Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
I can almost see what he's saying if he's only played for 35 hours. I loved this game, but the highlight is really the second half.

I also have an issue with his criticism of the battle system. You need to put actual effort in to boss fights, but random mobs can often be dispatched by a casual mashing of your skills. This is a good thing. If every single random fight was an actual challenge that required you to put a lot of effort in, you'd be worn out very, very quickly. Xenoblade strikes the balance very well.

Violently Car fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Uh-oh... please tell me that this isn't a FFXIII situation where, "Oh, the game is awesome, but you have to make it through the first 25 hours of it before it gets really good! Just keep it up!" because I can't take that poo poo again.

Yeah, I presented that poorly. The first half of the game is very good. The second half is simply fantastic.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Question for others who have played this: Did you scream a little bit when this happened?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

perianwyr posted:

but I have come to appreciate the anime yelling of ability names since it's a reliable cue as to what the AI controlled players are doing with all the massive visual pollution going on.

Yes, definitely. If they didn't yell out the abilities they used, combat would be so much harder to follow. As far as I know, everything that's said in combat has an actual meaning (even stuff like "Nice one!" generally means that the affinity between the characters grew stronger), so as rambly as may seem at times, none of it is fluff.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Len posted:

What do I use materials for? Are they for a crafting mechanic that hasn't been covered yet?

Menu -> Items -> Collectopaedia -> Fill them in. You get rewards for doing so.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Len posted:

Aren't those the collectables though? I'm talking the stuff monsters drop when I kill them. Like the broken pincers, and shells, and poo poo. I know some are for quests but are the rests garbage?

Oh, I think those are mostly junk.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Yeah, Wiis just have a tendency to do that. Our Wii would do it even when it was brand new, and it's still going strong a few years later.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Reyn shines because he does something that I'm sure no other JRPG character in his position does, which is astounding, really. Just wait for it

What in particular are you thinking of?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Allan Assiduity posted:

Playing this game may well have ruined other JRPGs for me. I played Persona 4, and I just can't get into it, if only because it's not as flat-out amazing as Xenoblade (it's just mediocre).

I tried to play through FFXIII at the same time as Xenoblade. I gave up on it about 20% of the way in simply because Xenoblade was a vastly superior experience.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

TheLoser posted:

I was stuck on the exact same fight for a while too. Here's how I got around it. Put Dunban in as party leader, then start a chain attack. What you want to do is start with Dunban using an art that inflicts break, then Reyne can use his topple move in the same chain.

From what I'm told, it's the only way to do serious damage to faced mechon.

Xord is honestly one of the hardest bosses in the game. By no means does the game get easy after that, but that particular fight does take some doing.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

HenryEx posted:

a hilariously ineffectual character.
He's actually the best character in the game. I had used Shulk as my main character all game, but once I got to the end of the game, I was having trouble. I switched to Riki and despite having almost no affinity links created with my other party members (which meant chain attacks basically didn't go past three, ever), it made the final fight a lot easier. His DoTs just do absurd damage. I didn't even have the final skill book for Burninate and it still ruined everything.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

I thought Shulk was like 23 until I read that he was 18. He doesn't act like an anime teenager and is very mature. From what I've seen he only gets really emotional or upset at pretty appropriate times. At one point early on he yelled at Reyn, "No complaining!" when he started to talk about being hungry or some dumb thing in a cutscene. That made me really appreciate the characters.

Yep. That's one of the best things about the characters - they behave like adults who grow and mature as their power level grows. It's just so refreshing after dealing with so many JRPGs where your characters grow to possess immeasurable and unrivaled power, yet they never develop a shred of confidence and retain the emotional maturity of a young teenager.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Chaltab posted:

Question: How do you play Dunban effectively? Because I've found him the least effective member of my party. Reyn and Riki are better tanks, Shulk and Melia do better damage... it just doesn't feel like he has much of a niche.

Lots of agility. He's actually a good tank because he just doesn't really get hit that often, and he does a lot of damage so he keeps aggro well.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Characters eventually get skills that grant them bonuses if they're wearing a full set of light/medium/heavy armor.
Heavy armor is indeed very rare, but oh-so-strong and ridiculously cool looking.

Does anyone still have that "Riki feel dumb!" screenshot where he was wearing heavy armour?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

There are ways to manipulate your stats, but stat growth through levels is automatic. Your manual stat adjustments (I'll let you play the game to find out how you do this) are also not permanent, so you don't have to worry about screwing a character up.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

True. I never understood why Xord got a name but Metal Face didn't.

Ummm, yes he did. It's Mumkhar.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Superstring posted:

I'm way early and about to head to Colony 6 and Reyn is starting to have some difficulty holding aggro. I've had him in defense improving gear and gemming for defense as well. Should I give him some dps gear instead or gem for strength?

Do you have Shadow Eye on Shulk?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Brackhar posted:

So I just got the heropon and I'm looking for suggestions on how to use him. Apparently a lot of people like using him for your main, but what sidekicks do you choose? My one attempt at having him as my main led to terrible weeping against a unique as I lacked heals to be effective. How would you suggest building him and what role should I think of him as?

