Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I got home with the game a 10:30am and sat down and didn't stop until about 8pm. Then I went back to it for another couple hours later. They just do a fabulous job with keeping everything exciting and interesting and fast paced all the time.

A few questions though:

Is there a way to zoom the minimap? Inevitably whatever I am trying to get to, if it doesn't have a quest marker, is too far out to actually see it, and I have to keep loading the regular map repeatedly.

How are people that do tons of quests actually achieving this? Are you doing one quest at a time? I felt like the way to go was to run around accepting every quest from everyone and not really reading most of the text, but then I found that the summaries in the quest log are pretty crap at telling you where to go. Should I be doing one at once and actually reading that text? I don't see how you could keep track of it otherwise (or just gamefaqing every quest, if that info is even out there).

Relatedly, there's no way to set a quest marker for a sidequest is there? I just don't see how there's enough info to really complete many of them efficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I just realized that the classic controller has a second analogue stick.

Can you control the camera with it without holding down a button? Because I will go buy one right now if that's the case.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yes, the right stick is free camera control all the time.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Speaking of how metal the soundtrack is, who's "ACE+", and what else have they done? They're one of the main contributors to the soundtrack, composing some of the general favourites, like the Unique Monster theme, the boss theme, and Engage the Enemy.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Allan Assiduity posted:

Speaking of how metal the soundtrack is, who's "ACE+", and what else have they done? They're one of the main contributors to the soundtrack, composing some of the general favourites, like the Unique Monster theme, the boss theme, and Engage the Enemy.

The only thing I can find is from the Iwata asks article and it seems the team was comprised of the artists: CHiCO, Tomori, and Kenji Hiramatsu

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

http://vgmdb.net/artist/8635

Yeah its a collaboration between 3 artists.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
My biggest complaint so far about this game is that you can't turn the loving voice volume down and turn the music volume up.

Why isn't that an option? I thought all video games come with that option now?

Other than that, fantastic RPG.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
How does the classic controller handle zoom in/out and look up/down? I'm fine with horizontal camera control with the wii remote because it's really easy to move your character in a direction and tap C but looking up and down is a little uncomfortable because the terrain changes often.

So far I've been playing zoomed out as far as possible because it minimizes camera annoyances. I also went into the settings and set the camera to "high," which I'm pretty sure adjusts the max zoomout distance to be farther. Does anyone else fancy playing more zoomed in? Does zooming in ever help in battles or anywhere else?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What does each character stat mean? Is there anywhere in the game that tells you?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I've been playng with the Wiimote + Nunchuck and I really like being able to move and select arts at the same time. I can't imagine how awkward battles must feel with the classic controller, and changing the camera isn't a hassle at all. Classic controller loses.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Welp, my wii wouldn't play Xenoblade. But I made the lens cleaner that someone posted a video for in this thread and now it plays! Yay! Though I won't get that much playtime done today. drat.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Lakitu7 posted:

Relatedly, there's no way to set a quest marker for a sidequest is there? I just don't see how there's enough info to really complete many of them efficiently.

Yeah I'd like to know this too, I'm swamped with MMO-esque sidequests and all the running around looking for quest targets is starting to wear on me. I've been trying to kill every enemy while exploring but that's getting kinda tedious too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lakbay posted:

Yeah I'd like to know this too, I'm swamped with MMO-esque sidequests and all the running around looking for quest targets is starting to wear on me. I've been trying to kill every enemy while exploring but that's getting kinda tedious too.

Just do what I did. Take every quest you can then go do your exploring. If you finish all/most of the quests you can consider going back to the area you got your quests and see if more are available due to your increased standing with them. You might get a few that require back tracking, like killing a unique enemy, but those aren't too bad usually.

Except the sky stage guy. gently caress that guy for never showing up at Sky Stage or the other area mentioned (it says he goes between them but that's a lie unless it needs rain too like the lake quest). :sigh:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Lakitu7 posted:

I got home with the game a 10:30am and sat down and didn't stop until about 8pm. Then I went back to it for another couple hours later. They just do a fabulous job with keeping everything exciting and interesting and fast paced all the time.

Yesss, glad you're liking it so far. It only gets better!

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Brackhar posted:

I just had the same. They came outta nowhere man!

Me three! I didn't think something so small and non-unique could be so powerful or simply left lying around Colony 9.

BIONIS FISHIES WILL gently caress YOU UP. :black101:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
This gamefaqs walkthrough seems to be complete and thorough about giving a short description of "go to place x at time y" for each quest. Maybe I'll try that. I have no wish to do EVERY QUEST but having full pages of stuff not done kind of bothers me and wandering around colony 9 hoping to stumble onto a red ! is annoying.
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/file/xenoblade_chronicles.txt

Re: the killer fish, do you have enemy markers turned on? Not that stuff can't still sneak up behind you that way, but at least enemies that are way too hard for you will have red dots floating around their heads.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Getting owned by Level 30 fishes is a mandatory part of the Xenoblade Chronicles experience, don't leave Colony 9 without it.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Except the sky stage guy. gently caress that guy for never showing up at Sky Stage or the other area mentioned (it says he goes between them but that's a lie unless it needs rain too like the lake quest). :sigh:
As I recall, he's actually way outside the Sky Stage, maybe to the south of it or something like that? It's pretty annoying, yeah.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
This thread needs a new title:

"Xenoblade Chronicles - Angriest Fish Since Dorf Fortress"

