Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Violently Car posted:

If every single random fight was an actual challenge that required you to put a lot of effort in, you'd be worn out very, very quickly.

This is definitely the case. I mean, what game's devs would get it in their head to pull something like that? *cough*FF13*cough*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

I'm actually not skipping events left and right even though I could. This is a -very good thing-. :dance:

That and this game wasted no time whatsoever getting interesting. It got good around the first minute or so.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles gets hit with a new lowest score. Lowest score the game received before this review? an 8.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-xenoblade-chronicles/

EGM's new review has the lowest score now at a 65.

I know that a reviewer is entitled to their experiences and opinion but with the pacing comment I have to ask this question: Was he playing the same game?

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

I've gotten into the habit of having Sharla on point and just healing/buffing/sniping while the other guys rush down. Any pointers for Sharla-sniping, from the more experienced Xenoblade players? (I'm 8 hours in and I've just reached (location, approximately 15% through the main story)Colony 6.)

Moreover, does Sharla on point remain viable throughout the game? Where is it a -very- bad or good idea?

deepshock fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 9, 2012

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

With Sharla, the heavier the armor set is, the more exposed she is. Its horrible and its one of the reasons I dont like using her in the party.

:ughh: I guess there really is a minimum stupidity quota being enforced with these games. At least I'm too busy looking at her abilities and the effect of her shots on enemies to notice half the time.

Edit: That said, I'm quite glad that everything else about her as a character (at least as far as the central pit) is pretty good. She's capable, she's skilled, she's smart, and she doesn't yield to men solely because they're men. I hope that events later in the game don't feed me back my words.

Edit 2: Oh for Bionis' sake.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 9, 2012

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

sudonim posted:

Still, in a game where male characters can run around bare-chested flaunting their washboard abs, I'd say this game is pretty even handed with fan service.

That's a relief anyway. If you're going to do this sort of thing, it pays to be equal opportunity about it at least. That said, why reveal MORE for one character the heavier the armor? At the absolute least, why not invert it so that light armors are the embarrassing ones?

To bring it away from Sharlachat a bit, I just noticed something pretty cool. At (15-20% mark location spoiler)Central Pit, I took an elevator to run from a gaggle of enemies I couldn't reasonably fight (6 in one group), only to see Reyn and Shulk still having a go at it offscreen, on the higher floor. That was amusing.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 9, 2012

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Here's a good way for level 38 characters on the way to the (mid-game location, unique enemy, quest goal spoiler warning) Prison Island seal area with lizards everywhere. Go to the mountain, running past all of the guys, and then focus on the lizards up top. Be absolutely sure to focus on one of the lizards at a time. I used Riki/Reyn/Shulk for this one. Trying to put someone in who isn't durable is disaster. After that, it will be far easier to beat the other lizards on bottom, if you even want to fight them. The unique one (Subterranean Zomar) is going to be nuts, even doing this.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 13, 2012

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

I love doing stuff I'm not "supposed" to do in games.

Speaking of which, at what point can (midgame character)Melia reliably ring overleveled douchebag enemies out with (ability)Spear Break? I've tried to do it on several occasions and I haven't been able to get enough pushback to do that. Does she need another ability to combo it with for the best pushback, or does the art need to be leveled more? Also, which locations are best for that on Bionis?

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

I just finished the game. The Fecal Reality Index goes up to about 5000% near the end. I know it's only supposed to go up to 100% by the definition of a percentage, but in the last few parts of the game, poo poo gets so real and so cray that it's clear that they didn't care about silly limitations like the definition of the word 'percent'. I won't even put up a spoilered explanation because I don't want anyone to mouse over it by accident.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Sears Poncho posted:

The AI won't do the things that make her awesome (stack electric elementals, use the kick to interrupt arts, etc.) but I played through some of the game, including some late-mid game bosses with her as a party member and I think while maybe not the best person to put in your party, it can work.

The AI seems to want summon all the elementals equally as often, so keep that in mind when you chose how to set her up. She also will get in closer to the action then you might if you were playing her, so her buffs become more relevant. I tried to make her more into a support character. I gave her the water summon and healing gift which I never use when I control her and found that it was a good supplement to the party's healing.

The one thing I noticed that the AI did really well was keeping Melia alive - A lot of things will kill her in like 2 hits, but I never had a problem with that with her in the party.

If you instruct people to attack your target, Melia will release her dots. Apart from that, she isn't very good at AI.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

KUBaNPhillipay posted:

Goddamn it! Can somebody tell me how the gently caress I am supposed to beat Disciple Lorithia. I've been going at this for 4 hours now. Even after grinding to level 76 I still can't touch her and I don't know if I have it in me to grind any more levels. This is the only boss that has even remotely given me trouble but she kills me so fast and I can barely even put a dent in her... I have level IV gems and some decent gear and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. My party is Shulk, Dunban and Melia.

Melia needs to be on point for this one. Reflection and her dots are your absolute best friends, as are Spear Break and Starlight Kick. Also, target Lorithia's nebulae with wide-area dots.

Edit: What the poster below me said. Riki is useful for this too.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 4, 2012

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

PlushCow posted:

When I hit the end of this game and needed to grind out some levels, there were two places I went:

First, just north of the end of the bridge on Bionis Leg to fight the high level gorillas ( I think they were called "Sloth Gogol," lvl 74-76 I found on a wiki), and on the little stone structures over the water;
Second, to Satorl Marsh, at the very east end to fight even more higher level gorillas.

It honestly didn't take too long. The ones on bionis leg didn't have any annoying special abilities and were taken down really fast, I'd try and pull all I could into one fight and take a lot down at once. If those enemies dont work for you, go to some xenoblade wiki and look up enemies that are around your level, maybe a little higher. I know you're thinking you have hours and hours of grinding like an old RPG but I think it only took me an hour, maybe two to gain a bunch of levels and then the final boss wasn't bad at all.

Near endgame, there's one area on Tephra Cave that you get some insane six-digit XP amount just for finding. It's been months so I forget WHICH area, but it'd be somewhere in that part that was (near endgame) blocked off earlier on in the game.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

While I'm asking questions, a couple about Shulk's future sight. Short of killing the enemy in question, is there any reliable way to get the FutureBox(tm) to shatter instead of him simply changing targets to someone I didn't heal up/shield with about one second left on the art timer (:argh:)? If for some reason Shulk's not in the party later (I can't imagine why not), do I still get the future sight?

The future sight will happen without Shulk in the active party. He can be switched out, if that's what you're asking about. I'd imagine he's still kind of there, shouting from the distance. "HEY GUYS! In 12 seconds this giant frog is going to use Spore Bomb! DO SOMETHING!"

Also, I'm pretty sure dazing a target who has a futurebox on it will shatter the box.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

axeil posted:

The unique (well for Americans I guess) British voice-acting was one of my favorite parts of Xenoblade. I'm going to be really bummed if its the same Americans who seem to do all the voices in games these days.

Better yet, give NOE American voices and NOA European voices.

Here's one I'd like to see: Have one region in X with American voices and another with European ones. It wouldn't even have to be limited to English. French would have Quebec/Parisian, Spanish would have some flavor of North American Spanish/Peninsular, and so on.

• Locked thread