Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Picked this up at noon, played until 3am (with breaks) and up to around 12:30 playtime, stopped when I got Dunban (extra text to make spoiler bigger) and The only issues I've had so far are the load times in menus and when you loot anything, as well as the fairly unhelpful means of finding specific enemies at times. The loot thing's the worst though. It might only be a second or 2, but when you're doing it for every single chest it's like a fly buzzing around that you just can't hit.

That stupid Sky Stage jerk, all I remember is being told something about 6 hours (window it appears?) when I got the quest but I can't find any way to go back and review that kind of info.

A minor pet peeve is that a few levels, at least up to the point I've reached, makes such a huge deal when hitting enemies. Found a unique enemy that was level 29 when I was 25 and figured "ok my current team bulldozes unique enemies their level, maybe this will be hard but doable" only to find out that my characters were missing on about 60% of their attacks, making topple/stun pretty much impossible. Even with some gear/gems giving and extra 10+ agility to people. :argh:

Also picked up a black classic controller pro and it was easily worth it. Tried the wiimote and nunchuck briefly but the classic controller's more than worth :20bux: for the better gameplay it lets you have. People weren't kidding when they said the Artbook was pretty bad. I didn't expect it to be something on par with the Guild Wars 2 artbook given out a few years back at PAX, but this thing's like a convention program made with thicker paper. I endedup getting the last artbook they had too. Apparently you were supposed to get it when you pre-ordered or something? Would've liked the red controller the UK release had though.

Between buying this, putting $50 on WL2 and $60 on Shadowrun kickstarters I need to not put money in video games for a little while.

Killing unique enemies is a must for anyone who hasn't made it a point to do so. There a level 17-18 one I found early on by air defense battery 1 at night and went back there around level 20-21 to beat it. Thing was harder than some unique enemies 3-4 levels higher than it but it dropped a Tanker Blocker(?) for Reyn and the weapon is still the best thing I've seen for him by a good amount. Not only did it give an extra 70-80 or so damage over the Jaugar he had on earlier, but it gave an outright silly amount of defðer def. Combined with stuff like the Empress armor I'd found he's nearing 350 def (ether def is pretty bad due to heavy armor stats though).

Has anyone had money issues yet? It might be due to completing so many quests, but I literally have only sold/traded a dozen collectibles at most and the common enemy drops and have bought anything I wanted without issue. If I sold all my extra drops/collectables I'd probably get an extra 150-200k but I'd have no use for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lakbay posted:

Yeah I'd like to know this too, I'm swamped with MMO-esque sidequests and all the running around looking for quest targets is starting to wear on me. I've been trying to kill every enemy while exploring but that's getting kinda tedious too.

Just do what I did. Take every quest you can then go do your exploring. If you finish all/most of the quests you can consider going back to the area you got your quests and see if more are available due to your increased standing with them. You might get a few that require back tracking, like killing a unique enemy, but those aren't too bad usually.

Except the sky stage guy. gently caress that guy for never showing up at Sky Stage or the other area mentioned (it says he goes between them but that's a lie unless it needs rain too like the lake quest). :sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea if I had a minor complaint it would be that too. Levels make such a huge difference when fighting mobs that it is pretty ridiculous. You could have a good strat and gear, but it won't matter if you are a few levels too low as all your attacks will miss. Conversely if you are a few levels higher it will be a joke as the boss will be the one missing or glancing all his attacks.

Just wait until you try the 4 optional bosses that are over level 99...

I don't think agility matters anywhere close to what level does either. Tried fighting that unique spider in the ruins NE of where you save Juju and even swapping Shulk in to gear to give him an extra 25 agility had him missing continuously even though I was just 4 or 5 levels below the thing. Reyn hit it just as much as Shulk and Shulk had something like 80 agility to Reyn's 47. :v:

So far the biggest win I've had in those cases was killing Godwin, in the ruins in the marsh when I was 2 levels below it, however it took a few tries due to how heavily they spammed super kill-you-yes-even-Reyn moves.

Ramadu posted:

If I was going to play this on the dolphin emulator, what controller should I use? I have a ps3 and 360 controller, should I pick up a cheap wii classic one? Do they even connect to the computer at all?