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Am I just a failing idiot or is this game really hard? I'm at the tentacle beast that has Juju and it just kicks the crap out of me. I beat the first stage but the second stage is just brutal.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

InfiniteJesters posted:

This thread needs a new title:

"Xenoblade Chronicles - Angriest Fish Since Dorf Fortress"

It's true. I too was one shot by a fish. Never saw it coming.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

A minor pet peeve is that a few levels, at least up to the point I've reached, makes such a huge deal when hitting enemies. Found a unique enemy that was level 29 when I was 25 and figured "ok my current team bulldozes unique enemies their level, maybe this will be hard but doable" only to find out that my characters were missing on about 60% of their attacks, making topple/stun pretty much impossible. Even with some gear/gems giving and extra 10+ agility to people. :argh:

Yea if I had a minor complaint it would be that too. Levels make such a huge difference when fighting mobs that it is pretty ridiculous. You could have a good strat and gear, but it won't matter if you are a few levels too low as all your attacks will miss. Conversely if you are a few levels higher it will be a joke as the boss will be the one missing or glancing all his attacks.

Just wait until you try the 4 optional bosses that are over level 99...

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Wezlar posted:

Am I just a failing idiot or is this game really hard? I'm at the tentacle beast that has Juju and it just kicks the crap out of me. I beat the first stage but the second stage is just brutal.

That fight is indeed one of the toughest for the level you are at. If you can't beat it, the nice thing is in this game you aren't forced to reload. You respawn away and the boss stays there. Sometimes just leveling up once or twice will make a difference.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are you using component cables? If not that should fix things unless your tv is extremely old.

I wouldn't consider it extremely old, but maybe eight years or so is these days. So component cables aren't an option.

Is there any way to hook a Wii up to an old computer monitor? I've got one with an SVGA hookup that's just collecting dust.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

moths posted:

I wouldn't consider it extremely old, but maybe eight years or so is these days. So component cables aren't an option.

Is there any way to hook a Wii up to an old computer monitor? I've got one with an SVGA hookup that's just collecting dust.

There are unofficial VGA cables you can buy but I've heard that the screen goes black for a few seconds every so often because it was never designed to be able to output over VGA.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I'm absolutely loving this game. The biggest gripe I have is why is all the text so loving small? I love having to lean forward and strain to read the tutorials and/or descriptions of items as I find them.

Monsieur N
Dec 4, 2004

Fear the monkeys !
Only played a couple of hours, mostly just running around. I love the combat! I'm still figuring out what affinities and collectibles actually do but so far the game is great.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Monsieur N posted:

Only played a couple of hours, mostly just running around. I love the combat! I'm still figuring out what affinities and collectibles actually do but so far the game is great.

Affinities affect a lot of things. Affinity between party members let you setup skill links (it'll be explained later don't worry), see heart-to-heart moments, help in crafting, etc.

I really gotta swap party members sometimes.

Collectibles are items that are used for quests and that you can put in your collectopedia for rewards.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Should I be equipping my characters with drops when I get them, or always buying new gear from shops and supplementing that with drops?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I've rarely if ever used gear from shops. They rarely have gem slots, and you find slotted items all over the place.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Got my copy from Gamestop. Had to ask about the artbooks and the dude looked embarassed and grabbed a giant stack of them out of a cupboard to put by the cash register to remind him. The store didn't have the game on the main shelves but he said they got in 10 copies and only had 3 preorders. So if you failed to preorder despite months of warning on this forum, stores should still have extra copies for a while.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
For anyone looking for the limited edition with the red controller:

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Nintendo-Wii/Xenoblade-Chronicles-Collectors-Edition-includes-Limited-Edition-Red-controller/19574852/

They still have some, it's currently on special for about 65 U.S. dollars.

No idea what the shipping will be but hey, you guys might like one so...

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
So if you kill a unique monster before receiving the quest, you don't receive the rewards?
I think that just happened to me. :sigh:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SATURNS SON EATER posted:

For anyone looking for the limited edition with the red controller:

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Nintendo-Wii/Xenoblade-Chronicles-Collectors-Edition-includes-Limited-Edition-Red-controller/19574852/

They still have some, it's currently on special for about 65 U.S. dollars.

No idea what the shipping will be but hey, you guys might like one so...

This is the euro version so you'd have to soft mod your wii btw.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally decided to get the game, albeit the Japanese version. I'll be buying a used Wii for cheap to go along with it, and probably selling it again after I'm done. Other than Dragon's Dogma in May, it doesn't look like there are any good JRPGs in the pipeline for some time to come.

edit: it will be a while before it gets here though, I ordered it from amazon.jp via tenso. None of the usual import shops are stocking it for some reason.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 7, 2012

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Fun Times! posted:

How does the classic controller handle zoom in/out and look up/down?

For in and out you have to hold one of the z button and use either the d bad or the analogue stick.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Azraden posted:

So if you kill a unique monster before receiving the quest, you don't receive the rewards?
Unique monsters do respawn... eventually. Either try saving and reloading til it appears (this may or may not work) or just ignore the quest and move on.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Azraden posted:

They respawn after a while

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Azraden posted:

Nope. However, unique monsters will always come back. Save where they spawn, and then keep reloading until they're back. You'll get the reward then.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

If I was going to play this on the dolphin emulator, what controller should I use? I have a ps3 and 360 controller, should I pick up a cheap wii classic one? Do they even connect to the computer at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
Thanks. I'll try saving and reloading. It's a timed one so I'd rather do it now.

• Locked thread