Also I ran into a nasty AI issue in the following boss fight that makes me worry I should always control Shulk. When fighting the Telethia controlling Riki Shulk *refused* to use his aura squash, thus putting me in a position where I could only really damage the dude by repeatedly casting poison. This of course failed horrible as soon as I started hitting regen mode. Had I not saved right before the fight I would have been screwed, as there's no way to force Shulk to use the ability (every chain attack his talent was on cooldown). Are there many fights in the game like this where it'll be a problem? If so I'm really concerned about not maining as Shulk...

Riki just does tons of damage over time. Get his main four skills, (Bitey Bitey, Lurgy, Freezinate, and Burninate) and you simply melt enemies. Riki gets a heal, but I'm not sure which level he learns it at. As for party members, you can honestly use him with anyone - he's very versatile. The last issue isn't a common problem. Telethia fights are few and far between. It's also fully possible to beat a lot of them without using Aura Burst at all. If worst comes to worst, you can just switch Shulk into your main for them.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Chaltab posted:

Riki can also act as a tank in that, while he doesn't actually have much (if any) in the way of aggro-drawing powers, he can still get enemies' attention with the damage and take hits because of his truly absurd amount of HP.

(Also, I have to ask: was the Strongbad reference in the original Japanese script or just something Nintendo of Europe added?)

It's called "モエモエだも" (moemoedamo) in Japanese, so it seems like a localization thing (which makes sense since I highly doubt HSR is known at all in Japan).

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

I made that jump without movement speed gems. It's pretty tricky, but it's doable.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

EDIT: Never mind.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Crackmaster posted:

Also wonderful to hear there are complementary night versions of each theme.

These night versions manage to get even better as you go on. The area that comes up after the place you're in now as well as another further down the road have night time themes that are so good that you'll be wanting to set your clock to night every time you're there.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Brackhar posted:

Wait, what was his advice? I'm still struggling to figure out how to properly use Riki in a party and without a healer I go pop quite quickly in tough encounters. :(

Riki learns a heal at some point, but I forget exactly when. Maybe leave him out until he gets it.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Calaveron posted:

You can still do sidequests. Hell, I think (might be wrong) some sidequests don't open up until you beat the last boss.

No, when the event in the spoilers occurs, that's the point of no return.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

thedouche posted:

Is there any penalty for skill linking between party members or should I link hard/link often?

Unlinking refunds all used coins so feel free to do whatever you want.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Alectai posted:

Okay, maybe I'm terrible at this game after all :smith:

Don't worry, I played through the whole game with Sharla in my party. :downs:

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

EDIT: Oops, ignore this.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

lactomangulation posted:

Late game question: is the following the point of no return - when Miqol asks you if you are ready to enter the Core?

The point of no return is marked by a question asked by Dunban.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

That Rough Beast posted:

As others have pointed out, though, there are a series of areas which get locked out (potentially locking you out of collectables) in the endgame. Around the time you get to Fallen Arm you might want to look at the lockout guide that's posted on Gamefaqs. There's some spoilers about locations, but they keep it fairly vague.

Sure, but he specifically asked for the point of no return.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Marogareh posted:

He can wield the Monado for a completely different and out of left field reason so keep playing.

Why would you say something like this? (Spoiler tags added by me)

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Marogareh posted:

Didn't think it was spoilery and i apologize if that was the case. Edited my original post just in case.

Telling someone that their theory is right or wrong kinda spoils some of the discovery, that's all. :)

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

ScarletBrother posted:

What's a good place to level up around level 76? I'm in Bionis' Interior but want to be able to reliably fight in Tephra cave redux. Anything come to mind immediately? Enemies in the first area mentioned are too low to give good xp and enemies in the latter area are too high.

Have you checked the caves and surrounding areas at Bionis' Leg? If I recall correctly, there are some monsters around that level for you to fight.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

ZebTM posted:

is there a way to change which party member you're playing as?

Just put them as the middle party member (the one with 1 to the left of their name) in the party screen.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

If I recall correctly, level 42 is actually overleveled for that part of the game.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Temper your expectations. The game is still really well done, but the quality is not consistent throughout. The beginning is not representative of every section of the game.

This is a bit unfair. Aside from Alcamoth, basically everything is really good, and even that place isn't so bad.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

Whenever someone talks about how hard Gadolt is it always makes me go :psyduck:. It's the one boss in the game that I felt a bit shafted on, difficulty wise as this laser everyone talks about never happened for me. I spent every fight with him just running up and wrecking him with little to no effort with seven, dunban, and sharla. I'm fairly sure sharla never healed me either.

I've kinda stopped playing right now cause I'm at a point where if I want to do anymore side quests I have to grind up a few levels before hand. As much as I like the combat in this game I've never been a fan of grinding and I really can't find the strength to go through with it now.

I've heard that he is easier if Sharla is in your party. I can see him being pretty difficult if that's the case and you don't use her (I did use her, so I can't say for sure).

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Dunban just joined my party post-Xord. Kinda lost interest in coming back to it after reading Fiora comes back as a mechon, but I'm thinking there'll be more story to keep me going that I don't know yet, right?

Would you be interested if I told you that that isn't the big plot twist?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

It seems like those who will a new world choose what is in it. It's sort of like how Meyneth and Zanza were from the old world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Nice hairclip.

• Locked thread