360 controllers are made to work with a PC, a ps3 controller is not. If you want to use a PS3 controller just get a logitech game pad for $20 and it'll be the same shape but not gently caress with your PC.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

randomcommoner posted:

Just a minor thing that I didn't know when I played that part, but the new monado art they give you to increase dodge is the key to the encounter, since the boss best attacks are red and thus physical just try to keep whoever's getting aggro with that on, shield won't work here because the enemy uses red arts (physical) instead of the white ones with numerals that you can shield. If everything else fails get some levels and curbstomp it.

Was level 23 going in to the fight and hit 24 after beating it. People are not kidding around when they say that you never fall behind in levels if you explore. I just got the anti-aura skill and met Alvis who was level 28 with my party at 33, now 34 almost 35.

Also managed to go back and beat the Gentle Mother Manu(?) at colony 9 when I was 4 levels below it, since right before the fight I ended up making a bunch of III gems, including 4 HPs (3 went on Reyn) and half a dozen Agility II and III. Shulk's sitting at +45 agility right now and Bunban is up around 125 but I can't take down unique and boos fights without a healer. No idea if it's ever really feasible since there's no items, but if it is I haven't figured out a good method yet.

Daynab posted:

The only time the shield as is worth using is when you see a vision, you'll see the number of damage the enemy art will do. If you use the shield it should cut it to 0 (as long as your shield skill is higher or the same than their art number).

When in doubt, chain combo and topple the enemy with Shulk and Reyn, then follow up with a daze either on a link or after the chain ends, assuming it's a toppleable enemy, which drat near everything is in a chain combo (barring a resist/miss).

Blind Sally posted:

<------LET'S NOT LOSE OUR HEADS!

EDIT: What a bunch of jokers!

EDIT: EDIT:
Reyn: "You can't make a rainbow with out Reyn!"
Melia: "Dunban you need to talk to Reyn"
Dunban: "Let's just pretend it didn't happen."

I was able to use Melia for about 30 seconds before I kicked her out because holy gently caress I don't need to hear you call out your spells non-stop :suicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Living One Post at a Time posted:

Haha, yeah. She was my main the entire game after I got her. Drove me slightly insane, but she was so much stronger than everyone else I couldn't help it.

She looked really powerful and I was hoping she wasn't. Goddamnit why can't I turn voices down or disable skill chants. I wanted to try her in a group with Reyn and Shulk but she was intolerable. :sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

7billionanddying posted:

Goddammit, gently caress Gamestop. I had this pr-ordered, picked it up on Friday and completely forgot about the artbook and they never gave me one and now they're all out. I coulda flipped it on ebay and gotten the game for like half off. Seriously, so pissed.

GRRRRRR :argh:

Email gamestop directly and voice a complaint that you didn't get the pre-order bonus that was intended and ask them why you should return to them for any future business if they can't give what they offer.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet but it's worth noting that if your main character is being targeted by an enemy that's charging up an attack, especially one that triggered the monado option, you can run away and once you get enough distance it makes them enemy give up on the attack, so they basically stood there taking shots for no reason. It might be a bug that lets this trick work but when an enemy is chaining 4-6k+ damage skills one after another it was pretty much the only way I as able to beat that guy the first time. I found that out in the Marsh when doing the Giant's Treasure quests (do these, if for no other reason than the XP the last 2 quests in the chain give you is huge).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

I don't think this constitutes as a spoiler, as it's just combat mechanics. In my experience, if you run away after an enemy has charged up an attack, they just change targeting and hit a party member in range.

No they don't. When I do this it simply makes them drop the skill entirely as if they were reset without combat ending. It's very apparent when Shulk's targeted with a skill that'd still nearly kill Reyn from full HP and will 1-shot everyone else. Instead of someone dying the enemy just does a normal attack or switches to another skill and the timer starts over.

e: Using component cables this game looks fine on a 42inch TV, I'd love to know what PS2 game from 2003 had comparable graphics. Even stuff like FF12 and DQ8 are noticeably lower detail.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So what's the deal with Melia's attacks not actually attacking when you use them? Is it supposed to be so you can build up one bigass shot if you want to, or something else that's never explained? She'd have to end up being really impressive to break me out of the Shulk/Reyn/Sharla combo considering those 3 can take down anything their level and usually things a couple higher (which I have to go look for since I'm level 38 and only reached Eryth Sea). I should stop doing sidequests but I just can't help myself.

