have to hold a button to pan the camera and/or change targets in battle? When I want to spin the camera in battle, I almost always hold Z (change target) instead of C (pan camera) and end up switching targets and spreading my damage too thin and getting my rear end kicked.

Classic controllers are pretty rad. You change targets with the shoulder buttons, control camera zoom/party battle movements with the other shoulder buttons, and control the camera with the right joystick.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I'm about 10 hours in and I can say without reservation that this is the best jrpg I've played in at least a decade. It's so refreshing to see a game that doesn't make you walk a straight line because it's terrified you'll miss content.

My only reservation is that this game has so many mechanics and they're so complicated and so poorly explained to the player that I've spent a lot of time feeling lost and just fumbling around for whatever works.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Black Stones posted:

You can't really "prevent" an attack from happening really. It's going to happen no matter what, but what you can do is usually soften the blow or redirect so it's not an issue.

Aside from topple/daze, the trick/bug I mentioned earlier definitely works when the enemy's focused on you. If your main character is being targeted you can run far enough away and the enemy's charge up gets canceled completely but it only seems to work for abilities that were shown for counter with the monado.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Now that I've really dove into the game and gotten the best character ever (it's Riki) I have a bit of a mechanics question. Do Aggro Up gems modify all attacks/arts, or only physical ones? I've been using Riki as a tank and have a couple slotted into his weapon because Shulk would occasionally pull off of him, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off putting in Ether or Strength up.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Whelp, I finally finished this.
Took me about 70 hours, and I started to skip sidequests near the end because the plot was running so fast it felt wrong to be off dicksoning around.

Holy poo poo, what a ride.
Xenoblade is definitely the best JRPG I've ever played, and is somewhere in my top ten games, I think.

I loved that it had some plot twists faced mechons being human, Fiora being alive that I guessed really easily, and some Dickson working for Zanza, Shulk being Zanza's vessel, the High Entia breeding program to avoid becoming Telethia that I couldn't guess at all.
I loved that the characters were all likable and acted like sensible humans (aside from Shulk constantly not telling people about his visions, though at least Reyn trained him out of that).
I loved the soundtrack, which was goddamn awesome. And the art direction, which was goddamn awesome.

I just fear that every RPG I play in the future will feel lacklustre in comparison.

Here, have a wallpaper;

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

When at a merchant is it safe to sell everything in the Materials tab? (The stuff that appears as a bunch of bags)

Also, I read the above gem craft guide above and I'm all :pwn: What the hell do different statistics actually do? Is this explained anywhere?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 14, 2012

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Heh, people are finishing the game and I'm still waiting for Nintendo to deliver the copy I pre-ordered back in February. Never again, Nintendo, never again.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ledneh posted:

When at a merchant is it safe to sell everything in the Materials tab? (The stuff that appears as a bunch of bags)

No, unfortunately not. There will be materials that are needed for other things and those don't get marked.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ledneh posted:

It's generally safe to sell the small bags (common loot), though a few quests here and there might want them. A lot of the large sparkly bags (uncommon loot) are used in quests, so it's usually a good idea to hang onto at least 6-8 of each, and sell all the excess.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No, unfortunately not. There will be materials that are needed for other things and those don't get marked.

To expand on that a little bit, some materials are needed for quests that might not pop up until later on in the zone/other zones. If you're not concerned with them, then sell away. They're a good source of cash either way.

Minor spoiler for early game: Once you get the Monado it will occasionally give you a vision that tells you if a collectible is for a quest. I can't remember if it will do it for drops from monsters, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bussamove posted:

To expand on that a little bit, some materials are needed for quests that might not pop up until later on in the zone/other zones. If you're not concerned with them, then sell away. They're a good source of cash either way.

Minor spoiler for early game: Once you get the Monado it will occasionally give you a vision that tells you if a collectible is for a quest. I can't remember if it will do it for drops from monsters, though.

It will do it, but for whatever reason it doesn't do it for all of them. I don't know why, but it marks some materials you need for future quests, but not others. Also there's another thing you need materials for that isn't normal quests, and those don't always get marked either.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Now that I've really dove into the game and gotten the best character ever (it's Riki) I have a bit of a mechanics question. Do Aggro Up gems modify all attacks/arts, or only physical ones? I've been using Riki as a tank and have a couple slotted into his weapon because Shulk would occasionally pull off of him, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off putting in Ether or Strength up.