Speaking of which, I think I'm going to have to go back to Colony 9 and try killing the level 40 unique frog/brog enemy on the eastern shore since he's only 2 levels higher than me and with Reyn currently at +15agi and Shulk at +35 I should be able to hit it constantly... maybe.

Blind Sally posted:

Wait, are we talking about the same thing? I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm under the impression that you're talking about what happens when the Monado "predicts" an enemy attack that will kill or seriously injure a player. In which case, you get a vision, a countdown bar appears at the top of the screen with a description of the attack, and it displays a portrait of which character is targeted.

If this is indeed the case, then, in my experience, moving out of range merely causes the enemy to target another ally within range--and the timer never resets, it continues to count down from where it left off. So if I'm playing as Shulk with Reyn and Sharla, it often boils down to this: Shulk is targeted with an attack that will kill him --> Shulk backs out of range --> (a) enemy targets Reyn --> Reyn usually has enough HP to absorb the hit, or can block it --> or (b) enemy targets Sharla --> Sharla likely dies because she can't take the hit.

Can anyone else weigh in on this? I'm curious as to how this plays out for other people.

They only retarget if someone else can get sufficient aggro. Since you aren't attacking it's possible but if you have enough aggro they never switch and the skill gets canceled completely. It seems like reviving a party member gives you a shitload of aggro, as I'd often do this after reviving Reyn or someone else, and run around for 30 seconds while someone else gets aggro.

Thundarr posted:

Yeah, at one point I had a better set of medium pants for her that looked reasonable. Then I took off running and noticed that they were actually assless chaps. What the hell, Japan.

It's Anime Armor Design 101; the less it covers the more protection it gives if the wearer's female. For example: every Asian MMO every created.

Look at Aion, a male's armor set will be this 200lbs-of-steel Super Shredder outfit while the female version is the newest line from Victoria's Secret.

At the rate I'm going through this game (25 hours in) I'm guessing it'll be 50-60 hours until I finish it, which is longer than Skyrim took me and I finished that in the mid 30s and with a shitload of stuff explored. I think I'm enjoying this game more than it. Shame Xenoblade isn't going to sell a few million copies because then we might see more open, enjoyable JRPGs instead of poo poo like FF13.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

d0s posted:

This and trying to fill out every map of every new area I get to are my only OCD things with this game. For some reason I can't be bothered to care about or keep up with sidequests, I just accept them all and if I happen to complete some while working on the main game, it's a nice bonus. I really don't get the people hating on the game because it give you a lot of completely optional things to do.

EDIT:

I had problems with this until I went up one level hunting various things around those caves, and then it was very easy. I think just one level makes a huge difference in this game. I don't remember what I was at the time but try leveling a bit and see where that gets you.

Levels make too much of a difference, actually. If there's a 5 level difference the fight is completely lopsided (so far, maybe a level 90 vs 95 fight isn't bad). I had a boss battle where my main character was useless and it took about 20 minutes instead of 2, but Reyn dodged about 95% of all attacks because he was 5 levels higher. A few levels helps in some games but in this one it's just staggering how much a 2-3 level difference makes. I've killed unique enemies 2-3 levels above me, then fought them again at the same level or +1 level over them and I ran over them like a :killdozer:

Blind Sally posted:

I was really happy when this happened. I struggled with the boss fight in the High Entia Tomb, as Shulk wasn't able to dish out any damage to Tyrea.

I finished that last night and had the opposite situation because I got rid of shulk for Dunban, who outright butchered Tyrea since between the 75% haste using a weapon with 25% double attack, and his special skill combo, was a buzzsaw. I had to wait probably 5-10 minutes for the Telethia's stupid aura to go away though and only hit about 2-3% of the time while it was up. As soon as the aura went down the Telthia went from 50% to 0% hp in less than a minute. I was level 41 at that point so I was at zero risk the entire time. Exploration really is killing the challenge at this rate since I'm getting in to a 3-4 level advantage over stuff. :sigh:

Pierson posted:

English voices absolutely make the (mild Colony 6 spoiler) Faces, seriously. They just have the most amazing, cackling, over-the-top English accents I've ever heard in a videogame. Any cutscene with one of them in it is instantly The Best Cutscene.

I love it because it makes them sound like completely over the told evil old timey pirates.