Aggro Up gems give an aggro bonus to all actions, be it attacks or healing. If you're using Riki as a tank with Shulk in the party, he would definitely need Aggro Up gems because he doesn't hold aggro anywhere near as well as Reyn or Dunban. As for other gems, slot in Poison/Ice/Fire/Bleed Plus gems to increase the damage over time dealt by those moves. That's where Riki really shines (try those moves in a chain attack. The damage is just ridiculous).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah, I've noticed that even with the aggro gems if I'm not on the ball Shulk will peel things off like a motherfucker. So far I've slotted Riki with mostly Ether Up, since I'm still not super far into the game so I haven't had a chance to get any really good elemental increasing gems or crystals to make them with. I also don't seem to have Burninate yet, hopefully I get that soonish. Then again I'm just a hair under level 40 because I stopped being obsessive about sidequests so I'm falling back in line with enemy levels (until I decide to grind out a ton of them again).

My only real big complain with the game so far is that I feel kind of constrained in party make up. There are three characters that can tank, although I've had a hell of a time using Dunban without him exploding, but only one that has any real healing utility unless Melia gets some that I'm not aware of, and if there's Mechon around Shulk is pretty much required. I really feel like there should be a fourth party slot.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Ledneh posted:

Also, I read the above gem craft guide above and I'm all :pwn: What the hell do different statistics actually do? Is this explained anywhere?

I'm not sure what you're asking, what do you mean by statistics?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So, what does each stat actually do? Agility for example.

And I assume I shouldn't sell collectibles unless I really really need money right?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm assuming he's looking for an explanation of Muscle Up, Ether Def Up, etc... seeing how stats don't have a good in-game description. I'm still fuzzy on some stats myself.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I believe Agility is what dominates your hit rate and dodge. If you look at your gems on the item screen instead of while equipping them, it should give a blurb about what the more esoteric abilities do.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Pressing + on the equip menu will let you see the properties of a gem too, and hitting it again will give you the same little blurb you get on the item screen.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Suaimhneas posted:

I think he means the percentages on the crystals before you work on them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

YggiDee posted:

I believe Agility is what dominates your hit rate and dodge. If you look at your gems on the item screen instead of while equipping them, it should give a blurb about what the more esoteric abilities do.

Hmm, then I guess it isn't worth giving up extra attack power if a piece of equipment also reduces your agility by 1.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I love how much personality the Metal Faced Mechon have. When the first one appeared on Colony 9 I expected them to be either aloof hitmen or mindless attack dogs. Instead they are full of attitude and they hate you. It's great.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bussamove posted:

My only real big complain with the game so far is that I feel kind of constrained in party make up. There are three characters that can tank, although I've had a hell of a time using Dunban without him exploding, but only one that has any real healing utility unless Melia gets some that I'm not aware of, and if there's Mechon around Shulk is pretty much required. I really feel like there should be a fourth party slot.

While it's true that one party member is far and away the best healer, you really don't need a dedicated healer. Just link skills that heal your party after a chain attack, and any other healing skills, then focus on activating chain attacks as often as you can. Riki is also pretty good at using his You can Do It skill, so he also doubles as a healer. Bench Sharla and be amazed at how much more fun the game becomes.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That makes an awful lot of sense. I think I'm just terrible at this game. :( Or I'm too used to thinking inside the box with how RPGs work these days.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I just got Mr. Gimpy McAsskicker after his promise to join me so long ago, and it's been super-smooth sailing so far since I have spent around 25 hours so far going through sidequests and hunting down unique things.

It was not a big deal fighting the casual Mechon encounters or even the minibosses. Yet, a pair of Level 36 Clinger Antols chilling out in a cave will make me have to get serious about strategy.

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
I'm at the sea level and My best relation is with shulk/reyn which is sort of whiteish purple. Everyone else is pretty low, is there a better way of bringing them up or do I just grind battles all the time?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sidequests! I've already had heart with Reyn since before going into the drainpipe, and both have :3: with Sharla. Also you can use collectibles from the menu to gift them between party members. Some have preferences; for example, Shulk really likes machine parts so give him your Blue Chains. It'll also remember cursor position so you can just hammer A once you set it up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thedouche posted:

I think he means the percentages on the crystals before you work on them.