I think my favorite music so far might be Gaur Plain. Running through the rain, past the giant unique gorilla monster and the turtle island things from my 2nd edition D&D monster manual was the best video game atmosphere&music combo I've had in the longest time.:neckbeard:

I will say that the falling stars at Eryth Sea is amazing and not something I had expected to see when I turned around and had a giant scenic view of the landscape.

I also did not know about gifting until the comments in this thread. This was never mentioned in the game was it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Well I ended up back in Colony 9 by the gem NPC and noticed I had several tier 3 crystals with +electric damage. Fast forward through a few reloads and I finally get mega heat with Shulk/Reyn which produced 2 +40% electric damage gems(level 4's, I can't wait to see level 6 ones), Melina has a 3 slot staff but I don't have crystals for a 3rd electric gem, however with just those 2 gems she hits stuff in the Sea area for 8-10k damage on normal hits. Shulk has to backslash from behind, and usually with shadow or the enemy's defense lowered, to break 10k. I think I was doing 14-16k in Melina's damage mode but stuff died to fast to get consistent numbers. She really is completely over the top, I need a ton of -aggro gems for her armor though.

With the damage multipler in chain attacks, does that multiple the damage a DoT skill does? Like if someone inflicts bleed/burn with a 3x multiplier does that mean it'd tick for 1500 instead of a normal 500?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Around the lake, any ability that pushes back can knock an enemy off and deal 100% damage. When you attack something that high you are likely to miss though unless you put them to sleep with Melia right on the ledge and have her kick them off with her physical move.

I'm going to have to try this now. I'm fearful of breaking the game due to the XP/items it'll give though. :ohdear:

ScarletBrother posted:

That means I have to take down that named guy sitting on the throne. Boo!

No you don't.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

I just wanted to report in from my frantic playing of this game to remind everyone that Riki loving owns and if you don't think so you can jump into a river.

gently caress Yes

Jesus poo poo, yea

Rawrgh get hosed

This game has some of the best music ever in videogames.

His into is also the best because he comes flying in and gets bounced around like a volleyball, with Reyn spiking him in to the ground and over the edge of the platform. There needs to be a combo attack where Reyn does this to enemies if Riki's in the party.

It's also worth noting that while the mantra of jump in a goddamn river is true, it's not nearly as enjoyable as jump off a goddamn cliff and freefall for 15-20 seconds before hitting water/solid ground. First time I found a nice batch of high places I just did a few jumps and while running around gives some scale, knowing you can fall for such a long time really helps drive home that you're not just running around on some oversized map with bumps on it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

evilalien posted:

You should have been able to buy weapons that allow party members to damage mechons without Shulk's Monado powers back at the start of Sword Valley. You'll find more shops with similar weapons soon as well.

Well hopefully those later weapons don't suck, because the ones sold in Sword Valley are terrible, both in lack-of-slots and overall stats.

Currently level 51 in Galahad(currently, not when I entered). Managed to beat a quest at level 50 that makes you fight a giant level 53 enemy that was easily harder than any boss so far. Killed it with Reyn at >500hp, Sharla dead, party gauge at 1 bar, and Shulk's auto attack finished it while trying to get to Sharla. Celebration was short lived though since about 30 seconds later it dropped a level 57 unique named enemy of the same type in the same place. He quickly avenged the quest mob and I'm not going to even consider going after it until I'm at least on the same level. They have too much hp and make the fight long as hell.

Kind of lame that HP maxes at 9999. With gems it's extremely easy to hit that with Reyn. He and Riki seem like they'll hit the cap in the 70s, if not sooner, without gems. Using 2 +20-24% hp gems on Shulk and Sharla is nice though.

Happysafer posted:

It's nearly impossible to determine the best equipment for my characters, gem crafting is a chore that I don't even need to bother with,(there isn't way to upgrade gems, right?) and I've been pretty under leveled for every boss. I give 2 or 3 tries, realize I can't win, go back and grind out some sub quests and then kill the boss. Boring.

If you'd actually craft gems you'd find yourself grinding less. A few levels is nice but aside from the fact that being underleveled requires you to barely explore and avoid a lot of fights, an extra 5-10 agility gem or 2 early on and some 10% hp gems makes up for a missing level or 2 pretty quickly.

The inventory management is a weak point though, can't argue that.