This and what are crystals and cylinders, and the different kinds of flame, oh and I guess each party member has abilities that aren't explained anywhere while making gems too? And you want to keep some pair of your party members hating each other to make it all work? What?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

The_White_Crane posted:

Xenoblade is definitely the best JRPG I've ever played, and is somewhere in my top ten games, I think.

I need to compile these quotes so that when people question the hype the game's receiving, can point out tat I'm not alone in this sentiment. Truly is a fantastic game.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Xenoblade Chronicles is the best RPG I've played since Persona 4. The only way it could be better is if Kanji Tatsumi parachuted onto the Bionis Head with a crate full of Topsicles and hand-sewn stuffed animals for everyone in the party.

I'm Bussamove and I approve this message.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Ledneh posted:

This and what are crystals and cylinders, and the different kinds of flame
This much I have figured out, and only through trial and error basically. Crystals are dropped by most enemies, and generally have a relatively low % on one or two qualities, like Strength, Muscle or Ether.

Cylinders are dropped by Mechon, and are basically super crystals, having much higher qualities. Cylinders are also produced as a side effect of the Gem Crafting process.

When you start crafting, you pick which cylinders and crystals you want to craft. Each one you selects adds its qualities to the total.

For instance, lets say these are your crystals:

Crystal 1: Strength 30%
Muscle 20%

Crystal 2: Strength 40%
Agility 20%

Crystal 3: Strength 40%
Agility 15%

Your total for this batch would be:

Strength 110%
Agility 35%
Muscle 20%

The more Crystals and Cylinders you put in, the higher your percentages are and the more qualities go into the batch. You can choose up to 8 Crystals, but as soon as one of your Qualities exceeds 100% you'll automatically go to the furnace.

Now you start crafting. You pick a Shooter and an Engineer. The better the affinity between the two, the more Turns you'll get at the Furnace, which will give you better results.

Each character has a special ability as a Shooter, such as Shulk going into Fever more often (giving you way more Turns on the Furnace), and each is also good at working with different flame temperatures. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it means that on each turn they're more likely to work at the specific temperature they are good at (for instance Reyn is Great with Strong heat, so each turn will be more likely to have a Strong flame).

The three flames work like this:

Gentle: Gentle flames fill up your Cylinder Gauge more quickly. Your Cylinder Gauge is the green meter with a number on top. Everytime that meter is filled you'll get another Cylinder. Sharla is particularly good with Gentle flames, and you can get a lot of Cylinders with her.

Medium: Medium flame increases all of your qualities by a small amount, and I think also raises your Cylinder Gauge slightly.

Strong: Strong flames will increase the value of one or two qualities. I think it's always the largest ones. Reyn is good with Strong flames, so you'll get even higher numbers with him.

Once your turns are up, then you get to take home your booty. Any Qualities that are over 100% produce Gems. For the rest, you can put them into the cylinders you were able to produce from the batch.

So lets look at the above example again:

Strength 110%
Agility 35%
Muscle 20%

Shulk and Reyn do the crafting, and these are the results:

Strength 150%
Agility 50%
Muscle 25%

This yields 1 Strength Gem. The batch also gave up one Cylinder, so you can choose to take either the Agility 50% or the Muscle 25%.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Broand posted:

I'm at the sea level and My best relation is with shulk/reyn which is sort of whiteish purple. Everyone else is pretty low, is there a better way of bringing them up or do I just grind battles all the time?

You can give collectables to party members as gifts to raise the affinity between two of them. This is the quickest way, just gift spam with all your useless collectables taking up space. Never sell them.

Do this in the items menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been reading the Japanese response on 2ch to the game being so well received here. Like me, they're very happy and hope that games like this can revitalize the genre. There's a whole lot of "Are you watching this, Square-Enix??"

edit: most of their opinions about Xenoblade and the state of the genre in general are so close to ours here it's nuts. People say that Japanese and non-Japanese want different things from RPGs, but in this case I'm just not seeing it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 15, 2012

• Locked thread