Blind Sally posted:

Furthermore, sometimes the armour with the best stats look terrible on your character. So you often have to sacrifice your stats in order to properly accessorize and look like a badass.

Yes, I do this. :colbert:

Does heavy armor ever have slots? I'm using the heavy/orion gear on Reyn right now and while he looks cool as hell her gets no armor slots if I do, so +hp ends up on weapons and stuff like +recovery can't be used so I end up having to swap a piece out for it.

It'd be nice if heavy armor wasn't so rare, and useless for anything but pure-melee defense due to how much it sucks vs ether.

I was wondering if anyone has managed to make the jump on the Ice Slide to reach the mountain peak. No matter what I do I fall in the top lake and done even come close to reaching the ledge above it. Can you actually make the jump or did I spend 30 minutes on something futile that you can reach elsewhere/later on?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Alris posted:

If it's the one I am thinking of it can be done, but not without some movement speed enhancing gear/gems.

I didn't think about those at all. Assuming you're referring to the one I am (I can't think of any others) I'll have to grab some of those and see how it goes. All the speed you need comes from the 2nd area since right? It doesn't seem like you can keep speed from the first and not die on impact at the 2nd.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Anhedonia posted:

wii won't read the disc... I tried the ghetto makeshift cleaner, I don't know what else to do :(

If your computer's good enough, fire up dolphin?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

You can't really "prevent" an attack from happening really. It's going to happen no matter what, but what you can do is usually soften the blow or redirect so it's not an issue.

Aside from topple/daze, the trick/bug I mentioned earlier definitely works when the enemy's focused on you. If your main character is being targeted you can run far enough away and the enemy's charge up gets canceled completely but it only seems to work for abilities that were shown for counter with the monado.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^^^^^^ you can also topple/stun them in a chain attack to cancel any skill being prepped. (edit: This was for dumb brunette, who was the last post when I started writing this)

Dr. Stab posted:

I like how the game remembers what equipment you were wearing when it does flash backs. Any other game probably wouldn't bother.

It's kind of goofy in some cases since there's times where you see a scene multiple times and it always uses your outfit from the first time it's shown. In one case this meant I had an entirely different outfit on from what the flashback was showing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Are you talking about the scene where Mr. Antiqua is killed? Because it's the only scene I can think of where you both flash forward and flash back to it.

That would be it, yes.

Ledneh posted:

Now that I'm told not to sell Materials I'm constantly not having enough gold to buy anything at the stores. :smith:

Never buy equipment*, only skill books IMO.

*rare exception would be for certain weapons and the occasional unique armor. Also run more sidequests.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

Once you've (mid-game spoiler)rebuilt Colony 6 to a healthy degree (levels 4-5 in Commerce), some shops start popping up that only operate during a few hours of the day/night. IIRC that's all it means. I don't think an individual store's inventory ever changes.

That's a mid-game spoiler? Either it's optional and I've skipped it, thinking it would just come up, or this game's going to take me 80 hours to beat. I'm at 41 or 42 hours played and at Galahad Fortress, currently level 54 because I beat all 4(?) optional boss-kill quests outside. 3 gave orion gear and the last one was a lvl 55 guy that gave 2 gems. I want to believe I'm only at the mid point of the game but I can't imagine an RPG being made that's a 70-80 hour playthrough, it'd just make me too happy.

Fun Times! posted:

A lot of the gimmicky ones can be ignored (air defense etc). What you want are stat-increasing, defense-increasing, art-effectiveness kind of gems. Later on you'll make better ones and it becomes more worthwhile.

If you max something like Air Defense to 100% doesn't that mean you never get aggro short of bumping in to the enemy? Never bothered with it but when I had some earth defense stuff on unique gear I noticed I could get very close to enemies and they wouldn't attack.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I was running around the fallen arm area using Dunban, Melia, and Riki for awhile, with riki as my main and dunban using 50% to double attack (plus his skill). No crazy linking with others but man, when he uses his haste aura and gets a 70% haste bonus, with 55% double attack rate he's just a buzzsaw. Does his skill stack with haste gems? Haven't made any yet but I have some level 3 stuff that could probably make 1, maybe 2.

I'm getting level 4 drops now for gems but none have haste on them yet, I'm in the next area, using 7th in place of Reyn. Doesn't hold aggro as well but stuff dies way faster since 7th is using the 50% double attack instead of dunban.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

HerraS posted:

Man, is is just me or do the enemies suddenly get a giant leap in deadliness from Sword Valley onwards? I'm making my way to the Central Factory and suddenly I'm running into enemies that are on a lower level than me but still kick my rear end.

Are you referring to stuff like the giant-as-gently caress mobile fortresses and the tentacle dudes setup like the Gaur Plains boss? Guys like them can be a pain but once you know how they work they're not too bad.

Ered posted:

I only figured it out around the point where Shulk can only do 1 damage to the assassins. And that's when it hit me that it was the first spot in the game fighting other Homs.

It came up kind of quickly for me because you see the cutscene early on where Fiora gets hit and Shulk says his whole "I wasn't worried about you because Homs can't be hurt by it" thing, then you fight Metal Face, who can't be hurt by it.

Oh, and Metal Face is a major rear end in a top hat like...

I ended up with 2 things figured out from that first fight, but the Colony 6 fight pretty much confirmed my thoughts about Metal Face even if the game didn't for another 20 hours.
I think I over analyze games while I play them. :sigh:

It's still been more fun than I've had with a game for quite some time though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

HerraS posted:

Some of these Heart-to-Hearts make me feel fuzzy and warm inside.

Riki just told Shulk that he'll be Shulk's new daddypon so he can have a family to return to once their journey is over.

:3:

Riki is the best character in cutscenes, hands down. My favorite so far is when he's on the beach with Melia and Dunban, Dunban mentions the relationship between Shulk and Fiora, and Riki ends up giving him parenting advice. The best character is also the oldest one, when was the last time that happened in a (J)RPG?

I don't suppose you can actually get Unstoppable gems anywhere, and they're just gimmick items to make special characters unable to die in the 2(?) fights you have them, right?

Chaltab posted:

I'm sure Nintendo's watching it considering one of their first party studios made it.

I'll buy a WiiU at launch if it has a Xenoblade 2(or equivalent) for among the launch titles.

e: Are there official numbers for how many pre-orders they had in North America? Only numbers I find are from VGcharts but claims a bit over 187k units were pre-ordered. If it's a real number and not just VGcharts being themselves, that's pretty impressive considering this had no actual advertisement beyond word of mouth.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 17, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Here, made a side-by-side:

:gizz:

My NG+ run might have to be on Dolphin if I can get the :effort: to install it and transfer the save from my Wii.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nucular Carmul posted:

I got this game yesterday. I just figured out gem crafting and I can't stop. I discovered the secret to getting a couple of level 2 gems out of level 1 materials. I have five loving pages of crystal bullshit someone help I have to keep crafting

edit: Ahahaha I just made two different gems with two ~90% vials :getin:

Mega Heat is your friend, but crafting too much can be your enemy. When I went back and made a bunch of 22-24% HP and a slew of other level 4 crystals (including +electric for Melia) the game's difficulty dropped sharply. It was already dipping down since I was usually 2-3 levels higher than needed, and often the same level as Bosses, or higher. I was level 55 when I fought Gold Face and got 7th, I know that fight was likely intended to be hard as all hell but between Reyn with his 700+ defense (and 9999hp) and Sharla spamming heals I never felt at risk.

I'm still giving Riki/7th/Sharla a go and finding it fun. I want to throw dunban in there with a bunch of Haste and Double attack but Riki doesn't feel even close to having enough healing to make up for losing Sharla. This game needs 4 person parties, or maybe 5...:sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Alectai posted:

Well, you do get a very large XP bonus for completing all of those sidequests, so it's worth it.

Good luck with the level 68 Unique though, that fucker can shred you in a hurry if you don't stay on top with Purges.

The perma-thorns one? I have gotten him down under 5% 3 times and every time I do he just seems to decide "gently caress you I'm going to do my aoe follow by my single target skill non-stop so that you can't ever safely hit me." :suicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Karthe posted:

Welp...I accidentally deleted my 40-hour save after bumping Zr on the load screen and confirming deletion thanks to muscle memory. I was level 41 and was just about to return to the High Entia castle to send Melia to the Entia tomb. Does anyone have a save file around that point that they could send me? I'm not looking forward to replaying everything to get back to that point, I spent soooo much time on side quests. :(

I cannot stress enough that all 3 save slots should be used regularly and cycling between at least 2 of them, of not all 3. Everyone should do this. I almost deleted my save at about 30 hours and after the mild panic, started saving across all 3 slots so that I'd only lost 1-2 hours tops, usually.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

If you were using the classic controller, you'd have to stop moving to select arts.

I prefer the wiimote and nunchuck, myself.

I can move and still select arts using a classic controller. :smug:
Use your pointer finger on the directional pad while still moving with your thumb.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BitterAvatar posted:

So I'm working on an optional boss fight in the Swamp at around level 33. It's the stupid named Igna in the large ruins. He does some crazy move that seems to always be instant death for one character, but also hits my entire squad.

Is the only way to protect from an attack like that toppling him with a chain attack or using the Monado shield ability?

My current squad is Reyn/Sharla/Shulk, so not sure if I should adjust my squad.

I mentioned it back early in the thread but you can always cheese those visions by running far nough away that the enemy's attack gets canceled. For that jerk in the ruins you can usually get it to happen in the hallway, then you run back in and fight until he does it again, rinse and repeat. It's cheesy though and probably a bug since it doesn't reset the fight.

e: Using that trick I beat that boss when I was 1 level lower than him. Suck on that you 5k damage-spamming jerk. :smug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Marogareh posted:

Not having haste VI and double attack VI makes it unappealing though.

Can't you put both of those in his weapon?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm going through Bionis Core using Riki, Dunban, and 7th currently. I managed to get maxed cold damage bonus for Riki (have zero +fire/poison/bleed dmg crystals/gems) and between that and things like double attack/haste, everything just dies so fast. Only named enemies are occasionally making me swap dunban for sharla, or in one case, Shulk because one of the telethia guys uses super aura which heals 14.5k hp every few seconds and I can't out DPS it.

Using those 3 though, it's like a blender. Magic-specific enemies? Freezinate, Burninate, Lurgy, Freezinate again, and they're already dead before Bitey-Bitey lands.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Daynab posted:

That was basically my exact problem. I grinded mobs in that zone, those I could anyway. Then I explored around zones getting all the locations I had missed. Did some quests from lower levels... But mostly grinding. Got to about 72-73 before I did the boss in that location. That's the bare minimum by the way, cause you aren't far from the end.

I was the same, I think I finished the area at 72-73. Just beat the game at level 78, using shulk, sharla, 7th, and constantly spamming monado shield/speed because gently caress the 2nd part is so goddamn hard otherwise.

But holy poo poo the ending. I had guessed at what it might be but drat it was good. Took roughly 63 hours to beat the game. I don't even remember what the last RPG is that took me over 60 hours. Skyrim was 40 with a ton of exploration, FF6 was 46 hours because I spent 7-8 grinding dinos. Even Baldur's Gate II I'm pretty sure is less than that even on an exploration-heavy playthrough that includes Watcher's Keep.

Easily the best RPG I've played in recent memory. Nintendo better throw giant sacks of money at Monolith and get a Xenoblade 2 even if it'd have to be a new setting. The ending really doesn't leave the Monado stuff for it, but some world exploration could be amazing, but if it involves open ocean it needs to me more like windwaker, less like Suikoden 4.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ScarletBrother posted:

So I'm at the point of no return and am level 78. Is this a good level for the final area?

I was the same level there and the boss fight felt like a final boss fight should.

DTaeKim posted:

I couldn't find a Bitter Kiwi to save my life. I didn't even know what I was missing in Makra Forest until I talked to a NPC and realized he talked about an item I never saw. Promptly traded for it.

I never found empress beetles and it made me decide that colony 6 could gently caress off. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I liked the story for the most part. I did find it kind of dumb/absurd that (post game spoiler) the universe was destroyed by a scientific experiment, with a new one being made that happened to allow Zanza to play God. I knew Alvis wasn't normal in any way but his identity was a bit over the top to me. The old over-the-top Xenogears excess was starting to show though.

NG+ is a bit pointless for anything but a speed run though. Was kind of hoping for a Tales styled NG+ complete with special additional bosses. Might try to blitz through it but for the most part, there's not a lot of a reason to go completionist on NG+.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

J posted:

edit: Figured it out - Using reflection after hitting the novas once really helped lessen how much damage Melia was taking, and then when Lorithia would go to resummon them I used her topple kick to interrupt that and buy a lot more time free from the novas. It also helped getting lucky and not having her use the big confuse bomb attack more than once.

Be happy, when I did that fight 7th got confused or something, and ran off in to the far end of one of the damage pools, died, and was impossible to reach to rez. As a result this left Brave Heropon Riki and sidekick Sharla to take the boss from 80% to dead.

It too too goddamn long but Riki's a lot of asskicking packed in to a small :3: body so victory was inevitable.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Great, thunder storm forced me to stop playing the game after the point of no return in Prison Island. Which means I've going to have to fight Dickson all over again and then all the ghosts...

I have no idea how to go about tackling Xanza--it's not that I'm getting Spiked to death, it's not any particular status effect, it's just he does so much drat damage.

I found it worked well to use monado shield any time it's not up, and monado speed on 7th since I had Shulk with maxxed double attack, which made him able to fill the gauge fast as hell and kept 7th nearly untouchable and Sheila/Shulk shielded from certain skills. Although if I had gained 2-3 more levels the fight would've been a hell of a lot simpler.

I pretty much never did chain attacks either. I always used the bars for revive/warning. Next time I do the fight I'll probably get to 80 first and try my original team of Riki/7th/Dundun but the lack of consistent healing, or monado power, will probably be hell.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

He wasn't even that hard. The REAL challenge is definitely Lorithia.

gently caress that fight and the bullshit that forced me to do it with only 2 party members. :argh:

Alectai posted:

Yeah, I only needed two attempts on Lorithia, while Last Boss took me a good two hours to beat, mostly because he kept using that one move (You know the one) that hits half the battlefield with drat near eight-thousand damage.

If it's the move I'm thinking of block it with monado shield. spam monado shield and the occasional monado speed on your tank, and it's way easier since what hits you do take will be far and few, except during the adds which are annoying fucks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

The Mechon eat people, remember. That Ether goes straight to powering the Mechon, and never touches the Bionis.

I think this might be wrong since in one cutscene it's mentioned like the people of Bionis thought they did but people weren't being eaten so much as taken and turned in to Faces, specifically to fight against the Monado.

Fibby Boy posted:

I was gonna offer up a consolation but it'd ruin more so story for you. Damnit, I wanna make it all up.

By the way, does anyone know just what agility does? I've got shulk and dunban loaded up with agility gems in an attempt to figure out what it does but I'm drawing a blank.

Agility is dodging and accuracy. Remember those times where you couldn't hit poo poo that was just 2-3 levels above you? Some agility gems fix that.

Also you can use them to turn Dunban in to a Bruce Lee-grade hit avoiding/enemy destroying machine because Dundun with tons of agility is a monster.

WaffleStomp posted:

How widespread is the issue where certain older wii models won't read this disc? I'm planning on picking this up today but my Wii was bought a few weeks after launch. I never had any problems reading Brawl, which was dual layer, but am I at a high risk of encountering a 'cannot play disc' error with this?

I played through the game, without issue, on a launch day Wii that hadn't seen use since Super Smash Bros Brawl. I can't use the Wii store unless I send it back for about $80 worth of repairs and gently caress that. :argh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm not really sure what to do with him yet, actually. All the other characters I've gathered so far have pretty obvious roles (Shulk is DPS, Reyn is a tank, Sharla heals, Melia uses offensive magic, Dunban can Break>Topple all by himself and is amazing) and then here's this little bouncing furry thing that has like half again the HP of the tank and lots of skills that do all sorts of things.

Dundun tank in traditional anime style of dodging everything while dressing like a gentleman. :japan:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

NG+ is cool if you missed stuff the first time through, like maxing party affinities, seeing heart-to-hearts, and helping with Colony 6's restoration.

I wish you could reset levels though (even if you keep items) because it'd make it more interesting. I mean it's not like things are going to be that hard with Shulk running around with his own Monado, destroying everything from the get-go but a NG+ where you keep levels really only makes sense for games like Chrono Trigger where you have to do that in order to get certain endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

How do people build Shulk? Once you stop fighting mechon, he just sort of sucks for everything but dealing with visions.

I used him (with double attack gems) to beat the final boss because I could have monado shield + speed up at all times. When your tank character gets a free pass at some skills due to shield, while dodging 90% of everything else with speed, Shulk proves his worth.

• Locked thread